8.6

1. Sep 22, 2012
    I thought the break-away from the 'realistic' graphic style was going to detract from my experience. But the level of details they went into in this game, combined with the successful models for loot and dungeon randomization, results in a worthy sequel and a good, solid ARPG that makes the loot grind worth it. Get it. Got it? Good.
  2. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is pure gold. Awesome, dynamic and exciting combat, tons of options with skills and items, enormous locations. By the way, locations are way ahead of those in Torchlight 1, more beautiful and detailed not just a bunch of square rooms. Also there is some unique stuff going on in some locations, so Runic made a huge improvement on the game world. So, Torchlight 2 is superb, andThis game is pure gold. Awesome, dynamic and exciting combat, tons of options with skills and items, enormous locations. By the way, locations are way ahead of those in Torchlight 1, more beautiful and detailed not just a bunch of square rooms. Also there is some unique stuff going on in some locations, so Runic made a huge improvement on the game world. So, Torchlight 2 is superb, and even if you happen to dislike something about it then you can wait for some cool mods to appear. Expand
  3. Sep 22, 2012
    I'm quite proud to say that this is the only ARPG that does and will have me continually coming back. During classes I would be anticipating getting out just so I could play in between them and after the day had ended. Now that the weekend is here, I have found myself playing nearly all day.

Apart from its highly addictive quality for someone who has never really been addicted to ARPGs, Runic simply did EVERYTHING else right! Attack animations are beautiful along with the environment (the randomization in this game is GREAT) and creature design. The pacing at which everything is done is fantastic as you move at a blazing pace through the world in a way that does not make the game feel rushed, only action packed. Spells firing in a splendor of just-the-right-amount-of-color-ridden awesomeness makes you really feel like you're accomplishing some feats of strength!

And how about that LOOT! Itemization in this game is entirely stupendous. At level 3 I was already having to debate a decision between two items. So many of the items feel very useful and viable in some way. The rate at which yellow rare items (uniques) drop is just right so far. Just long enough between intervals to where you're hoping for one yet not long enough to where you want to give up. Then there's the rush about whether or not when you identify that it will be useful for your class. I've found that if a unique is not what my current char needs, then it usually is useful for one of my others. Items have very interesting affixes as well.

Difficulty has been ramped up since the first game. Unfortunately the only way to accurately judge if you've chosen the right difficulty is to get to the very last of A1/ beginning of A2 as that is a much more accurate representation of what you will be facing for your difficulty choice. I thought veteran was going to be just barely too easy. . . and then Act II came and put up quite the challenge (possibly even a bit too much for me!)

The polish time spent on this game that pushed the date back was well worth it. So far, in terms of a patch wish list, the only thing I can think that I would want is just a few ui additions (which can also be easily modded, another great feature for the game's longevity). There's nothing wrong with the UI that is there, but a few cool additions would be neat. Not an improvement to other features, but additions of new ones.

Overall, runic really outdid themselves. There is a reason why this game is getting such grand scores from metacritic and professional reviewers. . . and it's because it rocks...real hard. While the game is worth a 60$ price tag you can essentially steal it for the price of 20$!! Wow! For a wonderful little 'box' of fun, just go and buy it! You will not regret it. :)

[And remember, you can like both Diablo III and Torchlight 2! ;) Even though I do prefer TL2 significantly more, these games can live in peace with each other!]
  4. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is pure ARPG bliss. I have enjoyed every second of it's massive outdoor areas, pitch perfect loot system, challenging bosses, awesome skills and weapons, and fun quests. Exploration is enjoyable and rewarded, the enemies look great and are fun to fight, and the environments are gorgeous and SO HUGE. They are filled with all sorts of secrets and mysteries to be revealed. There isThis game is pure ARPG bliss. I have enjoyed every second of it's massive outdoor areas, pitch perfect loot system, challenging bosses, awesome skills and weapons, and fun quests. Exploration is enjoyable and rewarded, the enemies look great and are fun to fight, and the environments are gorgeous and SO HUGE. They are filled with all sorts of secrets and mysteries to be revealed. There is always another quest or elite mob around the corner. Every second of this game has been well worth the modest $20 dollar price tag. These developers have listened to player feedback on the forums every step through the beta and the result as been a game that delivers near euphoric amounts of fun. I'll be playing this game for years to come. Can't wait for the first bit of free DLC they put out. Expand
  5. Sep 23, 2012
    First of all if you like Action RPGs or if you already liked torchlight 1 the game is a no-brainer. The soundtrack and improved game play are also very addicting. The art style depends on personal taste and it is cartoon-ish but it does not feel out of place and is well made. All in all the game is one of the best Action RPGs released in the last years.
    So why did I choose a score of 9?
    So why did I choose a score of 9? It is the story which bothers me. While other games have some epic moments or have sudden twists the story of Torchlight 2 is just an excuse to get the player through three acts which is not that bad because everything else in the game is really well made and you soon forget about the weak story as soon as you enter the next dungeon to get more loot and experience points.
  6. Sep 23, 2012
    In Torchlight II the combat animations and feel of battle in general are liquid smooth, it just flows perfectly. It has so much more to offer than Diablo III. It actually has end game content with new game+, never ending REAL map randomizations, item enchantments, a real open world with a lot to explore, toooons of side quests, an awesome pet system, a better and more creative skill systemIn Torchlight II the combat animations and feel of battle in general are liquid smooth, it just flows perfectly. It has so much more to offer than Diablo III. It actually has end game content with new game+, never ending REAL map randomizations, item enchantments, a real open world with a lot to explore, toooons of side quests, an awesome pet system, a better and more creative skill system similar to the past Diablo title, better champion/boss fights, better item stats, endless content with the usage of game mods to create even more content for the game such as new quests, classes, items, UI enhancements, more pets, and so on! And there is just so much more that could be talked about too! Diablo III's main problem: Boooooring! I quit after about a month after launch when I got 3 level 60s because there was nothing to do. It's so straightforward: follow the path, look for the blinking icon on the map, no adventuring, no side questing, no fun. Quit for nearly 3 months total, came back when I saw the 1.0.4 patch, played for about a week, then quit again... now I am gone for good since TL2 is out! I have no regrets about leaving Diablo III behind even though I put a lot of hours into the game. Thank you Runic Games for making the ARPG that makes perfect sense!!! I will be playing Torchlight II for a long time, and I am excited to play it every single time! Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2012
    What a blast! This game is so much FUN - the story is interesting and surprises you constantly, the loot design is much fun - they aren't stingy with it at all, and I'm having fun collecting all sorts of interesting gear. I created an Embermage to hold gear for my hunter-type, and couldn't put the mage down to switch back to my higher level character! So addictive.

I've reached level 29

I've reached level 29 so far, and the experience so far has been excellent. The play style is intuitive and familiar without feeling overly familiar or repetitive. The game is extremely smooth and bug-free, which really helps keep up the feeling of immersion. The music is great, the environments stunningly beautiful. I was expecting a lot of out this game, because like everyone else, it was basically my last chance at a follow up to D2 - and it does _not_ disappoint!
  8. Sep 23, 2012
    I was surprised of how entertaining this game is. Here are a few reason why I personally like it.

1) The core gameplay is well done: It as satisfying skills and a good loot/itemization system. Hunting for treasure feels contently rewarding. The map are big and well randomized. It really encourage you to find every unexplored corner and kill every mobs to find chests, special events and so on. 2) There are many little systems that enrich the game. You have a pet that carry and sell spare loots for you, a enchanting system to put random attributes on your favourite items, transmuting to combine different items to create new ones, a gambling system similar to the one in diablo 2, etc. 3) Single player and mod support! Those two come hand in hand. It gives a lot of freedom of how to play the game. Ex. I personally dont like how respec work (only your last 3 skills). As soon as the mod tool is out il be able to change that to fit my own preferences. You can also play online/lan using the same characters. And just to nuance this review a bit, the bad sides would be:

- Some abilities felt a little bit delayed at first. However, I got used to it very quickly.
    - Loading times can be a little bit annoying but they aren't very long or too frequent. - Some beginners traps are learned the hard way: you can only respect 3 abilities back so plan them carefully. I shouldn't have sold the unique (yellow/golden) items I dint use because you can transmute them together in act 2.
    - The story,while not terribly deep, is slightly confusing at first. That might be because its a sequel. You get a better sense of it as you progress. While not necessarily a bad thing, its the same formula as Diablo 2 story: the big bad guy as passed before you and as left the place corrupted. You must fix the mess he left behind while chasing after him.)
    - Not fully voice acted. No voice acting on secondary quest dialogue so its sometime tempting to skip the text. Especially that you will want to keep hitting things right Now for a bit of ranting not directly concerning the gameplay...

Torchlight II vs Diablo 3: Its impossible to avoid this comparison. The main difference is that Diablo 3 forced you online. TLII is a singleplayer with coop option, D3 is a multiplayer game that you can play alone but forced on the same terms as everyone else. Every big design decisions can be traced back to that difference. The D3 auction house plays an especially big part in all this (in my opinion it impacted the looting system in a bad way). In the end D3 should please the more competitive players. However by eliminating offline play, blizzard alienated many players. For me Diablo 2 at is best was played single player (or lan with close friends) using mods. That is impossible to do in D3. TLII filled that hole left by D3. Both games offers things that the other doesn't but I find TL2 more versatile with the choices of online/offline play and mod support.

While both franchises are different they are also strikingly similar in a way. Diablo fans also feel right at home in TLII. I feel very nostalgic playing the game because it reminds me of D1 and D2 so much. I was not surprised to learn that many of the developers of TL2 worked on those 2 games and that the music composer was also the same (you get a very Tristam vibe in act 1 with the soft acoustic guitar).

