Total War: Rome II PC

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.2

1. Oct 30, 2013
    Unit AI and overall enemy AI in battles is worse than in Empire or Napoleon. Let that statement sink in before I say anything else.

I've played the game for about 20 hours and I've had enough. I won't touch it again, even if a DarthMod is implemented. I'm saying this because the AI is beyond repair and there's no challenge. Enemy unit behavior in battles is consistently nonsensical and there's never an illusion that the army is unified under one general.

What happens when you lose a battle? I can't say, since I've never lost one. This is partly because the campaign AI feeds individual units to me one by one, but mostly because all of the battles are autowins. I've been up against armies twice as strong as mine many times, but never felt challenged in the least.

I believe these are things that cannot be fixed by tweaking variable values or iterating on the current AI engine. The whole thing needs to be redesigned from scratch in a future TW game, using completely different principles.

Units also move faster than ever which makes the game feel arcade-like. Battles quickly turn into zergling clashes instead of great historical battles which is lame. This change probably takes away the fun of multiplayer as well the one thing that is not by default ruined by the lack of AI.

The game improves on just about nothing apart from the graphics, which are at this stage very buggy.
  2. Nov 2, 2013
    This game was broken. Features removed.. it's a gross over exaggeration of hype. The flag on the field of battles was worthless... no fortresses or detail put into the flag zone... just a flag in the field for nothing.
    The infantry units turned navy.. is pointless.. family trees removed... AI can't siege.. nor build siege towers or anything else. This game has been pretty much stripped of most if not all of the best of Total War.

They failed to improve upon the existing formula that has been in the game and put in some of the worst design decisions I've seen in years. Medieval Total War 2 was GOLD compared to this. Shogun2 is mind blowingly superior to most of the titles.. and this plain old FAILS to deliver on better and superior content than the old Rome Total War. On the plus side. There are a lot of factions in the game. Cities really don't look bad to me and are nicely detailed. I like a lot about the game.. but plain old stripping out what defined the previous titles in place of this clunky non intuitive GARBAGE UI makes the game TERRIBLE. This game was the most disappointing release of the DECADE,

Been playing since Medieval total war and Shogun didn't have much to do with the latter. But man oh man was Shogun 2 worth all the wait. This is GARBAGE. It has literally fallen FLAT ON ITS FACE AT LAUNCH. The point is.. it's a reskinned Empire Total War you can see right through it. The most definitive review of this game is the Angry Joe Show's review.

Everything that made Total War standout is in Rome Total War 1, Medieval Total War 1/2 & Shogun Total War 2 was the BEST in the entire series. Everything else is garbage. Creative Assembly is going to have a hell of a time picking up after this slop of a title. They simply refuse to keep improving what works.
  3. Jan 14, 2014
    This game has so many bugs its unreal. But first we should mention that a gamer should have the right to expect a certain standard of a game, from responsive AI, acceptable graphic, Good UI, adaptive Diplomacy ect. well this game fails at all the above. The AI is left wanting its like playing a retro 80's game, AI doing the same stuff over and over, no aggression at all, unfair programmingThis game has so many bugs its unreal. But first we should mention that a gamer should have the right to expect a certain standard of a game, from responsive AI, acceptable graphic, Good UI, adaptive Diplomacy ect. well this game fails at all the above. The AI is left wanting its like playing a retro 80's game, AI doing the same stuff over and over, no aggression at all, unfair programming for minor and major nation (I mean its called Rome 2 Total war, you expect Rome to survive till at least the player meets them in battle but dont be surprised when u find them destroyed by northern Gallic tribes around turn 100, well its happened to me 6 out of 6 times when i was playing as the Iceni tribe). Moving on,The graphics well, one word "joke", I personally would have accepted Shogun 2 style graphics but instead you get blurry effects and poor visuals. The UI on the other hand took a step back from Shogun 2 and well, just sucked, you don't even get to see the trait chose tree like in shogun 2, so you can plan your levelling up of general ect, there is much more wrong with the UI I couldn't tell you all here. But the thing that pissed me off the most was the Diplomacy, nations would declare war on you when you were no where near them and they had no way of attack you, for example Seleucid empire declaring war on the Iceni tribe in Britain, (please Google the nations and see for yourself). Also nations would fight 5 or 6 wars at once leading to them being destroyed out right, know one would do something like that, but the AI would. in short the game is so bad they have to bring out patch after patch to fix the crap game they are on patch 8.1 out of a minimum of 9 patches more will probably need to come out, I wouldnt be surprised if they have to bring a total of 15 patches. But if you like easy to win AI then this game is for you, but if you want a challenge DON'T BUY!!!!!
    Personally I find it had what the critics ever saw in this game are they blind or just stupid and out of touch with the gaming community, or are they just pleasing creative assembly so they don't get fired (giving head more like it), on steam it says 76 meta score well its really 41 meta score from the gamers themselves. so YOU deicide who to believe.
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rome 2 total war... What a sad time for TW fans there are plenty of flaws that ruin this game. first of all These critics well most of them are paid off. what is ridiculous. Anyways about the game. Horrible UI. Crashes every 2 seconds. Mentally retarded AI. Acting is nothing compared to the original rome. The music system: Ahh Most people don't talk about the music system the music in rome 1 made you feel like you were with the soldiers. For example If you moved soldiers there would be marching music. If 2 units were fighting there would be intense music. Last of all If you were doing nothing you would only just hear the sound of an occasional bird chirp and harp. Back to more flaws. Mp campaign is extremely hard to play without a crash. Framerate is horrible. all you need in your navy is just a bunch of transport ships and diplomacy is extremely retarded your requests almost never get accepted. This game has no potential. Just like the rest of CA's Total war games. They just do a few patches then just all of the sudden stop patching. Expand
  5. Oct 15, 2013
    The intro alone tells you how hurried the game feels.

With a horrible UI, disgusting avatars and misleading difficulty settings, it won't take you long before you just quit the game in a bizarre reverse-frustration (you want the game to match the others, you want a challenge!) There are no challenges. You can beat the game on legendary without much effort. I really feel let down by CA.
    The intro alone tells you how hurried the game feels.

Little things like the missile fire symbol which is now a crosshair instead of a bow and arrow just get to me. The unit cards are not very helpful, they all look too similar and break the game's atmosphere. Well. What little atmosphere it had. There is even a map called: ARSE! For god's sake! Errors like this just shouldn't happen.

It's a massive steaming pile. And I'm a fan of their other games!
  6. Sep 21, 2013
    A travesty. Shame on you CA. Learn from Stardock and do something to compensate the people who pre-purchased this grossly sub-standard product. This has done much damage to a well-respected franchise.
  7. Jan 4, 2014
    Everything that needs to be said about the state of this game at release and as of now even with all the patches has been said, I can tell you from my own experience that the vast majority of issues listed in the negative reviews for this game on this site I have experienced for myself. This game gets a 0 from me for being worthless to play at release and for still being unfinished evenEverything that needs to be said about the state of this game at release and as of now even with all the patches has been said, I can tell you from my own experience that the vast majority of issues listed in the negative reviews for this game on this site I have experienced for myself. This game gets a 0 from me for being worthless to play at release and for still being unfinished even with all of the patching and for the disgusting business practices, examples being the pre-order bonus, blatant false advertising and paid-off professional critics. Don't waste your money on this if you want a good Total War or strategy game for that matter; buy Shogun 2 the entire package has been in on steam sales for less than £10 which is great value for money and even scales well with your PC capabilities. In my opinion Companies like The Creative Assembly and especially scum like Sega should be boycotted into bankruptcy. Expand
  8. Sep 17, 2013
    This game invested heavily in marketing and advertising and made well documented highly hyped promises. It has massively under delivered on those promises. Graphics, AI and game play are well below what they promised, leaving many fans very disappointed. Yes it looks great, if you aren't suffering the numerous bugs and technical issues, which suggests it should have been more thoroughlyThis game invested heavily in marketing and advertising and made well documented highly hyped promises. It has massively under delivered on those promises. Graphics, AI and game play are well below what they promised, leaving many fans very disappointed. Yes it looks great, if you aren't suffering the numerous bugs and technical issues, which suggests it should have been more thoroughly tested. The AI at release is awful units brake formation the minute the engage in combat and it turns in to a mob. Battles take 6 minutes for me on average and that is hardly any time at all for any strategy, or enjoyment. There are no family trees and worse one or two line pre battle speeches. Both of which rip much of the character and depth out of the game. What shocked me was the ability to make post Marian units after one building upgrade over a hundred years before it occured. They have really stripped the game down and made it very fast and simplistic. Things I would expect in an action console game. Sadly this is more flash than substance. For a strategy game and total war title it will disappoint those who have played previous title from the catalogue. We can only hope they learn from the mistakes on this game and return to the elements that have made them so popular in the next game. Unfortunately that is likely to be 3 or 4 years away. I have to agree with other reviewers this scores a zero for me not just because it fails to live up to expectation or advertising, that is nothing new. It is as others have said hardly a strategy game atall. Expand
  9. Dec 12, 2013
    Wow! What expectations I had for Rome II! Needless to say, they were blown to bits!! I played this game for 12 hours before I was able to get an Army strong enough to have my first combat! I outnumbered my AI opponent by 15 to 1 and lost hands down!! It takes forever to get to a scientific technology that allows you to keep the population fed and to expand the cities! By the way, I usedWow! What expectations I had for Rome II! Needless to say, they were blown to bits!! I played this game for 12 hours before I was able to get an Army strong enough to have my first combat! I outnumbered my AI opponent by 15 to 1 and lost hands down!! It takes forever to get to a scientific technology that allows you to keep the population fed and to expand the cities! By the way, I used the EASY mode for battle and gameplay! This game takes forever to do anything!! I have really enjoyed the Total War Games of the past, but this one SUCKS!! It is boring, long and drawn out, but if all you have is time on your hands then this game is for you! Otherwise, I'd avoid buying this game until the creators do some serious patching, upgrading, etc!! Expand
  10. Oct 21, 2013
    Day 1 DLC, Broken game play, Broken AI, constant glitches, UI, missing guard button. These are the top problems of Rome 2. This is game is the worst total war so far.
  11. Oct 15, 2013
    No italian and spanish full localization/dubbing, it was stated on the game's box completely in these languages, and on steam untill 5 hrs after the release, the game is boring nothing even near the first title Rome Total War, AI is baaaad!, campaign is boring exc. for sure if arma 3 has a metacritic of 73 this deserve a 0, if arma 3 was at a metacritic of 90/ 98 this deserves a 60
  12. Oct 31, 2013
    Agree with avaspara, horrible AI, Sluggish graphics, Poorly optimized Lacks any of the soul of other Total War games. An abysmal launch that is characteristic of Creative Assembly.

