Torchlight II PC

8.6

1. Aug 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a very nice game, not expensive at all, and very fun to play. Unfortunately, it is not polished, and small things amount to such an extent that it becomes really hard to enjoy the game.
    For example, there is a solid delay between your attack and movement actions; so when you are in the middle of a fight, hitting that mouse button to kick some monster buts, and suddenly your health drops to the point where you want to run you start clicking away, but your hero will continue to swing his hammer for a couple of times, until he reacts. By that time, of course, he will be dead. You have two alternative weapons configurations: so you may equip a shield and a sword as one, and a bow as the other configuration. If you equip two two-handed weapons in both configuration slots, one weapon defaults to right hand, the other to left. Now when you open up your Archaic Stats (where you can see all of your Hero's details, such as damage), not only need you to switch both configurations, you also need to switch the hands, in essence destroying all sense in comparison. Basically, you cannot compare both configurations' damage easily. Which brings us yet to another silly design blooper: when you point to an item, the statistic insert jumps out at you, and if it's let's say a weapon, two more stat inserts will jump our (for weapons in both your hands), effective covering ALL of your screen. Now, i could NOT (no matter how i tried) compare my ring's protection properties with the Actual Hero's Stats of Elemental protection. Unacceptable. Then, there are the graphics i like the overall design and atmosphere, but the textures are just washed out dyes. I did not feel personal with the Hero no matter how the equipped armor changed her looks. The weapons are actually terribly designed a cannon is a cylinder, and a sword is a stick. And Rare or Uniques do not differ from normal or enchanted sets. Major turn off. I was also playing on difficult setting, and could not amount any money whatsoever (the most i have possessed was around 30k), simply because as in the beginning of the game, or at level 40 you will set good items, really good sets or rares for around 100-200 gold pieces. What?! The skill tree is weird you cannot re-stat your points (actually, you can buy back only 3 latest points spent), and earlier skills do not contribute to later ones. So, does that mean that we should wait until Level 40 when the last skill opens up in a specific skill set tree to use it?! Come on... Things like that are all over the game; thankfully, Torchlight II is modable, and many people are making it better and better every day, with mods and improvements. Overall OK.
  2. Mar 27, 2014
    Nice game but pretty average (Played as Outlander). I honestly liked the first game better. Some maps are ridiculously large but other than random monsters don't offer anything else. There is only one sidequest in every camp and thats it, there is nothing else Your pet makes town scrolls useless so I don't see why are they in the game (I used them once during my 16hr gameplay). The lootNice game but pretty average (Played as Outlander). I honestly liked the first game better. Some maps are ridiculously large but other than random monsters don't offer anything else. There is only one sidequest in every camp and thats it, there is nothing else Your pet makes town scrolls useless so I don't see why are they in the game (I used them once during my 16hr gameplay). The loot system is broken I couldn't complete a single set and most of the stuff I got wasn't that good. I also ran out of mana all the time because the only way to eliminate monsters is with spells (the selection wasn't that good either) since weapons are pretty much useless and it takes forever to kill anything. Why some people say this is better than Diablo is beyond me since this game is way behind it. If you are looking for a game that can be compared to Diablo than that is definitely Titan Quest, a far superior game to Torchlight. Expand
  3. Dec 13, 2012
    Way better than the original. Multiplayer has some issues and will require mods to fix... The devs probably think not receiving loot/exp/fame because you were dead when your friend killed a boss is a good idea. The loot system is also annoying, with everyone having their own drops client side which expands on the previous issue; you pretty much have to stick together as an aoe spamfestWay better than the original. Multiplayer has some issues and will require mods to fix... The devs probably think not receiving loot/exp/fame because you were dead when your friend killed a boss is a good idea. The loot system is also annoying, with everyone having their own drops client side which expands on the previous issue; you pretty much have to stick together as an aoe spamfest swarm in MP to play effectively. Barring the MP issues this is a fantastic and stable game. $20 for a 20 hour campaign between multiple continents and cities is well worth it, even without any friends to play with. Expand
  4. Nov 23, 2015
    The second installment of the Torchlight series, Torchlight II, is definitely an enjoying Japanese-style fantasy strategy role-playing game that any RPG gamer will love.
  5. Nov 20, 2012
    This game have really bad graphics which is partly repaired with pretty good gameplay and some new things added in genre. The game is good but nothing to remember or play long time. But compared to D3 it's much better in gameplay even when graphics sucks badly.
  6. Nov 9, 2012
    This is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in theThis is a fun distraction and graphics are decent. It is essentially Diablo without all the nonesense that plagued D3 but lacks any real story and there are few to no rewarding cut scenes. Despite being a click fest and item management game it is addictive and fun. The soundtrack is almost identical to D2 and so it definitely brings out a pang of nostalgia. Its easy to lose time in the game though and as a diversion from more serious games that require attention and skill it is a perfect relaxation game. Expand
  7. Dec 4, 2012
    I am trying the Torchlight II demo to do a comparison with Diablo 3, I will likely buy the full version of T2 when I get paid later this week.

