• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 15, 2011
8.3

1. Apr 8, 2011
    An utterly brilliant sleep stealer!
    Minor bugs and limited Campaign modes aside,Shogun 2 is a gorgeous,well thought out strategy title.If you have any interest in strategy,logistics,history,ninja,diplomacy or samauri,you must play this game.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    Never played multipalyer for this game, but I did like the campaign mode. I am an avid Total War fan all the way to the first Shogun game, so I was giddy when I heard they were making a modern sequel. As I expected, it is much similar to the first game but with massive improvements in graphics, AI, game elements, and gameplay. The AI is still not the best, but it still does a good job andNever played multipalyer for this game, but I did like the campaign mode. I am an avid Total War fan all the way to the first Shogun game, so I was giddy when I heard they were making a modern sequel. As I expected, it is much similar to the first game but with massive improvements in graphics, AI, game elements, and gameplay. The AI is still not the best, but it still does a good job and generally makes smart moves. Sometimes the AI definitely gets to be in a pain in the neck when they make a move that I unfortunately failed to see coming and they begin razing my towns ugh! But that's part of the fun of this game.

The best part, other than the actual strategic elements on the campaign map, are of course the real-time battles that you can dive into. My gaming rig thankfully can handle maxed out graphics, and this baby is GORGEOUS! I wish there was blood and gore though; I honestly haven't checked if there's a mod or DLC for that yet.

I wish the mini-cut scenes for agents were more varied, but as always I am intrigued to watch and see whether they succeed or fail. Speaking of cut scenes, the generals' speeches before every battle are always fun to listen to and watch. Yes, they if you think about it they are kinda funny and cheesy, but if you set your mind to it you do appreciate that they try to make it inspirational and immersive that way.

While some reviews here complain that all it really comes down to is who has the bigger army, particularly in caste sieges, I beg to differ. I have won countless battles now in my dozens of hours of gameplay where I was outnumbered, sometimes even 2:1. What truly matters is unit experience, unit type, and how you deploy them in the battlefield.

One grip I do have about the sieges is that the fortress/city or whatever aren't realistic or as expansive/detailed as you would expect one to be. It's mostly a huge empty space where your army is deployed, guard towers (if you have any), maybe a building or two and a shrine, and then the walls. That's about it, which is unrealistic. That said, it is nice to see there are buildings beyond the walls, like small villages around the main city, but again even those aren't as big as they should be.

One of the best RTS games you can play, with samurais and ninjas! How awesome is that?? Very.
  3. May 24, 2011
    The best Total War game ever made. It takes features that Empire introduced and perfects them (such as naval combat and a tech tree). The graphics are gorgeous, but you will need a computer built for gaming to run them at the highest level. The gameplay takes all the good from every previous Total War game and leaves all the bad. It's a huge, epic game of strategy and tactics that I thinkThe best Total War game ever made. It takes features that Empire introduced and perfects them (such as naval combat and a tech tree). The graphics are gorgeous, but you will need a computer built for gaming to run them at the highest level. The gameplay takes all the good from every previous Total War game and leaves all the bad. It's a huge, epic game of strategy and tactics that I think will impress any true strategy gaming fan, and probably even a few people who aren't fans of strategy games. If you've enjoyed any of the previous Total War games, this is a must buy. Expand
  4. Aug 12, 2011
    Shogun 2 is a fantastic addition the Total War series. The game improves upon the original Shogun in nearly every way. Visually, it is the best looking Total War game to date and frankly one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen. New to Shogun 2 is character progression. Your daimyo, generals, and even agents like metsuke and ninja gain rank as they successfully performShogun 2 is a fantastic addition the Total War series. The game improves upon the original Shogun in nearly every way. Visually, it is the best looking Total War game to date and frankly one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen. New to Shogun 2 is character progression. Your daimyo, generals, and even agents like metsuke and ninja gain rank as they successfully perform tasks and win battles. Ranking up gives you points to improve abilities, like map movement speed, defense, moral, bonus to assassination attempts, etc. It's nothing revolutionary and doesn't change they way Total War games are played, but provides another level of customization in how you're sculpting your army and the tactics you choose to employ. My only complaint is that the factions don't feel very differentiated. All factions have access to the same units for the most part and the only tangible differences lie in stats for certain units. For example, the Chosokabe have better samurai archers, the Hojo have better siege units and their castles are less expensive, etc. All this boils down to is that certain faction traits or unit stats favor one strategy over another. It has little bearing on how you build your nation but more impact on how your armies fight. Multiplayer options for Shogun 2 are excellent and well executed. The main attraction here is the avatar mode in which you customize every feature of your general and are brought to a simplified campaign map. Rather than vie for territory against other players you select which territory you want to "occupy" and then fight an online battle against a human opponent. If you win, you gain the territory and whatever unit or army bonus it corresponds to. There's a more tangible sense of progression than in the singleplayer campaign as you fight to grow your avatar's army into what you truly want it to be. Another minor complaint is the campaign map interface. It's the same mess that's plagued other Total War games and takes some getting used to. Army movement in battle maps is sometimes questionable as well. Attempting to move an army without first putting it or chunks of it into groups will end in disaster without fail as the game sends groups of units seemingly wherever it wants forcing you to either move en masse as a group or micro manage unit movement to a T. Opponent AI will sometimes make strange decisions when defending forts but is generally very competent and a challenge for most players. All in all, Shogun 2 is excellent game with loads of new features and superb multiplayer content. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2013
    Another great addition to the total war series. These games are consistently getting better with each release. The new skills for generals, and the multi-stage siege battles keep me on the edge of my seat.
  6. Dec 26, 2011
    This is simply the best total war game ever. I've played most of the games from the series and Shogun 2 is a dream come true, that goes back to the original root, but with all the refinements of the last decade. If you are into deep strategy and historic accuracy you can't miss it.
  7. Jun 11, 2012
    Brilliant atmosphere, immersing you in Japanese culture. Great and varied gameplay, lots of units, upgrades, and government management.

The online play, though, can be dodgy: with people farming their avatar level by rigging siege matches (for example, they will take nothing but gunmen on a multi-tiered castle and take infantry moral reducing abilities).
  8. May 20, 2011
    Love this game. I have over 100 hours played now (in single player). Call me crazy if you will, but there's something about games like this that are addicting to me.

Now I just wish they'd start up the Warhammer Dark Omen series again (completely different setting, but the feel of the combat is somewhat similar). Total War Fantasy game, that would rock.
  9. Nov 10, 2011
    I would give this an 8.7 and for one reason only, they are starting to release DLC's that unlock content that was previously free if you just modified one notepad document, im afraid that the people who make total war games are starting to milk it for what its got rather than focusing on one masterpiece, on the bright side the multiplayer is lightyears ahead of napoleon total war, TheI would give this an 8.7 and for one reason only, they are starting to release DLC's that unlock content that was previously free if you just modified one notepad document, im afraid that the people who make total war games are starting to milk it for what its got rather than focusing on one masterpiece, on the bright side the multiplayer is lightyears ahead of napoleon total war, The strategys that you take on ARE actually specific to the faction you decide to play as, so when sombody on metacritic says "dont ever chose this faction because they have better boats" thats simply not true, you use the boat advantage to its fullest extent by blockading enemy ports and therefore giving you more income, or if you chose to get better archers you play more defensively, or vica versa with other factions. Im happy that they made a few modifications to just about everything and refined everything to a good point, for example : ship battles used to be about clicking at the right time in a starcraft like manner, but now its much more about positioning of your ships, there is now a food factor so you cant just build a billion castles. The difficulty is finally what it should be. All the other total war games I played were so easy its not even funny (even on hardest difficulty) with one exception, western roman empire in rome total war barbarian invasion on the hardest difficulty, but thats about rome total war, all in all shogun 2 total war has stunning visuals (only if your computer is really really awsome, I was sad when I found out I could not play in DX11, because seriously, the DX11 graphics are WAY better than the DX9 graphics) More strategy, more thinking, not as time consuming as empire total war and not as complicated (which i can understand why they did that) There are also important choices you can make that will affect your empire. If the game has a problem, its the DLC and how once you have claimed the shogunate and won the game its very boring because the battles all feel the exact same. Expand
  10. May 10, 2012
    This game is the best Total war game to date. This Total war game does not have the best campaign to date but I can't explain why. The map has stunning visuals and a large variety of factions, maybe Im not as interested in Japan's history as I am in Napoleonic history. The actual battles are the what make the game. Shogun 2 has removed all of the problems of all the other total war games.This game is the best Total war game to date. This Total war game does not have the best campaign to date but I can't explain why. The map has stunning visuals and a large variety of factions, maybe Im not as interested in Japan's history as I am in Napoleonic history. The actual battles are the what make the game. Shogun 2 has removed all of the problems of all the other total war games. The game rewards attacking over defending(Crippling noob campers in multiplayer) by adding Keypoints in the centre of the map which give bonuses to the player that captures them. If a player captures all of the keypoints a counter begins which stops campers completely. This encourages players to rush for the centre, pretty much throwing all idea's of corner camping into the garbage. The sieges are just epic. Seiges have been limited to 20 minutes and attackers have been given more money to spend allowing the defenders to attack quickly instead of bombarding castles for an hour. Graphics are 5/5, Campaign 2.5/5 and gameplay is 4.5/5.

