8.0

1. Dec 28, 2010
    Okay, first off, i do not think that you should compare this game to UT2004. I have played UT 2004 for a long while, but i feel like Unreal Tournament 3 is different. Yes, They did remove gamemodes and weapons, however, it started to specialize in it's gamemodes. Just look at the wide arrange of warfare maps. They all work and play differently, surprising you every time when you first play it in campaign mode. The game got I hoverboard now; I didn't like it the first time I heard about it, but now I actually play the game, I really liked it. Compared to UT2004, i guess i can say that there isn't walking huge distances without vehicles anymore, which keeps the game very swift and quick. I was amazed how different the maps are from each other even though they are in the same game mode. Every map needs a total new strategy. This makes it a very original and good game. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2012
    Its the best game I've ever played in my lifetime. 1000s of hours gameplay, and it never get boring. Its incredible much better than UT2004, UT2003 and UT99. Very nice graphic, hundrets of hidden tricks and specials, idiotic dodge-jump removed, warfare game mode introduced with orb. Seriously: Its the best game you can get for your bucks.
  3. Oct 13, 2010
    This was really a bummer. Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004 had really good single player and multiplayer content. Epic games dropped the pooch this time around. The single player campaign was awful. They tried to put a storyline to a tournament style game and take away the tournament and just make it a war with respawners. Whoever thought of that should have been axed. The guns felt difficult to kill with. Their earlier games made it so easy to kill someone, this game took a ton of bullets and the guns just didn't have the same feel. The game speed didn't feel right, you move really fast and you shoot really slow. The system requirements were too extreme for the time it was released, and the game engine did not scale like their UE2 or the original engine did.

The game did have some good parts. I really liked the hoverboards and graphics, once I got everything working right. Having co-op for the campaign is also a plus, although I never played it through with other peeps. The Unreal Tournament series has the coolest vehicles to use. What I was hoping for was more of the Assault mode, which somehow got scratched. This game is just not Unreal Tournament worthy.
  4. Dec 17, 2012
    A major letdown after the previous "Tournament" games because of removed multiplayer modes and a "storyline"-based single player campaign. Feels like a consolified, dumbed down tech demo for the Unreal 3 engine. Not worth playing when UT2k3 & 2k4 are both superior, cheaper, and still have players.
  5. Jun 11, 2011
    This game installed an AMD K8 driver in my PC, the driver downclocked my CPU's multiplier from 9x to 5x, so my PC's CPU ended up with a real CPU clock of only 950Mhz (it's an AMD Sempron). I needed to use System Restore to remove the damn drivers to fix the CPU problem! I ain't going to install this game in the AMD PC ever again. But I could get this game to work all fine in my other PC with an Intel CPU. No leaning left/right, can crouch but no prone. Nothing much new from UT2004 may be? Except the graphics and models looked more nicer. The bots are running very very fast and I hates it when they're doing it real close up like a fast forward video at play! So without a fast rig you ain't going to enjoy this game. I don't like the old familiar weapons, so much alike to the Halo game's projectiles, well most of them are based from UT2004! No remote bombs or mines like the ones from the other game F.E.A.R. or flashbangs and smoke grenades from Rainbow Six Vegas 2. When they name the difficulty levels, they better name them as difficulty level 1 to 9, please do not utter words such as ExperienceD. Collapse
