• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Sep 14, 2011
7.7

1. Sep 19, 2011
    This game is very hard to love. The racing is as wonderful as ever, and the graphics truly are a leap forward, but everything else is a confused mess. Much seems to have been taken out since Trackmania United, with the community expected to fill it in later. The solo campaign is simply 'Race', with no 'Platform', 'Puzzle' and 'Stunt' mode any more. There's no in-game 'Explorer' to allow you to look for skins and tracks. There's no way of sharing your creations once they've been built- at least, as far as I can see. I can't understand why they've simply thrown all this stuff away, since Trackmania United Forever was so fully-featured.

On top of that, there's no explanation as to what's going on, either. in fact, if you want to read the manual, you have to search for it on Google- and even then, you're not going to find it. It's here: http://wiki.maniaplanet.com/en/User_manual . It's also woefully incomplete. If you want any further explanation, you'll have to start mining the forums. This shouldn't be necessary.

And there are bugs, and the interface is a mess, and there appear to be people who have hacked their way to the top of the rankings, and there's absolutely no communication from Nadeo as to what they're aware of and what they're going to be doing in the future.

So, ultimately, this game has a very, very long way to go, and there's a very good chance Ubisoft are going to make you pay extra for all the things your missing. Probably best to avoid it for a few months until everything gets sorted out. Until then, buy Trackmania United on Steam. It's the same price and it'll last you for much longer.
  2. Sep 17, 2011
    I am obsessed and in love. TrackMania 2 Canyon has arcade style car handling that is precise and responsive. Easy to learn and hard to master. Graphics are simple, clean and impressive. The online ranking system is revealed layer by layer in an involving fashion that is massively rewarding. This is my favourite game to play hot seat with a friend or group of friends in local party play. I have had an absolute blast playing this game for the last few and I can see myself playing more and more as time goes on and I get into the massive customisation options and start downloading tracks. Now, excuse me while I go improve my time... Expand
  3. Sep 22, 2011
    Are you kidding me? How do you take a game that has over 6 million players online and make it better? This is how you do it.Trackmania 2 Canyon is absolutely a must own, must play game if you want it all in a multiplayer game,PERIOD.
    Admittedly,it has a few unforgiving learning curves when it comes to the editors and how to's when trying them out but, if you played the former it shouldn't
    be a big hassle.The player and forums are a valuable reference to most questions that need answered.Most folks are friendly and are willing to share info. Gone are the Airbrakes that most were used to in the original and,drifting has taken its place to master and overcome obstacles & mishaps.The overall handling of the new vehicle(s) aren't as tight as the original Stadium car but, with practice you will become proficient enough to hang in there with the best of them. What more could you ask for? New graphics,new editor interface,support,great gameplay.Absolutely a FANTASTIC game.Thanx Nadeo for your dedication and hopefully a new environment ASAP. As far as Godwhacker's complaints...obviously he doesn't get it and probably never will.Too Bad....somethings you just gotta work for to make you appreciate this game and how to make yourself a better player. Expand
  4. Oct 28, 2011
    It's all about graphics, only graphics. This game is very, very boring. There isn't anything new compared to the old versions, the interface itself is almost a ripoff. I'm sorry for Nadeo, but this would work better as an add-on for TM Forever. Driving lacks of techniques to learn and gets repetitive after a few hours of play. Engine seems to be outdated. Sound was the big negative point of older versions and TM2 didn't improve even a bit. The maps looks all the same. While old versions were realistic, but in their own physic rules, TM2 is so artificial, not as titles like 'Drift city', but that kinda breaks the feeling. Many things are not intuitive, editor looks a bit messy, the game lacks of a guide and help section. There's not even two months from the release and 95% of Online servers are empty and the average amount of people Online is decreasing a lot last days. TM2 isn't worthy to buy and, except for the graphics it's by far the weakest game of the TrackMania series. As a recommendation, I suggest TrackMania United Forever, which is a must buy for all racing games fans. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2012
    I don't know what to say.... okay i can't believe i spent i mean wasted 15 euros to this trash. Music sucks this game so bad i mean it's just so irritating. Game includes only one car.... and you can paint it. Yeah one car that's right. This game is so different game from other trackmanias. This game has only one type of tracks and when others has what? 4 or 5, don't remember. Anyway graphics is very detailed but... it looks boring and depressing. Sound effects are irritating too uhhhh. And... yeah 15 euros.... even 8 pringles cans would've been better purchase. Even the **** graphic ds version is sooooo better than this.... :((((((((((((( i want my money back!!!! soooo **** game in a long time. I deleted this game from my computer and get rid of codes and all. I will never be able to play this **** again and that's good but 15 euros!!!! :((((((((((( weeell it was fun at first for less than hour in online soo that makes me give one points you're welcome. I'm not trolling. This is all true. Expand
  6. Jul 10, 2013
    A very fun arcade style racing with awesome huge ramps and stuff. Drifting is very important and the graphics are amazing compared to the older trackmania games! 10/10
  7. Dec 21, 2011
    Thinking driving mechanics, they removed all that was good with TMNF and put in stuff that's more like NFS. This is like a messy splice between two good, but totally different driving series.
  8. Oct 25, 2011
    very interesting game to play, great graphics, challenging gameplay in multiplayer mode, plus the feature editor is making a true gamers are reluctant to move from the front of the monitor.
    but the weakness is the lack of bots. if there is a bot maybe this game will dominate the market with a genre of racing games
  9. Apr 4, 2012
    First you should try trackmania united for free,if you like that game you wont like this one,if you dont like that game you also wont like this one i can play sim racing games or arcade racing or a mix between those two but TrackMania 2 Canyon fail on every part it looks ok and that is it the main problem is the driving,in trackmania united driving is incredible in this one it is a joke,very irritating,also bumper cam view is too low and with all the crashes and spining you are forced to use a case cam and that sucks

