8.5

1. Jun 8, 2011
    While Universe at War could have been a glorious game, comparable to Starcraft in how different the factions are, there are some issues that make it considerably less than it could have been. First of all the most glaring example, units are too strong. Every fight lasts minutes because units have so much health and so little damage. Superweapons are a mere support power, in fact the onlyWhile Universe at War could have been a glorious game, comparable to Starcraft in how different the factions are, there are some issues that make it considerably less than it could have been. First of all the most glaring example, units are too strong. Every fight lasts minutes because units have so much health and so little damage. Superweapons are a mere support power, in fact the only super weapon that is powerful is the Novus Gravity Bomb, a black-hole type power that sucks all units into it. Oh, and it deals more damage than almost anything else. Another issue is the fact that two of the three factions are considerably more useful than the third. The 1st faction, Hierarchy, who is based around steamrolling, yet have the best scout (Monolith) and the have the ability to see the entire map at once. They are also the only faction to have an artillery unit, who is also debatable the most powerful Hero unit in the game. They also have structures who double as what is essentially an Epic/Super unit. The 2nd faction, Novus, is a swarming faction who also has the only notable Air units. The Dervish is a fast fighter that also has the ability to shoot lightning in every direction and kill just about anything. They are also supported by Vertigo, the only Air Hero. Vertigo is stealthed, fast, and has a deadly Railgun. The Novus also have Mirabel, who has more offensive capability than any other Novus unit. She has a powerful burst-fire Railgun, shoulder launched anti-ground missiles, and the ability to snipe a target from long distances. This Sniper ability is the only weapon that can instant kill another unit besides Superpowers. The final faction, the Masari, are supposedly Gods, yet are horribly outmatched. They supposedly are the turtling faction, yet the Novus have the only turret that can hit air and ground. The Novus turret also redirects enemy fire and increases in damage as more of them are made. The Hierarchy has an anti-ground turret that can mutate infantry into zombies and hold most vehicles at bay. The Hierarchy Anti-air turret can pull air units to the ground while it kills them when upgraded. The Air units cannot escape. Even Vertigo is not immune. The Hierarchy also has a stealth hero who can pull air units down, and then turn invincible as he drains their health. He can also drain vehicles health while invincible. His claws deal with infantry easily. Generally, this makes him a deadly force against all units. His one weakness: He has pathetic range. The game does have many more differences in the factions than games like Supreme Commander 2, but it is nowhere close to the differences between Starcraft's factions, and the differences are not exploited as much as in games like Command and Conquer 3. Expand
  2. MarkoP.
    Jan 20, 2008
    The game is a standard RTS set in the very near future with different gameplay for each of the 3 assymetric factions. what takes this game apart is the ability to change your tactics on the fly through the use of tactical dynamics, adapting to each of the battlefield conditions. a win for all looking for something new to the genre. :)
  3. Jake
    Jan 21, 2008
    Uber scifi goodness. By far some of the best unit and faction design since Starcraft.
  4. Gonlo
    Jan 5, 2008
    Fun game to the end. the races are really awesome and fun. multiplayer and skirmish are great to play after you've beaten the campaign.
  5. Sephl
    Jan 7, 2008
    Because I generally dislike RTS games, I was surprised that I really liked this one. The bottom line: if you like RTS, you will like this game. If you like Starcraft, you will like this game. Even if you don't like RTS, at least give this one a try (as long as you enjoy aliens blowing up everything mankind has worked thousands of years to create).
  6. Gzod
    Jan 24, 2008
    Pure RTS fun! The faction design in UAW is some of the best since Starcraft.
  7. ArcLadthe
    Jan 5, 2008
    UAW is a shining example of flare and balance. I have not played an RTS in years that has factions as diverse and unique as this game. The balance in multiplayer is amazing and hard to believe they nailed it. I'm used to games like C&C 3 where it has 9 patches and the EA team still can't balance the game. Universe at war is a must buy for any RTS fan.