  6. Jun 12, 2011
    Lack of mini zoom view at all the times. Need at least a 17 inch monitor or even bigger, as the bots are too small to shoot at from a far fart away distance, but they has no problems shooting at me from that distance without using a sniper scope? Hate to drive those vehicles, so bored of them, look and feel so toy like, yes it's rated R16+ too perfect for that! Hot fast action shooter, I love it! But there's nothing more to it, I might go back playing UT2004 instead of getting used to the newer gun models & much more faster running speeds (much harder to kill bots). Buy this game if you want more new maps to play on. Some maps now has the brighter (bloom) and darker shaded spots here and there all in a small area, or almost everywhere with those super bump mappings and post filterings of sun-glowing foggings (I feel sea sick already), I could barely taget the super fast running bots with all those effects on. Some game settings does not stick after quiting the game to Windows' desktop, needed to set and change them on every start of the game (is this a free demo game?). It also nags me to login online on on every start of the game, can't they just give the option of loading the game into the offline game menu each time? This game told me that my AMD Sempron 3100+ does not met the minimum CPU requirement, why can't they just shut up and ask me if it's been overclocked from 1.8Ghz to 2.16Ghz? And it's performance is at least as good as a 2.8Ghz Pentium IV on all the games released from year 2005 to 2009 even if the CPU isn't overclocked. How many games installs a CPU driver for you without asking you first? Or not asking you if you're happy with your CPU clock or not after getting the new driver installed? Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2011
    I'm disappointed the co-op mode is glitched. It doesn't work out of the box and I've only had mixed success trying the countless available "fixes". I'm able to overlook it because multiplayer is fun and thankfully always works--it's got that classic old school shooter appeal without the lame leveling you see in newer games today that give players an unfair advantage because they have played more hours and are given better perks than you. It still has a decent community of players making it easy finding a game. Expand
  8. Sep 7, 2011
    In comparison with it's predecessor, Unreal Tournament 2004, Unreal Tournament III is extremely disappointing. Yes, it's visually stunning, but removing most of the greatest game-play features from 2004 was like putting a bolt in a calf's brain. Where is Assault, Bombing Run, and Double Domination? Those were staples of the last iteration. Playing this game makes me sad.
  9. Nov 10, 2011
    This game deserves more than some points, epic lads they raised the game to the highest level and I thank them for it .... enjoying this game together with friends .... nice game
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    I played UT99/2004 to death, then took a few years break from the series. I've started playing UT3 only recently, some 4 years after the game was released and I'd be lying if I say I don't have a blast with it. This is just the UT I've wanted, UT2004 gameplay/vehicle in UT99 speed (UT2004 is slightly faster paced than UT99); with all upgraded graphic glory and such. Granted that it looks quite dated in 2011, but still a huge improvement compared to UT2004. It runs fantastically on modern hardware (I'm using HD5770 + Phenom II x4 3.4ghz - a mid-range machine at best today), maxed out at 60fps all the time, with all settings cranked to highest. Shame that it doesn't support AA thou.

