9.2

1. Nov 15, 2012
    Amazing, there are no other words to describe this game and its expansions. If you are an rts gamer through and through and have not played this game then you then you are missing out big time. I have played all the old rts games and a lot of the new ones and none of them compare to this. This is how i rate the game Music/Sound 10/10 unit diversity 10/10 graphics for the time 10/10 originality 10/10 game play 10/10. This game has next to no flaws and i rate it the best rts ever. Expand
  2. Oct 7, 2010
    This game opened my eyes to the fun of creating sandbox style RTS with tons of units. This is responsible for many days of sleep deprivation, others mad that the phone line is tied up (dial-up), and excessive amount of money for fast PC to run it smoother.

After some patches and new unit releases and ultimately when the Core Contingency expansion was released, all those issues in the past
    just became even more severe. That and hygiene and diet suffered--the house was being neglected and junk food became the primary choice of sustenance. No other game has done this to me. EverQuest comes close though.

This led me to follow Chris Taylor to his other games, though SupCom FA is the only thing that has come close to recreating the experience of Total Annihilation. Got to love the old MPlayer crowd. TEN was cool for rankings, though I didn't do as well as I thought I should've (1900s). Heat was nice for casual games, but ELITE clan battles were pretty intense. Only remember Lazeroo and (can only think of a bear for some reason). I was always coming up with crafty stuff like Rapier rush comm snipes and was accused of cheating on more than one occasion. The truly good players focused on tactical micro such as early bombing runs on low resource maps like Coast to Coast. I always did well with macro, spamming the heck out of Hawks, Vamps, nukes, artillery, etc on a such a large scale...

Ahh, memories.
  3. Feb 25, 2011
    I'm surprised so little is said about this game, the amount of mods that were available and the amount of fun I had playing this game is crazy. Even 13 years after its release, and I haven't had as much fun with any other RTS, not even SC2! TA is great by itself, but when mods are added, the gameplay changes so much, so many more units are made it's insane. Even the graphics are good, explosions are awesome, they feel so much more intense then in all other strategy games. This is easily one of the best games of all time. Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2011
    Sweet mother of god, this game is marvelous. Yes, it is a bit aged in the graphic department, but it makes it up a hundred times by the gameplay. I only picked it up recently, but I didn't have so much fun since the classic rts games from westwood of old. Add to that really nice pathfinding and unit behavior, bullets and missiles being actual physical obiects with calculated trajectories, great music, atmosphere and two buckets of awesome, and you get this game. Collapse
  5. Aug 19, 2011
    time and time again I compare more recent RTS games to this, and it is still far more enjoyable than almost all. the graphics are dated, the storyline is borderline non-existent, and the AI players are fairly terrible. but it (still) has some of the best unit AI (queue up orders and customise stances), true 3 dimensional GAMEPLAY (no shooting through hills, artillery and ballistic trajectories matter-something that is SEVERELY LACKING in even current RTS) and what was a very active mod community. hundreds of units to a side (as opposed to maybe 10 or 15 in star/war-craft, many, many different units, unit types, weapons even in the un-modded game, and it is a wonderful LAN game, especially with (now) older computers. Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2011
    I had to pop over here and give this old title it's well deserved 10. I can't even believe how good this game still is when it's almost 15 years old. If there's an RTS you want to play with great units, balance and economy then this is it. There's even been a new engine (spring RTS) built with this game in mind, and you can download it for free! I don't know what else I can say other than I'm a fan of a lot of RTS games but this is the king of them all. Expand
  7. Dec 16, 2011
    This game is a multiplayer action game. D-gun enemies into flying shards of burning metal, and construct that vehicle factory while surfacing from water to deploy fast Flash light tanks to immediately attack your enemy while bombers and fighters are battling for supremacy on the sky. This game is truly epic and deep. Playability 10. AI not so good but campaigns are well built. You can build your own AI though. Over the internet 10 players can play simultaneously with a total of 10000 units on the field. Massive long range artillery will shell the battlefield while nukes blast away at wreckage over which high energy lasers are targeting enemy mechas and battle-vehicles. Expand
  8. Jun 13, 2012
    Nothing quite like it, before or since. Massive RTS with huge replayability value; add to that the sheer amount of customisation that can be done (the mods, the extra units, maps, etc which are all easily downloadable) and you've got a game of legend.
  9. Jun 19, 2013
    Oh my goodness. It's been more than thirteen years since I last played this game. When I found out they were making Supreme Commander essentially a modern reboot of Total Annihilation I may or may not have had to change my shorts... anyway, I am a big RTS gamer and I loved TA because of the shift of emphasis from a balance of resource gathering, unit building, and fighting to more towards unit building and fighting.

While I appreciate the resource gathering element of RTS games, because yes it does add another layer of complexity, I just want to get to the action. Give me my units and give me the terrain and I will deploy them how I see fit to best win. Did I mention I don't really like waiting around too long?

There is of course still a resource element in that you need to manage mass and energy, but those are pretty much infinite/self-produced and that was another awesome thing about it. The best part of the game for me? The ability to speed up your production/building process by having multiple drones or your commander help out.
  10. Apr 8, 2014
    This was a fantastic game in it's day. I grew up with this and still regard it as a fantastic game even after the many games I've played thereafter. It set the bar for future games. Even silly things like 100 stacked construction planes made the game awesome. Almost as awesome as being the guy who blows them all up with an AE shot. Played this on a 200mhz and it's in my heart and soul forever.
  11. Feb 1, 2014
    Ahead of its time, and utilizing a unique resource model that monitored rate of resource gathering as well as total reserves, allowing for deficit spending of previously gathered surplus. However as officially released it did suffer from key flaws that reduce its score. The developer clearly had a bias in favor of the ARM faction, as there are many CORE units in critical roles that are clearly inferior whereas the few units that CORE has an advantage over the ARM are in less vital roles. There are also a lot of redundant or useless units that sound nice in theory but are obsoleted in competitive play by far more cost efficient units or units that require less micro-management. Expand
  12. Aug 20, 2013
    Two factions the ARM and the CORE wage an ancient war for galactic dominance. The struggle between these factions have lasted to the brink of their own destruction. Only one side can be victorious, and you the player decides the fate of the other.

Total Annihilation is personally one of my favorite games of all time, and possibly the most well built real-time strategy game ever
    designed. This game has innovated the possibilities of physical ballistics and how much the terrain itself could effect your war efforts. Using 3D graphics, environments, and physics, this itself was a new experience for the late 90s. The game's music is also something to be noted on, it's so far one of the greatest video game soundtracks up to date. Everything about the music was performed by a program, yet it still sounds like it was recorded by an orchestra. The replayability with this game is astounding, it is a game that you will never get bored with.

An instant classic, and it does not feel dated after all of these years. The only complaint about this game is that it could have been perfect with a solid multiplayer.

4.8/5
  13. Mar 9, 2011

1. Total Annihilation lacks one critical element that would have put it on my all-time list, and that involves immersion. In other words, the storyline and between-mission cinematics (which were somewhat lacking) did not suck me in as C&C did.
  2. If you managed to afford that high-end system then treat yourself to a game that will keep you hooked for some time to come and that will have your friends' jaws dropping in awe. It's a fresh game and a deserved GDR Gold winner. The real-time ante has been well and truly upped.
  3. An impressive contender in the real-time strategy genre. An easy-to-use interface, coupled with intelligent AI, establishes the game as one of the best of its kind.