Tribes: Ascend PC

7.8

1. Apr 18, 2012
    This FPS is really amazing, Hi-Rez Studios do an amazing job, Tribes: Ascend is incredible, the graphics are awesome, the gameplay incredible. This game is fantastic.
  2. Jun 22, 2016
    In 2011 I stood in line for PAX East and saw a trailer for a game I never thought I'd see. The original Starsiege: Tribes was the first game I ever played online, and I was enthralled by it from my first flag grab. Ascend is very much the inheritor of this classic series' legacy, and though it has modern trappings like regen health and an experience system, these do not greatly detractIn 2011 I stood in line for PAX East and saw a trailer for a game I never thought I'd see. The original Starsiege: Tribes was the first game I ever played online, and I was enthralled by it from my first flag grab. Ascend is very much the inheritor of this classic series' legacy, and though it has modern trappings like regen health and an experience system, these do not greatly detract from the core gameplay. Ascend is easy to start playing, but is just as skill-intensive as it' forebears. You can't just "press button, win game." You have to play hard or go home. Ascend's sprawling levels, varied weapons, blinding speeds, and high-flying acrobatics set it in a class above other shooters, and has a variety of PC-friendly features such as support for custom servers.

However, the game was seemingly abandoned by Hi-Rez studios in the face of their beloved e-sports baby, Smite. Then, from the blue, came a massive quality of life update that retooled Ascend to be more like its predecessors, removing classes in favor of a simpler armor-based loadout system. These changes were all that old-school Tribes players ever wanted, and that's exactly what we got. The game might not have much of a future from here... but what we have is good.
  3. May 7, 2012
    This is online FPS like it used to be, tactical, fast, fun, pure unadulterated enjoyment. Sure, you can complain that you don't have the best weapons, or instead you can just have a shedload of fun and cope with the fact you're probably not going to be number 1 on the leaderboard. SPINFUSER GO!
  4. Jun 8, 2014
    Tribes Ascend is an excellent FPS. The emphasis on mobility makes it faster paced and makes it stand out among other online FPS games. The maps are well designed for this and the graphics are beautiful. Considering it's free to play you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not at least try Tribes Ascend.
  5. Apr 12, 2012
    Good fun. Personally I dont expect masses of depth from a game like that and I didnt get it. However, it does have some fun mechanics, it is fun to play and the FTP balancing act seems to work pretty well. A very good game well worth checking out
  6. Aug 8, 2013
    This game is incredibly fun when i play it with my friends. But whenever i join a lobby with randoms i cant enjoy myself. The pathfinder class ruins ever game mode in this game. I understand he is supposed to be fast, but the fact that in CTF he can literally run laps around the map and cap the flag six time uncontested and run through you 20 turrets without taking a single shot is insane.This game is incredibly fun when i play it with my friends. But whenever i join a lobby with randoms i cant enjoy myself. The pathfinder class ruins ever game mode in this game. I understand he is supposed to be fast, but the fact that in CTF he can literally run laps around the map and cap the flag six time uncontested and run through you 20 turrets without taking a single shot is insane. In TDM he takes the flag and runs laps around the outside of the map and hes so fast the even an entire team of pathfinders cant kill him. Its a fun free game but the fact that this can happen in every game ruins the fun factor and takes out some of the strategy. I enjoy it i really do and i recommend it. Just this one flaw sucks the fun out if it sometimes. Expand
  7. Nov 7, 2012
    As an old fan of the original Tribes and all of the sequels, I was anticipating good things from this game. I am not disappointed. They captured the feel of the original game play and the mechanics and controls are extremely responsive. Could they improve the game? Sure, but I have no idea how. Sometimes a classic is good enough. Anyone for a blue plate special?
  8. Apr 13, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game. If you liked Star Siege Tribes, you'll love this game, it's a total throwback to the old school. It is definitely a different type of play style when you compare it to something like Modern Warfare. Also, to anyone comparing this to Halo, let me say this; Tribes was first. For free too? Definitely get it. I put it up there with TF2.
  9. Jul 22, 2012
