5.2

1. Mar 1, 2012
    I've been waiting for this game to come out for years and despite it getting off to a crap start yesterday (server issues) the game has been exactly what I was hoping. I've been enjoying myself immensely. There are tons of things to do and I thoroughly enjoy the crafting.

People have been giving this game a bad rap because of Square Enix's name, but from what I gather, they're just hosting the servers. Ankama developed it, just as they did Dofus and I think they've done a great job. I see the potential for a great future!

If you like isometric-view games like Dark Ages by Nexon/Kru or Ragnarok Online, you're sure to enjoy Wakfu!
  2. Mar 4, 2012
    With any user-driven metric you have to remember that it will probably skew negative from some minority with a frustrating issue (frustrating enough to drive them to rant). I'll try to be as unbiased as possible (My rating is positive but that's purely subjective imo)

Pro's: - turn-based, strategic combat rare in MMO's (very well executed for group PvP too) - player driven economy

- player driven economy (everything from mining to minting currency)
    - player driven ECOLOGY (kill off animals/plants, re-seed an area, mix and match to a degree so you can - farm what you need in as close a distance as possible -- there is player competition here obviously over WHAT should be planted). - nations, governments, elections, laws, etc to give players the tools to shape the world
    - free client, $6/mo subscription (extremely cheap imo)

CONS: - memory leak issue (sometimes having to restart client after a few hours)
    - bug preventing subscribers from grouping with free-to-play players (unresolved as of one week)
    - server desync bug (Fairly rare occurrence which drops you out of combat and/or renders you unable to interact with the world, requires relogging)
    - inventory space is sorely lacking (and there's a storage tax to keep items in your "house" unless you run quite a distance)
    - miscellaneous/cosmetic bugs (for example one complaint is that the "gifts" for subscribing apply only to one character, fairly ridiculous concern imo)
    - item mall (the devs promise this won't impact pvp but I'm still skeptical, I would rather pay $12/mo and remove the item mall)
  3. Mar 3, 2012
    A fun quirky game with great art, music, and population. With tactical turn based combat and over 14 classes to choose from its already off to a great start. Throw in the unique player ran economy and ecosystem and the ultra low price of $6 a month (less if you buy in bulk,) and you've got a solid MMO that competes with other AAA titles!
  4. Mar 3, 2012
    The game is a great game if you're into tactical MMO's, kind of akin to those such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden Tactics, Disgaea and related games. There is a misconception about this game being "Free to Play" and the current line of players believes they should have everything for free, which that is not the case. IT is a free "permanent trial" as it were.

As the game has just

As the game has just been released, things need to be improved on, of course (the not being able to party with people because of them being F2P and P2P members is a bug that will be fixed) and a lot of these negative reviews about bugs or limitations should not be here as full knowledge of the situation is not known by a vast majority of the people.

But I digress, this game has beautiful art and locations. This isn't a game you can just play solo, as there are many challenges that need to be tackled as a group or you will find yourself feeding the mushrooms rather quickly. It's a great game if you like a more laid-back atmosphere. I would have given this game a 10 but the PvP system in the game has no repercussions for attacking people who want nothing to do with it aside from some time in jail (if you're caught and killed by a Guard, which even then can be worked off) and some negative citizenship points which again can be worked off rather quickly, thus giving people power to choose how you play the game you spend money on.