Also get Fall of the Samurai.
  11. Mar 22, 2011
    This is the best Total Game in the series. BEst AI, Very polished. Amazing Multiplayer. This is how all other games should benchmark themselves. There are however some problems though. Some bugs which should be smoothed out with the inevitable patches. Sieges has the AI go to Sleep if you use certain tactics. (However, I must stress that CA has never really gotten the handle on sieges.This is the best Total Game in the series. BEst AI, Very polished. Amazing Multiplayer. This is how all other games should benchmark themselves. There are however some problems though. Some bugs which should be smoothed out with the inevitable patches. Sieges has the AI go to Sleep if you use certain tactics. (However, I must stress that CA has never really gotten the handle on sieges. Shogun 2 is heading the reight direction. There are some graphical problems, which seems to be mostly centered around the latest video cards. Slightly older top line cards provide a rock steady platform.

Played the Takeda at Normal, it provided a very very satisfying experience and most of all very fun. This is one game that I will be playing for a long time.
  12. Jul 30, 2011
    Except for a couple of AI bugs this is probably the best strategy game you can get on PC right at this moment. some may complain that it doesnt have as much scope and variety of old total war games but I find that the more concentrated scope has allowed for more polish and its FAR easier to learn and enjoy the game.
    Graphics are great if your PC has the grunt. AI is good and would be
    Graphics are great if your PC has the grunt. AI is good and would be great with a couple of tweaks (still waiting on that patch Sega!). Sound is OK, a bit more variety would be nice.
  13. Dec 18, 2011
    The firs total war i played was shogun when i saw shogun 2 i though plz tell me they didnt make it suck like napoleon and empire ! and now that i have it i must say its a hell of a game ! best RTS so far ! i didnt believe its better than rome total war too coz i was huge fan or rome as i was with the first shogun
    now u have rpg elements and finally the multiplayer is worth playing it ! its
    now u have rpg elements and finally the multiplayer is worth playing it ! its not a custom battle ! u can play campaign mode online and if u are playing singleplayer u give the battle from the system to one radom player online :D it has so much stuff and now the melee army is fighting better but still some times they stay there do nothing(not all the army just one or two ) the only bad think is that ... will they make another one as good as this?
  14. Dec 31, 2011
    This is a great game. It's possibly the best strategy game ever made. It runs smoothly even on older hardware. I can't say enough good things about it.
  15. Dec 20, 2013
    Honestly after the rome 2 disaster i was hesitant on trying the newer total war games.. Boy was i wrong this game gets naval and land combat right its honestly a blast to see two groups of samurai split off for 1v1 combat in a skirmish. Not the big clump of men rome 2 has... The campaign map can be a pain to navigate with frequent slow downs on older PC's. Also this is the first total warHonestly after the rome 2 disaster i was hesitant on trying the newer total war games.. Boy was i wrong this game gets naval and land combat right its honestly a blast to see two groups of samurai split off for 1v1 combat in a skirmish. Not the big clump of men rome 2 has... The campaign map can be a pain to navigate with frequent slow downs on older PC's. Also this is the first total war game i played were in multiplayer more Calvary doesn't equal a win. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2011
    Hoorah! , Indeed the gameplay in general has not changed much in the last ten years. But the graphics and this game racked me up for 200 hours. Value for money. Game Graphics are very good and its something a developer can be proud of. Buy it .
  17. Sep 25, 2014
    Just excellent game, only bettered by FOTS DLC. Little replayability though : all factions feel the same, but ikko ikki. The AI is the best in a TW game, even the diplomacy is good (unique in a TW game which all have **** AI diplomates)
  18. Mar 19, 2011
    I'm going to keep this simple because no one would read this long review when there are a ton of people who are basically saying the same thing I would say. Amazing, amazing game, and the best time for people who aren't fans of the series to give it another look. Graphics = top notch, the best in any RTS/Turn based strategy. Gameplay = A very addictive experience. Really makes me feel likeI'm going to keep this simple because no one would read this long review when there are a ton of people who are basically saying the same thing I would say. Amazing, amazing game, and the best time for people who aren't fans of the series to give it another look. Graphics = top notch, the best in any RTS/Turn based strategy. Gameplay = A very addictive experience. Really makes me feel like I'm commanding my troops in battle or leading my clan to victory on the campaign map. Sounds = Hey, if you like Japanese themed sound and music then this game has the best. If not, then one of the beauties if this game might be truly lost on you. Multiplayer = I can honestly say I haven't even tried it out. For a $50 release, I am happy with it not having any multiplayer what so over. This game has everything, as far as multiplayer goes it's just an added bonus. I heard mixed things about it anyway, so my only advice is that you check it out for everything else first and then see if you'd really like to get trounced in multiplayer before you go that route ;) All that being said, amazing amazing game... one of my favorites, and I'm going to be hooked on this for a long time I think. Awesome job CA! You guys rock! 11/10 if I could ;) Expand
  19. Apr 2, 2011
    Finally some melee combat. I've had enough of gunpowder and muskets. In my opinion ancient warfare is what makes Total War so great. Cavalry, infantry, siege weapons, swords, shields etc.. This game is as good as Rome or M2TW but like all Total War titles it has lots of game breaker bugs in it and no antialising, no DX11 whatsoever. I hope CA releases good patches and addresses all the bugs.
  20. May 27, 2014
    Strategy games can, honestly, never get better than this. Excellent campaign map, clear, concise tutorial, awesome naval battles, and bunches of detail, from the katana of a samurai to the biggest mountain.
  21. Sep 10, 2011
    Great game from Sega. It's fun to play and the AI isn't as poor as previous Total War games. For example, the AI will attack you when you start using your archers (previous games let you soften them up before you main assault...like shooting fish in a barrel). Attacking fortresses is redundant though since many of the strongholds are the same with the same layout of attack. One issue IGreat game from Sega. It's fun to play and the AI isn't as poor as previous Total War games. For example, the AI will attack you when you start using your archers (previous games let you soften them up before you main assault...like shooting fish in a barrel). Attacking fortresses is redundant though since many of the strongholds are the same with the same layout of attack. One issue I have is once you get to a certain point in the main campaign every other clan attacks you making it a one vs all scenario (what ever happened to allies?). Overall, I had a fun time. I hope they make a Total War: China or something since they keep remaking old Total War games (Medieval and Shogun) and some originality is needed by Sega. Expand
  22. Jun 16, 2012
    In subjective way, I am very interested in samurai and japan history. Regardless of my interests, this game is awesome. What I see is not only about game, it's also about history. Moreover, it makes you feel like you are really running a country or a military clan.
  23. Mar 24, 2011
    Simply cannot give this game anything lower than a 10. My first attempt to play a 'Total War' game seriously, and utterly superb in every aspect. Beautifully presented, it has an addictive campaign map with a plethora of building, research and advancement options, and a battlefield system which appeals to the tactical/historical purists and the casual gamers alike. Each campaign you playSimply cannot give this game anything lower than a 10. My first attempt to play a 'Total War' game seriously, and utterly superb in every aspect. Beautifully presented, it has an addictive campaign map with a plethora of building, research and advancement options, and a battlefield system which appeals to the tactical/historical purists and the casual gamers alike. Each campaign you play develops stories that feel personal to your clan, generals develop their own traits and personalities, and the game constantly throws engaging challenges and diplomatic intrigue your way. Just. One. More. Turn. Expand
  24. Apr 4, 2011
    This is the best Total War game since the old MTW game. The difficulty levels are finally what they should be and the game is finally challenging again. It's not the prettiest of the series (still waiting on that DX11 update) but it by far is the best right now in gameplay and fun. I've ranted about the TW series from RTW forward because the game has felt like playing a romper room game.This is the best Total War game since the old MTW game. The difficulty levels are finally what they should be and the game is finally challenging again. It's not the prettiest of the series (still waiting on that DX11 update) but it by far is the best right now in gameplay and fun. I've ranted about the TW series from RTW forward because the game has felt like playing a romper room game. This one I've stayed up way into the night playing as time just flies by I'm having so much fun. If you've been on the fence get off of it and get out there and get this. I think GoGamer.com has it for $33 and some change or did. Don't listen to the panty waist little rts boys who can't stand a game that beats them. :) Expand
  25. MJR
    Apr 27, 2011
    I LOVE this game to death! It really is the refinement of the total war series. Everything makes a lot more sense than Empire and the map is way more manageable. The battles require a lot more strategy than ever before because of the units ant the terrain. The units are completely the same across all factions, except for units in which the faction has an advantage with, meaning all armiesI LOVE this game to death! It really is the refinement of the total war series. Everything makes a lot more sense than Empire and the map is way more manageable. The battles require a lot more strategy than ever before because of the units ant the terrain. The units are completely the same across all factions, except for units in which the faction has an advantage with, meaning all armies have access to the same units you do but, for example, the Shimazu have better Katana Samurai and the Chosokabe have better Bow Samurai. And don't worry there are enough units to keep the game from getting stale. Everything from economics to the arts your faction can develop down the path of bushido or chi or both make a lot of sense. It is far less overwhelming and way more manageable so much so I would say any newcomer to the series could easily pick up, although mastering it will take longer. One of the new features I think is great is that you have to be much more specific in which buildings you make in you cities and even better is how each region has something different to add when you take it over. Some have horses, some ninja, others lumber or quarries, each of which are necessary for making new things like bigger fortresses, cheaper boats or stronger cavalry. The game just feels like everything they've done up to this has been perfected. Except multiplayer apparently. I don't really play multiplayer so it doesn't affect me but if that's what you're interested in then you may want to make your own research into that. Anyway for me this game is a 10/10. Gorgeous. Expand
  26. Apr 21, 2013
    It's a game simply charming and extremely immersive. I just think they could have improved a little more art and design, like the avatars and graphics a bit more affordable for most computers.
  27. May 25, 2011
    One hell of a game, i've played it for a while and ive realized this is a great game. im addicted you have to buy this if your an rts fan, the only reason i give it a nine because it just has small things that add up
  28. Dec 30, 2012
    It's like Rome but with Japan and co-op.I much prefer the clan choice to all other total war games and I prefer the map even if it's a little small.Still really good.
  29. Jun 8, 2014
    This game takes me back to the good ol days. Such good memories from playing this game, I remember my first game I just had mongol against one unit to see the devastation. This game blew me off my feet, after seeing Napoleon total war I thought CA was taking steps back and was scared of what shogun would be, I was wrong big time. Personally, If I had to live with only 1 total war game itThis game takes me back to the good ol days. Such good memories from playing this game, I remember my first game I just had mongol against one unit to see the devastation. This game blew me off my feet, after seeing Napoleon total war I thought CA was taking steps back and was scared of what shogun would be, I was wrong big time. Personally, If I had to live with only 1 total war game it would be shogun 2/rome I total war ^^. This game was a blast I felt that it had a very solid campaign, great graphics, an overall decent AI compared to other total war games. I felt that it is also the only total war game with fluid animations that look real and the battles, are intense and brutal. Only thing I did not enjoy about this game was lack of units to choose from but this was kind of made up for with mods and DLC's but I would have liked for each clan to have there own unit types and such. By far the most game I have ever played used to spend hours each day with friends just multiplayer battle after multiplayer battle. And the multiplayer campaign with friends with junk food and watching tv was the best gaming moments I have had along with a few moments from skyrim with friends, and chivalry. Great game was so good made me hate rome total war 2. DLC's for this game were surprisingly good though I felt that fall of samurai was ehm op lets say compared to the normal game but, it did not matter since you could choose in multiplayer to fight with only shogun 2 players or along with fall of samurai.

