8.6

1. Sep 20, 2012
    This game get's a 10/10, I've been playing the press release.

First of all, graphics sound style charm blablabla we've all heard it before. So let me instead say what stuck out to me. Somehow because of my own idiocy I lost 8-9 hours of progress on an elite DW berzerker I made. I was half way thru act 2. Needless to say this was frustrating, so I had an idea. I'm only allowed to
    This game get's a 10/10, I've been playing the press release.

I'm only allowed to show act 1-2 and everyone saw 1 from the beta, so I decided to spend my second, returning 9 hour trainride rushing 5 characters to the end of act 1.

Thanks to a 3 hour train delay I succeeded. I made a lvl 21 dualzerker which rocks, a lvl 21 tankgineer which rocks, a lvl 21 embermage that demolishes elite, a lvl 21 melee 2h engineer I need to work on, and a lvl 21 bowlander that's starting to rock.

Here is the important reason why the game is a ten/ten. Alone, playing single player in a train, with a malfunctioning mouse, I didn't get bored playing 5 characters through the same act. To the contrary I really enjoyed seeing my builds come to life.

you think the repetition would kill you, but the randomized chunks are magic. Honestly diablo 2 has it easier I realized, because part of the reason it captivates me is because the crap graphics let my imagination fill in the blanks. In TL2 everything looks so good, that it's easy to get tired of seeing the same urns over and over. So Runic ingeniously made randomized chunks and they keep the game super fresh. I'd be just starting to grumble over doing the same quest, when I'd run across a little scene, nook, or area I hadn't seen before and it just seemed so wonderful and alive. Like the world evolves with my character. It's hard to describe the feeling, but it just keeps the game from getting tedious if you appreciate exploration like I do.

The skills are IMO not perfect, but they will never be as we all want different things. I'll do a skill change request thread later. Some buffs I thought could have lasted 3-5 seconds longer and some tier bonuses I thought could have been more generous given the mana cost. However each skill has purpose, and if you build correctly you could make many of the active skills your main. I'm going to eventually make a fire bomb embermage instead of the cliche magma spear build.

The difficulties are great now. Veteran becomes legitimately challenging and elite is freaking hard though I have conquered it with one build.

Mainly I have to give a lot of points because I was doubtful about how far they'd come from the beta and they went over my expectations. Every single change I've noticed from the beta not only do I approve of but appreciate. They made dual wield claw berzerkers viable, they nerfed everything that trivialized elite yet unlike some companies nerfed the skills to "viable" instead of "useless."

They are true to their word that you can become OP for moments, only to find in the next 6-8 levels that your enemies have caught back up, or even become stronger than you again.

There is the sweet pain of letting go of a piece of armor that boosted your damage because you are in sore need of more survival based affixes.

The act changes are also great. I won't talk about act 3, but in act 2 I felt, rightly so, that engineers and berzerkers suffered from all the slowing ice damage. Lo in behold though in act 2's desert againt physical opponents my berzerker began to thrive like no other. The acts DO feel different from eachother, and this is very good.

Monsters are fantastic, I find myself thinking, "oh it's one of those types. I better avoid x and do y." Like when I see basilisks I keep my distance and hit and run to avoid being snared by their gaze. When I see hordes of small minions I dive in with AOE to make sure I kill them before their fast damage kills me. Some of my classes handle projectile enemies better, some handle mages better, and some handle melee better. Each play through feels different.

The item game is super sweet. I love the new affixes. Life and mana regen are helpful. The new "cast on hits" are cool. But specifically a lot of uniques were changed since beta. Now every class specific unique has 1-2 affixes that specifically help one or 2 builds for that class. Whenever I find a class unique I get excited and can easily imagine how to best utilize it.

The boss fights were good but I am still a little dissapointed in act 1's. Act 1 feels too fast for me. You meet the wise guy for all of 2 seconds and then he becomes [spoiler] . I was hoping to get more attached to him first.

Every act felt different, the difficulty got progressively harder, the loot and randomization were utterly superb.

All and all, I'm going to waste my life playing this game. I'm adoomgod on steam, feel free to add me, I'll help you min-max your character if you want. I enjoy all modes of difficulty.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    Finally the Torch has come back!!!!Much better than imagination, every thing that diablo failed to deliver is here in torchlight.Great Game play ,Superior Graphics, Awesome music, Improved Skills, Massive Loot,Greater builds, Multiplier support, Moding and a long lasting game play what else did a PC gamer wants now.In my opinion Torchlight 2 Deserve an 11/10 for there extra ordinaryFinally the Torch has come back!!!!Much better than imagination, every thing that diablo failed to deliver is here in torchlight.Great Game play ,Superior Graphics, Awesome music, Improved Skills, Massive Loot,Greater builds, Multiplier support, Moding and a long lasting game play what else did a PC gamer wants now.In my opinion Torchlight 2 Deserve an 11/10 for there extra ordinary great work.the new King of Rpg has Arrive All hail Torchlight 2. Expand
  3. Sep 20, 2012
    After playing Diablo 3 for four plus months, I was surprised a game for $20 could offer me so much more for my money. I'm thrilled with Torchlight II's classes, skill trees, player choices from character creation to stat allocation, and the gargantuan open world. The game is absolutely huge, has tons and tons of content, and can be played offline so no more lag deaths, or lag period.After playing Diablo 3 for four plus months, I was surprised a game for $20 could offer me so much more for my money. I'm thrilled with Torchlight II's classes, skill trees, player choices from character creation to stat allocation, and the gargantuan open world. The game is absolutely huge, has tons and tons of content, and can be played offline so no more lag deaths, or lag period. Graphics are beautiful and the amount of things to do are just shocking for such a modest price-point. Not to mention all the great features from pets to multi-player to extra difficulties to lv 100!! I can pay my deepest respect by stating one key fact, "I will be playing this game for a great portion of my foreseeable future." Expand
  4. Sep 20, 2012
    Amazing, simply amazing. The TRUE continuation of Diablo 2. The work of Runic Games has been amazing, improving in every way and as a result getting one of the best A-RPG of history.
  5. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is everything I want in a loot driven game. The only strike against it is it didn't launch on may 20th for when i got disgusted with Diablo 3.

I actually look forward to killing mobs in this game. Loot drops that actually can be used by my character. I don't spend more time grinding out gold to browse an auction house. I get to actually play a game, instead of an economy system.

And they managed to make a game this fantastic run smoothly on my laptop, which is pretty much garbage in 2012.
  6. Sep 20, 2012
    Simply a great game, the randomization of chunks and areas, along with the various character builds make for great re-playability, and of course once the mod community gets in full force with the Dev tools we will truly have an expansive and unique in game experience
  7. Sep 20, 2012
    A true spiritual successor to Diablo 2, Torchlight 2 has taken the classic ARPG formula and not only improved but innovated as well. Overall an amazing game that has MASSIVELY improved on the first one. For $20 this is a game that is a DEFINITE BUY. PERFECT DUNGEON CRAWL

With four different classes at your disposal and several pets to choose from, the replayability of this game is quite amazing. Each class has its own set spells and unlike Torchlight 1, the classes don't share any skills. What does this mean for you? A plethora of customization options! You could opt to play an Engineer as a unstoppable tank, or a support with many bots and gadgets at your disposal, or a hammer wielding hero that destroys anything in its path. The choices and builds you can make are endless. On the top of my head, I can already think of FIVE, yes FIVE, different builds for the Engineer that are not only viable but fun as well and I'm sure there's other people who've thought of builds I haven't consider yet. What can you expect from each class? You can expect no less than five different ways to play. The world is very open and beautiful. It rotates from grass levels, to snow, to desert and all around beautiful combined with great musical pieces. Another aspect of the game that is fantastic is the fact that the boss fights are VERY FUN and ENGAGING. Co-op is simply fantastic. You can play with 5 of your friends or random people and crawl through the toughest dungeons, with each person using their class in a different way, this is bound to be fun for everyone. The loot is fantastic, there's so much of it its great and you get a feel of SATISFACTION each time you get a piece. There's also mods mods mods. Really there's so much great about this game.
  8. Sep 20, 2012
    Did you ever catch yourself in those nostalgic daydreaming about the days gone by, in which the games were judged by how fun and complex they were? Well, I am pleased to announce that Torchlight 2 is one of those games. Many call it "spiritual successor to Diablo series", "the thing that should have been Diablo 3" etc. ... I call it - a classic hack & slash action RPG, tailored to theDid you ever catch yourself in those nostalgic daydreaming about the days gone by, in which the games were judged by how fun and complex they were? Well, I am pleased to announce that Torchlight 2 is one of those games. Many call it "spiritual successor to Diablo series", "the thing that should have been Diablo 3" etc. ... I call it - a classic hack & slash action RPG, tailored to the needs of the gamers (not the needs of corporate publisher fatcats), with extremely appealing art style, graphics, and most magnificent orchestral soundtrack composed by none other than Matt Uelemen, the genius behind the Diablo 1 & 2 soundtracks. The gameplay in this game is smooth, the audio and visuals simply flow even on older machines, and you can play the game in multiplayer, either online via matchmaker lobby or offline in LAN! Oh LAN, how we all dearly missed you :) ... anyway, you owe yourself to buy this game, because at the extraordinarily low price of 20$ I cannot imagine anyone being able not to afford it. P.S: The game must have some bad traits, but I cannot seem to find them from all the fun I'm currently having :D Expand
  9. Sep 20, 2012
    torchlight 2..... is hands down much better than diablo 3. the graphics are cartoonish but the game play is 100 times better then diablo 3. torchlight 2 > diablo 3.

