8.3

1. Jul 30, 2012
    Unepic is a game that is vaguely reminiscent of Castlevania. Instead of putting out the lights with a whip though, you are trying to light each one in each room (and no whip is involved). The game is a 2D platformer wherein you work yourself through a maze of rooms fighting enemies, earning XP and picking up objects. After working yourself through a particular part of the map and fighting a boss you'll find the key to a new part of the map with new rooms to explore and new enemies to fight. The game has a strong RPG element in it, which is the thing that ties the whole game together and makes it so addictive. When you earn enough XP you get to distribute points in a number of skills. When the game begins you start with a number of weapon skills (which determine the level of the weapon you can wield), a skill that determines your hit points, a skill that determines the level of potions you can brew, and a skill that determines the level of armor you can wear. Later in the game, after completing certain quests, you learn the ability to cast certain spells (e.g. you learn the skill to cast fire spells). The spells are powerful but require ingredients which are found by defeating certain enemies. The story is intentionally cliche and is told with a good helping of humor through the eyes of the protagonist (a Dungeons & Dragons player who is whisked away to the evil castle the game is set in). It is also full of references to games and movies which are littered throughout the dialog. All in all a great, very addictive game which I can definitely recommend. Expand
  2. Jun 18, 2013
    Challenging on any mode but easy. Feels fresh and nostalgic, but lacks refinement. It's like.. 90% done. I've only played an hour or so, but had to restart because "Normal" is as hard as an old NES game. In a second or two you can be dead and have to restart from a few minutes back. Easy is breezy and more fun to me. I like the game. It's worth $8
  3. Jun 20, 2013
    Unepic is one of the best Metroidvanias I have ever played. The map is enormous, the sense of humor great (specially if you speak Spanish) and it is quite challenging. You can develop different kinds of character, focusing on ranged attacks, melee or magic, and even different kinds of magic. There are a lot of quests and old-school final bosses.
    The level design is great and invites you
    to explore and find hidden rooms and unique objects.
    The graphics are beautiful, and the music fits the action perfectly.
    If you like platform games, Castlevania, and RPGs, you can't miss this game.
  4. Jun 29, 2013
    Love this game. It brings back memories the coop is unfinished but still fun at this point. Love the fact you can make your own dungeons and play them in coop. So far the single player has me hooked and wht they have done on the coop is great can not wait ti see coop 100%. Would suggest this game to anyone that likes old school dungeon crawlers.
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    A tedious console port that tries to make light of the cliche fantasy and nerd culture but just comes across as un-inventive. The combat is so stiff and boxy that most of the time you end up just hurting yourself on the opponent. You can't aim bows, jumping and moving at the same time is a joke and the controls are a mess until you tweak them to 180 from what the developers set. If this game had controls like Terraria it would actually be quite amazing. I think the steam early access business model is just another Kickstarter wannabe and this game is a good indicator of what you will get on there. Unpolished, featureless games that would never make it to an actual release date but instead gain funding through promises and flashy demo videos. Expand
  6. Aug 9, 2012
    I've never played Castlevania - which Unepic is often compared to - so I wasn't sure what I'd think of the game but I gave it a go anyways. All in all it's an amazing game and definately worth the small change for the hours you will invest in it. The overall plot is fairly standard RPG-plot, but I thought the characters were very interesting and funny, and there's an interesting twist at the end. The dialogue is sometimes strained - seeming a bit unnatural to try and get a particular reference or joke in, but that's rare and it's generally hilarious. The gameplay is simple but doesn't get boring - you can choose a variety of different ways to fight and can level up your skills according to that playstyle, and bosses generally force you to adopt interesting tactics to kill them. It can be annoying at the start as it's hard to tell what the optimum skills to spend your points in are and you're continuously gaining new skills as you play, but it's really up to the players own intelligence to keep a few points stashed away as you learn. The side quests aren't particularly creative but they're often fun and give you a sense of excitement as you explore the huge castle as there's usually always something interesting just around the corner. In the end, I didn't give the game a 10 even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, because firstly monsters respawn extremely quickly. This is aggravating when you get lost or keep dying at a certain area (or just falling off a ledge and having to run around) and have to run through 4-5 rooms to get back through piles of annoying monsters - they're generally not easy kills and have annoying abilities. Secondly some of the quests are too similar and by the end it feels somewhat like you're just going through the motions and like you can predict how all the quests will be. Expand
  7. Jul 5, 2013
    Don't believe Horsington's review and score. He doesn't know how the classics played in the NES-times and this game oozes with the charm of that era. It's fun, open for exploration, rpg-mechanics, fun bosses to kill and funny deaths to experience. Don't believe his claim that the game is like this because of the early acces. If he had the ability to read he would've known that the singleplayer of the game has been finished last year and that the game is only in early acces because of the multiplayer-beta. You don't need to aim bows as you have lock-aim. If you did had the ability for self aim this game would be unplayable at some sections. Combat is not stiff and boxy but fluent and open for different approaches or different weapons. Controls are also not a mess, just plug a gamepad in and you are set to go. Keyboard controls are exactly the same.

