• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.1

1. Sep 14, 2013
    Sigh, normally i would give it a 7-8, since CA has the TW typical flaws integrated, weak AI and some bugs.. but seeing the laughable bashing this game get´s i´m giving the full 10, which this game undoubtly will be, once it´s finally patched (and modded), since the basic game is just great, varied and of high replayability.
  2. Sep 3, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the Total War series, and so far I'm NOT disappointed! The game is clearly a member of the Total War series, anyone who has played their previous titles will be familiar with the general gameplay. However there are new features in just about every aspect of the game that have been added, everything from province management, to agents to battle, that makes this feel different from other Total War games. As a long-time fan of the series, I love the changes, I'm looking forward to a couple hundred hours of gameplay (I had 300+ on Shogun 2). Thumbs up! Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    easily the largest, most ambitious, and most fun total war game to date. from graphics to game-play to sound audio this is a masterpiece from Creative Assembly.
  4. Sep 4, 2013
    First off, let me say that you don't need a high end computer to enjoy Rome II. If your machine can handle Shogun II, it can also handle Rome II. That being said, you will have to play around with the settings a little bit to make sure the game runs at 30-40fps average in large battles. The new UI can take some time getting used to, especially if you're a long time Shogun II player, but once you get the hang of it, it's very intuitive and easy to use.

Graphics are absolutely amazing even on mid range computers. Like I said, if your computer can run Shogun II you shouldn't have any problems. [Word of advice: Lower Unit Details and Unit Size (CPU bound) as well as Shadows and Water Quality (GPU bound) if you're experiencing low FPS in large battles].

If you've never played a Total War game before, because you thought that they were too difficult and tedious too learn, give this game a try.

As for the technical issues some people have mentioned, I can only speak for myself but in 20h of gameplay I've experienced only a single crash. Pretty amazing for a brand new PC release if you ask me.

Last but not least, I'd like to add that the game certainly isn't a 10 out of 10. But due to the large amount of unfair and braindead troll comments, I deceided to rate it 10/10 anyway. It's easily a 8 out of 10 maybe even a 9 out of 10 if you're a hardcore RTS player.
  5. Oct 31, 2013
    La majorité des bugs ont été corrigés, le jeu est stable graphiquement, les développeurs sont l'écoute et modifient le jeu en fonction des critiques sur les forums.
    La plupart des notes négatives ne sont plus valables vu qu'elles se basent sur des bugs qui n'existent plus. Le jeu en lui même est plaisant, le travail sur les unités et peuples de l'antiquité est juste couper le souffle.
    Les graphismes sont inégalés. La difficulté est la surtout en légendaire. Les nouvelles fonctionnalités donnent un coup de jeune la série.
    En temps normal j'aurais mis 8 pour certaines fonctionnalités bâclées mais vu le nombre de trolls sur ce site, le 10 s'impose
  6. Sep 6, 2013
    Clearly a game that was released before it was ready, though wait a few weeks/months and the patches/mods will clear up all the problems. Not worth a 10, but certainly not worth all these zeroes either, hence my score.
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    Now its a masterpiece.. I waited for a few months afther all the comotion about the pre beta release. But it was wurth waiting for. I love the game, always loved total war games. But this one is the best by far.
  8. Mar 27, 2014
    Good game after 11 patches. Don't expect to run game at high fps but neither does original. Game has a lot of content with DLC for future playing. Game has improved much from the original release.
  9. Sep 4, 2013
    So far I think this is a fantastic game and in many ways an improvement over previous titles. The AI is much improved, the UI is much more streamlined. The game feels like the original Rome. I can only imagine how great this game will be after a few patches and further optimizations.

Just remember, there are hundreds of thousands of people happily playing this. There will always be a
    minority raging about issues that they have. Expand
  10. Sep 4, 2013
    I think this game is great overall. Even though it has some bugs and doesn't run well, but it has beautiful graphics and great gameplay. The animation, graphics, sound, and gameplay dynamics were completely redone from the previous total war games. Bugs and performance issues should be fixed in a couple of weeks and patches, so therefore I don't think people should judge this game upon those issues. Expand
  11. Sep 3, 2013
    have some bugs, but wich new game doesn't? what matters is the overall experience and rome 2 delivers what promised. fair ammount of factions and cultures and expands upon shogun 2 in every single way!
  12. Sep 6, 2013
    Fantastic game, yes the AI could be better but other than that it is fantastic. One of the best in the series imo and will only get better in the future with updates. Alot of the changes I like but they do take some time to get use to, I think once people play the game for more than 5-10 hours they will relize the game is pretty awesome.

It seems like people forget about the launches of
    Empire and Shogun2, people had said they hated the games on release then after some patches they love it.

Whats here now is great and can only get better in the future, optimization and AI can ALWAYS be improved, these are things the series could always do better.
  13. Sep 6, 2013
    Despite minor problems this still is the next Total War game that I have been waiting for so long. And as known, CA will fix most of the problems in the near future.

There is some thing I dislike however. For some reason, the encyclopedia seems much more complicated and it is sometime hard to figure out what buildings recruit what units and other requirements. About performance have to
    say that there is lag sometime, but this far I haven't experienced any crashes.

9/10 because it's not perfect, but the this far the best TW game. Hopefully they will fix everything soon so that people don't get too angry.
  14. Sep 3, 2013
    Great game so far, I love all the new features in Rome II. Haven't had any crashes or issues so far, just some minor glitches which are to be expected of a new release with so many changes from previous Total War titles. I don't know yet if this game is as good as Shogun II but time will tell, so far it's been great and very addicting.