    Had loads of fun with this game at beta. Then it just got worse. And worse. And worse. And worse with every single update they released which is odd considering Hi-Rez studios pride themselves on listening on the community which has clearly not been the case for this game. Originally, they threw a few mixed updates both with good and bad, nerfing some of the obnoxious explosive weapons butHad loads of fun with this game at beta. Then it just got worse. And worse. And worse. And worse with every single update they released which is odd considering Hi-Rez studios pride themselves on listening on the community which has clearly not been the case for this game. Originally, they threw a few mixed updates both with good and bad, nerfing some of the obnoxious explosive weapons but then they tugged down the weapons that requires actual aiming and started adding more explosives instead with not the slightest hint of concern for balancement in regards to rewarding players for aim or tactics. I thought that all the good stuff had to be in the paying section so I threw them a couple of bucks to try more content just to be met with even worse weapons, including a set of daggers that you could throw for around 200-300 damage each depending on enemy armor quite slowly with extremely precise aiming and timing required or pick up the standard silenced SMG that spews out hundreds of rounds per minute for 50 damage each. I asked for a refund not too long afterwards, explaining my disappointment and they insisted on having my account closed due to their inability to retract purchases manually which is a shame because now I've lost all hope of returning to the game once things have been polished but hey, at least they honored people refunds which is more than I can say for most US companies right now. Expand
  10. May 7, 2012
    Can't really complain about a free game can you? The game seems pretty straightforward as all FPS games are. The game modes are pretty traditional like CTF and Team Deathmatch. The addictive part is the leveling system. Like the online of CoD, the more you play, the more you are rewarded for XP. You can use these XP to upgrade your character. While this is so much fun, the differenceCan't really complain about a free game can you? The game seems pretty straightforward as all FPS games are. The game modes are pretty traditional like CTF and Team Deathmatch. The addictive part is the leveling system. Like the online of CoD, the more you play, the more you are rewarded for XP. You can use these XP to upgrade your character. While this is so much fun, the difference between the starter character and the fully upgraded character is feast or famine making a pretty unbalanced game. There are at least a dozen different classes to choose from, so "completing" the game would take a really long time. The graphics are stunning especially the weapons and the gameplay is really entertaining. Skiing down the mountains and jetpacking in the air is really fun and also creates a huge challenge that makes taking down enemy players extremely satisfying. Overall, this game is definitely worth the download. Expand
  11. Aug 10, 2012
    It's comeback of very fresh series and great evidence that games similiar to old school FPS games (Increadibly high skill gap, very fast gameplay) are still great and haven't become worse. It lacks in reminder of how great singleplayer campaigns can be made without overscripting, but who cares! Even having multiplayer only game is enough!

The fresh gameplay works fantastically. It

The fresh gameplay works fantastically. It doesn't work as well in closed enviroments when compared to open enviroments due to the game's explosive focus. But it still works. Every kill feels very satisfying, making you play the game longer and longer.

But sure this can't be just praising of the game? Well, there are few weapons, which would take forever to unlock without using real money. Yes, there needs to be a way for the developers to have money, but when the only primary explosive weapon of a specific class is Pay-2-Use, it does get a little annoying. As a good thing though, the game isin't Pay-2-Win, even with weapons like that.

Can I honestly find any other bad things? No. So just like many others, I recommend this game. Its quality flies over 99.9999% of the other FPS games released today.
  12. May 6, 2012
    This game looks pretty, and is easy to jump in and play. For me, though, I found the physics and controls to be very wonky and unintuitive. The skiing + jet pack stuff just doesn't feel smooth to me, and I never really felt like I was going that fast either (even at speeds where I would never get shot or hit things that I was shooting at). There also seem to be class / weapon balanceThis game looks pretty, and is easy to jump in and play. For me, though, I found the physics and controls to be very wonky and unintuitive. The skiing + jet pack stuff just doesn't feel smooth to me, and I never really felt like I was going that fast either (even at speeds where I would never get shot or hit things that I was shooting at). There also seem to be class / weapon balance issues, but that's not unusual for a game like this. I can see why people would enjoy playing this, but it's just not my style I guess. Expand
  13. May 2, 2012
    been playing since alpha and really enjoy the game. improvements seem to come at a steady and often pace. my only real complaint is that the alternate costumes cost too much.
  14. Aug 1, 2014
    This is one of my favorite shooters to date because it is free to play on Steam. It also has a futuristic setting attached to it and really adds the 'fantasy' spectrum to it unlike FPS Military shooters which means all rules are thrown out.

