Tropico 4 PC

7.7

1. Apr 28, 2015
    Don't buy this game if you have a social life (or a life. period.), as it is probably the most addictive game I have played. Graphics are meh, mechanics are good and it's got some pretty funny political commentary. Would recommend to anyone I don't want to see for a month.
  2. Mar 17, 2015
    Yet another Tropico, with updated graphics, and that's why this game is good. If you already own Tropico 3 you can skip this review and I suggest you not to buy this game, because unless you're a die-hard fan of the Tropico series you won't feel the purchase was worth anything.

That said, this game is marvelous. Unlike almost every city-builder game out there, your goal is not to build a successful city/country but to do anything you can to rule on it and keep doing it surviving elections, coup d'etat, riots, etc.

Graphic is really good, music feels like Buena Vista Social Club (which means awesome), actual game mechanics and enjoyment are flawless.

What this game lacks (and I can't really say exactly why) is longevity, after 3 cities I felt like I had no reasons to build the 4th one... still I'd like to recommend this game to almost everyone.
  3. Jun 25, 2014
    Tropico is a banana-land oriented city builder, it is full of clichés, funny bits, and unique gameplay features such as bribing, corruption and tobacco fields.

The graphics in Tropico 4 are wonderful, the city building is very often limited by landscape but you can do curves, long roads in the nature, and many options to make your city different in each gameplay. It is a city builder with all the classic bits, making money, providing electricity, services, but then there is the background. Tropico happens during the Cold War and you'll have to bear with it, and make decisions that could end up with your nice peaceful city being invaded by the US army

Another good point : the happy salsa music. If you don't like it, you might not enjoy yourself, but it is very entertaining while you're slowly building your city. Only 12-13 songs though, you might end up dreaming about the songs if you're not careful

Now the 3 was already good, the 4 was the same, and the 5 is again.. the same. No improvement justifying buying the 3 versions.

