6.3

1. Mar 31, 2015
    velvet assassin is a game based on a real british war soldier named violette szabo changed to violette summers the ai is the worst ive seen since walking dead survival instinct sometimes they collide sometimes im in the shadows and most of the time ive been spotted and the nazis not doing anything the aiming is terrible the hit detection is garbage and the variation is diarrhea and whenvelvet assassin is a game based on a real british war soldier named violette szabo changed to violette summers the ai is the worst ive seen since walking dead survival instinct sometimes they collide sometimes im in the shadows and most of the time ive been spotted and the nazis not doing anything the aiming is terrible the hit detection is garbage and the variation is diarrhea and when you have ran out of ammo you are dead cause the nazis have futuristic auto aiming and you have a butterstick. oh and the loading screens are bad most of the loading screens last 5 MINUTES!!!!. now there are good things to sayy about velvet assassin the graphics music and voice acting are pretty good. oh and you can set people on fire.THIS IS A STEALTH GAME BY THE WAY.now if i was a female british soldier in a STEALTH GAME do you think id go around oil pools setting nazis ON FIIIIRE!!!!! NOT TO MENTION THIS GAME IS REPETITIVE theres usually only one path to take.beacause of all thisvelvet assassin gets a.
  2. Jan 27, 2015
    Poor clone of other games with horrible map design and bad interaction, Camera Angles were horrible.
    apparently they feel they can sell crap to everyone.
  3. Feb 19, 2014
    Good idea for a game but the result is bland and repetitive.
    Deleted the game after 2 hours despite the fact that I LOVE STEALTH GAMES. I can't even remember what the story was all about. You can give it a shot but I think I'd rather play NOLF instead.
  4. Feb 1, 2014
    A nice third-person stealth game based on a real life British-Hungarian WWII assassin. The atmosphere of the game is what probably stands out most. The level design is unfortunately very linear and the gameplay overall is 'okay'. The protagonist is appealing, in that she's a 'she'! Recommended for WWII / historically theme game fans.
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    Velvet assassin is a third person stealth game, set in the ww2 era. You play as violette summer, who happens to be in a coma. She dreams about her past missions, all of which you get to play through as her. The game is no splinter cell, and it shouldn’t be approached as one.

There wasn’t anything particularly interesting in this game. The visuals were crisp but bland and they didn’t fit with the setting. The story was not interesting at all and because of that, you’ll likely not remember anything about it. The gameplay itself doesn’t really save this game either. It’s incredibly basic and often times repetitive.

While this review isn’t comprehensive of the entire game, there isn’t much to say. The gameplay is boring, the visuals and story lack any depth and are uninteresting. The length of the game is fairly short, which is actually a good thing. I wanted to be finished with this game as quickly as possible. I wish I would have saved that money and gotten something else, but for $1.24 it was tempting. This is a average game, so expect a average experience.
  6. Mar 27, 2013
    There is a reason this game is on sale ALOT!

It is one of the worst ports I have ever seen, the graphics are so-so. They gameplay is based around a hot attractive female 'spy' there is no story. Go out and spend your money on games such as Super Meat Boy/Skyrim.. Anything but this please.
  7. Feb 25, 2013
    Makes the unforgiveable design decision of badly chosen checkpoints and no save options. Do you like listening to the same scripted conversation over and over again when you make a mistake? No, neither does anyone else. Avoid this like the plague.
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    its a very solid game. the gameplay is similar to that of metal gear solid, but just dont expect it to be the same. similar in terms of espionage and tactical uses of equipment. graphics are pretty good, but can get slow for no reason sometimes because of overuse of effects. story is about a spy agent deep inside the nazi controlled territories sabotaging things. i would also recommend theits a very solid game. the gameplay is similar to that of metal gear solid, but just dont expect it to be the same. similar in terms of espionage and tactical uses of equipment. graphics are pretty good, but can get slow for no reason sometimes because of overuse of effects. story is about a spy agent deep inside the nazi controlled territories sabotaging things. i would also recommend the game' the saboteur'. similar in some aspects but the other one is more with climbing around. overall a decent to solid game, but nothing really memorable to be honest. Expand
  9. Dec 19, 2012
    I have played this game for an hour or two and I doubt I will play it any further, logic does not seem to be the most common process that went into the development of the game and I find myself going "that does'nt make any sense!" way too often. How can this be a "stealth game" when you are less than 5 feet from your target, he is staring you dead in the face and he doesn't "see" you! II have played this game for an hour or two and I doubt I will play it any further, logic does not seem to be the most common process that went into the development of the game and I find myself going "that does'nt make any sense!" way too often. How can this be a "stealth game" when you are less than 5 feet from your target, he is staring you dead in the face and he doesn't "see" you! I bought this game after reading both the positive and negative reviews however I can find very little positive about it. Expand
  10. Dec 12, 2012
    Why the bad reviews? I really don't get it. It's a game all about sneaking and silently killing. All about being an assassin. Getting in and out without anybody ever noticing. The controls are pretty good and the character is hot. There are some bugs but never impacting the game-play. I got it at $1.25 on Steam and seriously have paid higher prices for game much worse than that.