  8. Fahim
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sci-fi RTS never looked better (Starcraft excluded...obviously). Petroglyph has pulled out some serious stuff this time. As said earlier all three factions are nothing alike. Even the resourse gathering technology is different. (Target the masari resource gathering structure and watch a big boom!!!) Heroes really make a difference. Choosing right ability at right time can smoothen up a Sci-fi RTS never looked better (Starcraft excluded...obviously). Petroglyph has pulled out some serious stuff this time. As said earlier all three factions are nothing alike. Even the resourse gathering technology is different. (Target the masari resource gathering structure and watch a big boom!!!) Heroes really make a difference. Choosing right ability at right time can smoothen up a lot of things (Use Mirabels sniper shot at the core of a walker and enjoy an early christmas!!!) The tech tree really gives a different type of gameplay as you can only research up to 6 options out of 12. this gives a different tactics each time you play and choosing different options gives you different bonuses. All around a great RTS. Expand
  9. RADestroyer
    Nov 20, 2007
    Hands down one of the best RTS games I've played all year. The factions are truly unique and fun to play. I love the tech trees and customization in the game. I recommend UAW to anyone who's looking for something new in the RTS genre and wants more than your standard RTS spam units and win game-play.
  10. MichaelR.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Awesome Game! Love the three unique sides. I really enjoyed being able to re-configure my giant walkers with new weapons during combat on the fly. I haven't see that done before in an RTS. Also the giant walkers moving over mountains and various terrain was very fluid, again haven't see than done well until UAW. The graphics are great to maxed out in high detail.. A keeper in my Awesome Game! Love the three unique sides. I really enjoyed being able to re-configure my giant walkers with new weapons during combat on the fly. I haven't see that done before in an RTS. Also the giant walkers moving over mountains and various terrain was very fluid, again haven't see than done well until UAW. The graphics are great to maxed out in high detail.. A keeper in my book. Great job Petroglyph. Expand
  11. FragdollM.
    Dec 14, 2007
    Love the game, best RTS with unique factions out there. multiplayer is hands down one of the best, I have yet to have any problems matching, unlike C&C 3 which never seems to work.
  12. ChristophH.
    Dec 18, 2007
    At first I was really sceptical about this. Looking at the screenshots I thought that it was way too colorful, but what I figured out now, instead is that the other games are just way too black & white. This game reminds me so much of the Command and Conquer we used to love, back in the days when Westwood was still around and not bought by E.
  13. MarcoP.
    Dec 19, 2007
    UAW is one of the best, if not best RTS out there! 3 different und 100% unique sides. play either as the mighty hierachy, using gigantic walkers of doom. The ai faction called novus, which are able to use flowlines to travel fast across the wohle map, kinda like using the Internet! and than you have the massari a ancient faction, 3 times older than the hierachy, thats also the reason why UAW is one of the best, if not best RTS out there! 3 different und 100% unique sides. play either as the mighty hierachy, using gigantic walkers of doom. The ai faction called novus, which are able to use flowlines to travel fast across the wohle map, kinda like using the Internet! and than you have the massari a ancient faction, 3 times older than the hierachy, thats also the reason why they have alot of 1337 units and the best defense! And now...BUY IT! Expand
  14. IvanP.
    Dec 28, 2007
    UAW is a solid RTS with tons of game-play. My 10 rating comes from the fact that they manage to create 3 totally distinct factions and still have a balanced and fun multiplayer game. I look forward to crushing those XBOX 360 players in the near future.
  15. FilipO.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Mixed with the experience from C&C, with Frank Klepackis music this game is a true masterpiece. The balance and difference between three factions haven't been seen like this since Starcraft. Every match varies from the other, and playing this game will never be boring. I strongly recommend this to any fan om the RTS-series, and especially C&C.
  16. Dylon
    Dec 5, 2007
    UAW is a great RTS with tons of new features to the genre. My favorite thing most of all is that the game requires unit mixing for maximum force. This is a huge boost over other generic RTS (C&C 3) which require you to build really quick and spam the same unit over and over. A lot of thought went into this game and it shows, multiplayer is the best.
  17. RolandG.
    Jan 12, 2008
    No problems here. On a pretty powerful laptop, no crashes bugs or lag. Graphics are great and gamreplay is silky smooth. Perfect game to hold you over till SC2.
  18. KellerW.
    Jan 15, 2008
    Universe at war shines, proving that old school RTS still rocks a genre filled with gimicky and generic RTS games like World in Conflict.
  19. OsakaH.
    Jan 18, 2008
    Brilliant multiplayer and factions. By far one of the better balanced and more unique RTS games I've played as of late.
