UFO: Extraterrestrials PC

7.1

1. IUnderwhelmed
    May 8, 2007
    It's an Xcom clone, no doubt about it, and while it doesn't go out of it's way to be unique or set itself apart from the classic title, UFO:ET is something that all of the UFO: titles are not: A really good game, and a really good remake of the original.
  2. AndrewP.
    May 8, 2007
    Definitely going back to the roots that made X-COM a classic and is a hell of a lot of fun. It has a few control issues though.
  3. NickW.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I agree with andrew, X-com all over and lots of fun. Once you progress in the game its very hard to stop. "ahh just one more mission."
  4. TeemuH.
    Jul 12, 2007
    Definately the best UFO remake yet, and easy moddability makes up the few flaws. Playable out-of-box, but like in TES4: Oblivion, the game transforms from good to excellent with a good modpackage. After you try couple of those, playing without 'em is like driving a bicycle with your hands tied behind your back.
  5. ChrisL.
    Aug 7, 2007
    Good quality game, modding makes it even more enjoyable. Will be playing this one for a very long time. Shame that this is such an "underground" title.
  6. Jul 4, 2014
    Although having implemented the lite version of a community mod, the game is still a buggy mess.

This means the game itself doesn't really worth a dent.
  7. SeanD.
    Nov 21, 2007
    I wanted to like this game, I desperately did. Something about it, I just couldn't get into it. I am a massive fan of the X-Com series, and it rings fairly true to UFO Defense. The controls are annoying, but manageable, and from what I can tell, there are mods to take care of that problem. Some of what I've seen calls this UFO Defense with a graphics update, but to me the I wanted to like this game, I desperately did. Something about it, I just couldn't get into it. I am a massive fan of the X-Com series, and it rings fairly true to UFO Defense. The controls are annoying, but manageable, and from what I can tell, there are mods to take care of that problem. Some of what I've seen calls this UFO Defense with a graphics update, but to me the graphics are ugly and horrific. They honestly ruined the game for me, I'm not one to be picky about graphics, but they completely ruined it for me. I realize this isn't a major studio game, but that's no excuse, there are games from outside the main studios that still look good. I actually uninstalled this and started searching for user-made patches for X-com so I could run it on my computer. As for the complaint calling normal difficulty like insane, if you played the old X-Com games, then you expect it to be hard regardless of what difficulty setting. If you can get past the ugly look of it, and the unwealdy controls, there is something good underneath. As for me, I'll stick with UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep(which by the way is on steam for $5). Expand
  8. Apr 26, 2011
    Note - This review is for the GOLD edition only.
    When UFO first cam eout almost 4 years ok it was "ok". I bought it from Gamersgate and played it a bit, though probably no more than an afternoon. I would have given it a 6 at the times, though looking back 1 of those points might have been for the nostalgia of the game it tries to emulate (X-Com)
    What the Gold edition offers is just about
    Note - This review is for the GOLD edition only.
    What the Gold edition offers is just about every improvement that the community asked for with the original. Better ranged combat, better AI, better UI, tweaked graphics, moddability (some hard coded into the game - you want turn based or real time combat? It's an option. You want immortal, mortal or VERY mortal troops, select them)
    In fact it turns out that the developers took the contents of the top community mods and (shamelessly but quite understandably) hard coded them into the game along with the existing bug fix and improvement patches (of which there were either 2,3 or 4 depending on how you bought your original game)
    The result is a FAR better game. The graphics will still disappoint some (though they are much better than the original X-Coms form 17 years ago) and the first really good tribute to the Microprose/Gollop brothers legacy.
    I will add that if you have no money what-so-ever then UFO Alien Invasion is an option. It is not as good as this, but for free it's not too bad at all.

