7.8

1. Aug 28, 2011
    This game is just what the fans of the series and the genre in general want and expect. A fun, relaxing game with decent graphics and gameplay complex enough to keep you occupied, but not frustrated. Tropico 3 was nigh on perfect and the developers just built a little bit on that foundation. Some will aruge it's the same old game, but why fix it if it's not broken? A major overhaul oftenThis game is just what the fans of the series and the genre in general want and expect. A fun, relaxing game with decent graphics and gameplay complex enough to keep you occupied, but not frustrated. Tropico 3 was nigh on perfect and the developers just built a little bit on that foundation. Some will aruge it's the same old game, but why fix it if it's not broken? A major overhaul often results in destroying what used to be an entertaining and fulfilling game...If you liked the previous versions of the game, you'll enjoy this one just as much. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2011
    This is, at best, a $20 expansion pack, nowhere near worth $40.
  3. Sep 5, 2011
    I realy liked Tropico 3 and was looking forward for Tropico 4. But.. nothing new, Same graphics, same icons, they just added some new buildings and scenarios. looks like addon, not sequel. Definitely not worth 45eur.
  4. Sep 2, 2011
    "Don't buy this, instead grab Tropico 3 Gold Edition for half the price. This adds about 15 new buildings, no new leader customization options, minimal rebalancing, no moddability, and it honestly looks uglier than 3 unless you're running on the highest settings. This is, at best, a $20 expansion pack, nowhere near worth $40."

Literally, listen to this review. Go and buy Tropico 3.
  5. Jan 14, 2012
    Despite this game being exactly same as Tropico 3 it doesn't make this game worse. All steps forward and improvements that were done, were done for good. Best city building sim up to date. Beware, can be a bit difficult for complete newbies.
  6. Aug 31, 2011
    The real score is 8.5 to 9.

This game really is what Tropico 3 should have been in the first place.
    Great fun and good tutorial. Very recommendable for both starters and fans.
  7. Sep 3, 2011
    I played Tropico 2 for weeks. Played Tropico 3 for 2 days. Played Trop 3 Gold for hours. Trop 4 for minutes. Congratulations. The series is dead now. â
  8. Aug 31, 2011
    Been a fan of the Tropico series, the only thing I feel for the fourth instalment is disappointment. Music has changed, a few extra features such as more missions, more buildings, but other then the few extra features, and they are only a few, it is the same game as the last. To top it off, graphics is worse then the third. Sorry but I didn't feel it to be the game I was expecting afterBeen a fan of the Tropico series, the only thing I feel for the fourth instalment is disappointment. Music has changed, a few extra features such as more missions, more buildings, but other then the few extra features, and they are only a few, it is the same game as the last. To top it off, graphics is worse then the third. Sorry but I didn't feel it to be the game I was expecting after playing the 3rd one. Expand
  9. Sep 2, 2011
    There is some controversy over the quality of this title. Some enjoy the changes that have been made, and others wish there had been more. I'm going to lay out how I feel about some of the hot issues.

Graphics: The graphics on this edition of Tropico are very similar to Tropico 3. If anything, I'd say the graphics are about the same, but they're optimized. The visuals are cleaner, and

Graphics:
    The graphics on this edition of Tropico are very similar to Tropico 3. If anything, I'd say the graphics are about the same, but they're optimized. The visuals are cleaner, and don't lag like they did in three. Most buildings got a new texture or two as well, even though buildings like tenements and apartments are still lackluster.

Gameplay:
    There are new buildings with unique abilities, more ways to build your economy, and better defined consequences for your actions. New npc's will issue the will of their faction and will let you know how they will react if you decide to do one thing over the other. Buildings like the Academy of Science can clone you in case of a lethal incident, and weather stations can protect you from natural disasters. Yet despite the changes, it still feels like Tropico 3, and a major complaint many people share is that this game feels like Tropico 3.5. The game certainly does feel more fleshed out, and I wouldn't go so far as to call it Tropico 3.5, but it still feels like they could have done more. Sure crime is more visible, but it still feels as invisible as pollution. Having the npc criminals run around and actually rob someone would have been a nice touch, for example. It's the little things that Tropico 4 is still lacking.
  10. Sep 4, 2011
    i have only looked at the demo for 2 minutes, and from that i can see a handful of new buildings has been added..... and thats about it

it is EXACTLY the same as tropico 3, but with different missions, and a few new buildings interface has been altered, but is essentially exactly the same but i was kind of expecting this, as the trailer put up FACEBOOK AND TWITTER INTEGRATION! as if it

interface has been altered, but is essentially exactly the same

but i was kind of expecting this, as the trailer put up FACEBOOK AND TWITTER INTEGRATION! as if it was a big selling point for the game

on top of all that; i max out both tropico 3 and 4 on my pc, and i have to say 3 looked better and maxed out made my pc chug a bit, but this looks more like the xbox 360 graphics for tropico 3 when its maxed out

... so its up to you... pay $40 for a game with worse grpahics and identical gameplay (and a few more buildings)

or buy tropico 3 for $10

are those extra few buildings worth $30 plus a huge downgrade in graphics?