He also claims this is an console port and that's just Horsinton being silly as this is a fully developed game for the pc and isn't even available on consoles.

Consensus,

Mr. Horsington talks out of his horse ass and is being a troll that just likes to pew pew in the next CoD.

A solid 9 for Unepic, without the multiplayer i would rate it an 8.
  8. Jul 3, 2013
    This game has many old school features that the hardcore RPG fan will love. Way back when... when beating a boss doesn't feel like you're getting handed anything, but much more like you've really earned it, and that comes with its own satisfaction. Finding secret rooms by attacking blank walls can be dangerous or rewarding, or both, depending on what is lurking on the other side. All around good fun. With a separate set of multi-player levels you and your friends can get together and bash baddie butts! I would almost call this a 2D platforming version of Dark Souls, if that helps to sum it up for anyone. Unforgiving and yet rewarding at the same time. Expand
  9. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a 9.5. If you like Temple of Apshai, old school RPGs with puzzles and stats, platforming, and puzzles with secrets, this is the game for you.

The graphics are surprisingly good. The game is very addictive and flows along well. The story is very clever, and the humor is spot on.

To get a 10 from me, there would have to be more puzzles, more stats, more spells, and more
    strategy.

But, most of that is already there. I'm already hoping for a sequel. Great job!
  10. Jul 3, 2013
    I'd say that this i a really well made rpg 2D plat game. The athmosphere is great and all the links to history of videogames are really funny. The story is pretty nice and the gameplay is old but gold. Probably the combat mechanics are not deep at all, based on who-hit-first. On the other hand the locations are all researched and overall the game is really enjoyable. i'll suggest at that price to everyone and to play it at Hard or Hard++ difficulty! Expand
  11. Jul 23, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have played all year, and I did not really enjoy playing Castlevania, and really don't do platformers at all anymore. Playing with a gamepad, control is excellent! Amazing job, do yourself a favor and spend the $8, there are games that are 4x the price that have half the entertainment value. I was not sure what to expect when I started the game, and promptly died on one of the first rooms (greed!). Only issue I have is the quest system could use a bit of work, fairly far into the game, and feel I have to backtrack to find objects that I missed early on. This is resolved by clicking on the map and making notes when you find anything unusual, but can't currently pick it up. Just wish I had started that from the beginning, as I forgot to mark some locations. Good stuff, hope it adds steam workshop, and more content soon!. The game says it is still in development on steam, but the solo quest is 100%, is the multiplayer they are working on. Have not tried multiplayer at all yet, but looking forward to giving it a shot. Expand
  12. Jul 13, 2013
    I play Unepic since it came with in an Humble Bundle Indie Pack over a year ago.
    The Gameplay is the best to get if u like dungeon adventure quest games. I love the graphics, all the persons & ghosts & monsters, the quests and all the great humor. Gameplay is even after months of abstinences no problem to get in again & funny fine to stay on. It´s just a big gem One of the 10 best games
    I play (ed) ever! Expand
  13. Jun 21, 2013
    I got this upon its Steam release, and considering the low price, have certainly gotten my money's worth. The gameplay brings me back to the Symphony of the Night days of Castlevania, though I wound up playing with the keyboard only, as there are so many weapons, spells, potions, and even pets that you will want to hotkey, a controller just isn't up to the task. Really not up to the task, as the game simply would not let me hotkey items on controller buttons. Not a huge issue, and as I said, the keyboard works better for this anwyay.
    I'm playing on medium difficulty, and if I die, it's either because I've done something like fall off a platform, or was in some way not paying attention. It's simple enough to be relaxing to play, yet offering choices in weaponry and magic that let you decide how to handle any particular situation.
    Great amount of entertainment for the price, but as the title flatly states, it's not epic. Not every game can be of course. But Unepic is fun, and I think that's all it was wanting to be.
  14. Jul 1, 2013
    This game is unusual, but in a good and refreshing way. It is a platformer with your main objective being to kill the lord of the castle you're stuck in. The story is somewhat weak, but fun anyways.