Paid reviewers got paid to give this game high marks. The average joe who had to spend $60.00 on this got taken advantage of. Avoid at all costs!
  13. Oct 19, 2013
    Despite 5 patches, the game is still bad. I can't even get the game to run now, when I could before. AI still does stupid things, and the game that should have been outstanding at launch, is still on life support 5 weeks after release.

What upsets me most is the games media. CORRUPT! Anyone who gives this game 8/9/10 either hasn't played it, or Sega threw them a few quid. Worst Total War game in the series and any game that has a Victory flag in the middle of a field, can't be classed as a strategy game. AVOID!
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    Have been playing total war since the original medieval total war and I have to say even months post release this game is still a sore sight. I hope CA's image is destroyed enough so they release quality games again. This company has gone from quality to trash very quickly. Their getting greedy off the fat cash cow they have created.

For those who says "they will fix the game soon".

For those who says "they will fix the game soon". When I buy a game I expect my money's worth. For a game to cost me 60 dollars I have some expectations. I don't expect to be waiting months after launch to have the game playable. I don't care how hard their working to fix it right now I care that I got an unfinished game they decided to sell me. I am a fanboy of this franchise and I for one can tell you that I will personally not buy any more total war games for a long time. After very very careful observation after launch will I even consider buying any new releases.

Shame on CA what they are doing to their franchise. Hopefully people wake up and stop patting them on the back for their mistakes. I'm not being impatient when I say this game is crap and their still release patches. They released the game, it should be solid upon release as a costumer that is my expectation.

Either way stay away I lost my $60, no reason you should too.
  15. Nov 16, 2013
    Jeux pas fini: bug, synchronisation aléatoire en multi, unité débile (on pose l'échelle, on regarde l'échelle, et on attend de crever), icône des bâtiments très moche, interface largement inférieur celle de Shogun II. Bref un formidable bon en arrière
  16. Jun 21, 2014
    This is NOT a total war game. It has all the whiffs Diablo 3 had of possibly being ported to console one day (and how people denied that, lol) and still all the same problems with the total war series (bad AI, etc etc etc).

It has been said before and better so I'll just say this is such a shame after Shogan 2. Just such a damn shame and you'd think they'd know better.
  17. Oct 26, 2013
    As a professional developer and huge fan of this series I am unable to comprehend the degree to which this franchise has degenerated. It clear that the design team from the previous games, especially the Shogun 2 people who made an excellent, cristaline perfect strategic wargame, where not invovled in the development of this one. How a team can unlearn so many good lessons in design canAs a professional developer and huge fan of this series I am unable to comprehend the degree to which this franchise has degenerated. It clear that the design team from the previous games, especially the Shogun 2 people who made an excellent, cristaline perfect strategic wargame, where not invovled in the development of this one. How a team can unlearn so many good lessons in design can only be explained by Sega's corporate shortsightedness and CA internal politics.

Whatever the cause for the sudden case of stupid at CA, the results are in and here is my professional assessment of the title's failures:

Battle:
    The most important element of the game, tactical battles, has been gutted of any meaningful gameplay in exchange for pretty 3D models and animations. The Camera has been moved so far back and the fov change means that you can't really tell what is going on. Just a bunch of pretty animations that I can never afford to see unless I want to see my entire flank collapse in 2 seconds. Cinematic mode indeed, it feels like an Art Director was designing the game.
    - Unless you zoom way in you cant even you can't tell what is infantry, cavalary, etc...The high level LODs are so poor at a glance you have no clue what is where in your battle line, the icons are of no assistance and the flags now give no information at all thanks to their minimalist and unclear labels.
    - The art direction for the icons is baffling and obscure, not to mention ugly. How they decided to go for this abstract look instead of functional icons and labels is beyond stupid for a strategy game, where information has to be clear and available at a glance (real time people, dont want to hover over a button to get the menu)
    - The changes to grouping and orders for battles are beyond frustrating. Why would you gut the previous system and replace it with this baffling set of useless instructions? The super powers for various units are unrealistic and incomprehinsible, they are just a confusing mess of buttons with unclear functionality and effects, and labelled with even more baffling icons that bear no resemblance to whatever it is they are supposed to indicate. Who ever changed the battle system should file for mental incompetence and go live in a care home.
    - Tactics? What tactics, the worse part of the battle system is as glossy and uselessly slick it may look, there are no tactics to speak of. Units have to be told what to do all the time, its like an RTS, and the speed of some units is baffling. There is no clear relationship between cavalry, missile troops, and infantry. Battles turn into a chaotic blurr of incomprehensible pop ups, you cant maintain a line, you cant hold flanks, there are no charges or any of the elements you expect from ancient warfare. A catastrophe. This has marketing written all over it.

The Strategic Game

-- More baffling icons, hidden information in pop up menus, illogical menu logic, the art direction for the UI sucks to high heaven.
    - Getting rid of transport fleets was stupid, oceans are now super highways for large armies. I guess Hannibal forgot he could have sailed straight to Rome instead of crossing the Alps for a year. What a retarded decision this was, and would shure like to know who on that team came up with that dusie.
    - Hate the research tree, dull and overly simplistic. Compare it to Shogun 2 for the extent of the fail that this tree represents.
    - Diplomacy, annoying flaws that make it a chore. The menu is a chore. The sound effect for a turned down offer gets so grating after the 20th time, play test your own game for sake.
    - Character development, boring. Its so simplistic and repetitive it became a chore. No real sense of achievement in growing personalities. All the characters look like they have the same ugly face. Stupid to animate these ugly facial models, if you are going to make them all uniformly dull and ugly ditch the animation.
    - Politics are incomprehensible, I appreciate the attempt to add some more subtlety to the political dimention but the result is a non interactive, baffling and ultimately irrelevant system to the game. Gravitas? Who came up with that? How about Political Power? Or Popularity? or Influence? just a few suggestions to making the labelling more meaningful.
    - No seasons Not even two? Winter Summer? Too much art work? Cheap bastards. You can't have a cool feature in your franchise and then expect no one to notice when you ditch it for your follow up. How about spending the budget on animating the stupid looking ugly characters on seasonal terrain art? Or even the Cinematic Mode budget? The way features were prioritized in this game suggests that you were being told what to do by a console publisher. Oh wait.........

The greatest tragedy is that this represents the end of Creative Assembly as a powerhouse of Strategy Game development. This is a tremendous blow to gaming, and the dev team should be ashamed of themselves.
  18. Oct 27, 2013
    Rome 2 was supposed to be the best TW game as of yet... this is sadly far from the truth, the game is broken in every way possible, even worse than Empire Total war. I can't stress this enough; DON'T SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS PIECE OF SH*T!
  19. Oct 10, 2013
    I am a long time fan of Total War. But I am very much DISAPPOINTED in this new Rome Total War II. We waited for a bunch of crazy innovation of the game. What does the game designer and developer thinking? I would rather play RTW 1 than this newly scrap they created.
  20. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is a total buggy mess. The state this game was released is unbelievable. The graphics have frequent errors, major random frame drops and the AI in this game is broken. The only reason why i gave this game a 1, was because of the new feature the unit camera which was a nice cinematic improvement to the game but this being its only good feature this game has a lot of explaining toThis game is a total buggy mess. The state this game was released is unbelievable. The graphics have frequent errors, major random frame drops and the AI in this game is broken. The only reason why i gave this game a 1, was because of the new feature the unit camera which was a nice cinematic improvement to the game but this being its only good feature this game has a lot of explaining to do. I also find the gameplay quite bland, because instead of adding to shogun 2 they took away many nice features and messing up the tech tree a whole lot. This game should not be getting the review of critics it should be getting and a 50 meta score is the maximum this game could get, but even that is stretching the limit. Overall this game is a waste of money and should not have been pushed out by the creators because of the hype. It upset many fans turning their backs on the total war franchise making the total was series in need of redemption. fix AI, fix frame problems and textures, shorter turns (PLEASE) and maybe this game deserves a 70 Expand
  21. Oct 23, 2013
    I don't mind that there are some crashes, or that there are some bugs. Auto-saves has made this a small issue compared to what is truly wrong with this game. It's really boring.