i cant give this a zero, because its still a tropico game, and it's awesome

seriously, if you do anything today, get one of these games!
  11. Sep 3, 2011
    Tropico 3 was good. This is even better. Even if there's little improvement since Tropico 3, it's not a reason to give this game a bad rating. There are a few new aspects to the game, which make it even more enjoyable to me. I will recommend this game to everyone who asks about it.
  12. Aug 28, 2011
    It would be absolutely amazing...it there wasn't Tropico 3. But there was, and it was great - and part 4 feels just like an add-on, but it cannot stand alone as a game. The improvements are hardly there, and most of them base on the font and other graphic improvements plus some new scenarios, not the actual gameplay. If you were into Tropico 3, I guarantee part 4 will bore you within 10It would be absolutely amazing...it there wasn't Tropico 3. But there was, and it was great - and part 4 feels just like an add-on, but it cannot stand alone as a game. The improvements are hardly there, and most of them base on the font and other graphic improvements plus some new scenarios, not the actual gameplay. If you were into Tropico 3, I guarantee part 4 will bore you within 10 minutes. The screens tell the truth - and because it looks a lot like Tropico 3, means it's pretty much the same thing, slightly re-freshened and repacked to make you think it's brand new.
    I suppose it's the limit for the makers. A huge let-down. Hence the zero. Don't buy it.
  13. Oct 7, 2011
    I love the tropico franchise but this is no more than a DLC pack. I mean even tropico 3 barely had new features, and now they're trying to sell a few missions (and even fewer maps!) at the full game price ? I'm sorry to see this awesome idea going down the drain but this is a rip-off.
  14. Aug 30, 2011
    For whatever reason, I couldn't get into Tropico 3. It's interface and tutorials weren't up to scratch and amidst a bazlillion other games that released areound the same time, I quickly forgot about it. I bought Tropico 4 because it looked a bit more intuitive. I was right, and I'm really enjoying the game. Another reviewer is probably correct that he feels there isn't much differenceFor whatever reason, I couldn't get into Tropico 3. It's interface and tutorials weren't up to scratch and amidst a bazlillion other games that released areound the same time, I quickly forgot about it. I bought Tropico 4 because it looked a bit more intuitive. I was right, and I'm really enjoying the game. Another reviewer is probably correct that he feels there isn't much difference between 3 and 4, and he may well be right, but if you haven't played 3 then get 4. Expand
  15. Sep 2, 2011
    There is no doubt that for the first couple of hours this game does look like Tropico 3, but once the game gets going you start to see a whole new level to the game that just blows away Tropico 3. Though do miss certain radio DJs, the new features more than make up for it. For example the new disasters are features you will definitely want to leave turned on, they are just so cool. TheThere is no doubt that for the first couple of hours this game does look like Tropico 3, but once the game gets going you start to see a whole new level to the game that just blows away Tropico 3. Though do miss certain radio DJs, the new features more than make up for it. For example the new disasters are features you will definitely want to leave turned on, they are just so cool. The fire station is not just eye candy, you actually need it, especially when the volcano erupts. Its never as bad as it sounds but looks pretty awesome in the game. The new features appear to work well and are best described as a nice think layer of coolness that lays over Tropico 3, taking Tropico 4 to a whole new level. I always thought Tropico 3 lacked the buildings to make it an island holiday resort, well there are lots to choose from now. I also thought the islands where a little small in Tropico 3, they are huge now. There is so much more to Tropico 4 than many here have made out, it is pretty clear to me that the reviews claiming it looks like Tropico 3 are from people who have not played it for more than 2 hours. When I get the chance I'll make a Youtube video of the game and prove my point to you all. In the mean time, this is worth getting even if you own Tropico 3 and Absolute power, trust me, its cool :) Expand
  16. Oct 25, 2011
    It is a nice city-building/politics simulator that doesn't take itself very seriously. Contains a nice campaign with 20 missions (but only 10 unique maps). However compared to Tropico 3 this game offers almost nothing new and is more like an expansion. If you own Tropico 3, don't bother wasting money on this.
  17. Feb 10, 2012
    Tropico 4 is a better version of Tropico 3. Better graphics, better campaigns but overall...the same game. If you liked Tropico 3, then just replay it. Don't waste your time with Tropico 4 since nothing has really changed. Now some may say thats good but the developer seems to care more about making money then a new product. New concepts, ideas, and more maps are needed to make this gameTropico 4 is a better version of Tropico 3. Better graphics, better campaigns but overall...the same game. If you liked Tropico 3, then just replay it. Don't waste your time with Tropico 4 since nothing has really changed. Now some may say thats good but the developer seems to care more about making money then a new product. New concepts, ideas, and more maps are needed to make this game worth the purchase. Expand
  18. Oct 7, 2011
    For the most part, it's a goal-centric version of SimCity set in the Caribbean. The aesthetics and graphical improvements are beautiful. It doesn't have the same performance issues as Tropico 3, nor is the interface as clunky. The series really hasn't evolved since the original Tropico release however, but the improvements have been immense. For anyone who played SimCity Societies and wasFor the most part, it's a goal-centric version of SimCity set in the Caribbean. The aesthetics and graphical improvements are beautiful. It doesn't have the same performance issues as Tropico 3, nor is the interface as clunky. The series really hasn't evolved since the original Tropico release however, but the improvements have been immense. For anyone who played SimCity Societies and was justifiably outraged at the terrible gameplay, I think Tropico 4 is a great place to pick up after SimCity 4. The game is very polished, level design thoughtful, music enjoyable, appropriately absurd (while still encouraging some thought with fantastic quotes), and has fairly balanced mechanics. After essentially using the same formula for decade, I wouldn't expect any less. Managing building placement is particularly enjoyable, as efficiency can be dramatically reduced if you build too many intersections on your road or try to have a massive hub of activity in the center of the island. Producing an island which efficiently imports, exports, and shuffles around resources feels very rewarding. The only major complaint I have is the game's too easy. It's very time-consuming to complete missions, but generally never easy to fail at. You also don't often have to be at the computer after you've planned a huge list of building projects except to choose how to handle random events. The mechanics require some thought, but after you've experimented for a couple hours, it's difficult to continue improving strategy. There's also no end-game content I found enjoyable, which seems strange for a city management simulator. Expand
  19. Sep 2, 2011
    This game is much like Tropico 3, but with a few minor improvements. If you loved #3, you'll love #4 even more. They stayed very loyal to the original concept and added a few improvements and additional options, but in some ways it seems like they could have done a lot more and so it feel more like a really good expansion rather than a full-blooded sequel.
  20. Oct 5, 2011
    This is an incremental sequel in the same vein of Civilization V and Sims 3. It adds some buildings, a little touch of graphics improvement, some gameplay additions and some new voice acting. People new to Tropico are encouraged to get #4 but if you've burned out on #3 you won't regret skipping this. It really stands on its own as a solid city simulator - it just has not innovated orThis is an incremental sequel in the same vein of Civilization V and Sims 3. It adds some buildings, a little touch of graphics improvement, some gameplay additions and some new voice acting. People new to Tropico are encouraged to get #4 but if you've burned out on #3 you won't regret skipping this. It really stands on its own as a solid city simulator - it just has not innovated or reinvented itself enough to get a perfect score. Expand
  21. Sep 3, 2011
    Really game looks like some addon, no buildings models changed, graphics just slightly improved. But gameplay still awesome, more buildings, tasks are much better organized, performance geatly improved, disasters, ministers. Same good old Tropico, but better and faster. Still I think it's not a NEW game. :)
  22. Sep 2, 2011
    Ever since picking up Tropico 1 from some demo CD in some game magazine in my childhood, the series has introduced fresh ideas and styles to a great strategy title. Tropico 4 is a bit of an oddity in this sense however, as it introduces very little new to the series in terms of both gameplay and style.

Tropico 4 has added about 15 buildings, larger island sizes, and ministers to the game, and reworked a bit of the graphics to actually look less detailed then it's predecessor. But for every change they added, there's a crippling countermeasure for every boasted change. Larger map sizes for example - they have increased the size of maps, yet they still implement rock cliffs on up to 60% of your island so while you may have a larger map, you still cannot build effectively on most of these large maps. The variety is also sadly lackluster still. Recycled textures from Tropico 3, and the lack of variety in buildings is still puzzling at how they can market this as a sequel and not as an expansion pack. For example, houses in the game still have the same old boring texture, and unlike apartments or tenements, don't have any alternate textures for variety's sake. Sandbox maps are also sparse, as you get about 3 easy maps, 1 medium map, and 5 or 6 hard maps. It's almost as if by some crazy edict, El Presidente himself wanted this game to be bland, flat, and to use everything from Tropico 3. Another final point would be the moddability. There's been significant calls for greater moddability within the Tropico community, and the map editor is still embarrassingly bare bones, and those who want to mod and make the game better for the community still cannot really do so.