Runic killed it (in a good way), Jay wilson killed it with a knife and continued to stab the dead body overly killing it.
  10. d3v
    Sep 20, 2012
    10/10, just because this game makes one thing that diablo III didn't make after sometime: fun

Seriously, this is a pretty awesome game, and for 20 bucks it's worth it!
  11. Nov 26, 2012
  12. Sep 20, 2012
    ARPG perfection. This game is amazing. Play it! It's $20! Everything about this game is fantastic: graphics, music, gameplay, and story is pretty tight so far. This might be my favorite game of all-time.
  13. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow Awsome game, went in skeptical and have thus far been blown away i immediatly got the feeling that i have so long wanted from Diablo 3 ........guys this is the real deal, will be playing for years to come great job runic.

Buy this game people it wont disapoint.
  14. Sep 20, 2012
    The best game on my steam library i would gladly pay 35 pounds for this game but its only 15 POUNDS!!!!
    this feels and plays like a triple a game. i havent played diablo 3 so i cant compare but my freinds have it and say torchlight is MUCH MUCH better
  15. Sep 20, 2012
    Something the industry doesn't pull off often is a cheap game with way a ridiculous amount of bang for it's buck. For most of the pitfalls of Diablo 3, this fixes it.
  16. Sep 20, 2012
    Props for Runic Games for giving us this awesome game. A true ARPG (Action Role Playing Game) and not an Auction RPG. You won't regret buying this game because for $20 it's a steal. You will get more content than what you paid for and not to mention this game's replay value. Nowadays where $60 is the norm for pc games, this one truly delivers especially for gamers who are in tight budgetProps for Runic Games for giving us this awesome game. A true ARPG (Action Role Playing Game) and not an Auction RPG. You won't regret buying this game because for $20 it's a steal. You will get more content than what you paid for and not to mention this game's replay value. Nowadays where $60 is the norm for pc games, this one truly delivers especially for gamers who are in tight budget and just want to purchase a "bang for the buck" game. This is it guys! This is Torchlight 2! Enjoy! Expand
  17. Sep 20, 2012
    The flow is there and it is great, once you start playing you just keep on going and all the little tedious actions like selling junk etc. are reduced to a bare minimum.
  18. Sep 20, 2012
    I've played Torchlight II for 30 seconds, and it's the best game ever. I played Diablo III for 750 hours, and it's the worst game ever.

If we really want to make a stand and tell ActiBli$$ard and Jay Fatboy Wilson, "!@#$ that loser," we must be vigilant. Buy as many copies of Torchlight II as you can afford, and rate the game as high as you can on as many websites as humanly possible. Speak nothing good about Diablow III, and speak nothing bad about Torchlight II.

Together, we can take a humongous collective dump on ActiBli$$ard's chest by making sure Torchlight II outsells that crappy crapfest Diablow III by leaps and bounds.

ARE YOU WITH ME, PATRIOTS?
  19. Sep 20, 2012
    Buy this game now. I am constantly being blown away by this game at ever turn. To this review off I simply must talk about the character classes and items. I have played with each class and they are each unique and fun in their own way. The skill tier system and the skills themselves are fun. One embermage passive allows you to randomly call down meteors, spawn vortexes, acid rain,Buy this game now. I am constantly being blown away by this game at ever turn. To this review off I simply must talk about the character classes and items. I have played with each class and they are each unique and fun in their own way. The skill tier system and the skills themselves are fun. One embermage passive allows you to randomly call down meteors, spawn vortexes, acid rain, firestorms, and confusion ALL WITH ONE SKILL. The item system is great and allows you to truly customize your characters. Unique items do unique things I recently found a ring that summons a floating skull that zaps enemies around me. The pet system is fantastic and keep you in the action by going back to town to sell your gear. Pets can also learn spells so mine currently summons skeletons and heals me while shooting fireballs. There are several pets to chose from and each can be transformed using fish into new monsters with new abilities.

The overworld is MASSIVE, filled with tons of surprises at each turn. Random dungeons are huge and have their own bosses (boss fights are hectic and a ton of fun). The art style is unique and the dynamic day/night and weather system really add to the atmosphere. It is also important to note that the game is fully moddable so expect tons of community created content.

To put it simply Runic games has created the best ARPG on the market and it doesn't even come close. You owe it to yourself to spend the $20 and enjoy the hours and hours of fun this game will provide for you and your friends (the game supports up to 6 players in one game online) the game also has an offline mode so you can play without internet.

Once again: BUY THIS GAME NOW
  20. Sep 20, 2012
    The perfect ARPG. This game delivers everything you'd want in an ARPG: extreme customization of skills and character, loot, loot and more loot. GETTING LOOT IS ACTUALLY SATISFYING AND REWARDING. The game is to put it simply - perfection.
  21. LMW
    Sep 20, 2012
    Amazingly-solid gameplay, great soundtrack, warm graphics, diverse classes, LOTS of areas to explore and monsters to slay! And all that for just $20!
  22. Sep 20, 2012
    Finally, a true successor to Diablo 2! Torchlight II is amazing, and the customizeability, depth, music, and addictiveness of the game all stay true to Diablo 2. If you were ever bored, dissapointed, or frustrated with Diablo 3, then this game is for you.

Diablo 3 ended up being a hollow shell of what the series could have been because it was ruined by a new developer team. Torchlight II is created by many of the same head developers that worked on Diablo 1 and 2.
  23. Sep 20, 2012
    Amazing game ! Runic well done ! you guys show a ARPG game should be look like, no more DRM or RMAH crap, just simply play and fun.
    I think I will buy 2 more TL2 for my wife and daughter :D
  24. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is amazing 10/10. Been waiting a long time for it and it was well worth the wait. Best rpg since diablo 2, and since diablo3 was so awful this has really showed me that there is yet hope in the gaming industry. Great game, even greater price, can't go wrong. Music sounds like D2, Combat plays somewhat like d2, great skill system, classic items and drops....take it from a die hardThis game is amazing 10/10. Been waiting a long time for it and it was well worth the wait. Best rpg since diablo 2, and since diablo3 was so awful this has really showed me that there is yet hope in the gaming industry. Great game, even greater price, can't go wrong. Music sounds like D2, Combat plays somewhat like d2, great skill system, classic items and drops....take it from a die hard d2 fan. This game will not disappoint. Expand
  25. Sep 20, 2012
    The most addictive game I've played in a long time! There is not doubt that the creators of Runic Games were once Blizzard North. This game is not a Diablo clone, it's going to be a legend by itself! And the music it's amazing!
  26. Sep 20, 2012
    It does everything perfectly.
    It feels like Diablo I / Diablo II
    Blood, blood everywhere!
    Buy it - you won't regret!
    Multiplayer+Lan support. No **** online DRM and Real money auction house. You can switch seamlessly between single and multiplayer mode to play with friends, share loots.
  27. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow Runic games have done it again with a wonderful masterpiece. I was stunned by how well everything was made and performed. Instant 10/10. The only people who give it a 0, 1, or 2 are people who obviously haven't played the game!
  28. Sep 20, 2012
    This is a 10/10 game. BUY IT, DO NOT PIRATE IT. It has the charisma, the music, the action, the LOOT, the RPG depth (welcome back stat points/skill points, you were missed), and the story to be a grade A action RPG. It does everything an aRPG should do in ways that Diablo 3 doesn't. It scratches all of those itches that D3 hasn't. It is what D3 should have been but isn't. And RunicThis is a 10/10 game. BUY IT, DO NOT PIRATE IT. It has the charisma, the music, the action, the LOOT, the RPG depth (welcome back stat points/skill points, you were missed), and the story to be a grade A action RPG. It does everything an aRPG should do in ways that Diablo 3 doesn't. It scratches all of those itches that D3 hasn't. It is what D3 should have been but isn't. And Runic did it in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the money charging only a fraction of the retail price.