They shouldn't have bothered with the Campaign, because that is what is the saddest part of the whole game, the battle system it is possible to fix with some new and interesting units and better AI. But the map strategy is really, really bad.
  22. Oct 25, 2013
    simply unacceptable. no comment!!!....................................................................................................................
  23. Oct 30, 2013
    Preordering this game was one of my biggest mistakes in my life. Right now I feel naive and cheated.
    The Ai is terrible, plain stupid and broken, every previous game had a better one even the Rome1. It feels as it's scripted to charge from the front and push cav from the flanks and that's all. Every single battle... But camparing to siege Ai it is great as siege Ai is completely broken, I don't even understand how it is possible to fail so badly, they aren't even able to use the machines they have...
    The unit cards are ugly and confusing. The campaign Ai is stoopid and useless.

Multiplayer in Shogun 2 was a major step forward, that is why I have no idea what were they thinking leaving this well built formula and creating this Quick battles which were fun in Shogun are terrible here, you can;t choose whether to play siege or a normal battle.

I feel cheated or even robed. Sega should refund money to all the people and after a year release a normal product, but I doubt it will happen :/
    This isn't a game, this is a Beta Version and I don't remember buying early acces... I wanted a complete product.
    I am really ashamed as I respected CA and Sega and right now I am sure that I won't buy their games in preorder and I will think twice on buying them.

With regards, cheated customer.
  24. Aug 2, 2014
    Still broken nearly a year later. I bought this game at launch, multiplayer was poor at best due to all the crashes and the game breaking bugs. Plus the campaign had unintelligent AI and ridiculous bugs, one of which made it so after I hit end turn around turn 90ish it didn't do anything, even if I went back to turn 60 and tried something else, it just ended once I got back to turn 90ish.Still broken nearly a year later. I bought this game at launch, multiplayer was poor at best due to all the crashes and the game breaking bugs. Plus the campaign had unintelligent AI and ridiculous bugs, one of which made it so after I hit end turn around turn 90ish it didn't do anything, even if I went back to turn 60 and tried something else, it just ended once I got back to turn 90ish. So I uninstalled and WAITED AN ENTIRE YEAR to try again. So I re-installed a few days ago and everything seemed great, campaign ran smoothly, hell even the AI kind of knew how to fight battles now. Which was a big plus since before they'd just derp around your walls like it was a kid wearing a chastity belt in a whore house. They still pile up during village battles like it was a big orgy and you weren't invited, but whatever.

So I siege Carthage, which was under control of Syracuse (Good job making major factions still awful after a whole year CA, I always knew that generic faction that was wiped from history would make a comeback and rule the world someday) and look at that, 2 massive army stacks are protecting it, which is normal on hard+ difficulty. So I start the battle, and everything seems great for about 5 minutes, it's a huge battle, everyone is getting ready to die and then suddenly CRIPPLING unit lag sets in like my grandmothers alzheimer's and no one can remember how to even **** move. My FPS is still around 35fps and the camera is fine, it's the units that are moving at a snails pace and stuttering helplessly. So I pray to the Total War gods and turn my settings to Low, still doesn't work. I set it to max speed, no change, everyone just stutters about occasionally dying.

You know for a game based on warfare with massive armies numbering in the tens of thousands, you'd think they'd figure out a way to have 3000 vs 3000 work. Also the DLC I bought - Blood and Gore, isn't working right now, apparently the last patch broke it. CA charged you for blood in a game solely about killing people in huge battles that don't work, and lookit that blood doesn't work either, no wonder everyone just stuttered about like zombies.

/delete local content
    again.
  25. Feb 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terrible mechanics, enemy agent a permanent stop my army and the enemy was able to capture two of my main city, after which I lost and then went out and departed this game. HOW? As a small bum could stop an army of thousands of people for 5 years? !!!! 1 day maybe 2 days, too, the week is almost impossible, but not f***ing 5 YEARS! Expand
  26. Jan 19, 2014
    Uhhh. I played the game before I read the reviews.
    I bought all the DLC's before trying it.
    I didn't encounter too many battle bugs because I autoresolved due to graphic issues. I believe CA knows everywhere it's broken. The campaign map is awesome, a wonderful work of programming and graphics. I would urge then to loosen up the city-province options and let us empire build. All the
    Uhhh. I played the game before I read the reviews.
    I bought all the DLC's before trying it.
    I believe CA knows everywhere it's broken.
    The campaign map is awesome, a wonderful work of programming and graphics.
    All the new petty restrictions break the game.
    Penalize unhappy civilizations like CIV5.
    Let us leave standing armies.
    Just let this game be like Medieval 2TW.
    Please don't give up yet.
  27. Oct 26, 2013
    This review is based on the game, as it currently is (patch 5). I have played for about 25-30 hours. I fancy the new region based system, which makes it so much easier to manage cities compared to earlier TW games. The graphics are really great and run pretty well with the latest patch applied. However a number of things, seriously spoils the game: The agent system, screws up the gameThis review is based on the game, as it currently is (patch 5). I have played for about 25-30 hours. I fancy the new region based system, which makes it so much easier to manage cities compared to earlier TW games. The graphics are really great and run pretty well with the latest patch applied. However a number of things, seriously spoils the game: The agent system, screws up the game completely, being way too dominant, the civil war system is impossible to understand, and is really just an annoyance and the diplomatic and trade systems are fundamentally flawed simply doesnt work in their current state. The battles are some fun, but often feel too chaotic and arcade style. All together the game is a dissapointment. Would have wished for a Darthmod for this TW game too, to fix all these things, but that will unfortunately not happen. Expand
  28. Oct 24, 2013
    I have invested 10 hours and most of the points I am going to make are cons so lets get started: There are massive frame rate issues, especially when seiging a city which requires you to use battering rams or other seige equipment, lag is also a problem I can barely play the game due to the amount of lag, AI is basically stupid they show up on the battlefield and never charge, flank orI have invested 10 hours and most of the points I am going to make are cons so lets get started: There are massive frame rate issues, especially when seiging a city which requires you to use battering rams or other seige equipment, lag is also a problem I can barely play the game due to the amount of lag, AI is basically stupid they show up on the battlefield and never charge, flank or attack in general, the UI is good on the campaign but worse in battle and the whole thing feels like a beta test and the list goes on and on.

But there are some good: Visuals are better, you can see each city expand on the campaign map, armies are now more realistic they can't move without a general, land battles and sea battles are combined to give each battle a better feel.

But I feel like I need to add more bad points on: Enemy's never declare war on you and the game is way to easy and last but not least,sometimes your enemy will send one unit to attack a city on the hardest difficulty up against your 1000 men garrison army.

This is why I can only give Rome 2 Total War a 2/10, I really wanted it to be good, I am a huge fan of the franchise, CA really need to step it up in the next Total War.
  29. Nov 5, 2013
    Not a bad game, but there was so much more they could have done, not to mention the marketing campaign that blatantly lied to all the fans of the series. It's dumbed down, so if you're a fan of simple games that make you feel smart, then buy it. If not, then I would advise you to avoid Rome 2.
  30. Jul 3, 2014
    Another DRM infested piece of crap
    This game is broken from its core the narration is also lame in comparison to the first one
    The game is broken and boring
    Not to mention they are realising bullcrap DLC rather then proper expansion like Barbarian Invasion
    I recommend you stick with the first one.
  31. Jun 19, 2014
    HUGE disappoint when you play total war shogun and switch to this game like angel from heaven going to hell UI like crap. I played almost 20 hours just to find myself how bad this game
    such a let down people
  32. Jul 1, 2014
    After 13 patches and several mods tested, this game still sucks. It is flawed by design and working as intended!
    Dont you ever buy this if you want a strategy game. If you think of it as an app you might get if for some €€ at steam, install it, play it for some minutes, quit bored and annoyed and aswell deinstall that 20gb of massie failure.
    Unfortunately i paid the whole price and i
    Unfortunately i paid the whole price and i will never ever again play something from CA.
  33. Sep 9, 2014
    The first Rome Total War is one of my all time favorite games. With eager anticipation I pre-ordered Rome 2 on Steam after many years of waiting. However, I immediately had trouble running the game after the release, not a unique experience of course. I consoled myself with the fact that my pc was old and that it was at fault that the game was nearly unplayable.