Conclusion : Genius idea, over-used in the long term, and prepare yourself to a butt-dance session on your chair
  4. c3p
    Nov 23, 2013
    Game is probably a 8/10, the fact that i have to provide a mail to play it (even though i bought it on steam), is responsible for -2.
    It's just the most stupid/annoying thing i have seen in a game in a really long time!
  5. May 23, 2013
    A nearly cut and paste copy of Tropico 3. Nice visuals, identical gameplay. Not worth the full price of a standalone game, should have been an expansion.
  6. Apr 25, 2013
    Actually I like the game a lot, if there wasn't those ridiculously low limits for population and streets. You're forced to stop expanding and your beautiful built up city is damned to just stagnate and any gaming fun is gone.
  7. Apr 24, 2013
    This is the first Tropico game i've ever played so my review is based solely on my experiences with this particular game. Tropico is a pretty fun city-building game. It's not as in-depth as Sim City but still manages to be entertaining. There are campaign missions that change up things and offer you objectives to complete which can be relatively challenging at times and was quite fun toThis is the first Tropico game i've ever played so my review is based solely on my experiences with this particular game. Tropico is a pretty fun city-building game. It's not as in-depth as Sim City but still manages to be entertaining. There are campaign missions that change up things and offer you objectives to complete which can be relatively challenging at times and was quite fun to play. There is also a sandbox mode which you can just build your city any way you want. Unfortunately there is a required time limit to all games, even sandbox. So if you were hoping to cover an entire island in buildings like I was, you will be a bit disappointed. Overall I enjoyed it, I recommend trying the demo on Steam if you are interested. Expand
  8. Apr 2, 2013
    In short, very realistic city simulation game, both in the perspective of running a country and citizen simulation. [So, why only 6 out of 10? Because 3 marks deducted for the intrusive DRM, which make the game freeze due to its home calling to server, resulting in a save progress lost] Trading, industry building, politics, population control, housing, health care, election, diplomaticIn short, very realistic city simulation game, both in the perspective of running a country and citizen simulation. [So, why only 6 out of 10? Because 3 marks deducted for the intrusive DRM, which make the game freeze due to its home calling to server, resulting in a save progress lost] Trading, industry building, politics, population control, housing, health care, election, diplomatic issue, etc. All have some depth extent of skills to be mastered, so you can have a good economy while satisfying citizens with different needs. Resolving their conflict with your government is your task. Very realistic indeed. On the other hand, the citizen simulation is good, they really have a living place (unless you make them change by your politic means) and working place (will also vary according to your economy and his/her job satisfaction), you can really feel an alive person when observing them close by, i.e. not a random variable just like 1 "famous game". This game has a good sense of humor and a great simulation, which needs strategic planning. The design of your own avatar is also one key way of your success, depending on your play style. Really worth a try on this. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    Tropico 3.2 imo. Personally I find this game way too easy, there is no question of whether you can make a successful island, it's just a question of will it be great, or will it be awesome. Even on some of the hardest settings you can pretty much make a few sugar farms and have infinite money for the rest of the game.
  10. Feb 28, 2013
    Tropico 4 is a charming little game. The developers have really done the whole el presidente thing quite well and everything from the radio show that talk about your actions and your interactions with the island and your advisers just oozes charm. The management part of the game works alright. There is plenty of buildings, edicts and options to play around with but it lacks depth and iTropico 4 is a charming little game. The developers have really done the whole el presidente thing quite well and everything from the radio show that talk about your actions and your interactions with the island and your advisers just oozes charm. The management part of the game works alright. There is plenty of buildings, edicts and options to play around with but it lacks depth and i found myself doing most stuff simply for my own amusement than for the good of the island. So i am basically saying that the game could be a bit more challenging. Now the elephant in the room that i really should mention is that the game is quite similar to the previous Tropico 3. This wont matter if you are new to the series but if you have played tropico 3 and are expecting a whole new experience then you will be disappointed. And i should also mention that the builders are still a pain in the ass to deal with. Tropico 4 is a decent little management game that relies heavily on its charm and as long as you dont expect the world out of it (or a game vastly different than tropico 3) then you probably wont be disappointed by this game. You should however consider picking up the tropico 3 instead if you find it for a much cheaper price. Expand
  11. Oct 21, 2012
    I really enjoy Tropico and having not played any of the original titles I still enjoy building up a city from time to time. My only problem is that I feel the game should be longer in the sense there should be more than 50 years to the game.
  12. Jul 24, 2012
    I'm neutral to the whole tropico series so this is an actual review about the game, not some lame ass review saying its the same as tropico 3. As a tycoon/city building game, it's not the best in my opinion, compared to sim city and caesar series. I thought hard about why the game was less entertaining, for me it's the fact that you spend so much time waiting. Rather than instantlyI'm neutral to the whole tropico series so this is an actual review about the game, not some lame ass review saying its the same as tropico 3. As a tycoon/city building game, it's not the best in my opinion, compared to sim city and caesar series. I thought hard about why the game was less entertaining, for me it's the fact that you spend so much time waiting. Rather than instantly building things which have an effect on the game you have to constantly wait for builders to get to the spot, immigrants to get to the island, etc etc. The game is a huge waiting fest that slows down fast paced gamers who know what they want to do and want it done right away. However it's still an enjoyable game, for the reason that it's delightfully humoristic, well done and innovative in some ways for a city building game (love the way you can issue laws), complete and quality title. The missions keep you busy enough not to get bored by the repetition. All in all, it's not the best tycoon to spend time on if you have played better ones, maybe if you are uneducated about games you'll rate this a 10, because you're dumb, but as for I, I can fairly rate it a 7, which is actually pretty good, I think this game is definitely worth a try and you will have fun despite not being anything spectacular. Expand
  13. May 25, 2012
    Very minor upgrade from Tropico 3. The Modern Times campaign add-on is significantly better, and should have been Tropico 4 to begin with. I can only recommend this game due to Modern Times, otherwise just stick with T3.
  14. Mar 8, 2012
    This is a quick rehash of the Tropico series, nothing revolutionary. The campaign feels kinda cheap with islands being reused in different chapters. There are also quite serious traffic issues when you get to higher populations, but the game offers zero tools to influence traffic.
  15. Mar 7, 2012
    All in all a good city builder. It doesn't improve much from Tropico 3, and I feel like it's easier somehow, you can easily get both communist and capitalist factions to 100% respect; something impossible in Tropico 3. a good little game, but I think that Tropico 3 is still the best in the series.
  16. Feb 20, 2012
    Rindokisuto is somewhat correct when he says this game doesn't change much. The buildings are mostly the same and the gameplay mechanics haven't changed. However, the graphics are a bit better and it doesn't take a top-of-the-line PC to get everything maxed. My PC was about $1000 for the main components (CPU, GPU, mobo, ram, harddrive) when I built it 4 years ago and I can max everythingRindokisuto is somewhat correct when he says this game doesn't change much. The buildings are mostly the same and the gameplay mechanics haven't changed. However, the graphics are a bit better and it doesn't take a top-of-the-line PC to get everything maxed. My PC was about $1000 for the main components (CPU, GPU, mobo, ram, harddrive) when I built it 4 years ago and I can max everything and have a flawless framerate.