I also have a lot of respect for the developers for their very customer friendly decisions. There are no obstructive DRM (like online only) and the price is beyond reasonable (20$). They also support and even encourage modding (modding toolset coming soon). MODDING, MORE MODS! I know I keep repeating myself on that point but its a very important things for me as a player. My favourite RPGs are those with a very healthy modding communities. Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Dragon Age: Origins (sadly a big step back in mod support for DA:2) are all games that I kept playing a long time after completion solely because of mods. While Diablo 2 dint have modding tools it still had some great mods like Ancestral Recall and the still popular MedianXL that I actually played a lot more then the original game. Sadly because of restrictive DRM doubled with the desire to sell DLC, games with mod support are becoming a rare breed.

So bottom line: I'm loving Torchlight II both because of its fun gameplay and the freedom it gives me. I'm glad to support any game developers that take this direction! 9/10 Wow, thats a bit TL:DR but once I started writing it escalated quickly! :P
  9. Sep 23, 2012
    This is an absolutely fantastic effort by Runic, and proves to be a god-tier ARPG with versatile skill trees, ideal difficulty (on veteran IMO), and engaging combat. That said, it doesn't really innovate too much on the ARPG template of loot-kill-loot-kill that we all know and (might) love, with the notable exception of the incredibly convenient pet system. I've already sunk many hoursThis is an absolutely fantastic effort by Runic, and proves to be a god-tier ARPG with versatile skill trees, ideal difficulty (on veteran IMO), and engaging combat. That said, it doesn't really innovate too much on the ARPG template of loot-kill-loot-kill that we all know and (might) love, with the notable exception of the incredibly convenient pet system. I've already sunk many hours into this gem, and I'm sure my social life will continue to be crippled for weeks to come at LAN parties and late night single player sessions. The $20 price tag is practically thievery, so you should probably buy it right now, even if you don't even WANT it. Only point reduction is for lack of originality, but honestly, it's an insignificant niggle and won't effect your enjoyment too much. Why haven't you bought it yet? Was I not clear or something? Expand
  10. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is truly outstanding. I am new to the ARPG genre, and it definitely keeps the player engaged in the action. For a price of $20 along with free DLC and a full TorchED system in the near future, this game definitely has to be the best bang for the buck. I preordered the game through steam because I was looking to play something different, and after playing the first TorchlightThis game is truly outstanding. I am new to the ARPG genre, and it definitely keeps the player engaged in the action. For a price of $20 along with free DLC and a full TorchED system in the near future, this game definitely has to be the best bang for the buck. I preordered the game through steam because I was looking to play something different, and after playing the first Torchlight (came with the preorder), I had to agree that a co-op feature was desperately needed. I recently played this game with a friend of mine, and the gameplay is seamlessly smooth. It's the truest form of co-op I have ever played. Even to the point that players can be in different realms on the same server, yet still remain on a synchronized server. Outstanding. I didn't know how much to expect for only $20, but I will say that this game is easily worth $40. No game is really worth $60, but sometimes we do what we must. I think Runic's tactic here longterm will bring them much more in terms of profits. A $20 game is safe gamble-- they can rake in new players, and I for one, am sure that I will buy any Runic titles in the future. I have been disappointed by EA and Activision far too many times. They don't even try to impress their player base anymore... not to mention the myriad of bugs at release. This game runs as smooth as silk from day one. Anyway, purchase this game, or at least try the Free Demo on steam to see what you think. It's definitely worth the buy, its A TON of fun. Also, to those who say the game is not challenging, it starts out easy, but get much more difficult as you progress through the game. Thanks for reading, and do the right thing. Buy this game! Expand
  11. Sep 24, 2012
    This is exactly what Diablo III should have been. It's a hundred times better and anyone who says otherwise has obviously never played the game - twenty dollars, full modding support, offline play, a legitimate class system, and you actually get to choose your skills. That alone should be enough to buy this game.
  12. Sep 24, 2012
    I honestly believe reviews should be about the game in question and not be biased by other reviews or anything else for that matter.People coming here giving 0 to balance out something they personally feel is wrong is just a proof of their lack of intelligence.Now on to the game itself:.I played it and found it to be a wonderful game with atmosphere and game-play I yet have to see inI honestly believe reviews should be about the game in question and not be biased by other reviews or anything else for that matter.People coming here giving 0 to balance out something they personally feel is wrong is just a proof of their lack of intelligence.Now on to the game itself:.I played it and found it to be a wonderful game with atmosphere and game-play I yet have to see in another RPG.Do not listen to the people boycotting this game and saying it's bad and it doesn't offer a challenge because they are obviously great big liars who couldn't have seen anything relevant in the game since it's release.They are making up half of the bad observations on it just because they are butt-hurt over people saying it's better then diablo 3 which in my opinion is not far fetched at all.The music and scenery in the game is beautiful as expected and the boss fights are amazing too.I urge the diablo 3 and blizzard fan(atic)s to please leave this game alone and mind your own business.We don't go on diablo 3's score and unfairly rate it without having even played it,buy the game and actually play it please and then come here and rate it honestly if you want to appear credible because honestly so far I haven't seen to many honest bad reviews. Expand
  13. Sep 24, 2012
    Ahh yes, its finally here. The game Diablo fanboys have been waiting to come out to either: 1. Praise for being just like 1&2 OR 2. Take a dump all over it because its a clone of Diablo 3. Similar to Diablo 3 yes but also better for a lot of reasons. Torchlight II is for people who like to tweak their experience to their play style whereas Diablo 3 forcefeeds you skills, talents, andAhh yes, its finally here. The game Diablo fanboys have been waiting to come out to either: 1. Praise for being just like 1&2 OR 2. Take a dump all over it because its a clone of Diablo 3. Similar to Diablo 3 yes but also better for a lot of reasons. Torchlight II is for people who like to tweak their experience to their play style whereas Diablo 3 forcefeeds you skills, talents, and modifiers. This game has NO AUCTION HOUSE making every juicy piece of loot earned and not gold-farmed or bought with actual money. But enough about Diablo lets talk about some T2 details. The graphics are really great. The graphical style of T2 goes perfectly with the lighter atmophere the game presents to you with cartoon flare and explosions that can fill the entire birdseye view at points. The soundtrack its just quite simply amazing. Composed by the great Matt Uelmen (Diablo, Diablo 2, WoW: BC, Starcraft) which morphs from sparse picking of a guitar to gawdy thick choir chanting and whatnot. At the time of this review there are bugs that can be annoying but Runic is working on them every day. I can't wait to see the mods that come out later on for this game. Expand
  14. Sep 24, 2012
    Better then Diablo 3 for the third of the price. Those who like the gameplay of diablo 1 and 2 gonna prefer Torchlight series because it look more like it. One little problem: Normal mode is a little too easy. So if you have play other hack and slash, play at veteran level of difficulty.
  15. Sep 24, 2012
    Beautiful game! A true deserving successor of Diablo I and II and basically the only point-click ARPG left that keeps intact the initial roots that made them so successful.
    As many of us here, I bought Diablo 3 waiting for an amazing new era of the benchmark of ARPGs, however I was completely disappointed and disgusted with what they made out of it. Torchlight 2 on the other hand, did almost everything right this time around. It kept the same feeling of continuous exploration/adventure by having randomized maps. It kept the quirky little things that made the game special for most of us, like scrolls, spells dropping from mobs, town portals, etc. Most importantly it also got the loot system right!! They do understand what is what made Diablo I and II successful regarding loot system, things like having random gear sets dropping from mobs from level 1, keeping the hierarchy of rare items and managing to keep an interesting socketing system without being overpowered. The talent system and character progression is the same old (in a good way) system from Torchlight I and Diablo I and II, which allows you to have a dual progress of your character by having a spell's tree and a character attributes customization. Now on to what Torchlight offers IN TOP of getting the old school mechanics right. 1) Pets and fishing, still a side dish to the game but amazingly fun and interactive to what you do. 2) Weapons, great deal of them!! and actually viable weapon switches. I don't feel pigeon holed into a weapon that "my class is supposed to use". 3) Classes, yes!!!, they managed to do a different style of classes without screwing up, now there are not entirely different per say, but a little twist here and there in each one of them keeps it fresh. Now the things that need improving: Internet multiplayer system is very outdated. This is probably the only place where D3 has the upper hand. Of course, we are talking about a $20 game with 2-3 years of development VS millions of $ + 10 years + global online infrastructure (battle.net) + $60 price tag. The other part than could be better are graphics and sound. While graphics have a nice approach with the cartoonish style, they really could use a better engine. Sound is unfortunately lackluster, the quality of it I mean. Conclusion: Best point-click Action RPG since Diablo 2, plain a simple. It deserves a 10/10 because above all we are talking about a $20 game, that did everything right plus more. Could use improvements in the multiplayer internet system, graphics and sound, but for it's price tag I feel that we are getting FAR more. Finally, the support that as customers we should provide to this team and Runic, they clearly have the TALENT there without the greediness and sloppy ideas that made Diablo 3 fail, at the end of the day I think is about having Talented people designing the game, and that's what this team has and Blizzard doesn't anymore.
  16. Sep 24, 2012
    Following up on the successful "Torchlight" release, Torchlight II has not failed to impress. Nothing too game breaking, but the creators just "get it". Gameplay, helpful loot drops, interesting bosses; TL2 is successful where its biggest competitor (D3) has failed so far. For the price ($20) this game is hard to beat. If you haven't played the first, don't worry, jump into this andFollowing up on the successful "Torchlight" release, Torchlight II has not failed to impress. Nothing too game breaking, but the creators just "get it". Gameplay, helpful loot drops, interesting bosses; TL2 is successful where its biggest competitor (D3) has failed so far. For the price ($20) this game is hard to beat. If you haven't played the first, don't worry, jump into this and start having fun. Expand
  17. Sep 24, 2012
    This is by far the best game in its genre to date. The speed of play combined with the instant gratification and progress of your character create an experience that is nearly impossible to tear yourself away from. The frenetic boss encounters, challenging mobs and the possibility of EPIC LOOT add to the feeling of constant progress which marks Torchlight 2 as an ultimate achievement notThis is by far the best game in its genre to date. The speed of play combined with the instant gratification and progress of your character create an experience that is nearly impossible to tear yourself away from. The frenetic boss encounters, challenging mobs and the possibility of EPIC LOOT add to the feeling of constant progress which marks Torchlight 2 as an ultimate achievement not only in its genre but in the grand spectrum of entertainment as a whole. I cannot recommend this game more highly. For the experienced dungeon crawler or to the Hack n' Slash first timer this game is sure to hit the loot button in us all. Not just once but hundreds of times. Expand
  18. Sep 24, 2012
    Amazing is simply an understatement whilst playing Torchlight II, this, like the predecessor of Torchlight I contains the same, intuitive content and stunning gameplay, but as they said have added a whole new multiplayer platform boosting player experience on a whole new level adding in player interaction, trading, and instance based multiplayer combat. I personally have always found theAmazing is simply an understatement whilst playing Torchlight II, this, like the predecessor of Torchlight I contains the same, intuitive content and stunning gameplay, but as they said have added a whole new multiplayer platform boosting player experience on a whole new level adding in player interaction, trading, and instance based multiplayer combat. I personally have always found the Torchlight series much better than other dungeon crawlers such as the infamous Diablo series and the team at Runic have never ceased to amaze me with the modifiability, support and all the features packed into the Torchlight series making this the epiphany of Dungeon crawler games as of 2012. Expand
  19. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is really a vast improvement over the first. Obviously the co-op is a big part of the improvement, but the graphics and game play have been tweaked for the better making the cell shaded graphics less blocky and with the addition of new characters that you can customize as opposed to the ones in part 1 where you simply pick from the ones pre-made. Items are easier to swap betweenThis game is really a vast improvement over the first. Obviously the co-op is a big part of the improvement, but the graphics and game play have been tweaked for the better making the cell shaded graphics less blocky and with the addition of new characters that you can customize as opposed to the ones in part 1 where you simply pick from the ones pre-made. Items are easier to swap between inventories and markets while you now have better options for your pet. The skill menu was is now improved by tiers as opposed to 1/20 like in T1. The story is drastically better too, as opposed to the more generic one in part where it was just kill god/demon and end of story, now one of the previous main characters the Alchemist (who you may have played as like me if you chose the spell caster) has now gone insane as hinted at the end of part 1 with power and is causing devastation around the world and has defeated his previous partners making the player a new character set on the path to stop him.

