8.2

1. Aug 20, 2014
    I really loved this hidden gem. I think its gameplay is innovative, the graphics are super-good-looking. The length of the game was the best for a full-time employee.

It is simple, one of the best games i played for years!
  2. Jul 29, 2014
    Liked the D&D theme not a great fan of the platforming genre, so I was pleasantly surprised how absorbing this game was overall. How you can use the three principle characters and switch between their different abilities to solve a problem is really fun in single player mode. Not tried co-op so can't comment how well that works. Oh yeah and the graphics, sound and voice acting is top notch and the story is half way decent too. Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2014
    A TERRIFIC MASTERPIECE! This is truly the best 2D platformer I have ever played! With fantastic visuals, nice storytelling, music that makes you feel that you are in your dream fantasy world and fantastic narrator. This game is currently on sale for only 0.79 EUR (price from 1/3/2014) and the Trine Complete Collection (which includes Trine and Trine 2: Complete Story) for only 3.24 EUR (price from 1/3/2014). This is a true masterpiece, if you want to follow the story, I recommend Trine then Trine 2, if you want to play the prettiest, play Trine 2 Expand
  4. CBZ
    Jul 15, 2013
    One of those little gems that you will love. I got it on Steam summer sale for really cheap together with Trine 2 and so far (more than halfway through) its a fantastic game with amazing visuals and good game mechanics,
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    An excellent 2D platformer, and I generally hate this type of game. The wizard in particular is enjoyable to play with- there is no jumping puzzle you can't get through with him. It was enjoyable to have a platformer reward you for thinking outside the box. Some parts can be extremely frustrating, but it might just have been me being an idiot.
  6. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, great platormer gameplay. the graphics are pretty good for a side scroller and i dont know of many games like it for the pc. maybe rocket knight, but that one is a bit different in gameplay. trine uses three characters that combine their skills to get past each level. its really fun to play with another in co-op mode. the story revolves three characters a wizard, thief, and warrior that come together to save their world from evil unleashed. anything less than 9, is saying there are platformers better than this on the pc... Expand
  7. Jan 10, 2013
    I just checked a couple of screenshots before getting Trine and thought about having it as a resting game from some heavy time-consuming titles I was playing.

Still when I started the game and saw the story and the amazing visuals... felt so happy to have bought it. Not to mention the collaborative approach that makes you think that one skill is never enough but is team work what can
    make things really really work.

I completely congratulate the company and developers for this game that gave me some really nice hours of fun. You can see in every aspect of the game that the people were putting their heart, from the visuals, to the gameplay, the story to the puzzles, its a game designed and developed with passion.

The only downturn is that the "Very Hard" difficult only unlocks when you first beat the game and I am the kind of person who would like to play a game only once and in maximum difficulty, besides being only slight difference among them.