Aside from those flaws, Tropico 4 still has some defining features. A great soundtrack as always, a nicer user interface, and twitter/facebook integration (if that even matters) are some nicer features of the game. But Haemimont seemed to just wing it on continuing to make the series innovative style and gameplay-wise.

As a previous user stated, this feels more like Tropico 3.5 then Tropico 4, and for the price, it certainly doesn't push the envelope on the series. If you're new to the series; consider this game, but if you've played either past Tropico games, stick with Tropico 3 Gold Edition - you won't feel so cheated by El Presidente.
  23. Jul 15, 2012
    This is a really fun game. I have never played a Tropico game before and I really love it. I think it's stupid people rate this game so low just because it is similar to the previous one even though they love Tropico 3. I get that they are disappointed but it still remains a fun game.
  24. Apr 2, 2013
    In short, very realistic city simulation game, both in the perspective of running a country and citizen simulation. [So, why only 6 out of 10? Because 3 marks deducted for the intrusive DRM, which make the game freeze due to its home calling to server, resulting in a save progress lost] Trading, industry building, politics, population control, housing, health care, election, diplomaticIn short, very realistic city simulation game, both in the perspective of running a country and citizen simulation. [So, why only 6 out of 10? Because 3 marks deducted for the intrusive DRM, which make the game freeze due to its home calling to server, resulting in a save progress lost] Trading, industry building, politics, population control, housing, health care, election, diplomatic issue, etc. All have some depth extent of skills to be mastered, so you can have a good economy while satisfying citizens with different needs. Resolving their conflict with your government is your task. Very realistic indeed. On the other hand, the citizen simulation is good, they really have a living place (unless you make them change by your politic means) and working place (will also vary according to your economy and his/her job satisfaction), you can really feel an alive person when observing them close by, i.e. not a random variable just like 1 "famous game". This game has a good sense of humor and a great simulation, which needs strategic planning. The design of your own avatar is also one key way of your success, depending on your play style. Really worth a try on this. Expand
  25. Jan 6, 2013
    Very good city builder. You can make many different choices as to from where you want to get your money (food, tourism, mining, industry, etc.), and many different choices as to how you want to treat your people. The graphics are absolutely decent as well. I can't comment on it being the same as Tropico 3 as I haven't played that but it feels like a must have for anyone who likes Sim CityVery good city builder. You can make many different choices as to from where you want to get your money (food, tourism, mining, industry, etc.), and many different choices as to how you want to treat your people. The graphics are absolutely decent as well. I can't comment on it being the same as Tropico 3 as I haven't played that but it feels like a must have for anyone who likes Sim City or the like. Expand
  26. Jan 20, 2013
    Having played tropico 1 extensively, I recently returned to the series with tropico 4. Honestly, I'm surprised by the negative reviews this game gets. Because I am enjoying it at least as much as the first Tropico. There is the same sense of leisurely fooling around with my own paradise, the same sense of danger when my Tropicans are unhappy and start to rebel, the same feeling of joy whenHaving played tropico 1 extensively, I recently returned to the series with tropico 4. Honestly, I'm surprised by the negative reviews this game gets. Because I am enjoying it at least as much as the first Tropico. There is the same sense of leisurely fooling around with my own paradise, the same sense of danger when my Tropicans are unhappy and start to rebel, the same feeling of joy when I know I got more money coming in than I could ever spend. To anyone wanting to get into this game for the first time, I would recommend playing trough the tutorials. They give you an excellent grasp of the basics, and a steam achievement ;) Seasoned players should, in my opinion, just jump into the campaign. From checking the Steam Global Achievements I get a feeling that not many have tried to do just that, and that's a shame. (At the time of writing, only 7.1% of all players have the "The Mastermind" achievement, and that's a key event in the campaign...) Every mission is different from the others, and they progressively get more challenging. They all revolve around a different aspect of the game: farming, mining, industry, foreign relations, tourism, disasters, secret police... Everything eventually comes along, bringing the right amount of variety to the experience. There's quite a lot of content too: I've got 41 hours logged on Steam, and I still have 2 out of 20 missions to go. So what's there not to like? I ran into a few bugs, where I couldn't finish 2 of the campaign missions. When playing these missions again, the bugs (luckily) didn't show up again. That's it for me, for the rest I think this is an adorable and fully fledged economic sim / tropical paradise builder. Vote Presidente - or else... :) Expand
  27. Mar 14, 2013
    Tropico 3.2 imo. Personally I find this game way too easy, there is no question of whether you can make a successful island, it's just a question of will it be great, or will it be awesome. Even on some of the hardest settings you can pretty much make a few sugar farms and have infinite money for the rest of the game.
  28. Jan 5, 2013
    I already owned Tropico 3 but since this was only
  29. Mar 15, 2013
    Quite simply the best simulation game around. Tropico 4 may not add much new content, but it polishes the *heck* out of the amazing Tropico 3. The Modern Times expansion adds tons of new content. I honestly have no complaints worth mentioning. 10/10
  30. Jan 9, 2012
    I played Tropico 1 + 2 and really loved it, I left out Tropico 3 because it had mediocre critics but when Tropico 4 was released this was a clear buy for me. I think this game is fantastic, the missions are diversified and the good old Tropico feeling is back! Personally, I don't care if there are only minor updates to Tropico 3 because I never owned that.
  31. Sep 6, 2011
    Downloaded this and was very excited to see what new features were in the game. At first I was very pleased with the new layout, music, etc... However, I was soon disappointed in the graphics. My CPU is not state of the art and despite what I have read, the graphics on Medium and High settings are more then it can handle. I can run the game at a custom settings with a lot of theDownloaded this and was very excited to see what new features were in the game. At first I was very pleased with the new layout, music, etc... However, I was soon disappointed in the graphics. My CPU is not state of the art and despite what I have read, the graphics on Medium and High settings are more then it can handle. I can run the game at a custom settings with a lot of the "extras" turned off and it looks okay but Tropico 3 looks better and runs smoother given the same equipment. On low settings everything looks blurry.

I actually play the game on Medium speed due to everything going on. There are A LOT of side quests that pop-up constantly. Its not bad but I feel it takes away from the actual main mission which you may not know until well into the scenario. The "Quick Build" option is a nice feature when all of a sudden you realize there are a lot of shacks on the island. If you don't watch your population you can easily lose the respect of the Communists due to crappy housing and healthcare. Make sure you have your ministry set up and a foreign advisor hired. Then click on the edict for USSR help with half priced Tenements and Apartments.

Side quests are both fun and annoying. Sometimes a quest will pop-up and the US or USSR will ask for some money to improve relations. Not a problem except you can't (to my knowledge) check to see what your faction rating is at that point... Kind of annoying when you send the US 5 grand for an improvement in faction when you are already at 100.