If you like Total War type of games, you'll almost
    certainly love this one. Expand
  15. Sep 22, 2013
    I'm really not sure about all the negativity surrounding this release. I paid for the pre-release and have been happy with what's been delivered. I don't drop a frame on my older i7 with it's ASUS 6950 which is a Radeon card. I also run a newer i5-3570 with a GeForce GTX660 and that obviously also doesn't have an issue. The game itself has lots of atmosphere and the feel of the original Rome game. The map is bigger by way of there being more regions per geographical location. The Graphics are better and look great especially pretty are the trees I think. I believe that the game suffers from enormously high expectations if there had been no expectations then this game would be sitting with a User Score of 8.5-10 at the moment. If you loved Rome you will love this Rome2. Multiplayer with a friend is actually awesome you can share units and help in one another's fights!!!. There are also some great community mods out there at the moment and you can kinda change anything you want about the balance of the game via these (they work in co-operative play too). I love this game! Expand
  16. Sep 5, 2013
    As a devoted TW fan, I have been waiting for this for almost 10 years, and it does not disappoint. Every aspect has been improved upon and by god is it addicting. It may suffer from a few bugs here and there, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is an extremely entertaining and well crafted game. All TW games are massive, and therefore it takes a few patches to fix the stuff that's broken. But this is already a great experience. Thank you, CA, thank you for a great game.

And hopefully the idiots that plague this page will get some common sense and realize that making games is difficult, and that their doesn't help.
  17. Sep 22, 2013
    Keep in mind that people with problems are vocal then don't comment when it's fixed later. Frame rates are good game looks great on lower settings and runs great on a ATI6950, a GTX660 and my main GTX670 (all on high or above on the 670). The AI has already been fixed (even better with mods like Radious mod mods are very easy to install/uninstall) and does some really cool moves on the battlefield. I recommend easy or normal as the AI gets an annoying attack and health boost in battles above there (I like 1:1 no advantage on individual units). Coop netcode is superb and playing LAN coop all weekend awsome. Expand
  18. Sep 11, 2013
    ver 1.1 Simply put. Anyone complaining about low FPS must just have a out dated PC. Please its time to upgrade. Do you wanna be stuck with console graphics forever. A i7 sandy ivy or haswell and a gtx770+ or 7970ghz+ run this game at 60+ on Ultra all day every day. Its like people expect their crap PC's to play the best graphical RTS with over 1000+ individual men on the battle fields. Its just not gonna happen. Most of the bugs people complained about were fixed very fast. There is so much that the devs put into this game most other games you pay $60 for don't have 1/4 of the content. The AI is great despite what people say. The enemy will "Lure" "Flank" "Double Flank" and even set up ambushes from the other side of hills or in trees. How is this bad AI? I guess people want to see a blitzkrieg every battle. Don't listen to the junky PC haters out there and do yourself a favor and buy this game. I pirated the game and loved it so much I bought it for $60. Not waiting for steam sale on this one. I usually never buy games unless i have to or the game is so good the devs deserve my money, so that says a lot. I still can't believe these user reviews. Its clear that only Critics and 500 users actually have good gaming rigs. Expand
  19. Sep 3, 2013
    Amazing game.. and a truly masterpiece in my opinion.Graphic ist awesome and the gameplay feels very smooth there are minor issues but nothing serious
    Believe the Hype!!
  20. Sep 6, 2013
    Amazing. Has some bugs, but after the first patch a huge improvement. Also, the developers seem dedicated to fixing the bugs by promising a patch a week. A very very deep game with tons of stuff to do. The graphics are better than many movies out right now. Just epic. Its amazing how much they have improved upon the original.
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    Ok people, what's with the 0s 1s & 2s?? Yes the optimization is NOT stellar, neither is the AI, nor are the game mechanics perfect; but Rome2 is not the complete mess that warrants near 0 ratings. UI Seems to be designed for a screen resolution of *at least* 1920*1080 Performance On a solo GTX 670 I set everything to "Very High" and am frame locked at 60 FPS in battles, round 30 fps on the campaign map.

AI Well it still is pretty dumb, but It does seem to be more tactical on the campaign map, like I realized it does not attack cities where my armies are but instead tries to attack the relatively undefended ones.

Not a 10/10 but its not a 0/10 either; I give it a 8/10 in the current state, 9/10 after patches.
  22. Sep 16, 2013
    This is the most amazing total war game ever! AI is now fixed, some lag fixes and better campaign UI.
    I think the game deserves more then this and if the people just waited for the patch the game would have a higher rating.
  23. Jan 4, 2014
    I personally have had ZERO issues with this game. I've pumped in over 200 hours so far and still loving it. I have to admit, the learning curve was a bit too big from Shogun 2. But once handled, this game deserves all the praise it gets. Not the strongest title in TOTAL WAR, but most certainly a fantastic game.
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    I understand that a lot of people don't like this game, but for the wrong reasons. They shouldn't give this game a 0/10 because a complaint about a unit card (really?) or a frame issue (which they will fix fairly quickly). You shouldn't like this game because you think it has stupid AI or it doesn't feel like a TW game. The only reason I am giving a 10 is to balance out the idiots who give this a 0 for stupid complaints. Expand
  25. Sep 5, 2013
    People who have issues in this game ALL have dated pc or they just too stupid to update they drivers...Whit over 27hrs of gameplay, I did NOT encounter ANY bugs.Once they gonna had the blood pack, its gonna be a SOLID 10.A FYI, IA DOES suprise you when play on legendary, the one who mention that he can beat 3 armies whit one is clearly bull*****.Best TW so far, don't listen to dumb people who don't know how to build a gaming pc. Expand
  26. Sep 4, 2013
    Been a fan of the Total War series from the start and this new installment does not disappoint. Plays like most Total War games with a few changes that I don't mind, although the transfer of troops from one army to another should be changed back to the old way, other than that I'm fine with the changes. The graphics look great, especially being run on ultra with my "optimized" setup and I have only dropped below 50fps on one siege that I ran yesterday against Athens, so no sure what others are running to be having all these problems. (EVGA 660ti, i7 3770k CPU, 32 Gigs or Ram, BenQ XL2720T) Expand
  27. Sep 5, 2013
    Creative Assembly has yet again shocked the world with this stunning new game. easy to learn for new players and veterans of the Total War series will feel right at home. by far the best Total War yet
  28. Sep 10, 2013
    Amazing. This game will be recognized as a classic. But what is more amazing is the 900+ 0-1 rating scores by people who signed up here on the same day the game was released, gave it a 0 or 1, said something about the AI (which they have no idea what they're talking about) and then left. Kind of like a 'seagull review' that is, fly in, make a racket, crap all over everything then take off.