Thumbs up for this amazing game!!!
  8. Jan 3, 2013
    Trine is a good example of what happens when developers set out on a quest to make the greatest game ever. Interactive physics puzzles, useful and fun characters combined with breathtaking visuals so awesome it's magical, make this game worthy of passing on to your grandkids.
  9. Aug 16, 2012
    I enjoyed the game and played through it about four times. It had some challenges and was a really beautiful world to explore. I would have given it a 10 if it was more non-linear... only out of what I prefer but I recommend it as a physics guy.
  10. Jul 17, 2012
    Trine is a game that takes pride in it's work. From the story, to the graphics, to the level design every part of Trine shows care, polish, and pride. That is up to the end. There are no spoilers here, just know that the ending is very anti-climatic. The ending is what lead me to give Trine a 9 and not a 10. The path to the end, however, is very enjoyable and will keep you enthralled and frustrated at the same time. It took me 2 days or 12 hours to complete Trine and the whole time I just couldn't seem to force myself away from the PC. If you like puzzle platforming, then you will certainly love this game. Actually, if you just like games that require a bit of free thinking and puzzle solving then you will enjoy it. It can get frustrating at times, but remember: If at first you don't succeed, Trine, Trine again. Collapse
  11. May 3, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game. The game is very fun, not too long, not too short. The 2D gameplay is great and reminds me of Castlevania 3 with its varied characters each with their own unique strengths. In Trine the characters are well balanced, the wizard almost being an exception since his only offense is to drop a box or plank on enemies and you can't move while you're summoning, but this vulnerability makes it interesting, especially if he's the only character left alive. The music is absolutely beautiful and perfectly suited to the game and just for listening in general. I completed all achievements and was still left wanting more. Expand
  12. Apr 8, 2012
    At first glance Trine might seem like a simple side-scrolling adventure game, but there is actually a lot more to it than that. The game has a lot of charm to it. Although its story is not anything too special, the game's main strengths lie in its absolutely beautiful graphics, very magical music, and incredibly fun puzzles. You get to play as three characters, that is as all three in one go with the option to swap between them during the game as each one is useful for different situations. You have a Thief who wields a bow to destroy enemies from a distance and also has a grappling hook for climbing purposes. You have a Wizard who can levitate various objects and also to create new ones and to drop them on enemies. And you also have a Knight who is the most action-oriented of the three and is mostly for the moments when you're swarmed by groups of enemies and need to go melee style. As a result of being able to control any of the three characters at any time, the gameplay has a lot of spice and variety to it. It never gets repetitive. Although you do encounter a lot of enemies throughout, the game is also filled with a huge variety of different puzzles and obstacles which you need to overcome by using the skills your characters possess. A lot of the time there are even multiple ways to solve a certain puzzle. Like you could build a bridge with a Wizard character, or you might wish to instead use the Thief and her grappling hook to swing across. A single playthrough only lasts about 5 or so hours in total, but those 5 hours are really great as you get to enjoy the visual, auditory, and intellectual beauty of the game, not to mention that the replayability is good too, so you're likely to come back to the game a lot. Expand
  13. Mar 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise of this game is similar to that of SNES game The Lost Vikings. You switch between three distinct characters and use their unique abilities to navigate through puzzle-filled action-platformer levels. Trine really kicks it up a notch though, with realistic physics interaction and gorgeous, fluid visuals. Although your character only moves along the 2D plane, there's a lot of stuff going on in the background. Huge blades will swing from the background, past your player and into the foreground, before slicing back again. It's a really special touch that is testimony to the level of visual detail in Trine. There's a huge amount of colour in the environments, which are extremely distinct from one another but all look beautiful. Characters move well for the most part, which is handy seeing as most of the puzzles involve jumping around on tiny platforms. Trine includes some light RPG elements; you can collect experience that allows you to upgrade your abilities when you level up. You can also find lots of unique items throughout the game, some of which are tailored for certain characters. Speaking of the characters; you'll definitely be using all of them. All three characters can solve most of the puzzles in the game, but you'll quickly learn which to use in certain situations. Because you shift between the three characters/classes so often, the RPG elements really come into play, and you'll want to spread out your items fairly evenly. Combat is fun, if a little repetitive, with enemies such as sword, bow and fire-wielding skeletons, ferocious ogres and smaller creatures like bats and spiders. Obviously the knight is the best character in close quarter combat situations, with his strong sword and hammer attacks and the ability to block.
    The dialogue is pretty funny at times, especially thanks to the great voice acting. It makes you care for the characters a little more than if they had generic, similar voices. All in all Trine is a great game, taking about seven hours to finish and with a stack of replay value. Pick it up on Steam for $15 and you won't have many regrets.
  14. Feb 14, 2012
    The art in this game is stunning, I enjoyed the beautiful environments, vibrant colors and great visual effects. The story is simple enough and gets you into the story enough to want to play but doesn't bore you with too many details. There are some game-play issues especially with the wizard's moves and its hard not to rely too much on one character. But for me at least the amazing art, great game-play, good music and great narration more than make up for this issues. GREAT GAME. Expand
  15. Dec 30, 2011
    Fantastic visuals. Someone cared deeply about the art. The voice acting is great, the game play is very fun. Don't hesitate to get this or it's sequel.
  16. Dec 12, 2011
    This has been the most suprising game that i have played in quite some time.
    I often remember those times where game developers still put gamplay on first priority and graphics second. Games that were Epic for their time, remember games like GODS on DOS, Shadow of Memories on Windows 95, games like that! games that sucked you right in and made you not even notice the minor downsides.
    Trine
    is that game this time, it offers a good old fashion platform type of gameplay with some new twists, a good old fashion story, and wonderfull graphics of this generation.
    Just buy the game its worth every penny :-) and then some.
  17. Oct 8, 2011
    It's part puzzle and part adventure game with a light touch of RPG thrown into the mix. For an independent game it's amazingly well produced and has a flow that few games can match. Reminds me of the first time I played the first Prince of Persia. Fascinating puzzles with an addictive mechanics.
  18. Sep 19, 2011
    A full 10/10! Not many games are worthy of full marks....this one is. Side scrollers seem to have all but dissapered, well not anymore. I have always been a fan of these types of games so maybe my score is a little bias but i love it. 3 different characters with different skills, all well balanced. Good mixture of combat and puzzle solving. A masterpiece!
  19. Aug 5, 2011
    Wonderful graphics and music quality, all along with an extremely smooth and varied gameplay.
    Sure, the game is relatively short, but it has an above average level of re-playability, since you can strive to get all the hidden bonuses and try to maximize your gameplay with one of the three characters available.
    Moreover the major point some reviews brought at release (a little expensive for
    the play time it offers) is now definitely moot, since you can easily find the game at a discounted price (and it means that it is now extremely cheap...).
    If you have any minor interest in platforming or fantasy or just generically nice-and-easy games, I cannot but recommend Trine...
  20. Jul 26, 2011
    An excellent platformer, looks beautiful, and a lot of fun. Local co-op available (if you have a spare XBOX 360 controller) Buy it now, it's definitely worth it.
  21. Jul 18, 2011
    Great graphics. Puzzles that will make you think twice before trying them out. Straightforward game play for beginners and advanced players. For those who are looking to overcome challenges and solve puzzles with a drop of combat and adventure, this is a game that is worth your time.
  22. Jul 6, 2011
    This is the kind of game that is often overlooked in the sea of games but it's a real gem. My game library consists of every other type of game but this one and let me tell you..... I can't put it down now. It's very pleasing to the eyes and fun for the brain. I've got fast paced racing and ultra violent shooters .... but this game has gotten a good chunk of time since I got it last month. It's like a sweet little escape into a pretty world with fun physics puzzles and a little old fashioned combat. Expand
  23. Jul 5, 2011
    Get this game!!!!