Gone is the vibrant, colorful graphics of UT99/2004. UT3 is dark and gory, it looks a bit too similar to Gears of War, but frankly I don't have problem with that. It'd be a lot more boring if it looks too UT2004. My only complain with the game is its bot AI. For some reasons, the AI is noticeably worse than UT99/2004. They get stuck frequently; they are silly, sometimes downright clueless in vehicular combat. Vehicular bot AI in UT2004 isn't stellar, but UT3's is worse.
  11. Dec 22, 2011
    Really not all to good at all. I had heard great things about the Unreal series and thought that this game would be a fun online shooter. I was sadly disappointed. The tiny player base is testimony to how poor this game is. Good luck ever finding a match.
  12. Nov 8, 2012
    The best multiplayer shooter I've ever played. Its the culminatation of the Unreal series. I could write a lot of words here, but let me just say one thing: You will love it! And dont forget: There is a free Addon "black edition" with the Titan-pack and new maps and 2 new game modes, all for free. This makes the game really special.
  13. Feb 25, 2013
    For me, this is my 10/10 for gaming, I originally bought this for Xbox360 and played it religiously for months, the Vehicles are so unique and so interesting to play with as well as all the characters and the weapons, the campaign is a little ropey and repetitive but in honesty this game was designed primarily for its multiplayer, and nothing else, and i love it, i would recommend this shooter to anyone and cannot honestly give this game a bad word Expand
  14. Oct 3, 2010
    The new additions since ut 2004 are good like necris vehicles but now the gameplay is much more boring and i feel that ut 2004 was better.The graphics and weapons are better but the gameplay fun just died.
  15. Aug 30, 2011
    Fun as hell. Extremely fast paced and becomes increasingly difficult. Have yet to try out the campaign, but simple bot matches give a consistent pulse of unpredictability and momentum.
  16. Jun 24, 2011
    Online shooter thingy with ludicrously over-the-top gothic visuals. Blatantly doing double duty as a graphics engine demo, UT3 is still a LAN party staple for me. The deathmatch experience isn't as good as the old Quake 3; it shines in co-operative play in Warfare or Capture-the-Flag mode against a large band of bots, shouting orders across the room to co-ordinate!
  17. Jul 1, 2011
    This is far better than Quake 3 Arena! You don't want to compare the graphics and models of this game's to UT2004, 'cos UT2004 looked really outdated now. After a week's play (I rarely tried UT games) I already have beaten the difficulty MASTERFUL most of the time in the deathmatch game mode (my 1st place of 60 frags to a bot's 2nd place of 51 frags). I would be INHUMAN in less than 2 weeks experience. Note that by most of the time the bots would choose to shoot at you first even though you're more farther away for targeting, as you're priority target number one, so imagine with all those bots' guns firing at you all at once ... that's great fun for me (only if you don't scream in rage because you feel like the bots has cheated and are gang banging you). Oh BTW only get this game if it comes with UT2004 for free! Expand
  18. Oct 12, 2011
    You get a complete package- there's no doubt about that. Whether you want a large battlefield or small arenas, this game can offer you that. There's lots of weapons, a few vehicles and fast-paced arena gameplay, with a platoon of game settings you can tweak, including the speed. There's many difficulties for the bots, and settings you can adjust for them. But really, once you get past all of this there's nothing that exciting about it. The campaign doesn't feel like one because of the arena-based gameplay. The gameplay is the most simple you can possibly get. No reloading, no recoil. Just move and shoot. The maps on it aren't greatly varied either. There's better shooters out there than this. Expand
  19. Dec 11, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, this is a good game, but it failed to bring what unreal tournament 2004 did to us. I didn't enjoy the game modes and the guns are exactly the same, as well as exact same mechanics. It is still a good and fun game, but get Unreal Tournament 2004 instead
  20. Jul 20, 2013
    What a great game !
    Actually and good grafk !
    Awesome Multiplayer.
    this Game is an must have on every LAN Party

