• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 15, 2011
8.3

1. Mar 17, 2011
    Excellent addition to an excellent series (well, Empire had some major hiccups upon release). Everything is improved, from the a.i. to the campaign map. The game is simply more fine tuned. The lack of AA may be a little irksome to some, but the game itself more than makes up for it.
  2. Mar 20, 2011
    Great game, Great visuals. AI is a lot smarter than previous Total War games. Overall i give this a 10 for game play, strategy, and for the fact that it is historically correct (Unit and building wise, also the clan names).And i love how General speeches before battle are back again! Its fun, and will keep you up for hours! I kept saying to myself at 4am (One more turn then bed) 5am, (One more turn then bed) 6am, (One more turn then bed). Here it is now 8am and i just stopped playing because my eyes are square and my nose is bleeding a little (Joking about the nose bleed! Thought it might give the review a more of a hard core gamer believability, LoL). Anyway, Enjoy this game its worth every dollar. Once again Creative Assembly do the PC Gaming community a Great deed and release another fantastic title that will have you hooked until the next one is released. Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2011
    GOTY 2011 for strategy of the year 2011. Advanced land and naval battles. Markedly better AI on a map and on battlefield. Good avatar and inovative multiplayer. 10/10!
  4. Mar 26, 2011
    Beautiful and well optimized, Smart, opportunist AIs (well most of the time, even on the easiest difficulty), This is the most enjoyable, that require critical thinking the most to date for me. achievement related unlockables for MP mode adds purpose to playing for achievements with many games lack of, Unit are balance: Full of rock paper scissors mechanisms. Not too casual nor too complex, loads of replay valve for SP, SP is more than enough but they also even complement us with decent MP too, little bit of everything with all goodness in it, I am going to enjoy this for long long time, I'm sure you will too. Expand
  5. Mar 19, 2011
    The Total War series is a fine example of games that are progressively becoming better after each release. Shogun 2's refinement and improvement gives it a fresh look, but importantly satisfying game-play. The things I noticed were: great visuals and animations, improved streamline interface, and better AI. The Creative Assembly should be proud with heads held high as they can constantly produce great games towards the ever-so respectful Total War series. Expand
  6. Mar 19, 2011
    I'm going to keep this simple because no one would read this long review when there are a ton of people who are basically saying the same thing I would say. Amazing, amazing game, and the best time for people who aren't fans of the series to give it another look. Graphics = top notch, the best in any RTS/Turn based strategy. Gameplay = A very addictive experience. Really makes me feel like I'm commanding my troops in battle or leading my clan to victory on the campaign map. Sounds = Hey, if you like Japanese themed sound and music then this game has the best. If not, then one of the beauties if this game might be truly lost on you. Multiplayer = I can honestly say I haven't even tried it out. For a $50 release, I am happy with it not having any multiplayer what so over. This game has everything, as far as multiplayer goes it's just an added bonus. I heard mixed things about it anyway, so my only advice is that you check it out for everything else first and then see if you'd really like to get trounced in multiplayer before you go that route ;) All that being said, amazing amazing game... one of my favorites, and I'm going to be hooked on this for a long time I think. Awesome job CA! You guys rock! 11/10 if I could ;) Expand
  7. Apr 1, 2011
    The multiplayer campaign is completely broken. I do not know anyone who has been able to complete it due to de-sync issues. Check the Total War forums MPC thread...everyone gets it. This problem has been present since the beta in Empire Total War and in Napoleon Total War, still has not been fixed...

Moving to the online multiplayer. Countless bugs, 2v2 matching is a joke. Somehow it
    matches 2v1, 2v0, 3v1, 4v0. After a great many efforts you might get into a 2v2...Wait! There is more!...You selected to play a standard land battle? NOPE, your playing a siege battle or a naval battles. The other team is just confused as they also did not select this game type. What the hell? You really have no idea what is going to happen if you and some buddies want to play together.

Lets play 1 vs 1 battles and just have some little fights with one another....Ow, we cannot use any of the units unless we unlock them online, games we play on LAN count towards our online profiles? Ah, their is a 'Classic Mode' button we can tick allowing us access to all units and our battles wont be recorded online, lets tick that....WTF, my CPU usage is at 100% (Game breaking button). So you cannot play classic 1v1 battles either. Also, the CPU is not actually at 100%, its 25% as the game does not seem to support more than one core, at the menu anyway.

Ok, so I bought this game to play with my brother on the Multiplayer campaign...I cannot, ok lets move on and play 2v2 online matches...OK, that does not work either...well, lets play on this new clan conquest map they have created and fight to control it online. We are not playing together, but at least we are both fighting for the same goal?

Now on to the 1v1 to conquer regions on this conquest map. It seems to be a completely lucky dip as to how skilled the player I am against is, some charge their general alone straight into my army, some are master tacticians I could not hope to defeat. Others are happy to sit on top of a hill with their sniper cannons and shoot my general from across the map. One thing stays the same though, if I am about to beat the other player, they push ALT+F4. Result: Neither party Wins or Loses. Meaning I have to go and look for another game again. What a waste of even more of my time.

I could go on forever about the bugs I am getting. The latest one means if I click a particular button in the multiplayer menu which is quite important I CTD, someone uploaded a video of this issue. (Clan Competition button, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uFeORZnRAQ). So I cannot see my online clans multiplayer progress anymore/where we are fighting...yay.

Summary: If you want to play multiplayer, which is why I bought the game and what this review is solely aimed at... for the love of god do not buy this game.