  20. AlexP.
    Jan 19, 2008
    Game has good graphics and is fun it runs a little slow on my old machine but i enjoy playing it with my friend microsoft live is not very good, but you can get around that pretty easy.
  21. BobN.
    Jan 3, 2008
    Ignore the reviews on this one... You have to be pretty jaded not to enjoy this game. It's been a long times since anything new was introduced to RTS, and UaW is the only one in a long time to actually do something different. The factions are all cool, and completely different.
  22. KyleS.
    Feb 16, 2008
    What can I say, UAW is great fun. It has some of the most balanced RTS multiplayer for a game with only 1 patch. Each side in UAW is very unique and plays so differently. This is so unlike other games in the genre that mask bad faction design with pretty graphics or increased zoom features. My friends and I can't stop playing this game, it has now taking the place of Dawn of War in our dorm.
  23. AlexM
    Jul 13, 2008
    it's a long time since I played such a great RTS. UaW is like a breath of fresh air after the dull and disappointing CNC3 (and I am a big fan of C&C series).
  24. FrankT.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Universe at War: Earth Assault has three main features that catch the eye. 1.) Frank Klepacki's music. Frank Klepacki ,known as the creator of Hell's March and various other classic cnc music, has created 3 unique flavors for UaW. The Hierarchy has a rock base theme. The Novus has electronica. The Masari have this epic orchestral sound 2.) Tactical Dynamics. Ever realize your Universe at War: Earth Assault has three main features that catch the eye. 1.) Frank Klepacki's music. Frank Klepacki ,known as the creator of Hell's March and various other classic cnc music, has created 3 unique flavors for UaW. The Hierarchy has a rock base theme. The Novus has electronica. The Masari have this epic orchestral sound 2.) Tactical Dynamics. Ever realize your air force will be slaughtered cause the enemy? Well if your faction happens to be masari you can switch to dark mode for additional defense plus landing your ground troops. All factions have unique ways of dealing with potential problems of other factions 3.) Simple Clean UI. The UI may be small, but it's clean, noncluttered which is a result of the xbox port. There are nice features, but this game isn't perfect. There are some path finding issues and Games for Windows certainly isn't a totally positive experience. Overall this game deserves anywhere from a 9 to 10. Expand
  25. ChrisM.
    Nov 23, 2007
    From the Developers of Star Wars Empire at War with a collective talent Spanning the Best of the RTS Genre comes UNIVERSE AT WAR: EARTH ASSAULT. Earth is Invaded and Humanity Brought to its knees in this Melee Invasion in which you play as One of 3 different Alien Factions. Do you protect, destroy or follow your own agenda? This game is an Awesomely creative game with Tactical Dynamics From the Developers of Star Wars Empire at War with a collective talent Spanning the Best of the RTS Genre comes UNIVERSE AT WAR: EARTH ASSAULT. Earth is Invaded and Humanity Brought to its knees in this Melee Invasion in which you play as One of 3 different Alien Factions. Do you protect, destroy or follow your own agenda? This game is an Awesomely creative game with Tactical Dynamics that allows you to customise your factions' armies on the fly, from the Research Tree to the Armaments and patches on your units. I'd mark this game as possibly the greatest RTS since the Original C&C, better than StarCraft!! Expand
  26. AndrewB.
    Nov 26, 2007
    This is honestly one of the first RTSs to come out that really forces you to actually mix units and not just spam one type. The customization is amazing especially with the Hierarchy walkers. I strongly suggest this game to anyone that has ever found some interest in the RTS gametype.
  27. FloydB.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Being a big C&C fan I was skeptical at first. How could anything be better than C&C 3? Well Universe at War made me a believer. Everything about UAW oozes depth and tactics. Players can customize their technology on the fly through one of the best research systems I've seen in years. It beats C&C 3 plop a tech center down and call it a day mechanic. Every faction is totally unique Being a big C&C fan I was skeptical at first. How could anything be better than C&C 3? Well Universe at War made me a believer. Everything about UAW oozes depth and tactics. Players can customize their technology on the fly through one of the best research systems I've seen in years. It beats C&C 3 plop a tech center down and call it a day mechanic. Every faction is totally unique and unlike the other. Like many others have said, we've haven't seen this really since Starcraft. The GUI is very streamlined and clean, you could tell the devs got rid of all the things players didn't really need and gave them more screen to play with. Overall, UAW is an awesome game that I would recommend to anyone. I can honestly say C&C 3 is now shelved and UAW is occupying my time. Expand
  28. Rogue9
    Feb 11, 2008
    The balance in UAW is some of the best i've seen in an RTS that has three different sides. The gameplay is very fun and UAW is a hit for LAN games with friends.