My overall scores:

Gameplay: 10/10

Graphics: 10/10

Community: 12/10 (best community so far, for me at least)

Multiplayer: 100/10 (cannot be matched!)

Units: 8/10

campaign: 11/10

animations: over 9000

final score: badass game, that is so fun to play and even more fun to play with friends.
  30. Jul 4, 2013
    A must have for all gamers fascinated by feudal Japan. Great graphics, awesome soundtrack, solid gameplay and heaps of replay value. Highly recommended!
  31. Mar 31, 2011
    Looks superb and very well optimised. Shogun 2 has really built on the series, especially when it comes to the campaign map where there's several fantastic additions. The whole Agent system has been so well thought-out, that it's one of the most exciting parts of the game. The battles are visually stunning and the small but balanced selection of units is nice. However the game isn'tLooks superb and very well optimised. Shogun 2 has really built on the series, especially when it comes to the campaign map where there's several fantastic additions. The whole Agent system has been so well thought-out, that it's one of the most exciting parts of the game. The battles are visually stunning and the small but balanced selection of units is nice. However the game isn't without its flaws. The multiplayer is nothing less than completely broken, not only in its matchmaking and room system, but also with a lot of unit behavior. Were it to work however, the avatar campaign system is an annoyance and prevents you from just jumping in with friends and playing how you want. Friends vs AI has also seemingly been removed for unknown reasons. When it comes to single-player bugs, there are less but still some real game-breakers. In one of the naval tutorial battles the player camera can barely move, this also happens in one of the historical battles, except this time it can also move through the floor and you are suddenly produced with an insane amount of screen fuzz half-way through - needless to say this historical battle remains incomplete for me. In my first campaign, part way through my income glitched and I went from 9k one turn to 172k the next. Having started again, I got through the campaign finishing the victory conditions, but chose to continue playing until I owned every province on the map. I owned all but two, when my game crashed and trying to reload either my quick saves or game saves would result in a crash - needless to say I've given up on this save file. As for the 'improved' AI, well, actually it's fairly thick. Besides simple things like sending cavalry round the sides to flank you, it really doesn't try and counter you at all. Infact, in trying to make it smart, they've made it incredibly annoying, as often it will run to the nearest large hill and turtle there waiting for you to advance. Seeing as it often starts nearer to said hill, more than you do, you have no way of stopping it - then it's just a matter of letting your archers kill theirs until they run out of archer units and rush down the hill at you. In sieges it's no better. Diplomacy also feels pointless and I barely bothered with it on my second campaign game, as I knew that as soon as I had gathered any momentum, realm divide would happen and every clan would turn against me. From this point onwards you get -5 to diplomatic relations every turn and there's no coming back from it. All this aside, it's still a fantastic game that I've already put in 100 hours in a short period of time, and definitely still worth getting. However with more thought put into how to mix up the later SP campaign (as opposed to realm divide), greater depth to diplomatic relations, a better (and working) MP system, and 'real' intelligent AI, it could have been a 10. Hopfully the modding community can do a lot to help some of these points, and because there's already several mods addressing some of these issues - and others generally enhancing the campaign experience, a game that would get a score of 8 out of the box, gets brought up to a score of 9 thanks to the community. Expand
  32. Mar 15, 2011
    Best Total War title since MW2, arguably since Rome. Everything that was keeping the previous entries from being amazing was fixed. The AI has gone from ridiculously stupid to surprisingly clever. They'll lure you into traps and they know when to push and when to retreat. Naval battles are much more straightforward than in Empire/Napoleon, and so are significantly more action-packed. ThisBest Total War title since MW2, arguably since Rome. Everything that was keeping the previous entries from being amazing was fixed. The AI has gone from ridiculously stupid to surprisingly clever. They'll lure you into traps and they know when to push and when to retreat. Naval battles are much more straightforward than in Empire/Napoleon, and so are significantly more action-packed. This is helped by land masses and coasts, which provide a much more dynamic battlefield. The campaign is much more focused and has a pseudo-RPG feel, immersing you even more than before. The scale is smaller than Empire, but that much more detail has been packed into a smaller region. It's also worth mentioning that siege battles are much less straightforward and therefore much more fun than in traditional European-esque fights. Multiplayer was a great surprise. You can easily create a clan with your friends and find fights, moving over different regions and gaining new skills. As you progress, you can customize your general and his attributes with a rather large skill tree, you can add various perks to certain units (as well as damaging perks against your enemies), and ultimately you really do feel like you're leading a conquest against real people. The game isn't perfect, and most of its failings fall to the technical department. There are a few connection issues, but those are to be expected this early on. More disappointing are the visual settings. In its best, Shogun is easily the most beautiful TW, with amazing detail on each unit, great backdrops, and more detail all around, especially in the trees of the environment. Unfortunately, we won't get to see Shogun at its best for a while. Anti-Aliasing, higher Shader models, and DX11 features are completely absent from the release product; CA tells us that these will be added in a patch scheduled to arrive in 2-4 weeks. That's not really acceptable, and it feels like they were trying to meet a deadline. That aside, there are many optimization issues, especially with Phenom processors and AMD cards. Hopefully these will be addressed as well, if not by CA then by AMD and Nvidia.