Tropico 4 moves in a direction that unfortunatly a lot of games go now a days. It tries to cram in as much crap into a shorter scenario. Its as if they are making games for people with short attention spans. As an older gamer, I don't mind if it takes awhile as long as I don't have to juggle 15 different things at the same. That gets annoying.

Maybe when I decide to upgrade my Computer, I will be able to enjoy Tropico 4 to its fullest. Right now it is average/good at best. I am still a fan and maybe just need to get acquainted to a faster paced game.
  32. Oct 14, 2011
    I really enjoyed the very first tropico. Was something fresh, with a great appeal. And i kept on loving it. But i may say one thing: no big improvements since tropico 3. So it isn't absolutely worth the full price. it introduces a few interesting things, like imports, a few more not so important nations, some interesting new building, and natural disasters too. But the campaign isn't thatI really enjoyed the very first tropico. Was something fresh, with a great appeal. And i kept on loving it. But i may say one thing: no big improvements since tropico 3. So it isn't absolutely worth the full price. it introduces a few interesting things, like imports, a few more not so important nations, some interesting new building, and natural disasters too. But the campaign isn't that thrilling, very soon it becomes ad un-sharp and chaotic achievement party; they even introduced twitter and facebook plugins to share your results (as if someone care). I believe it's a little easier than tropico 3 too: i believe the title was subject to some minor rebalancing that eventually made the game more plain: everything could be solved with the same strategy. Even graphics looks a little messier than before. So why a 7 and not a 6? because the game is still fun. I've spent some funny hours, and i will spend more. I suggest you not to buy this until drops to something like 20 eurodollars or so (really, this is more a really good expansion than a new game) Expand
  33. Oct 27, 2011
    I have enjoyed all the Tropico games. The additional resources, disasters, complexity, tweaks and great graphics have definitely improved the game, or at least kept it up to scratch. Currently at $40 (cheap for a new game of this depth), it will fall, look out for Steam deals!

If you are new to sim games (where have you been?) this is a great society/economy sim, one of the most polished out there with Sims, SimCity and Roller Coaster Tycoon. It is essentially an upgrade (more of a complete overhaul and rebuild really) of Tropico 3 but for the price it is well worth it. Don't skimp on Tropico 3 unless you are too poor to care :P
  34. Apr 24, 2013
    This is the first Tropico game i've ever played so my review is based solely on my experiences with this particular game. Tropico is a pretty fun city-building game. It's not as in-depth as Sim City but still manages to be entertaining. There are campaign missions that change up things and offer you objectives to complete which can be relatively challenging at times and was quite fun toThis is the first Tropico game i've ever played so my review is based solely on my experiences with this particular game. Tropico is a pretty fun city-building game. It's not as in-depth as Sim City but still manages to be entertaining. There are campaign missions that change up things and offer you objectives to complete which can be relatively challenging at times and was quite fun to play. There is also a sandbox mode which you can just build your city any way you want. Unfortunately there is a required time limit to all games, even sandbox. So if you were hoping to cover an entire island in buildings like I was, you will be a bit disappointed. Overall I enjoyed it, I recommend trying the demo on Steam if you are interested. Expand
  35. Dec 5, 2011
    I think Tropico is good for what it is. It will never be the supreme strategy, economy builder, but the humor and ideas it does have make it a nice change of pace from many of the empire builder type games out there.
  36. Jan 7, 2012
    Tropico 4 is an easy going and graphically beautiful game, keeping with the series. Most of the beauty is lost, though, if your computer can't handle high settings. The music is in the similar grain to 3 but arguably less tiring(tyhough that could be that I haven't yet played 4 long enough to get sick of the music as with 3)
  37. Nov 17, 2012
    awesome game with tons of re playability and great political movements. The only reason this would not be a good game for and hardcore strategy city building fan is if you had played the very similar tropico 3. All in all and amazing game.
  38. Mar 7, 2012
    All in all a good city builder. It doesn't improve much from Tropico 3, and I feel like it's easier somehow, you can easily get both communist and capitalist factions to 100% respect; something impossible in Tropico 3. a good little game, but I think that Tropico 3 is still the best in the series.
  39. Jul 23, 2012
    OK... I am aware that tons of people hate this game due to the similarities it shares with it's predecessors - mainly because it is pretty much the same game but with a few upgrades. This however, is completely untrue in my opinion...

Firstly, there are 20 new diverse, unique missions to explore and conquer while gaining the respect of the population of your island. Random events assist in making the game more interesting, while not being so common to disrupt the fun and immensity of the gameplay. The fun, exciting spokespeople for each nation are hilarious to listen to, each with their own personalities and voices (although at times these stereotypes may be considered slightly racist!).

The graphics of Tropico 4 are roughly the same as those of Tropico 3, but seem more vivid and alive, making your island feel more real. For me, Tropico 4 runs much more smoothly on the same graphical settings (detail = medium) as Tropico 3. There are many things to do in Tropico 4 including the campaign, challenge mode (where you can create maps and play other people's!), and sandbox mode. Each of these playing styles are fun in their own way, but for me the campaign is the most enjoyable! Lastly, the actual gameplay of constructing and watching over your country is so great and satisfying (especially when you complete a mission!). The menus are greatly improved since Tropico 3, with ease of access in both finding specific buildings and navigating.

I honestly cannot think of any downfalls to this games besides maybe the fact the missions usually last at least 1-2 hours, but this increases the overall playing time (so you get more for you money, no?).

Overall, Tropico 4 is most certainly worth purchasing due to it's fun gameplay, exciting characters and endless playing time and fun factor...
  40. May 11, 2012
    Didn't get past the loading screen. You are required to log in to an account in order to play this single player, offline game. Just to play the game you've already paid for, you have sign a privacy policy allowing them to collect personal information about you. They may collect "hardware platform information" and any "other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers"Didn't get past the loading screen. You are required to log in to an account in order to play this single player, offline game. Just to play the game you've already paid for, you have sign a privacy policy allowing them to collect personal information about you. They may collect "hardware platform information" and any "other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers" (essentially anything they want). They can use your information for "internal record keeping", "to improve our products and services", "send promotional emails", and "market research purposes". If I buy a copy of Monopoly, I don't have to send them a written letter of my top 5 favorite TV shows and my home address before I can open the box. It's ludicrous that a video game studio would expect the same. Expand
  41. Jul 24, 2012
    I'm neutral to the whole tropico series so this is an actual review about the game, not some lame ass review saying its the same as tropico 3. As a tycoon/city building game, it's not the best in my opinion, compared to sim city and caesar series. I thought hard about why the game was less entertaining, for me it's the fact that you spend so much time waiting. Rather than instantlyI'm neutral to the whole tropico series so this is an actual review about the game, not some lame ass review saying its the same as tropico 3. As a tycoon/city building game, it's not the best in my opinion, compared to sim city and caesar series. I thought hard about why the game was less entertaining, for me it's the fact that you spend so much time waiting. Rather than instantly building things which have an effect on the game you have to constantly wait for builders to get to the spot, immigrants to get to the island, etc etc. The game is a huge waiting fest that slows down fast paced gamers who know what they want to do and want it done right away. However it's still an enjoyable game, for the reason that it's delightfully humoristic, well done and innovative in some ways for a city building game (love the way you can issue laws), complete and quality title. The missions keep you busy enough not to get bored by the repetition. All in all, it's not the best tycoon to spend time on if you have played better ones, maybe if you are uneducated about games you'll rate this a 10, because you're dumb, but as for I, I can fairly rate it a 7, which is actually pretty good, I think this game is definitely worth a try and you will have fun despite not being anything spectacular. Expand
  42. c3p
    Nov 23, 2013
    Game is probably a 8/10, the fact that i have to provide a mail to play it (even though i bought it on steam), is responsible for -2.
    It's just the most stupid/annoying thing i have seen in a game in a really long time!
  43. Jun 25, 2014
    Tropico is a banana-land oriented city builder, it is full of clichés, funny bits, and unique gameplay features such as bribing, corruption and tobacco fields.