  29. apop
    Aug 31, 2008
    Best game I've played in a VERY long time, The soundtrack effects and voices are great. The storyline oozes with personality and I'm loving every minute of the campaign. Don't let the poor reviews fool you, The current game has been patched 3 times and although the initial release may have been buggy, the same could be said of many things. If you've been playing every Best game I've played in a VERY long time, The soundtrack effects and voices are great. The storyline oozes with personality and I'm loving every minute of the campaign. Don't let the poor reviews fool you, The current game has been patched 3 times and although the initial release may have been buggy, the same could be said of many things. If you've been playing every RTS since Dune II like I have you're in for a treat. It really is a fantastic game. Expand
  30. Oct 13, 2011
    All in all, the story line seems pretty good. However after playing for a dozen or so hours, I discovered that it randomly crashes, constantly sending me backwards, which is VERY frustrating. Along side some very... odd behavior from certain units. I had a walker take off on me, wandering through areas where nothing was supposed to be able to walk through, which confused the AI and madeAll in all, the story line seems pretty good. However after playing for a dozen or so hours, I discovered that it randomly crashes, constantly sending me backwards, which is VERY frustrating. Along side some very... odd behavior from certain units. I had a walker take off on me, wandering through areas where nothing was supposed to be able to walk through, which confused the AI and made it's legs freeze and basically do circles. It had the potential to be a really good game, however the flaws within the game make it not worth the 20 price tag. Luckily I bought it on sale, so I don't feel completely ripped off. Collapse
  31. Mcneal
    Jan 10, 2008
    Finally an RTS game where all three factions have different play styles, functionality, and personality. Who would have thought this possible after generic games like C&C 3 and SupCom. UAW is a fine fine game worth checking, simply for the fact that all three factions are truly unique and a blast to play online.
  32. AaronK
    Dec 27, 2009
    Addictive sci-fi RTS rocks my socks with its epic feel and cool sci-fi styles and archetypes. Dig it.
  33. MortenA
    Jan 20, 2010
    The graphics of this game is absolutely horrible. The game screenshots looks really nice, but once you start the game you will discover the truth: It looks like graphics from the early 90'ies. The trailer looks really awesome. It is the same trailer shown when starting the game, but after that the trailers inside the game look terrible. The graphics in the in game trailers is so bad The graphics of this game is absolutely horrible. The game screenshots looks really nice, but once you start the game you will discover the truth: It looks like graphics from the early 90'ies. The trailer looks really awesome. It is the same trailer shown when starting the game, but after that the trailers inside the game look terrible. The graphics in the in game trailers is so bad you think it must be a joke. I normally don't mind graphics that isn't too perfect, but the graphics of this game looks like something that was drawn in MS paint by someone without any kind of artistic background. The sound is half decent. Think the first command & conquer and then reduce quality by about 50% and you reach the sound quality of this game. I can't believe I just paid for this game, I feel completely ripped off. The game isn't worth 20 Expand
  34. StuartD.
    May 30, 2008
    I loved Petroglyph's efforts with Empire at War and its expansion. I really wanted to like this game. I installed it. After 2 minutes, a crash to desktop. I've troubleshooted it to death. Silly me, I thought a game that's been out for going on a year would be stable. May I propose a new name: Universe at War: Crash to Desktop Stay far, far away from this game. You've I loved Petroglyph's efforts with Empire at War and its expansion. I really wanted to like this game. I installed it. After 2 minutes, a crash to desktop. I've troubleshooted it to death. Silly me, I thought a game that's been out for going on a year would be stable. May I propose a new name: Universe at War: Crash to Desktop Stay far, far away from this game. You've been warned. Expand