Summary: Diablo 3 has better aesthetics, sound and gameplay, however, Blizzard has ruined what should be a 9.5-10/10 rated game by the very poor loot system, extremely poor loot drop-rate and always online DRM for single player (all as a result of their money-grab real-money-auction house from which they take a 15% cut from) so that it is a 5-6/10 (poor-mediocre) rating instead.
    Alternatively, Torchlight 2 feels really dated, but it has none of the BS that has completely ruined Diablo 3 and that makes T2 a better game, I'll give it a 7/10 (decent but not excellent). I recommend you try the T2 demo before you buy it, it will give you a good idea if this is the game for you or not.

Details:

Pros: + $20US (fair price)
    + has a free demo you can try to see if you like the game before buying it
    + single player is played offline
    + customization of the look of your character is possible
    + loot is interesting and fun, rare items are good, upgrades drop often
    + mods allowed
    + no BS from the company running the game (with prior experience developing both Diablo 1 and 2, they know how to treat an ARPG and its player base)
    + non-linear questing, pick up quests and do then in order of your choosing
    + cut-scenes are good, cool stylized anime
    + being able to send your pet to sell your junk/buy potions is much better than needing to break the adventuring to port back to town everytime your bag is full
    + you can custom zoom from far to close on your toon with the mouse scroll wheel, nice way to see your toon's gear close up
    + start your char at whichever difficulty you want casual, normal to hard (5 difficulties if I remember right, might be 4)

Cons:

- your character looks kind of lame (very cartoonish but in a bad way, kinda like WoW Vanilla but even lamer/older looking)
    - looting, killing and combat sound effects sound lame (compared to D3)
    - annoyingly, boxes behind loot name text often hide you and the baddies you are trying to fight
    - voice acting is minimal and lame, most info given through text
    - story telling is minimal and meh
    - audio for cut-scenes stutters/hiccups every 2 seconds (at least on my PC, (don't have problem with D3, SKyrim, etc.))
    - this game feels really dated like a game from the late 90s
    - classes (4 choices) are kind of dull, 1 mage-like one, 1 berserker, I can't even remember what the other two were they were so uninteresting...

Neutral/Undecided:

. assign your own stats when you level (more control than D3 but more to think about and adds possiblility to break your character)
    . skills are permanent (you can only undo the last 3 choices for a price in town, not all. Adds risk and worry for the causal player, but true to older ARPG roots)
  8. Jun 24, 2013
    This game got hyped only because of failure of Diablo 3. This game is worse than Diablo 2 and Titan Quest. What is funny this game got even worse graphics than Titan Quest and TQ was released at 2006!!! Trust me if D3 did not failed nobody would rate this game 10 or even 9.
  9. Dec 29, 2012
    Over-hyped over-rated over-scored in metacritic. This game is nothing more than a generic, boring 'action rpg' with TERRIBLE childish graphics and a really STUPID story. It looks and plays like a BAD kiddy-version of Diabolo 2. Indeed the visual art style would have been considered pretty terrible on a Nintendo 64 Mario Cart game back in 1999. I can only conclude that the many 10/10 scoresOver-hyped over-rated over-scored in metacritic. This game is nothing more than a generic, boring 'action rpg' with TERRIBLE childish graphics and a really STUPID story. It looks and plays like a BAD kiddy-version of Diabolo 2. Indeed the visual art style would have been considered pretty terrible on a Nintendo 64 Mario Cart game back in 1999. I can only conclude that the many 10/10 scores in here were written by Diabolo fans, venting against Diabolo 3. Yet they wrote their reviews without buying of playing this game. For all the many things Diabolo 3 got wrong it is a clearly superior, clearly superior game, to this POS which looks like it was designed for kindergarteners. One can also conclude, that sadly, a large proportion of the metacritic user population live in a fantasy realm and feel it is legitimate to hold and exercise strong opinions about games they haven't actually played. Gentlemen, you are WIERD. Expand
  10. May 12, 2016
    It's a Hack n' Slash (so you spend half your time mass-killing things) posing as an RPG (so you spend the other half reading piles of numbers inside your inventory). It does what it says on the cover, and it does it well, like its predecessor. It makes you click mindlessly everywhere and constantly, while keeping you under the illusion that you are smarter than your neighbour because youIt's a Hack n' Slash (so you spend half your time mass-killing things) posing as an RPG (so you spend the other half reading piles of numbers inside your inventory). It does what it says on the cover, and it does it well, like its predecessor. It makes you click mindlessly everywhere and constantly, while keeping you under the illusion that you are smarter than your neighbour because you put 1 point in some attribute instead of another.