The graphics in Tropico 4 are wonderful, the city building is very often limited by landscape but you can do curves, long roads in the nature, and many options to make your city different in each gameplay. It is a city builder with all the classic bits, making money, providing electricity, services, but then there is the background. Tropico happens during the Cold War and you'll have to bear with it, and make decisions that could end up with your nice peaceful city being invaded by the US army

Another good point : the happy salsa music. If you don't like it, you might not enjoy yourself, but it is very entertaining while you're slowly building your city. Only 12-13 songs though, you might end up dreaming about the songs if you're not careful

Now the 3 was already good, the 4 was the same, and the 5 is again.. the same. No improvement justifying buying the 3 versions.

Conclusion : Genius idea, over-used in the long term, and prepare yourself to a butt-dance session on your chair
  44. Nov 12, 2011
    It's not as bad as some of the reviews but I wouldn't call it a success. My biggest gripes are the camera and scrolling speed, the graphics seem to make it look more artificial and all the pop-ups and pace of the game have become a nuisance rather than being fun. The ability to import goods makes the game a lot easier than T3. This should probably be the last one in the series as it hasIt's not as bad as some of the reviews but I wouldn't call it a success. My biggest gripes are the camera and scrolling speed, the graphics seem to make it look more artificial and all the pop-ups and pace of the game have become a nuisance rather than being fun. The ability to import goods makes the game a lot easier than T3. This should probably be the last one in the series as it has burned itself out. Expand
  45. Feb 20, 2012
    Rindokisuto is somewhat correct when he says this game doesn't change much. The buildings are mostly the same and the gameplay mechanics haven't changed. However, the graphics are a bit better and it doesn't take a top-of-the-line PC to get everything maxed. My PC was about $1000 for the main components (CPU, GPU, mobo, ram, harddrive) when I built it 4 years ago and I can max everythingRindokisuto is somewhat correct when he says this game doesn't change much. The buildings are mostly the same and the gameplay mechanics haven't changed. However, the graphics are a bit better and it doesn't take a top-of-the-line PC to get everything maxed. My PC was about $1000 for the main components (CPU, GPU, mobo, ram, harddrive) when I built it 4 years ago and I can max everything and have a flawless framerate.

The game does make improvements though, the base of the game is still great and it is asinine for anyone to rate this lower than a 5. Some changes include a more storyline-based campaign. There are not cutscenes or anything, but each island is placed within an overarching vision in the backstory. Also, there are unique events that occur that mix things up more, like feuds between the Communists and Capitalists or specific islands that are, for example, especially rebellious and resistant to rulership with their own unique native characters.