Over all, and THIS is what you care about, the game is just more fun to play and isn't that what really matters?
  20. Sep 25, 2012
    It was kind of disappointing that I had to wait for a year to finally play this game, but it was totally worth pre-purchasing. I totally enjoyed it when it came out. Even though I couldn't play online at first, single player totally satisfied me. It is so much better than the first Torchlight game because Runic Games totally listened to critics about making this game coop and otherIt was kind of disappointing that I had to wait for a year to finally play this game, but it was totally worth pre-purchasing. I totally enjoyed it when it came out. Even though I couldn't play online at first, single player totally satisfied me. It is so much better than the first Torchlight game because Runic Games totally listened to critics about making this game coop and other features that others have requested. This game really feels complete. I totally love fast-paced games, and this game is totally fast-paced. The action fighting is where all the speed. Even like the cartoon-styled art. I know some people don't like it, but if the graphic style were to change completely versus the 1st game, then I don't think it would be worth calling it the 2nd Torchlight. I'm glad that Runic Games kept lots of originality in the art style. Buying this game for $20 is totally worth it. I held off from buying the "rival" game, Diablo 3, because it was too expensive for me... I did not hesitate to buy TL2 because of the great price it displayed. Thank you, Runic Games, for giving people many hours of endless fun. I'm almost at 1 whole day of playing this game and it's only been out for 5 days so far. So overall, I give this game a 10/10, because it feels so complete compared to the first game. Loot on! ;D Expand
  21. Sep 25, 2012
    This is what D3 should have been. I highly suggest you buy the four pack on steam and play co-op with your friends. I had so much fun exploring the game and having FUN I lost track of time and here I am burning a sick day from work. :)
  22. Sep 25, 2012
    Much better than Diablo 3 this game is awesome i love every single monster kia in battle...LOVE LOVE LOVE this game you wont waste your money...DIABLO 3 ARE DEAD...RIP BLIZZARD AND ACTIVISION
  23. Sep 25, 2012
    This game is AWESOME

PERFECT in every points

I can't beleive that I bought this GREAT GAME for ONLY 20$

Thanks Runic for this game, you rock!
  24. Sep 26, 2012
    OK, I must confess I was only going for a 9.5 for TL2, but can only go whole numbers, so 10 / 10 it is. At first it's a bit cartoony to me, but get use to it pretty quick. The game play / boss / drops / offline / character designs.... are all great. Have been trying all the characters and didn't mind to run through the same quests again for all of them. One thing I would like to have isOK, I must confess I was only going for a 9.5 for TL2, but can only go whole numbers, so 10 / 10 it is. At first it's a bit cartoony to me, but get use to it pretty quick. The game play / boss / drops / offline / character designs.... are all great. Have been trying all the characters and didn't mind to run through the same quests again for all of them. One thing I would like to have is the ability to re-do an act so I can get the different pieces of the quest rewards! Not that's a big issues, just a personal thing for wanting to collect all the pieces (if I can). There's a slight bug / issue I have with the game, sometimes the mobs are off screen and literally becomes invisible but they can still attack you from that range. Not a big issue, but would be great if that's fixed. Actually there's another thing, would be great to respec more than 3 skill points (I don't mind using the console for the respec-potion though). Ah, and music / sound effect is great!
    I like the different magics / skill / gameplay / random dungeons at the end. Look forward for more patch / expansion / contents later, although even without them, I'll probably be playing for at least the next 6 months or so. =P

Awesome game for $20! It's almost a steal (buyer's advantage) . Must try for anyone that likes the ARPG genre.
  25. Sep 26, 2012
    Honnestly my best experience of gaming was with Diablo 2. I play like 2 years and i had awesome feelings. I waited a long time Diablo 3 and i played more than 350 Hours. It s a cool game but you know there is lot of troubles that everyone already knows. This game Torchlight is the next game i waited after Diablo 2 a strong substitute with good quality of gameplay. I play in Hc Elite and itHonnestly my best experience of gaming was with Diablo 2. I play like 2 years and i had awesome feelings. I waited a long time Diablo 3 and i played more than 350 Hours. It s a cool game but you know there is lot of troubles that everyone already knows. This game Torchlight is the next game i waited after Diablo 2 a strong substitute with good quality of gameplay. I play in Hc Elite and it s pretty tough. Not impossible but good challenge with my friend. I like trees skills , loots system and everything they did. Musics remember be Diablo 2 and the price of the game is really cool. I was confident about Runic skills and now i m sure they re really good . I wait double fine for a confirmation XD Expand
  26. Sep 26, 2012
    A real gem!

Torchlight 1 was a fun game but it lacked of some features, like multiple towns, endgame options and multiplayer. Torchlight 2 not only fixes those flaws but also adds a lot of content. There's plenty of loot (magic/rare/unique/legendary items). You can find socketed items and add gems to improve them. Better, you can even add sockets to your items if you manage to find a
    A real gem!

There's plenty of loot (magic/rare/unique/legendary items). You can find socketed items and add gems to improve them. Better, you can even add sockets to your items if you manage to find a rare NPC.

Got enough gold? Pay an enchanter to add random properties to an already epic item. Do some dungeon crawl and find a special enchanter to add specific properties related to one of four game 'elemental' (electric, fire, ice, poison).

I highly recommend it to any ARPG fans out there. And, yes, it's much better than Diablo 3.
  27. Sep 27, 2012
    Buy this. Seriously. It's fun. It's amazing. It would be too long to write all the innovations and the good points of the game, just try the free demo and see for yourself :)