I think the coolest thing about this game is the jetpack/skiing abilities. When you get really good, the action gets really fast paced and that is what I like in games because I really can't stand intro movies and to much talking because movies are for old people/crackers.

Why I am giving this game a ten is because it is free to play and the graphics are great as well and you have the option of buying upgrades to make your game play more dynamic. Adding to that statement though, you can also earn the same things you are able to buy so essentially if you play enough, you have a free game that has great graphics, fluid gameplay, and a really great game play overall. That's why this game is great if you are just a casual gamer because you don't need all the 'special stuff' to have fun. But since it's free, it could turn you into a gamer because you might start getting happy about your progression and it will turn you on to video games.

Because video games make you smarter. #crackers #FWhitey
  15. Jun 2, 2012
    I think this game most accurately is a reboot of Tribes: Annihilation, which was the definitive base game community on T1. Great new visuals and a design team that constantly improves maps the players deem 'untribesworthy'. Anyone complaining of the weapon balance is silly, this game has so many variables it's really more of a 'rock paper scissors' and everyone has a weakness. You'llI think this game most accurately is a reboot of Tribes: Annihilation, which was the definitive base game community on T1. Great new visuals and a design team that constantly improves maps the players deem 'untribesworthy'. Anyone complaining of the weapon balance is silly, this game has so many variables it's really more of a 'rock paper scissors' and everyone has a weakness. You'll find the best ways to use every weapon. 350 hours and counting, the distance shots only get more gratifying, do yourself a huge favor and try the fastest most beautiful shooter on the market in 2012. And it's f2p, but not pay-2-win. Seek therapy when you start seeing routes to ski among large mountains in your vicinity, or worse, holding the CTRL button on a keyboard that doesn't exist. Expand
  16. Oct 9, 2012
    I played this for at least 50 hours in the beta, and have put another hundred in since its been on Steam.....this is a simply amazing game.
    The first FPS I have every played that focused more on movement than shooting.
    The first FPS I have every played that focused more on movement than shooting.
    I know of no better feeling then skiing up the enemies base ramp at 180km an hour, snatching their flag, and turning around on the ski out to spinfuse some retard that thinks he's playing Call of Duty in space suits. Also this is truly free to play and not "pay-to-win"
  17. Aug 2, 2012
    Great free to play game. It's NOT too much a "pay to win" game, and that's the main pro i've found. The game is original (different to normal FPS), very funny and skill based: at level 1 i killed many high level guys only with the default weapons. Of course unlocking new stuff is a bit long without paying anything, but it could be done.
  18. Apr 23, 2012
    An awesome take-back to the glory days of Starseige Tribes, Hi-Rez did the series justice which it hasnt seen since the very first Tribes game. SHAZBOT!
  19. Jul 28, 2012
    This game is tightly designed around speed and fun and I couldn't have dreamed of a better version of the game (actually thought it might suck like the previous version but it's actually super awesome). Wait, why am I wasting time writing this review? Gotta go fast!Fantastic game, free to play but not pay to win
  20. Apr 13, 2016
    great game, and not a bit pay to win, like most free games where ripping a, go and try this awesome game good gameplay, have skill and more and looks okay
  21. Apr 19, 2012
    Oh gosh, where do i start? I love FPS genre, I play alot of shooters, single/multi alike. I got sucked into the world of Tribes almost instantly. This game is purely awesome. It does everything right and when it doesnt - devs quickly alter it to match what community demands. It's great to know that Tribes: Ascend is still expanding, still getting better. Plenty of goodies, dlc's andOh gosh, where do i start? I love FPS genre, I play alot of shooters, single/multi alike. I got sucked into the world of Tribes almost instantly. This game is purely awesome. It does everything right and when it doesnt - devs quickly alter it to match what community demands. It's great to know that Tribes: Ascend is still