If you are just going to play single player, this is the greatest Total War since Rome, incredible detail to everything and an all round fantastic game...if only the multiplayer component worked.
  8. Sep 17, 2011
    I have never played Total War series, but it wasn
  9. Mar 15, 2011
    My first impressions upon playing several hours is that the game is polished and it shows. There is dedication and soul put into this game from the well known and appreciated developer The Creative Assembly. While I don't play too many tbs and rts games, this has proven to be an enjoyable experience. If you're looking for a rts/tbs game or even a PC game in general, I'd definitely would recommend this game to pick up as it is worth the price. Words can't really define nor express the amount of fun which is why this review comes off a bit short and if you'd excuse me, I'm off to play the game now. Expand
  10. Mar 24, 2011
    A sick, sick game. Highly recommended. I might even use some of the multiplayer features. Certainly the best effort out of the three i've played (ETW & NTW being the others). Haven't hit any bugs either, which was my main concern with the last two Empire games. Do yourself a favor and buy it
  11. Apr 8, 2011
    I have been playing Total War games since the original Shogun back in 2000. Despite some hitches along the way I am a totally hooked fan of the TW genre. I am about half way through my first campaign in Shogun 2 and I can only say - EXCELLENT. The game demonstrates lessons learned from the previous two TW's and captures the heart and essence (I feel) of warfare in 16th Century Japan. It was so much more than just war all the time and the game gives me, at least, a real 'feel' of the period. My only criticism - the strategic screen is quite 'sticky' ... Which is a shame, but it may be my PC. However, both Empire and Napoleon play fine. Top marks for this game - I am thoroughly hooked. Expand
  12. May 20, 2011
    Love this game. I have over 100 hours played now (in single player). Call me crazy if you will, but there's something about games like this that are addicting to me.

Now I just wish they'd start up the Warhammer Dark Omen series again (completely different setting, but the feel of the combat is somewhat similar). Total War Fantasy game, that would rock.
  13. Apr 7, 2011
    A stunning gaming achievement. The depth! the depth of it! I salute you for making this. You all deserve to be millionaires. I land an army via sea - in the centre of Japan, I make alliances with Date in the East and together we destroy central and western Japan - then realm divide! No need to worry, my ally has got my back and I have just taken the Shogunate. GENIUS!
  14. Mar 15, 2011
    Gosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted with Asian history, I found the game to be absolutely delightful and a feast to all the senses! One should rush out immediately and purchase this game with no delay. Hurrah for all the chaps at The Creative Assembly. Well done, boys! Expand
  15. Mar 16, 2011
    Everybody's already said it all: I am blown away. I started my first campaign on VH and quickly found myself outmaneuvered and over-run. Never in a total war game have I ever felt "in danger" of losing my starting provence. CA has redeemed itself without question.
  16. Mar 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Amazing!!! Great game!!! Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2011
    It's out and the question is did The Creative Assembly pull it out the bag or flop. There's been a lot of negativity around Total War recently and everyoneâ
  18. Mar 16, 2011
    New Features such as agent/ninja cutscene. High graphics. runs smoothly on intel CORE. no bugs. the units speaks japanese. the sound changes during battles which is awesome!!
  19. Jun 13, 2011
    I was a huge fan of the first, and the other titles that followed. This is improved nicely, the AI is vastly improved, the economy is a little more advanced. It's not as easy to gain generals, I actually have to work at it. Don't forget to get married so that your character has heirs.. I sure hope that they remake Rome TW.
  20. Mar 16, 2011
    i had a hour yesterday after 7 hour download from steam woke up today waved good bye to partner and kids jumped on couldnt get off its amazingly good and bye a british developer no less rule britania thank god after my hugh dissapointment that was dragon age 2 thanks bioware. any way started as warrior monk clan after half hour was uterly destroyed restarted as sword based clan decieded to try and capture a section of the map 8 provenices it worked and rpg exp system for characters and dynamio are amazing ps cant recomend enough Expand
  21. Mar 15, 2011
  22. Mar 15, 2011
    Wow, I mean, they almost lost me with Empire, Pulled me slowly back N:tw, and now this...Ca, you have restored my faith. Well played, The Multiplayer especially really sets me going, so much new stuff to do!
  23. Mar 15, 2011
    A really polished experience! The best Total War I have played! The graphics are amazing and the attention to detail is astounding. There are so many features in this game it's mind boggling.
  24. Mar 15, 2011
    A leaner, meaner return to the game that started it all. Shogun 2: Total War pulls out all the stops and stands out as the most refined Total Wars to date. An excellent achievement and a fine addition to the franchise which I will gladly dedicate hundreds of hours of my valuable life to. The Creative Assembly have done it again, well done guys.
  25. Mar 15, 2011
    So good. Trimmed off all the fat, streamlined it, brilliant multiplayer that I'll play for hours and hours and it all looks incredible. The Creative Assembly are BACK.
  26. Mar 15, 2011
    Totally immense. Been waiting for this ages for ages, at last it is here and I just can't put it down! The graphics are sensational, out of this world! The siege battles were just amazing, probably the best bit of the whole game! I literally cannot put it down, I don't think I will be leaving the house for the next few weeks!
  27. Mar 15, 2011
    This game was awsum!! I loved it so much really good graphics!!! Been playing since release!! Its so amazing!!!! brilliant multiplayer seriously awsum! Have had a blast playing it, only have pulled myself away to write this review!!!!
  28. Mar 15, 2011
    Love this game!!! Been waiting for this to be remade it seems like my whole life! The seige battles are well thought out and executed. Wahoo for Shogun 2!
  29. Mar 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing about three hours I can say with certainty that this is the best game in the series, and I began to play more with the first Shogun, Shogun 2 is a masterpiece, here everything is so elaborated in detail that one can only take my hat off to the development team, and I played all the games in series and am not particularly fond of Japan, though I respect them a great culture, the era of Rome, one of the favorite but Shogun 2 is so epic that is done I'm sure you'll be impressed with how the game is made with love. Maybe the game is not so much for everything, and nearly to the story (although I may be wrong), but once you get addicted to the game you forget about it, this game is a very good way to get acquainted with the culture of Japan, part of which remained in modern Japan I have always respected them for their spirit, and I am sure that out of this tragedy they leave as soon as possible with minimal losses. Expand
  30. Mar 15, 2011
    A Truly Outstanding performance indeed, out of all the latest Total War games, Empire, and Napoleon, I think that Shogun 2 gives more strategic options as it have a fair options of unit type. While in Napoleon and Empire most players think that those who fire first will have the advantage, especially in multiplayer, where both players maybe thinking the same thing and this could cause boredome to the entire game. I especially love the new feature where the agent Ninja and some other could enter the battlefield and provide support, but also more siege battles and the idea of using bamboos as the raw materials for the boats. Great Work Creative Assembly! Keep it up! Expand
  31. Mar 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this series. Obvious progress since Napoleon is visible. The beautiful drawing, smart fights, I think revolution of the season of completely has justified. Have pleased new counters in the company and network game.Certainly, a series have tried to "simplify" a little, but these improvements only have done good.