The two things I dislike would be, A: The major repetition of the f-word, s-word, etc. and it's just sort of unnecessary. They use the words so much it gets annoying. Honestly. The other
    would be lack of a control interface, so I was stuck using the arrow keys rather than the WASD keys. Oh well. Overall, pretty good game. Expand
  15. Feb 4, 2014
    Awsome game the 68% metacritic score is totally misleading just look at the user score and uill see most people love this game me included dont hesitate to buy we need more games made like this
  16. Jul 17, 2013
    Game play is fun if you enjoy Castlevania (or Rogue Legacy) type of game play. RPG elements for leveling fit very well into the game and the humor is feels very witty without bludgeoning you with the punchline (i.e. not American humor, more British/Monty Python).

There's a few references to pop culture elements that made me roll my eyes, but overall this game is fun and it's easy to
    pick up, run for a little bit then put down. The game/levels feel bigger than most AAA game levels.

Well written, well designed, well balanced. If you like Dungeons and Dragons, this game is one you'll want for the library.
  17. Sep 18, 2013
    I really don't play RPG game very often, but this one blow my mind. Fun to play, lot of things to explore, funny dialogs and ease of play is the best thing is this game. Low price is one of things that is very welcome for buying this game. So if you have some 7 euros or 7 dollars to spend, buy this and enjoy 20 or more hours of play.
  18. Oct 6, 2013
    Unepic is best played with friends. The game is quite challenging and it helps to have more than one person to tackle the tasks and challenges the game throws at you. The game revolves around a DnD style and I'm just going to say it, the Dungeon Master is an absolute troll. Unepic will make you laugh, chances are it won't make you cry and you'll have a good time.
  19. Oct 31, 2013
    A Metroidania game at heart, but with its own major touches, Unepic is worth the buy. Now if you dont enjoy enjoy playing castlevania, then you probably wont like this game, the gameplay mechanics are much the same, similiar art style, and a big castle with lots of platforms and monsters. Where it starts to get different is in the skills and dialogue, the new dialogue being of a very nerdy guy and his cliche grumpy ghost buddy. The skill system that is implemented is a nice touch and pretty simple, you kill X amount of monsters, lvl up, then put a few points into the skills of your choice, such as, strength, axes, swords, magic, and so on. The magic system is a bit underpowered in that you really only get enough points to effectively use 2-3 of the 8 magics. All and all I put 20 hours into my first playthrough and enjoyed every bit of it. Expand
  20. Nov 25, 2013
    An awesome RPG game in the form of a platformer. Kind of like the old school 2D Castlevania games but with much more of a focus on RPG elements. Can't really think of another title that's such a neat mashup of the two genres. The single player part of the game is well-polished and seems like it is reasonably lengthy. It's also well-written with a good sense of humor in the dialogue with numerous references to other games and pop culture. I know it has an unusual name but don't overlook this gem!! Expand
  21. Jul 31, 2013
    Fabulous lot of dungeon, lot of itens, lot of fun !!!

Great game See some videos and if you dont care for a beautiful graphics this is your game
  22. Nov 8, 2013
    A very rare case when MC score are very on spot at best game deserves 7/10. There are a lot of great ideas and concepts behind ugly implementation and bad, poor design choices uneven gameplay, pace and difficulty. It feels like an indie debut from a very young developer(s). I suggest think twice before purchasing it, there is a very high chance you will be disappointed.
  23. Jan 16, 2014
    Best 2D RPG I ever played. Unepic is epic, also funny. Don't let critics fool you, also the game is still unfinished. You better try it anyway, it may be just the game you were looking for (if you love old school RPGs).
  24. Sep 27, 2013
    First of all is a work in progress. Multiplayer it's beign finished. The game is a 2D platformer with RPG elements. Everything fits together very very well. The keyboard controls are just amazing, well implemented and fast to learn. Nice big castle to explore, and the graphics are just fine. Really nice game that you can see (If you play a lot of games) that a lot of care is well put
    into the game, from controls, to gameplay, menus, inventory, all of it.
    Even with no MP yet, i am giving it a 9.
    Yes, it can get "repetitive" since it's and adventure platformer, but all of the items on the game,
    the RPG elements and the humor makes it run until the end of the SP campaign.
  25. Jun 11, 2014
    This game is really fun and challenging, many of the bad scores i had seen here are from people who didn't even took the time to learn the controls (they ain't even hard, its just not the usual platform formula).