These people are clearly ringers sent here to stir up trouble. Rome II isn't a bad game, it's not a good game, it's a great game.
  29. Sep 3, 2013
    Best yet! Ignore the complainers about performance issues. They just can't accept their underpowered PC can't play this game on ultra settings. Played it for 12 hours since release.
  30. Sep 3, 2013
    Finally got Rome 2 after a long wait. I am very happy with what we've got, and I know CA will improve the game over the coming months with patches and updates. The game is huge and people need to me more understanding when dealing with a game on this scale. This game will keep me entertained for YEARS. Highly recommend to any strategy/TW fan.
  31. Sep 4, 2013
    While this game does have issues, it is indeed an incredible experience and falls in line with every vanilla total war released to date, the graphics are beautiful and the Ai does a good job of maintaining battle lines and i am yet to see a suicide general, playing on very hard or legendary is indeed a challenge, the battles are however short, but this game is worth getting regardless and with the help of mods could be something special. Expand
  32. Sep 10, 2013
    i have watched angry review and several other who tell about bugs and other stuff. i have seen only 6 times any of those things that they mainly complain. AI most of the time good on hard (better than any before) but still it could be better. I don't know did CA think that i should get only good copy

(28h played) i know some think that's too little but after hundreds and hundreds of
    hours Rome, Medi II, Empire, Shogun II i have good idea what total war is. i just hope that things won't just jump in.
    i will play more and if i find more i will lower of higher this review if it's possible.

P.S flags suck!

i bit over rate due to ppl are shock do to broken AI i would have given it 7 at correct status
  33. Sep 3, 2013
    I'm gonna go ahead and give this a 10, just because of the lot of trolling crybabies on here smacking a 0. "Drr, give it a 0 so they don't release another game that needs a patch". Riiight.
    Let me know hot that logic works out for you pal.
    How about you stop whinning about how the game is over-valued and then you turn right around and vastly under-value it by smacking a score of 0 on a
    Total War game? Hypocritical bull.

The game has graphic settings ranging from low to high to very high to extreme, and it is obvious there are some graphic issues with the particle effects on the extreme/very high setting during water battles. Easy fix.
    Don't use the extreme/very high particle effects settings. Magic!

All-in-all the game is a weaker 8 higher 7. Professional review average is closer to the mark than the trolled user score. Rome II doesn't add anything ground-breaking. It keeps the same old gameplay formulas used in many previous titles and adapts them to a modernized Rome Total War.
    Which is EXACLTY what so many people wanted to begin with. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

It is polarizing experience. One end being any players waiting for a modern Rome Total War & any players that have been happy since Medieval 2 Total War players that know how to resolve simple graphic driver issues, in which case you will be happy & fine.
    Or on the other end: player that wants new groundbreaking RTS/player that has been unhappy since Medieval 2 Total War/player that wants ultimate graphic experience & can't handle playing on high instead of 10!@#120EXTREME!@!, in which case you will be PM-Sing all over Metacritic.
  34. Sep 13, 2013
    I want to reward the great diligence to fix a game, that is potentially the best Total War ever made. Great setting, great atmosphere, a huge improvement for IA and diplomatic story, the game needs just a little time to shine.
  35. Oct 24, 2013
    After all the patches i am glad to say that the game has come a long way and is one of the best of the series hands down. Don't trust the negative reviews sure they are still bugs and glitches at times that may be frustrating but they are slowly getting rid of them all bug at a time. If you love total war you will love this game. It brings epic battles and visuals to your screen that makes you feel immersed in the battles. The game not only has rich game play but accurately tells historical battles and story's from past time civilizations. It plays on the Athens and Sparta alliance against Epirus the empire that betrayed they to side with Persia during Persia's tyrannical reign. You can re-live ancient feuds and battles and raise your empire above the rest. How will you forge your destiny? Through Tyranny and Power or Diplomacy and Economy? The choice is yours, you are emperor "forge your path"

Try it, you will love it
  36. Oct 26, 2013
    Do i wish this game came out as it is right now (late October), all patched up and tidy? yes! am i going to hold it against Creative? NO! every gamer should understand the relationship between the game devs and the publishers! Sega says the games going to be ready by a specific date, and that's final. I'm sure the developers would have loved to polish this game to its current shiny state.