Shogun has completely justified expectations. 10/10
  32. Mar 16, 2011
    Rupert_Smythe
    Mar 15, 2011
    with Asian history, I found the game to be absolutely delightful and a feast to all the senses! One should rush out immediately and purchase this game with no delay. Hurrah for all the chaps at The Creative Assembly. Well done, boys!â Expand
  33. Mar 24, 2011
    Simply cannot give this game anything lower than a 10. My first attempt to play a 'Total War' game seriously, and utterly superb in every aspect. Beautifully presented, it has an addictive campaign map with a plethora of building, research and advancement options, and a battlefield system which appeals to the tactical/historical purists and the casual gamers alike. Each campaign you play develops stories that feel personal to your clan, generals develop their own traits and personalities, and the game constantly throws engaging challenges and diplomatic intrigue your way. Just. One. More. Turn. Expand
  34. Mar 16, 2011
    I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it.

Maple Syrup Diet
  35. Mar 16, 2011
    I haven't spent a massive amount of time on the game yet, but from my first six hours of campaign play this is a much much better game than the other two recent iterations of the Total war series. It manages to achieve what everyone loved so much in Rome and Medieval, while still bringing in the new features that Empire and Napoleon brought without making them into a complete pile of crap. Having been one of the many disappointed and disillusioned CA fans after those last two games it came as a massively pleasant surprise. What I will say is from first day experience, is that finding a game using the current multi player interface can be quite hard and slow, this will no doubt change though. One last thing if your really obsessed with playing in DX 10 and 11, and it must be said with the anti aliasing that these features allow, then i would wait till the first patch to get this, as their currently unavailable in game. Expand
  36. Mar 16, 2011
    Wow, this game drips quality and playing is a pure pleasure. Improved battle AI means battles stay exciting and dramatic. I think the mis-steps of Empire have pushed this game to be the great accomplishment that it is.
  37. Mar 16, 2011
    I have played every single total war game since the original Shogun: Total War. That being said, this game is easily one of the best ever. It brings back the best parts of Empire while removing the worst all the while bringing a welcomed stylized edge to the game. All in all Total War does it again and makes me realize why I have always played their games over the Civ games.
  38. Mar 22, 2011
    This is the best Total Game in the series. BEst AI, Very polished. Amazing Multiplayer. This is how all other games should benchmark themselves. There are however some problems though. Some bugs which should be smoothed out with the inevitable patches. Sieges has the AI go to Sleep if you use certain tactics. (However, I must stress that CA has never really gotten the handle on sieges. Shogun 2 is heading the reight direction. There are some graphical problems, which seems to be mostly centered around the latest video cards. Slightly older top line cards provide a rock steady platform.

Played the Takeda at Normal, it provided a very very satisfying experience and most of all very fun. This is one game that I will be playing for a long time.
  39. Mar 17, 2011
    Total War has with it's newest installment made a fantastic game. They have listened to users of previous Total War games and created a beautiful mix between historical fact and in-game balance. The game AI is now more intelligent than ever both in the campaign and in the beautiful battles, which it surely lacked in battles in previous games. The difficulty settings are a lot more accurate now, making very hard - very hard!

My sole complain about the game is the different types of armies. The armies of the different clans are almost similar (containing the same units and skins) except the stats of the individual units, which creates a somewhat boring game in length. These units are however so fantastically made in both animation and model and the individual fights between the units look so real and unique.
    I do however suspect the release of DLC containing both new units and individual units for each faction.

One other problem with the game is that it needs patching and they should have waited a few weeks more before releasing. There are problems for people with starting up the game, errors in the game and the multiplayer is not working very well at the moment. It also lacks Direct X11 at the moment (along with AA).

This is a great game with the best gameplay and most beautiful battles made so far in the Total War series. If you have played one of the previous Total War games or loves strategy games either real time or turn-based (or both), then you should definitely try this one out.

Rating at the release of the game it should only receive 9/10, but as I expect it will be patched thoroughly, I rate it max.

I find that the game needs Steam to run is the best solution to anti-piracy and I do not think it is a problem as most people use Steam now a days.
    Also, to all you people who comment (and therefore rate the game) before trying it out - could you please wait until you have tried the game, otherwise you CANNOT rate the game and also you look like idiots!
  40. Mar 17, 2011
    I've been on the line on the Total War series for a few years. After playing the demo for Napoelon, i wasnt convinced. When the first videos of Shogun 2 were shown I was very interested. I was born in Japan and always enjoyed it's history and culture so the location was a plus. Then the demo came out, and because of the demo I bought the game. The graphics, combat, scenery, environment, music, voices, everything is just perfect for this game. Unlike other RTS games that are purely based on hotkey memorization and clicking faster than your enemy, this game requires THINKING faster and smarter and clicking faster doesn't mean anywhere near as much. The co-op campaign is also great fun if you have someone that will take the time to play with you. The only problem I've had with the game is purely my own, the enemy is too smart for me at my current skill level-and that's a good thing. Expand
  41. Mar 17, 2011
    Shogun 2: Total War has to be the best experience I've had in an RTS in a very long time. The campaign is stellar and reeks of creativity. Many features from previous Total War games really lacked in comparison to this game. It literally kept me up for a 36 hour period of non stop campaign fun. Multiplayer is the most hilarious fun I've had in years. The players are fair and challenging, not to mention friendly which is a surprise from most of my RTS experiences over the years. The games mechanics and innovation from previous Total War games are awesome to say the least, the Concept of Bushido, the ability to convert to Christianity, and the whole concept of massive warfare, I loved this game, I highly recommend it to anyone who's ever enjoyed an RTS or a TBS game. The game play is fun and challenging. The one flaw I'm sure they will correct is the sort of uselessness the Bow Calvary have, otherwise this is simply a great game. It's the best game I've played in two years.