I would love to give Runic the 90 euros I gave Blizzard for Diablo 3's Collector's Edition.
  28. Sep 28, 2012
    Torchlight II is a great hack n' slay even better than Diablo 3. I liked Diablo 3 a lot but at about 40-50 hours it was unplayable for me because it was too hard. In Torchlight II there was actually no Problem for me. What i think is great is that you can switch between lan single player and multiplayer. The drop-rate of good Items is a lot better than in Diablo 3 so you still don't needTorchlight II is a great hack n' slay even better than Diablo 3. I liked Diablo 3 a lot but at about 40-50 hours it was unplayable for me because it was too hard. In Torchlight II there was actually no Problem for me. What i think is great is that you can switch between lan single player and multiplayer. The drop-rate of good Items is a lot better than in Diablo 3 so you still don't need an Auction House. All in all I have to say: A great game with a not that great story and a low graphic but it is still FUN for about 20 Expand
  29. Sep 30, 2012
    Torchlight 2 brings ARPG gameplay to players at its best, the way in which enemies explode in gold or items makes the game incredibly exciting and challenging at the same time compared to torchlight 1 the difficulty of torchlight 2 makes the player feel threatened by even the smallest of enemies while still giving th player a sense of power over the environment. The newly fashioned coopTorchlight 2 brings ARPG gameplay to players at its best, the way in which enemies explode in gold or items makes the game incredibly exciting and challenging at the same time compared to torchlight 1 the difficulty of torchlight 2 makes the player feel threatened by even the smallest of enemies while still giving th player a sense of power over the environment. The newly fashioned coop mode adds a whole new level of enjoyment to the game playing with up to 6 people at once you get to collaborate with each other to fight bosses and share gear. I find the replayibility of the game incredibly high since release i've played hardcore mode on veteren 6 times with friends on coop and each of the times i've felt an equal or even higher sense of satisfaction from the game. The classes are incredibly diverse allowing the player to play a syle that suits him or her with all sorts of differet skill sets and gear this aspect of the game i feel is a major factor in the replayibility of the game. The only weak point i feel the storyline of the game which is inferior to that of diablo but this flaw is offseted by a multitude of incredibly well thought out features of the game such as dungeons boss fights and the open world itself where one can encounter a wide asortment of monsters. One of the best aspects of torchlight 2 i feel are the boss fights staged in grand arenas ,the pinacle of any ARPG they are well thought out and paced reasonably well depending or difficulty level the bosses themselves are unique in their own right and no where in the game have i found any clear sign of obivious copies of any one boss ,after grinding through the hard won boss fights the amount of enemy corpes on the floor gives me an incredibly feeling of satisfaction picking up the droped gear and gold is even more fulfilling. Overall i feel that torchlight 2 is an excellent game that has far surpassed my expectations setting an example for future games of this genre rivaling Diablo 3 in every way. Runic games has proven a worthy rival of Blizzard if not better. Expand
  30. Sep 30, 2012
    This game is great because of its nice graphics meaty action and the large amount of items you can have in the game. the demo is amazing because if you done want to pay for the game but you want to play a small amount of it you can the demo has a resanable size and with the four different charecters it has a fair amount of replayability. Overall great game. Definetly worth trying the demo.
  31. Sep 30, 2012
    My Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, thereMy Torchlight II review was deleted for some reason. It was rated very high as being a helpful review. I don't understand why it was deleted. Is Metacritic censoring people now? That's not a good way to get an accurate community opinion, but whatever, Metacritic is not the website that I thought it was.... Anyway, Im giving Torchlight II a 10 out of 10 because it is just plain fun, there is no other way to describe it. I don't understand how Blizzard took some 10 years to release a $60 game that failed so badly, while Runic took less than 3 years to release a $20 game that is universally loved. I feel sorry for all the people that were pulled into Diablo 3 by all the nostalgia only to find a real money pay to win auction house, and a constantly online DRM system designed to punish people that actually bought the game. Runic really likes their fans, and everything about Torchlight II shows that they really listen to them. Thank you Runic for showing the world how game companies are supposed to operate. Blizzard may have made more money by selling fake nostalgia, but Runic gained a lot more fans by selling a real product. Expand
  32. Sep 30, 2012
    Best $20 I've spent in a long time. As 1 of only 3 people to have NEVER played the Diablo series, I have no way of knowing how it compares. However, this game does bear many similarities to Dungeon Runners, that short lived MMO by NCSoft. But TL2 is a lot better by comparison. The monsters, boss fights, loot, game play, and landscapes are far more interesting, yet both make (or *made*Best $20 I've spent in a long time. As 1 of only 3 people to have NEVER played the Diablo series, I have no way of knowing how it compares. However, this game does bear many similarities to Dungeon Runners, that short lived MMO by NCSoft. But TL2 is a lot better by comparison. The monsters, boss fights, loot, game play, and landscapes are far more interesting, yet both make (or *made* in the case of DR) it very easy to jump in and start fighting, either alone or with others. Both games had a very similar art style, reminiscent of WOW, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Expand
  33. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is BRILLIANT! It is not as visually spectacular as Diablo 3 but anyway it's amazing how much you can squeeze from a lower budget when u have a proper development team. I never got into Torchlight 1, it was too "generic" and cartoony for me but this time they got it right. There are 4 classes, I picked an engineer and I can see i could do like 5-6 different builds playingThis game is BRILLIANT! It is not as visually spectacular as Diablo 3 but anyway it's amazing how much you can squeeze from a lower budget when u have a proper development team. I never got into Torchlight 1, it was too "generic" and cartoony for me but this time they got it right. There are 4 classes, I picked an engineer and I can see i could do like 5-6 different builds playing completely different styles. There is no respec so you need to think about your choices and even if you screw up you will know better next time - it was actually fun discovering the build possibilities on my own without any guides again. Just like in good old Diablo 2 days. Unfortunately, old school dungeon crawlers are not something I'm willing to invest time in but if you have a spare evening and don't know what to do - try T2. It's awesome. It has internet play and it costs £15 on steam. The only downside of this game is story - completely uninspiring and dull. I stopped reading quest text after first 30 minutes. That's why I give it a 9. Expand
  34. Oct 2, 2012
    I sunk 80 hours into this game. For 19 Euros this game was a steal. The gameplay is simple yet addicting. The itemprogression is what keeps you busy and constantly hunting for more and better items. The dungeons and bosses are way more versatile and interesting than the first game. The story is irrelevant in this game and not worth mentioning. It's a great game and for that price everyoneI sunk 80 hours into this game. For 19 Euros this game was a steal. The gameplay is simple yet addicting. The itemprogression is what keeps you busy and constantly hunting for more and better items. The dungeons and bosses are way more versatile and interesting than the first game. The story is irrelevant in this game and not worth mentioning. It's a great game and for that price everyone should pick it up. Expand
  35. Oct 3, 2012
    Outstanding ARPG Dungeon Crawler. 20 Bucks is such a low price for the games worth. I would pay a full 60 for this. Having a blast. Def check this game out.
  36. Oct 5, 2012
    10/10 Amazing game. Feels like diablo 2. Everything is perfect
    DEFINITE BUY. PERFECT DUNGEON CRAWL Worth much more than 20$. I cant believe I wasted 60$ on diablo 3!!!!
  37. Oct 6, 2012
    This game is simply amazing. It is simple yet there is so much content to be had/explored. For the price point of $20 it doesn't get any better than this! These guys are ex-Diablo developers and it shows. If you played and didn't love TL1 dw, this game is head and shoulders above anything TL was! It is, imo, also way better and more fun than Diablo 3. It has a longer campaign, moreThis game is simply amazing. It is simple yet there is so much content to be had/explored. For the price point of $20 it doesn't get any better than this! These guys are ex-Diablo developers and it shows. If you played and didn't love TL1 dw, this game is head and shoulders above anything TL was! It is, imo, also way better and more fun than Diablo 3. It has a longer campaign, more variety of mobs, more loot, more bosses and at times harder challenges. It is surely less polygons than D3 and has less engaging story than D3 (imo D3 already has a very weak story line) but the art style really grows on you and start loving it. It is very varied and never boring. The prospect of new features added by both Runic and the community through modding is such an exciting one! I can't express how glad I am that I actually made that $20 purchase. Absolutely worth it, especially if you like Diablo style ARPG. It is the epitome of it! Expand
  38. Sep 23, 2012
    This game is just...fun. It has an open world, big variety of environments and enemies, interesting classes and skills and so much more. It's bigger and better than the first game, and most importantly...it has multiplayer. It's just a good, solid ARPG, and any fans of the genre will surely love it.
  39. Sep 23, 2012
    I have to say this game is really well made. Torch2 runs very smooth and although I'm not a fan of the cartoony art style it is still a beautiful looking game. The loot system seems to crank out an endless stream of attractive and useful gear. The music creates a great mood for dungeon crawling and monster hunting. The skill trees seem to be pretty diverse by adding cool new powers orI have to say this game is really well made. Torch2 runs very smooth and although I'm not a fan of the cartoony art style it is still a beautiful looking game. The loot system seems to crank out an endless stream of attractive and useful gear. The music creates a great mood for dungeon crawling and monster hunting. The skill trees seem to be pretty diverse by adding cool new powers or augmenting existing ones for your character. The biggest improvments to this game over the first one is the open world and co-op/multi support. The original game although enjoyable left me feeling limited to the one town. In Torch2 you now have sprawling zones overflowing with baddies, loot, and side quests to really make this a great game. The power fx are also pretty good without being overdone and obnoxious. I am not comparing this game to any "other" title except Runic's previous title, so I am coming in to this unbiased. With a price tag of $20, loads of content, and the developers attention to detail this game easily ranks top marks in my book...10/10 can't beat this bargain. Expand
  40. Sep 23, 2012
    Un très bon jeu. Bien supérieur à diablo 3 à son lancement. (oui déjà TL2 fonctionne dès la première minute juste après le DL).

De bon graphismes, dynamique, des loots stimulant, une durée de vie très bonne avec les mods et les donjons infinis ...
  41. Sep 23, 2012
    Giving this a middle-of-the-road review because there's a lot to like about the game, but in an ARPG, there is nothing more important than the feel of the action, and I found TL2 a great disappointment in this area.

The art direction is delightful, really charming, with stylized 3D models that reminded me of Warcraft 3. I know some people deride this as "cartoonish" but I like all art styles if they're executed well, and TL2 is executed very well indeed.

The game mechanics don't hesitate to throw choices at you quite quickly: stat points, skill points, lots of different stats on gear, socketing right from the start, different ways to meet prereqs for gear, set and unique items dropping early on, etc. It's a game that is not ashamed of the fact that it treats its audience like ARPG veterans, and I respect it for that fact.

But the action.. the clicky-clicky on enemies and making them explode. I just didn't enjoy it. It's hard to explain why. I felt a step removed from the action, like I was telling my character what to do the way I'd tell an RTS unit what to do, rather than physically controlling them. And there was no visceral feeling to the combat, no impact, no physicality - an area where the bar has been raised enormously by Diablo 3.