The game does make improvements though, the base of the game is still great and it is asinine for anyone to rate this lower than a 5. Some changes include a more storyline-based campaign. There are not cutscenes or anything, but each island is placed within an overarching vision in the backstory. Also, there are unique events that occur that mix things up more, like feuds between the Communists and Capitalists or specific islands that are, for example, especially rebellious and resistant to rulership with their own unique native characters.

If you beat Tropico 3, don't bother with this game- unless you're extremely into the series like myself. There are plenty of other, more unique games out there to experience. However, if you've never played a Tropico game before, this is the one to play. This game would be rated an 8 for people new to the series, a 5 for people who've beat Tropico 3.
  17. Feb 10, 2012
    Tropico 4 is a better version of Tropico 3. Better graphics, better campaigns but overall...the same game. If you liked Tropico 3, then just replay it. Don't waste your time with Tropico 4 since nothing has really changed. Now some may say thats good but the developer seems to care more about making money then a new product. New concepts, ideas, and more maps are needed to make this gameTropico 4 is a better version of Tropico 3. Better graphics, better campaigns but overall...the same game. If you liked Tropico 3, then just replay it. Don't waste your time with Tropico 4 since nothing has really changed. Now some may say thats good but the developer seems to care more about making money then a new product. New concepts, ideas, and more maps are needed to make this game worth the purchase. Expand
  18. Nov 21, 2011
    This games is a good choice for strategy lovers or city building lovers. The game is also very addictive. There many missions in the game each leading to an in-depth story. You will find it hard to keep up with the building process at times, while at others it can take a while for things to progress. The game is to similar to Tropico 3 for me to give it a higher rating though.
  19. Nov 12, 2011
    It's not as bad as some of the reviews but I wouldn't call it a success. My biggest gripes are the camera and scrolling speed, the graphics seem to make it look more artificial and all the pop-ups and pace of the game have become a nuisance rather than being fun. The ability to import goods makes the game a lot easier than T3. This should probably be the last one in the series as it hasIt's not as bad as some of the reviews but I wouldn't call it a success. My biggest gripes are the camera and scrolling speed, the graphics seem to make it look more artificial and all the pop-ups and pace of the game have become a nuisance rather than being fun. The ability to import goods makes the game a lot easier than T3. This should probably be the last one in the series as it has burned itself out. Expand
  20. Oct 25, 2011
    It is a nice city-building/politics simulator that doesn't take itself very seriously. Contains a nice campaign with 20 missions (but only 10 unique maps). However compared to Tropico 3 this game offers almost nothing new and is more like an expansion. If you own Tropico 3, don't bother wasting money on this.
  21. Oct 14, 2011
    I really enjoyed the very first tropico. Was something fresh, with a great appeal. And i kept on loving it. But i may say one thing: no big improvements since tropico 3. So it isn't absolutely worth the full price. it introduces a few interesting things, like imports, a few more not so important nations, some interesting new building, and natural disasters too. But the campaign isn't thatI really enjoyed the very first tropico. Was something fresh, with a great appeal. And i kept on loving it. But i may say one thing: no big improvements since tropico 3. So it isn't absolutely worth the full price. it introduces a few interesting things, like imports, a few more not so important nations, some interesting new building, and natural disasters too. But the campaign isn't that thrilling, very soon it becomes ad un-sharp and chaotic achievement party; they even introduced twitter and facebook plugins to share your results (as if someone care). I believe it's a little easier than tropico 3 too: i believe the title was subject to some minor rebalancing that eventually made the game more plain: everything could be solved with the same strategy. Even graphics looks a little messier than before. So why a 7 and not a 6? because the game is still fun. I've spent some funny hours, and i will spend more. I suggest you not to buy this until drops to something like 20 eurodollars or so (really, this is more a really good expansion than a new game) Expand
  22. Sep 21, 2011
    More of Tropico 3, but with slightly improved graphics and options. Despite a varied set of objectives, you will end up setting up the same buildings in the same order, like Tropico 2: Pirate Cove. Sound is slightly less memorable: the new Latin music is slightly less upbeat this time, while the Penultimo/Sunny radio show has less clever moments than the Penultimo/Betty Boom banter fromMore of Tropico 3, but with slightly improved graphics and options. Despite a varied set of objectives, you will end up setting up the same buildings in the same order, like Tropico 2: Pirate Cove. Sound is slightly less memorable: the new Latin music is slightly less upbeat this time, while the Penultimo/Sunny radio show has less clever moments than the Penultimo/Betty Boom banter from T3:Absolute Power. I would recommend this game if you enjoyed Tropico 3 (I did) but the novelty has worn off a little. Expand
  23. Sep 6, 2011
    Downloaded this and was very excited to see what new features were in the game. At first I was very pleased with the new layout, music, etc... However, I was soon disappointed in the graphics. My CPU is not state of the art and despite what I have read, the graphics on Medium and High settings are more then it can handle. I can run the game at a custom settings with a lot of theDownloaded this and was very excited to see what new features were in the game. At first I was very pleased with the new layout, music, etc... However, I was soon disappointed in the graphics. My CPU is not state of the art and despite what I have read, the graphics on Medium and High settings are more then it can handle. I can run the game at a custom settings with a lot of the "extras" turned off and it looks okay but Tropico 3 looks better and runs smoother given the same equipment. On low settings everything looks blurry.