expanding, still getting better. Plenty of goodies, dlc's and patches ahead of us. I dont consider it as Free to Play... because it's almost a crime not to pay for it, it is SO ENJOYABLE. Yes, it is free. It gives you three basic classes and a possibility to upgrade them without paying a penny. It will take more time to unlock your desirable gear, but it is possible to fully enjoy this game without contributing any money... Nevertheless, i felt guilty not to pay. Hi-Rez Studios should know that this game made my day a lot of times and still Im totally in love with their game. Ok, but more about the product - Tribes: Ascend is fast paced, skill-oriented, teamplay shooter. If offers great gameplay and huge, well designed maps (most of the time about 32 players at once). The gimmick of Tribes is skiing - as you move down the slope you can slide and gain momentum. Then, jet packing uphill helps you maintain speed. Combine this and you can achieve even more than 200km/h of pure speed! (when playing the lightest class) Hard to imagine? Watch some gameplays or trailers on youtube. Some people here complained about "going thru the map and meeting no one" or "it's to fast to hit anybody". Sorry, but that's BS. Game is perfectly designed and I suggest PLAYING IT for real and not making stuff up. For those saying "it's boring and easy, just wait for somebody to land" I recommend watching some 'blue plate special' (air kills) videos on yt. Also, play Capture The Flag. Team Deathmatch is more of a warm-up before the real thing. The same with the Arena Mode. It's all good, but CTF is THE ESSENCE of Tribes. Skill and teamplay is all that matters. See you on the battlefields, sandrakers! 10 out of 10. It's a perfect game for me. Expand
  22. Jul 11, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is probably the only online FPS I've actually enjoyed playing, no other game has you capping the flag at 260km/h screaming WOOHOO WOOHOO as enemies try to shoot you out of the sky with lasers and **** The skiing mechanic is so much fun and jetpacks are just icing on the cake. Every class offers a completely different style of play. It's so much fun and I'd recommend it toTribes: Ascend is probably the only online FPS I've actually enjoyed playing, no other game has you capping the flag at 260km/h screaming WOOHOO WOOHOO as enemies try to shoot you out of the sky with lasers and **** The skiing mechanic is so much fun and jetpacks are just icing on the cake. Every class offers a completely different style of play. It's so much fun and I'd recommend it to anyone. Not to mention that it's also free and it's not pay to win since anything you can get with real money can also be obtained through play. Expand
  23. Apr 12, 2012
    If you are tired of Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Counter-Strike clones and want a much faster-paced game, check out Tribes Ascend. Team Fortress 2 is still the best F2P shooter out there, but Tribes Ascend is a very close 2nd place. Pretty much Tribes Ascend's main thing is Skiing, where you become frictionless. Most of the time you will be going at ~100 km/h, dedicated flagcappers goIf you are tired of Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Counter-Strike clones and want a much faster-paced game, check out Tribes Ascend. Team Fortress 2 is still the best F2P shooter out there, but Tribes Ascend is a very close 2nd place. Pretty much Tribes Ascend's main thing is Skiing, where you become frictionless. Most of the time you will be going at ~100 km/h, dedicated flagcappers go ~200 km/h, and the best go over 400 km/h. There are only 3 hitscan weapons: Snipers, Shotguns, and some pistols. Everything else is projectile-based, so you need to predict where the enemy will be. There are 9 classes (Unlike the previous in the series which is completely free customization), 3 light, 3 medium, 3 heavy. They all serve a different role. For example, Pathfinder is the fastest class, and is used for flag capturing and chasing. Meanwhile Infiltrator can cloak and has high-damage weapons, which make them excellent at destroying the base from the inside. Juggernauts are very slow but very powerful long-range artillery. But anyway, away from all that class discussion the game is easy to learn, difficult to master. The classes are generally balanced (Although Infiltrator is a bit too powerful currently), but usually unlocking different equipment for them is ridiculously expensive ($8 for major weapons or 100,000 EXP, for example). The community is full of /v/irgins, so mention ANYTHING Reddit and they will freak out and start blindly hating. Overall it's one of the best F2P games ever made, and you should stop what you're doing and download it today. Expand