  35. JohnS.
    Dec 20, 2007
    What we see here is an evoluton of the standart RTS engine cash cow, a stereotype cliche typecast game with a dramatic storyline but no progress or evolution. Yes, it mimics starcraft in many ways, No its not deeper or better in any way besides graphical enhancements. There are a few good features - the transportation system is intuitive, the tech tree of course is an interesting idea What we see here is an evoluton of the standart RTS engine cash cow, a stereotype cliche typecast game with a dramatic storyline but no progress or evolution. Yes, it mimics starcraft in many ways, No its not deeper or better in any way besides graphical enhancements. There are a few good features - the transportation system is intuitive, the tech tree of course is an interesting idea that simply has very little depth besides the old Rock Paper Scissors system. The tech tree also happens to be very small, very limited unit selection. After seeing games like Supreme Commander and (What I can see as an acurate assumption) Spore, this kind of game is very boring to the more than average user. If your looking for ingenuity so far as gameplay and innovative tactics, look elsewhere. Expand
  36. joestevens
    Mar 29, 2008
    terrible generic rts , 3 points are for scifi units an hacking to upload viruses the only half decent fresh idea in the game

ithas no soul , broken multiplayer an a total bore of a campaign
    they pretty much sealed the fate of this game by using the windows live gold multiplayer another flop for sega dont waste your money
  37. MarkM
    Dec 18, 2007
    This is no popularity review. I don't believe this is purely just another of the same old RTS. Come on, you must be totally missing the point of new ideas and features Mr. Orange. This takes ideas, of course from previous RTS, but most sci fi rts of the past are FAILED OR PARTLY FAILED CRAP, and I think this is the game to finally do it right, and also something for STARCRAFT fans. ItThis is no popularity review. I don't believe this is purely just another of the same old RTS. Come on, you must be totally missing the point of new ideas and features Mr. Orange. This takes ideas, of course from previous RTS, but most sci fi rts of the past are FAILED OR PARTLY FAILED CRAP, and I think this is the game to finally do it right, and also something for STARCRAFT fans. It has all the wonderful bells and wistles of awesome robo-techno tracks, amazing robotic-massacre-violence, large scale units, and advanced physics. But, I wouldn't say because of that, the game seems rushed, because it doesnt seem rushed. The gameplay feels like STARCRAFT, and other like it, but more advanced, and a little different. I TAKE THAT AS A GOOD THING, REALLY :). You don't have to like it Mr. Orange, but I'm just saying.... Expand
  38. Jul 18, 2011
    Where is the story ? Is that a scenario ? The game is finished in one day - the movie is poor and character stuck - but well the badest thing is the story ... so quick ! Too bad - but this game become fastly boring with time.
  39. JWC.
    Jan 3, 2008
    Many annoyances with the UI and menu system. No easy way to pause the game that I could find. No way to change the game speed that I could find. The menu system is sluggish and buggy. The game loads slowly, there's a solid 10s delay before the game shows that it's launching (by showing all the little logo cutscenes, Sega, NVidia etc). The units and story are interesting but the Many annoyances with the UI and menu system. No easy way to pause the game that I could find. No way to change the game speed that I could find. The menu system is sluggish and buggy. The game loads slowly, there's a solid 10s delay before the game shows that it's launching (by showing all the little logo cutscenes, Sega, NVidia etc). The units and story are interesting but the gameplay isn't all that fun. Superior to most RTSs out there but inferior to something like C&C Generals. Expand
  40. FrederikM
    May 11, 2009
    I play lots of strategy games, And I give this one a 9. And I was surprised that this one was better than RA 3 I played RA 2 for 4 years, and it´s still one of the best. So I give this a thumb up.
  41. Mr.Blue
    Dec 13, 2007
    Single Player is fun, but multiplayer is where this game truly shines. Absolutely fantastic. Even the StarCraft fanboys should be impressed.
  42. Shawn
    Dec 30, 2007
    I played many RTS Starcraft,warcraft,total annihilationfrom cave dog. ex. Universe at war showed potential in a slightly diffrent RTS style game. Single player campian was thumbs down when it came to strategy becouse it showed no real involvment in using diffrent units. Use the largest unit built it many times and crush your foes. This is the basic mindset this game has shown me. As for I played many RTS Starcraft,warcraft,total annihilationfrom cave dog. ex. Universe at war showed potential in a slightly diffrent RTS style game. Single player campian was thumbs down when it came to strategy becouse it showed no real involvment in using diffrent units. Use the largest unit built it many times and crush your foes. This is the basic mindset this game has shown me. As for grafic's this game has done well in a few things but it can be comonly found to be similar to command and conquer and being a supreme commander vet I was unimpressed by how it tried to make it look like there was alot happening but only end up showing a single super unit marching along to your base as you throw as many smaller units as posible to stop it. I give this game a 6 for a decent effort in a new line of RTS games. Expand