I actually play the game on Medium speed due to everything going on. There are A LOT of side quests that pop-up constantly. Its not bad but I feel it takes away from the actual main mission which you may not know until well into the scenario. The "Quick Build" option is a nice feature when all of a sudden you realize there are a lot of shacks on the island. If you don't watch your population you can easily lose the respect of the Communists due to crappy housing and healthcare. Make sure you have your ministry set up and a foreign advisor hired. Then click on the edict for USSR help with half priced Tenements and Apartments.

Side quests are both fun and annoying. Sometimes a quest will pop-up and the US or USSR will ask for some money to improve relations. Not a problem except you can't (to my knowledge) check to see what your faction rating is at that point... Kind of annoying when you send the US 5 grand for an improvement in faction when you are already at 100.

Tropico 4 moves in a direction that unfortunatly a lot of games go now a days. It tries to cram in as much crap into a shorter scenario. Its as if they are making games for people with short attention spans. As an older gamer, I don't mind if it takes awhile as long as I don't have to juggle 15 different things at the same. That gets annoying.

Maybe when I decide to upgrade my Computer, I will be able to enjoy Tropico 4 to its fullest. Right now it is average/good at best. I am still a fan and maybe just need to get acquainted to a faster paced game.
  24. Sep 5, 2011
    I realy liked Tropico 3 and was looking forward for Tropico 4. But.. nothing new, Same graphics, same icons, they just added some new buildings and scenarios. looks like addon, not sequel. Definitely not worth 45eur.

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Taking control over the fictitious banana republic Tropico is still very entertaining. The changes from Tropico 3 are not overwhelming, but for new players the learning curve is a bit steep. However Tropico 4 is an addictive title and a safe alternative to Theme - and Sim -games.
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    A well-made instalment of the great game trying not to innovate itself, but pleasing its hardcore fans or newcomers nonetheless – by its new campaign with more assignments, an import option and by a several new buildings addition. One is just wondering why there are still some flaws in the game and why the Tropico 4 does not bear a title of an expansion pack?
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    The game expands and improves the series, making it more approachable than ever, but without losing depth, so it offers the same fun, but improved. However, it evolves little in comparison with the previous entry, so those who enjoyed Tropico 3 won't find many new things in this fourth installment.