In short, all the haters should give it a go now that the developers had their extra time to work on it, its a marvelous addition to the Total War series, dare i say the second best (after Rome I)
  37. Nov 30, 2013
    Best game ever. You should have a good pc for this game, if you have laggs its your problem. i would gave this game GOTY and i played this game for 200 hours.
  38. Sep 6, 2013
    The game is good and everyone is complaining and moaning about the game, yet they should know almost every Total War game is broken when it comes out and people are giving it bad review scores because they did not get to play it because of a bug or just bugs in the game. The UI is NOT horrible, just need to get used to it because they redid the whole UI in the game which they never have done that for a Total War game. Unit cards are a little confusing but they tell you what you need to know with cool art design, the game is NOT poorly optimized. I will give credit to the poor AI, but they are not that poor, they are mediocre for a Total War game. I rate this game a 10 for this game is one of the best games I have played from Total War and a game I plan on to log hours into, it's a great game. There aren't many bugs but some many push you away, but it's called UPDATING and PATCHING, not run off and cry like a girl to a review site and give it a bad score because your navy got destroyed by terrible AI. It's sickening that I see these guys rate the game so poorly with a lot of them having terrible excuses. Personally I had no trouble in my game with crashes, or anything that will corrupt a game or mess it up. Me and my steam friends have already logged around 200-300 hours just within 4 days. Great game in my opinion. Expand
  39. Nov 1, 2013
    Don't understand the hate for this game whatsoever. I don't think it deserves a 10, more like an 8.5 but given the ridiculous number of 0's, I will give it a 10 to balance things out no matter how futile it is.
  40. Sep 3, 2013
    Awesome awesome awesome I love everything about this game from land grab to real time battles now the only reason a lot of people don't like this is because they have 10 year old pos pc's I only have a radeon 7870 oc edition and I run at high settings with 61 avg fps on the benchmark so I'm certain the game is properly optimized.
    Anyway if you have a decent pc you will like this
  41. Sep 4, 2013
    The core game is solid with many decent new features that advance the series. For example, custom battles can now be set anywhere on the campaign map.

The technical issues are far overblown and not consistent in the slightest. For me rome 2 processes the campaign map.
  42. Sep 14, 2013
    Don't believe angry kiddies whose prehistoric computers were unable to run the game. Rome II is one of the best Real-Time Strategies ever and a possible GOTY. Creative Assembly fixes bugs very fast, and the game becomes more and more polished.
  43. Sep 6, 2013
    Waited for years for this game, and i am not disappointed, though the AI lacks a bit still. But that is the only problem i have with the game.So i would say, buy the game if you liked all the other Total War games.
  44. Sep 3, 2013
    This game has some bad bugs and graphics optimalizatons, but that is no reason to rate this otherwise awesome game so low. It will get better, and you know it
  45. Sep 3, 2013
    Ave Caesar, morituri te salutant! I'm Italian and very fond of roman history. This game is a true masterpiece from all points of view: great graphics, outstanding gameplay, detailed customization, impressive environments, terrific involvement. Only one game before this made me dream so much and it was Skyrim. Total War: Rome 2 is a must buy. One of the best PC games of all times.
  46. Sep 3, 2013
    Total War ROME 2 it's just a deep beatiful strategy game like every other game of the total war series! Don't be fooled by the bad review couse it has some imperfection but WHATEHELL it's only the performance that need to be improved and some Ai adjustement nothing more! Keep it classic and buy this game because it deserve it. I gave this a 10 couse there are people that give it 0 while they have played like 5 min into the game and then they keept playing Ride to hell Retribution. You will love this game as soon you start the campaign! Expand
  47. Sep 4, 2013
    This game is absolutely what I expected it to be and actually much more! Seems as though many of CA's customers are retards though. First off, if you expected to play this game with 20 unit armies, amphibious battles and well over forty factions with five year old pc equipment on ultra everything and maintain a steady 30+ fps then you are a very misinformed person. I saw people complaining about the fact that they're i7 940 with 2 gigs of 800mhz ram and their 460g cant run the game faster than thirty fps on high settings. Are you Seriously, stop whining and look at the facts. You are using well outdated equipment to play a game that is pretty much next gen. I have an i7 2.4ghz processor, 8 gigs of 1600mhz ram and a 7970m and I'm having no issues on ultra and these are laptop parts! I mean come on seriously! Save your money up and get some new parts, pc gaming has always been an expensive hobby but a bunch of idiotic kids don't know the difference between a graphics card and a good one.

Now that I've gotten that out. This game is amazing! A totally different experience then shogun 2 and I must say I am glad that I didn't watch all of the pre-release videos. I was overwhelmed at first with all the new mechanics and gameplay, but I feel like Paradox Interactive and The Creative Assembly had a baby together. This is pretty much EU Rome Total war 4,000. Once they patch all of the FIXABLE issues, this will absolutely be on every strategy gamers must have list. I hated Shogun 2 but damn they still got it.
  48. Sep 3, 2013
    I love the first Rome total war 1 ,and now the 2 it's like a perfect version of the 1 so if u are someone that played the 1 you have to play the 2.it's your heaven!.
  49. Sep 3, 2013
    Runs perfectly on my computer with no lag and lives up to my expectations. The province system is a very cool addition to the series.
    Specs: intel i7, 16gb ram, 670 gtx
  50. Sep 3, 2013
    Oh no. If your using your apple gaming pc, you can't or even be allowed to rate this Incredible game.
    Look I'll make it real simple... If you are trying to play this game on a old school pc, don't even bother.
    You need a real PC with a real gaming card, memory and get ready to Overclock your PC.
    10/10 awesome game.
  51. Sep 3, 2013
    This is the Total War game so many have been waiting for. People complaining about performance issues and lack of multi-card support really need to relax until drivers and profiles have been released. Have you ever bought a new game before? The load times in this are excellent compared to Shogun 2, if you think otherwise... get a SSD. Load times have been a couple seconds at the most. This game will provide hundreds and hundreds of great hours of epic scaled gaming. I can easily say best game I've bought all year, not to mention the only game I've bothered to pre-order. Any Total War fan knew what they in for when they pre-ordered this. To those who didn't know what they were getting into, just be patient; this is the price you pay for greatness. A required addition to the collection for any Total War fan, and a highly recommended addition for anyone that has hours to burn on another CA masterpiece. Expand
  52. Sep 3, 2013
    I opened an account just to post this review.