  43. JohnC.
    Jan 12, 2008
    For once an RTS that doesn't have mirrored factions with new skins. Game-play is solid and graphics are well done. It is also cool to see the giant walkers stomp over all types of terrain. In most RTS games the terrain is flat with impassable areas. The terrain in UAW has many different levels that allows the walkers unique opportunities for attacking fortified bases. Also, the game For once an RTS that doesn't have mirrored factions with new skins. Game-play is solid and graphics are well done. It is also cool to see the giant walkers stomp over all types of terrain. In most RTS games the terrain is flat with impassable areas. The terrain in UAW has many different levels that allows the walkers unique opportunities for attacking fortified bases. Also, the game runs fast on an windows XP system, so I'm happy. BTW, I love the achievement system, I can't stop playing, must have them all. My only gripe with UAW would be some minor unit pathing issues. Compared to games like C&C 3, these issues are hardly noticeable. Expand
  44. ChrisK.
    Jan 20, 2008
    It was a fairly good game -- though I ran into a few glitches that necessitated restarting levels (or the game). The third campaign felt like a complete cop-out, and level loading took absurdly long (and the game hiccuped even as levels started up). As reviews said, it is not a bad RTS by any means. However, it was very unsatisfying, and didn't leave me anywhere near as entertained It was a fairly good game -- though I ran into a few glitches that necessitated restarting levels (or the game). The third campaign felt like a complete cop-out, and level loading took absurdly long (and the game hiccuped even as levels started up). As reviews said, it is not a bad RTS by any means. However, it was very unsatisfying, and didn't leave me anywhere near as entertained as C&C3 or WC3. Expand
  45. Blight
    Dec 15, 2007
    Universe at war has some of the best RTS game-play in years. After finishing the game and playing online, I was truly amazed at how balanced the game really is. You don't find that in games like Supreme Commander and C&C 3 (9 patches later), which have really shallow and generic unit designs and symetry across the factions. Kudos to the people that made this, UAW will be my game of Universe at war has some of the best RTS game-play in years. After finishing the game and playing online, I was truly amazed at how balanced the game really is. You don't find that in games like Supreme Commander and C&C 3 (9 patches later), which have really shallow and generic unit designs and symetry across the factions. Kudos to the people that made this, UAW will be my game of choice until Starcraft 2. Expand
  46. Doomtrooper
    Dec 17, 2007
    This game has the most unique and diverse factions I've ever seen. It's too bad the campaign doesn't do them justice.
  47. Wardealer
    Dec 28, 2007
    Having only played the Age series of RTS games I didn't think I would enjoy UAW, but I was open to trying something new. I must say crushing cities with the huge walkers is a blast, being able to easily add new weapons, armor or build units out of them is such a different way to play. Let's just say after a few skirmish games I went out and bought another copy for my son so that Having only played the Age series of RTS games I didn't think I would enjoy UAW, but I was open to trying something new. I must say crushing cities with the huge walkers is a blast, being able to easily add new weapons, armor or build units out of them is such a different way to play. Let's just say after a few skirmish games I went out and bought another copy for my son so that we can play over a LAN against the AI. Our only complaint is that we would love to have more cities to crush with our giant walkers. Also, those Achievements are so darn addicting to get, now I know why my son is always trying to get more. I highly recommend UAW. Expand
  48. PeteC.
    Dec 4, 2007
    I predict, after reading the strategy guide, campaingn walkerthroughs, and beta input that this game will be great for the RTS community. It desparetly needs a game like this one. the diversity of factions and "tactical dynamics" will be alot of great online gameplay. this doesnt seem to be the starcraft strategy of "mass all of one type of unit' (zerglings are an example). Hope the I predict, after reading the strategy guide, campaingn walkerthroughs, and beta input that this game will be great for the RTS community. It desparetly needs a game like this one. the diversity of factions and "tactical dynamics" will be alot of great online gameplay. this doesnt seem to be the starcraft strategy of "mass all of one type of unit' (zerglings are an example). Hope the game will be as fun as i foresee it. Expand
  49. SteveB.
    Jan 13, 2008
    The game is great, you can tell that it indeed has quality. The feel is almost as if I was playing the first command and conquer for the first time.