  11. Nov 8, 2012
    This game might be a tad too linear for my liking but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. It's like the Hitman series but set during the 2nd world war. You go around killing nazis, stealing documents and just causing havoc on the enemy front. The graphics are really nice and the controls smooth and fluid. I recommend picking this up if you have some time to kill.
  12. Sep 21, 2012
    Velvet Assassin is a generally good game that is like a remake of Thief, but with guns and Nazis.

Unfortunately, the ending is bad and out of character with the story. There is a final battle where you must defeat waves of enemies, and if f you played as stealthy character, then you won't have enough health stars to finish.
  13. Jun 23, 2012
    Caveat: I'm a big fan of stealth games. So that being said this review might come across as biased. Well, Velvet Assassin is the perfect example of a great concept poorly executed. There was little to no quality control done here. So here are the pros: Atmosphere. Great ambiance with the environments. The lighting is very nice and well balanced. Voice over work is good. Music osCaveat: I'm a big fan of stealth games. So that being said this review might come across as biased. Well, Velvet Assassin is the perfect example of a great concept poorly executed. There was little to no quality control done here. So here are the pros: Atmosphere. Great ambiance with the environments. The lighting is very nice and well balanced. Voice over work is good. Music os good but can be a bit over-zealous at the wrong moments. And now for the longer list of cons: Controls. She's difficult to maneuver and she moves slowly and jerky. The walking paths are littered with junk that can't be picked up or climbed over. She only climbs select areas and when she does they're in the worst places. Weapons. There are only four total including your default knife. Attack. She stabs like she has mono and the stabbing does little to no damage. She can't reload while running. Enemies. Apparently Nazis can shoot at you but things like doors and ropes stop them. Once a Nazi searches for you they stop after awhile and go back to their original paths even with the ground being littered with dead Nazis. Video. No one bothered to test the video or even patch anything afterwards. There are checkerboard glitches throughout but not enough to truly deter anyone from continuing. No saving: only checkpoints. Truly annoying. Pathing. Truly linear. You can't explore as much as the areas reveal but there are some hidden things here and there. Conclusion: It's not a total loss but with such frustrating controls and setup and video issues it's not worth playing at a high retail price. Get it cheap and uninstall it if it pisses you off... Expand
  14. Jun 22, 2012
    This is an excellent game. The story, the sounds and the graphics is great. You be with a spy girl. In this game you need stealth, kill and this composition is great. Who love spy games, will love this game too.
  15. Jun 13, 2012
    I must admit I've waited a long time before buying this game, having read numerous negative criticism and having decided it wasn't worth trying to test it. I was wrong. This game is actually quite good. The graphics are great, and the whole art direction is coherent and at the same time very "new", using sepia tones and dark, cold atmospheres are the same time. The gameplay is... well, II must admit I've waited a long time before buying this game, having read numerous negative criticism and having decided it wasn't worth trying to test it. I was wrong. This game is actually quite good. The graphics are great, and the whole art direction is coherent and at the same time very "new", using sepia tones and dark, cold atmospheres are the same time. The gameplay is... well, I don't know. old school? Simple? Yes, it IS simple. But while the beginning of the game has a definite emphasis on stealth, the ending is much more frenetic. In short, it doesn't get boring at all. The audio is so-so. The ambiance sounds are good, although the music sometimes gets too loud and can distract the player. But then again, It may be just my opinion, since I usually don't like music in games anyway. The voice acting ranges from good to downright awful, depending on the language : german acting is good, which is expected since it was developed by a german studio. The English acting (the hero) is average. It could be a bit better sometimes, but it's still bearable. The French acting is AWFUL. The story itself is the most original and the best part of the game, in my opinion. I've played a lot of WW2-themed games, and this one definitely portrays the atrocity of war the best. The scenario isn't a generic copycat of other mainstream games I won't name (it starts with a C, end with a D, and there's a o in the middle), and it definitely works great. My only regret is, as usual, the portrayal of the main character. I can accept the oh-so-tight pants that don't look practical at all or the sexy makeup (on a WW2 spy!). Those are clichés, alright. I'm used to seeing them on female videogame characters. But playing 1/5 of the game in a nightie... come on. Seriously? Alright, she wakes up in a hospital. So obviously she doesn't have her normal suit anymore. But give her clothes at some point in the game, damn it. The violence of the ending becomes ridiculous when you realize you're playing in a NIGHTIE. Hello, half-naked hot chick killing nazis. Can you keep your serious there? No. It's absurd. And the problem is, the game is stone-cold serious the whole time. The atrocities of war, everything. This game, right here, says "man always lose wars". You can't have both a very serious story and a ridiculously clichéd sexualized character. Expand
  16. Dec 30, 2011
    Purely from the gameplay perspective this game has its merits. Sneaking, assassinating from behind, this part is well done.