Fast forward almost

Fast forward almost exactly a year later. After getting enough money together for a new gaming PC, I eagerly installed Rome 2 to finally have a real crack at the game. Sad to say, after 4 hours of play I find myself very disappointed. Even after a year of patches I find the campaign AI to be erratic and units in battle glitchy. The weird looking faces on the campaign map characters still happens and I generally feel that things are still a mess. I hope Creative Assembly learns from the mistakes it made with this game. It wasn't ready for release a year ago and, in view of the current state of the game, I think its still not at a place where it should be released had it been delayed until this year. Creative Assembly has been a company that has shown true vision over the years, I hope they haven't lost that.
  34. Jan 9, 2014
    Штурмов нет. Стратегической части нет. Морские бои мало того что унылы, они не имеют никакого отношения к античности. Интерфейс заслуживает отдельного слова, такого малоинформативного, страшного и запутанного убожества не видел уже давно Оценка 1.Штурмов нет. Стратегической части нет. Морские бои мало того что унылы, они не имеют никакого отношения к античности. Интерфейс заслуживает отдельного слова, такого малоинформативного, страшного и запутанного убожества не видел уже давно Оценка 1.
  35. Apr 26, 2014
    As a long-term player of Rome Total War I was looking forward to this game, but it has disappointed me in the way that most strategy game sequels do. I would have been happy if they'd kept everything the same as the original game, but streamlined some of the management and made the AI less stupid in strategy, combat and diplomacy (anybody new to the franchise would probably have enjoyedAs a long-term player of Rome Total War I was looking forward to this game, but it has disappointed me in the way that most strategy game sequels do. I would have been happy if they'd kept everything the same as the original game, but streamlined some of the management and made the AI less stupid in strategy, combat and diplomacy (anybody new to the franchise would probably have enjoyed that too). Unfortunately the new game is everything that most sequel strategy games are: more pretty and more complicated. Not complicated in a puzzling, challenging sort of way, complicated in a "lots more dull things to deal with" sort of way. Hundreds of regions acand custom unit types, after the first rush of interest, are just a bore. I guess the sort of programming that requires adding lots and lots of "stuff" is easier to do than the sort that makes the computer think and act like a clever and crafty human.
    If you're the sort of person who likes auditing accounting spreadsheets, you'd probably like this game. If you actually want to have some fun, avoid it.
  36. Apr 28, 2014
    First of all I'm a fan of Total war series since the first Rome game. But this new game, although its pretty when it works most of the time its crashes because you need a high end gaming rig to play. Even then the game still is broken with lots of bugs. There are up to 12 big patches already released by CA to correct and fix their broken game but still have not iron it all out. I've paidFirst of all I'm a fan of Total war series since the first Rome game. But this new game, although its pretty when it works most of the time its crashes because you need a high end gaming rig to play. Even then the game still is broken with lots of bugs. There are up to 12 big patches already released by CA to correct and fix their broken game but still have not iron it all out. I've paid $74 when it came out and kinda regret it. I've lost 100 hrs or Rome Campaign too with one of those patches. Not being able to load it anymore. Plus all these DLC add-on that cost at least $3 should be free. I will not spend a single cent anymore on this game and any other CA release games. Expand
  37. May 1, 2014
    Can't give this more than 4/10. Played all total war games since Rome 1. It feels weird when a game 10 or so years older has better AI and unit colission than it's much newer counterpart. I bought it when it came out and was able to play a game as Rome. Stopped playing for a while and started it up again and just fount it as sad as it was before. Can't play it anymore, I guess i'll justCan't give this more than 4/10. Played all total war games since Rome 1. It feels weird when a game 10 or so years older has better AI and unit colission than it's much newer counterpart. I bought it when it came out and was able to play a game as Rome. Stopped playing for a while and started it up again and just fount it as sad as it was before. Can't play it anymore, I guess i'll just install shogun 2 and medieval 2. Expand
  38. May 20, 2014
    The most disappointing game I ever played,sorry,i dont play it no more,The transport ships Spam to disguise the lack of CA competence to add proper naval invasion its the ultimate ultrage,
  39. Aug 29, 2014
    this game has destroyed my views of total war..... that is all you need

BUT i need 150 words so don't buy this game all of the bugs at launch made it unplayable but even with all the patches i think it is number 12 now the core game play is just no where near as good as shogun 2 ..... and all the meta scores giving it an amazing reviews seem a little suspicious to me =/
  40. Mar 26, 2014
    I am at a loss why Creative Assembly wanted to ruin their reputation with this pile of trash. It's also inexplicable how Total War: Rome II is made by the same studio that made Shogun II, an excellent successor to the original Shogun. The game betrays every single Total War fan. It is so casualized I felt like I was playing a tablet game. Some lamentable design decisions include no familyI am at a loss why Creative Assembly wanted to ruin their reputation with this pile of trash. It's also inexplicable how Total War: Rome II is made by the same studio that made Shogun II, an excellent successor to the original Shogun. The game betrays every single Total War fan. It is so casualized I felt like I was playing a tablet game. Some lamentable design decisions include no family tree, no attrition, no AI aggression, and my personal favorite: fire torches for gates. Then of course you get the expected technical issues of a CA game. But wait. This isn't your typical CA technical mess. It's much, much worse. On a nice computer you would be lucky to get more than 30 FPS on the campaign map. Do you like to wait 5 minutes at end turn? This game offers that. The biggest joke of this joke is unit AI, where units clump up together like a mosh pit and run randomly in all directions.

Heh, I actually told people how great this game was going to be. Good job using misleading footage, CA.

P.S. When your game is absolute trash, you might not want to anger your fans by releasing DLC.
  41. May 29, 2014
    It's the worst Total War game over the entire Total War series I've ever payed, and I have played them all since the original Shogun more than 10 years ago.

Being a hardcore Total War fan, it was the biggest disappointment in all my years of gaming.
  42. Oct 21, 2013
    Rome: Total War 2.

Rome: Total War 2.

For me, RTW 2 was one of, if not my most eagerly anticipated game of the year, as were the rest of the games in this once magnificent strategy series. I'd played and enjoyed every game in the series since the first Shogun title and I expected this release to be another successful game in the series, especially as it was the sequel to what many would consider to be the best game in the series Rome: Total War. Unfortunately I was wrong...

Firstly, I'm hearing from other gamers and reviewers that this is a game that can be fixed and the early bugs can be ironed out. I'm afraid they are wrong as this game is flawed from top to bottom and its problems lie much deeper than just amateur development and testing and I will list why.

User Interface (UI) The Creative Assembly have ditched previous features from UI such as functionality and historical relevance in favour of some dull, boring and what I must assume they think is a 'trendy' minimalist interface. Unless CA has intentions of patching the UI the game will remain an unmitigated disaster of a strategy game. The minimalist UI has resulted in the removal of a decent settlement information panel which contained both interesting and useful information that would aid any strategy gamer in their campaign as well as providing the gamer with a more immersive and unique experience. The technology ‘tree’ or line as I would rather refer to it as has been simplified, as have the construction and recruitment options. All strategic aspects of the game in which the gamer in past titles would have made decisions are gone. Instead everything is laid out in advance with player just clicking to confirm their destiny.

Strategy Aspects Gone. Rome: Total War 2 is now on par with Dicewars for strategy and immersion but fear not, RTW 2 can justify the fact it cost me £29.99 more to play that Dicewars due to the fact it has impressive graphics that may one day work when the bugs are finally ironed out. I may even get to experience them first hand if for some reason, I make the horrible mistake of trying to play the game again. For me the majority of the strategy has been victim to the ‘super-cool’ IOS-esque UI.
    However some parts have been maliciously ironed out intentionally. For example naval units, who needs naval units when land-based militia units can be recruited and sent off the cliffs and transform into ships? Who needs a Spanish Armada or a Royal Navy when you’ve got shape shifting peasants?
    Troops can also use magical special abilities and cities are won and lost through giant games of capture the flag.

In-Game Characters Generals, agents, politicians and family members? What’s the point? All of them are highly susceptible to random deaths and rapid ageing so investing any kind of time in them is generally pointless and/or highly frustrating.
    The final thing that really kicks you when you are down is the time between turns. I actually congratulate CA on replacing rebel settlement with real historically based factions but the extra turn-time that’s resulted from it just destroys any tiny bit of immersion or desire to play the game that remains with you.