My favorite thing about TL2 is how much it looks, feels, sounds, and plays like an old school Blizzard game. I felt more nostalgic about the good old days in the first 5 minutes of TL2 than I did in my entire run of playing SC2, D3, Cata, etc COMBINED.

So, thank you Blizzard North-- I mean, Runic-- for doing what you do best. This game is a classic in the making, and it's only going to get better.
  29. Sep 20, 2012
    There isn't much to say here. Torchlight 2 is a true successor to the ARPG genre and warrants every piece of good criticism out there. The graphics are not in my taste but I'd rather spend hours upon hours playing this than some stripped down game that moves the ARPG backwards. Great job Runic Games I look forward to playing this title in the coming future.
  30. Sep 20, 2012
    After playing the full release over the last week, I think I can safely say that Torchlight 2 is the action RPG I have been wanting for the last decade. I will most likely be playing it off and on for the next few years. While there are some things I would prefer were different (that is what mods are for), Here are eight things I absolutely love about it. ###1: The Loot: Items to makeAfter playing the full release over the last week, I think I can safely say that Torchlight 2 is the action RPG I have been wanting for the last decade. I will most likely be playing it off and on for the next few years. While there are some things I would prefer were different (that is what mods are for), Here are eight things I absolutely love about it. ###1: The Loot: Items to make a build around###
    I love the Torchlight 2 loot. Sometimes it is hard to immediately tell whether an item is strictly better than another, but I find the stats easy to read and the abilities exciting. The most impressive things is that several of the weapons are impressive enough to make me want to create builds just to use them...

###2: The New Skill Tree: Anticipating the Next Level###
    The updated skill system is a great change from the standard skill trees we saw at beta (and light-years ahead of TL 1). I find myself looking forward to each level combination and striving to get the next tier bonus. I also find myself hovering over the other skills in my character and planning out new and exciting builds as I play the game. Even with 150 skill points, I find that there is just too much for one play through of each character. I think Torchlight 2 may be the first game since Diablo 2 that I create character after character to try out new combinations.

###3: The World: Gameplay that Stays Fresh###
    Torchlight 2 has the best randomization of any 3D ARPG ever made. In addition to randomness, there is a massive variety in the areas I go to. About every five minutes (unless I am doing a complete full clear of one of the bigger areas), I experience a complete scenery change. There are multiple dungeon themes and layouts for every large area and they all feel unique. Overall I don't experience the fatigue from extended play that I get in other games. ###4: The Monsters: Interesting Combinations to Fight###
    Monsters in Torchlight 2 are interesting to fight (which is good, because the game revolves around fighting them). For instance, one Act 2 dungeon I recently went into had the following mix of monsters Including: 1Mobile towers that spawned high damage lighting copters, 2 Walking machine gun turrets, 3 Lightning mages that casted high damage but easily dodged lightning orbs, 4 Shielded warriors that hindered me from getting to the artillery in the back, 5 A series of deadly blade traps on the ground that further limited movement. I found myself having to dodge in and out of the room while prioritizing targets and trying to avoid getting focused by the mini-copters and artillery. Honestly, this room felt like a gigantic puzzle in Elite Mode and I felt a serious sense of accomplishment for killing them all without dying. This makes the game fun and made me want to keep going deeper to see what tactics the next area would require.

####5: Variable Difficulty: Neither Insulting nor Frustrating###
    As I get older, I am running out of patience with one-size-fits-all game content. Many games start out so easy that they are not challenging at all and then try to compensate for that fact by tacking on some ridiculously unfair mode so that they can claim that they have something for everything. Torchlight 2 lets me adjust my difficulty on the fly so I am always hitting my sweet spot.

####6: Fluid Gameplay: Good Enough I Barely Notice It###
    Targeting and skill queuing in beta were rough. Sometimes I felt like I was wrestling against the UI more than the individual monsters. These has been improved so much that I often find myself forgetting about gameplay and the UI altogether and just focus on the game as I play. I think that a game has arrived when the gameplay is so smooth and transparent that it ceases to be visible. While I still have occasional issues, I think Torchlight 2 is approaching that point.

####7: Unobtrusive Lore: Perfect for Multiple Playthroughs###
    ARPGs are designed to be played through multiple times. Cut scenes and forced dialog may be great the first time, but they are eventually just a test in how fast I can hit the excape button. Torchlight 2 does lore right. It is there if I want it, but I can mainly ignore it if I want to also. This is great, because I don't want to listen to the same dialog fifty times. It is there when I want it, which is perfect.

####8: In and Out Multiplayer: A Seamless Experience###
    I haven
  31. Sep 20, 2012
    (Sorry for my bad english)
    (Sorry for my bad english)
    The real spiritual successor of the Diablo saga. If you can see through the cartoon graphics you can see a deep game with an amazing gameplay that includes everything that Diablo III should had. Maybe the main campaign can look a little short but in two weeks we'll have the TorchED, the Mod Tool that will work with the Steam Workshop, that will bring a long life to the game. Hail to the new ARPG King!
  32. Sep 20, 2012
    Great game, the classes are unique, the music is very good, sounding like the original Diablo music. The combat has some cool things about it too, for instance there are hand cannons and shot guns that actually do ranged AoE damage, and if you're dual wielding you have a chance to strike with both weapons at once. It's a must buy for any fan of Diablo, and it's a bargain at only $20. ItGreat game, the classes are unique, the music is very good, sounding like the original Diablo music. The combat has some cool things about it too, for instance there are hand cannons and shot guns that actually do ranged AoE damage, and if you're dual wielding you have a chance to strike with both weapons at once. It's a must buy for any fan of Diablo, and it's a bargain at only $20. It has multiplayer, lan or internet, more modding capabilities, a lot of pets to choose from. Expand
  33. Sep 20, 2012
    I know it's a little quick to judge but this game is perfect. It fixes the biggest problems I had with D3. One, there's actual character building with skill points and attributes. Second, you can find gear that's an improvement. In D3 i never got excited over an item, ever. But in torchlight I find one after another better armor piece. Don't get the idea that this makes your characterI know it's a little quick to judge but this game is perfect. It fixes the biggest problems I had with D3. One, there's actual character building with skill points and attributes. Second, you can find gear that's an improvement. In D3 i never got excited over an item, ever. But in torchlight I find one after another better armor piece. Don't get the idea that this makes your character overpowered, because it doesn't: the pacing keeps a gear check. The game play is great and the graphics are wonderful. If cartoon isn't your style then your sol. If you don't like something about the game you can mod it. (THIS DOES NOT MEAN HACKS). Runic games plan to release software to help the modding community. This hasn't been done in many large games like torchlight. So I'm excited to see where this goes. All of this is only 20$. Please check this game out it is worth it no doubt. Expand
  34. Sep 20, 2012
    Amazing game. This is how Diablo 3 should have been. Torchlight II trash Diablo 3 down to the stone age. This is what happen when gamers and talented devs make an ARPG instead of Wall-street(Activision-Blizzard)

35. Sep 20, 2012
    Keep this short and simple. Game is quite fluid and for a game worth 20$ you would really feel that this game is worth more than the price. You would feel all the love the developers put into making this game. If you're out looking for a good time then this game is for you
  36. Sep 20, 2012
    Diablo 3 wasn't Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 is Diablo 3, made by the original Diablo team. Diablo 3 was an experiment by a company who owned the IP and were cashing in on its name. Torchlight 2 is real game, and a damn good one. Even the original Diablo composer is back with his moody sombre soundtrack. One can only dream of what Runic would have accomplished if they owned their baby. AsDiablo 3 wasn't Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 is Diablo 3, made by the original Diablo team. Diablo 3 was an experiment by a company who owned the IP and were cashing in on its name. Torchlight 2 is real game, and a damn good one. Even the original Diablo composer is back with his moody sombre soundtrack. One can only dream of what Runic would have accomplished if they owned their baby. As it is, we get Torchlight 2, and lemme tell ya. . . It rocks. Expand
  37. Sep 20, 2012
    Torchlight 2, like its predecessor, is a Diablo 3 clone. There's no significant innovation from TL1 or D3 that makes this game stand out. You're probably wondering why TL2 has been getting glowing reviews. Well, it's quite simple, it's addicting. The game mechanic itself is addicting. It's as simple as that.