    But I only played for 2 hours, then the save system made me (rage) quit this game for good. Sometimes the save points are like 20 mins away. For a sneaking game where any encounter can be deadly (if the enemy accidentally turns around before you expect him to do so), it was simply too frustrating playing the same sequences over and over only to arrive at the same difficult point.
    Don't get me wrong: In any shooter game I don't have a problem with save points. Usually you can save yourself from dying by taking cover or hiding. But in this game you can't do that. Once the bad guys detect you, it's over. This kind of game definitely needs quick saves!
    The game is quite cheap nowadays. So for me it was not so much a waste of money but a waste of my time...
  17. Dec 1, 2011
    First off this game seems to have video driver issues...at least on my system. Running dual Nvidia 8800GTX caused my computer to blue screen on 1920x1080 resolution. Was finally able to stabilize it by running 1280x720. This game is a very poor Splinter Cell clone. You will not find any of the great Splinter Cell features in this game. The weak story and cut scenes are the only things itFirst off this game seems to have video driver issues...at least on my system. Running dual Nvidia 8800GTX caused my computer to blue screen on 1920x1080 resolution. Was finally able to stabilize it by running 1280x720. This game is a very poor Splinter Cell clone. You will not find any of the great Splinter Cell features in this game. The weak story and cut scenes are the only things it has going for it and maybe the fact that it is controller enabled. Killing nazis is always fun, but there is no climbing on boxes, you can't hug walls, AI always seems to be setup in the right direction for you to sneak up and kill them removing any challenge, doors squeak, but AI is not alerted and even if you are spotted you can go back through the door and they won't follow. Extremely repetitious. I recommend avoiding this one. Expand
  18. Aug 14, 2011
    On this game, the story was good, characters were ok, stealth system was fine. But what makes me give this game a 8 is the weak intelligence of the AI. They were responding to noises when i walked over the broken glass pieces and were starting to search for Violet when they found a dead body, these were the good ones but it was not enough. For example while you were escaping from a NaziOn this game, the story was good, characters were ok, stealth system was fine. But what makes me give this game a 8 is the weak intelligence of the AI. They were responding to noises when i walked over the broken glass pieces and were starting to search for Violet when they found a dead body, these were the good ones but it was not enough. For example while you were escaping from a Nazi soldier and entered the doors that took you to previous or next rooms in the game, just because that you closed the door, the nazi soldier was could not be able to follow you. I mean you are already in a lair of German soldiers, the soldier who was trying to chase and kill you cannot proceed through the next room so you can save yourself just by changing the rooms. Expand
  19. Nov 14, 2010
    Great all around PC game, don't know why it has a low user/critic review. Seems like everyone wants a standard COD2 shooter these days. This game has good stealth and creative enemy path/actions. The silent kills are rewarding each time. The game play is slintercellesc, but with some new twists. Where its a tad repetitive, it is unique enough that I enjoy a good hour dose or so a day. IGreat all around PC game, don't know why it has a low user/critic review. Seems like everyone wants a standard COD2 shooter these days. This game has good stealth and creative enemy path/actions. The silent kills are rewarding each time. The game play is slintercellesc, but with some new twists. Where its a tad repetitive, it is unique enough that I enjoy a good hour dose or so a day. I found the shooting action fun when spotted. Sure, its a little weird you can just exit a room and peek through a keyhole and the enemies never follow you. I'm willing to cut a little slack there though, as the overall game is awesome, and this makes it beatable at a reasonable pace. I'm about 2/3 of the way through now enjoying the storyline and game play. Expand
  20. MarcusW
    Dec 10, 2009