Overall, this is a must-own for strategy fans, or fans of historical warfare in general. Easily the best Total War game in a long while.
  33. Mar 19, 2011
    The Total War series is a fine example of games that are progressively becoming better after each release. Shogun 2's refinement and improvement gives it a fresh look, but importantly satisfying game-play. The things I noticed were: great visuals and animations, improved streamline interface, and better AI. The Creative Assembly should be proud with heads held high as they can constantlyThe Total War series is a fine example of games that are progressively becoming better after each release. Shogun 2's refinement and improvement gives it a fresh look, but importantly satisfying game-play. The things I noticed were: great visuals and animations, improved streamline interface, and better AI. The Creative Assembly should be proud with heads held high as they can constantly produce great games towards the ever-so respectful Total War series. Expand
  34. Mar 17, 2011
    Total War has with it's newest installment made a fantastic game. They have listened to users of previous Total War games and created a beautiful mix between historical fact and in-game balance. The game AI is now more intelligent than ever both in the campaign and in the beautiful battles, which it surely lacked in battles in previous games. The difficulty settings are a lot more accurateTotal War has with it's newest installment made a fantastic game. They have listened to users of previous Total War games and created a beautiful mix between historical fact and in-game balance. The game AI is now more intelligent than ever both in the campaign and in the beautiful battles, which it surely lacked in battles in previous games. The difficulty settings are a lot more accurate now, making very hard - very hard!

My sole complain about the game is the different types of armies. The armies of the different clans are almost similar (containing the same units and skins) except the stats of the individual units, which creates a somewhat boring game in length. These units are however so fantastically made in both animation and model and the individual fights between the units look so real and unique.
    I do however suspect the release of DLC containing both new units and individual units for each faction.

One other problem with the game is that it needs patching and they should have waited a few weeks more before releasing. There are problems for people with starting up the game, errors in the game and the multiplayer is not working very well at the moment. It also lacks Direct X11 at the moment (along with AA).

This is a great game with the best gameplay and most beautiful battles made so far in the Total War series. If you have played one of the previous Total War games or loves strategy games either real time or turn-based (or both), then you should definitely try this one out.

Rating at the release of the game it should only receive 9/10, but as I expect it will be patched thoroughly, I rate it max.

I find that the game needs Steam to run is the best solution to anti-piracy and I do not think it is a problem as most people use Steam now a days.
    Also, to all you people who comment (and therefore rate the game) before trying it out - could you please wait until you have tried the game, otherwise you CANNOT rate the game and also you look like idiots!
  35. Apr 5, 2011
    This game contains so much content, it's simply immense. From the fully fleshed out tutorials to the campaign. Multiplayer is just the icing on the cake. Insane ranking and customizable armies. Oh, and the graphics? Unbeatable! The detail on the battlefield is incredible. Zooming in on troops exposes the vast textures. The infantry simply look like characters from Crysis. No detail lossThis game contains so much content, it's simply immense. From the fully fleshed out tutorials to the campaign. Multiplayer is just the icing on the cake. Insane ranking and customizable armies. Oh, and the graphics? Unbeatable! The detail on the battlefield is incredible. Zooming in on troops exposes the vast textures. The infantry simply look like characters from Crysis. No detail loss when zooming in. The physics are great, the size of the game is what baffles me. I love it

10/10.
  36. Mar 6, 2012
    I use it as a benchmark when I put new hardware in my PC, I play it anyways because it is fun. No reason why not to buy, plus they are coming out with a new game (DLC if you own this one) that allows Rifles to battle with samurai.
  37. Sep 3, 2013
    Why you should buy it:
    -Stunning graphics
    -Realistic feel to combat -Actual strategy is involved in the battles -Town management isn't too complex but is just enough to make you feel like you have real control -The two research trees make the game more dynamic and add a fantastic level to your ability to customize -Gameplay is fun, challenging, and makes you want to take "just one
    Why you should buy it:
    -Stunning graphics
    -Realistic feel to combat
    -Actual strategy is involved in the battles
    -Gameplay is fun, challenging, and makes you want to take "just one more turn"

Why you shouldn't buy it:
    -The time limit for the game means you have to play against the clock (although you can get a mod that changes this)
    -Graphically demanding battles
    -AI allies are relatively incompetent

Conclusion: I'd say if you enjoy turn-based strategy games, you REALLY should invest in this one.
  38. Mar 15, 2011
    My first impressions upon playing several hours is that the game is polished and it shows. There is dedication and soul put into this game from the well known and appreciated developer The Creative Assembly. While I don't play too many tbs and rts games, this has proven to be an enjoyable experience. If you're looking for a rts/tbs game or even a PC game in general, I'd definitely wouldMy first impressions upon playing several hours is that the game is polished and it shows. There is dedication and soul put into this game from the well known and appreciated developer The Creative Assembly. While I don't play too many tbs and rts games, this has proven to be an enjoyable experience. If you're looking for a rts/tbs game or even a PC game in general, I'd definitely would recommend this game to pick up as it is worth the price. Words can't really define nor express the amount of fun which is why this review comes off a bit short and if you'd excuse me, I'm off to play the game now. Expand
  39. Jan 4, 2013
    Truly one of the most addicting games I've ever played, yesterday I spent 13 hours straight in a Co-Op match with a random guy, and he bought the game 2 days ago, and we had a blast! I have been playing Shogun 2 for over a year and they still keep updating the game from time to time, multiplayer connection issues are ironed away. The only drawback for this game might be the public chatTruly one of the most addicting games I've ever played, yesterday I spent 13 hours straight in a Co-Op match with a random guy, and he bought the game 2 days ago, and we had a blast! I have been playing Shogun 2 for over a year and they still keep updating the game from time to time, multiplayer connection issues are ironed away. The only drawback for this game might be the public chat rooms are quiet most of the time : / There are still many people playing it, I logged at 3 AM and decided to play a custom match 4v4, and found one right away. Collapse
  40. Apr 7, 2011
    A stunning gaming achievement. The depth! the depth of it! I salute you for making this. You all deserve to be millionaires. I land an army via sea - in the centre of Japan, I make alliances with Date in the East and together we destroy central and western Japan - then realm divide! No need to worry, my ally has got my back and I have just taken the Shogunate. GENIUS!
  41. Sep 24, 2011
    Excellent RTS, The only problem i would say there was, was the lack of units. I realize they saved them for DLC's but for reasons I won't get into I was never able to get those. Therefore it bothered me that there where more things I could have had to work with and knew it before the DLC's ever game out because of the hints in the encyclopedia. Other than that though, I pretty much have noExcellent RTS, The only problem i would say there was, was the lack of units. I realize they saved them for DLC's but for reasons I won't get into I was never able to get those. Therefore it bothered me that there where more things I could have had to work with and knew it before the DLC's ever game out because of the hints in the encyclopedia. Other than that though, I pretty much have no complaints. I would perhaps like to see one day, if Total War made gorilla warfare more important rather than always just making large armies that steamroll their way through the enemies hopes and dreams in seconds. Expand
  42. Mar 21, 2011
    Excellent game. The apex of the Total War franchise. Despite some minor blemishes, such as ocassional CTD and mouse problems with the campaign map, it's a superb strategy game through and through. S2TW beats Civilization V hands down as strategy game.

Beautiful artist's design (kudos), beautiful landscapes, well-designed battle maps. All in all simply great. A must-play game for strategy fans.

Truly after a decade CA have become digital warfare masters, well done! ï½
  43. Oct 17, 2011
    It brings the fun you are looking for when you buy any of the Total War series, and it does it with style. Not the pinnacle of the series, I would say that Rome and even Medieval 2 were better, but still worth your money. It takes time to finish the single player campaign, re-playable, and the multi-player part is fun too. If you are a TW fun, this is a must for you!
  44. Nov 13, 2012
    Not just Strategy; Out of the 10,000+ games made, I think this is the best ever. It takes everything I loved from Rome:TW, and moves it to the current generation... I am so excited for Rome 2 that I just **** my pants.
  45. Sep 17, 2011
    I have never played Total War series, but it wasn
  46. Mar 16, 2011
    This is a great new installment to the total war franchise. They have successfully combined all their efforts into a completely enjoyable game. Great graphics (even better when the DX 11 patch comes out), a terrific artistic style. Tone of good voice overs, although the adviser gets real annoying real fast, I had to turn it off.
    I can only give the game a 9 though, because some of the
    I can only give the game a 9 though, because some of the same old TW quirks are still there, and I was hoping that in a game that is mostly just a cosmetic makeover, some of the engine would get tweaked. I wont go into detail, but if you are a hardcore TW gamer you know the annoyances I refer to. Still an awesome game and well worth it.
  47. TIZ
    May 18, 2012
    Amazing game overall. Graphics best to date DX10 or 11, Gameplay slow but that's the fun of it, Story elements are like most strategy games good and satisfying when completing. Lots of new and extra features, amazing 3D rotatable map, actual night time fighting and amazing fight animations. This game deserves nothing less than a 10/10
  48. Mar 5, 2013
    The best strategy game I've played since Civilization. I've probably put more hours into this game than any other, it has excellent replayability. Highly recommended for strategy fans.