But aside that, it is still a very good game to play with your friends. Don't look at the negative reviews and just pass the game off as a wasted cause, because gamers can be very harsh when judging something solely based on how it isn't to their expectations, I would recommend trying the game yourself to see if it's for you.
  5. Mar 26, 2012
    I'm shocked at the reviews currently, really who is reviewing this people who play world of warcraft? Yes the game is a grind but is that not what keeps you coming back everyday? The game is a follow on from Dofus, both games have a great and big community feel and I've played many online games I really cant understand people who want game content to consist of reaching max level in 2I'm shocked at the reviews currently, really who is reviewing this people who play world of warcraft? Yes the game is a grind but is that not what keeps you coming back everyday? The game is a follow on from Dofus, both games have a great and big community feel and I've played many online games I really cant understand people who want game content to consist of reaching max level in 2 weeks then sitting around in towns waiting for new content that is not fun, actually having to work towards a goal seems more enjoyable to me. As for peoples comments on the free to play business its not a free to play MMO you can get a taste at the start like any game but that's it I mean if you like the game pay for it, if you want a completely free game look for one. Please do not play every MMO then complain when you gotta pay for 80% of the content. Now my review on the game, I think for a new game this is by far one of the most polished and of course it needs alot more balancing and bug fixes yet there is new content due in a few days. The ecosystem idea is abit slow to get your head around took me awhile to find out what everything does but I'm not one for reading all the manuals and help texts I like to explore and discover the game as it hits me, but as a whole the idea is fantastic the power you hold over resources and local population is great fun to fiddle with. As for the politics well that is similar to guild hierarchy the players in a nation can choose to be good or bad citizens and how to govern there nation. This leads me onto my next point the idea of four nations rather than two is excellent its always been good or evil now its four elements people are now alot more aware of there actions and the consequence's because not just one side turning on you could be three. The professions seem hard to level at top end as gathering does not get faster it stays at the same collection time and XP so I'm wondering if there will be changes to that. The fact you can mint your own money is also a great idea harder to own markets now as everyone has the same start only people who dedicate there time souly to making money in game can get ahead really. As a long time player of Dofus I will say this as an ending to my review, these games have always taken awhile to suck people in but what they have to offer is far greater than most MMO's out there so stick with it for a week or two and see how you feel. Collapse
  6. Mar 27, 2012
    I'm seriously surprised by all the bad reviews players have left. But than I guess you can't expect someone who enjoys Lol or wow to enjoy just as much wakfu. I've played dofus for a long while and I've been really eager to the release of this game. The story is one of the best I've seen in MMOs. It ads up especially when you've played dofus and have watched the series. Not that you wouldI'm seriously surprised by all the bad reviews players have left. But than I guess you can't expect someone who enjoys Lol or wow to enjoy just as much wakfu. I've played dofus for a long while and I've been really eager to the release of this game. The story is one of the best I've seen in MMOs. It ads up especially when you've played dofus and have watched the series. Not that you would have to, in order to enjoy the game. It's just simply adorable to see something in the game that you have already seen on the TV and to say "hey! isn't that... for the series??" it made me smile. REALLY. about the bugs, I really agree that ankama should work this things out but they had just released the game for go'd sake! give them time! Plus it's one of the few games that let you become leader (or well king) of a nation, manage it's resources, introduce public transport and unlock territories. Plus they have a democratic system! That means anyone( well subscribers actually) can be the leader of a nation, declare war to another or ally with it. The currency is strictly introduced by players! You can destroy the environment or fix it! Heck, you can even get to prison! So I seriously don't understand what everyone's problem is with this game that has so many new things that players can enjoy but everyone seemes to see only the bugs and the F2P limits. Don't u have to pay for your world of warcraft? Hell you do! But no one complains because they are all illegally downloading the game making game designers and developers gain much less than their work is worth. Expand
  7. Mar 27, 2012
    Wakfu is brilliant game. Wakfu has its own taste, its own style. All characters are different, all builds are reliable, all groups are potent. It have some problems today, like economics breaches and balance issues, but all of them will be fixed, i hope so.
    Graphics, music and so are just perfect.
    Wakfu is a game with soul. Yes, this soul is full of grind, but even coop grind is fun in Wakfu.
  8. Mar 28, 2012
    This game is awesome!!!!! Original, beautiful, fun, so different from what I see elsewhere before... Absolutly the best MMO of the year!! I hope the game content will be updated frequently.
  9. Mar 28, 2012
    When i play this game i feel like in the game i can not stop! Like "keenu_souleyman" said IT'S ORIGINAL!! anybody did one game like that before. They change the rules from MMORPG it's not like the MMORPG (most of them) the go in line( all the same ) Add in game: Pym
  10. Mar 27, 2012
    Wakfu has a very good potential. Let's hope they will keep up the good work. The graphics look nice and the game play is very different of Dofus.
  11. May 28, 2012
    I honestly cannot remember the last time I felt so peaceful while immersed in a game. Wakfu has got it all covered: Artwork, Music, Story, Gameplay, Variety, Atmosphere, Characters, Community, Availability. This is one of the most complete games I've ever played. One of the most beautiful worlds I've visited. It just feels right, friendly, dreamy. I'm so tired of MMOs and multiplayer gamesI honestly cannot remember the last time I felt so peaceful while immersed in a game. Wakfu has got it all covered: Artwork, Music, Story, Gameplay, Variety, Atmosphere, Characters, Community, Availability. This is one of the most complete games I've ever played. One of the most beautiful worlds I've visited. It just feels right, friendly, dreamy. I'm so tired of MMOs and multiplayer games in general full of neckbeards, rage kids, achievement junkies, gold miners, bad mannered people and your run of the mill malignants. Wakfu is like a paid holiday in that regard. I must confess to being a bit biased since I really loved FFT, and am into TBS games in a big way. But I do love this game. It grows on you.