    On buying this game out of a whim I was greeted by what initially looked like a graphically and aurally solid introduction. However, from there it seems to sink ever so much. It tries to be almost akin to both Splinter Cell and they seem to have pinched the purplish hue of the character when in shadows from Ion Storm's/Eidos Theif. The plot is fine, but the gameplay could have used a On buying this game out of a whim I was greeted by what initially looked like a graphically and aurally solid introduction. However, from there it seems to sink ever so much. It tries to be almost akin to both Splinter Cell and they seem to have pinched the purplish hue of the character when in shadows from Ion Storm's/Eidos Theif. The plot is fine, but the gameplay could have used a LOT more development. It would have been nice to have thrown a loose bottle lying around to distract the enemy, but instead whistling seems to be the order of the day - which kind of really dampens any kind of realism to the game. What surprised me most of all is that this game was developed by a German-based company, and you don't see many german manufacturer's or producers of a game of this kind. This was a refreshing change from seeing something that would usually have been something the American game names would have otherwise produced (probably to greater effect having had more experience in the field). Some slight quirks will annoy the hell out of people, like a British person's inability to say english words properly (like Quay and route, both of which appear to be pronounced using the American format - with a British character?). Aside from some of it's - at times simply infuriating - poor moments, it is graphically well presented, the script will sometimes unnerve the bejesus out of you if you have far too much imagination, and the graphics are very good indeed, as is the pleasantly realistic voice acting on the the part of the German soldiers, any German script being much better spoken by germans themselves. But the gameplay is a big downer, and needs a lot of work. If they produce a sequel to this - which it seems like they will (and they'd better if you've ever seen the ending), it would be interesting to know if they make it even better - because it needs to be if I'm going to buy it! Collapse
  21. Scree
    Jul 26, 2009
    As usual, this is a game that is nowhere near as bad as the critics make it out to be (let alone other players). I waited until this game was half price before getting it, because I did want it no matter what (I'm a sucker for female lead or co-lead characters) but $49 is a little too much to justify for almost any game. Anyway, the game does look great. Nvidia still doesn't As usual, this is a game that is nowhere near as bad as the critics make it out to be (let alone other players). I waited until this game was half price before getting it, because I did want it no matter what (I'm a sucker for female lead or co-lead characters) but $49 is a little too much to justify for almost any game. Anyway, the game does look great. Nvidia still doesn't include an SLI profile in their driver months after the game's release, so have to set that up yourself for SLI performance. The gameplay is a little shakey unless really accustomed to the whole sneak and stealth style. The story is just that, a story, basically a reliving of memories told by the hero. No idea why it's so criticized, I mean she's in WWII doing missions to bring down the evil idiots. Gee, I wanted Shakespeare!!! (nah, he sucks) So where this game fails for me is in the game saving. The whole checkpoint saving idea is stupid and simply offers only frustration. Can't understand why that is the trend today (even if on a console) -- if I want to save at any time I should be able too, we have the technology! Is it supposed to add to the challenge or do they think players will get a greater sense of accomplishment?! (2 rating points of for any game using this method, oh well.) Expand
  22. PedroS
    Jul 24, 2009
    I love this game. Put me inside the action, tottaly immersive! Graphics are astonishing, audio higly efficient to create atmosphere..and Violet is a hot and beatiful carachter. Amuses me see her in action with her unbelievable a**.
  23. trinsicg
    May 22, 2009
    Where do I start? Its a good idea gone wrong by bad design, poor controls, bad porting, weak storyline, limited game play choices... the list goes on and on and on. The only saving grace is that the graphics look great. Visuals mean nothing if you can't make a solid game. I'm glad I didn't waste my money on this, no wonder they didn't have a demo for it.