I had fun for a few hours watching my alpaca headbutting beasties into corpses and corpses into dust while its pet, a female engineer, displayed her terrible aiming skills with a gigantic wrench.

Torchlight 2 has a few qualities, yet has kept all the flaws of the genre:
    - Boring loot, with tons of junk, each item with several lines of fraction numbers to compare.
    - Tons of useless consumables
    - Tons of useless features, often 1 disguised as several (like enchantment rites and gem inserts)
    - Tons of useless restrictions
    - Useless merchants, offering nothing you'll want to buy, instead of a good old scrap-monger.
    - Unrewarding rewards (mildly interesting when you are offered a quest, obsolete when obtained)
    - No saving, justified (by other classic design errors like randomising everything) but still Wrong 101.

Funny that the only frustration from earlier games that the Torchlight series address belonged to RPGs (I'm talking about backtracking to sell loot from limited inventories.) The only Hn'S that address the Hn'S issues (and that I know of) are the DeathSpank games. I can finish a DeathSpank game, but with Torchlight, I always have enough after a few hours in.
  11. May 24, 2015
    Compared to boring Torchlight 1, the second game is a blast.

Compared to boring Torchlight 1, the second game is a blast.

It's a really fleshed out hack'n'slash game that offers everything one could want from a such game. I think it's the first h'n's game since Diablo 2 I really enjoyed and finished more than once. Even the art direction of this series, which I dislike very much, wasn't enought to pull me off from playing it hour after hour, trying new characters and builds.
  12. Dec 9, 2012
    I felt that TL2 had potential but the lack of detail, story, interesting dialogues, things you can interact and mana restrictions just make it an average game. Enemies are not very interesting, there no is lore/backstory to them and it feels like a hack n slash with a really cut down core. What I did enjoy was the open style of the game and how I didn't feel very restricted. Playing withI felt that TL2 had potential but the lack of detail, story, interesting dialogues, things you can interact and mana restrictions just make it an average game. Enemies are not very interesting, there no is lore/backstory to them and it feels like a hack n slash with a really cut down core. What I did enjoy was the open style of the game and how I didn't feel very restricted. Playing with others was always fun, you're character would always be useful and you would always access some kind of support/team skills. The sounds and visuals are great and the stat mechanics are good. The big problem is that this game just doesn't provide large content outside of repetition, the whole hack n slash aspect isn't even particularly good and the game doesn't really leave you with memories. There are uniques for specific classes and if you're playing alone, all you'll do is recycle them because equipment which is valuable doesn't sell for anything and enchantments can result in a potentially great equip being mediocre unless you have tons of money. A lack of lore and dialogues seriously hampers this game and I felt they could of provided more. Each skill has a use and no skill is bad but using several skills decimates your mana and kind of ruins the fun, but wait, there are also abilites which are non-class specific which rape your mana even harder. And the hitboxes are just so frustrating at times, nearly everything which isn't small has hitboxes which are too big and it is almost impossible to target a specific target in a group of enemies. Overall, it's a decent game but falls well short of being a good RPG/hack n slash combo because of the huge flaws. Fact is, I'd rather be playing Path of Exile because it's way more fun and provides the same type of content. Expand
  13. Jun 1, 2014
    I haven't played an ARPG in awhile and wanted to ease back into the genre. I wasn't disappointed at all. This is a fun fast paced game with a cartoon art style. You will get your moneys worth with at least 30 hours of content to explore if all side quests are played out. The only gripe I have is that when played on normal you get over powered quickly. So at the end of the game I justI haven't played an ARPG in awhile and wanted to ease back into the genre. I wasn't disappointed at all. This is a fun fast paced game with a cartoon art style. You will get your moneys worth with at least 30 hours of content to explore if all side quests are played out. The only gripe I have is that when played on normal you get over powered quickly. So at the end of the game I just breezed through the last boss. Play on hard. Expand
  14. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    The new king of ARPGs. But there is one major flaw with ARPGs and that is gameplay - it becomes EXTREMELY repetitive fast - kill this, kill that!
  15. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a great little action game, I like its graphics style, the sound score, the atmosphere and such. However, the graphical fidelity isn't amazing, the gameplay is more of the same (which isn't bad, but not amazing either, imo), the story I didn't pay attention to in the slightest, something with someone, kill it etc. I usually pay attention to the story in games, but here I justThis is a great little action game, I like its graphics style, the sound score, the atmosphere and such. However, the graphical fidelity isn't amazing, the gameplay is more of the same (which isn't bad, but not amazing either, imo), the story I didn't pay attention to in the slightest, something with someone, kill it etc. I usually pay attention to the story in games, but here I just couldn't be bothered. I didn't really see or experience any bugs, so it, to me, is quite a polished game, which adds to the fun, by being less frustrating than the competition.