  50. DavidG.
    Feb 11, 2008
    Even if the game has good graphical features and a smooth gameplay, I don't enjoy playing it. The story and characters lack of creativity, the fighting is just horrible and the voices are terrible. It's not the worst out there, neither the best So I give it a 6.
  51. ZachR.
    Apr 14, 2008
    I have to say I'm pretty disappointed with this game right from the start. Visually it is very disappointing, especially considering the $50 price tag. The graphics look like something from 5-10 years ago. It's a poor man's C&C.
  52. CraneC
    Sep 27, 2009
    UAW is a fun game for the first few matches. You have three races, but no real reason for havng all three of them. The game has lots of research and heroes and odd things, but they are completely unnecessary to win. I as playing a friend from South America over the internet (surprisingly little lag) and I easily beat him 3 times in a row without researching anything, building any heroes, UAW is a fun game for the first few matches. You have three races, but no real reason for havng all three of them. The game has lots of research and heroes and odd things, but they are completely unnecessary to win. I as playing a friend from South America over the internet (surprisingly little lag) and I easily beat him 3 times in a row without researching anything, building any heroes, or anything of the sort. The battles can take forever, as if your CP is getting destroyed, all you hav to do is send a single builder person to build another CP somewhere else. The CPs barely cost any resources and build quickly, so you could build them all across the battlefield in random placs and your opponent would have trouble finding you. The game is extremely buggy and crashes all of the time. And windows live is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Expand
  53. Kyle
    Dec 12, 2007
    I actually was skeptical about buying this game, though when I played it, it was worth every penny. Tons of features and options not yet seen before in an RTS with great graphics. An RTS lover's must buy.
  54. JonL.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Gameplay is utterly amazing. Best RTS game in a LONG LONG time. Singleplayer is fairly standard. Interesting story, a bit campy. Multiplayer interface is aweful. Windows Live is basically featureless, and you have to pay for the necessary stuff like quickmatch system and ladder. Overall, it's a FANTASTIC game hampered by Microsoft. Go figure.
  55. DK
    Dec 26, 2007
    Very Good RTS, good single player, great multiplayer, good story, better than I hoped.
  56. AnonymousMC
    Dec 27, 2007
    The demo is quite limp. If it is indicative of the full version, Universe at War brings nothing new and cheeses up the old to the point that I momentarily questioned whether or not aliens are actually cool. This game is to other RTSs what Teen Titans is to the Justice League.
  57. NathanS.
    Dec 31, 2007
    UAW is indeed a very fun RTS both online and offline. I felt the campaign was very solid and engaging. I also found the hot key system and keyboard remapping to be very intuitive and easy to use. I'm surprised reviewers missed the fact the game has a majority of the basic features (waypoints, patrol, guard) other RTS games do, but instead of being on the UI, the went ahead and made UAW is indeed a very fun RTS both online and offline. I felt the campaign was very solid and engaging. I also found the hot key system and keyboard remapping to be very intuitive and easy to use. I'm surprised reviewers missed the fact the game has a majority of the basic features (waypoints, patrol, guard) other RTS games do, but instead of being on the UI, the went ahead and made them hot keys. This was nice as it streamlined the interface and gave the player more visible area on the battlefield. My top complaints would be walker responsivness could be better, the game could benefit from a structure queue system, and the replay viewer needs a GUI interface. Features that are easily addressed in a patch or two. UAW is a great game and buy for anyone who likes RTS games. Also, for a game that has three unique factions, the balance is the best I've seen an a RTS of this magnitude. Expand
  58. Mr.Orange
    Dec 4, 2007
    Pretty much the same crap we've been playing since C&C in 1995. Brings absolutely nothing new the to the RTS genre.
    Jan 15, 2008
    Has innovative ideas, but poor controls and buggy unit performance (fail to select targets if not directly ordered, etc) game feels incomplete. Don't ship until it's done for MY convenience!
  60. AttilaB
    May 13, 2009
    Boring and lame sums it up. Yeh the walkers and some graphics are cool but everything else including balancing/gameplay, tutorials, story, multiplayer, units all suck, big time. What a letdown. The creative director should get his you know what cut off on this project. Why did I just pay $5 for this on steam? I guess its because its worth about $5 or maybe less.