If you beat Tropico 3, don't bother with this game- unless you're extremely into the series like myself. There are plenty of other, more unique games out there to experience. However, if you've never played a Tropico game before, this is the one to play. This game would be rated an 8 for people new to the series, a 5 for people who've beat Tropico 3.
  46. Sep 16, 2011
    Great game, for first 5 missions. Then when you begin to earn a load of money, spend a little bit and then your the same amount in debt, it adds up. The only thing that keeps you playing is your curiosity about what other things you can build. I enjoyed having a communist farming island nation, especially with a custom avatar resembling Che Guevara, but the game does unfortunately get oldGreat game, for first 5 missions. Then when you begin to earn a load of money, spend a little bit and then your the same amount in debt, it adds up. The only thing that keeps you playing is your curiosity about what other things you can build. I enjoyed having a communist farming island nation, especially with a custom avatar resembling Che Guevara, but the game does unfortunately get old quickly. Even though i played the demo over and over again, the game has limiting game-play. Still it was fun while it lasted. Expand
  47. Mar 17, 2012
    I'm really torn what vote to give this game. I really am. As a stand alone game, it surely deserves at least an 9. As a successor to Tropico 3, it deserves a heartfelt zero. Why? Because this game is in fact Tropico 3 with new buildings. As an addon to T3, it would have received a gold star. As a standalone game and full price title, it feels like a horrible rip off. This is, essentiallyI'm really torn what vote to give this game. I really am. As a stand alone game, it surely deserves at least an 9. As a successor to Tropico 3, it deserves a heartfelt zero. Why? Because this game is in fact Tropico 3 with new buildings. As an addon to T3, it would have received a gold star. As a standalone game and full price title, it feels like a horrible rip off. This is, essentially Tropico 3 with a few new twists. Graphics? Same. I am not kidding, I am not exaggerating, even the buildings look EXACTLY the same as in T3. They are EXACTLY the same models with the same graphics. The character generation (i.e. how you make your El Presidente) has changed slightly, but again nothing that an addon could not have achieved. This is pretty much the only difference to the T3 addon Absolute Power, which also came with a new campaign and a few new buildings. Expand
  48. Apr 21, 2012
    Game is definitely a solid upgrade to its predecessor. Tutorial to teach you the basics. Campaign is much more coherent, and from my experience you have a lot more flexibility economically to build up your nation which should make it overall more accessible. That isn't to say you can't screw up. I don't consider myself an expert and have had a few missions where I spiraled into debt,Game is definitely a solid upgrade to its predecessor. Tutorial to teach you the basics. Campaign is much more coherent, and from my experience you have a lot more flexibility economically to build up your nation which should make it overall more accessible. That isn't to say you can't screw up. I don't consider myself an expert and have had a few missions where I spiraled into debt, but most of them I have been able to grow my nation as I had planned. I think I am around 14/20 through the campaign and have been enjoying this one much more than Tropico 3. Expand
  49. Sep 21, 2011
    More of Tropico 3, but with slightly improved graphics and options. Despite a varied set of objectives, you will end up setting up the same buildings in the same order, like Tropico 2: Pirate Cove. Sound is slightly less memorable: the new Latin music is slightly less upbeat this time, while the Penultimo/Sunny radio show has less clever moments than the Penultimo/Betty Boom banter fromMore of Tropico 3, but with slightly improved graphics and options. Despite a varied set of objectives, you will end up setting up the same buildings in the same order, like Tropico 2: Pirate Cove. Sound is slightly less memorable: the new Latin music is slightly less upbeat this time, while the Penultimo/Sunny radio show has less clever moments than the Penultimo/Betty Boom banter from T3:Absolute Power. I would recommend this game if you enjoyed Tropico 3 (I did) but the novelty has worn off a little. Expand
  50. May 25, 2012
    Very minor upgrade from Tropico 3. The Modern Times campaign add-on is significantly better, and should have been Tropico 4 to begin with. I can only recommend this game due to Modern Times, otherwise just stick with T3.
  51. May 23, 2013
    A nearly cut and paste copy of Tropico 3. Nice visuals, identical gameplay. Not worth the full price of a standalone game, should have been an expansion.
  52. Sep 24, 2011
    Well good game, they added more detail and little options you can do which is something that is really needed in games like this to keep my interest but i'm disappointed in amount they added, I think they could've done better by adding more, especially on the character screen, they pretty much copy-pasted that, which bugs me. In short, add more things, the more control you give me overWell good game, they added more detail and little options you can do which is something that is really needed in games like this to keep my interest but i'm disappointed in amount they added, I think they could've done better by adding more, especially on the character screen, they pretty much copy-pasted that, which bugs me. In short, add more things, the more control you give me over things that may even seem insignificant, the happier i'll be. Expand
  53. Sep 29, 2011
    I finished Tropico 3, and Tropico 4 is an improved version. Playing Tropico 4 is like playing an updated, completed Tropico 3, so if you liked that game you should be satisfied with this one.
    Tropico 4 is the best game of its type since SimCity. I paid $40 and as a great fan, well I won't complain. I would recommend this game to Civ fans, Sim fans, but if FPS is your thing, it might not be for you.
    Tropico 4 is funny, if you think politics is funny, you have a Swiss Bank Account and you can learn how to oppress or enlighten your people - can't wait to get home and play all night!
  54. Mar 8, 2012
    This is a quick rehash of the Tropico series, nothing revolutionary. The campaign feels kinda cheap with islands being reused in different chapters. There are also quite serious traffic issues when you get to higher populations, but the game offers zero tools to influence traffic.
  55. Nov 21, 2011
    This games is a good choice for strategy lovers or city building lovers. The game is also very addictive. There many missions in the game each leading to an in-depth story. You will find it hard to keep up with the building process at times, while at others it can take a while for things to progress. The game is to similar to Tropico 3 for me to give it a higher rating though.
  56. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is a true gem with endless replay value. There are so many paths that you can choose. On the surface it will trick a player that is not paying attention. The more you dig into things you begin to realize how much thought actually went into this. Tropico 3 is of course awesome and I would have been upset had they deviated too far from the original formula. A good example would beThis game is a true gem with endless replay value. There are so many paths that you can choose. On the surface it will trick a player that is not paying attention. The more you dig into things you begin to realize how much thought actually went into this. Tropico 3 is of course awesome and I would have been upset had they deviated too far from the original formula. A good example would be my love for Civ IV BTS. When Civ V came out using a new formula I was heart broken. My shock from that fallout led me to this diamond in the rough. Once you really get into this game you'll need a well built gaming machine. I'm here to tell you folks this game right here is hardcore it is not the candy coated shell that you might believe. The modding community is beginning to form, and El Presidente is taking over. Expand
  57. Dec 29, 2011
    This is much more than a repack of Tropico 3, even if the graphics engine is more or less the same. This game makes minor changes to the GUI, but in terms of appearance, it's mostly the same as Tropico 3. However, the game-play has been improved dramatically in my opinion. The road system is much better implemented, the council of ministers works very well, the 20 added buildings are allThis is much more than a repack of Tropico 3, even if the graphics engine is more or less the same. This game makes minor changes to the GUI, but in terms of appearance, it's mostly the same as Tropico 3. However, the game-play has been improved dramatically in my opinion. The road system is much better implemented, the council of ministers works very well, the 20 added buildings are all good for the most part, and to top it off, the radio show in this game is FAR less annoying than Jaunito or Betty ever were. The humor is much improved, and the blandness of parts of Tropico 3 have been done away with; their is always something happening. The addition of advisers for each faction, each with unique personalities and decent advice is also a plus. The biggest addition, however, is the 20 mission campaign, which unlike the previous games, is a single cohesive narrative that is entertaining and quite funny. Overall, this game is a big step up from Tropico 3, even if it might look the same. The only real downside is that the El Presidente voice actor is very lame, and puts emphasis on the entirely wrong parts of sentences. Expand
  58. Oct 21, 2012
    I really enjoy Tropico and having not played any of the original titles I still enjoy building up a city from time to time. My only problem is that I feel the game should be longer in the sense there should be more than 50 years to the game.
  59. Mar 4, 2012
    First and foremost, Tropico 4 does have any serious breakthroughs in the graphics department. They are dated indeed, but that does not really matter, because the game is simply a lot of fun. Plenty of challenge to last for countless hours, and once you are done with that, play around with a sandbox mission or two. No, it is not your typical city building game, but that is a positive allFirst and foremost, Tropico 4 does have any serious breakthroughs in the graphics department. They are dated indeed, but that does not really matter, because the game is simply a lot of fun. Plenty of challenge to last for countless hours, and once you are done with that, play around with a sandbox mission or two. No, it is not your typical city building game, but that is a positive all the same. a lot of people say it is like Tropico 3. I never played Tropico 3, so if it is the same, maybe stick with that one. Expand
  60. Apr 4, 2012
    This game has sucked hours of time out of me. Despite the fact its not a huge leap from Tropico 3 I have loved every minute of it. New missions. new islands. New buildings. The humour of the game and missions are excellent
  61. Apr 5, 2012
    The gameplay is generally pretty good. The developers have spent all this time on good gameplay but they have forgotten to include the basic continuity features. This game doesn't include autosave. Even when the option is ticked, freeplay games are not autosaved which causes huge frustration. Even then, in challenge mode, autosave saves so far apart that if you crash it feels likeThe gameplay is generally pretty good. The developers have spent all this time on good gameplay but they have forgotten to include the basic continuity features. This game doesn't include autosave. Even when the option is ticked, freeplay games are not autosaved which causes huge frustration. Even then, in challenge mode, autosave saves so far apart that if you crash it feels like restarting anyway. Furthermore the menus including the bottom left controls take up most of the screen. They should be made small on user choice and if the user chooses, be 'minimizable' to a small tab on the bottom, similar to the Windows interface. This is really frustrating. How could the developers lack such obvious continuity features, yet make general gameplay pretty good? URGH!! Expand
  62. May 13, 2012
    Tropico is a good old style simulation game with a nice sense of humor. I bought this recently when it was on sale in Steam. I won't recommend to pay the full price but when it is on sale it's worth it for all fans who like simulation games. Graphics are not astonishing(especially not we can do these days with computers, check out Skyrim f.e.) but good enough, music is nice in theTropico is a good old style simulation game with a nice sense of humor. I bought this recently when it was on sale in Steam. I won't recommend to pay the full price but when it is on sale it's worth it for all fans who like simulation games. Graphics are not astonishing(especially not we can do these days with computers, check out Skyrim f.e.) but good enough, music is nice in the beginning but later on I had to turn it off and played my local radio station. In the game there are Lots of choices to become a good Caribbean island and a new Fidel Castro. Expand
  63. Apr 25, 2013
    Actually I like the game a lot, if there wasn't those ridiculously low limits for population and streets. You're forced to stop expanding and your beautiful built up city is damned to just stagnate and any gaming fun is gone.
  64. May 28, 2014
    This game is pretty damn cool. To anyone of my generation that grew up playing SimCity on Mac Classics, this game is a must-play.