Anyway, a mixed review, a lot to like, but an inescapable problem that I can't deal with. There's a demo available so I'd recommend anyone who has ever enjoyed an ARPG check it out. If you enjoy the demo, you should definitely buy the game, because if you don't like it for the same reasons I didn't, you'll know it pretty quickly.
  42. Luc
    Sep 24, 2012
    Liberté, loot intéressant, développement du personnage "custom", niveaux de difficulté au choix, mods à venir, tout y est, c'est un jeu amusant et jouissif et surtout dans la lignée de Diablo ; je pleure sur l'arnaque Diablo et ses hôtels de vente en comparant les prix des ces 2 jeux.
  43. Sep 24, 2012
    $20 game that plays like a $60 game. It is a great game even if you already have D3. Personally I like the Diablo 2 style skill trees with only minor respecing allowed. But i can see how some will dislike it. But if that is your only issue with the game I would overlook it and try it. Also I am greatly looking forward to the mods which there should be plenty with such a large player base.
  44. Sep 24, 2012
    I give it 10/10 because it is a really challenge so far. Even though the act seems short, but it is really exciting game after the 10 years of Diablo 2. It is a well done game from the makers of Diablo, Diablo 2 and Torchlight. USD20 is worth the game to be play with. Please do not pirated it as the creators has done alot of work on it and they release it in a affordable price forI give it 10/10 because it is a really challenge so far. Even though the act seems short, but it is really exciting game after the 10 years of Diablo 2. It is a well done game from the makers of Diablo, Diablo 2 and Torchlight. USD20 is worth the game to be play with. Please do not pirated it as the creators has done alot of work on it and they release it in a affordable price for everyone to go for offline , online or Lan. Expand
  45. Sep 24, 2012
    Amazing and addicting game. Tons of enemy variety with lots of bosses and minibosses in each of the large zones and dungeons in the game. The environments are pretty and vary from bright forests and deserts to snowy plains and dark swamps, each with their own unique look. Tons of loot dropped from enemies and chests, although admittedly much of it useless but you can come across the oddAmazing and addicting game. Tons of enemy variety with lots of bosses and minibosses in each of the large zones and dungeons in the game. The environments are pretty and vary from bright forests and deserts to snowy plains and dark swamps, each with their own unique look. Tons of loot dropped from enemies and chests, although admittedly much of it useless but you can come across the odd unique weapon from bosses. The 4 classes are all cool and each have 3 talent trees to suit a subclass of your choice, for example engineers have a talent tree with skills suited for two handed warrior, machinist, and even a more defensive tank sort of playstyle. There are also about 6-7 types of pets you can choose from your character compared to just cat or dog from the original Torchlight and the Fate games. The story is pretty shallow but it's servicable for giving you a reason to slaughtering things and making flashy animations burst everywhere on the screen. The graphics are cartoony and WoW like and much more colourful than what might be seen in Diablo III. The particle effects have been upgraded so that explosions and stuff are prettier but it may also be more stressful on older computers like mine compared to the first Torchlight. There is also a co-op mode in the game although I was unable to play it on my pirated copy of the game

Overall, awesome game and for $20 ( which I didn't pay) you can't go wrong. Or if you torrent it like I did, at least buy the game to support the developers later on.
  46. Sep 24, 2012
    The Good: Loot System - endlessly rewarding with no auction house to spoil the fun. You want godly gear in Torchlight II? you play the game, simple as that. - Enemy Diversity - so many unique types of enemies and its not just champions that have crazy abilities, some regular enemies have very nasty racial abilities - Price - $20 for a game that easily rivals if not defeats Diablo III asThe Good: Loot System - endlessly rewarding with no auction house to spoil the fun. You want godly gear in Torchlight II? you play the game, simple as that. - Enemy Diversity - so many unique types of enemies and its not just champions that have crazy abilities, some regular enemies have very nasty racial abilities - Price - $20 for a game that easily rivals if not defeats Diablo III as an aRPG. also the soundtrack is free, just google it. - MUSIC - composed by Matt Uelman, who did the music for Diablo 1 & 2, giving this game's music a much more Diablo feel then Diablo III itself. - Technical - The requirements for this game are very low and the game runs extremely smoothly all the time, I have yet to have a single crash or even a single frame lag. - Offline Mode - Self explanatory, no dealing with lag, no logging in if you don't want to, and you can go online at any point and even host LAN parties, i haven't much seen this option let alone used it since the days of Diablo 2. - MODS - again, self explanatory, any dev that endorses modding gets points in my book. The Bad: - Interface - the interface isn't terrible, its just not really that great either, just average. - Story - This is the only real down point in this game, the story is just not interesting on any level, that cliche ridden abomination full of long winded speeches and annoying cut scenes called a story in Diablo III is actually more interesting than the story in Torchlight II. However, torchlight's story is deigned in a way that you can totally and completely ignore it if you so choose and be just fine, which is exactly what I am doing. I'm in act 3 in torchlight II, lvl 50, around 18 hours play time, and I couldn't tell you the first thing about the story. TL;DR? buy it, its only $20, I haven't regretted a single second or a single penny I've spent on this game. Expand
  47. Sep 25, 2012
    Thank you Runic Games, I knew you will make a flawless game :) For all the haters that rated this game a 0 on the release day, shame on you! Come here and give bad ratings after you actually play the game.
  48. Sep 25, 2012
    So much replay value here from the multiple ways to build the four classes, to the randomized dungeons, mobs, and bosses(skills). Tons of varied equipment, and lots of mob variety, and multiplayer. But most of all.... Its so much fun, Ive lost track of time every single session Ive turned this game on. I dont even know how many timesI could play through this game before I got bored.TheSo much replay value here from the multiple ways to build the four classes, to the randomized dungeons, mobs, and bosses(skills). Tons of varied equipment, and lots of mob variety, and multiplayer. But most of all.... Its so much fun, Ive lost track of time every single session Ive turned this game on. I dont even know how many timesI could play through this game before I got bored.The only and I mean the ONLY complaint I have about this game is the fact that you have to push the hold button to keep from charging enemies instead of attacking with auto attacks. But thats always been my bigggest complaint about this genre.
    Now Im a huge fan of the ARPG genre and have to say this one has more replay potential than any other Ive ever played. The funny part is that the pricing for Torchlight 2's main competition is backwards. This should have been the 60 dollar title and Diablo 3 should have been the 20 dollar title. Yes thats right, I said D3 is t2s competition. But once you max your character in D3, I just moved on to the next class. There is just no replay there, Unless your looking for gear for pvp. But thats a grindfest, thats not really replaying to enjoy the game. Hell Krater has more replay then D3 and is actually fun, D3 felt like a chore after a while. Lets be honest though D3 was a dumpster fire at launch, but blizzard will keep backing up dump trucks full of money to get it where it should have been at launch. And I would without a doubt recommend Krater, before D3. It marched to the beat of its own drum and I liked so many things about the game. And honestly feel like it has more potential then d3, but once again, and most importantly....its actually lots of fun(despite the repetitive combat). Does it compare to T2? yes but in very different ways, either way there far more entertaining(to me anyway),and put together are cheaper then D3.
    Regardless If T2 had been 60 dollars, I would have had no problem laying my money down. But being asked to pay more then...or even 20 for that matter for D3 to me seems....well...almost too much.
  49. Sep 25, 2012
    Absolutely stunning! Beautiful graphics, amazing monsters, F****** awesome loot...did you hear me? AWESOME LOOT!

Looking back I now wish I would have bought the package of more than one game! Definitely worth every penny!
  50. Sep 25, 2012
    I´ve just played TL2 for about 10 hours and already i love this game. Though i kinda dont like the fact that u cant respec. Its just trial and error. But maybe thats a good thing. I dont know. Anyway this game is awesome!
  51. Sep 25, 2012
    Diablo 3 and TL2 are very different games and I find myself playing both of them. TL2 is single player that will not have a community driven economy (officially said on forums by devs). I find this to be the single biggest reason I don't see myself playing TL2 nearly as long as Diablo. On the other hand I find myself more involved and engrossed in my character, instead of having genericDiablo 3 and TL2 are very different games and I find myself playing both of them. TL2 is single player that will not have a community driven economy (officially said on forums by devs). I find this to be the single biggest reason I don't see myself playing TL2 nearly as long as Diablo. On the other hand I find myself more involved and engrossed in my character, instead of having generic similar builds I can build my character how I want and also have the choice of a few hair/facial options not a prebuilt character. D3 isn't > TL2, TL2 isn't > D3...they are different and both fun in their own way. TL2 is definitely worth the 20 bucks it costs Expand
  52. Sep 26, 2012
    Would i have not know PATH OF EXILE, torchlight 2 would have been fun. But i play the damn POE beta and so torchlight give me a taste of more of the same, starless. It is an ok game, it doesn t have the flaws D3 have (not difficult) but it ain t innovative, it ain t creative, it brings nothing interesting. Its a well executed bland game. But unfortunately uninteresting to me now,Would i have not know PATH OF EXILE, torchlight 2 would have been fun. But i play the damn POE beta and so torchlight give me a taste of more of the same, starless. It is an ok game, it doesn t have the flaws D3 have (not difficult) but it ain t innovative, it ain t creative, it brings nothing interesting. Its a well executed bland game. But unfortunately uninteresting to me now, character development is...boring dull narrow. If i had to resume ...TL2 is starless it not flawed but its doesn t shine, i will play it from time to time until i know the end story but just that. Expand
  53. Sep 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Torchlight 2 is a really good game, that has inherited many aspects from Diablo 2. Maybe even more than the famous diablo 3. The gameplay is fast, with much exploration enriched by sequences of fights that keep always the fun at high scores. The 4 classes are fairly customizable in gender and looks, and their skill trees are really classic in structure but really fun to try.
    The maps and the dungeons are really well done, with forests, deserts, and other environments large enough to permit a fun exploration. They are randomized in structure enough to resemble always new to explore any time you start a new game or reroll the map in an internet play through, but you won't meet random generation inside the dungeons (no forests generated underneath a crypt, no castles underneath a cave and so on) like it happened in Torchlight 1. Everything has its place and a logic behind.
    The music and overall sounds are very pleasant to hear, with a more modern style if compared to the ones of diablo 3.
    It seems to me that the first Torchlight episode could have been a kind of try, in order to study a new graphic style, but with a very classical game play. And Torchlight 2 is the "real" Torchlight game, with all the good ideas and experiences linked together in an almost perfect new "old-style" action rpg.
    Even the co-op multiplayer is really fun to play, with friends or newcomers. There is no problem with the loot sharing, in fact the loot is instanced and when you kill a mob or open a stash everyone has his own loot, invisible to the other players. The final verdict is: this game is one of the best experiences you can have in gaming at a really fair price: 20$. Go get it!
  54. Sep 27, 2012
    Best gaming experience I've had in a long time. The game has FREE DLC planned for it and maybe even an expansion. The best ARPG i've played since Diablo II, and i would argue even better. If you don't own this game and you own D3. You are either a chinese botter or an addicted moron. This game is built around fun, and after 30 hours i didn't have a moment that didn't keep me entertainedBest gaming experience I've had in a long time. The game has FREE DLC planned for it and maybe even an expansion. The best ARPG i've played since Diablo II, and i would argue even better. If you don't own this game and you own D3. You are either a chinese botter or an addicted moron. This game is built around fun, and after 30 hours i didn't have a moment that didn't keep me entertained and im hungry for more. Great gear, great monsters, great abilities, and even better dungeons.