It plays similarly to other Total War games, but with some improvements like better resource management and soldier management.
  49. Oct 5, 2011
    Although its replay value is less than that of previous TW games, what IS in the game is absolutely perfect. Shogun 2 has incredible gameplay, beautiful graphics, and the promise for amazing Total War games to come. I, personally, am excited for Rome II based on this engine.
  50. Apr 25, 2013
    To truly rate this game you should not only buy the the main version, but also spend some money on DLCs, unlocking all the clans and special units. They add quite a lot of diversity and make the game more interesting, creating new strategic options and giving you some extra challenge when adapting to certain enemy advantages. The cost of those add-ons, from which most we shouldn't have toTo truly rate this game you should not only buy the the main version, but also spend some money on DLCs, unlocking all the clans and special units. They add quite a lot of diversity and make the game more interesting, creating new strategic options and giving you some extra challenge when adapting to certain enemy advantages. The cost of those add-ons, from which most we shouldn't have to pay for IMO, are the main reason I won't give it 10. The game mechanics, graphics and pure joy battles will give you are incredible and it's worth every dime you spend on it, but still unlocking some of it's content is clearly overpriced and it's hard not to be at least a little disgusted with how Sega manages those. Expand
  51. Jun 13, 2011
    I was a huge fan of the first, and the other titles that followed. This is improved nicely, the AI is vastly improved, the economy is a little more advanced. It's not as easy to gain generals, I actually have to work at it. Don't forget to get married so that your character has heirs.. I sure hope that they remake Rome TW.
  52. Mar 22, 2011
    I've been following the Total War series since TW: Rome. I have to say Shogun 2 is probably the best TW series of the bunch. Playing on Normal, individual battles are generally not a challenge for the experienced player (most battles end with a heroic victory) but still, you can tell that the battlefield AI is much improved over previous releases. The campaign AI is a lot better too.
  53. Mar 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love that game! In comparison to its predecessors it's so much more realistic and the gameplay a lot more exciting. Spent a good couple of hours in anterooms playing that game! Expand
  54. Apr 20, 2011
    The best Total War game since Rome for me. The modes are largely the same with Multiplayer receiving substantial excellent changes, another change is the new inclusion of Legendary mode on the Campaign which is also a fantastic new feature for Total War veterans. Took me 7 attempts but I managed to complete it on legendary, which gives a great sense of achievement. The updates coming toThe best Total War game since Rome for me. The modes are largely the same with Multiplayer receiving substantial excellent changes, another change is the new inclusion of Legendary mode on the Campaign which is also a fantastic new feature for Total War veterans. Took me 7 attempts but I managed to complete it on legendary, which gives a great sense of achievement. The updates coming to the game are also great with a DX 11 patch on the way and more bug fixes for mostly multiplayer as we go along. Thanks Creative Assembly! Expand
  55. Mar 18, 2012
    Total War series game is the best of the best strategy game in human history,not one of ! I love Total War more than anything!Been playing since release, what can i say...i havnt slept...its pretty awesome, best total was since medieval 2! Looks amazing even tho theres no dx11 untill they patch it, then it'll be a 11/10!
  56. Mar 26, 2011
    Beautiful and well optimized, Smart, opportunist AIs (well most of the time, even on the easiest difficulty), This is the most enjoyable, that require critical thinking the most to date for me. achievement related unlockables for MP mode adds purpose to playing for achievements with many games lack of, Unit are balance: Full of rock paper scissors mechanisms. Not too casual nor tooBeautiful and well optimized, Smart, opportunist AIs (well most of the time, even on the easiest difficulty), This is the most enjoyable, that require critical thinking the most to date for me. achievement related unlockables for MP mode adds purpose to playing for achievements with many games lack of, Unit are balance: Full of rock paper scissors mechanisms. Not too casual nor too complex, loads of replay valve for SP, SP is more than enough but they also even complement us with decent MP too, little bit of everything with all goodness in it, I am going to enjoy this for long long time, I'm sure you will too. Expand
  57. Mar 16, 2011
    Everybody's already said it all: I am blown away. I started my first campaign on VH and quickly found myself outmaneuvered and over-run. Never in a total war game have I ever felt "in danger" of losing my starting provence. CA has redeemed itself without question.
  58. Mar 15, 2011
    It's out and the question is did The Creative Assembly pull it out the bag or flop. There's been a lot of negativity around Total War recently and everyoneâ
  59. Jun 1, 2011
    I have been a Total War fan since the beginning. This is easily the best Total War game in many ways, but serious bugs in the co-op multiplayer and a few AI problems keep this game from a perfect 10. Production values are of the highest caliber. The only real criticism I have (other than bugs, which I assume will be patched) is that the setting doesn't allow much variety; once you haveI have been a Total War fan since the beginning. This is easily the best Total War game in many ways, but serious bugs in the co-op multiplayer and a few AI problems keep this game from a perfect 10. Production values are of the highest caliber. The only real criticism I have (other than bugs, which I assume will be patched) is that the setting doesn't allow much variety; once you have played a few campaigns, you've seen everything. Still, even if you only play a few campaigns and ignore multiplayer entirely the game is worth the time and money invested. Expand
  60. Mar 16, 2011
    i had a hour yesterday after 7 hour download from steam woke up today waved good bye to partner and kids jumped on couldnt get off its amazingly good and bye a british developer no less rule britania thank god after my hugh dissapointment that was dragon age 2 thanks bioware. any way started as warrior monk clan after half hour was uterly destroyed restarted as sword based clan deciededi had a hour yesterday after 7 hour download from steam woke up today waved good bye to partner and kids jumped on couldnt get off its amazingly good and bye a british developer no less rule britania thank god after my hugh dissapointment that was dragon age 2 thanks bioware. any way started as warrior monk clan after half hour was uterly destroyed restarted as sword based clan decieded to try and capture a section of the map 8 provenices it worked and rpg exp system for characters and dynamio are amazing ps cant recomend enough Expand
  61. Mar 18, 2011
    Probably the best strategy game in last several years, its just amazing, combat is great, art is amazing, music is fantastic, multiplayer is good, i dunno what else to add,except its worth money :)
  62. Apr 14, 2011
    A great comeback to the original Total War games! The music has Jeff Van Dyck back which is great since, he's music always made up a good Total War game very enjoyable and emotional. The battles are stunning to look at, the multiplayer just gets better, and the singleplayer campaign will get you sucked in for a very, very long time! It is definitely worth your money, Creative Assembly hasA great comeback to the original Total War games! The music has Jeff Van Dyck back which is great since, he's music always made up a good Total War game very enjoyable and emotional. The battles are stunning to look at, the multiplayer just gets better, and the singleplayer campaign will get you sucked in for a very, very long time! It is definitely worth your money, Creative Assembly has done a fantastic job on this game! We can only hope for them to continue their work forth. Expand
  63. Aug 25, 2011
    I have played every Total War game that has been released so far since the original Shogun TW and I can tell you that in my opinion this is by far the best. The graphics are beautiful, the individual units are lovingly detailed and the campaign is really enjoyable. I have so far got 162 hours of playtime out of this game according to my steam profile which is by far more than you'll getI have played every Total War game that has been released so far since the original Shogun TW and I can tell you that in my opinion this is by far the best. The graphics are beautiful, the individual units are lovingly detailed and the campaign is really enjoyable. I have so far got 162 hours of playtime out of this game according to my steam profile which is by far more than you'll get from playing most other games. In terms of things the game has done really well I would cite the AI as being very good, especially on the harder difficulties. The historical research that has gone into the game is also impressive and so is the gameplay as a whole. For me, this game would easily get a 10/10 but there are a few things which let it down. The multiplayer and co-op campaigns are hopelessly broken and months later Creative Assembly has still not fixed this problem which is shocking in itself. Similarly the AI has a tendency to spam archer units (which seems to b a problem with every total war game so far actually), which results in some very annoying battles especially as archers seem to be rather over-powered in the game. However, despite that issue the AI, as I previously mentioned, is on the whole very good. If CA were to fix these problems then for me this would be a perfect game. However, part of the reason I'm writing this review is due to glancing at the "Negative" reviews below. While some raise valid points others are just plainly ridiculous. For example one person has given it a 2 after playing it for over 350 hours and cites his reason for this as "lack of replay value". This begs the question, "what was he doing for those 350 hours?"! Staring at the title screen? I have played the game for less than half that amount of time and have finished and replayed it over 8 times which is hardly a negligible amount and more than almost any other game. Other criticisms include the lack of unit types, this I find strange. While in most total war games the concept is nation against nation, with all the differences in military development, equipment and strategy that would entail. However, Shogun 2 is a country in the grip of civil war. There would not be dramatically different units for each clan as their military development would generally be along the same lines as their neighbouring provinces. It would be like expecting Sussex and Kent to have dramatically different units in a theoretical England Total War or expecting Rhode Island and Connecticut to be dramatically different in a hypothetical America Total War. The small unit varieties of Shogun 2 are part of what makes it realistic. Similarly, having said that, it's not that there is a lack of unit variety in the game anyway. There are less unit types than previous Total War games certainly but that is not the same as there not being any variety at all, there is just the right amount of variety and for those who disagree there is DLC which offers more units at a cheap price. Similarly, a lot of the complaints are from people who simply can't figure out how to play the game properly. For example, with diplomacy I was also slightly frustrated with it when I began playing but as I played the game more I figured out how to use it properly and I no longer have any problems with it. I feel it's unfair to blame the game for your own lack of ability when playing it. In summary, the game is great but not without flaws. Ignore a lot of the moaning you hear about the game, some is valid and some is not. Engage your brain to realise the difference. However, do NOT buy this game if a large part of your motivation behind purchasing it is the multiplayer, you will be very disappointed. DO buy this game if you have enjoyed the single player campaign of the other Total War games and don't mind a little bit of extra strategy involved in the gameplay. Expand
  64. Oct 6, 2013
    this game is truly the pinnacle of Total war, and all strategy games. Awesome graphics, create campaign map, this is a release to be proud off. Currently clocked 360 hours and even the release of Rome 2 isn't slowing me down.
  65. Mar 20, 2014
    Rich with entertaining features, beautifully designed, and an overall excellent experience. Plays just as a Total War game should, even above the elevated standards of the franchise. Replaying this game is the perfect way to remind yourself how great TW can be in the aftermath of the Rome II debacle.
  66. Mar 24, 2011
    A sick, sick game. Highly recommended. I might even use some of the multiplayer features. Certainly the best effort out of the three i've played (ETW & NTW being the others). Haven't hit any bugs either, which was my main concern with the last two Empire games. Do yourself a favor and buy it
  67. Tig
    Mar 30, 2011
    Shogun 2 is the best RTS/TB game ever made. It's polished, beautiful, fun and has very good value for a buck ratio. I could have easily given it 10/10 but game has one big flaw. My PC has 3gb of RAM and there's one more gb on my video card. Still it takes no less than 50s to load main menu, then another 20-30s to load campaign map, 30s-1min to enter battle and 30s to leave it. Also youShogun 2 is the best RTS/TB game ever made. It's polished, beautiful, fun and has very good value for a buck ratio. I could have easily given it 10/10 but game has one big flaw. My PC has 3gb of RAM and there's one more gb on my video card. Still it takes no less than 50s to load main menu, then another 20-30s to load campaign map, 30s-1min to enter battle and 30s to leave it. Also you have to wait good 15-20s every turn till AI opponents finish their moves. All of this adds up and game becomes a huge waste of time that is unless you bring a book and read it while game is loading something. I know, Empire was slow on this too, but not as much. I know that this problem could be solved by adding extra 4gbs of RAM but I can't afford system like that atm. Other than long loading times, game runs smooth, way better than Empire. Steady fps on the campaign and battle maps and all of this with improved graphics. So yeah its not 10/10 from me but it deserves strong 9/10. Expand
  68. Mar 17, 2011
    Beautiful game. I never played any of the total war games, I wanted too just never got the time. Now out comes a shiny new one and I couldn't resist. It is so immersible and beautiful. A few glitches here and there but the team have already sent out a patch for the PC, in 2 days? Bravo.
    I recommend indeed. The attention to detail is very nice and treats the material with respect. The battles are intense, I found myself biting my nails in the hope my plan of attack would work in some cases :)
  69. Mar 15, 2011
  70. Mar 20, 2011
    The latest game in the Total War series. Back to the roots were Creative Assembly started. Back to the bloodiest era in Japans history. Do you have what it takes to be the new Shogun and rule Japan.
    Beautiful graphics soon to support DX10.1 and DX11 and with upgraded AI that will give you a real challenge and numerous headaches.
    Watch Samurai's and ninja's fight in epic battles!
  71. Apr 28, 2011
    A brilliant game. Innovative. Always leaving us stunned.
    2 Shogun: Total War deserves a standing ovation on its graphics, gameplay, technical capacity and playable and interesting itinerary grudante. But not yet overcome the almost perfect game from Blizzard. The interesting game: 9 / 10
  72. May 14, 2011
    Great game.... Thank you CA for an awesome game graphics are superb, gameplay is very awesome, what more can you ask for? if you like the total war series then dont even hesitate to buy this game.
  73. Jul 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Completely amazing. Seeing how this game either has 10-9 or 1-5 reviews shows how some people are in denial. And everyone complaining about the lack of different units, different cultures and different combat types is missing logic in their brains, and is probably rating every good review down.