  61. Meestyk
    Nov 19, 2007
    As is I get the impression it will be more fustration than enjoyment from this game. Tried the demo and I must say nice graphics, interface, and a good story, but it has its flaws and it shows. For one, you'll notice right away with the units mechanics; they tend to get stuck trying to move out of the way to get to where they are ordered to go by you, much fustration and waste ofAs is I get the impression it will be more fustration than enjoyment from this game. Tried the demo and I must say nice graphics, interface, and a good story, but it has its flaws and it shows. For one, you'll notice right away with the units mechanics; they tend to get stuck trying to move out of the way to get to where they are ordered to go by you, much fustration and waste of time. Number two, you'll notice some of the lines used in voice acting, it sounds like a retarded kid wrote those lines from a comic gone bad. My prediction is a rushed game to make a return without any considerations for the gamers demands. My advice is to wait until the game makers give you a good patch to fix its many flaws. Some similar games out there are more enjoyable than this guy at the moment. Some of you may like it due to the fact you've perhaps never played such game, but for the hardcore gamers like me, save for better future games that meet or surpass your expectations. Expand
  62. Splug
    Dec 13, 2007
    Honestly, I was really looking forward to this game. Usually, RTS games can keep me engaged from the get go. The style, the graphics, it all seemed like it could be awesome.

However, after 25 minutes of playing it, I've almost completely lost interest in it. I plan on playing it through (50 bucks is still 50 bucks), I just plan on playing it for uh 15-20 minutes at a time, maybe a couple times a week....
  63. ErraticCommunist
    Dec 25, 2007
    A good, solid RTS, like everyone expected. Not exactly a revolution in the genre, but compared to Empire at War, Petroglyph has outdone themselves. There are three truly unique and different factions, each with innovative elements that have never been seen before. Shiny graphics that don't torture my outdated PC too much. Absolutely fantastic soundtrack (Frank Klepacki is god). And I A good, solid RTS, like everyone expected. Not exactly a revolution in the genre, but compared to Empire at War, Petroglyph has outdone themselves. There are three truly unique and different factions, each with innovative elements that have never been seen before. Shiny graphics that don't torture my outdated PC too much. Absolutely fantastic soundtrack (Frank Klepacki is god). And I think I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the singleplayer, too. In my opinion, it was much more interesting than those of any comparable RTS and kept me playing till 4 AM, something that rarely happens with me. So even without multiplayer, which I sadly cannot enjoy for now, UaW was a sure cure for my boredom. Though there are some annoying moments in the game, to this moment I enjoy UaW as much, if not more than C&C3 and Supreme Commander. Bravo. Westwood lives in death! Expand
  64. Aug 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like playing supreme commander 2 , dawn of war 2,supreme commander forged alliance and about all rts games. Universe at war earth assault is one of my favorite and if you like games that have good graphics ,very different factions and many-scale units ,like supreme commander (2 and the older one), universe at war is the game you will love Expand
  65. Jul 26, 2013
    Aliens invade Earth, only seen that one done two or three times before... Saddly, I really do enjoy this game but find it hard to do it justice on paper, some units have trouble path finding, unit cloaking can be unreliable, and the air units are over powered as hell! But, I still love this game somehow.. The plot battles are generally fun with special missions more difficult andAliens invade Earth, only seen that one done two or three times before... Saddly, I really do enjoy this game but find it hard to do it justice on paper, some units have trouble path finding, unit cloaking can be unreliable, and the air units are over powered as hell! But, I still love this game somehow.. The plot battles are generally fun with special missions more difficult and challenging then the skirmishes, but I really only ever do play this game for the skirmishes. This game's strength is in it's ability to allow the player to pick a map, team, enemy, and allies at will, and just, press, go. Never experienced any bugs that couldn't be fixed by just recommanding a unit to do an action it got caught up on. Expand
  66. Oct 13, 2011

1. Universe at War is a good title, but it isn't without it's flaws. As-is, though, Universe at War is a comfortable ride. [Dec 2007, p.64]
    Sophistication's not UAW's strong suit: It flaunts its influences on its sleeve and thrives on its absurd outlandishness -- an exploitation RTS, suitable for midnight screenings.
  3. RTS fans would do well to investigate Universe at War. [Dec 2007, p.96]