Get this game as quickly as humanly possible, If you don't believe me, check other reviewers on this site.
  42. Mar 18, 2011
    Probably the best strategy game in last several years, its just amazing, combat is great, art is amazing, music is fantastic, multiplayer is good, i dunno what else to add,except its worth money :)
  43. Mar 18, 2011
    Total War: Shogun 2 improves upon everything which was good before, as well as significantly improving some things which let previous Total Wars down, such as dumb AI. They have gone into amazing detail in regards to the history and encylopedia, much more than is necessary, which is not a bad thing.
  44. Mar 20, 2011
    I can't seem to put this game down, I already have 30 hours played and the game came out a just over 4 days ago. Sure there are some day-of-release bugs, but do you expect? It's sad that this has become a norm but: every game has them, I won't knock off points for that. The graphics are stunning, and the music is phenomenal, but the game truly shines in the game play aspect, the co-op campaign's only flaw is that I can't have a 3 month long 8 player campaign with my friends. To everyone complaining about the bugs, I'm sure The Creative Assembly won't pull a Treyarch on this one, every game has bugs, don't give it a 0/10 because of something that can easily be fixed. It's only been 4 days for crying out loud. Expand
  45. Mar 20, 2011
    Shogun 2 gives you an intense strategy game. With AI that's actually clever compared to the older series where it still had major problems navigating over water, you'll find yourself caught by surprises on the campaign map and in real-time battles. There still are plenty of units to make a diversive army, but not as much as in Empire Total War. New RPG elements have been introduced that makes costumisation of your agents and commanders possible to play them the way you want.

Multiplayer has been totally revisioned, and actually encourages long-term progression by a sort of "Avatar" system that awards you unlocks with each battle you can win on a "multiplayer campaign map".

There's also a two player coop campaign mode that I personally find oustanding to play, but its tortured with desync problems at the time I write this (21 march 2011). Hopefully these bugs get polished out soon enough, as this is the only game-breaking thing I found.

Pro's/Con's

+ Amazing visuals with unique art
    + More intelligent AI
    + Various new RPG elements that add depth

- Suffers from desync problems on the online 2 player coop campaign
  46. Mar 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love that game! In comparison to its predecessors it's so much more realistic and the gameplay a lot more exciting. Spent a good couple of hours in anterooms playing that game! Expand
  47. Mar 29, 2011
    Superbe ! L'immersion est garantie, le jeu est très prenant. Je regrette que cette qualité ne se retrouve pas dans ETW où la carte est bien plus intéressante. Pas de bugs, et avec les mods (darth...) ça va faire très mal.
  48. Apr 5, 2011
    This game contains so much content, it's simply immense. From the fully fleshed out tutorials to the campaign. Multiplayer is just the icing on the cake. Insane ranking and customizable armies. Oh, and the graphics? Unbeatable! The detail on the battlefield is incredible. Zooming in on troops exposes the vast textures. The infantry simply look like characters from Crysis. No detail loss when zooming in. The physics are great, the size of the game is what baffles me. I love it