  24. Jun 17, 2012
    It the start it was fun because of the jetpacks and skiing which really added some dynamic movement to the game that you rarely see in other shooters. It was fun just skiing around trying to go as fast as possible or to fly around with your jetpack in the middle of combat. But after some time the game got boring and you began to notice all the flaws and the poor balance. Now i haven'tIt the start it was fun because of the jetpacks and skiing which really added some dynamic movement to the game that you rarely see in other shooters. It was fun just skiing around trying to go as fast as possible or to fly around with your jetpack in the middle of combat. But after some time the game got boring and you began to notice all the flaws and the poor balance. Now i haven't played the game in a while and though it can be fun at times if you play it with your friends there are much better games out there. Expand
  25. Apr 28, 2012
    Tribes:Ascend seems like a good game, and is mostly. However, this is the kind of game where the little things are eventually going to become annoying. I mean mostly weapons with area of effect only, deathmatch where kills do not matter (but holding the flag does) , capture the flag maps that seem to be impossible to defend, a generator that doesn't do much on the best days, and loses theTribes:Ascend seems like a good game, and is mostly. However, this is the kind of game where the little things are eventually going to become annoying. I mean mostly weapons with area of effect only, deathmatch where kills do not matter (but holding the flag does) , capture the flag maps that seem to be impossible to defend, a generator that doesn't do much on the best days, and loses the game on the others. Even the unlock system is pretty obnoxious, you get to unlock a weapon or a class that might be virtually useless, without any information whatsoever, and they do cost a bit. The practice/training session could let you try all classes, but no. That would be too easy, I guess. The innovative skiing system is nice, but tbh I wasn't really so good at it. I can ski, but I can't really sky and shoot so much. I guess I should mention, most of the weapons fire plasma projectiles with weight, so you have to lead your aim. What's worse, they inherit your speed and momentum, so if you jump, for example, the plasma "blob" will inherit the jump momentum, and go slightly upwards. This is actually a pretty neat change from the usual point and click. Oh, yeah,and I forgot to mention the voice chat spam. "Shazbot" will become a part of the english vocabulary soon enough, and part of your nightmares way before that. I did have fun killing some guy or the other, so the game has it's moments, but for me, games are about winning. I couldn't figure a way to win in this game. Maybe you can. Expand
  26. May 29, 2012
    Best multiplayer FPS in years gameplay wise. More balanced than prevous tribes with a lot less focus on vehicles. But also lacks some of it's features which does let it down a bit and the maps are a lot smaller as well. Also no 3rd party modding was what kept the old tribes alive, it doesn't have that either.
  27. May 22, 2012
    A great fun game, but you will soon realise that overpowered weapons are released every month, meaning that if you do not get them straight away you will be at a severe disadvantage. Then one month later, a nerf to the old and overpower the new. Really is a shame as they had a great product at the start. So a month has passed since I wrote the paragraph above, guess what, nerfed the old OPA great fun game, but you will soon realise that overpowered weapons are released every month, meaning that if you do not get them straight away you will be at a severe disadvantage. Then one month later, a nerf to the old and overpower the new. Really is a shame as they had a great product at the start. So a month has passed since I wrote the paragraph above, guess what, nerfed the old OP weapons, released an attempt at a balanced OP weapon. Automatics dominate the game to the point that it is just another shooter, no point in going fast because you will be gunned down, no point in using any other weapon other than the smgs because if you are not using them, you will constantly die to them, this really drags the gameplay down, from a fast paced shooter to another spray and pray title.

