7.1

1. Apr 26, 2011
    Note - This review is for the GOLD edition only.
    When UFO first cam eout almost 4 years ok it was "ok". I bought it from Gamersgate and played it a bit, though probably no more than an afternoon. I would have given it a 6 at the times, though looking back 1 of those points might have been for the nostalgia of the game it tries to emulate (X-Com)
    What the Gold edition offers is just about
    every improvement that the community asked for with the original. Better ranged combat, better AI, better UI, tweaked graphics, moddability (some hard coded into the game - you want turn based or real time combat? It's an option. You want immortal, mortal or VERY mortal troops, select them)
    In fact it turns out that the developers took the contents of the top community mods and (shamelessly but quite understandably) hard coded them into the game along with the existing bug fix and improvement patches (of which there were either 2,3 or 4 depending on how you bought your original game)
    The result is a FAR better game. The graphics will still disappoint some (though they are much better than the original X-Coms form 17 years ago) and the first really good tribute to the Microprose/Gollop brothers legacy.
    I will add that if you have no money what-so-ever then UFO Alien Invasion is an option. It is not as good as this, but for free it's not too bad at all.

nyway, the original release was worth 5 or 6, this one is worth a solid 9 for fans of the game.
  2. Jul 31, 2012
    I agree with the guy that gave it a 100... Easily... If you haven't played an X-COM game, I don't see how you couldn't enjoy this for the amzing strategy/rpg game that it is... If you have played X-COMs, then you would have to be compelled to say that his is by far one of the most challenging, yet fun one in the series!
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    I am reviewing this game using the UNI Mod which I think made this game the legitimate successor of the original XCOM. I have heard tha vanilla was not good but the one I purchase was the steam version using BT mod. It was okay at first and I would rate it as a 7 but it made the game for me TOO EASY. So I have research and some recommended the UNIMOD for advance players and I have not looked back. I even restarted my game and I love every piece of the UNIMOD for this game. This game thus elevates itself as one of my all time favorites. Expand

UFO: Extraterrestrials has largely managed to capture the elements that made X-COM such a classic and iconic game. Almost nothing about the game can labeled as innovative or revolutionary, but it is such a well packaged refinement of a proven formula that it is hard to complain.
  2. The best that can be said about the game is that its sci-fi atmosphere and smart artificial intelligence make it a somewhat acceptable way for the desperate to whittle away a couple of dozen hours waiting for someone to finally do a proper remake of "X-COM."
  3. Overall the game is well done and will be very much enjoyed by fans of the classic X:COM games and anyone who enjoys tactical combats.