I normally don't like or play "side scroll 3rd person games." But Steam had Trine on sale for only $1.99. I had to stop playing and come write this review I was so impressed! In fact, I've never played a game that was designed like this. An amazing narrator tells a story while you play, music really sets the mood and the challenges and obstacles are fun. It's a perfect
    recipe I had never imaged before. Everything is amazing about this game. The voice over, the music, the story and the graphics pull this game together. It's a breath of fresh air and a great change from all the other cookie cutter games out there.
    I feel bad now only paying $1.99 for it, and feel I should send the creators another $18 dollars. It's worth it!

Get it and play it! You will love it! I don't give great rating to ANYONE unless I feel they deserve it. Love this game!
  24. Mar 15, 2011
    Graphics/Performance(10/10): The game has a three dimensional backdrop but it plays in 2 dimensions. Not bleeding edge graphics, but not too shabby either. Game runs like a dream.

Singleplayer(8/10): Good length, however most levels begin to feel very â
  25. Jan 14, 2011
    Trine is really a beautiful game and honestly the best platformer I've played in years. The atmosphere and art style make it incredible easy for you to dive into this mystic, yet colorful and lovely fantasy world (that, by the way, looks astonishing thanks to the modern engine) and the storytelling makes you feel like you're in a Grimm fairytale. The typical platforming elements combined with the physics puzzles and hack'n'slash moments make for an amazing experience. What might be a downpoint to some is actually one of the best arguments FOR the game: it's as entertaining as you make it. Uncreative players will soon find themselves using the same techniques for every obstacle and puzzle over and over again. If you let your fantasy do the work you can make it an incredibly entertaining experience though. The only downpoint is that the end feels rather aprupt (which is, according to the developers, due to deadlines). Overall it's simply fantastic and, at least to me, one of the best games of 2009 at all. Expand
  26. Nov 18, 2010
    Awesome game, it is so beautiful. I finished it but kept coming back and playing it again and again. It is exactly as another reviewer put it, I fell in love with Trine. I can´t wait for Trine 2!
  27. Aug 17, 2010
    What is Trine? Trine is a platform game. Trine is also in a sense a puzzle game. You should consider it a more problem-solving/logic Mario Brothers. You get 3 unique characters to control and you use their powers to progress through stages collecting powerups and defeating monsters while circumventing pitfalls and traps with your abilities. The great part about this is that there is a physics engine giving the game gravity that effects just about everything.

This isn't simply box pushing and jumping from platform to platform, this is a box stacking, pendulum swinging, puzzle of motion that I've put many ours happily into. There is also a very strong artistic effort into the backgrounds and all the other details that just drip with emotion and beauty.
  28. Jul 17, 2012

1. Trine is simply an unpretentious and effortlessly lovely adventure, if never quite special enough to nudge into the echelons of 9/10 and above. Immediately likeable, hugely enjoyable and brimming with charming detail every step of the way, your enjoyment may depend on how many friends you can share the journey with, but few would regret time spent in the company of this trio.
  2. Trine isn't as new and exciting as current 2D platforming king Braid was on its release, but its combination of tight controls, exiting action and physics-based puzzles makes it easy to recommend to platforming fans. It's a shame the multiplayer isn't more interesting, but when played alone it shouldn't be hard to get many hours of fun out of Frozenbyte's impressive looking title.
  3. A charming and excellently executed platform game. [Issue#22, p.57]