First off, don't listen to the people complaining about bad graphics, it's just a bug and actually while playing it seemed to get a bit better.

Second, the map is gigantic, I am lost in how complex this game is, in a good way. This game is just as good as my favorite, Medieval 2 Total War, maybe even better, because I didn't even get to
    discover much of it.

Third, why complain about the DLC? it's meant for people who didn't pre-order and might want the Greek States. They have to make some sort of profit, and also, if this DLC wasn't made at all the staff would have to be laid off because in the pre-release phase they're doing nothing and not getting paid, so this so called "horrible" day one DLC actually saves them. Plus, you don't have to buy the DLC, if you think it's so meaningless there's no reason for you to get it at all, so you shouldn't give the game a 0 because of that, especially if you didn't even buy it.
  53. Sep 3, 2013
    O jogo sensacional, grandioso em todos os aspectos. CA tem feito um grande trabalho em manter viva e sólida a franquia. Quanto aos problemas comumente citados, provavelmente serão corrigidos, talvez com exceção da AI, mas a otimização do jogo, a correção de pequenas imperfeições e uma diminuição no tempo de carregamento entre turnos levará esse jogo ao pedestal do melhor já feito sobre esse período histórico, rivalizando apenas com seu antecessor. Expand
  54. Sep 3, 2013
    Ganhou meu 10! item indispensável àqueles que gostam de história e jogos de estratégia que desafiam o intelecto. E jogadores novatos, não se preocupem, o simples fato de ver milhares de soldados combatendo uns aos outros e o prazer sádico de observar tapetes de corpos inimigos espalhado pelo campo de batalha já valem a compra.
  55. Sep 3, 2013
    People complaining about performance and graphical issues has clearly not been with the series from the start. This is a massive game and it's hard to have it fully optimized on release. Previous games has had the same issues, but the bugs and fps drops will solved be solved within 1-2 weeks. But we'll probably have to wait about 4 months until it's fully optimized.
    The gameplay is
    amazing! I really got that feel that ruled an empire. Loved the combat and all the new features! Expand
  56. Sep 3, 2013
    O jogo magnífico! Diversão garantida para qualquer um com uma máquina que atenda as exigências. ;D PS: Não sofri com nenhum dos bugs relatados, e o jogo rodou muito bem no meu nem de longe potente computador.
  57. Sep 3, 2013
    good game, suffers from a bit of performance issues, but the gameplay still holds true, making this a fine installation into the total war series and a real gem once everything is ironed out
  58. Sep 3, 2013
    Boy I was really excited for this one. I pre-ordered and avidly pursued all I could that was available to preview before its release. I'd say about a week or so before its scheduled release I became worried and then irritated at a load of negative perception on the TWC forums from folks who just seemed determined to be angry at CA for either the price, or the DLC or something relatively trivial in comparison to the scope and grandeur of the game. Some of the more serious complaints centered around the AI. Then the first reviews came out and they were mixed... with reviewers claiming something bad (like naval combat) while others claiming the same things was good. So here it is on release day and 10 hours later I am thrilled with this game. I've been playing TW games since MTW1 so I am no newcomer to the franchise and this is the best one yet. Hands down. I was so relieved that the AI was not terrible either in campaign mode or in battle mode. Especially considering it is release day and as history shows CA will improve the game immensely from now on and then mods will pick up the torch and in the end it will be one of the best games I've ever played. Graphics are superb, UI is superb, sound is superb, action is superb, immersion is superb. Except that the wait between turns is a tad lengthy. I highly recommend this game. It is worth buying now at a premium price and will be absolutely worth buying for less in the future. Expand
  59. Sep 3, 2013
    It might not be the best total war game yet, but they will patch it soon and fix everything wrong with the game. They should have been more prepared for the release, but giving it a score as low such as a straight up 0 is jumping the gun.
  60. Sep 4, 2013
    Ok first thing is first. Yes there are some bugs but nothing that cant be fixed. You cant expect a game of this magnitude to come out without some bugs,. Patches will come out and fix them all sooner or later. As for the game its self well i think it is fantastic. It takes some getting used to but when you get used to it it is apparent that this game has a lot of depth. The battles are fantastic to watch and the spear and arrow effects are amazing. Give the feeling that a shield really is a matter of life and death. If you like the total war franchise then this is a must. Expand
  61. Sep 4, 2013
    I have been playing the game for 10 hours now and I am still exploring the game. I can't imagine how the game will feel like in a few weeks/months when I am starting to master it.
    I have the same feeling with this game like in the beginning with Shogun II. "What am I supposed to do/build now? Whats steps should I undertake? Which faction should be my ally, which my foe?"
    I am very
    excited to what the game will bring me and what I shall discover.
    I feel sad for all the poor guys who think this game sucks, they are simply not giving it a chance. I don't want a game that plays the same as Shogun II just with other units. When I buy a game I want something new. And that is what Rome II is giving us. Something new to learn and master.
    It looks great and feels immersive. The end turn time is very long when you play a coop game with someone.
    When I play single player it really only takes about 20-30 secs. I'm fine with that no problem.You must realise that it is a HUGE map with a lot more factions, it is normal. If u have a problem with it, get OVER IT.
    I find the AI challenging and surprising sometimes as well.
    It will be a game that may need some bug fixes but I will enjoy putting 400+ hours into this game as I did with Shogun 2.
  62. Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the many bad reviews, I have to say that instead the game is awsome and epic as described during this year of waiting. I can run it at maximum with no lag or issues of anysort. The problem is not related to the game but to the poor built rigs of people that pretend to play a 2013 game with so much graphical improvements on a prehistoric PC.
    I can add that the old good mods for the
    RTW I are now dead and pointless for sure as they have always been. I am confident in CA capability of releasing exstra content and add more factions and features. The usual ranters and whiners are poor childish people who will never be happy.
    I suggest to buy the game and, if not already done, a decent HW.
  63. Sep 4, 2013
    Well 12 hours in and it has been flawless to date with my old PC and XP. Map and factions are more like Rome Total Realism than Rome Total War. If it isn't working for you, it will once its patched and the mod community gets it sorted out. It is a fantastic game and even at this early stage I'm having a ball.
  64. Sep 22, 2013
    The release of this game was terrible....the game was close to unplayable this shouldn't happen with a total war game. however creative assembly has been working around the clock to get this game to how it should have been at release. the main issue i had was the crappy frame rates and the 5 min end turn phases. but now with the first to patches all the problems have been fixed and the game is close to what it should be and was expecting. the end turn phase flies by and usually lasts around 15-20 seconds or so Expand
  65. Sep 4, 2013
    Game is good IA is brain dumb soo it makes this game a sandbox best played on multiplayer no lag problems never had a crash its fun to play Interface annoying, but really likes this title!
  66. Sep 4, 2013
    Wonderful, takes the place of the first Rome as my favrote game ever. Thank you CA for another eight years of wonderful strategy and I really enjoy the multiplayer
  67. Sep 4, 2013
    I'm loving this game, there are some random bugs with AI. BUT! Creative Assembly always patches their games to a more enjoyable state, that's for sure.
  68. Nov 22, 2013
    Although at launch the game was dismal and completely unplayable the developers truly have made efforts in trying to fix their mistakes and even offered a lot of free DLC for those who stuck with them despite their failings.
    A lot of the game's previous errors have been fixed and the game is now enjoyable, especially the campaign. Granted there are some flaws to the game but not so much
    that I would degrade their score.