Like many people, I was waiting for this game with a lot of expectation. The best thing as always, is the graphics. The best I have seen in a game so far. The combat couldn't be better. The AI is also heavily improved and almost unbeatable in the campaign map. Anyone complaining of it being too easy probably doesn't realize there's other levels besides "easy". The unit variety isn't as huge as it used to be, but besides being realistical, it also adds to the strategic value. The new level system is also very good along with creating your own general. Basically every battle has the potential to become completely epic. It does has it's flaws. Personally the main one is the lack of turns. 50 turns isn't enough to develop everything at your own pace and once you expand enough, ever other clan declares war on you. Putting you in a 10 vs 1 usually. The avatar system is also only available in multiplayer. Making the feature useless for those who dislike competition. However, the game is very enjoyable overall. And a must have for any PC player that enjoys REAL strategy.
  74. Sep 5, 2013
    Ah, dear Shogun 2. After playing the mess that is Total War Rome 2, I am constantly reminded of the things you did right and your greatness.

Music, battles, theme, voices, blood pack DLC, Rock Paper Scissors elements, agents, family trees, skill trees, the list goes on. The only fault I can think of is the over-reliance on foreign trade points. Other than that, my dear Hojo clan

The only fault I can think of is the over-reliance on foreign trade points.

Other than that, my dear Hojo clan and my first memories of this game shall remain my favorite of all the Total War series!
  75. Sep 5, 2013
    If you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have youIf you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have you think about the future of your clan, truly a thinking man's game, have Christianity spread through your lands and you may have a split in society, some saying you have lost your tradition, others praising you for open mindedness. Anyways this is a great buy! Expand
  76. Mar 15, 2011
    Gosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted with Asian history, I foundGosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted with Asian history, I found the game to be absolutely delightful and a feast to all the senses! One should rush out immediately and purchase this game with no delay. Hurrah for all the chaps at The Creative Assembly. Well done, boys! Expand
  77. Mar 16, 2011
    Rupert_Smythe
    Mar 15, 2011
    10 Gosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted
    Rupert_Smythe
    Mar 15, 2011
    Gosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted with Asian history, I found the game to be absolutely delightful and a feast to all the senses! One should rush out immediately and purchase this game with no delay. Hurrah for all the chaps at The Creative Assembly. Well done, boys!â
  78. Mar 20, 2011
    Shogun 2 gives you an intense strategy game. With AI that's actually clever compared to the older series where it still had major problems navigating over water, you'll find yourself caught by surprises on the campaign map and in real-time battles. There still are plenty of units to make a diversive army, but not as much as in Empire Total War. New RPG elements have been introduced thatShogun 2 gives you an intense strategy game. With AI that's actually clever compared to the older series where it still had major problems navigating over water, you'll find yourself caught by surprises on the campaign map and in real-time battles. There still are plenty of units to make a diversive army, but not as much as in Empire Total War. New RPG elements have been introduced that makes costumisation of your agents and commanders possible to play them the way you want.