Be warned however, it is not for the overly competitive sort or graffixx/ragdoll physics worshipers. You guys stick to HoN, CoD and the like. Suffocate on your own rage.
  12. May 15, 2012
    Wakfu is a great game with a unique concept. It's fun to play and there's many things to do. People write it's only grinding, but I think that's unfair. Every competitive game contains a lot of grinding for those who want to have the best items, the top level, etc. Do you have to do this when playing Wakfu? - I think not. Go slow, enjoy the environment, find the secrets of Wakfu yourself,Wakfu is a great game with a unique concept. It's fun to play and there's many things to do. People write it's only grinding, but I think that's unfair. Every competitive game contains a lot of grinding for those who want to have the best items, the top level, etc. Do you have to do this when playing Wakfu? - I think not. Go slow, enjoy the environment, find the secrets of Wakfu yourself, instead of rushing through maybe 5% of the world and dungeons to keep killing the same things over and over. Then it will be quite a lot of fun.

Wakfu opens a lot of features for community events, but people don't really use them. There are an incredible lot of emotions and movements that could serve a role playing community very well. I just hope, some of the people who could enjoy this, get attracted. There are theaters, taverns, campfires to sit down - even a toilet! - come over here, help it fill with stories.

Regarding f2p, it's just there to get an understanding of how the real game works. It doesn't have to be more. It's perfectly ok for me, if the community is limited to people that are able to pay the little monthly contribution. The (player influenced) environment or politics still isn't in the best of possible states, but it was clearly worse in beta when everyone and their buddies had fun disturbing it.