10/10.
  49. Apr 4, 2011
    This is the best Total War game since the old MTW game. The difficulty levels are finally what they should be and the game is finally challenging again. It's not the prettiest of the series (still waiting on that DX11 update) but it by far is the best right now in gameplay and fun. I've ranted about the TW series from RTW forward because the game has felt like playing a romper room game. This one I've stayed up way into the night playing as time just flies by I'm having so much fun. If you've been on the fence get off of it and get out there and get this. I think GoGamer.com has it for $33 and some change or did. Don't listen to the panty waist little rts boys who can't stand a game that beats them. :) Expand
  50. Apr 7, 2011
    i'm still hopefull there will be a World TotalWar but a huge 10 from me, brilliant game. i've played every TW since it came out and love the new easy access of the features.
  51. MJR
    Apr 27, 2011
    I LOVE this game to death! It really is the refinement of the total war series. Everything makes a lot more sense than Empire and the map is way more manageable. The battles require a lot more strategy than ever before because of the units ant the terrain. The units are completely the same across all factions, except for units in which the faction has an advantage with, meaning all armies have access to the same units you do but, for example, the Shimazu have better Katana Samurai and the Chosokabe have better Bow Samurai. And don't worry there are enough units to keep the game from getting stale. Everything from economics to the arts your faction can develop down the path of bushido or chi or both make a lot of sense. It is far less overwhelming and way more manageable so much so I would say any newcomer to the series could easily pick up, although mastering it will take longer. One of the new features I think is great is that you have to be much more specific in which buildings you make in you cities and even better is how each region has something different to add when you take it over. Some have horses, some ninja, others lumber or quarries, each of which are necessary for making new things like bigger fortresses, cheaper boats or stronger cavalry. The game just feels like everything they've done up to this has been perfected. Except multiplayer apparently. I don't really play multiplayer so it doesn't affect me but if that's what you're interested in then you may want to make your own research into that. Anyway for me this game is a 10/10. Gorgeous. Expand
  52. Apr 14, 2011
    A great comeback to the original Total War games! The music has Jeff Van Dyck back which is great since, he's music always made up a good Total War game very enjoyable and emotional. The battles are stunning to look at, the multiplayer just gets better, and the singleplayer campaign will get you sucked in for a very, very long time! It is definitely worth your money, Creative Assembly has done a fantastic job on this game! We can only hope for them to continue their work forth. Expand
  53. May 25, 2011
    This work of love is the culmination of everything Total War stands for. Simply amazing. P.S.: CA we all want Rome 2! Just make sure it has the same finesse and work you poured into Shogun 2 ;)
  54. Jun 4, 2011
    Back to the Roots. The best game in series 9.0
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    The best Total War game since Rome for me. The modes are largely the same with Multiplayer receiving substantial excellent changes, another change is the new inclusion of Legendary mode on the Campaign which is also a fantastic new feature for Total War veterans. Took me 7 attempts but I managed to complete it on legendary, which gives a great sense of achievement. The updates coming to the game are also great with a DX 11 patch on the way and more bug fixes for mostly multiplayer as we go along. Thanks Creative Assembly! Expand
  56. Oct 5, 2011
    Although its replay value is less than that of previous TW games, what IS in the game is absolutely perfect. Shogun 2 has incredible gameplay, beautiful graphics, and the promise for amazing Total War games to come. I, personally, am excited for Rome II based on this engine.
  57. Apr 28, 2011
    I am concerned, that note above is too low, becouse the game is great, but... This is the same game, that Empire, Napoleon and all Total Wars are! What's more: number of units is greatly decreased compare with eg. Medieval 2!
    If this was my first Total War, I would rate on 10, but sadly, it is not.
  58. Apr 28, 2011
    A brilliant game. Innovative. Always leaving us stunned.
    2 Shogun: Total War deserves a standing ovation on its graphics, gameplay, technical capacity and playable and interesting itinerary grudante. But not yet overcome the almost perfect game from Blizzard. The interesting game: 9 / 10
  59. May 9, 2011
    As her journey for the ultimate revenge continues, Beatrix Kiddo is left with three people on her quest to kill; her ex-lover/boss Bill and his two remaining associates; his brother Budd and Billâ
  60. May 14, 2011
    Great game.... Thank you CA for an awesome game graphics are superb, gameplay is very awesome, what more can you ask for? if you like the total war series then dont even hesitate to buy this game.
  61. May 17, 2011
    Shogun 2 is the best Total War game i have ever played. The Atmosphere in this game is absolutely amazing. With Improved AI, i can play it for hours nonstop. I urge you to try it out if you were let down by the Empire Total War, you wont be disappointed.
  62. Mar 18, 2012
    Total War series game is the best of the best strategy game in human history,not one of ! I love Total War more than anything!Been playing since release, what can i say...i havnt slept...its pretty awesome, best total was since medieval 2! Looks amazing even tho theres no dx11 untill they patch it, then it'll be a 11/10!
  63. TIZ
    May 18, 2012
    Amazing game overall. Graphics best to date DX10 or 11, Gameplay slow but that's the fun of it, Story elements are like most strategy games good and satisfying when completing. Lots of new and extra features, amazing 3D rotatable map, actual night time fighting and amazing fight animations. This game deserves nothing less than a 10/10
  64. Jul 29, 2011
    I give the multi-player a strong 10, and I have started playing the single player but the customization and loyalty to your units in the multi-player seems so much stronger to me that I cannot get through more than 10 turns in single player. Here is my breakdown:

Graphics: 10/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Battle Interface: 10/10
    Battle Gameplay: 10/10
    Fun Factor: 10/10
  65. Aug 25, 2011
    A work of art. Absolutely the most polished TW game out & its stunning. Everything from the music, the visuals, the pacing, the setting & options available to you and of course the stunning battles will just blow u away! Excellent job to the developers on one of the best Strategy games out. Now the problem is how to get over my addiction to this game..... just... one... more turn!!!!!
  66. Sep 4, 2011
    Just imagine its the late nineties and a flurry of edgy "modern" RTS games were taking up much of our sleeping time, if anyone could predict where the strategy industry would have been in 2011 im sure nobody would have conceived the scale of professionalism that the total war series have come to achieve! The series are quite simply the most perfect example of Total War! (Yes i am a fanboy......)
  67. Sep 4, 2011
    Sehr gutes spiel jedoch muss ich sagen das es sich um ein verdammt schweres spiel handelt.
    die grafik ist sehr gut gelungen und kann mit einer ATI 5870 und einem vernünftigem 4 x core mit allen details gespielt werden.
  68. Dec 18, 2011
    The firs total war i played was shogun when i saw shogun 2 i though plz tell me they didnt make it suck like napoleon and empire ! and now that i have it i must say its a hell of a game ! best RTS so far ! i didnt believe its better than rome total war too coz i was huge fan or rome as i was with the first shogun
    now u have rpg elements and finally the multiplayer is worth playing it ! its
    not a custom battle ! u can play campaign mode online and if u are playing singleplayer u give the battle from the system to one radom player online :D it has so much stuff and now the melee army is fighting better but still some times they stay there do nothing(not all the army just one or two ) the only bad think is that ... will they make another one as good as this? Expand
  69. Oct 9, 2011
    This is one of the greatest games ever ! Joining RTS with turn strategy is best idea, and it is working perfectly. I really like this world of samurais, ninjas etc etc. Programmers did not make this game so complicated but nicely and user friendly. I recommend to play S2 with all my hart ! Rgrds
  70. Oct 17, 2011
    It brings the fun you are looking for when you buy any of the Total War series, and it does it with style. Not the pinnacle of the series, I would say that Rome and even Medieval 2 were better, but still worth your money. It takes time to finish the single player campaign, re-playable, and the multi-player part is fun too. If you are a TW fun, this is a must for you!
  71. Nov 13, 2012
    Not just Strategy; Out of the 10,000+ games made, I think this is the best ever. It takes everything I loved from Rome:TW, and moves it to the current generation... I am so excited for Rome 2 that I just **** my pants.
  72. Dec 31, 2011
    This is a great game. It's possibly the best strategy game ever made. It runs smoothly even on older hardware. I can't say enough good things about it.
  73. Feb 11, 2012
    My first total war game was Empire Total War a while back. Ever since I got it I became hooked on the series. Iv'e seen a lot of **** reviews for this same so far, and I have to strongly disagree with what they are saying. This is by far the best total war game that has come out yet. The graphics are amazing and pretty much look real with light bloom from a distance. The new multi-player concept of making your own clan is genius and it is a game you will always go back to. I would recommend this to any strategy gamer because of its challenging concepts and high replay value. I do not recommend it for someone just starting to play total war or general strategy due to its challenging gameplay. Expand
  74. Mar 5, 2013
    The best strategy game I've played since Civilization. I've probably put more hours into this game than any other, it has excellent replayability. Highly recommended for strategy fans.