What TL2 does so well is it was able to address what the fans want. Runic took

What TL2 does so well is it was able to address what the fans want. Runic took the customer-centric approach in designing this game and it paid off. LAN support, multiplayer support, a $20 price tag and a level editor collaboratively makes this game shine.

I gave this game a 10 not because of the graphics (pretty but not great) but because its addicting and I know I will be playing this game for months. than If you buy this game, I'm pretty sure most of you will also.
  38. Sep 20, 2012
    This is a very great game. I love the gameplay, it really feels like diablo 2. Multiplayer is even better than diablo 2. Lots of contents ( quests, monsters,...). It's a very great deal for 20$.
  39. Sep 20, 2012
    Siffy

1) Runic is made up of less than 40 people 2) Runic is friends with the people that made D3(Blizzard) 3) certain people did get the game early, such as game review sites and popular youtubers. 1 of my subscriptions started a torchlight 2 playthough before the game actually came out (hasn't shown anything past act 1 yet.) Your arguement is completely invalid and stupid. it did
    Siffy

1) Runic is made up of less than 40 people
    2) Runic is friends with the people that made D3(Blizzard)
    3) certain people did get the game early, such as game review sites and popular youtubers. 1 of my subscriptions started a torchlight 2 playthough before the game actually came out (hasn't shown anything past act 1 yet.) Your arguement is completely invalid and stupid. it did give me a good laugh though. I havent played through much of it yet but i think what ive played through is very good, so ill rate it a 10 to compensate for your stupidity.
  40. Sep 20, 2012
    LOVE IT! Worth it since its only $20!! Don't bother reading all the other negative reviews, there just a bunch of trolls who are mad that torchlight 2 is better then Diablo 3 in every way.
  41. Sep 20, 2012
    The best action RPG since Diablo 2! Made by the original developers of Diablo. This game is fantastic. Great loot tables, skill trees, attribute points, customization, fantastic music, and best of all.....OFFLINE MODE. Runic knows how to make good games and how to listen to its fan base. Torchlight 2 is obviously made by gamers who love gaming. Buy it, play it, love it.
  42. Sep 20, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is an excellent game, well worth your money and time. I really cannot say enough good things about this game. The user interface is very clean, easy to read, and aesthetically pleasing to me. The graphics aren't cutting edge, but are very tastefully done, with a lot of charm and character. Performance is great and the game runs very smooth on my modest desktop. There is a TONTorchlight 2 is an excellent game, well worth your money and time. I really cannot say enough good things about this game. The user interface is very clean, easy to read, and aesthetically pleasing to me. The graphics aren't cutting edge, but are very tastefully done, with a lot of charm and character. Performance is great and the game runs very smooth on my modest desktop. There is a TON of loot, but not just any loot: GOOD loot; meaning that there is a good mixture of hefty decisions on what to use. The different weapon types all have their own feel to them. Everything feels "just right". Everything feels different and the "crunch" is there when killing monsters. The combat is perfect. I have never been more satisfied with combat. This game captures that perfect feeling you get when destroying things. It's awesome. The skill trees are much better done here than in the first Torchlight game, in my opinion. I haven't seen one skill shared between any of the 4 classes. There are plenty of skills to choose from when levelling up, and there are plenty of builds you can have in each class. It gives the player the freedom to have unconventional builds, and gives them plenty of tough choices without being overwhelming. Runic absolutely nailed it. Variety is handed out to the player like candy. There are a lot of different monster types, tons of new areas, both the overworld and dungeons, and a lot of armor and weapon models. The story is a little on the weak side, but the pacing is spot on. It picks up where the first Torchlight left off, and while weak, is more than adequate to give purpose on why you're making baddies go splat. You are not locked into the easier difficulty settings when starting a new character. If you want to start off on the hardest difficulty, you can. There is offline singleplayer, you can host or join internet games as well as lan games. I can honestly say that there is nothing about this game that irks me. It's the ARPG I feel most people have been waiting to get their hands on for what seems like an eternity. All of this at a price point that is unbelievable to me. I could go on and on. This game is an incredible value. Pick this up, you will not regret it one bit. Expand
  43. Sep 20, 2012
    Wow, that's all I can say. This game just feels so right! From the art style to combat mechanics this game is 10/10. When it comes down to the $20 price point you can't go wrong with Torchlight 2!
  44. Sep 20, 2012
    This game was definitely well worth the wait. And its only $20! So much content packed into this extremely polished ARPG. Choose from four unique classes each with 3 distinct skill trees. Enjoy fast paced action and rewarding loot collection. And most importantly, play online, over lan or offline single player! Fantastic game.
  45. Sep 20, 2012
    I had a lot of fun playing this the whole night today, when it released at 7pm my time. The embermage is cool, the combat meaty and the loot just awesome. You also find a complete set pretty quick at the beginning, there is a starter set that you are supposed to have. I think thats kinda neat, more set parts do drop later, but at a much rarer rate. I do recommend that you play on VeteranI had a lot of fun playing this the whole night today, when it released at 7pm my time. The embermage is cool, the combat meaty and the loot just awesome. You also find a complete set pretty quick at the beginning, there is a starter set that you are supposed to have. I think thats kinda neat, more set parts do drop later, but at a much rarer rate. I do recommend that you play on Veteran or Elite though if you are a Hack and Slash Player. If you only want to enjoy a game without any difficulty, normal is your way to go. Expand
  46. Sep 20, 2012
    This game is just amazing. All I was hoping for D3 to be. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is the very colorful and cartoonish graphics style. But at the end it's a wonderful world with much at least as much sense to details as D3. So only a matter of taste and not of quality.

So at least for me at the moment pretty much the most perfect arpg on the market. And if some shortcomings should rise in the the future, I'm sure the modding community will handle it :)

If you like PLAYING arpgs then consider to buy it. More than enough value for 20 bucks ....
  47. Sep 20, 2012
    TL2 is AWESOME, addictive, clicktastic brain candy. It's 20 bucks! 20 bucks!!! Moddable? Aye! Single player, online multiplayer, LAN multiplayer? Yes, yes, and... yes. Fast action. Check. Regular leveling. Ditto. Huge world to explore? Yessir. Butt tons of enemies to smash, slice, incinerate, dissolve, electrocute, freeze, shatter, and explode, with a nice melange ofTL2 is AWESOME, addictive, clicktastic brain candy. It's 20 bucks! 20 bucks!!! Moddable? Aye! Single player, online multiplayer, LAN multiplayer? Yes, yes, and... yes. Fast action. Check. Regular leveling. Ditto. Huge world to explore? Yessir. Butt tons of enemies to smash, slice, incinerate, dissolve, electrocute, freeze, shatter, and explode, with a nice melange of mini-bosses and bigger bosses to keep things interesting. Huge kudos to Runic Games. True talent, polished game, super fun. We can tell you guys care about your playerbase... GO PLAY IT RIGHT NOW! :) Expand
  48. Sep 20, 2012
    Beautiful. Polish. Soundtrack can feel very rich and satisfying. If this game was a girl, it'd be the short, cute girl with expressive eyes, who plays the violin professionally and you met through a friend, and you end up dating and married, and spend the rest of your life together. :x
  49. Sep 20, 2012
    For $20 (or even $15)? 10/10. Don't be fooled by the visuals. Torchlight 2 is sinister and dark, even more so than its predecessor. There are lots of loots, there are gibs, there are colourful flashes of explosions, there are mods, and there's offline single player and LAN. Compared with other $20 games (even map packs cost more!), this game is certainly very high up the list in the bangFor $20 (or even $15)? 10/10. Don't be fooled by the visuals. Torchlight 2 is sinister and dark, even more so than its predecessor. There are lots of loots, there are gibs, there are colourful flashes of explosions, there are mods, and there's offline single player and LAN. Compared with other $20 games (even map packs cost more!), this game is certainly very high up the list in the bang for the buck department. If you're not convinced with the hype, there's a demo you can try. In any case, BUY IT NAO. Expand
  50. Sep 21, 2012
    This game really defines what I'd been waiting for in a ARPG since the days of (sorry, I have to say it) Diablo II. Great, detailed and rich world, awesome soundtrack and exquisite gameplay. Watching mobs explode as you attack is as satisfying as it can get. Even if the loot mechanics are a little overwhelming, this game is still, as of yet, the last bastion of PC Gaming's ARPGs.
  51. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the ARPG of 2012. Torchlight 2 has vastly improved over everything that was in Torchlight 1, With the mod tools, online and offline play, and an evolving world, the game is begging to be replayed over and over again. For $20, you cannot find a better ARPG.
  52. Sep 21, 2012
    Just awesome. I do not know how to express my satisfaction. It was first time in a LONG time that when i play a game my eyebrows go SO HIGH! I was surprised in a good way and every part so far is just fantastic.
  53. Sep 21, 2012
    Phenomenal. Gamers have been waiting for a game exactly like this for faaaar too long. Where Diablo 3 poured water on all of our inner Action-RPG flame, Torchlight II sparked a fire that will spread like a forest fire and burn like the sun in the hearts of passionate Ex-Diablo gamers for many suns, and many moons. All hail Torchlight II and the heaven-sent guys (and gals) at Runic whoPhenomenal. Gamers have been waiting for a game exactly like this for faaaar too long. Where Diablo 3 poured water on all of our inner Action-RPG flame, Torchlight II sparked a fire that will spread like a forest fire and burn like the sun in the hearts of passionate Ex-Diablo gamers for many suns, and many moons. All hail Torchlight II and the heaven-sent guys (and gals) at Runic who created it. Fanboy-ism aside, truely this team knows how to create a magic even Blizzard is blind to these days. Diablo II may have finally, AT LAST ~ met it's maker... Expand
  54. Sep 21, 2012
    This game is fabolous. Perfect hack&slash arpg. Not really really open world like skyrim but it is very good compared to TL and definetely ten times better than diablo 3. I think it is a killer!