All in all its a very acceptable game, but I can't bring myself to play it more than I have, however, for the money it cost, and the amount of hours I got out of it, it is a damn good deal. If you like action games, get it. 7/10
  16. Nov 20, 2012
    This is generally a good game, and if you liked the first version you'll definitely enjoy this one too. It does some things to improve on the first version, especially the diverse variety of locations (whereas in the first torchlight you just kept going deeper and deeper down in the same mine forever). The gameplay is basically the same as the first version, some minor improvements, butThis is generally a good game, and if you liked the first version you'll definitely enjoy this one too. It does some things to improve on the first version, especially the diverse variety of locations (whereas in the first torchlight you just kept going deeper and deeper down in the same mine forever). The gameplay is basically the same as the first version, some minor improvements, but essentially the same kinda feel to it. My two main criticisms with it are 1) the repetitive nature of the gameplay, there is little to no variety in the actual gameplay (kill monsters, collect loot, upgrade gear, sell inventory, repeat cycle thousands of times) and 2) the relative shallow nature of the actual storyline and character development, which makes for something that just isn't immersive enough for my taste.
    Overall, it's a relatively enjoyable romp for short spurts of time here and there (after an hour or so I tend to get bored with it, turn it off, then several days later turn it on for another hour or so), but nothing that I can really sink my teeth into with much succulence. If you loved the first one, you'll love this one even more. If you had mixed feelings about the first one, you'll probably have mixed feelings about this one too. If you have never played the first one, go buy this one and see if you like it- best case scenario you'll love it, worse case scenario you'll still think it worthy of it's low price tag.
  17. Jul 28, 2013
    A lot of progress and improvements have been made since the first Torchlight. This game is very large with detailed maps and dungeons. The level design is not repetitive at all from start to finish. I love how the internet coop works as well.

The only bad thing is, after you have finished the game, you feel kind of full of it and anything beyond that is just a grind fest. Nothing new (except extra dungeons), no pvp, just creep carnage and better items. Same suffering as with the Diablo 3.