It plays similarly to other Total War games, but with some improvements like better resource management and soldier management.
  75. Mar 13, 2012
    The best total war game as of yet. The Japanese settings sucks you right in. Unlike empire total war the game offers a more rounded set of units. There are less units but the game is better for it. Shogun also brings something new to the table in the form of an online avatar which you can customize and level up. Once you level up you can select different retainers and skills which have effects in the online battles you play. All in all:

Sound: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Graphics: 10 (You do need a beast of a PC to appreciate the full scope though)
  76. Jun 16, 2012
    In subjective way, I am very interested in samurai and japan history. Regardless of my interests, this game is awesome. What I see is not only about game, it's also about history. Moreover, it makes you feel like you are really running a country or a military clan.
  77. Jun 12, 2012
    The game is extremely good on the campaign and could easily become glued to it for hours. The graphics aren't the best I have seen but then again I am playing on a 42" TV, may I add HD for that matter :P

The only downfall to Shogun 2 is that the online is extremely poor!! The characters are not evenly matched. I had my general with no casualties taken out by Yari Ki, even though the Yari
    Ki have sustained casualties before battle, I find this extremely stupid as this is like top notch spear men getting wiped out by peasants!! If you want good online play stick to Napoleon Total war (I haven't played Shogun 1), but for a kick ass campaign stick with Shogun 2.

Another thing I didn't like about Shogun 2 is that melee infantry are pretty useless online (I have won with melee but was extremely hard), it's all about the line infantry just like Napoleon.

My verdict get Shogun 2 for campaign and Napoleon for online.
  78. Jan 4, 2013
    Truly one of the most addicting games I've ever played, yesterday I spent 13 hours straight in a Co-Op match with a random guy, and he bought the game 2 days ago, and we had a blast! I have been playing Shogun 2 for over a year and they still keep updating the game from time to time, multiplayer connection issues are ironed away. The only drawback for this game might be the public chat rooms are quiet most of the time : / There are still many people playing it, I logged at 3 AM and decided to play a custom match 4v4, and found one right away. Expand
  79. Aug 25, 2012
    I was introduced to the total war series/franchise by Rome:Total war and after I bought shogun 2 it felt like I really was the shogunete ruling japan with an iron fist.I honestly think shogun 2 is the best modern graphics and gameplay wise RTS game that players have been waiting for
  80. Sep 11, 2013
    I love to play it.
    You have many different units and clans you can play. Also you must organize your towns (when you play campaign) very good otherwise you get rebellions etc.
    The AI is very very good (battle and campaign). Last time i played campaign on hard, one clan nearly took over the whole country.
    The graphic is very good too, you can choose between Dx 9 or 11. I play it on 11
    with all settings on the highest option and its very nice to see. Expand
  81. Apr 21, 2013
    It's a game simply charming and extremely immersive. I just think they could have improved a little more art and design, like the avatars and graphics a bit more affordable for most computers.
  82. Aug 9, 2013
    Excellent game. I have played almost 100 hours already and need to admit that Shogun 2 sets new quality standards for gaming industry. Graphics, gameplay, many small features make this game just amazing.
  83. Sep 5, 2013
    Ah, dear Shogun 2. After playing the mess that is Total War Rome 2, I am constantly reminded of the things you did right and your greatness. Music, battles, theme, voices, blood pack DLC, Rock Paper Scissors elements, agents, family trees, skill trees, the list goes on. The only fault I can think of is the over-reliance on foreign trade points. Other than that, my dear Hojo clan and my first memories of this game shall remain my favorite of all the Total War series! Expand
  84. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is great and has good music.

Multiplayer quick battle matchmaking: Its very punishing on new players because of veteran units gaining more stats however if you keep at it you'll eventually have those veteran units. I've played this part of the game the most as its very fun. Only thing I wouldn't recommend is having a normal Shogun 2 army fighting a Fall of the Samurai army.

Single player campaign: Takes quite a few hours to complete a single campaign. Realm divide is just plain annoying and wasn't expected the first time I ran into it and sadly the higher difficulties aren't as enjoyable because you're stuck defending the whole game. If you don't mind preparing for realm divide it can be fun.

Co-op Campaign: I've only completed maybe three of these. You can share units with your friend in battles so they have something to do other than watch the fight which is nice.