The new trendsetter for all future APRGs or dungeon based games.
  55. Sep 28, 2012
    In terms of value, it might be the best game ever made for a launch price of $20. Tight gameplay and controls, very flexible play options (LAN/internet/offline, character customisations, mod friendly), and the game has very interesting itemization. There's multiple levels of difficulty available for play immediately at the start too, so you can start at Level 1 with a very challenging modeIn terms of value, it might be the best game ever made for a launch price of $20. Tight gameplay and controls, very flexible play options (LAN/internet/offline, character customisations, mod friendly), and the game has very interesting itemization. There's multiple levels of difficulty available for play immediately at the start too, so you can start at Level 1 with a very challenging mode if you're an experienced gamer.

A few minor criticisms. The multiplayer game browser makes it hard to sort games, search rarely works when i try to find my friends' games by name. The plotline exists and is easily ignored if you just want to play, but its a bit generic. I also think the reskill mechanic should allow a full talent rebuild, not just the last 3 skills -- its inconvenient enough to have to pay to remap your talent points. Over all though, Torchlight 2 is *the* ARPG of 2012 and for the years beyond. Path of Exile. It is, in my mind, the true spiritual successor to Diablo 2 that we've waited a decade for.
  56. Sep 28, 2012
    Looks like an awesome game!if you like aRPG's, there's no need to convince you with a long blob of text. This game will confidently tick at the very least the majority of your aRPG boxes. If you simply just want an excellently constructed, fun and well polished game that continues to reward the players on every play through, this is also it. And for $20, you have absolutely no reason notLooks like an awesome game!if you like aRPG's, there's no need to convince you with a long blob of text. This game will confidently tick at the very least the majority of your aRPG boxes. If you simply just want an excellently constructed, fun and well polished game that continues to reward the players on every play through, this is also it. And for $20, you have absolutely no reason not to buy it and say 'Yes. This is what I want from a game. This is why I play them'. You have a rare opportunity to vote with your pocket book and have incredible levels of fun at the same time. Go get it. Thank me later. I'll be over here, enjoying this. Expand
  57. Sep 28, 2012
    Amazing game. It is the game Diablo 3 suposed to be. When you start playing you totaly forget about time. You feel like you have been playing for 30 minutes and it's 3 hours. Worth every penny.
  58. Sep 28, 2012
    With the bundle running at about 14.99 for 4 people in steam this game is a steal. I highly suggest it as the game's fun factor increases with the number of players. Graphics do look old, but was tastefully done. It's just one of those game's that doesn't need state of the art looks to make the cut.

Ironically, this game gives a nostalgic feeling of diablo II more-so than diablo III.

Overall, despite the lack of graphics... the game is just plain old fun.
  59. Sep 28, 2012
    First of, i'm not going to compare it to Diablo. No. I'll add to all the things that people have already said; The game is amazing! It is a perfect example to a game that has less graphics, but more GAMEPLAY and content! The online experience is everything that i wanted from TL1. The H&S is just what you would want from H&S game: "More please!". Simple... The game is rich in content andFirst of, i'm not going to compare it to Diablo. No. I'll add to all the things that people have already said; The game is amazing! It is a perfect example to a game that has less graphics, but more GAMEPLAY and content! The online experience is everything that i wanted from TL1. The H&S is just what you would want from H&S game: "More please!". Simple... The game is rich in content and upgrades from the-already-great TL1 experience; More awesome skills, many quests and dungeons! All-in-all, You will find yourself spending a lot of hours on this one, trust me! Expand
  60. Sep 29, 2012
    The fore fathers of Diablo 1&2 (the Schaefer's) take Blizzard back to school and shows them how an ARPG is to be done and does it all for a third of the Diablo 3 price bringing us a superbly crafted, well designed ARPG with random surprises. Runic not only just improved everything they did in Torchlight, but also added full mod support, Steam Workshop and yup internet and LAN play, makesThe fore fathers of Diablo 1&2 (the Schaefer's) take Blizzard back to school and shows them how an ARPG is to be done and does it all for a third of the Diablo 3 price bringing us a superbly crafted, well designed ARPG with random surprises. Runic not only just improved everything they did in Torchlight, but also added full mod support, Steam Workshop and yup internet and LAN play, makes torchlight 2 a great, fun and rewarding ARPG experience. This is everything Diablo 3 should of been and never will be, Runic is showing us that building great game is more important than making cash cows. Expand
  61. Sep 29, 2012
    To anyone who enjoys the dungeon crawler genre, I highly recommend Torchlight II. The classes are very balanced and each has a great skill tree. I enjoyed the single player campaign a lot. But the multiplayer was what I really liked. All in all, good game, nice maps, and great loot system. Best thing of all, If i'm somewhere without internet, I can still play.
  62. Oct 1, 2012
    Excellent game, I played and adored torchlight but this. This is ~500% better than it's predecessor. Buying this game is a must (or torrent it but then buy). 10/10 without any doubt!
  63. Oct 1, 2012
    ARPG perfection. Beautiful art style, endless loot to collect, LAN play, Single player offline play, moddable, wonderful music, 6 player co-op - all for 20 dollars? I for one am very glad I decided to skip Diablo III (at 60 dollars? huh?) and patiently waited for this. Great job Runic!
  64. Oct 1, 2012
    This game is the true successor to Diablo II, but even though its story/characters/combat (not as smooth or fluent) fall below Diablo III, it is still a great title. This game excels at everything that Diablo III tried to be great at. It has challenging combat, great itemization/randomized areas, single-player (no forced online connection), and most of all no gold-based progression. TheThis game is the true successor to Diablo II, but even though its story/characters/combat (not as smooth or fluent) fall below Diablo III, it is still a great title. This game excels at everything that Diablo III tried to be great at. It has challenging combat, great itemization/randomized areas, single-player (no forced online connection), and most of all no gold-based progression. The combat feels a lot less polished than Diablo III, but it makes up for it by making it more engaging and less frustrating. You can pick any difficulty you want without having to play through the game several times to reach or unlock it. This is a definite game to buy if you love ARPGs. It was designed by the man responsible for the first two Diablos, and made by a small team of thirty that are better than Blizzard. Expand
  65. Oct 2, 2012
    I have spent only a few hours in the game but I'm very familiar with Diablo 1 and 2 so I can compare. I had this game preordered (and got Torchlight 1 for free) after I played demo of Torchlight 1 on Steam.
    I read some articles about development of this game (the first one) and you can clearly see that this game has been created with passion and by gamers for gamers - and money came sort of accidentally with it.
    Diablo III is the true opposite - capture most of the market get the money and run far far away. If you know what "pump and dump" means you get the idea...
    I can recommend this game to anyone who liked pre-Diablo III games.
  66. Oct 3, 2012
    For real, this game is all i wanted diablo 3 to be.
    Awesome gameplay, nice skill-trees, interesting quests, great item-drop (so, i can wear myself, is it great? yes, its awesome), perfect stylish graphics and.. BOSSES. Yes, i'm playing Hardcore Elite only, and these bros makes me sick, i'm afraid of them. Torchlight 2 is the greatest action-RPG game after Diablo 2 LoD was released.
  67. Oct 3, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is what Diablo 3 should've been. Also, I have one word for you: Mods!
    This game will have a higher replay value than both Borderlands 2 & Diablo 3 combined! (Atleast for me.)
  68. Oct 5, 2012
    Something interesting...Digital Spy a "Critic" review gave Torchlight II, a 20$ game a 60/100 because it's not innovative, which in fact it is. The same company gave Diablo III an 80/100. Simply put, there are morons out in this world that have no clue how to be a critic and give an unbiased review. The fans couldn't have asked more out of a $20 game and I got more than I wanted playingSomething interesting...Digital Spy a "Critic" review gave Torchlight II, a 20$ game a 60/100 because it's not innovative, which in fact it is. The same company gave Diablo III an 80/100. Simply put, there are morons out in this world that have no clue how to be a critic and give an unbiased review. The fans couldn't have asked more out of a $20 game and I got more than I wanted playing Torchlight II. At least it has meaningful skill trees and stat points, and of course PvP, more than you could say for the "highly polished" Diablo III in the words of Digital Spy... Expand
  69. Oct 5, 2012
    Yup, definitely giving this a 10.

