7.6

1. Jul 6, 2014
    The theme and graphic style drew me in. The music was suitable and I reminisced about my days on the SNES and Genesis. But several hours in, and still on level 1 I realised something.

The game is hard NOT because it's hard, but because the jumping is absolutely terrible. Having no control over your jump makes this game artificially hard as 9 times out of 10 it was jumping into a pit that killed me because for some reason, Volgarr can't jump vertically up and a bit forward to get on a platform, but instead has to do this aberration of a left then immediately right jump to get over walls he's next to.

I can accept the save system, the very few hp Volgarr has, and the quick reflexes needed at various points, but the jumping ruins everything. I recommend this game but only in 10 minute bursts, any more and you might find your monitor outside your house out of unfair frustration.
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    I get it: Back in the good old days, games were hard and it took skill and dedication to beat, while today's gaming landscape of save points and auto-regenerate baby players toward the end of the game. And today, there are many excellent games that hark back to the difficulty of early gaming, such as Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Teleglitch, and Rogue Legacy. Volgarr the Viking, however,I get it: Back in the good old days, games were hard and it took skill and dedication to beat, while today's gaming landscape of save points and auto-regenerate baby players toward the end of the game. And today, there are many excellent games that hark back to the difficulty of early gaming, such as Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Teleglitch, and Rogue Legacy. Volgarr the Viking, however, revives some of the most frustrating game elements of the time.

First, a lack of checkpoints mixed with long levels means that players have to replay the parts of the levels that they've already mastered again and again before reaching the really difficult parts. Better games tend to avoid this repetitiveness with shorter levels or random elements.

Second, Volgarr's jumps cannot be controlled mid-air. Some people might not mind this, but I found it frustrating, especially when there are nearly blind jumps onto small platforms (I'm looking at you, third level).

Finally, and this one is minor, but there is no way to attack upward. The game design loves to have enemies jump on top of you, and when they do, there is no way to defend. Even Rastan had upward attacking!

Ultimately, I would have played this game for a lot longer than I did if only my first complaint were addressed. If you loved Ghosts n' Goblins, Karnov, or any other of the old-school platformers that no one ever beat, you'll probably like this one, but I just don't feel like playing the same mostly-boring levels over and over.
  3. Sep 14, 2013
    A Rastan clone and just as hard. In fact this would have been a perfect game for gaming today if the devs were a little more forgiving with placing more check points and at the very least showing you how much health you have left. As it is you have no idea how low you are in health and if you have been sweating through a long level and die, be prepared to start all over again. Again andA Rastan clone and just as hard. In fact this would have been a perfect game for gaming today if the devs were a little more forgiving with placing more check points and at the very least showing you how much health you have left. As it is you have no idea how low you are in health and if you have been sweating through a long level and die, be prepared to start all over again. Again and again and again aka Mega Man style. Those who love a challenge will love it everyone else be aware before plunking down your money on this as it will test your patience. Either way be prepared for repetition and frustration. Expand
  4. Oct 13, 2013
    Technical Issues[6]
    ------------------------------------
    Over All[7.0]
  5. Oct 4, 2013
    Volgarr is a game I'll be playing for quite a while. After 5 hours I've only gotten past 3 stages. It's good to finally have a real challenge. It's a shame Volgarr wasn't released in the SNES era or it would have been a classic.
  6. Aug 15, 2017
    Nice graphics, sound and gameplay. Stylish.
    However, I quit at the boss of world 2. Having to memorize each and every move of a boss so far away from the last checkpoint is not my idea of entertainment. Learning each next move with each death... sorry, as I am approaching 40 I can't afford to waste my time like this.
    Then I played some more and killed the mofo. And the next one. Maybe
    Nice graphics, sound and gameplay. Stylish.

Then I played some more and killed the mofo. And the next one. Maybe it's not that bad :)
  7. Mar 21, 2015
    This game is too frustrating, but fun

PROS
    -Combat
    -Graphics

CONS
    -Frustrating
    -Bugs and glitches .

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    Völgarr the Viking is challenging, which is nice, but there are too few checkpoints. Repetition is never, ever fun. [Feb 2014]
  2. Nov 25, 2013
    If you miss those old-school games where beating just a stage was already an achievement, where you'll die if you don't pay all the attention it deserves, this is the experience you're looking for.
  3. CD-Action
    Nov 14, 2013
    The difficulty level of this platformer/brawler is very demanding but fair, so when you grasp what it’s all about you’ll probably start to enjoy this red hot metal rod stuck in your... eye. [12/2013, p.65]