If you enjoyed the Total War series or strategy games in general this is not a game for you.

lewisjoel
  43. Jan 19, 2014
    I am an angry fan
    I am an angry fan
    Who has forever lost faith in all the new CA games So long as I ever see any one of the wankers from the rally point episodes Especially the ginger one or the Head programmer or head of communication.. LIERS! ….Heard of prince of Macedon ? Well for those that have he is a sell out… and still can’t help but admit privately to players that he is Disappointed with how Rome 2 turned out and they paid him to promote it … did a terrible job when showing the actual game there is not much to work with in the ways of good points… compared to previous TW titles with less budget.. He spends more time on Rome I now. Sega and C.A .. Spent more money on promotions and bribing reviewers and critics that certainly have rather low grade brain cells.. to make false positive vague reviews with no real detail on how it’s any good… apart from saying its based in ancient times and it’s a Strategy… NO **** Sega And C.A THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN US!
  44. Jul 13, 2014
    12 patches later and halfway into 2014 and the game still runs poorly, with the fps plummeting when units enter into melee (like the old Shogun 2 bug before patches ironed that out). I have an R9 270 and an i5 2500K so make of that what you will.
  45. Oct 19, 2013
    Disappointed by Total War, they just get worse and worse simpler by each release. I miss the likes of Medieval and Empire. In love with Europa Universalis now!
  46. Oct 19, 2013
    I've always enjoyed total war games, but this marketing scheme by The Creative Assembly portraying this game as a masterpiece full of complex strategy and huge epic battles was a complete shame. Broken A.I., rotten political system with no point or purpose, sloppy battles and somewhat disappointing repetitive music that plays over and over again, you'll enjoy the tunes at first, butI've always enjoyed total war games, but this marketing scheme by The Creative Assembly portraying this game as a masterpiece full of complex strategy and huge epic battles was a complete shame. Broken A.I., rotten political system with no point or purpose, sloppy battles and somewhat disappointing repetitive music that plays over and over again, you'll enjoy the tunes at first, but believe me.. it gets old real quick. Though the graphics are quite wonderful and rich in historical representation, that's all you get, and even the graphics cause immense problems even for powerful computers. That's the "jist" of it, after purchasing this broken piece of software I felt downright ripped off at the extreme price of 60.00. Has CA sold out to modern marketing "gimmics" that downright LIE to consumers to make a quick buck, imitating Hollywood by showing incredible "Trailers" on an epic scale edited in a fashion where people believe they are buying what's on the trailer, I really think so. Though they are releasing beta patches every 1-2 weeks, it's a slow drooling process and many mistakes that plagued the release are still around; Excellent modders such as Radious Mod (you can find his work on the Total War Center forum) have made the game a little more playable, but with so many problems it seems that the game may take years upon years to get a solid foundation. go head and try the buggy hunk of junk yourself and see. Any reviewer who gives this game a 100 on meta-critic is either a "Deceptive Marketer i.e. Snake Oil Salesman" or simply a fool. Expand
  47. Sep 22, 2013
    This game in its current state is unplayable. The ai is mentally retarded, sieges don't work as well as naval battles. There is no functioning political system that matters and diplomacy is worse than Rome 1.

There some amazing new ideas and if the game is ever patched into a working state buy it. Provinces and limited armies work well. But overall a huuuuuge step back from shogun 2.
  48. Oct 24, 2013
    A very buggy and unsatisfying experience! Given the high production value of their earliest titles I'm continually appalled to see what they deem worthy of a release. What I payed for felt as nothing but a rushed cash grab.
  49. Sep 15, 2013
    That is enough!
    I can only compare this to war-z with the false advertising. I will not buy anything else from them or STEAM again.
    It is not funny to spend money on lies and all they do in the support forums is to mock you in your face.
    I feel like an idiot to have spent money on this but at least I just lost some money while CA will lose their jobs. It is a matter of time...
  50. Nov 23, 2013
    Can't start a battle after the newest patches. With mods installed, can't even start the game at all, which I can accept, but seriously? Only game I have ever played which seems to be degenerating with every update.
  51. Oct 19, 2013
    I am thankful they did not call this Rome: Total War II and instead called it Total War: Rome II as it is entirely undeserving of following up such an amazing predecessor. Everywhere Rome: Total War got something right, Total War: Rome II got it wrong.
  52. Oct 18, 2013
    Horrible UI
    Broken AI
    Downright wacky graphical issues and horrible performance. Ships sailing on land and zombie soldiers. Instant Fleets from armies making the naval aspect pointless. 1 year turns so generals die off instantaneously. AI can't use siege equipment and uses magical torches that burn down reinforced gates and then bum rushes them with the whole army to be slaughtered.
    Horrible UI
    Broken AI
    Instant Fleets from armies making the naval aspect pointless.
    1 year turns so generals die off instantaneously.
    AI can't use siege equipment and uses magical torches that burn down reinforced gates and then bum rushes them with the whole army to be slaughtered. Oh yeah and CA refuses to even address this.
    1 minute arcade style battles.
    Endlessly long AI turns.
    No political system.
    Units don't hold formation and battles become giant mosh pits requiring no strategy.
    Campaign videos gone, general trees gone, every multiplayer feature in Shogun II gone.

It's quite simply the worst total war ever, a shameless cash grab and an insult to every fan.

It's actually one of the worst games I've ever played.

Do not buy this game. It should be called "Total Garbage Rome Blues". And it can't be patched to get better. There are too many design flaws and CA already stole everyone's money.

I'm sure they're spending most of their time getting this trash ready for a stupid console port. What a joke.
  53. Oct 25, 2013
    The flags remove any strategy in city and fort battles when the AI attacks because the AI rushes the flag and ignores your units. Units glob together in great balled-up blobs that eliminate any reason to use the cinematic camera. Battle times are 3 to 5 minutes, which is barely enough time to watch the battle. The game becomes a tedious grind to conquer the map with battles that feelThe flags remove any strategy in city and fort battles when the AI attacks because the AI rushes the flag and ignores your units. Units glob together in great balled-up blobs that eliminate any reason to use the cinematic camera. Battle times are 3 to 5 minutes, which is barely enough time to watch the battle. The game becomes a tedious grind to conquer the map with battles that feel repetitive. There is a clear lack of immersion to keep the player interested before the player approaches mid game. Expand
  54. Oct 26, 2013
    The game was simply not ready for release. Its a crime they took our money for it. 1600 negative reviews and the critics loved it no it dosent look like they were payed for their opinion no it dosent look like gaming journalism is a joke in general. /end sarcasm
  55. Oct 27, 2013
    You dream to bring Rome out of the darkness? Face the Carthaginian threat? Invade the uncharted barbarian lands? Honor the gods and your family? Et caetera. Well, install Rome Total War I (one). Don't waste your time or disk space installing Rome Total War II (Two), after playing the tutorial you will find yourself wondering what's going on. The answer is: nothing, Rome Total War 2 is justYou dream to bring Rome out of the darkness? Face the Carthaginian threat? Invade the uncharted barbarian lands? Honor the gods and your family? Et caetera. Well, install Rome Total War I (one). Don't waste your time or disk space installing Rome Total War II (Two), after playing the tutorial you will find yourself wondering what's going on. The answer is: nothing, Rome Total War 2 is just an empty shell. Golden empty shell, but empty nevertheless. I won't waste my time and yours writing about what's not good about this game, the only thing I have to say is: I wouldn't install this game even if this was a freeware. Ah yes, I have something more to say: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  56. Aug 1, 2014
    I'm a big fan of the Total War series. The original Rome was great and that got me started, then Medieval 2 was a triumph. I loved Empire and Napoleon was OK but Shogun2 was not as good, killed my laptop (Core 2 Duo, 4Gb Ram, 1Gb NVidea graphics card supporting direct x 10) and Rome 2 is unplayable on it, I'm having to play it on my wife's desktop PC. What really annoys me, even more thanI'm a big fan of the Total War series. The original Rome was great and that got me started, then Medieval 2 was a triumph. I loved Empire and Napoleon was OK but Shogun2 was not as good, killed my laptop (Core 2 Duo, 4Gb Ram, 1Gb NVidea graphics card supporting direct x 10) and Rome 2 is unplayable on it, I'm having to play it on my wife's desktop PC. What really annoys me, even more than my inability to garrison my towns with units of my own choosing (GRRR) is the difficulty in changing the orientation of a unit. I had one battle where I was attacked in a fort and had barricades to erect but could I rotate them 90 degrees to block the side entrances? No. Then there's the crashes and the slow downs..... Expand
  57. Feb 14, 2014
    No, I didn't play it, just counter balancing all their paid for voters. Also still upset at the BS they released that was called empire total war. I said I would never purchase a total war game again after I got that half off, and felt cheated out of my money. Only played it an hour or two tops and in one battle, I saw the ai kill its own general with its first barrage of canon fire, thenNo, I didn't play it, just counter balancing all their paid for voters. Also still upset at the BS they released that was called empire total war. I said I would never purchase a total war game again after I got that half off, and felt cheated out of my money. Only played it an hour or two tops and in one battle, I saw the ai kill its own general with its first barrage of canon fire, then had a unit completely freeze, and then watched the ai abandon its cannons to charge my fort with its cannoneers.

Well, I did buy shogun total war, when it was 85% off, and still felt it wasn't worth it. Within 10 turns I had by far the strongest faction, and within 30 I controlled a quarter of japan, and I wasn't playing on easy. Diplomacy was completely broken, I would attack a faction, then make then pay me insane amounts of tribute for peace, then rinse and repeat. It was supposed to be their best release in the last few years, and yet I found it boring, easy, and less complex than the original shogun total war. I felt it wasn't worth it, at 85% off.