It's got everything that made the original game so good and a whole list of excellent new features that make it even more of a joy to play. The graphics and animations are spectacular, the sound effects are meaty and satisfying and the steam-punk style artwork is top-notch. There is an over-whelming amount of really cool loot to pick up, some of
    Yup, definitely giving this a 10.

There is an over-whelming amount of really cool loot to pick up, some of which gives nods to other games and pop-culture. The monsters are appropriately challenging and there is a huge amount of them onscreen pretty much all the time. Some of the bosses are *massive* and even the areas are diverse and interesting. Finally, the biggest selling points for me would have to be the possibility of playing offline, the excellent multi-player and the brilliant decision to allow for modding. It's amazing what Runic has done with this game, and it's previous entry, compared to Diablo 3's massive budget, this proves that an indy game can be every bit as good, if not better than the big name studios.
  70. Oct 7, 2012
    I think this looks exactly the same as torchlight I. The surroundings are constant, and I feel like what you're playing is the same dungeon over and over. And co-op isn't that funny with this game at all. The only thing keeping this game at some level of interest is the graphics. The spells can sometimes look kinda cool, but besides that, I find nothing good with this game. So yeah, like II think this looks exactly the same as torchlight I. The surroundings are constant, and I feel like what you're playing is the same dungeon over and over. And co-op isn't that funny with this game at all. The only thing keeping this game at some level of interest is the graphics. The spells can sometimes look kinda cool, but besides that, I find nothing good with this game. So yeah, like I said, this game contains no variety at all and the environment is non-changing. So if you want a game with just one dungeon, then feel free to buy this game. I want variety, that's why this game gets a 3/10. Expand
  71. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is really nothing more than a cheap Diablo 2 clone. It really has no originality and the story is virtually non existent. Perhaps what I was most disappointed in was the skills. They all seem so boring and bland. I played the character with the duel guns and found it irritating having to click exactly on my target to fire. Many times my character would go running towards theThis game is really nothing more than a cheap Diablo 2 clone. It really has no originality and the story is virtually non existent. Perhaps what I was most disappointed in was the skills. They all seem so boring and bland. I played the character with the duel guns and found it irritating having to click exactly on my target to fire. Many times my character would go running towards the target. In a nutshell this game is a cartoonish downgraded version of D2 with lamer skills and treasure. This is 1 of only 2 games I've ever bought that I was extremely disappointed in. How this game received almost a 9 is beyond me. Expand
  72. Sep 22, 2012
    The game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unlessThe game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unless you are not satisfied with Diablo 3, its no better. Expand
  73. Sep 23, 2012
    The game is just the perfect buck for you money out there. It almost feels too cheap...

There are not many things to say.. 1. TL2 has SINGLE-HANDEDLY the best Stat distribution system in any aRPG i ve played. 2. Skill system is a huge improvement from TL1. 3. Graphs I like. I know many people don't like them, but I like the cartoonish graphs.. And when Texture mods are out, it

2. Skill system is a huge improvement from TL1.

3. Graphs I like. I know many people don't like them, but I like the cartoonish graphs.. And when Texture mods are out, it wil be better..

No point in comparing this to d2. It's like every aRPG is a copy of the diablo series.. PoE is a cheap copy, Loki is a copy, Titan Quest is.. It's the same with comparing GW2 and generally every other MMO to WoW..

The only REAL problem with the game is its responsiveness. At some points it feels stiff but that really doesn't break anything.. There will be a patch fixing it soon I guess..
  74. Sep 23, 2012
    The difference to Diablo 3 is staggering. Where Diablo 3 did about anything they could to annoy me (their servers didn't work for several days for me upon release so I couldn't even play, the stupid health globes, the weird elites with lasers and walls and whatnot, the gold pickup radius, the lack of content, the crafting, the shop interface, the AH, ... I could go on for a long time...) -The difference to Diablo 3 is staggering. Where Diablo 3 did about anything they could to annoy me (their servers didn't work for several days for me upon release so I couldn't even play, the stupid health globes, the weird elites with lasers and walls and whatnot, the gold pickup radius, the lack of content, the crafting, the shop interface, the AH, ... I could go on for a long time...) - Torchlight II did everything to allow me to enjoy playing the game. And enjoying it a lot I do. Really, those two games couldn't be more different in all the little details. I gave D3 0/10 back then in rage... TL2 easily deserves 10/10. Expand
  75. Sep 24, 2012
    yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

sss
  76. Sep 27, 2012
    This game is awesome; everything that Diablo 3 should have been. The game mechanics are fun and enjoyable. Harder difficulties and late game are tough but not impossibly infuriating like D3. My only gripe is the over the top cartoon graphics. Had the same gripe with the original Torchlight, but since the developers permit the game to be modded, actually encourage it, it is only a matter ofThis game is awesome; everything that Diablo 3 should have been. The game mechanics are fun and enjoyable. Harder difficulties and late game are tough but not impossibly infuriating like D3. My only gripe is the over the top cartoon graphics. Had the same gripe with the original Torchlight, but since the developers permit the game to be modded, actually encourage it, it is only a matter of time before graphics overhaul mods come out for the game. Expand
  77. Sep 28, 2012
    I really can't find much wrong with this game but it just doesn't draw me in. I like the art style but just feel like all I'm doing is mindlessly clicking.
  78. Oct 2, 2012
    The game is solid all the way around. I only drop 9/10 because I like my graphics on the dark horror side of things. Good job Runic, will defiantly check out your next release.
  79. Oct 6, 2012
    Massively, massively fun. If the DRM--oops, 'always online feature' and RMAH of D3 pissed you off as much as they did me, give Torchlight 2 a shot. I love the loot drops--plentiful, fun, and with points that are USEFUL FOR MY CLASS, hint hint Blizz--and the LAN. No more dying to mobs offscreen because Blizz can't keep latency on their end working for my benefit. It's nice to be ableMassively, massively fun. If the DRM--oops, 'always online feature' and RMAH of D3 pissed you off as much as they did me, give Torchlight 2 a shot. I love the loot drops--plentiful, fun, and with points that are USEFUL FOR MY CLASS, hint hint Blizz--and the LAN. No more dying to mobs offscreen because Blizz can't keep latency on their end working for my benefit. It's nice to be able to pick your gender (can't help it, got to be able to play as a girl or I get bummed out) and my husband and I are playing the **** out of this. It's everything that D3 should have been but wasn't. Lots of hidden rooms, portal beasts opening up new maps and all kinds of goodies. Plus, you can mod it. Need I say more? This game will be around for a long time. Good job, Runic. For 19.99 you can't go wrong with this one. Just don't let EA or Activision buy you out. Expand
  80. Oct 6, 2012
    Fantastically engaging dungeon crawler with strong randomisation that allows for real replayability. Although the story is somewhat passable, the gameplay and character design more than makes up for this and for 20 dollars you just can't beat it
  81. Oct 7, 2012
    It has got the spirit of old D1 & D2. Way better play experience than D3. It has got the heart. Gamer's choice. Recommended to any old school Diablo fan. The right vibe is there.
  82. Oct 11, 2012
    Awesome successor of Torchlight. If you like Action RPG with colorful cartoon-like graphics, fast paced action and tons of loot to sort through this game is a must have. I in particular enjoy the freedom regarding skills. You don't have to go through a hole tree to get to the good stuff - this enables really interesting builds, and rewards replays. Beside size of the world, multiplayerAwesome successor of Torchlight. If you like Action RPG with colorful cartoon-like graphics, fast paced action and tons of loot to sort through this game is a must have. I in particular enjoy the freedom regarding skills. You don't have to go through a hole tree to get to the good stuff - this enables really interesting builds, and rewards replays. Beside size of the world, multiplayer support is the biggest changes compared to the first part of the series. Hopefully Runic will add Steam Workshop support sometime.

For the current price at about 20 USD it's quite a steal and will entertain you for a long time.
  83. Oct 12, 2012
    What diablo 3 should have been. Local lan support, no stupid blizzard drm, reasonably prized, no cash auction house. 10 out of 10 and a huge jump in quality and polish from the prev one
  84. Nov 9, 2012
    This is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in theThis is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in the game though and as a diversion from more serious games that require attention and skill it is a perfect relaxation game. Expand
  85. Sep 28, 2012
    This isn't a game for those who don't usually play arpg. The gameplay is more or less left-click driven, not particularly tactical, and mostly driven by your decision to level-up in one tree or another, or what items you decide to equip.

