8.2

1. Jul 28, 2013
    This RPG game is great! it has awesome music, fun classes, addictive gameplay, lots of cool items, plenty of multiplayer options (such as LAN, Offline mode, etc) an all that for only 20 bucks... a must have!
  2. Jun 5, 2013
    I love Titan Quest and I've been desperate to find a newer game like it that isn't Diablo 3. This game is fantastic in vanilla play. Add mods and the game can become whatever you want. I could put hundreds of hours into this game.
  3. Apr 8, 2013
    A very neat and wonderful game. If it just had a little bit more depth/variety, I'd give it a 10. But this focuses on what's most important; just playing a game and enjoying yourself.
  4. Apr 7, 2013
    For the price of admission, the game is definitely a decent product. It can get pretty repetitive unlike its competitors, but its competitors are considerably more expensive. The cartoon-ish type graphics are great as it makes this a game for all gamers, young/old, experienced/casual, etc. Although it is very similar to other action RPGs, it has its own identity. It seems somewhat short and more shallow than others like Diablo 3.

It won't keep you nearly as busy as others, but if you like Action RPGs or dungeon crawlers, this is a must buy.
  5. Feb 2, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of action RPGs, and this game is definitely the best one I've yet played. It has everything an RPG should have: three different classes, three different pets, tons of weapons,armor, and enemy types, and a magical overworld to top it all off. If you're a fan of Diablo or any other dungeon crawlers like it, pick this up for $15 on Steam. You're guaranteed a good time.
  6. Oct 11, 2012
    A game I really enjoyed, It has a lot of problems when it was release, but with the Mod community you can add it at less 10 hours more. I really think that this was a beta test for Torchlight 2( of course Runic are just 30 and they are a small company with no money when they did TL1) any way it was super fun
  7. Oct 8, 2012
    Highly addictive, straightforward game (just like Diablo).
    Cannot write a long review...
    Have to go kill some more monsters...
    Just a dozen more...
    I promise...
  8. Oct 8, 2012
    Very good game, well designed skill-trees. You get what you pay :) If you want a game to spend hours with fun. Play this game and support Runic Games.
  9. Sep 28, 2012
    First of, i'm not going to compare it to Diablo. No. I'll add to all the things that people have already said; The game is amazing! It is a perfect example to a game that has less graphics, but more GAMEPLAY and content! The online experience is everything that i wanted from TL1. The H&S is just what you would want from H&S game: "More please!". Simple... The game is rich in content and upgrades from the-already-great TL1 experience; More awesome skills, many quests and dungeons! All-in-all, You will find yourself spending a lot of hours on this one, trust me! Expand
  10. Sep 28, 2012
    This is the first dungeon crawler I have ever played. Definitely am in love with it. I think this game has made me into a dungeon crawler fanatic, in fact! It adheres to my OCD play style where I always have to check something and make sure I did it right. And it rewards me for it.
  11. Sep 27, 2012
    Torchlight is a watered down Diablo 2. If you have played Diablo 2 you will have no problem playing Torchlight. Since it is from the original Diablo 2 creators many of the names, abilities and skills are even called the same. I really liked the look of it, and it played great. It was good enough that I played through the game three times, once with each character class.
  12. Sep 25, 2012
    I love this game, It beated Diablo3 in any way. This is one of the reasons why we should support smaller developers and start ignoring the giant ones who just make games because of profit not because they love making good games.
  13. Sep 16, 2012
    10/10 for being from the original makers of d1 and d2
    and 10/10 for not being **** 3.