Loads of issues with the mechanics, badly optimised, every patch lowers framerates and they do not fix any problems instead they focus on releasing more content to get a quick dollar. I very much doubt this game will last longer than another couple of months unless drastic changes take place, even then it will probably be too late as the playerbase is already dropping fast. It is getting harder and harder to get a full game.

They really have shot themselves in the foot by focussing on money grabs instead of proper balance and fixing core issues.

Don't let me put you off, try the game out for yourself, it is free after all. Just do not rush into buying gold, you will probably not spend it. Adios Tribes Ascend, you could've/should've been so great.
  28. Apr 24, 2012
    It's free to play, so I can't complain much, but this is simply a F2P model that does not work, and with Sony publishing Tribes Ascend it's no surprise. It plays out as what you'd expect, you can level up normally (and rather slowly), or go the Pay to Pave option and obtain gold to buy market items, perks and skins. It's not with this that the game becomes broken, though many weaponsIt's free to play, so I can't complain much, but this is simply a F2P model that does not work, and with Sony publishing Tribes Ascend it's no surprise. It plays out as what you'd expect, you can level up normally (and rather slowly), or go the Pay to Pave option and obtain gold to buy market items, perks and skins. It's not with this that the game becomes broken, though many weapons become more and more overpowered with each consequential update that supposedly fixes these problems. It's the fact the disbalancement of F2P v P2P players becomes overwhelmingly clear through the horrible in-game matchmaking, which ends up pitting players with low points against MVPlayers most of the time. That being said, the pros of Tribes come from it's insanely fast-paced gameplay, intense objective-based modes, and unique graphically-stirring maps and designs. Cons quickly appear in minor, but overwhelmingly apparent doses still. The interface is clunky, OP weapons have not been fixed or have been made worse, and with many other problems surrounding matchmaking and gameplay, Tribes: Ascend loses its grand appeal in the first few hours, but still delivers to Tribes fans and those looking for a new skill-based shooter not unlike Quake. Given time, I'm sure that these problems will be ironed up, but the problem still lies in why they released the game when the beta clearly needed attention to fixes as well. Expand
  29. Apr 12, 2012
    At first I was worried that Hi-Rez Studios would screw the Tribes formula (like what Irrational Games did) but now I want them to make the rest of the Tribes games if they can, The Graphics are great the maps are fun and huge and we still have the good ole' game mechanics of Tribes 2. Plus its Free to Play!
  30. Aug 29, 2012
    A very fun and addicting multiplayer FPS, with very fast paced combat, different classes, and it's free! The reward system is similar to League of Legends, after every match you play you get EXP, which you can use to buy new weapons, you get more EXP for winning a match, and doing well. Or you could buy Gold with real money and use that to unlock things. As you use weapons they level up,A very fun and addicting multiplayer FPS, with very fast paced combat, different classes, and it's free! The reward system is similar to League of Legends, after every match you play you get EXP, which you can use to buy new weapons, you get more EXP for winning a match, and doing well. Or you could buy Gold with real money and use that to unlock things. As you use weapons they level up, providing new bonuses, like more damage, better fire rate, accuracy, ect. It's very similar to Quake. This is a game worth playing if you're sick of FPS games like "Battlefield: Generic Modern Warfare 6" Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Contrary to the classic gameplay of an FPS that requires constant cover, slow advances, crouching and prone positioning, the battles of Ascend happen on the ground, as well as in the air and in tremendous speeds- thus changing drastically the classic tactical approaches of the genre. It's a breath of fresh air in the online FPS world. [September 2012]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Arcade online shooter surprises with fresh and fast paced playability and is a very good alternative to paid services with its free-to-play model. [Issue#220]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is a worthy successor to its forebears, bringing the same inimitable, hectic play style married to graphics that will stretch even the most capable machine.