Multiplayer has been totally revisioned, and actually encourages long-term progression by a sort of "Avatar" system that awards you unlocks with each battle you can win on a "multiplayer campaign map".

There's also a two player coop campaign mode that I personally find oustanding to play, but its tortured with desync problems at the time I write this (21 march 2011). Hopefully these bugs get polished out soon enough, as this is the only game-breaking thing I found.

Pro's/Con's

+ Amazing visuals with unique art
    + More intelligent AI
    + Various new RPG elements that add depth

- Suffers from desync problems on the online 2 player coop campaign
  79. sdg
    Mar 21, 2011
    Marvelous game. Love the new RPG elements and land battles. Especially love the animation of the archers, their shooting (needles) and the sound/music.

Unhappy with the naval war bugs and turn limit of the game (too short). I mean, why not 6 or 8 turn a year, so that the startegy can be planned better. One always has an eye on the year while going about it.
  80. Mar 22, 2011
    Pros: classic Total War game play merged with RPG elements to yield a very memorable & enjoyable gaming experience. You actually feel like you're building your own empire and you will care about the generals & family members under your command. Agents (ninjas, monks, etc.) are also more useful than before, and you similarly will care about their actions and fate. And who can forget thePros: classic Total War game play merged with RPG elements to yield a very memorable & enjoyable gaming experience. You actually feel like you're building your own empire and you will care about the generals & family members under your command. Agents (ninjas, monks, etc.) are also more useful than before, and you similarly will care about their actions and fate. And who can forget the epic battles, which are more beautiful than ever. Cons: minor stuttering when scrolling across the campaign map; not as bad as Empire Total War, but still present. No DX11 support yet. Expand
  81. Mar 22, 2011
    After the somewhat disapointing Empire and Napoleon games this is almost exactly what I had hoped for. Everything seems more polished than in the former games. I especially like the new interface look as well as the strategic map. Management of your clan and army is a lot more comfortable. The graphics are very good as expected. My biggest gripe with the predecessors was the battle AIAfter the somewhat disapointing Empire and Napoleon games this is almost exactly what I had hoped for. Everything seems more polished than in the former games. I especially like the new interface look as well as the strategic map. Management of your clan and army is a lot more comfortable. The graphics are very good as expected. My biggest gripe with the predecessors was the battle AI which seems to have improved quite a bit, but unfortunately is still lacking and sometimes acts very strangely. Still this game can definitely be recommended for anybody interested in strategy. Expand
  82. Mar 22, 2011
    After playing Shogun: 2, I understand why there has been some commotion about the Total War series, and it has deeply appealed to the turn-based strategy gamer in me who is often turned off by an RTS genre that sometimes feels like it hasn't evolved much from Dune II (until Company of Heroes hit the decks). Hearkening back to the Turn-Based-RTS formula that reminded me of the modernAfter playing Shogun: 2, I understand why there has been some commotion about the Total War series, and it has deeply appealed to the turn-based strategy gamer in me who is often turned off by an RTS genre that sometimes feels like it hasn't evolved much from Dune II (until Company of Heroes hit the decks). Hearkening back to the Turn-Based-RTS formula that reminded me of the modern progression of Centurion: Defender of Rome, Shogun: 2 has fantastic visuals, voice acting, and most importantly, gameplay. Battles are harsh and dynamic, diplomacy is engaging and useful, and true of any real contest of military might it is ultimately supply lines (Read: Economy) that spells victory. But while overwhelming masses of spear-wielding ashigaru may compensate for poorly executed flanking attacks, and a robust economy can compensate for an incompetent general, it is in these compelling tactical exchanges in various terrain and weather conditions that Shogun: 2 shines. In fact, compelling is an excellent descriptor for the sum total of Shogun: 2. Highly recommended, check it out. Expand
  83. Sep 4, 2011
    Just imagine its the late nineties and a flurry of edgy "modern" RTS games were taking up much of our sleeping time, if anyone could predict where the strategy industry would have been in 2011 im sure nobody would have conceived the scale of professionalism that the total war series have come to achieve! The series are quite simply the most perfect example of Total War! (Yes i am a fanboy......)
  84. Feb 11, 2012
    My first total war game was Empire Total War a while back. Ever since I got it I became hooked on the series. Iv'e seen a lot of **** reviews for this same so far, and I have to strongly disagree with what they are saying. This is by far the best total war game that has come out yet. The graphics are amazing and pretty much look real with light bloom from a distance. The newMy first total war game was Empire Total War a while back. Ever since I got it I became hooked on the series. Iv'e seen a lot of **** reviews for this same so far, and I have to strongly disagree with what they are saying. This is by far the best total war game that has come out yet. The graphics are amazing and pretty much look real with light bloom from a distance. The new multi-player concept of making your own clan is genius and it is a game you will always go back to. I would recommend this to any strategy gamer because of its challenging concepts and high replay value. I do not recommend it for someone just starting to play total war or general strategy due to its challenging gameplay. Expand
  85. Oct 6, 2012
    It's nice that the Creative A. went back to japan again, i love that time in which the samurai ruled. There are not many changes compared to previous parts but everything is perfected. I give it a 9 because, like the first shogun, this game draws you into a piece of history, it has great fitting music and the great gameplay. Graphics are nice but I don't think that is a priority to thisIt's nice that the Creative A. went back to japan again, i love that time in which the samurai ruled. There are not many changes compared to previous parts but everything is perfected. I give it a 9 because, like the first shogun, this game draws you into a piece of history, it has great fitting music and the great gameplay. Graphics are nice but I don't think that is a priority to this genre. This game will keep me busy for a while. Expand
  86. Sep 11, 2013
    I love to play it.
    You have many different units and clans you can play. Also you must organize your towns (when you play campaign) very good otherwise you get rebellions etc.
    The AI is very very good (battle and campaign). Last time i played campaign on hard, one clan nearly took over the whole country. The graphic is very good too, you can choose between Dx 9 or 11. I play it on 11
    I love to play it.
    The graphic is very good too, you can choose between Dx 9 or 11. I play it on 11 with all settings on the highest option and its very nice to see.
  87. Sep 5, 2013
    After playing all of the Total War games, I could easily crown this the reigning champion.

Its easy to admire the wonderful graphics and solid UI, but where it shines is in its subtle aspects (Historical accuracy, the way agents and armies/towns synergies, etc). There is a completeness to the gameplay that is hard to capture and present to an audience. Overall, Shogun is best at what

There is a completeness to the gameplay that is hard to capture and present to an audience. Overall, Shogun is best at what it does. So do yourself a favor and get this one.
  88. Mar 17, 2011
    Excellent addition to an excellent series (well, Empire had some major hiccups upon release). Everything is improved, from the a.i. to the campaign map. The game is simply more fine tuned. The lack of AA may be a little irksome to some, but the game itself more than makes up for it.
  89. Mar 20, 2011
    Great game, Great visuals. AI is a lot smarter than previous Total War games. Overall i give this a 10 for game play, strategy, and for the fact that it is historically correct (Unit and building wise, also the clan names).And i love how General speeches before battle are back again! Its fun, and will keep you up for hours! I kept saying to myself at 4am (One more turn then bed) 5am, (OneGreat game, Great visuals. AI is a lot smarter than previous Total War games. Overall i give this a 10 for game play, strategy, and for the fact that it is historically correct (Unit and building wise, also the clan names).And i love how General speeches before battle are back again! Its fun, and will keep you up for hours! I kept saying to myself at 4am (One more turn then bed) 5am, (One more turn then bed) 6am, (One more turn then bed). Here it is now 8am and i just stopped playing because my eyes are square and my nose is bleeding a little (Joking about the nose bleed! Thought it might give the review a more of a hard core gamer believability, LoL). Anyway, Enjoy this game its worth every dollar. Once again Creative Assembly do the PC Gaming community a Great deed and release another fantastic title that will have you hooked until the next one is released. Expand
  90. Apr 1, 2011
    The multiplayer campaign is completely broken. I do not know anyone who has been able to complete it due to de-sync issues. Check the Total War forums MPC thread...everyone gets it. This problem has been present since the beta in Empire Total War and in Napoleon Total War, still has not been fixed...

Moving to the online multiplayer. Countless bugs, 2v2 matching is a joke. Somehow it matches 2v1, 2v0, 3v1, 4v0. After a great many efforts you might get into a 2v2...Wait! There is more!...You selected to play a standard land battle? NOPE, your playing a siege battle or a naval battles. The other team is just confused as they also did not select this game type. What the hell? You really have no idea what is going to happen if you and some buddies want to play together.

