Tower Wars PC

6.6

1. May 15, 2016
    Tower Wars is a tower defense game combined with army building. This indie title was released in August 2012, so has been around for a while coming in with about 400k owners on Steam.

As with other tower defense games, you start out with a blank battlefield, although this version of tower defense is slightly different to others, you are also fighting against an opponent, who is also building towers on their blank battlefield. The aim of the game is to get your army into the enemies base to destroy their castle before they destroy yours. Tower Wars has two currency systems, Gold and Battle points - you are able to generate gold via the mines which are already located on your map; you can do the usual technique with tower defense games and upgrade them so that they generate more gold and are quicker at it. Battle points come through sending units to your opponent and working their way to the castle, this of course requires gold though.

You build units from your barracks with gold, there is a build queue which you can fill up however you please with different assorted units which you can train, and then push them all out in one go. Your barracks has a cool down so you can only push one wave out every 40 seconds or so. Some units are basic, some have their own special abilities, and some even increase the stats of the whole wave, regardless of whether they are near the units or not.

The tower building side of things is again, very similar to other tower defense games, you are able to position your towers pretty much anywhere you want on the map, allowing you to create all sorts of death traps, and corridors that your foe has to battle through, obviously the more ground the opponent has to cover, the more damage you can do to them with your turrets. There are plenty of the normal sort of turrets, such as cannons and arrow launchers, but there are also some really unique ones, such as a huge fan that pushes your opponents back in a certain direction, this makes for some great end of hallway traps! All of the turrets are able to be upgraded in the usual fashion too, however I didn't really find the need to do that in the single player mode.

Tower Wars has a really nice looking graphic and art style; they are really polished and it looks like a lot of care and attention has gone into making this a beautiful steam-punk looking game.

The difficulty in Tower Wars takes a huge ramp up once you get past the tutorial. I will say though, the game's tutorial is really helpful and gets you to grips with the UI and all of the basic elements of the game. It does leave out a few bits that mean you have to go digging around and use a bit of trial and error to see what is what, but that's part of the fun of this type of game. There are also an abundance of guides, and wiki posts out there if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of it.

Since the game is almost four years old now, the multiplayer scene seems to have died down a bit, at the time of writing this there are only ~30 people playing the game, but thankfully the game does have the option for co-op, so that may peek the attention of some people

Technically, this game has a lot of graphical options, allowing you to cater it for your rigs power and capability, coming with plenty of resolution options too.

I have put about six hours into Tower Wars so far, and given that matches against the UI/Bots can sometimes last anywhere between 45 minutes and an hour, you can expect to get a lot of gameplay out of this even on the single player mode. If you manage to find yourself a group of friends to play this with, you are looking at a major time sink with ample amounts of fun and content. I will definitely be carrying on playing Tower Wars after writing this review, since it also has that addicted sort of gameplay that I just cannot put down.

Thankfully, due to the price of Tower Wars being £5,59, I am going to strongly recommend this title, if it was any more I would have just said to pick it up when on sale due to the lack of multiplayer activity, but because it is already a low price as it stands, I can easily say you will get at least five or six hours of enjoyment out of it. Hardcore tower defense fans should not miss out on this game!
  2. Dec 9, 2014
    I honestly feel that this game deserves an 8. But i see to many needless negative reviews, (I.E. This deserves a 0 because the multiplayer isn't properly working). Which is why i'm over-scoring it. I don't really give a **** about the multiplayer, yet i hear there are still bugs in the singleplayer, none of which I've encountered so i can't tell you about them. I love tower defense andI honestly feel that this game deserves an 8. But i see to many needless negative reviews, (I.E. This deserves a 0 because the multiplayer isn't properly working). Which is why i'm over-scoring it. I don't really give a **** about the multiplayer, yet i hear there are still bugs in the singleplayer, none of which I've encountered so i can't tell you about them. I love tower defense and this game is beautiful and really cheap, so i definitely recommend. If you do happen to find a game breaking bug, then oh well, your out a whole 7$, not really a big deal. Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2014
    I cant understand how this brilliant piece of strategy, the tower defense that changed the genre forever, can have such bad reviews. You don't have to be genius to understand the logic. But maybe I expect too much from average players.
    I say this is the best tower defense game I ever played. Better than fiedrunners, an much better than any other classical title.
    Most negative or mixed
    Most negative or mixed reports that I read here are outdated. The single player was buffed a lot, but don't be fooled. This thing is about playing man vs man, brain vs brain. And there is plenty of active players around.
  4. Mar 13, 2013
    Many people didn't get the point of this game. Yes it might not be so obvious for new players and means that you must perseverate to learn the basics. Ok the single player content is poor... Well it's already a blessing there is one. Come on people, game used to be 10 times harder and with 10 times less content! Do you need everything to be explained? There are fan videos out there! TheMany people didn't get the point of this game. Yes it might not be so obvious for new players and means that you must perseverate to learn the basics. Ok the single player content is poor... Well it's already a blessing there is one. Come on people, game used to be 10 times harder and with 10 times less content! Do you need everything to be explained? There are fan videos out there! The whole strength of this game lies with the multiplayer. It is one of the most addictive game I have played in the past 10 years. Those guys are better than many top notch studios. They got the point. Keep it simple yet deep. One of the main reason why people don't buy the game is because of the 59/100 rating this website gives. But still there are many strong opponents out there. Many new players too. Try it out, you won't regret it! See you in-game! Expand
  5. Feb 20, 2013
    Tower Wars is right up my alley simply because I get to fight real intelligence instead of predictable AIs. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for classic TDs as well, and have completed just about every popular version out there, but to get real longevity you just need to fight real people. This game provides that.