Keep up the good work CA!
  69. Sep 4, 2013
    I don't understand what all the negativity is about. This game is great! I've been a fan of the Total War series for at least a decade now. The games have steadily improved but have always been fun. Rome II is another exceptional achievement. I've been playing for about 15 hours now and have encountered no bugs, no crashes, no graphical issues. The only thing I can figure is that people don't understand that strategy and military tactics are what this game is about, not run in the middle and shoot as in the millions of multiplayer hell games.

There is almost no learning curve if you've played the previous Total War games. A nice addition is the bird's eye view in the battle space. While I can't experience the highest graphics setting with my limited pc, the graphics I can achieve are still great!

CA's commitment to patching and fixing bugs is commendable.

Great work CA and don't listen to all the haters.
  70. Sep 4, 2013
    Overall a great game. However flawed by AI issues, long turn cycles during end game (with you only doing 1 2 things) and lack of investment in generals. Guard mode needs to make a return and legionaries should be able to be made to throw javelins at will similar to original RTWI. A couple of strong patches should be able to fix the majority of the issues.
  71. Sep 5, 2013
    Well, I don't understand the rant about the game... It's not that bad, sure it got a few flaws! But wait a couple of weeks and it most likely will be fixed... It's not broken... It's fun.. Either you guys are somekind of fanboys towards Rome I or something.
  72. Sep 5, 2013
    Rome 2 was the most awaited game for me since probably Rome. I still play Rome, Shogun 2, and occasionally Empire and Napoleon. So in many ways I was expecting that in Rome 2 we will have the best aspects from all these other TW games. I am not disappointed at all. And, Rome 2 offers so much more.

I did find the game a bit slow even on my extreme Alienware pc and the game probably still
    needs some fine tuning, which should be done with the first patch. However, this is the grandest TW experience till date.

On the gameplay front, the game is again slower than usual with long wait time between turns, but if you can accept this and live with it, Rome 2 will be the best strategy game you can play. I would also recommend that the first few play through need to be all about understanding the interface as even while the design is elegant it can be a bit cryptic at first glance even for seasoned TW players. However, after 10 hours of play through, which is zilch compared to the time I have spent on TW, I am comfortable enough to know about the possible strategic choices and and how to make them at each turn.

The aspect that is most distinct about this game is that you have more and more strategic and tactical choices and more importantly you will be forced to use them on the campaign map and on the battlefield.

Battles are so much more interesting and the amount of diversity in terms of units, tactics, terrain, action, and abilities is amazing. This is a far better battlefield experience than other TW titles.

The art of total war is now more authentic and more diverse. Just need more factions to explore this fully.

I believe I am going to enjoy this game for a long time.
  73. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a great game and a step on from Shogun2 both for gameplay and graphics and also for probably the best historical setting for a total war game.

There are a lot of low scores for tech/grphical issues with some grphics cards which i am sure will be patched soon. So this should not take away from a great game.

PS. for balance not a fan of the new capture points in open battles
    (but its not a game breaker) Expand
  74. Sep 5, 2013
    As a long time fan of the TW series, I find that Rome 2 is a huge step in the right direction. Campaign mechanics have been overhauled and for me almost universally bring an improvement. I believe the UI is actually far more clear and informative than previous iterations in the series. I enjoy the new variety of battle mechanics and overall I feel like the game nails the feel of the clash of ancient war machines.

I have experienced very little in the way of bugs or crashes. The game has been overall very stable from a technical standpoint. Load times are long, but that's a great excuse for me to actually stop staring at the screen and grab a drink of water.