@Rainfall: Beta was a beta, nothing is lost and the game does not crash for me. No crash after already 10 hours gameplay.
  55. Sep 21, 2012
    Best ARPG in years, no doubt about it ! The game is fast, smooth an very fun to play. It has all the classic elements that Diablo set in stone and a lot more. Plenty of character customisation. Great loot diversity. Fast paced action. Big and engaging world. True randomised levels and so on and all of this just for
    20 bucks. There's really no reason not to try it. You won't regret it !
  56. Sep 21, 2012
    Awesome awesome game from Runic. Everything that D3 could have been but never was. I would have given it 9.5 out of 10, because no game is perfect. But I can't give halves on Metacritic and TL2 doesn't deserve only 9/10 so I had to give it 10/10.

There were some launch issues, but those were resolved within 24 hours by the dedicated team from Runic Games! Even with the launch issues I was still able to play single-player and LAN perfectly.

The guys from Runic Games deserve all the support they can get. They are just the nicest people you will ever find developing games! They listen to what their customers say, and actually play the game and change it until it is fun!

The result is a 10/10 TL2, and the best thing is you can get it for only $20.
  57. Sep 21, 2012
    Nothing to say but this: This game is what Diablo III should have shown into public instead of RMAH centric slot machine loot system. It brought back the actual 'Fun' factor with fast pace combat, not so easy difficulty, load of loots, interesting skill system and combat mechanics. Graphics wise, it cannot be matched to multi-hundred-million budget games but keeping up par with cartoon-ishNothing to say but this: This game is what Diablo III should have shown into public instead of RMAH centric slot machine loot system. It brought back the actual 'Fun' factor with fast pace combat, not so easy difficulty, load of loots, interesting skill system and combat mechanics. Graphics wise, it cannot be matched to multi-hundred-million budget games but keeping up par with cartoon-ish art. In short, Runic Games was able to match the hype. Of course, you can get everything with $20!!! One more thing: you can actually customize your character, which is actually 'first' in ARPG genre. Expand
  58. Sep 21, 2012
    The best game in 2012, it's amazing that this game is only 20$ and give me more happiness than Diablo 3. Sorry, I can't even compare with Diablo 3, its unfair, this game is more great in 1 hour than Diablo 3 in 60 hours. OMG, i cant wait to play this game today.
    The characters is great, the power and magic is great, the itens area great(sword, shotgun, pistol, etc)

I LOVE THIS GAME
  59. Sep 21, 2012
    Fast paced, builds, gear, hell my first item drop was an upgrade. Fast leveling, amazing run speed and skills. About a billion times more fun and entertaining than any other arpg. Start on veteran! Far more challenging
  60. Sep 21, 2012
    BEST GAME EVER 10/10, just because this game makes one thing that D... III didn't make after sometime: FUN!

Seriously, this is a pretty awesome game, and for 20 bucks it's worth it!
  61. Sep 21, 2012
    Amazing game, i cant stop play it. Absolutly better then Diablo 3. I hope Torchlight 2 will be a "second diablo 2". And i create account on metacritic special for write this. Just love that game :)
  62. Sep 21, 2012
    Wow, game has surpassed my expectations, proper rpg, don't waste your money on D3 like I did,
    this game was made for gamers.
    -RANDOM WORLD
    -LOOT, LOOT ,LOOT.
    -NO DRM
    -OFFLINE so hardcore here I come.
  63. Sep 21, 2012
    In fact I wasn't impatinently awaiting Torchlight 2 realese. Screenshots where not attractive to me at all but I gave it a chance as I was hoping the game to deliver and focus on fun factor... and it does excell at it. When I started the game I realized suddenly that everything is on a right place. The world looks beautiful in motion and completly sucks in! It's colorful and dynamic.In fact I wasn't impatinently awaiting Torchlight 2 realese. Screenshots where not attractive to me at all but I gave it a chance as I was hoping the game to deliver and focus on fun factor... and it does excell at it. When I started the game I realized suddenly that everything is on a right place. The world looks beautiful in motion and completly sucks in! It's colorful and dynamic. Graphics may look crapy on a screenshot but after playing the game I appreciate it as it just fits in and contributes to the unique athmosphere of the game. Music, fast paced combat, great items, world rich in events complete the masterpiece. Playing a game is fun again! It's not going to be boring farming anymore as end game may focus on mods created by players. ULTIMATE FUN!!! Expand
  64. Sep 21, 2012
    One of the games you can't really comment on ... Why? Everything about Torchlight II is great, so no need to name things. With modding and coop added, it will be fun for years to come. And I mean real fun, not the mindless utterly boring paradoxical linear grind like in D3.
  65. Sep 21, 2012
    Je rejoins les avis positifs sur le jeu (pas comme ce Chocapic de Gamekult qui nous a pondu un torchon pro D3 honteux), après 6h de jeu hier soir en mode élite, une dizaine de fois mort, et le Général Grell de vaincu, (quel combat ^^) (oué 6h pour arriver là c bcp mais j'aime prendre mon temps et tout explorer jusqu'au dernier recoin de la carteJe rejoins les avis positifs sur le jeu (pas comme ce Chocapic de Gamekult qui nous a pondu un torchon pro D3 honteux), après 6h de jeu hier soir en mode élite, une dizaine de fois mort, et le Général Grell de vaincu, (quel combat ^^) (oué 6h pour arriver là c bcp mais j'aime prendre mon temps et tout explorer jusqu'au dernier recoin de la carte ^^), il était 3h du mat quand mon engineer à pris son niveau 14, je n'ai pas vu le temps passé, signe de réussite à mon avis de la part de Runic.

Hâte de retourner sur le jeu, les loots sont cohérents (hein Blizzard), plusieurs items de set récupérés (dont un en péchant ^^), 1 set complet (le Runemaster), 2 uniques pour mon perso et moultes bleus, un phase portal, et un parchemin pour faire apparaitre le vendeur de set (pas encore activé) je suis comblé :)

Les différents boss rencontrés (ainsi que pas mal de pack) offrent vraiment un vrai challenge avec ce mode de difficultés, juste un regret sur le faite que les popos soient spammables à volontés.