Conclusion: If you are looking for 15-20 hours of fun aRPG gameplay, go for it.
  18. Jan 11, 2013
    I love the first Torchlight and played it though numerous times. Despite alot of things being better in TL2, something it missing. The game is just plain old boring. The skills are mindless with zero depth. You'll be using the same 2-3 abilities from lvl 1 right to the end of the game. Gear seams to matter little apart from better stats. I was able to finish this game once... barelyI love the first Torchlight and played it though numerous times. Despite alot of things being better in TL2, something it missing. The game is just plain old boring. The skills are mindless with zero depth. You'll be using the same 2-3 abilities from lvl 1 right to the end of the game. Gear seams to matter little apart from better stats. I was able to finish this game once... barely (not from difficulty but from tedium) and haven't touched it since. Its really too bad, had this simply been TL1 + multiplayer it would've rocked. As it stands, its just bland... Expand
  19. Sep 22, 2012
    The game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unlessThe game builds on nothing. If you loved Diablo 2 (Diablo 2 not Diablo 3), then you'll love this game. Its not innovative, it offers nothing new to the ARPG genre. The skill system is very small and robust. Its more spam skills to win, rather then having interesting Attack/Defensive/passive combos that make your character amazing. It really turned out to be boring. Do not recommend unless you are not satisfied with Diablo 3, its no better. Expand
  20. Oct 26, 2012
    This game is very similar to Diablo 2, but more fast paced - different style of graphics and takes place in a different world. Multiplayer is expanded but there are a lot of connectivity issues in games, especially for parties 4 and more. Skill and stat point mapping is the exact similar to D2 but it's a lot easier to get unique items and thus makes it more fun to play. Shared stashThis game is very similar to Diablo 2, but more fast paced - different style of graphics and takes place in a different world. Multiplayer is expanded but there are a lot of connectivity issues in games, especially for parties 4 and more. Skill and stat point mapping is the exact similar to D2 but it's a lot easier to get unique items and thus makes it more fun to play. Shared stash between your characters ensures that every item you find is useful and encourages you to play all 4 classes. The game's 'veteran' difficulty should really be the 'normal', and the 'elite' would be very hard. Anything under veteran is much too easy. Scaling of difficulty is a bit extreme. There are some issues with the balance of skills and classes as well. Not every build is feasible to use in elite. The story is non existent, as should be expected (it's really not that type of game.) It's a game where you mindlessly kill things and get loot and to try out different builds using stat/skill allocations. For 20 bucks the game is fair and not too expensive to play. You'll probably get bored of it after finishing the game story for 4 classes, regardless of difficulty - unless you are looking to beat the game on elite for all 4 classes. Just an FYI, outlander and embermage are extremely overpowered when compared to engineer and berserker based on the current patch. Buy it if you want to kill some time with a relatively fun (but short lived game). Expand
  21. Apr 28, 2013
    Irrespective of my opinion of torchlight 2. First of all let me congratulate the developers for having offline and LAN play, i wish AAA publishers would still treat us with respect.

Now, why this game wasn't for me is because of the story. What story? You are right, there isn't any! And being a guy that likes story along with the gameplay aspect of the game, i was not very immersed in it.
    This game does so much right! But without a decent story and a narrative to drive it forward, i couldn't get into it (i played it single player though). And that pains me.

However if you are a person who plays with his/her friends in a co-op setting. You'll have definitely more fun that i did. Or if u don't care about this story.
    Like i said before this game does so much right an awesome class system, leveling up system (although it happened far less then i required it to happen :P), pets and there roles, unique art style and the combat system.
    All let down by the game's storyline.
    This is my honest opinion about the game. But if you are someone who doesn't care about a story and just wants to focus on the combat and leveling up his/her character then ignore this review and buy the game...seriously
  22. Oct 3, 2012
    I wish i could rate this game higher, but the game has some problems i just cant get around. But first, the good: The music is wounderfull, it has a very Diablo 2 feel and i absolutely love it. The price is awesome and i hope the tactic works in their favour. The amount of freedom in how you build and play your character is splendid, im not locked in the same way as you were in Diablo 3.I wish i could rate this game higher, but the game has some problems i just cant get around. But first, the good: The music is wounderfull, it has a very Diablo 2 feel and i absolutely love it. The price is awesome and i hope the tactic works in their favour. The amount of freedom in how you build and play your character is splendid, im not locked in the same way as you were in Diablo 3. And its a pretty lenghty game with multiplayer for added enjoyment and longlivity. And now for the bad: My biggest problem with this game, and what stops me from enjoying myself is the iOS game feeling i get from it. The controlls feels clunky and unresponsive, as i hit enemies my attacks have no "impact" no "ompf!" it just feels like im flailing around in nothingness and yet stuff is dying. There is problems with the accurateness of the mousepointer also, more then often i find myself accidently picking up stuff i do not want or struggeling with clicking on something that i want to use thanks to the pointer not acctually beeing where it tells me it is. I do not know if this is a problem with just my system, ive tried mixing around with mouse settings in setpoint and disabled my other monitors if the game had some problems with my eyefinity setup but still, the problem persists. The graphics, althou very nice, mixed with the clunkyness of the menues adds to the feeling that i am playing a game ported from an iPad to a PC, which is not the case. All in all this is a good game that would have been a great game if it was not for the iOS-game feeling i get from it. Expand
  23. Feb 23, 2013
    Felt a lot like Diablo III, except the UI and character building feels very clumsy. Some great concepts and ideas, but I felt they weren't very polished.
  24. Sep 22, 2012
    The game is great, but it's not excellent. Definitely a refreshing experience, after the trainwreck that was Diablo 3. The combat is fun, the itemization is interesting, the classes are neat. Overall it's a good game, incredible music too. There are just a wide range of small complaints I have, which by themselves are only minor-annoyances, but when put together it can be a real damper onThe game is great, but it's not excellent. Definitely a refreshing experience, after the trainwreck that was Diablo 3. The combat is fun, the itemization is interesting, the classes are neat. Overall it's a good game, incredible music too. There are just a wide range of small complaints I have, which by themselves are only minor-annoyances, but when put together it can be a real damper on your experience. The biggest issue is that the hitboxes for monsters and items are way too big; when you try to move, you often end up attacking instead and it can cause a lot of accidental deaths. Attacking up/down cliffs is also awkward, and you never know what's gonna block your shots. The game engine feels poorly designed. Other than that, the game is loads of fun. No DRM, great game for LAN parties and online alike. Expand
  25. Jun 8, 2014
    a good single player.
    but heavily bugged on the coop side.
    and it was abandoned too soon after launch.