Only real complaint about this game is the loading times. (An example of this is the start up load screen takes about 2 minutes every time.) Other than that its an amazing game and I recommend it.
  85. Sep 5, 2013
    If you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have you think about the future of your clan, truly a thinking man's game, have Christianity spread through your lands and you may have a split in society, some saying you have lost your tradition, others praising you for open mindedness. Anyways this is a great buy! Expand
  86. Sep 5, 2013
    Only after playing Rome 2 I released how good Shogun 2 was. Here we have user friendly and nice interface. Family tree which ensures great roleplay. Graphics are great and Sakura are amazingly beautiful

I strongly recommend to try this game if you never played TW games before. Rome 2 currently is a huge mess.
  87. Sep 25, 2014
    Just excellent game, only bettered by FOTS DLC. Little replayability though : all factions feel the same, but ikko ikki. The AI is the best in a TW game, even the diplomacy is good (unique in a TW game which all have **** AI diplomates)
  88. Oct 6, 2013
    this game is truly the pinnacle of Total war, and all strategy games. Awesome graphics, create campaign map, this is a release to be proud off. Currently clocked 360 hours and even the release of Rome 2 isn't slowing me down.
  89. Feb 1, 2014
    Awesome, i loved this game, is my favorite video game of all that i have played all my life :), the map, the story, the graphics, well, all is awesome compared to another strategy games, congratulations creative assembly :D
  90. Mar 20, 2014
    Rich with entertaining features, beautifully designed, and an overall excellent experience. Plays just as a Total War game should, even above the elevated standards of the franchise. Replaying this game is the perfect way to remind yourself how great TW can be in the aftermath of the Rome II debacle.
  91. Mar 27, 2014
    The greatest RTS game I have played, where other RTS's feel chaotic and are filled with infinitely spawning units this game feels completely controlled and a blast to play, as well as watch, as all characters on screen are individually modeled, and at times there can be over 10,000 characters on screen at the same time and I rarely get any lag.
  92. May 27, 2014
    Strategy games can, honestly, never get better than this. Excellent campaign map, clear, concise tutorial, awesome naval battles, and bunches of detail, from the katana of a samurai to the biggest mountain.
  93. May 30, 2014
    THE ONLY PLAYABLE TOTAL WAR!!

So the other Total War games don't have a listing of all the armies, navies, agents, etc that allow you to keep track of which ones you've already attended to even if you choose not to move. That alone makes this really the only playable game. The other ones, including rome 2, are way to cumbersome and it takes all day to make the turn.

I'm addicted.

I am the type to get bored of a game super easily, and I play this game every second I can, which means playing 11pm to 4:30AM when I have work at 9AM.

The graphics are still amazing in 2014, and the game runs on all maxed settings even when I had a 560ti.

The diplomacy is shallow, and the economy of the game leaves me wanting more (I'm a nerd), but most people would not like having to go so in depth.

The battle gameplay is fantastic and very in-depth. The generals and family tree is fun.

Try it. It will provide the most bang for the buck for any game on the market.

Only complaint is the UI gets buggy when you try to do 1000 things all at once clicking like a mad man on the campaign map. Can't fault them because the game works except when you are trying to move 3 armies literally at the same time.
  94. Jun 8, 2014
    This game takes me back to the good ol days. Such good memories from playing this game, I remember my first game I just had mongol against one unit to see the devastation. This game blew me off my feet, after seeing Napoleon total war I thought CA was taking steps back and was scared of what shogun would be, I was wrong big time. Personally, If I had to live with only 1 total war game it would be shogun 2/rome I total war ^^. This game was a blast I felt that it had a very solid campaign, great graphics, an overall decent AI compared to other total war games. I felt that it is also the only total war game with fluid animations that look real and the battles, are intense and brutal. Only thing I did not enjoy about this game was lack of units to choose from but this was kind of made up for with mods and DLC's but I would have liked for each clan to have there own unit types and such. By far the most game I have ever played used to spend hours each day with friends just multiplayer battle after multiplayer battle. And the multiplayer campaign with friends with junk food and watching tv was the best gaming moments I have had along with a few moments from skyrim with friends, and chivalry. Great game was so good made me hate rome total war 2. DLC's for this game were surprisingly good though I felt that fall of samurai was ehm op lets say compared to the normal game but, it did not matter since you could choose in multiplayer to fight with only shogun 2 players or along with fall of samurai.

My overall scores:

Gameplay: 10/10

Graphics: 10/10

Community: 12/10 (best community so far, for me at least)

Multiplayer: 100/10 (cannot be matched!)