As a gamer that loves the old fun and simple style its just perfect, and with the D&D like play and jokes this became the best game i've played ever, it's not the best history
    of course but it is the funniest.

If you are a fan of the RPG genre, this is a must.
  26. Aug 31, 2013
    At first sight, Unepic just looks like other adventure games
    vut it gave totaly different satisfaction to me.
    Love the story of the game(well, not that important though)
    And wits that makes me laugh at every single one.
    With cheap price, it's worth buying it.
  27. Sep 30, 2013
    Es un gran juego, se merece mas puntuación, tengo muchos juegos pero ninguno me ha enganchado más para querer pasármelo que este. Le pongo una nota de 9 porque pienso que quedan cosas por pulir.
  28. Nov 15, 2013
    Very nice game. Not too easy, not too hard. Fantastic plat-former with RPG elements.Hilarious plot and a lot of things to do.
    One of the most underestimated game of the recent years.
  29. Dec 12, 2013
    Simplesmente épico....Esse jogo lembra muito antigos jogos da era super nintendo. Parece muito com os primeiros Castlevania e o mais legal, tem legendas em português.
  30. Dec 27, 2013
    This is honestly a great game. The reviewers based it off the Alpha/Beta state of the game during early access, the game has changed drastically since then. Ignore their reviews and seriously... pick up this game if you like RPG side scrollers/platformers.
  31. Feb 21, 2014
    If you've ever enjoyed a game of Dungeons & Dragons, you should get this. The levelling up system is great, letting you (eventually) make the character that you want to play. Multiplayer is in the PC version, as is a level designer. The Wii-U version makes great use of the controller, and has off-screen play.
  32. Jun 22, 2014
    Um jogo bastante divertido. Muito bom jogar um 2D como se fosse na época do 8bits.

Recomendado para quem gosta de um RPG.

Poderiam fazer nesse estilo visando cyberpunks. =)
  33. Jul 27, 2014
    UnEpic is a 2D side scroller game that was developed by one single person over a period of two years!

I first saw this game on Steam's Greenlight group and voted 'Yes" to it. I forgot about it for a while and then saw it was in Early access. I had this game on my Wishlist for a while and eventually decided to purchase it.

The Single player game is completed but I found a couple
    issues where the voice wouldn't come through and it was just the text. Other then that the game is completed for single player and is very enjoyable.

It starts off with a group of friends playing a role playing game and then one of them has to leave the table and mysteriously finds himself in a dungeon. Starting off with only your lighter to light the way you will come across a spirit who possess you and add some conversation along the way.

Their is many references to movies and games through out and the first one is Chester Copperpot!

The game is playable with the Xbox360 controller and was also made to be played with it. The developer did an awesome job in making this game and also to the little things that make it enjoyable to play.

I spent three hours so far playing the game and found that there are in game achievements to get that add to the fun.

There is also a healing spot to replenish your health and remove any afflictions. The healing spot will also save the game to.

I have included a video of my first 25 minutes of play so you can see what its like.

UnEpic is a fun and enjoyable game. I recommend it because it really is worth a play!
  34. Aug 7, 2014
    The game mixes very well the humor and the nerd/geek topics, I found it very funny. Also it's challenging, and that encourage the player to continue the game until you finish it. The voices in Spanish are just awesome.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    Among surreal situations and a strong quotations, Unepic is distinguished by the fact of being a game that does not take itself too seriously.
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    With over twenty hours of content and a paltry $8 price tag, Unepic is worth experiencing, even if to re-explore a childhood fantasy.
  3. Apr 5, 2012
    UnEpic delivers an unoriginal but well written story, packed with some funny lines; a solid action platform gameplay, full of back tracking and respawn; and some hardcore RPG elements. The end result is a game that hardly lends itself to interpretations: you either love it or hate it.