IMHO, Creative Assembly needs to rename their total war series Total CRAP, which would be more fitting for their dumbed down glitchfests, which they try to sell for triple A prices after they pay for positive reviews. They managed to keep empire at an average of 90 from critic review, which has told me a lot about who not to trust for accurate reviews.
  58. Oct 20, 2013
    By far the worst game for installation EVER!!!! DO NOT BUY. What they don't tell you is that you do not just download and play you first download an installer, that instals the downloader which then installs steam. Then you have to wait (now going on 2 days) for them to send and activation code. Then go into steam and put in the code to then finally download the game. Worst Install ever,By far the worst game for installation EVER!!!! DO NOT BUY. What they don't tell you is that you do not just download and play you first download an installer, that instals the downloader which then installs steam. Then you have to wait (now going on 2 days) for them to send and activation code. Then go into steam and put in the code to then finally download the game. Worst Install ever, disrespectful and backwards. I keep asking myself why would i pay 60 dollars for a game then have to wait 3 days to get a simple activation code. ONCE AGAIN DO NOT BUY TOTAL WAR IS A TOTAL WASTE OF YOUR TIME EVEN BEFORE YOU CAN PLAY THE GAME. Expand
  59. Oct 20, 2013
    This is a very disappointing release from TW. There are a lot of bugs and the AI is not at all challenging even on high difficulty levels. Sieges are ruined by besieging units being able to destroy gates quickly with magic burning torches rending the need for siege engines pointless. Battles are over too rapidly because one side or the other will rout. within minutes. Overall the game hasThis is a very disappointing release from TW. There are a lot of bugs and the AI is not at all challenging even on high difficulty levels. Sieges are ruined by besieging units being able to destroy gates quickly with magic burning torches rending the need for siege engines pointless. Battles are over too rapidly because one side or the other will rout. within minutes. Overall the game has been dumbed down and simplified for a casual audience. Expand
  60. Jul 19, 2014
    Coming from MTW, M2TW, ETW, S2TW giving this some 20 hours now I must say that I still can't get warm with it.
    The UI is just horrible, every time you have to click down 3 sub-menus until you are where you have to go. Which is quite the case with Agents because they need an Upgrade like every turn.
    Town management is just stiff and better don't get anything wrong because your people will freak out and **** up your game in only a few turns. This is especially fun once you have a few regions and your people freak out for no apparent reason and destroy your game.

Whatever they were trying to do with this, it doesn't work for me... at all. It's like it tries to be a different game borrowing concepts from CIV... just in the worst way possible
  61. Jun 5, 2014
    After playing Rome TW for so much time i can only say this about the sequel: Boring, broken piece of crap.

AI is actually worse than the first Rome, congratulations CA.
  62. Jun 8, 2014
    It's just unplayable and boring. Almost every aspect of this game doesn't make the grade. I enjoy a challenge, but the conquest map is just too massive. And, it finally becomes so repetitive - conquer city, move units around, rest, conquer city, move units around, rest........... Such a disappointment after Shogun 2, which I still dust off and play sometimes.
  63. Jul 20, 2014
    low score is not the result of the battles , I think they are the best in terms of moral , how long a unit lasts is important for strategy and I think it was way to short in shogun 2 and the detail is beautiful. I think the thought gone into the fighting is really good. however . a game that is this buggy and lags this much in a siege makes the game unfinished. my score reflects this. morelow score is not the result of the battles , I think they are the best in terms of moral , how long a unit lasts is important for strategy and I think it was way to short in shogun 2 and the detail is beautiful. I think the thought gone into the fighting is really good. however . a game that is this buggy and lags this much in a siege makes the game unfinished. my score reflects this. more importantly however ! this game lacks all character. rome 1 has this simply by having different colours. seeing your towns buildings change in size (noticibly) in the (see town option with your civilans in it) and huge temples ,being able to choose your own king by the family tree. the game should be trying to preserve the children it captured bye making more character within the game like from Rome 1 by allowing and supporting our own story lines , being able to pretend that I was the son of a king who removed me from the throne and so i took my reputation and money and used it to buy and bribe an army of mercenaries , which I then invaded the gual making the empire twice as big. and then "pretending" I made my own civil was against my hated brother. this and the feel of power I had, but with out feeling like I was just easily rolling over everything , boring and unchallenging. rome 2 naval is by far the best I have seen , besides empire total war. I love ramming ships ! but after my 30 hours (enjoying about the first hour) and then it becoming a chore and thinking (if I wanted more fun and character, I would just go sleep and dream about it instead) I see ca thought we wanted better battles, I see there dedication to it. however , balancing issues and the complete lack of any reason to want you to care enough to keep playing to fight the battles. maybe im just getting old, maybe the younger audience , who I assume don't even play p.c any more , would like it better, maybe im loosing my imagination, or maybe ROME TOTAL WAR has failed to spark my imagination and from the negative reviews , ill assume its the later. Expand
  64. Jul 19, 2014
    Been with the TW series since Rome 1. I am a scholar interested in the time periods pre-ancient greek/roman as well as the ancient greek/roman period.

With those things in mind as well as my expectations set fairly high thanks to CA advertising and marketing... I can say that Rome 2 was absolutely disappointing. I have to agree with other users and long-time fans who know what they are talking about--CA released a beta, and made their base pay full price. It's shameful.
  65. Feb 17, 2014
    Well I, like many, formerly gave this one a good review at first. But after 90+ hours of gameplay, I cannot stand this game anymore. Initially, even before patches, I enjoyed the game. Any quarrels I had could be easily remedied with the Radious mod. But after putting one and half campaigns' worth of time into it, its lack of depth has truly killed it for me. I'm not going to rip on unitWell I, like many, formerly gave this one a good review at first. But after 90+ hours of gameplay, I cannot stand this game anymore. Initially, even before patches, I enjoyed the game. Any quarrels I had could be easily remedied with the Radious mod. But after putting one and half campaigns' worth of time into it, its lack of depth has truly killed it for me. I'm not going to rip on unit cards or the UI. I actually think those are fine. What I will say is that this Total War requires far less brain function than previous installments, as if it was streamlined and dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. Gone is the family tree, which sadly rid the game of both its personal touch and its risk. My general fell in battle? That's okay, there are three more just as good waiting to be instated. It's not like we have to worry about faction leaders or heirs anyways. Control over resources is now an afterthought. There are no trade posts to acquire monopolies as in Empire and they don't aid in construction as in Shogun 2. They're just trade goods, on the off chance that the AI will actually accept trade with you. There was a great chance for trade posts in the form of the Silk Road, but I guess CA had other interests in mind. Instant transports mean that you no longer have to wait years, amassing forces and planning an over seas invasion. You just swim over now, which really takes away one of Total War's rewarding and accomplishing feelings (or brutal and dismal defeat). This also makes no sense, but I suppose we had to suspend disbelief when we accepted "Imperium" as a model for how many troops we could raise, instead of just simply being able to afford them population and money-wise like in previous installments. Not only is "Imperium" probably the dumbest thing that has happened in the series' history, but it also makes the game the most annoying thing to manage in the late game. This isn't strategic depth, this is CA saying "we're gonna dumb down the game and then give you the finger while we're at it." Because of this I can no longer maintain public order as I please and can hardly protect my border settlements. In addition, "Imperium" has allowed the AI, down to its last city, to simply spam stacks around a poor village, preventing my one or two stacks, that should have been sufficient, from actually wiping them off the map.

3/10 for better graphics and not completely tearing down the franchise's gameplay.
  66. Sep 7, 2013
    So, the game is full of bugs and miss a lot of features that made Total War a great series of games in the past 10 years. I cannot understand how a game can be so downgraded from the old good games (like shogun 2), this game is so bad right now.
  67. Sep 4, 2013
    Loving this game! Don't understand where all the hate is coming from. Running this game on full HD medium settings with around 30-35 average FPS on a Dell XPS 17 that only has a Nvidia 555m GPU to boot. Can't get more fair than that, especially for such a graphically demanding game. Everyone with technical issues need to stop throwing tantrums and patiently wait for a patch that will fixLoving this game! Don't understand where all the hate is coming from. Running this game on full HD medium settings with around 30-35 average FPS on a Dell XPS 17 that only has a Nvidia 555m GPU to boot. Can't get more fair than that, especially for such a graphically demanding game. Everyone with technical issues need to stop throwing tantrums and patiently wait for a patch that will fix most of your problems no doubt. Expand
  68. Dec 16, 2013
    iohfhihfoehf;'QIOHQ;IJDWKLDMNQWKLDqjdwkqldjqdkliqwjdklqjdqwkldjqdlkQJDQWDqld;qdkqdl;qwdqld hf;fsklfhksdfhdslfhsklfhs;dfhjdsfhjdskfhdsjkfhdsjfhdsjhfjshfjdshfdsfdsfdsfds Do not judge this game off of user scores even the positive ones....... any butt hurt player can make a account, write anything^, and rate a game zero out of ten... Just go off of the critic score. For every game in thatiohfhihfoehf;'QIOHQ;IJDWKLDMNQWKLDqjdwkqldjqdkliqwjdklqjdqwkldjqdlkQJDQWDqld;qdkqdl;qwdqld hf;fsklfhksdfhdslfhsklfhs;dfhjdsfhjdskfhdsjkfhdsjfhdsjhfjshfjdshfdsfdsfdsfds Do not judge this game off of user scores even the positive ones....... any butt hurt player can make a account, write anything^, and rate a game zero out of ten... Just go off of the critic score. For every game in that matter because these PEOPLE do not matter
    Buy this game or don't
    But for the love of god.. do not think for a second that your well informed by the opinion these emotionally compromised nobodies.

Alot of games are going under because of Metacritics User Score section and i'm against this list.