En switchant entre gros canon et armes 2H l'engineer est vraiment plaisant à jouer, quel pied !
  66. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 sharpens the hack-and-slash genre to a fine point that sticks right in the greedy eyeball of Blizzard execs. A truly fun and addictive game. Good graphics, great soundtrack, original atmosphere -- once you get the game you'll only wish you had more time to play it. This game is on par in almost every respect with Diablo 3 and is 1/3 the cost. Vote with your wallets, folks.
  67. Sep 21, 2012
    A true loveletter to gamers and fans everywhere. There are no words to describe what an amazing achievement runic has here. Immensely satisfying to play, insanely addictive due to a superb loot system, actual randomised worlds and baby buttocks smooth gameplay. This 20 bucks work of art is polished to a mirrorshine and is without a doubt the new norm for ARPGs all around. Truly doesn'tA true loveletter to gamers and fans everywhere. There are no words to describe what an amazing achievement runic has here. Immensely satisfying to play, insanely addictive due to a superb loot system, actual randomised worlds and baby buttocks smooth gameplay. This 20 bucks work of art is polished to a mirrorshine and is without a doubt the new norm for ARPGs all around. Truly doesn't fail to bring back the glorious feeling of yorn ! And you can even experience that in proper single-player or in a LAN, the way it should be. Blizzard, take note. Expand
  68. Sep 21, 2012
    Now this is how a dungeon crawler ARPG should be HANDS DOWN. It is everything that D3 should of been but is not.

It's a well polished game where the loot is actually viable to use. You are not just selling everything to the vendor but you find stuff that you can use and come up with different combinations for your characters like maybe an embermage that carries a gun and a shield or a traditional weapon like a staff or even two wands. Simple put: the itemization in the game is enormous! There are skill trees available that offer numerous different builds. For example, I started with an embermage and went all +Ice damage. But then I added some fire gear and spells and now I have a completely unique spell build that just makes me want to create another embermage to try out different combinations.

As far as the D3 comparisons go, this is what D3 should of been. It makes me wonder what this team could of done if the Diablo IP was still under their control. It's a shame on Blizzard.

Nevertheless the only thing that I am not a big fan of is the art work and bright colour scheme of the game. At first it wasn't my cup of tea per say but it actually does work well for the style of story they are presenting the customers/gamers.

It's extremely well done. The game only costs 20 bucks. There is no Auction House or Real Money Auction House. It is the standard for an ARPG and what a game should be.

Don't listen to the negative reviews. Honestly, don't. They are just hurt Blizzard employees or fan boys that are putting the game down. The number of positive reviews speaks for itself. Excellent job Runic Games! Excellent Job!!
  69. Sep 21, 2012
    Easily my game of the year. I have waited 2 years for this, stalking the website for it to finally come out, and 10 hours in, it had not dissapointed me once. Theres TONS of content here for 20 dollars, all completely polished. On top of that, anything you don't like in the game, you can just change with mods. It's pretty close to the peak of the genre. If you are a fan of hack and slashEasily my game of the year. I have waited 2 years for this, stalking the website for it to finally come out, and 10 hours in, it had not dissapointed me once. Theres TONS of content here for 20 dollars, all completely polished. On top of that, anything you don't like in the game, you can just change with mods. It's pretty close to the peak of the genre. If you are a fan of hack and slash dungeon crawlers, this is the best one since Diablo 2. Expand
  70. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 is far and beyond a better game/value then Diablo 3. You can mod it, you don't have to have an internet connection, and now Torchlight 2 has multiplayer! All for 20$
  71. Sep 21, 2012
    At least it is better in every way from the original and even better than that of D3. Each class has various different paths it can go because the skills allow for various types of builds. ie. Dual Wield or 2 Handed weapons or fist weapons etc. even some skills are for specific magic elements to increase the damage of ice, lightning etc and to increase their effectiveness. The greatestAt least it is better in every way from the original and even better than that of D3. Each class has various different paths it can go because the skills allow for various types of builds. ie. Dual Wield or 2 Handed weapons or fist weapons etc. even some skills are for specific magic elements to increase the damage of ice, lightning etc and to increase their effectiveness. The greatest part is how random each game is and how each play through will be different from the last. Making this the most valuable game in a long time. What's more is once the Torchlight 2 editor drops then there will be a ton more content to be had especially if it is anywhere close to the original. Graphics are very stylized but amazing and fun to watch. The animation is really good as well. This is by far one of the most addictive action RPGs in a long time, since D2 or even the first Torchlight. Expand
  72. Sep 21, 2012
    Simply a awesome game I love it.
    i already lost 10 hours in the game.
    Runic Games as made for me the best A-RPG of history, since Diablo II.
    By far,one of the best games of the year.
  73. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the best dungeon crawler game ever. As much as I like the first Torchlight, this one is a great sequel. I've been waiting for this game since it was first revealed. It's much better than Diablo 3. Stop hating this game just because your save game was deleted for the beta. It was a beta release not the final release. Stop whining and buy the game.
  74. Sep 21, 2012
    I've had more fun playing this game the last two hours than I have the 300+ hours I've put into Diablo III. This game just does about everything right that Diablo III did wrong/ruined. It was quite the joyful experience being able to allocate my skill points as I pleased when I leveled up. For the first time in a long time, I had a smile on my face when playing an action RPG as opposed toI've had more fun playing this game the last two hours than I have the 300+ hours I've put into Diablo III. This game just does about everything right that Diablo III did wrong/ruined. It was quite the joyful experience being able to allocate my skill points as I pleased when I leveled up. For the first time in a long time, I had a smile on my face when playing an action RPG as opposed to Diablo III which really feels more like work and a timesink and I only smiled during the cinematics. Best of all, at 20 bucks this game is an absolute steal! AND Runic has promised not to charge for content updates :) Expand
  75. Sep 21, 2012
    Made by the folks who know how to make ARPGs (D1 & D2) Torchlight 2 is the living successor to these games (unlike one which shares the same name). It keeps to the tradition of action role playing games and absolutely delivers. If you are looking for an ARPG that has a loot and game play system derived on fun rather than a real money auction house, this is the game for you.
  76. Sep 21, 2012
    Tons of content, fun rewarding loot system, fun character and skill design and a wealth of secrets and explorable content all for $20 great work runic!
  77. Sep 21, 2012
    This is how sequels should be made, bigger, better, more fun to play, pay attention actizzard...
    The game is improved in EVER aspect that needed improving and beyond.
    The biggest and best things I have managed to spot so far: - no always on drm (see actizzard? it CAN be done) - LAN play! - multiplayer available - no rubberbanding, lag etc.! - no stuttering, performance issues etc.
    The game is improved in EVER aspect that needed improving and beyond.
    The biggest and best things I have managed to spot so far:
    - no always on drm (see actizzard? it CAN be done)
    - LAN play!
    - multiplayer available
    - no rubberbanding, lag etc.!
    - no stuttering, performance issues etc. (learn from this actizzard)
    - nice looking graphics, improved from previous, a player gets a clear picture of the battlefield, i know what im attacking, no mess or confusion even in the midst of battle, unlike d3 where at certain point you would lose yourself,
    - pets! means no need to teleport back to the city to sell junk/get pots etc., unlike d3
    - 4 distinct, fun to play characters,
    - talents and stat point that YOU CAN distribute as you please, unlike in d3 where they take you for an idiot, thus you end up with a ton of cool, personal builds and approaches
    - true RANDOM maps, unlike in d3 where its just a PR BS
    - tons of loot that is actually usefull and an improvement, unlike d3 where they force you to buy from rmah
    - great music, very good sounds
    - excellent gameplay, fun to kill mobs, get loot, develop your character, quite fast leveling up make you enjoy they playthrouh
    - you can set the difficulty level from the beginning unlike d3 where i had to go through extremely easy normal, nightmare, hell to get to somewhere with challange only to go against OP mobs with ridiculous skills
    - cool mobs to fight, nice boss fights, oh and the game is actually challanging unlike d3...
    - no pony level for emo children
    - loot customization, gems, enchants, unidentified gear vendor etc.
    - short load times
    - everything work smooth, no glitches, well polished product
    - runic games delivers what was promised!
    - replay value!
    - low cost (20$ or even less) !!!
    - free soundtrack !
    - devs that listen to people
    - complex yet easily accessible game
    - noob friendly
    - hardcore mode that you can play offline, no more lag fails!!!
    - true Diablo 2 successor in the spiritual sense
    - 6 players online support
    - 3 skill trees for each character that 12 reason to go through the game at least !
    - Mod support ! which will make the game more lasting, - so much more i have missed...

To sum up, its an amazing game, absolute 10/10, the negative comments are from stupid people who fail at installing a game, setting up a normal working PC, or simply suffer from hardware compatibility issues which runic games cannot be responsible for.