What more really needs to be said than, **** that loser diablo 3
  14. Jul 22, 2012
    This is a great game and I'm looking forward to playing Torchlight 2 when it comes out. If you like Diablo 2, you will love this game. Graphics are amazing and game is a lot of fun to play. I haven't purchased Diablo 3 yet and don't plan to unless they drop the price, but Torchlight 2 is definitely a game I will be purchasing at launch.
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    This is the game that Diablo 3 wishes it was. this is just to meet the character requirement this is just to meet the character requirement this is just to meet the character requirement this is just to meet the character requirement this is just to meet the character requirement
  16. Jul 10, 2012
    Excellent game. Can't wait for Torchlight 2. It's a shame Torchlight 2's release date says September 30th! I can't wait that long! Especially since Diablo 3 is terrible, we need an amazing RPG already!
  17. Jul 1, 2012
    After wasting time and money on D3 I've gone back to playing the original Torchlight while I wait for Torchlight 2. I've realized that even the original Torchlight is a better game than D3. You actually get drops that your improve your character. When you break things and open chests you actually get gold and items. Imagine that.
  18. Jun 4, 2012
    Very fun game, this is what i've been missing lately. I can't wait for the sequel. For the ones that say it's too much like Diablo do some research, 2 of the 3 Diablo creators are at Runic games so yes it's meant to be like that.
  19. May 24, 2012
    I'm not a fan of the art direction, it looks way too cartoony and it's basically a style-copy of WoW. However, the gameplay is everything that Diablo 3 should have been. Offline singleplayer (granted no multiplayer, but that's what Torchlight 2 is bringing), no LAG, and you're actually able to customize your character with attribute points and a skill tree (which is sorely lacking in D3).
  20. May 22, 2012
    A perfect game for a low price, and loads of hours of gameplay. Torchlight 2 is going to amazing also. Love these games. I really could care less about Diablo 3 after playing the Torchlight series
  21. May 20, 2012
    I cant believe people are calling this a Diablo clone, or saying it "stole" things from Diablo.
    Wake up, be informed. This is made by the ORIGINAL CREATORS of Diablo after Blizzard North was shut down. T_T
  22. May 16, 2012
    Buy this instead of diablo 3.
    More fresh feeling ideas, more fun gaming, fully moddable etc etc. Even withoute multiplayer it is a lot better than diablo 3.
    BTW, wait untill T2 emerges from the embers, fully moddable and multiplayer. Can the fans create a new CS in the fantasy rpg ganre. Maby who knows what will happen, at least you wont be dissapointed.
  23. May 16, 2012
    Torchlight is one of my favorite games. This is coming from someone who played Diablo, and Diablo 2 growing up. This game is made by people who know this genera really well because a lot of the guys from Runic Games came from Blizzard North. I'll start at the top of the list: graphics are sweet (I enjoy the art style); game play is smooth; the music is epic and really well done; and the story is a good vs evil like any other game, but it works. Of course, the only downside, was no multiplayer. Torchlight 2 however, is my most anticipated game of this year, or even the past few years. Watch game play videos of that game and you'll understand. Expand
  24. May 16, 2012
    Awesome game, after all the Diablo 3 hooplah this week I had to come leave a review for Torchlight. It really is a fun, awesome game that you can pop in and out of. And you can't beat the price! Also, it's on steam so no on-line required DRM B.S. Can't wait for Torchlight 2!!
  25. May 15, 2012
    Torchlight is a superb game for anyone that is a fan of the dungeon crawling genre. Torchlight is by no means a "Diablo Clone", in fact, I would propose that is instead "Diablo Evolved." Added features in Torchlight such as the pet system and robust modding tools truly distinguish the game as an entirely different beast. The modding community for Torchlight is phenomenal; a testament to this is the community developed modding interface RGFHotSpot. This simple program presents you with a list of mods in database, and upon installing multiple mods, the tool can then be used to check for conflicting code that would prevent the game from running properly while running certain mods together.

With Torchlight now being a gifted bonus for pre-ordering Torchlight 2 on steam, there is absolutely no reason to pass up playing this awesome game.