I did not pick up this series until Tropico 4, so I can't share the gripes that some other people have that this version is not much an upgrade over Tropico 3, but I think if you're new to the series, this installment is a fine place to start. Tropico 5 was just released, too, and I'm eager to try it out, but I'm going to wait for it to come down in price a little first.

Solid game.
  65. May 25, 2012
    the perfect follow up to Tropico 3 this game is great for people who have never played the series before the game is exaclty like tropico 3 except for a few revisments and improvments there are more buildings and options to run your goverment. but thats it its a great game because its exaclty like tropico 3 which was amazing and you can buy this right now on amazon for $9.99 for an instantthe perfect follow up to Tropico 3 this game is great for people who have never played the series before the game is exaclty like tropico 3 except for a few revisments and improvments there are more buildings and options to run your goverment. but thats it its a great game because its exaclty like tropico 3 which was amazing and you can buy this right now on amazon for $9.99 for an instant download great deal! Expand
  66. Feb 28, 2013
    Tropico 4 is a charming little game. The developers have really done the whole el presidente thing quite well and everything from the radio show that talk about your actions and your interactions with the island and your advisers just oozes charm. The management part of the game works alright. There is plenty of buildings, edicts and options to play around with but it lacks depth and iTropico 4 is a charming little game. The developers have really done the whole el presidente thing quite well and everything from the radio show that talk about your actions and your interactions with the island and your advisers just oozes charm. The management part of the game works alright. There is plenty of buildings, edicts and options to play around with but it lacks depth and i found myself doing most stuff simply for my own amusement than for the good of the island. So i am basically saying that the game could be a bit more challenging. Now the elephant in the room that i really should mention is that the game is quite similar to the previous Tropico 3. This wont matter if you are new to the series but if you have played tropico 3 and are expecting a whole new experience then you will be disappointed. And i should also mention that the builders are still a pain in the ass to deal with. Tropico 4 is a decent little management game that relies heavily on its charm and as long as you dont expect the world out of it (or a game vastly different than tropico 3) then you probably wont be disappointed by this game. You should however consider picking up the tropico 3 instead if you find it for a much cheaper price. Expand
  67. Jun 6, 2014
    I have sunk so many hours into this game. I bought it right after the sim city fiasco and couldn't be happier. It is a silly town builder with some cool options in edicts.
  68. Dec 6, 2013
    Even better than Tropico 3, funnier and far more complex. This version also adds new interesting buildings and objectives. It is an excellent game, don't think it twice to purchase it because it is also a great and peaceful option among so many repetitive and bloody games out there.
  69. Aug 19, 2013
    Never played a Tropico game before. I liked Civilization but most city-building games such as SimCity I found very boring. This, however is a perfectly crafted game, with addictive gameplay, a great atmosphere, and the best music in any strategy game I've ever heard. Highly recommended.
  70. Jun 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tropico 4 is a really good game. Not a great game but good enough to keep any one interested in city building, economic management and resource collection engaged for hours at a time. The biggest pros of Tropico 4 are its citizens, its political factions and the detailed economic system created by its developers.

The complexity of the individual citizens that live on your island is quite impressive. Unlike other similar games such as Sim City or Anno, every citizen in Tropico 4 has a unique name, skill set, political inclination, age, home country, job experience, etc. I love the the richness and detail of this element of the game for it makes the micro level of Tropico 4 realistic and engaging. At the macro level the various political factions that must be navigated and addressed hinge upon the preferences and character of your citizens. The balance of this aspect of the game is well developed. For every action in the game, there is an equal an opposite reaction. This keeps the game fun and challenging, and makes it very goal driven which appeals to players such as myself. Perhaps the most important pro is the elaborate and diverse economic system that undergirds the game as a whole. It is refined and intuitive. If it were not the game would suffer greatly and likely be very frustrating to play. Although it is not as extraordinarily complex as some other virtual economies I have seen, it is intricate and realistic enough to suck you in and make you feel like you are accomplishing something meaningful. The resource diversity is exciting, the supply lines are challenging and the financial calculus that stems from all of this resource management is sensible and addictive.

As a side note I must also compliment the humor of the game, which is apparently a legacy of the series, the unique premise of the game (which also harkens back to its legacy) and the graphics which are a little corny but detailed enough to make the game feel real. Admittedly, what really makes Tropico 4 a pleasure to play are the little things. E.g. the political quotes that pop up between screens, the ability to customize and control yourself as an avatar presidente within the game or to choose from historical characters towards the same ends; The graffiti that appears on the walls of your buildings or the snakes and tapirs that occasionally wander through your jungles, and the resource pallets that pile up at your industrial sites. All of these things give the game character.

On the cons side of things I must admit that the same little things that make the game so great are also its main shortcoming. There are little things in Tropico 4 which I find very annoying that could be very easily addressed if the developers cared to do so. For instance, there is no North button which aligns the mini map with the onscreen view. This drives me crazy! I spend the first minute or so of every game just trying to line up my view with the mini map. Very frustrating. Also, many of the menus in the game are simple to the point of being primitive. The build menu is a good case in point. First off, accessing the build menu is somewhat counter intuitive for it only appears when you right-click. Then, once you are in the build menu, navigating to buildings is a total pain because the subsets don't have back buttons. If you click the wrong building subset or are trying to find a new building and don't know where it is then you have to exit and re-enter the menu every time! For those new to the game, such as myself, I wish there was an info box option for certain game features. Again, using buildings as an example, when a mission requests that you construct a certain building there is no hint as to where you can find it in your menu so you have to make lucky guesses and go through the whole process of entering and exiting the build menu as mentioned above. Perhaps I am just nitpicking at this point but I really wish there was a shift button option for certain actions such as late game management with air conditioning or upgrades to mines, ranches or manufacturing buildings. Instead of going to each building individually and upgrading it manually, it would be nice to hit the upgrade once while holding down a hot key so that the same action applies to all.

Besides the little things, the two main cons of the game in my opinion are the campaign which lacks depth and is somewhat monotonous, and the music which although good in quality becomes very repetitive after a while. This is because it is catchy (seemingly a good thing in real life, but not for a computer game) and because it is on a short loop.