INSTANT BUY for any arpg, h&s game fan :)
  78. Sep 21, 2012
    I'm not a huge fan of hack and slash RPGs, but i played Titan Quest and Diablo III. Torchlight II is so good, addictive game. It will become classic game.
  79. Sep 21, 2012
    The progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make anotherThe progression of loot in this game is fantastic and blowing me away. By level 10 I was already completing a useful 3 piece set bonus, had a unique weapon that gained augments by killing spiders, and had actual unique useful items. Your characters can all be unique, even if they are the same class. I already made a hunter focused berserker, and now I can't wait to re-make another berserker to focus in the ice damage tree. Your decisions also hold weight, if you end up with a terrible build then you definitely won't be surviving in the harder difficulties. I love the fact that I can't just re-spec and be fine and dandy again. I feel more driven to have my character succeed because it was my own unique build and unique attributed stats, so my characters feel more personal. Pet system = amazing
    As many others have mentioned, the soundtrack is fantastic and the visuals look great. The fact that this game is only $20 makes me feel like I'm robbing Runic of such a great piece of work. Any hack n' slash fan will enjoy this game immensely.
  80. Sep 21, 2012
    This is truly a wonderful game. I am actually having fun playing this versus the endless grind and rigid, ultra simplistic game that is D3. Ton's of content and a true skill point system with none of the DRM Crap and RMAH. Thanks Runic for providing a game versus a new way to monetize gaming.
  81. Sep 21, 2012
    The game Diablo 3 should have been. Saw some Blizz **** drinking fanbois complaining about "bad interface" and "clunky combat". Don't know what they're on about. Must be too stupid to figure out the game. Granted, they are Blizztards.
  82. Sep 21, 2012
    This game brings back the key components of classic ARPGs and gives them a good polish. The combat is fast-paced, heavy, and seamless. Character customization and the loot mechanics are also very well done. Coupled with the ability to support mods, this game is gearing up to be one of the most versatile games of this generation.
  83. Sep 21, 2012
    This game makes efforts at improving a genre which was in a bit of a lull. Playing the beta really excited me because of the nostalgic feel of ARPGs and obvious features that made classic ARPGs a hit. Torchlight 2 did not stop at the beta like some of these reviews suggest. I doubt they have played the new release or the beta for that matter. This game is fun, engaging, andThis game makes efforts at improving a genre which was in a bit of a lull. Playing the beta really excited me because of the nostalgic feel of ARPGs and obvious features that made classic ARPGs a hit. Torchlight 2 did not stop at the beta like some of these reviews suggest. I doubt they have played the new release or the beta for that matter. This game is fun, engaging, and challenging. Equipment is almost a limitless toolbox of tweaks for your character, and skill building provides its own enjoyment with skill tiers and multiple skill trees. Choose your skills, choose your equipment, and basically equip anything you'd like provided you have the stats. How amazing is that? The multiplayer in beta was awesome, and once it is available on the official release I know the game will be a favorite with my friends and local LAN. Very few games give the features and availability to play on slower systems. Torchlight remains stylishly impressive as far as visuals are concerned while maintaining support for older and underpowered PCs. $20? Massive compatibility for smooth game-play? LAN? These options and the options I have listed with respect to character progression are all reasons I give this game perfect marks. Expand
  84. Sep 21, 2012
    Uninstall D3, this is the game you want to play. Incredible features, intuitive, awesome loot drops that are usable at the level you ARE instead of 20 levels below (which makes you feel powerful). The music score is awesome and atmospheric. This game is about the player, and having fun, and is not burdened by a childishly simple, boring, and depressing storyline that kills everythingUninstall D3, this is the game you want to play. Incredible features, intuitive, awesome loot drops that are usable at the level you ARE instead of 20 levels below (which makes you feel powerful). The music score is awesome and atmospheric. This game is about the player, and having fun, and is not burdened by a childishly simple, boring, and depressing storyline that kills everything likable (like D3; I got to level 39 and just couldn't play anymore because the story is so bad I just couldn't bear to go through it all again). Blizzard makes you use their AH and designed the game around the AH instead of the player. The only point that Blizzard surpassed T2 is in the graphics (I also prefer the darker tone). I amazed that the developers got this so right, when Blizzard fumbled SO bad, in 1/6 the development time (2 years vs 12). Blizzard should hire these guys back to make the XP for D3. Expand
  85. Sep 21, 2012
    I'm just a simple factory worker guy, I play games as my escape, I'm sure you do too.

This game has done a lot for me. It has restored my faith in the game developer, it has provided entertainment, and it has provided a chance for some 'good times' with friends. If I could put it more simply, I'd say this is a D3 killer, but no one would believe me. I agree, people will view this

I agree, people will view this game harshly simply because they are obsessed with a specific franchise or brand. Please keep that in mind.

If you are looking for something that's fun, this is it. 4 pack this puppy and play with friends. Gift giving season is coming!
  86. Sep 21, 2012
    Torchlight 2 has finally arrived and we can put the Torchlight 2 versus Diablo 3 debate to rest... The verdict? Torchlight 2 wins hands-down!

Torchlight 2 is wonderful and deserves much praise, especially for only costing $20. One would expect Diablo 3 to be three times the game as Torchlight 2 for the asking price but that isn't the case, at all. If anything, Diablo 3 could learn quite a bit from Torchlight 2 (such as the awesome loot progression, offline play availability, LAN and mod support).

Torchlight 2 has been an entirely bug-free experience for me thus far (unlike Diablo 3's launch-- which was one of the worst I've ever experienced despite probably having one-thousand times the budget of Torchlight 2) and the game plays amazingly smooth. The battles can be epic (unlike Diablo 3's battles which usually amounted to rock, paper, scissors excercises of frustration depending on RNG) and choices actually matter.

If I had to make a complaint, I'd say Torchlight 2's story is fairly weak (Diablo 3's was as well-- laughably so, actually). About the only thing I can imagine that Diablo 3 has over Torchlight 2 that I noticed was the destructible environments. The art style is kind of a matter of preference I've found. I personally like Torchlight 2's style but can understand if some people don't (probably the same people who would willing bypass a great game like Borderlands 2 because it doesn't look like Battlefield 3-- aka, "their loss").

I would fully recommend Torchlight 2 to anyone that loves ARPG's and even if you're kind of on the edge or not sure if you'd like them or not, Torchlight 2 is probably the best, contemporary example of how one should be.
  87. Sep 21, 2012
    A fabulous game made by (as said by Jay Wilson of Diablo3 / blizzard) a loser who made Diablo 1 and 2. Thanks you Runic games it's how a hack n slash must be. Not like that Big failure named Diablo 3. Hey Jay Wilson just phone Runic game for learning how to make a good hack n slash thanks.
  88. Sep 21, 2012
    With all the new things added, this is a very worthy sequel to Torchlight and the true spiritual successor of Diablo. Nothing beats charging the Charge Bar, killing a Boss with it and swimming in its loot afterwards.
  89. Sep 21, 2012
    The ARPG is alive and well with Runic games. They understand what fans of the genre want. They aren't hell bent on draining their customer's pockets dry. During the TL2 development process I was kept aware of all the bells and whistles that were going to be in the game. I kept a level head because I knew that based on that other game that came out in May, that promises aren't alwaysThe ARPG is alive and well with Runic games. They understand what fans of the genre want. They aren't hell bent on draining their customer's pockets dry. During the TL2 development process I was kept aware of all the bells and whistles that were going to be in the game. I kept a level head because I knew that based on that other game that came out in May, that promises aren't always kept. Needless to say I was quite pleased with the final product. It's everything I was hoping for in an ARPG.

PROS: Customizable characters that don't feel like clones of other players
    A huge open world to explore
    A great music score
    Skill tress that actually offer usefull skills
    Character level cap at 100
    Local or online multiplayer
    $20 price tag

CONS:

I've experienced some choppy game play here and there but it could very well be my PC
    Normal mode tends to be too easy but if you've played TL1 then you know what to expect
    Only 4 classes
  90. Sep 21, 2012
    This is the quality dungeon crawler I was expecting from a certain other company..... T2 doesn't deviate too far from the sucessful recipe of the first. The scope of the missions and environments are broader and has a bit more polish. Well worth 20 bucks. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bypassed the whole Blizzard mess and stuck with Runic exclusively. It's a win.
  91. Sep 21, 2012
    It's just easy to say: That should have been in Diablo 3. All we loved in Diablo 2 is here in this game. Sure, graphics are more or less the same like in Torchlight 1, but who cares? Everybody, and i mean: Really everybody should be able to run this masterpiece. You don't need an hyper-pc to play, no. Runic made it playable for us all.