  24. KaiP
    May 16, 2009
    Totally enjoying this game! I agree, the save points are way too far apart, but that won't bother you much if you treat this game with the respect it is due. It's a stealth-shooter in every respect: keep to the shadows, be careful of the guards, and use your knife wherever possible. But don't forget your gun, and don't be afraid to use it. This game repays the patient Totally enjoying this game! I agree, the save points are way too far apart, but that won't bother you much if you treat this game with the respect it is due. It's a stealth-shooter in every respect: keep to the shadows, be careful of the guards, and use your knife wherever possible. But don't forget your gun, and don't be afraid to use it. This game repays the patient player, and Violette's story is compelling and engrossing. The voice acting is excellent, and the gameplay is good if you keep within your machine's capabilities. One previous poster hit the nail on the head: you'll either love this or hate it. Stealth aficionados can't afford to miss this. Expand
  25. CalebB
    May 12, 2009
    to be honest i did not find a single thing about this game. sure the graphics are alright and a low quality system can play it, but it is SO boring. it becomes very monotonous after about the second enemy you kill. i am sad because i wasted 50$ on a game i strongly dislike/hate. i think it is like a sad attempt at the matrix in ww2 rather than the future lol. and the controls are very to be honest i did not find a single thing about this game. sure the graphics are alright and a low quality system can play it, but it is SO boring. it becomes very monotonous after about the second enemy you kill. i am sad because i wasted 50$ on a game i strongly dislike/hate. i think it is like a sad attempt at the matrix in ww2 rather than the future lol. and the controls are very awkward. they take forever to really get the hang of and the a.i. is pathetic. Expand
  26. HelloKitty
    May 10, 2009
    A potentially good game, yet heavily crippled by porting issues (like completely awkward controls) and a scarce consideration for the PC audience in the gamelay itself. Don't waste your time on this crud.
  27. ChristopherS
    May 9, 2009
    It is a pretty decent stealth game -- a lot like thief set in world war 2. The mechanics are totally unoriginal, but still satisfying except in one respect: the consolized save game system sucks! The checkpoints are seriously WAY too far apart. They should either put them MUCH closer together or just let u save whenever u want, PC style. It enraged me and almost made me stop playing when It is a pretty decent stealth game -- a lot like thief set in world war 2. The mechanics are totally unoriginal, but still satisfying except in one respect: the consolized save game system sucks! The checkpoints are seriously WAY too far apart. They should either put them MUCH closer together or just let u save whenever u want, PC style. It enraged me and almost made me stop playing when I had to redo rather long sequences AGAIN and AGAIN. As far as the setting, World War 2 is rather tired. However, I have yet to play a WW2 stealth game, let a lone one based on an actual historical character. I find the story and the setting compelling and new IPs should be encouraged. I gave the game a 7. If they had done the saves better so I don't have to do the same thing 300 times, I'd have given it an 8. Expand
  28. Chuck
    Apr 30, 2009
    An excellent twist touching many genres. Since Violette is based on a real WWII War Heroe and she suffered such a tragic life and death, it is easy to relate to her and want to help her achieve her goals in the game. The stealth kills are very satisfying, especially after being killed by the same nazi soldier numerous times. It's like sweet revenge to finally watch a nice animation An excellent twist touching many genres. Since Violette is based on a real WWII War Heroe and she suffered such a tragic life and death, it is easy to relate to her and want to help her achieve her goals in the game. The stealth kills are very satisfying, especially after being killed by the same nazi soldier numerous times. It's like sweet revenge to finally watch a nice animation of his demise. The game is difficult, as it should be, and the all around coolest stealth action game I've played to date. I have currently completed 4 of the 12 missions in the game and so far, all have been excellently designed and awesome graphics and special effects. The game sucks you right in to the environment and you find yourself looking around corners to see what's ahead. A lot of work went into the game and it shows. The interface is clean and informative, and better looking than the previews posted all over the internet. I highly recommend Velvet Assassin to anyone looking for a great, challenging stealth game with some fun additons to keep the interest, including an RPG element of improving 3 areas: Stealth, Morphine use, and Strength, so your character can be built to fit your playing style. The morphine is used in a "bullet time" type mode, but freezes the enemies for a short time to enable Violette to kill one quickly or allow her escape. I'm more impressed with the game than I thought I would be, though I knew I was going to love it before I bought it. Do a search on Violette Szabo and you will find out about an amazing young lady, a life full of tragedy, sharpshooter and risk taker; a perfect character for this type of game, as well as a great war heroe that many have never heard of. Velvet Assassin hits the mark with me and I'm looking forwad to an expansion!!! Expand

1. A depressing and shoddy misfire of a World War II sneak-'em-up. [July 2009, p.84]
  2. The strength of this game is the visceral experience. It all feels very real and can be very tense, much like the enjoyable tension you feel in a good scary movie. This is all very good, but some poor choices in game design sometimes pull you out of the experience which is not so good.
  3. Forget about clever puzzles and “social stealth”. Instead of presenting various solutions to a problem, Velvet Assassin will beat you on the head with a stick and point to an “X” on the map.