Game is definitely worth a try, and I would give 10 points, if Ankama would put some time and effort in attracting more of the roleplaying crowd.
  13. Jul 30, 2013
    Wakfu is a unique turn-based strategic MMORPG that dosnt conform to your typical MMO. i've played dofus since i was 12 and Wakfu since closed Beta, it has a political system, Unique guild system including the creating and management of your own guild world, and an environmental and weather system. I've tryed to play other MMORPGS but nothing keeps me for longer than a few weeks, Wakfu isWakfu is a unique turn-based strategic MMORPG that dosnt conform to your typical MMO. i've played dofus since i was 12 and Wakfu since closed Beta, it has a political system, Unique guild system including the creating and management of your own guild world, and an environmental and weather system. I've tryed to play other MMORPGS but nothing keeps me for longer than a few weeks, Wakfu is by far the greatest and unique MMORPG i've played and the only downside is the lack of population in the English Server "Remmington" which can easily be fixed if people stop rating it so low when in reality all these reviews where written in the games very early stages. the game is 3 years old next February and will be 2 years since its been open to the public, so please ignore all these negative reviews and take my advise and try it out for yourself. if you have any issues i'd be more than happy to help. My in game name is Loco Huge Wang, on the Server Remmington. Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2014
    Game has gone a long way since open beta. f2p has access to pretty much all content and premium just gives access to the politics system and bonus loot/exp. Droprates can be abyssal endgame depending on class but this'll probably be fixed at some stage when they revamp the loot / craft system.
  15. Jul 31, 2014
    Great game. The graphics and game play is superb, the game has a wide range of dungeons and bosses and bosses that can be fought weekly which each adopted a very unique combat style forcing the players to use sophisticated tactics in order to deal with them, these are dubbed as "World Bosses" by Ankama. The game's epic music compliment the complex game play which requires more tactics thanGreat game. The graphics and game play is superb, the game has a wide range of dungeons and bosses and bosses that can be fought weekly which each adopted a very unique combat style forcing the players to use sophisticated tactics in order to deal with them, these are dubbed as "World Bosses" by Ankama. The game's epic music compliment the complex game play which requires more tactics than Ankama's older game: DOFUS. Expand
  16. Aug 31, 2013
    A isometric turn-based strategy game (like Ogre Battle and FF: Tactics) with a very awesome art, 100% controlled by players (there are no NPCs in game). All the market, government (yes, there's a governor with Soldiers, Treasures, Ecologists...) is controlled by the own players! The ecology itself is also controlled by players: you may extinct a family of monsters or a type of tree, orA isometric turn-based strategy game (like Ogre Battle and FF: Tactics) with a very awesome art, 100% controlled by players (there are no NPCs in game). All the market, government (yes, there's a governor with Soldiers, Treasures, Ecologists...) is controlled by the own players! The ecology itself is also controlled by players: you may extinct a family of monsters or a type of tree, or plant/cultivation if you don't "replant" them! There's a VERY exciting system of GvG and territory conquests. LOTS of dungeons with all sort of mechanics. The PvP is very well balanced, one of the bests I've ever played, compared to games like Ultima Online and DotA!
    The guild system is unique. There's daily "guild quests" to help your guild get points and invest them on their own City! Called "Heaven Worlds" its an amazing construction system where you can build your own city, with money, resources and points! You can build portal, resurrection statues, roads, houses, monsters fields, plant/tree fields and even dungeons!!
    The updates are constantly and every month there's something totally new coming to the game!
  17. Sep 19, 2014
    ********** INTRODUCTION - A BIT OF HISTORY ***********

********** INTRODUCTION - A BIT OF HISTORY ***********

Now I was a player of Wakfu back in the day (in 2012, like everyone here) and frankly the game was good. now sure, I had the pay a monthly fee (that was not nearly as much as what WoW would ask you to pay, but still, I had to pay it), but the game itself was great. The problem was that unfortunately, the servers were devoid of players, because most wakfu players would have been Dofus players and I think that the beta of Wakfu did really badly with tons of bugs etc. So I eventually dropped the game, like GW2, if you want, and went for something else. You cannot guess how surprised I was to see this game coming on steamplay xD.
    Well, I for one think that this is the best thing Ankama (french gaming company who did Dofus and Wakfu) could have done. Byt doing this not only will their number of players multiply by 100 (it was that low) but the game will be revived. As I understand it, now, there is no need for monthly payment (which I find is great) and you can just enjoy a great game for free.

*********** THE REVIEW ***********

Now I keep saying great game, but what makes this game so great? many, many things.
    I think the first word to describe this game would be innovative, it is struggling to do something no MMO has ever done.

+ Everyone has their own player house FROM THE BEGINNING and it can be upgraded and decorated through quests, achievements and dungeon battles.

+ It has a very extensive job system. (it really is, trust me, you don't? prepare to cut wood, fish, kill monsters, create monsters, plant trees, plant herbs/pick herbs, cereals (not the same skill tree). Each job comes with a skill tree which when ugraded allows you to pick oand plant more resources.