It gets points for not being too expensive, but in my mind doesn't innovate any new game concepts.
  86. Oct 2, 2012
    This is a great game and everything I hoped for. I purchased the four pack and I play LAN games with my daughters and wife. We have had a packet of fun. My youngest is 6 and even she can play casual level - well worth it.
  87. Oct 2, 2012
    This game is really really addictive and a real challenge in Elite.
    I am enjoying playing this game and its been like 2 years i havent enjoying that much.
    Its just what D3 should have been!
    A very good surprise!
  88. Oct 6, 2012
    Torchlight 2 has all the ingredients for the perfect ARPG. Runic games updates frequently the game to assure that there are no problems, and they have a fantastic support service. I'm betting that they will release an expansion pack, and posibly with a PVP option. And the possibilities with the mod tools are endless.
  89. Oct 6, 2012
    This game is just great! The reason i bought it was not only because it was cheap, but also because i liked playing Diablo 3. The only problem was that Diablo 3 was getting very boring after a while. Torchlight 2 is very nice!! :)
  90. Oct 7, 2012
    Very enjoyable. I've not tried playing online yet, but I am really enjoying single player. My only complaint is that higher difficulty levels don't up the AI factor, instead just increase enemy stats and reduce your own level, essentially forcing players to not only do all side-quests, but reach a point of being underleveled and needing to farm experience.
  91. Oct 7, 2012
    This the "Alternate" Diablo universe or should i say Diablo in "economy" class, since the price is cheaper and it requires lower rig of PC. The looting, the gameplay and the addiction level is almost the same as Diablo series. The only obvious difference is the graphics. You can zoom in and out your characters which is very cool.
  92. Oct 9, 2012
    My thoughts about this game were crystalized while playing with my wife. Steam went down. Our LAN game kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened... unlike with Diablo 3, where a server hiccup gets you killed. I could stop there, but the game is more fun, the items are more enjoyable to find due to more interesting effects, building up a character is more fun (and permanent).My thoughts about this game were crystalized while playing with my wife. Steam went down. Our LAN game kept right on working as if nothing had ever happened... unlike with Diablo 3, where a server hiccup gets you killed. I could stop there, but the game is more fun, the items are more enjoyable to find due to more interesting effects, building up a character is more fun (and permanent). Sure the graphics are simpler, but they work really well and for $20 they're definitely up to the task. The bottom line here is that this is what DIablo 3 should have been. Expand
  93. Oct 12, 2012
    For 20 dollars there is not a ARPG that comes close to beating TL2. This game is fun as hell polished and after 50 hours im not even lose to bored yet. This game is my game of the year and deserves 10/10.
  94. Oct 13, 2012
    Torchlight II, the $20 game that outshines your $60/per game collection by a long shot. Runic games once again proves they are a major player when it comes to creating an amazing game that the gamers WANT. Every tiny detail in Torchlight II is masterfully created and fine tuned. The scenery is gorgeous, the graphics are stylish and flush, and the gameplay speaks to you in a way that get'sTorchlight II, the $20 game that outshines your $60/per game collection by a long shot. Runic games once again proves they are a major player when it comes to creating an amazing game that the gamers WANT. Every tiny detail in Torchlight II is masterfully created and fine tuned. The scenery is gorgeous, the graphics are stylish and flush, and the gameplay speaks to you in a way that get's your mojo flowing.. if you know what I mean. This game is not for people with slow reaction times or people with weak arms. You'll be gloriously hyper-clicking your heart away as you evade and damage your enemies with lightning fast maneuverability abilities. Each class to choose from comes packed with amazing spells and such, and there's no limit to what you can create. Each character class is fully attributable in customization and each class has 3 unique talent trees to fill out over the course of level 1-100. Beating the game means nothing, Mapworks provides you with a map vendor who sells you dungeon scrolls to keep slaying baddies and stocking up that loot. Game getting to easy? No problem, hop into 6 player online co-op and start getting your face rolled on Elite Difficulty (Hardcore YOLO mode optional) or start the New Game+ mode where you re-roll the game map to randomize it a little and start the single player story over again, this time the monsters are stronger and you get to keep your stats and gear to bring them down again for even more powerful items. It's a joyous experience this entire game, the almost near perfect score I give this game suffers from only 1 thing, and that is the lackluster storytelling. While many Torchlight 1 fans will follow through the storytelling without too much confusion, there's much left open to anyone who's never traversed the lands of Torchlight. This game is huge.. and by huge I mean REALLY REALLY BIG. Every nook and cranny should be explored, there's hundreds of secret rooms, easter eggs, and unique items just waiting to be found. Keep a keen eye on everything, you won't be disappointed when you realize you can in fact put that lotion in the bucket and receive a Buffalo Bill parody mask. Seriously, why are you still reading this mini review? Go buy the game already! Okay, so more information.. this game is filled to the brim with loot, and that's not a bad thing. Items are already identified if they are worse than the gear you already have equipped. This is so you know that when you pick something special up and have to identify it you know it's got some worth. You get a pet, you can choose between hawks, dogs, cats, panthers, ferrets, whatever. Your pet is your go to guy, he/she can hold your excess loot, haul it back to town for you and sell it, and even bring you some potions/scrolls if you want to make a shopping list for him. Hell, the only time you ever really need to go back to town is when your inventory is filled with super rares and gems. I'm a little bit of a Torchlight fanboy, I'll admit that.. but I have every reason to be after the disaster D3 was. The original creators of Diablo 1 and 2 are the same people who made Torchlight. We all love D2 right? Exactly, now go let Runic take your money. If this game disappoints you, you have no soul... this is the spiritual successor of the Diablo franchise. Support game companies like Runic, they are the future of keeping games made for gamers. Expand
  95. Oct 16, 2012
    Great game!!! Played it start to finish twice with my wife and we both luv it. Not super complex, not super hard to play, lots of different builds seem to work well. Good hack and slash dungeon crawler at an unbelievable price. I could see hard core gamers finding it a little trivial but we luv it as a fast paced run, hack and slash. The graphics are so good we find ourselves stoppingGreat game!!! Played it start to finish twice with my wife and we both luv it. Not super complex, not super hard to play, lots of different builds seem to work well. Good hack and slash dungeon crawler at an unbelievable price. I could see hard core gamers finding it a little trivial but we luv it as a fast paced run, hack and slash. The graphics are so good we find ourselves stopping often just to appreciate the artwork in different areas. Best game $ I've spent in a long time. Expand
  96. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is amazing, is what all fans of diablo (yes i'm quoting diablo here cuz diablo3 was such a let down) been expecting. Is amazingly fun, and it actually has loot!! really polished and i really dig all about the game. There is so much to do and so much options to build your character that you'll never be bored.
    And for 20 bucks is a steal, and i'm sure there will be some steam sale
    And for 20 bucks is a steal, and i'm sure there will be some steam sale around the corner soon. So no excuse to not buying it, if you are into rpg and you liked diablo 1 and 2 you definitely should get torchlight 2.
  97. Nov 22, 2012
    A customizable Diablo with cartoony graphics, not so great story line (if theres any), voice overs are really bad but the game is fun and definitely worth the price.
  98. Apr 9, 2013
    EXACTLY like Diablo! This game just feels like someone literally took the programming from the old Diablo games and then just drastically improved and modernized the graphics and gameplay. Then, to avoid copyrights they changed the storyline and graphics JUST ENOUGH to pass it off as a new game. The storyline is IDENTICAL to Diablo, just new names and faces in place of the old ones. It isEXACTLY like Diablo! This game just feels like someone literally took the programming from the old Diablo games and then just drastically improved and modernized the graphics and gameplay. Then, to avoid copyrights they changed the storyline and graphics JUST ENOUGH to pass it off as a new game. The storyline is IDENTICAL to Diablo, just new names and faces in place of the old ones. It is hilarious. If you missed the old Diablo games, Torchlight II is the modern reincarnate.
    Though this game is plenty of fun for me, I cannot help but feel most of the fun is based off nostalgia. This game does not offer cutting edge modern gameplay, it is a take on a classic. However, this game set out to recreate an old experience with new value and they aced it. GJ Runic!
  99. Sep 25, 2012
    Too many references to other games, it really ruins the atmosphere for me personally. The game play is pretty good, but the game play for this genre has been perfected for well over a decade at this point. It's an alright game for the price, but don't expect any replayability.
  100. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having played the whole Diablo series not since beginning but close enough to, since I was only 5 or 6, I believe that torchlight 2 is what people were expecting diablo 3 to be like. Given Blizzard North(For the most part) made this game, it is no surprise that it is like this. However, unlike previous games, of this sort, difficulties are set at level 1, rather than being set at the final completion of the storyline in each difficulty(normal/nightmare/hell etc. The speed or pace of the game is quite fast, faster than that of the diablo series but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It gives players the feeling that they're completing the storyline or quests quicker than what they would, but as people know.. "Time flies when you're having fun". Much like Diablo 2, the "endgame" mapworks, is a lot like a baal run, repetitive but quick and easy enough to do it over and over again. The maps vary between 5 possible maps, but multiple outcomes on each and level difficulties are planted in the map title. This is obviously quite newbie friendly and much like other parts of the game are a great addition.

The only problem I personally have and am unsure if others have this problem too, is that multiplayer can be quite 'iffy' to say the least. When connecting to a game on multiplayer that someone else has created, you can get either a inability to connect, very long load screen(1-5 mins) or a smooth running game.

With all this being said and the only issue is online play (which is expected with player hosted servers), I will gladly give this a 9/10 overall, but 10/10 gameplay as I am a huge fanboy of Blizzard North.
  101. Sep 22, 2012
    Top game. I give it a 10 because all those Blizzard fans, who think Blizzard still even cares to continue the Dialbo 1-2 ideology with Diablo 3, gave this game negative critics. This game has a lot of effort behind it, developers are genuine and they have considered a lot of stuff for us fans, not for their pocket like the guys at Blizzard. A game is only as good as its developers valueTop game. I give it a 10 because all those Blizzard fans, who think Blizzard still even cares to continue the Dialbo 1-2 ideology with Diablo 3, gave this game negative critics. This game has a lot of effort behind it, developers are genuine and they have considered a lot of stuff for us fans, not for their pocket like the guys at Blizzard. A game is only as good as its developers value their player base and TL series is certainly in this good categorie, opposite of money hungry Blizzard. If I had the money I would even buy 10-15 copies of this game and send them to my friends! I am an avid ARPG fan who has been playing RPGs for 10 years. Collapse

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]