Tell all your friends, "Torchlight isn't a clone, it's Diablo Evolved!"
  26. May 15, 2012
    +Mods, +Fluid combat, +Cheap, +Three Classes each with three skill branches, +Pets, +Decent loot system, +Character to character item transfer. -No online play, -Dull environments, -Story is generic. If you liked Diablo, you will love this.
  27. May 13, 2012
    A few of the more negative reviews criticise the game for being a Diablo clone, clearly these people don't know the game was created by the co-designers of Diablo 1&2! It's certainly a more casual approach than Diablo, but that doesn't stop it being an extremely fun game to play, the 3 classes are distinctly different and all a joy to control. Combat feels very impacting, and the there's a perfect balance between fun and difficulty, though like most ARPG's it can be a bit samey, but hey that comes with the genre. The story is a bit meh and never really grips you but that doesn't matter, you won't be paying much attention to it anyway. Anyway if you like ARPG's you owe it to yourself to play it, it's a hoot. Expand
  28. May 5, 2012
    Is it a Diablo clone? Yep! But so what? Diablo was one of the best games of all time - torchlight contains all of the epicness of d2 with a streamlined interface and more vivid graphics. For 15 bucks you really can't say no, you will have hours of fun figuring out how to turn yourself into an unstoppable train locomotive of gory death - and once you do, turning an entire room with 20 little guys and two big bosses into a bleeding pile of corpses in seven short seconds of screen shaking and big numbers gives you the spectacle that defines the action rpg genre. No running around forests gathering plants, you run dungeons and slaughter evil for your gear! It doesn't get a solid 10/10 because during the main questline you have to go through five-dungeon level jaunts of samey-looking environments and that gets old. In addition, there is so much white trash loot that it becomes cumbersome to pick through (since you can't just pick it all up and deal with it later because your inventory is small) in the middle of a dungeon, and that takes away from the flow of the game. Torchlight is a tribute to the genre of action RPGs - but if you have never played an action RPG before, do yourself a favor and play Diablo first. Expand
  29. Mar 28, 2012
    Nice visual style, features, gameplay. Somewhat repetitive maybe, but so is every hack-and-slash game ever released. Modest price and less idiotic DRM than the one used in upcoming Diablo III make this game a sight for sore eyes when it comes to looking for some good-old hack-em-up action!
  30. Mar 19, 2012
    It's a Dibalo clone, sure - but Torchlight is one of the best dungeon-crawler Action RPG's I've played in years. Clean, simple interface, and a slick visual style made this one of the most visually pleasing games of 2009. There's some great features, such as loading up your pet with items and sending him to town to sell them, that really add to the experience. As with most games in the genre, it can turn into a bit of a grind-fest at times, but the huge amount of variety between the different skills (and classes, for that matter) makes it totally worth it. I can't wait for Torchlight 2. Expand
  31. Feb 5, 2012
    Very fun diablo clone. No story, all gameplay. There are lots of mods available adding even more classes or randomly generated dungeons in the game as well! 9/10
  32. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is a blast that fills a serious void. If you love Diablo 2 you owe it to yourself to play this. My only complaint would be the lack of co-op. I've seen they are putting co-op in 2 so I'm extremely excited for that. Just hope they get it out before D3!
  33. Sep 5, 2011
    This game is mostly excellent. It's not the reason why, but it explains it : the studio from which this game comes from (runic games) has been formed by Travis Baldree (creator of Fate), Max Schaefer and Erich Schaefer (co-founders of Blizzard North - who worked on the first Diablo).

The reasons (yes there are many) why this game is really great are :