The only bad point are the patches. Its a littlebit confusing.

BUT !

You Can activate UnrealTournamen 3 via Steam And you get the Black Edition No patching needed
  21. Jun 21, 2013
    A disappointment in comparison to UT2K4, this game offers fantastic visuals and the classic UT gameplay, but with a lacking number of maps. Currently, I'd say this is one of the best multiplayer shooter of the generation on PC, and the last good, stupidly fun, arena FPS. Amen.
    Be wary though, Gamespy Arcade isn't too nice here and the recent Steam integration causes occasional problems
    between Steam and Gamespy Arcade. Expand
  22. Dec 22, 2011
    unsure how to rate this one, the graphics are a definite plus, and the game just shines with quality and polish, i found not only the visuals, but the sound and altogether feel of the game to be very nice, and imo an IMPROVEMENT over older ut titles, i mean let's face it, games change with time, ut franchise is no different!

however in agreement with many others, the campaign is awful!
    also i would like to call this ut the most difficult ut game so far, but i'm unsure, it seems to be very unbalanced difficulty levels really... skilled is like impossible and then inhuman is actually easier (or so i found it to be!).

not to mention the game ups it's difficulty GREATLY in campaign mode for some reason.... skilled in campaign is like godlike in instant action o.0

but on the whole i think this game is excellent, and i am not just some modern graphics whore that never played ut games before, i grew up with them myself, and i actually like the direction they took in this game... apart from the bizarre fluctuating difficulty curve and the silly campaign story
  23. Feb 21, 2012
    I can understand the frustration a lot of players have with this game. UT99 more or less raised me, I was 5 or 6 when it came out, and I play it from about 1999 to 2004 regularly before moving away from PC gaming for a while. On the positive side, this game looks gorgeous, has a wide selection of maps, and most important, it FEELS like Unreal Tournament. The weapons might look different, but they feel just like improved versions of the ones I love. The main negative for me is that this game does not LOOK like an Unreal Tournament game. It might be beautiful, but both the aesthetics and the colors just don't look like they used to. Frankly, the reason I'm just now getting around to playing this game is because it looks like a mash-up of the GoW series and UT, which scared me. I was afraid it would play like Gears too. Fortunately, it still boasts the fast, skill-oriented gameplay for which the series is famous. If franchise-fans can get past the new looks of the game, they'll find a solid addition to the series. At this point, I can't speak for how newcomers will feel about the game, I simply can't separate myself from the series. Expand
  24. Apr 22, 2012
    Unreal is Unreal, nothing else to say, get in and frag them all, giants maps, a lot of devastating weapons and vehicles, many power ups and user made maps keep this game alive and kicking with a nice community of players.
  25. May 20, 2012
    I love-loved Unreal-Unreal 2-Unreal Tournament-Unreal Tournament 2004 and I hated this "Unreal Tournament III" I must say that I am a fan of unreal engine, engine is so beautiful and can work on low spec pcs and compatibility with windows xp and windows 7 is godlike, what I did not like in "Unreal Tournament III" is I could not see anything and I am not talking about engine I am talking about design, colors, blurs, like all put in a blender I could not bear my self and torture my eyes with this game I played it for 1 hour and deleted it Fun - 0/10
    Gameplay - 0/10
    Music - 7/10
    Replayability - 0/10
    Graphics for its time - 10/10
  26. Dec 20, 2012
    Good game for FPS players. Bad game for Unreal Tournament fans. This isn't a "real" UT, it is definetly a Gears of War FPS. Same concept, world design with Geow.
  27. Mar 16, 2014
    Well this game is way worse than UT 2004 in many ways, but it is still good fun with excellent weapons, vehicles and funny mods. I am not a big fan of single payer campaign, they shoud add same single player like in UT 2004 with more detailed team management. Still a very good game with great gun play and awesome maps.
  28. Apr 18, 2013
    Unreal Tournament 3 brings back the UT99 playstyle and puts the '03 and '04 one back in its place. The game is gorgeous, the gameplay is fast and the cutscenes are well made. I think it lacks a bit on the competitive side of multiplayer when compared to UT 2004, but otherwise UT3 is a great addition to the series.
  29. Jun 28, 2013
    A train wreck of a game and basically dead on release.

Based on the incredibly good UT99 and 2004 games, I, like others, bought this on "day one". Within a couple hours of playing realized I'd been had in the worst way: a console controller had been jammed firmly up my crack.

It exemplified the "lazy console port" trend which was popular at the time (and is thankfully finally
    starting to recede). Capped framerates, dumb-downed menus, wildly inconsistent performance, missing multiplayer modes, and one of the worst multiplayer connect menus ever. I remember a week into this game's launch there were one or two players per server basically server admins playing bots hoping someone would join.

In the face of the avalanche of performance issues, EPIC's response was basically to blame PC gaming. What an incredibly stupid move.

Eventually these issues were addressed and by the Titan patch it was finally worth playing. Still, without a critical mass of players there was no online community. No players no game.

The colossal failure of Unreal Tournament 3 should be required reading for game developers and distributors.
  30. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