Lets play 1 vs 1 battles and just have some little fights with one another....Ow, we cannot use any of the units unless we unlock them online, games we play on LAN count towards our online profiles? Ah, their is a 'Classic Mode' button we can tick allowing us access to all units and our battles wont be recorded online, lets tick that....WTF, my CPU usage is at 100% (Game breaking button). So you cannot play classic 1v1 battles either. Also, the CPU is not actually at 100%, its 25% as the game does not seem to support more than one core, at the menu anyway.

Ok, so I bought this game to play with my brother on the Multiplayer campaign...I cannot, ok lets move on and play 2v2 online matches...OK, that does not work either...well, lets play on this new clan conquest map they have created and fight to control it online. We are not playing together, but at least we are both fighting for the same goal?

Now on to the 1v1 to conquer regions on this conquest map. It seems to be a completely lucky dip as to how skilled the player I am against is, some charge their general alone straight into my army, some are master tacticians I could not hope to defeat. Others are happy to sit on top of a hill with their sniper cannons and shoot my general from across the map. One thing stays the same though, if I am about to beat the other player, they push ALT+F4. Result: Neither party Wins or Loses. Meaning I have to go and look for another game again. What a waste of even more of my time.

I could go on forever about the bugs I am getting. The latest one means if I click a particular button in the multiplayer menu which is quite important I CTD, someone uploaded a video of this issue. (Clan Competition button, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uFeORZnRAQ). So I cannot see my online clans multiplayer progress anymore/where we are fighting...yay.

Summary: If you want to play multiplayer, which is why I bought the game and what this review is solely aimed at... for the love of god do not buy this game.

If you are just going to play single player, this is the greatest Total War since Rome, incredible detail to everything and an all round fantastic game...if only the multiplayer component worked.
  91. Mar 21, 2011
    After playing all of the TW games, I could easily crown this the reigning champ. Its easy to admire the wonderful graphics and solid UI, but when you get into the subtle aspects of the game it just shines. There is a completeness to the game play that is extremely hard to capture and present to an audience. While overall I feel that Shogun is the best at what it does, I can't help butAfter playing all of the TW games, I could easily crown this the reigning champ. Its easy to admire the wonderful graphics and solid UI, but when you get into the subtle aspects of the game it just shines. There is a completeness to the game play that is extremely hard to capture and present to an audience. While overall I feel that Shogun is the best at what it does, I can't help but wonder if there were possibilities to go down a new route with the franchise. I shouldn't complain about greatness, so do yourself a favor and go get this bad boy. Expand
  92. Apr 8, 2011
    I have been playing Total War games since the original Shogun back in 2000. Despite some hitches along the way I am a totally hooked fan of the TW genre. I am about half way through my first campaign in Shogun 2 and I can only say - EXCELLENT. The game demonstrates lessons learned from the previous two TW's and captures the heart and essence (I feel) of warfare in 16th Century Japan. ItI have been playing Total War games since the original Shogun back in 2000. Despite some hitches along the way I am a totally hooked fan of the TW genre. I am about half way through my first campaign in Shogun 2 and I can only say - EXCELLENT. The game demonstrates lessons learned from the previous two TW's and captures the heart and essence (I feel) of warfare in 16th Century Japan. It was so much more than just war all the time and the game gives me, at least, a real 'feel' of the period. My only criticism - the strategic screen is quite 'sticky' ... Which is a shame, but it may be my PC. However, both Empire and Napoleon play fine. Top marks for this game - I am thoroughly hooked. Expand
  93. Mar 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Expand
  94. Mar 25, 2011
    According to tradition in the modern gaming industry, the game went unfinished. Global work on multiplayer, interesting game mechanics, great atmosphere, almost historical accuracy and bugs, bugs, bugs, which, however, do not interfere with enjoyment of the gameplay.

and yes, the game is a little loose powder! Personally, I'm a horror as happy.
  95. Mar 16, 2011
    I have played every single total war game since the original Shogun: Total War. That being said, this game is easily one of the best ever. It brings back the best parts of Empire while removing the worst all the while bringing a welcomed stylized edge to the game. All in all Total War does it again and makes me realize why I have always played their games over the Civ games.
  96. Mar 17, 2011
    I have always enjoyed the Total War series, since the first time I tried Rome: Total War. The series has had some questionable expansions but all and all it have been a great RTS serie. But when I played Empire: Total War, I somehow got disappointed. It was no longer about Infantry vs. archers vs. cavalry, which always have been the simple core of the games. instead you had only infantryI have always enjoyed the Total War series, since the first time I tried Rome: Total War. The series has had some questionable expansions but all and all it have been a great RTS serie. But when I played Empire: Total War, I somehow got disappointed. It was no longer about Infantry vs. archers vs. cavalry, which always have been the simple core of the games. instead you had only infantry and some bad cavalry. The Map was to big and there where no "easy" factions.

With Shogun 2 the Creativ Assembly have taken a step back and is no more focused about the all way of gameplay. Shogun 2 is a great game... the gameplay is simple, the looks are nice and the game just works. Everything is understandable and makes sense. the only thing that pulls this game down is the sometime stupid AI and the errors in multiplayer.

I recommend this game for everybody who's interested in RTS's.
  97. Mar 17, 2011
    An excellent game. Have played most of the previous total war games, however Empire and Napoleon where not to liking game mechanics wise - this game is more a kin to the earlier total war installments. Particular highlight of this game would include the multiplayer experience as this is pretty well thought out. I honestly can't fault much, if anything, with this game.
  98. Mar 17, 2011
    I've been on the line on the Total War series for a few years. After playing the demo for Napoelon, i wasnt convinced. When the first videos of Shogun 2 were shown I was very interested. I was born in Japan and always enjoyed it's history and culture so the location was a plus. Then the demo came out, and because of the demo I bought the game. The graphics, combat, scenery, environment,I've been on the line on the Total War series for a few years. After playing the demo for Napoelon, i wasnt convinced. When the first videos of Shogun 2 were shown I was very interested. I was born in Japan and always enjoyed it's history and culture so the location was a plus. Then the demo came out, and because of the demo I bought the game. The graphics, combat, scenery, environment, music, voices, everything is just perfect for this game. Unlike other RTS games that are purely based on hotkey memorization and clicking faster than your enemy, this game requires THINKING faster and smarter and clicking faster doesn't mean anywhere near as much. The co-op campaign is also great fun if you have someone that will take the time to play with you. The only problem I've had with the game is purely my own, the enemy is too smart for me at my current skill level-and that's a good thing. Expand
  99. Mar 18, 2011
    The Total War series returns. Welcome back! I'm happy to announce that with Shogun 2, the Total War series is back on track. It fully captures the feudal Japan we all wanted to re-visit from the first Shogun. It sports great graphics, with DX11 on the way in a future patch, high-quality sfx and japanese inspired music. Thousands of units can be fielded at once for epic battles. The unitThe Total War series returns. Welcome back! I'm happy to announce that with Shogun 2, the Total War series is back on track. It fully captures the feudal Japan we all wanted to re-visit from the first Shogun. It sports great graphics, with DX11 on the way in a future patch, high-quality sfx and japanese inspired music. Thousands of units can be fielded at once for epic battles. The unit complexity and diversity is lowered from Empire/Napoleon. Now there are set units which can be upgraded and which can gain veterancy. This provides a much more understandable and enjoyable gameplay. Unit stats, pros/cons are explained by a simple mouse-over. Fantastic! Now you have the data you need in order to make those crucial in-battle decisions.

The 3d map is back and better than ever with its functionality increased.

Summary: You need to play Shogun 2. It is a way more accessible game than the previous entries to the Total War series. The best part about that is that it doesn't sacrifice the addictive gameplay in order to achieve that effect. Support the developers. We want to see the series continue and our minds blown again and again. There is nothing like Total War.
  100. Apr 9, 2011
    the best total war so far. i have owned every total war game since shogun 1, and this just blows them out of the water.(well almost sinks Rome) graphics: insane. gameplay: refined. style: perfect. ninjas: ninjas. buy this game.
    (really this game would be worth it just for the ninjas)
  101. Jan 4, 2013

1. Jul 14, 2011
    There is a je ne sais quoi elegance on how the game is presented and how well put together the game as an entire corpus is. Although it's still mired by some version 1.0 bugs, Shogun is highly playable and deserves a place on any Total War fan's hard drive.
    Beautiful, complex and varied historical strategy which offers hours of fun in single player and multiplayer modes. [Issue#203]
    The mix of turn based strategy (with economical, political and diplomatic ramifications) and real time battles is still wonderful, but the need to balance timing and aggression is more important than ever. Aggressive players will feel a little cheated, while diplomats will hate Realm Divide stage. Still, Total War was always about realism and the AI's scripted actions make logical and historical sense.