with a few patches it might reach a 9. but, at the moment, it's a just a cheap, sufficiently good single player arpg.

what a pity
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    The game itself is very fun, but I feel it's been adopted by a community of people that had no real intentions on a rounded out online experience. The game allows you to transition freely between single character and multiplayer, which is a complete disaster for a legitimate economy, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Diablo series so much. If you took this game and addedThe game itself is very fun, but I feel it's been adopted by a community of people that had no real intentions on a rounded out online experience. The game allows you to transition freely between single character and multiplayer, which is a complete disaster for a legitimate economy, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Diablo series so much. If you took this game and added closed/unhackable/unmoddable servers then it would be the game for me. It's just not and I have to be honest in saying I'm disappointed. I still like the closed realm design and removing that removed what I really wanted in this game. Has nothing to do with NOT BEING LIKE DIABLO, it's what I expect from ARPG games period. A legitimate online server system. It's not much to ask in 2012. Expand
  27. Sep 28, 2012
    I really can't find much wrong with this game but it just doesn't draw me in. I like the art style but just feel like all I'm doing is mindlessly clicking.
  28. Nov 22, 2012
    A customizable Diablo with cartoony graphics, not so great story line (if theres any), voice overs are really bad but the game is fun and definitely worth the price.
  29. Jun 24, 2013
    I don't understand the overwhelmingly high scores for this game, because Torchlight II feels to me like the pinnacle of mediocrity. Really I can only bring myself to play it after having played Diablo 3 to death; over 300 hours for D3 and only 20 for T2.

My main problem with T2 is that it copies ideas from every other RPG and has almost no originality--or at least no good, original ideas. I swear several of the music tracks sound like they were ripped right out of Diablo 2. I've been playing an embermage and the skills, while pretty original, are hit or miss in the fun department; but it does have some limited respecing, which is appreciated. The loot is kind of difficult to figure out the mechanics of as you're never quite sure what effect some of the modifiers will have, albeit it's not as bad as Dungeon Siege III in this aspect. Same thing for spell properties and damage. You're given a DPS rating for the weapons in your hand but no average spell damage. And the most mystifying thing of all is the character attributes. As a mage, your damage is increased by both Focus, Strength, and Dexterity--it boggles the mind! Aside from that, the story--as others have pointed out--is complete trash, I just skip right over it.

As far as good things, there isn't much to point out. But it does have support for mods, which is nice, but it's nowhere near Skyrim mod levels. I'm wracking my head trying to think of more good things about this game, but it's just so... average.
  30. Sep 26, 2012
    Would i have not know PATH OF EXILE, torchlight 2 would have been fun. But i play the damn POE beta and so torchlight give me a taste of more of the same, starless. It is an ok game, it doesn t have the flaws D3 have (not difficult) but it ain t innovative, it ain t creative, it brings nothing interesting. Its a well executed bland game. But unfortunately uninteresting to me now,Would i have not know PATH OF EXILE, torchlight 2 would have been fun. But i play the damn POE beta and so torchlight give me a taste of more of the same, starless. It is an ok game, it doesn t have the flaws D3 have (not difficult) but it ain t innovative, it ain t creative, it brings nothing interesting. Its a well executed bland game. But unfortunately uninteresting to me now, character development is...boring dull narrow. If i had to resume ...TL2 is starless it not flawed but its doesn t shine, i will play it from time to time until i know the end story but just that. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Games Master UK
    Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]