Just a quick summary: Runic aka ex Blizzard North:

Just a quick summary: Runic aka ex Blizzard North: You did all right! Sorry, can't write more - have to do some quests & hunting for better loot.
  92. Sep 21, 2012
    Loot that you can actually use. Offline mode. Writing that isn't so bad its painful and you wonder how the writer kept his job. Fun bosses. Replay value. A great price. Doesn't butcher the universe made by previous entries. It just washes the bad taste of that other game right out of your mouth.
  93. Sep 21, 2012
    Really wish I didn't waste my money on Diablo III; Blizzard is dead and this game shows exactly what an ARPG should be like. No AH/RMAH gives this game an actual reward for playing. To Blizzard: Screw you.
  94. Dec 28, 2012
    I can't really properly put down what this game makes me feel I'm just going to have to do my best but frankly, it's hard for me to really get into it at length because I start missing the game and wanting to go back to it, so this will be an emotional reaction review more than a technical one. I only have one major gripe with the game and that involves the story. It needs a bit moreI can't really properly put down what this game makes me feel I'm just going to have to do my best but frankly, it's hard for me to really get into it at length because I start missing the game and wanting to go back to it, so this will be an emotional reaction review more than a technical one. I only have one major gripe with the game and that involves the story. It needs a bit more warmth, there's some definite lore overload going on and while it's great to learn about this fantastic new world they've created, most of the characters lack personality and it feels like i'm talking to walking,talking encyclopedias/politicians at times.

That's it, though. Everything else...it's amazing.The best way I can compare my feelings about this game is by comparing it to how I felt playing Diablo III. This game in many ways is the total opposite of that game. Despite DIablo III having a flawed story, many of the characters had a surprising amount of personality. Diablo III has a lot of really amazing art yet in the areas where it really needed to look amazing, it doesn't, it falls flat. Torchlight II has that Don Bluth/Disney animation style-the game looks like Titan AE/Treasure Planet by way of Heavy Metal with some Rock & Rule tossed in for good measure-yet there are some areas where you can tell they stepped up their game and pulled out all the stops in order to blow you away with pure mood. Despite stuff being low poly everything fits and there are some set pieces that make me marvel at how they've managed to pull off so much randomization while managing to keep everything cohesive.

The skills and stats are accessible and fun. I'm in love with my berserker. I honestly haven't had this much fun playing a character in a very long time. I loved Diablo II, loved my necromancer but my femzerker blows him away. She's spunky, has a ton of attitude and it's crazy that you can throw together so many different combinations of skills (I've chosen skills based on the background story I came up with for her) and still have them work in elite.

So, back to the whole D3 thing, yeah, when D3 came out I discovered that I had been waiting for a sequel for years. Diablo II was a very special game to me. I discovered it the same year I first fell in love. As much as I tried to keep my expectations low, despite not getting the game because i know it wasnt going to be anything like what I had hoped it was going to be, it was stick shocking and jarring to play through the game after being given it as a gift.

I was depressed. I knew going in that it might let me down but it was just...sad, and it was sad because I could tell that it would have taken so very little for it to have been better than it was. As crushed as I was, as let down, as sad as I was...that's how happy i've been playing this game. I walked into Torchlight II with very lowered expectations. Despite having played beta and despite having a lot of faith in Runic, I was scared. I hope Runic can understand. I was scared to let myself really believe.

So when that first surprise challenge threw me into a section of map I couldn't get out of without poisoning a bunch of spider spawners that kept throwing hordes of baby spiders at me, causing me to have to run around while freaking out omg omg omg spiders! gotta kill em gotta kill em damn damn damn whats this? Oh! grab the potion, poison the spider pits, run back grab another one poison another pit damn damn so many fuuuuuuuuuuu ok ok got it got it finsh em off GOOD DOG! GO BOY! wooooo spectral hound, backin his buddy up YES YES F**K YOU, SPIDERS! whoa...ok, um, spider mom and dad just ate all the babies and disappeared...oooo k HOLY F**K MY SCREEN IS COVERED IN LOOT OMG.

Yeah. My jaw dropped and I actually started crying tears of joy. I realized then and there that it was ok, I could fall in love with this game and I have-and i'm only in act II. So much of the stuff people told them about in beta has been polished up. This game...this game might just be everything many of us are expecting it to be. While i'm sure it's not perfect (I did mention my thoughts about the writing-sorry JD), it gets it right so often, you won't care and when it does it right-again, which it does a lot-it does it so damn right.

This game is good. Really, really good. This game...is amazing. Thank you, Runic. Good job. Note-I wrote this just after the game was released. It's now three months later and while a lot of my initial excitement has gone down, the game is still fun and hasn't really gotten boring, I just have lots of new games that have captured my attention but I still play, and will continue to for a long time to come. -Zid
  95. Sep 22, 2012
    20 dollars for a game that will provide hundreds of hours of fun. Sounds like a good deal to me. They took everything that was great in D2 and Torchlight and added to it. If only D3 would have done this. Great job Runic! ignore other reviews saying "this game is too easy." I've been playing on ELITE with a berserker and it is very hard.
  96. Sep 22, 2012
    Torchlight 2 shows where the talent from Blizzard North really ended up. Graphics are clean and fluid. Gameplay is challenging and satisfying from the first hour and the loot hunt will keep you coming back. Torchlight 2 understands that the loot is the main focus of this genre and oh, have they delivered. Don't be a fool, buy this game now if you consider yourself a fan of ARPGs.
  97. Sep 22, 2012
    This game is why we love Runic.. (release day the servers were swamped and people flip out over nothing) It truly does Torchlight justice.. they took everything that was awesome and added the things all the fans asked for (coop/multi being one) making it what has to be the best game i purchased this year hands down. Runic shasres the love and not the greed for 20 bucks you simply cannotThis game is why we love Runic.. (release day the servers were swamped and people flip out over nothing) It truly does Torchlight justice.. they took everything that was awesome and added the things all the fans asked for (coop/multi being one) making it what has to be the best game i purchased this year hands down. Runic shasres the love and not the greed for 20 bucks you simply cannot beat it.
    TY Runic.. and to any fans of Torchlight or even Fate.. if you have'nt purchased it yet your missing an award winning rpg that has nailed it.
  98. Sep 22, 2012
    I've played every Blizzard title, and I'm very impressed with this small group of indie developers and some Ex-Blizz North employees. From the music to the levels, bosses and character customization a true gem and worth EVERY penny.
  99. Sep 22, 2012
    I recommend this game for everyone, who like hack and slash. There are not so many similar games, and only few are made with such love and quality. Pure action, tons of loot, good randomizer, amazing soundtrack, four different classes with several different builds, co-op, new game +... for 20$! If you are still reading this, instead of buying TL2, then you have no conscience or you justI recommend this game for everyone, who like hack and slash. There are not so many similar games, and only few are made with such love and quality. Pure action, tons of loot, good randomizer, amazing soundtrack, four different classes with several different builds, co-op, new game +... for 20$! If you are still reading this, instead of buying TL2, then you have no conscience or you just don't like ARPG. Expand
  100. Sep 22, 2012
    Top game. I give it a 10 because all those Blizzard fans, who think Blizzard still even cares to continue the Dialbo 1-2 ideology with Diablo 3, gave this game negative critics. This game has a lot of effort behind it, developers are genuine and they have considered a lot of stuff for us fans, not for their pocket like the guys at Blizzard. A game is only as good as its developers valueTop game. I give it a 10 because all those Blizzard fans, who think Blizzard still even cares to continue the Dialbo 1-2 ideology with Diablo 3, gave this game negative critics. This game has a lot of effort behind it, developers are genuine and they have considered a lot of stuff for us fans, not for their pocket like the guys at Blizzard. A game is only as good as its developers value their player base and TL series is certainly in this good categorie, opposite of money hungry Blizzard. If I had the money I would even buy 10-15 copies of this game and send them to my friends! I am an avid ARPG fan who has been playing RPGs for 10 years. Expand
  101. Sep 21, 2012

Just a quick summary: Runic aka ex Blizzard North:

Torchlight 2 offers everything an action RPG fan wants: a huge campaign, variety of enemies, a rich system of quality loot, well-balanced and fresh classes with different build options, care-free and fun multiplayer modes. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 13, 2012
    Sure, it might not reinvent the wheel as built by Diablo II over a decade ago, but Runic deserves props for perfectly recreating the formula. Many others have tried to bring their own take on Diablo to the market-and failed. Runic didn't, which makes Torchlight II an essential purchase for anyone who loves to crawl through dungeons while scoring phat loot.
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    A slick action RPG with wit and charm, this is a genuine alternative to Diablo III. [Christmas 2012, p.93]