Battles are over a bit too fast for my taste, once some modders endeavor to slow things down I'll definitely be trying those. Battle AI is about where it was in Shogun 2 that is to say a good player won't be losing much to forces of comparable strength. I understand this is frustrating for some people, but to give a zero based on AI is a bit vicious IMHO. After all, designing AI is hard.

Overall I love this game already I expect to spend a few hundred hours on it and can't wait until mods start coming out.
  75. Sep 5, 2013
    My honest opinion: I've been playing TW games for years now and for the most part I've enjoyed a lot of the little changes or new mechanics. I think a lot of us are forgetting that this is day 2 of a major PC release and there's going to be bugs or issues. Rome wasn't built in a day!
  76. Sep 5, 2013
    In response to the most user negative reviews, is that the game does not suck, YOU SUCK. Wanna know why? Because the staff that made the game are human, and have a limited budget, (sorry for all the self-entitled folks who had outer space expectations) No, the new unit cards are not ugly, they are refreshing and antique like Campaign looks cool not to mention the new system they implemented,, and the battles are great too

Having a general in your army is logical, after all the general is the head of the army... Meaning, anyone who thinks this is stupid should go back playing GTA.

While the game is great, it still has some weak parts:

1. Graphic problems for a lot of PC's
    2. Low FPS

I am hoping the upcoming patches show that this game is still a diamond in the rough...
  77. Sep 5, 2013
    Truly an amazing game with endless opportunity. Sure the AI isn't the greatest but it doesn't take away from this great game. Many people re complaining of graphical problems but he developers stated they are fixing that and also adding new updates every week. Also for me personally my laptop isn' all that great and it can run the game on the setting extreme or ultra or whatever. Otherwise the UI and interface take awhile to get used to but overall is a great step forward. The campaign map is huge and the province system is definitely a fun new take. The units are varied and will give a great immersion into it and you care about your armies when they have all those good traits and have won many a battle for you. MY only complaint is really the hoplites who were a bit strange but otherwise an amazing game that any TW fan will appreciate. Also people forget all TW games have bad launches it's expected that people will have issues but everyone always forgets this. Still overall runs great for me and I'm enjoying the challenge of crushing my enemies in the long awaited new Rome 2. And of course there's gonna be mods which can make this great game even greater. My advice is this game is well worth the price and you should definitely pick it up. Expand
  78. May 26, 2014
    The game had a horrible release - it just flat out wasn't finished. Now though, this is a very solid - very fun - total war game. The size and scope of this game is just epic - right now this is one of my favorite all time games and I think it will just keep getting better. My only complaint is that the AI is still a little soft in battles - but on the campaign playing Legendary, it's quite a challenge! Expand
  79. Sep 5, 2013
    This game has been in my cross hairs since I heard about release and I am not disappointed. I have read complaints of bad frame rates or lag though I don't seem to have any of these issues on my PC. The AI can be a little lacking the former letter of the name (namely the intelligence) but I think it still does a very good job of keeping you entertained.

As value for money goes I see
    myself investing a lot of time in this game making it great value!