All in all, although there are a lot of little things that I dislike about Tropico 4 because there is so much right with it as a whole that I have to give a favorable review. I give it an 8/10. Viva El Presidente!
  71. Apr 1, 2013
    Any game with ridiculous DRM requires a 0 rating. You're a traitor to other gamers if you allow these people to continue without biting them as hard as you can.

This game requires you to register it the moment you load it the first time. There is no option to bypass it. This is idiotic, and these guys, who I use to support with my cash, will never see another cent. I'm not giving you my personal information for you to spam me with email offers or to sell as part of a list. To say this is DRM is ridiculous. The game takes a minute to break with a crack, and these developers know that full well.
  72. May 5, 2013
    By far the best single player RTS game ever made. Great graphics and game play. I played Tropico 3 before and fell in love with the series. Although it looks like it can be a repetitive game it isn't. The mission story lines you go through are really good and at time funny if you read the text.

The added help of the map editor allows those who are good with some scripting to make their own missions and upload them for others to play. If you are a die hard RTS player then you will never be put off with this game. Even 3 months after I finished the game, you can still go go back and play and get thoroughly engrossed into the game again.

Well worth the money....Tropico 5 is in production and Kalypso have said they are start the graphics from scratch. I personally can't wait.
  73. Oct 29, 2013
    At first glance, Tropico 4 looks a lot like Tropico 3: the graphics engine is very similar and many models are reused. However, Tropico 4 brings many good additions to the series to create a more enjoyable experience overall. Tropico 4 adds more buildings and missions as well as a cooler soundtrack. Tropico 4 also adds more foreign factions such as China and you can now import resourcesAt first glance, Tropico 4 looks a lot like Tropico 3: the graphics engine is very similar and many models are reused. However, Tropico 4 brings many good additions to the series to create a more enjoyable experience overall. Tropico 4 adds more buildings and missions as well as a cooler soundtrack. Tropico 4 also adds more foreign factions such as China and you can now import resources rather than just export. Although the premise can get repetitive, there is lots to do in Tropico 4. From the campaign, to the random map generator sandbox to user made challenges, you are sure to have lots of fun being El Presidente. Expand
  74. Jul 2, 2013
    Tropico 4 is a city builder in a little island, you are a dictator.
    You must survive after 50 years of tyranny.
    In first, the content of the game The campaign is long, with hard constraints (but we will see after that's not really hard). And after you can try the community's challenge. Or a custom sandbox with adjustable difficulty. So the life span as long as your desire to become El
    Tropico 4 is a city builder in a little island, you are a dictator.
    You must survive after 50 years of tyranny.
    In first, the content of the game
    The campaign is long, with hard constraints (but we will see after that's not really hard). And after you can try the community's challenge. Or a custom sandbox with adjustable difficulty. So the life span as long as your desire to become El presidente.

Now, the gameplay. The main goal is to survive, against elections (too easy for the fraud), against the rebels, the insurrections, the putsch or survive against USA or URSS. You must satisfy the citizens, they are communist, ecologist, religious.... Because if they angry, they hate presidente. And you must build building or industries for have more and more money, with exports or tourism. Mine, farm, bank, all means are good and after, with the Dollards, you can build a mausoleum (loyalists love that) or invest to your Swiss Counts or a church.....

The only problem or this game is the fiancial difficulties absent at the long term (in-game, the 1980'decade).
    You win too much money with industry and planting, the only limitation is the lack of labors.
    But with money, you can pay everything, 10 hospital or 10 churchs (everyone is satisfied) or cops and military for kill rebels, too easy to survive after 30 years in-game. And the decree destroy opposition (the spy too).
    And the requirement of our people doesn't increase significantly.
    After the end of URSS with the miracle of the capitalism, people wants the pretty life and doesn't want live with 10 Dollards per mouth. This is possible to transcribe this.

For the conclusion A party in campaign or in sandbox give you the happiness to kill opposants with difficulties, but at the long-term, you have more money than you can spend.

But the game stay pleasurable and you will enjoy that.
    (Sorry for my english)
  75. Jul 14, 2013
    As a long time fan of the Sim City series, I was one of the many who essentially was sent off with the latest EA debacle looking for a new form of city simulation. After picking this up on Steam during a sale. It has been worth every penny. While it may not look as pretty as other games like Cities XL, it makes up for it in every other way. The game itself is very smooth, the objectivesAs a long time fan of the Sim City series, I was one of the many who essentially was sent off with the latest EA debacle looking for a new form of city simulation. After picking this up on Steam during a sale. It has been worth every penny. While it may not look as pretty as other games like Cities XL, it makes up for it in every other way. The game itself is very smooth, the objectives add some sort of "Here, try to get this at your leisure" element, and all the construction projects feel that they have some sort of purpose to them. While there are some elements that I wish could be added or changed, such as perhaps a difficulty increase, or an option to set zones instead of actual buildings in some cases (think Sim City vs Sim Town style of construction), but overall, the game has been very enjoyable and it is worth the cost. Expand
  76. Jul 29, 2013
    I like Tropico from last millenia, when first game was released. And this game are not an exception. But comparing first and fourth Tropico I can say that i just love the story here, even if it lost charming rebel's radio from third.
  77. Sep 2, 2013
    Tropico 4 is a really motivating game. The campaign is really fun, all 20 missions of it. With tourism, trade, different factions and other aspects of your island to manage, you have a lot to do in this game. It really makes you feel like a dictator too, you can have people assassinated or simple shot in the streets by your soldiers. The voice messages you get from faction leaders andTropico 4 is a really motivating game. The campaign is really fun, all 20 missions of it. With tourism, trade, different factions and other aspects of your island to manage, you have a lot to do in this game. It really makes you feel like a dictator too, you can have people assassinated or simple shot in the streets by your soldiers. The voice messages you get from faction leaders and foreign representatives are really funny. While playing the campaign, I only encountered a single glitch (didn't let me finish the mission, had to use a cheat). Also weird: Religious people sometimes demand a cathedral on an island with three apartment buildings and two farms. Expand
  78. Dec 7, 2013
    fthis game sucks so hard dsfsdfsdfsdfsfsdf sdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
  79. May 27, 2014
    I love this game i ve played this game for weeks and it was amazing and i love tropico 4 with the Modren Times dlc and it is more exitng than Tropico 5

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Taking control over the fictitious banana republic Tropico is still very entertaining. The changes from Tropico 3 are not overwhelming, but for new players the learning curve is a bit steep. However Tropico 4 is an addictive title and a safe alternative to Theme - and Sim -games.
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    A well-made instalment of the great game trying not to innovate itself, but pleasing its hardcore fans or newcomers nonetheless – by its new campaign with more assignments, an import option and by a several new buildings addition. One is just wondering why there are still some flaws in the game and why the Tropico 4 does not bear a title of an expansion pack?
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    The game expands and improves the series, making it more approachable than ever, but without losing depth, so it offers the same fun, but improved. However, it evolves little in comparison with the previous entry, so those who enjoyed Tropico 3 won't find many new things in this fourth installment.