nyway, the original release was worth 5 or 6, this one is worth a solid 9 for fans of the game.
  9. LukasK.
    May 2, 2007
    Graphic 8. Story 6. Sound 6. Playable 6. If some good patch don't come soon I will regret my money because the game crush at least once during each mission. "Normal" difficulty is something like "insane". If you like old ufo:enemy unknown style you will love this game but I'm not very consern that this game will overrun UFO:afterlight not even UFO:afterschock. There is no Graphic 8. Story 6. Sound 6. Playable 6. If some good patch don't come soon I will regret my money because the game crush at least once during each mission. "Normal" difficulty is something like "insane". If you like old ufo:enemy unknown style you will love this game but I'm not very consern that this game will overrun UFO:afterlight not even UFO:afterschock. There is no diplomacy in game. No resources. Just money that came from states. Well It's UFO:enemy unknown in 3D which doesn't work very well. Expand
  10. Mar 20, 2013
    I am reviewing this game using the UNI Mod which I think made this game the legitimate successor of the original XCOM. I have heard tha vanilla was not good but the one I purchase was the steam version using BT mod. It was okay at first and I would rate it as a 7 but it made the game for me TOO EASY. So I have research and some recommended the UNIMOD for advance players and I have notI am reviewing this game using the UNI Mod which I think made this game the legitimate successor of the original XCOM. I have heard tha vanilla was not good but the one I purchase was the steam version using BT mod. It was okay at first and I would rate it as a 7 but it made the game for me TOO EASY. So I have research and some recommended the UNIMOD for advance players and I have not looked back. I even restarted my game and I love every piece of the UNIMOD for this game. This game thus elevates itself as one of my all time favorites. Expand
  11. Jul 31, 2012
    I agree with the guy that gave it a 100... Easily... If you haven't played an X-COM game, I don't see how you couldn't enjoy this for the amzing strategy/rpg game that it is... If you have played X-COMs, then you would have to be compelled to say that his is by far one of the most challenging, yet fun one in the series!
  12. Nov 24, 2012
    UFO: Extraterrestrials is a recreation of X-Com where you fight an alien race from invading Earth by building bases, researching new weapons, recruiting marines and taking the fight to the aliens in turn-based ground-combat. UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold Edition has the added bonus that it comes with a lot of modifications that make the game more true to the original or simply lessUFO: Extraterrestrials is a recreation of X-Com where you fight an alien race from invading Earth by building bases, researching new weapons, recruiting marines and taking the fight to the aliens in turn-based ground-combat. UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold Edition has the added bonus that it comes with a lot of modifications that make the game more true to the original or simply less frustrating. Before you start a game, it is worth checking out all the options to make sure they're set to your expectations. Recommended for any one who enjoys turn-based squad-combat games if you can look beyond the horrible, horrible graphics! Expand
  13. May 5, 2015
    This is a short review for the gold version.The gold version contains some mods and all patches when you buy it, so my review might not apply to the base game!

There is nothing special to say, you know the genre, you know how the game works.This game is a remake of the original X-Com and stays close to the course material.I know the game had issues when they released it, i had no bugs at all!THe gameplay is old-school, keep that in mind!

Visuals:The game is not a beauty, but it fullfills it purpose.

Sound:Some good backroundmusic, weaponsounds are ok, nothing special here.

Gameplay:Like i said, very oldschool.It takes X-Com and adds some features, most of them work very well.A good example is the resistance type that armor and enemys have.Some are immune to fire or poison, others are weak to that damagetype and so on.That adds some tactical depth i think.

Conclusion:I had so much fun with the game.Much more fun when i compare it to the new x-com or Xenonauts.The reason is that this game takes the best parts and adds something new, something that i missed in Xenonauts.The artstyle is nice for my taste.Without the bugs this game comes close to the first X-Com and maybe is better in some points.But some things are clunky, because of that its only a 7 which is much higher than my score for Xenonauts ;)

UFO: Extraterrestrials has largely managed to capture the elements that made X-COM such a classic and iconic game. Almost nothing about the game can labeled as innovative or revolutionary, but it is such a well packaged refinement of a proven formula that it is hard to complain.
  2. The best that can be said about the game is that its sci-fi atmosphere and smart artificial intelligence make it a somewhat acceptable way for the desperate to whittle away a couple of dozen hours waiting for someone to finally do a proper remake of "X-COM."
  3. Overall the game is well done and will be very much enjoyed by fans of the classic X:COM games and anyone who enjoys tactical combats.