Units: 8/10

campaign: 11/10

animations: over 9000

final score: badass game, that is so fun to play and even more fun to play with friends.
  95. Dec 26, 2011
    This is simply the best total war game ever. I've played most of the games from the series and Shogun 2 is a dream come true, that goes back to the original root, but with all the refinements of the last decade. If you are into deep strategy and historic accuracy you can't miss it.
  96. Mar 31, 2011
    Looks superb and very well optimised. Shogun 2 has really built on the series, especially when it comes to the campaign map where there's several fantastic additions. The whole Agent system has been so well thought-out, that it's one of the most exciting parts of the game. The battles are visually stunning and the small but balanced selection of units is nice. However the game isn't without its flaws. The multiplayer is nothing less than completely broken, not only in its matchmaking and room system, but also with a lot of unit behavior. Were it to work however, the avatar campaign system is an annoyance and prevents you from just jumping in with friends and playing how you want. Friends vs AI has also seemingly been removed for unknown reasons. When it comes to single-player bugs, there are less but still some real game-breakers. In one of the naval tutorial battles the player camera can barely move, this also happens in one of the historical battles, except this time it can also move through the floor and you are suddenly produced with an insane amount of screen fuzz half-way through - needless to say this historical battle remains incomplete for me. In my first campaign, part way through my income glitched and I went from 9k one turn to 172k the next. Having started again, I got through the campaign finishing the victory conditions, but chose to continue playing until I owned every province on the map. I owned all but two, when my game crashed and trying to reload either my quick saves or game saves would result in a crash - needless to say I've given up on this save file. As for the 'improved' AI, well, actually it's fairly thick. Besides simple things like sending cavalry round the sides to flank you, it really doesn't try and counter you at all. Infact, in trying to make it smart, they've made it incredibly annoying, as often it will run to the nearest large hill and turtle there waiting for you to advance. Seeing as it often starts nearer to said hill, more than you do, you have no way of stopping it - then it's just a matter of letting your archers kill theirs until they run out of archer units and rush down the hill at you. In sieges it's no better. Diplomacy also feels pointless and I barely bothered with it on my second campaign game, as I knew that as soon as I had gathered any momentum, realm divide would happen and every clan would turn against me. From this point onwards you get -5 to diplomatic relations every turn and there's no coming back from it. All this aside, it's still a fantastic game that I've already put in 100 hours in a short period of time, and definitely still worth getting. However with more thought put into how to mix up the later SP campaign (as opposed to realm divide), greater depth to diplomatic relations, a better (and working) MP system, and 'real' intelligent AI, it could have been a 10. Hopfully the modding community can do a lot to help some of these points, and because there's already several mods addressing some of these issues - and others generally enhancing the campaign experience, a game that would get a score of 8 out of the box, gets brought up to a score of 9 thanks to the community. Expand
  97. Mar 15, 2011
    Best Total War title since MW2, arguably since Rome. Everything that was keeping the previous entries from being amazing was fixed. The AI has gone from ridiculously stupid to surprisingly clever. They'll lure you into traps and they know when to push and when to retreat. Naval battles are much more straightforward than in Empire/Napoleon, and so are significantly more action-packed. This is helped by land masses and coasts, which provide a much more dynamic battlefield. The campaign is much more focused and has a pseudo-RPG feel, immersing you even more than before. The scale is smaller than Empire, but that much more detail has been packed into a smaller region. It's also worth mentioning that siege battles are much less straightforward and therefore much more fun than in traditional European-esque fights. Multiplayer was a great surprise. You can easily create a clan with your friends and find fights, moving over different regions and gaining new skills. As you progress, you can customize your general and his attributes with a rather large skill tree, you can add various perks to certain units (as well as damaging perks against your enemies), and ultimately you really do feel like you're leading a conquest against real people. The game isn't perfect, and most of its failings fall to the technical department. There are a few connection issues, but those are to be expected this early on. More disappointing are the visual settings. In its best, Shogun is easily the most beautiful TW, with amazing detail on each unit, great backdrops, and more detail all around, especially in the trees of the environment. Unfortunately, we won't get to see Shogun at its best for a while. Anti-Aliasing, higher Shader models, and DX11 features are completely absent from the release product; CA tells us that these will be added in a patch scheduled to arrive in 2-4 weeks. That's not really acceptable, and it feels like they were trying to meet a deadline. That aside, there are many optimization issues, especially with Phenom processors and AMD cards. Hopefully these will be addressed as well, if not by CA then by AMD and Nvidia.

Overall, this is a must-own for strategy fans, or fans of historical warfare in general. Easily the best Total War game in a long while.
  98. Mar 25, 2011
    I must say that I gave Empire a horrible review due to the numerous bugs and loss of support. The release day Shogun 2 is in better shape than Empire was left in. I have only seen minor, non-game breaking bugs after about 40 hrs of play. The Creative Assembly have released a fairly polished game, that should only get better in time.
  99. Mar 21, 2011
    After playing all of the TW games, I could easily crown this the reigning champ. Its easy to admire the wonderful graphics and solid UI, but when you get into the subtle aspects of the game it just shines. There is a completeness to the game play that is extremely hard to capture and present to an audience. While overall I feel that Shogun is the best at what it does, I can't help but wonder if there were possibilities to go down a new route with the franchise. I shouldn't complain about greatness, so do yourself a favor and go get this bad boy. Expand
  100. Nov 10, 2011
    I would give this an 8.7 and for one reason only, they are starting to release DLC's that unlock content that was previously free if you just modified one notepad document, im afraid that the people who make total war games are starting to milk it for what its got rather than focusing on one masterpiece, on the bright side the multiplayer is lightyears ahead of napoleon total war, The strategys that you take on ARE actually specific to the faction you decide to play as, so when sombody on metacritic says "dont ever chose this faction because they have better boats" thats simply not true, you use the boat advantage to its fullest extent by blockading enemy ports and therefore giving you more income, or if you chose to get better archers you play more defensively, or vica versa with other factions. Im happy that they made a few modifications to just about everything and refined everything to a good point, for example : ship battles used to be about clicking at the right time in a starcraft like manner, but now its much more about positioning of your ships, there is now a food factor so you cant just build a billion castles. The difficulty is finally what it should be. All the other total war games I played were so easy its not even funny (even on hardest difficulty) with one exception, western roman empire in rome total war barbarian invasion on the hardest difficulty, but thats about rome total war, all in all shogun 2 total war has stunning visuals (only if your computer is really really awsome, I was sad when I found out I could not play in DX11, because seriously, the DX11 graphics are WAY better than the DX9 graphics) More strategy, more thinking, not as time consuming as empire total war and not as complicated (which i can understand why they did that) There are also important choices you can make that will affect your empire. If the game has a problem, its the DLC and how once you have claimed the shogunate and won the game its very boring because the battles all feel the exact same. Expand

1. Jul 14, 2011
    There is a je ne sais quoi elegance on how the game is presented and how well put together the game as an entire corpus is. Although it's still mired by some version 1.0 bugs, Shogun is highly playable and deserves a place on any Total War fan's hard drive.
    Beautiful, complex and varied historical strategy which offers hours of fun in single player and multiplayer modes. [Issue#203]
    The mix of turn based strategy (with economical, political and diplomatic ramifications) and real time battles is still wonderful, but the need to balance timing and aggression is more important than ever. Aggressive players will feel a little cheated, while diplomats will hate Realm Divide stage. Still, Total War was always about realism and the AI's scripted actions make logical and historical sense.