Normally I would only rate at 7 or 8 but my love for the total war series bulks it up to a full 10
  80. Sep 5, 2013
    People need to realize that this game is amazing, it isn't a game that you can run on any ordinary machine though and therefore makes some players think that it is an optimization issue when it may be there computers. I installed the game on the release date, and there was already an update for it in which I installed. When I actually got into the game, it was amazing, no performance issues, the AI were a little rusty but still better than Rome I. I have been reading that people complain that their game crashes and that there is a massive issue with not being able to play due to it, I have played if for over 5 hours and I can't seem to find any problems with crashing. I know that some people may be having problems with it, but I believe that this game deserves the score I am giving it. Expand
  81. Sep 6, 2013
    A lot of good details. MUST HAVE for strategy lovers.=3 UI not ideal in battle adn diplomatic part not so progressive. BUT! it very beauty and UI rather nice. 60 too many for this, but i would pay 45 for this. 10/10
  82. Sep 6, 2013
    Excellent game all round. Graphically sound, solid gameplay, completely absorbed all my free time since release. Sure, could do with a few AI tweaks and turn time was a until I moved to SSD, but most of the complaints are more down to a person's rig than the game itself (handles fine this end).
  83. Sep 6, 2013
    Creative Assembly sets a new standard for RTS games.
    I'm not the one to usually buy into what is called "hype" but Total War: Rome II has not only met my expectations, they exceeded them. The real time battles in this game is so intense that I actually feel like Julius Caesar himself commanding an army to expand my Roman Empire. The battles are so real, that I get so immersed and find
    that hours just seem to go away as I play this masterpiece that CA has created. I could go on and on about how great the campaign is. The multiplayer CoOp is truly amazing. CA has truly outdone themselves. Fans of Total War will be playing this game for the next decade I suspect, just like its Rome I predecessor. Enough typing for now, I'm going to go play some more Rome II total war, and so should you. Expand
  84. Sep 6, 2013
    I am 25 years old now, I grew up on Total War. Straight from Shogun 2 (and those 2d Samurai) straight to Rome 2. I have 100's of Hours invested into each and every Title. This is by far the best Vanilla release of any Total War to date. The game is brilliant and quite honestly I can't comprehend why people are giving negative feedback. I have 40 Hours in so far and honest I would write more on this but I want to get back to playing. So I am going to! Expand
  85. Sep 6, 2013
    This is the best total war game i have ever played. Fantastic cities. Hard battles.Really hard challenge...sure you will need good pc. But this game deserves the best pc you can buy. Awesome graphics and gameplay. Good diplomacy and rpg elements. Rome i love you.And btw nice in game events.yes ai could be better but mods will help us with it.
  86. Sep 6, 2013
    I simply do not understand all the whining about this game it is simply amazing, and easily the best Total War I have played (which is all of them). It takes the changes made in Shogun 2 and finally brings them to completion, combining it with the theme of Antiquity in a way that simply has to be played to be appreciated. If you dislike this game then I suggest moving on from the strategy genre because clearly you are looking for something else. Expand
  87. Sep 6, 2013
    Amazing game, but not polished well. Thankfully my rig can handle it but for people who cant the patch they promised needs to hurry up. Its much better than a re skinned Shogun 2 or Rome its an entirely new game.
  88. Sep 6, 2013
    -Good Graphics
    -Ai are a little clunky but ok
    -Economy model is great
    -very many bugs and glitches but with Creative Assembly's track record they will be fixed eventually
    -overall a very very good game you earned those 60$ i payed for you as long as you can fix some of these glitches but with your track record Creative Assembly i know you will
  89. Sep 7, 2013
    Pretty great game, the campaign is quite solid I like the objective driven game play giving you the option guidance and rewards for developing Rome historically accurately. Graphics run great, the AI could use some tweaks but I don’t know a total war game that hasn't been seriously patched in that department after release. The UI takes some getting used to for old total war fans. Everything is there just streamlined with very different but still functional UI. In all loving it 12 hrs in. Expand
  90. Sep 7, 2013
    Despite having a few bugs on release, the core of the game is magnificent. So many changes with almost all of them being large improvements on past TW games. With weekly patches coming out and mods already being developed, this will definitely become the best TW game yet.
  91. Sep 7, 2013
    I understand how people are having issues. With bugs and graphics and what not. This has some of the best AI in Total War history. They gave PC specs that they recommend, WAAAAYYY before the game even launched. For people who say this game looks like complete and utter crap graphically. You need to learn that there is something called Graphics Setting which you can change. Also Creative Assembly has posted plenty of videos on Youtube about the game so you can see it and judge it way before you buy it, and also there will be patches every week or so for a while, including this Friday for bugs. This game is amazing! No complaints here. Cheers CA! Expand
  92. Sep 8, 2013
    The more I play this game the more brilliant I think it is. Sure, it is not without its flaws, but once patched out this will be an excellent addition to the series. If you are a Total War fan, this is an absolute must buy. It looks fantastic, the UI is much improved, the load times much reduced since Shogun. The only problem is that I can't put the game down!
  93. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is amazing! It's WAY better then Shogun 2, I say this because I didnt like the game or where it was set. The really awesome thing is how f*cking realistic this is, when an enemy throws a javelin in your soldier's shields, they stay there throughout the battle and you randomly can just see deer in the background of battles derping. I know alot of people have problems with this game, but it's not because of CA, it's because of NVIDIA or AMD. I did some changes to my NVIDIA control panel and everything works great! GotY 2013! Expand
  94. Sep 15, 2013
    This game deserves a much better rating than the current 3.7. I really don't get the 0/10 ratings. IMO I can't see how ANY game could ever get a lower than 1/10 rating, and then we are still talking about an extreeme case.

Anyway, I think the game overall delivers what I expected from it. Of couse it has some optimization issues and bugs, like many major releases in the last couple of
    years, and especially Total War games lately. However CA and SEGA usually works very hard to fix these issues which can only explain how E:TW and Shogun 2:TW became such massive success, considering their horrible releases.

I especially like the ideas behind the public order squalor system. It just needs some rebalancing which CA has informed will come in the next patch. I also like that cities are have multiple capture points. Instead of just one where the enemy would stack all its units. I also like that artillery is finally so good that they are an important part of my army, and not just a unit used to take down a wall. It can actually apply serious damage to an army now.

Furthermore ROME 2:TW delivers what I really missed in ROME:TW: A much richer unit roster. In the first Rome there were basically only 5-10 units apart from the Roman and Carthaginian empire that made up all other factions roaster. In ROME 2 it is much more diverse, or atleast feels that way.

I have played the game for 40+ hours now and can only recommend it. 8/10. The last two is to counter all the 0/10 ratings that makes no sense.
  95. Sep 8, 2013
    Being TW series veteran, I really enjoy TWR2 as it is exactly what I have expected it to be. All the new features are improvement to me. + much more user friendly (provinces, building, recruiting etc.) compared to previous games + huge and beautiful map + epic battles + no story campaign (the one thing that I didn´t like in Napoleon) freedom to act as I like + cinematic camera (oh, how nice!)
    + for the first time in TW I actually use diplomacy and it works for me

All in all, I am enjoying the game from day 1. "Must have" for all the fans of strategy games and TW in particular!
  96. Sep 16, 2014
    This is by far the best total war game i ever played, the strategy, the graphics, i have played this game for about 100 hours never had a single bugg or glitch everything just runs smooth with a solid framerate.

Haters gonna hate
  97. Oct 4, 2013
    With the beta patch 4 and AMD beta driver I'm pleased with this product. I will now pour count less hours into this game. It had a rough release but with all the fixes its up to snuff.
  98. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is awesome, sure it has some bugs and some things needs to be fixed but overall it's very good. Most people who complain are people who don't know what the they are doing, I've seen people complaining they loose in battle and blame it on bugs.
  99. Sep 10, 2013
    I understand that for many players is certainly a very difficult game if it is not available in your language.
    Very detailed game! It is very well organized. Game runs very smoothly for me.
    Maybe little long wait after the "END TURN. Yet super realistic! Really well done.
  100. Jul 25, 2014
    I really dont understand why people are not happy with one of the best titles of the series. The strategy level of the game is really the best ever and the adition of limited number of generals/admirals a very good adition by far.
    Do not listen to the wining and grab a copy today. You owe it to yourself.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]