31. Jun 20, 2014
    Unreal Tournament III. Before I begin my review of this game, I'd just like to say that I will be critiquing this game based on its presentation rather than its story. This is because the story missions are basically the same as the multiplayer missions, and the story is also terrible, so if you're getting this game for the story, don't bother. Because Unreal Tournament 4 is in development, and I've played every game in the series, I decided to review the latest one for you based on multiplayer only, because as I said, the story missions are literally the exact same levels you could already find in multiplayer. The story is just there to add immersion, and don't worry, you can still play this game with bots. So anyway, is the multiplayer of this game the thrilling and fun experience you would expect from this series, or should you keep playing UT2004 instead? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game is insanely fun! After all, it is a multiplayer shooter with several game modes. It has all three of the game modes that you have come to expect from shooters. It has deathmatch (just keep killing everyone, and in the end, the person with the highest score wins), team deathmatch (the same thing, but with teams fighting for points instead of a free-for-all), and capture the flag (capture the enemy flag while defending your own). While these modes have appeared in several other shooters before, including the previous games in the series, that doesn't stop them from still being insanely fun to play. Plus, it has no kill streak rewards like Call of Duty, it is just classic versions of all of these modes, and I'm happy with that. This game also has original modes. There is warfare, in which two teams must compete for control points. Once a team has enough points, they can attack the enemy prime node. The team that manages to destroy the other team's node first wins. There is also betrayal, which is basically deathmatch but with a twist: you have rifles that can kill anything in just one hit. You also have to temporarily work with a partner that you can betray at any time in order to get bonus points. The player with the most points in the end wins. Finally, there is greed, which is basically a mode where you have to get kills, and collect the skulls the kills drop for capture at the enemy base for points. Just the first three modes alone would probably have been enough to make this game fun, but with these other modes, the game becomes even better. The game is also very fast-paced, making it even more fun to play. It plays a lot like any other old shooter game from the 90s like Doom or Quake, but considering that there aren't many of those shooters out there these days, that's actually a very good thing. Overall, the gameplay of this game is about is fun as a video game can get. As for the graphics, while they aren't the best graphics I've ever seen in a video game, I will still say that they are fantastic. This game manages to use the Unreal Engine to its full potential in the graphics department. The game's environments all look very beautiful, and the character models also look stunning. As a matter of fact, I once thought that I would never play an Unreal Engine game that looked better than this, but then I played Mass Effect 2, which also managed to astound me in every possible way it could with how amazing the game was. There are also games on the CryEngine that look better, but I will admit, Unreal's graphics are pushed to the limit with this game. Overall, the graphics are also quite good in this game. As for the presentation, it is also great, but not quite as good as the gameplay and graphics. There are a few problems with the settings, such as making it impossible to get rid of certain bot types once you add them, but otherwise it is still great. The menus work properly, and the game even allows you to create your own character, that you cannot see until after a match ends, or your friends see it. Still though, it is nice that they have this feature. Overall, this presentation is great, but not as amazing as it could be. Overall, all I can say is this: don't buy this game if you are looking for a good story! Buy it for everything but the story! The story of this game is crap, but everything else is amazing! I can easily recommend this game to anyone who wants to play a good multiplayer shooter, wants a throwback to the 90s with a modern twist, or just wants to play an insanely fun game. Just not for people who love stories in games.
    Gameplay: 10/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Presentation: 8/10
    Overall: 9/10
  32. Mar 5, 2014
    Unreal Tournament III is the best part of series. A plot was never strong part of the game, but it isn't the most important thing. Thanks to the induction new graphic engine named Unreal Engine 3, the game looks unbelievably. Sounds and sounds effects are similar to prequel, but they have become legendary. Now, they are borrowing in other games. Weapons have larger damages, so thanks to this, in both singleplayer and multiplayer are furiously fast gameplay. Artificial Intelligence is excellent. I extremely recommend this epic game!! Expand
  33. Jun 11, 2011

1. The game's A-ticket attractions are the massive, ornate battlegrounds where opponents compete in objective-based clashes. Gorgeous alien landscapes play host to massive turf battles between factions vying for power nodes. These mêlées come stocked with a mind-boggling variety of weapons and vehicles, greatly reducing the rinse, lather, repeat burnout that comes in online shooters with less to do and smaller places to do it.
  2. Drop into servers, start killing people, it's so natural to habitual gamers these days that it's hard to quantify how familiar and welcome these experiences are. With the sheer range of death-mongering that UT3 provides, it's hard not to get into the spirit of things. So yeah, Unreal Tournament pretty much remains The Daddy: consistent, meaty, and just weird enough to survive.
  3. The game excels at everything from simple deathmatching to complex objective-driven campaigns. [Dec 2007, p.154]