driving in trackmania united is one of the things that made that game special and they completly changed that

only thing i do like is how the game looks and the car,i dont like formula and that is it
  10. Oct 27, 2011
    It's still Trackmania. It still has all the features that made it so fun. But Nadeo, unfortunately, has been influenced by current most-selling titles. For example: the titular Canyon looks good, very good, but the blocks with all those additional buildings, fences, and the rest of the stuff, are now harder to be used in the editor.
    If you enjoyed previous TM games, you'll also enjoy
    Canyon. But if you haven't played any of them yet, you may find hard to find yourself in that one. Expand
  11. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is excellent overall, but there is something missing here. This game will even get boring with all the multiplayer servers. Im guessing trackmania series are just getting older...

Also, the servers can go up to 256 players, but the same servers never go up to 100, because of the small popularity.
  12. Jan 3, 2012
    A very fun game indeed...
    I've played TMUF since it arrived and just started Tm2 about 3 weeks ago and am finding it hard to get back to the first because I'm having so much fun with the new one now. I really love the connection between the game & Maniaplanet exchange...Particularly the "install & play" feature.
    It does feel like a cross between Coast & Island environments from TMU, but I
    like it just fine
    and I think the MT interface, though much nicer looking...is still not easy to use. I also agree with Godwhacker and hope the "Puzzle & stunt" modes will be brought back to the game
  13. May 15, 2012
    Easy arcade style handling, short tracks with huge jumps and speed. Thats what this game is about. Biggest difference in previous Trackmanias are drifting and better graphics. Drifting brings new dimension to driving and I never play previous titles anymore.

Single player is boring and works for tutorial, but online is where the fun starts. Since game has track editor there is
    thousands of user created tracks and best thing is that user created tracks are mostly awesome. Usually amateurs make bad content, but you cant go very wrong with the tracks and bad maps are removed from servers. Like previous titles this has RPG tracks too, what are very hard and take hours to finish. Very, very clever. Another thing what makes this game so good is adrenaline rush cause you dont know what is after next jump or curve. Awesomeness of this game is impossible to show in videos or text, you need to play to understand what I'm talking about. Expand
  14. Mar 13, 2012
    Fun, addictive... In a word, excellent. Easy to learn doesn't mean easy to master. You'll spend many hours to find the ideal paths. If you liked other Trackmania, you may also like this. The downside is that it contains only 1 environment and only races (no stunt, platform... ).
  15. Dec 15, 2013
    Beautiful looking game. Has its own map editing tool that is available along with the game itself witch is a real must have. Me and my friends across the globe play together all on one server, pretty much everyday from about noon EST till sometimes 5 or even near till 8 in the evening EST.

Most of also have all the other maniaplanet games and enjoy them very much, we have put well over
    500 hours into canyon alone total and as for the others we have roughly around 10 or 20 so far. Great game, really cool. 10/10 Expand
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    Bought the game but cannot play it. I clicked on the link to play the game. Then I created an account to play. I have searched through the games menus but do not see an option to start a game. The game could possibly be good but it is impossible to know if there is no link to start playing.
  17. Mar 11, 2013
    Superb racing game. The actual gameplay is as you would expect it from a Trackmania Title: fast, crazy, "easy to learn but hard to master", simply addictive. Besides, the building aspect of this game is just fantastic. I can't say how many hours I just spent building my own track in the editor. Again, "easy to learn but hard to master", since it's incredibly easy to create a map, but harder to find nice, smooth, flowy transitions to make it memorable. The ManiaPlanet platform also allows players to create skins, change textures, own 3D objects and even scripts to make an own gamemode. So, if you want to play a highly mod-able racing game with thousands of tracks, get this game, you won't regret it! Expand
  18. Jul 26, 2013
    I'll make it short. If you like Trackmania, get Stadium and/or Valley. If you don't know what Trackmania is, get Stadium and/or Valley.

Why? The Canyon car has very loose handling and is all over the track in turns, while over half of the available track pieces are extremely narrow and loops and wallrides are undriveable due to a lack of grip. Unless you limit yourself to building
    tracks out of the same 20 pieces over and over, it is very hard to create something fun in this game. The elimination of blockmixing (using third party tools to combine blocks) by the developers isn't helping.

With the cheaper Stadium and vastly superior Valley available now, there is very little reason to recommend this black sheep in the Trackmania series. Its dead multiplayer is testament to this. Don't get me wrong don't take your money elsewhere. Just spend it on Nadeo's *other* titles.

1. Feb 13, 2012
    Trackmania is back! Except it's the same old game once again, only more beautiful and somewhat more refined. Racing online is especially fun and addicting, but why is there only one environment and only one single player mode? The fact that this has about the same amount of content as the free Trackmania Nations is disappointing. [Feb 2012]
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    Canyon may well become the definitive version of this smile-inducing stunt racer, but unless you're already a veteran it may be worth waiting a while before taking this sequel for a drive. [Issue#115, p.100]
    Great in singleplayer, incomparable in multiplayer Trackmania 2 brings competition to a whole new level. If the game editor was better there would be no other flaws. [Nov 2011]