Copy and Paste this.
    Rate zero
    Please pass it on.
  69. Jun 19, 2014
    I had such high expectations for this game... I've played almost the entire franchise and tried to keep an open mind, but after only 10 hrs. I'm done with this garbage even after patch 13 it's just a clumsy MOSH PIT SIMULATOR:

Positive things: - looks good (i have a nice pc and it makes my video cards burn! idk if It will look good on an average pc) Meh! things: (things that might

Positive things:

Meh! things: (things that might have potential)
    - you can control the turrets when defending a city
    - when and if you manage to see the individual movements of the soldiers, they look ok... focus on IF, its impossible to distinguish anything in the mosh pit.

- Negative things: EVERYTHING ELSE... it's impressive how awful, boring, frustrating this game can be (and let me remind you that I've played this garbage for only 10 hrs, after spending at least 1400 hrs on the whole franchise)

THE BATTLES:
    First: no matter what you do and how you play it will end up in an awful mosh pit.
    I guess they finally achieved all the "balance" they were looking for (idk who was the imbecile that said that all the units must be "balanced"... if you spend a ton of money and technology on elite units and cavalry, they should at least run over some peasants like grass right?) but nope! now you just attack with whatever you want: cavalry, spearmen, archers, peasants, the general, your dog, your underwear, whatever.... just throw it all into a the big mosh pit, it doesn't make any difference at all.. plus on top of it, you will win, its how easy this thing is! now you can understand the comments about the UI and the awful cards: the units are all the same: archers are useless they don't do any damage at all, cavalry is also useless, the only use for cavalry is when you try to reach another mosh pit a little faster. To enjoy this crap, simply forget everything you know about tactics, strategy, history, total war, and simply pretend you are playing a really crappy RTS game just without having to train each soldier individually.... did it mention that all the units are the same? no difference between a infantry, cavalry, archers, if you want your archers to get a kill, simply throw them in the mosh pit, otherwise they won't do a s**t.

Ohh another thing that find extremely stupid is that an enemy unit that is not in the range of view of your army, just disappears.. so you have to use an entire unit to explore the battlefield all the time (like you need an entire unit to SEE the enemy). If you wanted to put this crap in the game you should 've used the freaking retinue! remember? runner, shieldbearer, etc. Anyway... they put everything and i do mean EVERYTHING imaginable to make you hate this POS

THE CAMPAIGN MAP

I wont say much about this because I still don't understand it nor I will try to, just some highlights:
    - You start with cavemen technology (you can't build a RAM! unless you come up with that technology!!!! ohhh an I don't remember even being close to the be able to build a siege tower). I m glad they didn't make you start researching things as "fire" or "the wheel" or even "stone hatches" for that matter.

- The bonus you get from technology is useless and stupid (like - 0.000005% recruiting costs or + 0.00000000001% more damage for infantry units) u know to keep the units "balanced" because god saves us from the day when 2 cheap peasant units wont be able to take down a roman legion.

- Fleets are useless just get some peasants to build a high end war quality boat and sail wherever you want.

- the last thing i remember (because i do wanna forget this experience) is that i was boring as hell soooo much useless crap to see and soooo little interesting things to do.

I wanted to do this review with a cold head, not when I was angry, so i waited a few days before writing this ... but just thinking about what this game was supposed to be and we got, makes angry ooohhh and the little price tag: 60$ + all the dlc's now i see why they didn't include a demo.... to catch idiots like me and many others.

I always defend video games when some people say that is a waste of time and money... but in this case this game truly is a waste of everything.. hell I don't even criticize people that play angry birds or any other casual game.. but i wonder what is wrong with people that actually play this POS and LIKE IT???
  70. Oct 24, 2013
    I tried to give CA the benefit of the doubt on their disastrous launch but at this point Rome 2 is pretty much a complete loss. I no longer believe it will be ever fixed and CA misguided approach to game design does not bode well for the franchise. I'm a long time fan and have purchased pretty much all Total War products since Shogun 1 and I'm done. Truly we are seeing the unfortunateI tried to give CA the benefit of the doubt on their disastrous launch but at this point Rome 2 is pretty much a complete loss. I no longer believe it will be ever fixed and CA misguided approach to game design does not bode well for the franchise. I'm a long time fan and have purchased pretty much all Total War products since Shogun 1 and I'm done. Truly we are seeing the unfortunate death of a beloved gaming franchise. Sad really. Expand
  71. Sep 4, 2013
    The core game is solid with many decent new features that advance the series. For example, custom battles can now be set anywhere on the campaign map.

The technical issues are far overblown and not consistent in the slightest. For me rome 2 processes the campaign map.
  72. Feb 22, 2015
    Broken onslaught.
    No diplomacy.
    Strange boring stylistic.
    Very useless generals in battle.
    To strange power of veterans. Do not affect to the battle.

Do not buy this game.
  73. Sep 5, 2014
    terrible game
    is a light RTS for those that want spectacle with little depth.
    The AI is terrible, something that the developers keep saying they improve but each new tittle added to franchise shows them for the charlatans this company has become. They falsely advertise their games since medieval total war. Multiple patches later have fix nothing of worth except some bugs here and there,
    terrible game
    is a light RTS for those that want spectacle with little depth.
    Multiple patches later have fix nothing of worth except some bugs here and there, but the core game still remains broken. Unfortunately there seems to be a market for those that prefer strategy with little challenge so I doubt any fallowing tittle will see an improvement.
  74. May 14, 2015
    A step backwards for the franchise.

The Total War game series conjures images of great strategy games, like Rome, Medieval, Shogun, heck, I'll even throw Empire on that list (it had some moments), but Rome 2, it goes on a different list. Rome 2 earns its place beside some of gaming's largest disappointments. Combat feels... wrong, go youtube a video of the game play. It's tough to
    A step backwards for the franchise.

Combat feels... wrong, go youtube a video of the game play. It's tough to explain. Rome 1's game engine was great, Rome 2's just isn't.

Diplomacy would make a squirrel on meth say "Calm it down spazz!" The same faction that attacks you in one turn, on the very next turn is offering you the world for peace. This isn't an every now and then thing, it's EVERY turn, you have to open the page every turn to keep track of who you are at war with.

Pass this one up. It's just not a very good game.
  75. Oct 4, 2015
    It's been 2 years, the final patch has been released and so much stuff is still broken. AI will clump it's units into groups and wait to die, the prologue has no objectives or tutorial teaching you the game outside of the initial battle. To make everything worse this is still a highly priced game with no complete edition and DLC still segmented off into expensive packs.
  76. May 13, 2015
    easily the worst total war game ever made .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  77. Oct 12, 2014
    The game's still not fixed a year after release, CA flat out lied about many features that either haven't been added, or don't work. The best part is they want to sell you an expansion for many of these fixes. Despicable.
  78. Jun 3, 2016
    I got this game way after the ordeals experienced by many at release. I have to mention that when I compare the two versions (the initial release and Emperor Edition) side by side, the improvements are definitely noticeable. My problem, though, is the fact that after three years since release some very obvious mistakes are still in the game. Some of them can be fixed or improved with mods,I got this game way after the ordeals experienced by many at release. I have to mention that when I compare the two versions (the initial release and Emperor Edition) side by side, the improvements are definitely noticeable. My problem, though, is the fact that after three years since release some very obvious mistakes are still in the game. Some of them can be fixed or improved with mods, but in the end they are still gamebreaking.

First off: The campaign victory conditions are utterly ridiculous and will take ages to achieve (100-200 hours to finish one campaign, depending on your resolve). Sooner rather than later you will find that the game has slowed down to a grind, whatever faction you play. The Steam global achievements for this game tell me that not a lot of people finish their campaigns on harder difficulties - and the reason is not because it's too difficult to handle. In previous games there were short and long campaign modes, but this one has neither - it has just one and it should be labelled "eternal mode". Therefore playing several campaigns to experience the different factions is pretty much out of the question.

Autoresolving is overpowered. I understand that the developers want to limit the time spent on campaign battles by having us choose to skip some where the outcome is fairly certain. This system is TOO EASY to abuse. THE MORE MEN YOU USE TO OUTNUMBER AN ENEMY, THE LESS CASUALTIES YOU SUSTAIN. And that's another gamebreaker, because once your empire is large enough, it's easy to outnumber the enemy in battles, especially if you're using Radious mod to overcome the other problems with the game (thankfully, Radious can be implemented in parts and you don't have to install the campaign mod that does this). Two changes in the code would've fixed this easy: 1 - attacking walled settlements or villages with high defensive ratings should cause you more casualties; 2 - replenishing your armies in recently conquered territories should be drastically lowered. At the current state you can just blitzkrieg your way through enemy regions once you have a few armies to spare for an offensive. The only mechanic stopping you is local unrest, most of which decays the next turn. Autoresolving is why you probably won't finish the game. At one point the battles requiring your presence will be bygones and you are tempted to just autoresolve all the way through - not the Total War I know.

Marketing. Unfortunately SEGA has gone down the route of several other corporations in the video game industry. Now you don't even get the complete game upon purchase. Guess what, most of the interesting factions you'll have to buy separately. I should mention that the factions are already in the game, but you'll have to dish out more $ just to be allowed to play them. In fact, the whole DLC collection costs more than the game itself, while adding very little content, or content that should be in the main game.

Not enough unit variation. Uncle Radious will help you out here, just download his unit packs in the Workshop.