Also, the bugs and shortcomings posted at launch are pretty much fixed by

Also, the bugs and shortcomings posted at launch are pretty much fixed by now. The game is bug free, new maps have been added, and the coop-mode people asked for was added months ago. I see little reason not to buy this game now, if you are a fan of TDs or TWs you will get loads of fun out of this title, for a great price to boot. See ya in-game!
  6. Nov 28, 2012
    Very good game ! I love the idea of a tower defense where you have to attack you opponents too. Lacks a few functionalities like being able to play against AI but still great ! :)
  7. Sep 1, 2012
    FINALLY! Someone made an actual Tower Wars game! The mods were so much fun, so it's awesome that SuperVillain made an actual game to pretty much officially kick off the genre (I think?)! Basically, not only do you set up your towers and maze to defend, but you send out your own armies to attack the other castle! Lots of units to unlock and upgrade by using an RTS system (tech tree). AndFINALLY! Someone made an actual Tower Wars game! The mods were so much fun, so it's awesome that SuperVillain made an actual game to pretty much officially kick off the genre (I think?)! Basically, not only do you set up your towers and maze to defend, but you send out your own armies to attack the other castle! Lots of units to unlock and upgrade by using an RTS system (tech tree). And the humor is a nice touch too. Who doesn't love a robot named Stanley Clunkerbottom? The meat of the experience is the multi-player for sure! It supports local hosted and ranked matches, so you can play with friends until you're ready to head out into a ranked match. 2v2 is probably my favorite, and the game goes all the way up to 3v3 (and 1v1 of course). And there IS a single player "Classic" mode, which is like other normal Tower Defense games where you just defend as long as you can. But this thing REALLY shines in multi-player modes that it's built for!

And, for what it's worth, the game is gorgeous if you have a gaming PC with some muscle. But it also lets you customize all settings for weaker machines too, and even looks pretty good at lower settings. Looks like a miniatures set up! I want to play this in real life!

Highly recommended for fans of Tower Defense, RTSs, Table-Top Games, or multi-player with friends! Oh, and for $10? No brainer!
  8. Aug 19, 2012
    This game is pretty good. At first i thought the game was a bit slow but as soon as you learn new tactics you can easily win quite fast. The game is only going to get better, since the developers are currently working on updates which will dramatically improve the game for many people. If you even slightly considered buying the game I would do so. However I would definitely buy it if itThis game is pretty good. At first i thought the game was a bit slow but as soon as you learn new tactics you can easily win quite fast. The game is only going to get better, since the developers are currently working on updates which will dramatically improve the game for many people. If you even slightly considered buying the game I would do so. However I would definitely buy it if it comes on sale in the future. Expand
  9. Aug 16, 2012
    I think this game is still the beta version and will be updated regularly. My first impression is very positive...the graphics look really good, the gameplay is smooth and the sound fits perfectly. You have a COOP-Mode, you can play 1 Vs 1, 2 Vs 2 and 3 Vs 3, random teams and custom ones. When you start playing, take 15 minutes for the tutorial mission! Then start a multiplayer game or theI think this game is still the beta version and will be updated regularly. My first impression is very positive...the graphics look really good, the gameplay is smooth and the sound fits perfectly. You have a COOP-Mode, you can play 1 Vs 1, 2 Vs 2 and 3 Vs 3, random teams and custom ones. When you start playing, take 15 minutes for the tutorial mission! Then start a multiplayer game or the single player mode. There are only few maps (so far I can see there are 3) and there is still a lot balancing work to do (custom coop-teams against random coop-teams are unfair, matchmaking systems needs an improvement)! But the developers are on a good way and due to the steam based ranking system, the motivation is pretty high! Collapse
  10. Aug 16, 2012

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Interesting variation of the tower defense genre suffers from chaotic gameplay and an absence of single-player mode. [Oct 2012]
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    Tower Wars looks colorful and steampunk-y, but doesn't offer much. Three maps, one race… And this is in a multiplayer-oriented game?
  3. Sep 17, 2012
    Tower Wars feels as if it were designed specifically for hardcore strategists. With a tutorial that skips important concepts and the tendency for matches to become one sided, the result is an uncomfortable and frustrating experience for beginners.