Simple but efficient game design
    (with the ability to use a "pet" to sell the loots without having your inventory always full of useless valuables) ; Cute and good looking SD character models and graphics ; A GREAT soundtrack which reminded me Diablo only few seconds after I started playing torchlight ; It has a very nice level editor ; Now, why nine and not ten ? Simply because there is no multiplayer capability yet (I've read somewhere it is planned for the sequel), and also because after a lot of time (but this game is so addictive that you easily spend a LOT of time on it) the randomized levels are a bit repetitive. Expand
  34. Jul 18, 2011
    You can see the subtle signs this game shows in reference to other compelling hack and slash games. However, this game offers what all other similar games don't. A level editor in which you can decide what your journey will be.
  35. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is awesome. I'm an avid isometric dungeon crawler fan, and Torchlight has been one of the most satisfying games in years. The combat mechanics and animations are highly entertaining and addictive. I get the impression that the FATE series (decent, not spectacular) was a warm-up for this company. Torchlight is the finished product. The art is good, the combat is spectacular, and I can't count the number of times I told myself "just ONE more floor..." This game would tempt me at $20-30. For the piddly amount stores (and my lord, STEAM) is asking for it, you have no excuse not to buy this game if you are serious enough to be reading this review. Doooo eeeet. Expand
  36. Jul 2, 2011
    Such a simple game yet so charming, addicting, and entertaining. This is what all games should be: easy to pick up and enjoyable for a 10 minute session or a 4 hour marathon. And at its price, it's one of the best values around. It easily beats every other Diablo clone, and only Torthlight II or Diablo III will be able to trump it. So for what it is I give it a 10, despite it being fairly short on content. Collapse
  37. Jun 28, 2011
    Superb game. I'd give it a 10 except that it doesn't have multiplayer and it had a few balancing issues at higher levels sometimes. Other than that, you can't beat the price. Looking forward to Torchlight 2. :)
  38. Apr 22, 2011
    This game does the hack n' slash genre to perfection.
    It is like a super-updated Diablo II, a thing the game creators don't deny, considering they also worked on DII.
    This is such a bargain at $15 now, that it makes me cry i wasted $60 on trash like Dragon Age II.
    Everyone should know about this game!!
  39. Mar 26, 2011
    This is a solid game. If you are looking for a new and game changing RPG than this is not the game for you. If you are looking for a firmly detailed and complete RPG to fill the gap in your RPG gaming time this is the perfect game for you. There is nothing new that they do, but everything you've come to expect in a solid RPG is here. The positives: the games saves everything exactly as it is, you leave a town portal up it is still there later, and other such examples. The downside: lack of quests, they exist but are few and far between. The good thing is that the developers encourage mods. So if you feel that they are lacking in the quests mod some more. All in all, nothing new, but everything old has been perfected. Expand
  40. Mar 23, 2011
    Awesome game! Totally consuming and fun. $15 on STEAM! Unbelievable value for so great of a game. Anxiously awaiting Torchlight 2 very soon with Co-op play!
  41. Jan 22, 2011
    I have completely fallen in love with this game. It is brilliant, very cute with outstanding gameplay. Good interfaces and easy to just pick up and play. There has been some criticism that the game does not feature co-op or multiplayer, however in this day and age where EVERYTHING has co-op and multiplayer I found it a refreshing change to have a game I can just sit and play all on my own in peace. The treasure hunting and fishing aspects of the game keep it fresh as do the maps that lead to hidden bonus dungeons. I am still hunting for some very specific items to get full sets of the epic type suits with awesome bonuses. All in all this game has mass appeal, yes it is not original but damn it is fun, very pretty to look at and superb to play. Highly recommended and I am looking forward to the forthcoming release of Torchlight 2. Expand
  42. Dec 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very well rounded up monsterbashing and dungeon delving game. It is quick and nonstop action for one, but the foundation and focus is on character improvement. Which is dominated by loot and gear and pure collecting galore for the perfectionists, where each item is potentially better than the last. This is driven by a random system, looting and enchanting and everything to make the best out of your stuff. Retire your character and pass any one item to a descendant, it acts as a legendary and better version endlessly. The game may be tiny ,but this makes even repeating rewarding. Very nicely shaped game overall. Expand
  43. Dec 26, 2010
    If Blizzard didn't have to break a pc sales record every game they make, this would pretty much be Diablo 3. Don't get me wrong, this is actually Fate with some extra Diablo thrown in (music made by the same composer as Diablo 2 and such). But that doesn't mean its bad. The gameplay works fine if you're not trying to have a bunch of minions on the screen, as pathfinding took a hit somewhere in development. Otherwise its just a new Diablo 2, and you know the drill for that - click monsters dead, get loot, repeat. However, if you've played video games before, start on "Hard" since "Normal" is actually the "Very Easy" setting. Expand
  44. Jul 2, 2011

With phenomenal music and great art direction, combined with an addictive combat system, it's hard to step away from the keyboard and mouse after the first floor.
  2. Runic hasn't dumbed down the experience, they've removed the fluff and distilled it down to the truly fun parts. Add in a few innovations and what you've got is Torchlight; a game that raises the expectations for dungeon-crawling action RPGs by being not just fine-tuned but affordable as well.
  3. The core of the game is its combat and character progression, and both of those are outstanding. Torchlight might not be breaking any new ground, but the soul of Diablo hasn't been so ably captured in years. You won't find much that approaches Torchlight's worth at its $20 price point.