Lack of settlement models. Considering the fact that the game is expecting millions of players to finish the campaigns, they should have added way more settlement types in the game. I've been playing barbarian factions and I've been through all of the barbarian territories - every single one of them chooses between four or five different models. FOUR OR FIVE models for more than 40 barbarian regions? Excuse me for **** but learning strategies by heart and replaying them in different scenarios at different locations is not how I've come to love TW.

4TPY mod is a must. Without this your generals and agents are highly unlikely to become specialized in anything and will die of old age very fast - agents in particular are absolutely essential and in higher difficulties in vanilla they will stress you out very, very bad. They don't add a challenging aspect to the game, they are just a bigtime annoyance that have the power to stop entire armies turn after turn and wither away all your men. If you don't have skilled agents, good luck doing... anything!

There are more bad features, but there are features to credit as well.

Despite some bugs like javelinmen not throwing their spears when they should, battles are a lot of fun with the Blood & Gore installed. It's proper madness in every aspect. Ballistas projecting massive rocks through enemy ranks, knocking them back in either direction; Arrows and thrown spears pierce the enemy in a very visual way - lots of gore; the individual fights between men in combat are detailed and visual. When you got the time to observe how it all goes down on ground level, it's one of the better features in this game.

Campaign map looks aesthetic, so do the interactions between characters. Although for some reason they often move Sonic-style fast and you can't slow that down. The new province system is great - much less micromanagement and way more comprehensive
  79. Feb 21, 2015
    I very much looked forward to this game. I spent countless hours playing it. At one point, playing as Rome, I controlled all of Europe and most of North Africa. Just as I was getting ready to invade Greece, the number of rebellions in rear areas was simply out of control. In out of the places, like the northern Baltic, small settlements could rebel and create armies that were moreI very much looked forward to this game. I spent countless hours playing it. At one point, playing as Rome, I controlled all of Europe and most of North Africa. Just as I was getting ready to invade Greece, the number of rebellions in rear areas was simply out of control. In out of the places, like the northern Baltic, small settlements could rebel and create armies that were more powerful and larger than anything I could field. How elephants can magically show up here is beyond fantasy. Also, the covert actions were far more organized by my various enemies than could be believed. Within a few turns northern Italy, most of Spain and the Baltic states were lost to vast armies that magically appeared. It would have been nice to have been warned, but even if you were, these rear area revolts were simply too strong. A turn or two later Rome fell and I lost interest in this game. If I were to suggest an improvement to the game, I would allow the building or improvement of fortifications of settlements. This would have stopped the loss of far flung outposts because they were just too weak to defend against huge rebel armies. I will not go into the poor AI in the battles, many people have already done that. The Roman army was famous for building structures like forts and defenses, this is lacking in this game. Expand
  80. Jun 3, 2015
    to the people who rated this game at an extremely high score are paid out liars. I played the game for about 4 hours and the game isn't even that good. I hadn't the played the game for long time because it kept crashing. there are some good things about the game that i like, like when you finish a battle against an army you get to decide about the prisoners you captured by enslaving themto the people who rated this game at an extremely high score are paid out liars. I played the game for about 4 hours and the game isn't even that good. I hadn't the played the game for long time because it kept crashing. there are some good things about the game that i like, like when you finish a battle against an army you get to decide about the prisoners you captured by enslaving them to help build your cities more quickly but will have a downside. I think that the developers of creative assembly really want to perfect the game but they were rushed by the greedy CEO's just to make a quick buck off of the consumer. the crashes and updates that failed to fix the game proves that the company doesn't give a **** about the consumer only their greed and lies Expand
  81. Jul 27, 2015
    From the score you see above you may consider that this game is somewhere in the area of crap, and yet its true.

If you install few mods from Steam, there will be enormous choice of fractions to play both in custom battles and campaign. One of the best features in Total War games is campaign, and examples of Empire and Shogun total war are confirming that. However, in this game

However, in this game there is nothing special holding you from carrying on long campaign play through, as politics and economics features as well as poor user interface(in my opinion) are stopping you from doing that.

Now, as I have noticed from many user reviews, optimization is a great issue. Surprisingly, in contrast to all trailers and demos before the release of this game, graphics are not very good. Moreover, benchmark test for performance made me and my friends laugh as faces of Roman soldiers are looking like orcs or goblins from The Lord of the Rings.

Talking about performance, my PC is running Battlefield 4 at 80 fps least on Ultra settings, while GTA 5 is flying at 75 fps average on Ultra settings as well. Yet, this piece of sh!t is still lagging on me, in fact, that forced me to write this review.

So considering price tag at the release date and all the issues connected with this game, I think 4 - 6 is a fair score, not minding critics opinions, as most of us know, they are not the most reliable source to judge products.
  82. Aug 11, 2015
    I'm very disappointed with this game. For several reasons mainly the poor game mechanics and features.
    The worst by far is the building system which is an absolute catastrophe! What happened? There are 6 building slots for the region capitals and 3-4 for the minor towns. That's it??? There are a few different branches of construction like religious buildings, industrial buildings, commercial buildings etc. Then you choose what kind of building in each branch you want to build. But you better choose carefully cause you only have a few slots to build on. This makes the building system extremely limited and boring! But the worst of all is the effects from the various buildings. You can upgrade buildings from level 1 to 4 (or sometimes 5). Up to level 2 it usually fine but as soon as you upgrade to level 3 or more the buildings bring negative effects as well as positive (only very few exceptions). Basically it either reduces public order due to squalor or it consumes food. It follows a system only based on building level and category since it makes no sense at all based on what the building actually is! The lack of effort is amazing, its like the made a system first with the effects from the buildings and then randomly filled in the empty spaces with a name of a building and a picture. Its so poorly designed that you are actually being punished for upgrading the buildings. Why????? To me this ruins the entire game and make it unplayable. Compare it to Rome 1 or Medieval 2 where you had more building in one city than i a whole region with 4 cities in Rome 2 and with no limitations. But I guess that's to complicated for the "wider audience".

Another thing that's been dumbed down is the population system. Instead of showing the actual population and the percentage of growth based on different factors which made town development and planning interesting in Rome 1 and Medieval 2. It now shows the growth in plain numbers and the required accumulated growth to get a population surplus. When you have enough population surplus you expand the city with a new building slot (unless you already have the maximum number of 3-6 slots). I guess % and numbers above 500 is to complicated too.

Next is the extremely simplified and boring traits and retinue system for generals. Its limited to 3 traits and 1 retinue per general. Plus 1 bonus you get to choose at each level up (which follows standard template for all characters). In Rome 1 your general received traits and retinue based on events in his life and with no limits to the number of traits. For example if he lost health in battle he would get the trait scarred which had some effect on his influence and popularity and so on. Which made it interesting to shape a character and follow him throughout his life. Traits could be inherited as well. In Rome 2 your generals lacks personality and get replaced automatically when they die, then you go through exact the same process of choosing upgrades for the new guy at level up. You just don't care about them. On the other hand the 10 year old's of the wider audience probably don't appreciate a sophisticated system of character traits.

But if you are one of those who don't care about strategy and planning and challenge and so on, don't worry your armies will replenish themselves automatically (no retraining here) you can stop and kill almost an entire army with a couple of spies and then finish the job with a few units that's easier to manage.

I wont say much about the graphics since its not that important to me personally but could the unit cards, building pictures (or rather lack of) etc be any more boring and same looking? They actually had to give buildings different color backgrounds to be able to distinguish them from other type of buildings

The AI is too poor to mention, its not worth the attention.

If the next game in the series continue on the same path as this it will be a point and click linear game with an advisor saying click on this enemy to kill it, well done! Click on this settlement to make it happy.

The things i like about this game:
    I welcome the region system with a fortified capital and smaller towns with no walls.
    Useful garrison armies.
    Beautiful campaign map

So this game is a huge step backwards for the franchise. Things don't make sense. Rome 1 was infinitely better. They betrayed the fans and stripped away everything that was good and unique to have a much much simpler game so that people who uses a computer for the first time in their life also can play and enjoy. They could have made a great game but they just didn't want to and didn't care.

I give it a poor rating mostly because it's such a disappointment from previous games. A sequel should be better than the game before. It would score slightly better if this had been the first game in a franchise.
  83. Feb 15, 2016
    I am astonished at the state of this game. Did they think that I wouldn’t notice the clumsy interface, the wretched documentation, the absolutely untenable naval combat, the weird bugs, the lock-ups, the game-killing glitches? Did they think I wouldn’t notice the AI? Did they really think this was an acceptable AI for a single-player game? A single player game with disappointingI am astonished at the state of this game. Did they think that I wouldn’t notice the clumsy interface, the wretched documentation, the absolutely untenable naval combat, the weird bugs, the lock-ups, the game-killing glitches? Did they think I wouldn’t notice the AI? Did they really think this was an acceptable AI for a single-player game? A single player game with disappointing multiplayer compared to the clever multiplayer in their last release? Expand
  84. Jan 8, 2016
    low fps, bad ai, bad diplomacy, complicated interface, unnecessary country, too much turning time, boring and nonsencial details... i think rome 1 is better than this. also dlc scams exploit you
  85. Feb 21, 2016
    For a game that is supossed to replace the orriginal this is just sad. Graphics are good, but the AI and the user interface just sucks, uninstalled the game now, off to the orriginal again.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]