+ A very advanced ecosystem if all you do is cut a certain type of tree and no one else around you is planting some, prepare to be sued by the government for being anti ecologist. I also strongly advise not to cut down endangered species as that WILL lower your citizenship rating and you will eventually become an outlaw.

+ And to follow up on that point, an extremely well thought out political system. There is a government for each faction (there are four) on each server, in which there is a governor, and maybe 6-7 ministers (defence, ecology, economy, of war... ) Speaking of war, war can be freely organised between governors to liven up the game.

+ A Great strategic battle system which encourages you to be more tactical and not button spam like most
    MMO these days. there are twelve (originally there were twelve, I think that number went up to 14 though) classes, each with a different skillset and abilities.

+ A great variety of monsters also...

Well, thats all I can think of for the good points, now to the negative points

- Back in the day, each class was nerfed or augmented every day, which made for a very hazy game experience, I do not know if they still do that however I doubt that they have yet found the perfect balance between the 14 characters as there are always some who will outperform the rest.

- In game shop. Not much to say here, i'm just putting it here because that's basically a negative aspect of any game and yes there are some things you can get from the shop that make you more powerful, so it's NOT just cosmetic, but its really not indispensable.

- Still some occasionnal bugs, but nothing major.

- There is a main story, but it is completely seperated from the rest of the game for some unknown reason. I would have preferred a story implemented in the rest of the game.

-/+ The lack of actual quests can be a bit annoying at first but I guess the presence of dynamic events (like in guild wars 2) makes it a bit better.

Yeah so I guess that's it, I hope you read it all and that it was helpful. Of course don't try this if you hate turn based strategy, but if you do, even if you're not sure after reading my review, just try it, it's free ;)
  18. Aug 17, 2014
    Reading soulsquest's review, can't help but disagree so thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. From the sounds of it he's either only played in the beta years ago or just never got very far ingame.

I own a couple endgame characters on the Wapac server my highest being level 156 (160 is the current cap) so could say I've experienced a lot of the game. First off wakfu is a very community

First off wakfu is a very community oriented game, you won't progress very far on your own as most of the content was designed to be completed in groups, find a good guild and it'll be fine. (ie don't be a jerk. People will hunt you, stop trading and/or partying with you. Popcorn material.)

The only item drop quests I can think of are the otomai hunter quests and respec quest (made to be hard, shouldn't easily respec your toons). Other quests revolve around minigames/puzzles/puzzlebosses? (See enurado/srambad/wild estate/wabbit questlines)

Remington has been around for years so it'd be very hard to buy a guild havenworld on that server. Other servers should be a lot easier to find a free one (50kk havenworlds on wapac yes please). One person may have little impact but they're mostly community focus, organise events with the guild and can progress them quite fast.

Ecosystems can go extinct, happens all the time. Without a good government in place more often than not. From what I hear there was an incident a year ago where a guild went and harvested all the resources in one of the nations gg.

Governments ingame are a lot like they are in real life. Most do nothing but sit on their arses (suprise). The good ones however organise events for the community and maintain the ecosystems so we don't have to. The bad ones outlaw breathing. Take it how you want. pay to play voting is only to mitigate f2p vote rigging. Still happens, but if someone pays $100+ just to get a virtual government seat I'd say let them.

Soulsquest's claim on localisation is false the majority of the game is translated bar the occassional item or two.

Soulquest - "You will end up pressing 1-5; because focusing on anything but one element will gimp you to the point of uselessness. In order to level a spell up; you will be casting it over and over again; thousands of times. There is no class variety; people just play the least (or most) broken one."

Quite the opposite, most experienced players would recommend against going mono element. In most but not all cases mono element limits your options, especially when a monster has high resists to that element or requires you to use a different fighting approach. Dual and tri element builds give a larger number of spells to use, better resists and
    are better supported by gear.
    Classes are quite specialised in their roles and they have varying degrees of usefulness in endgame dungeons. They will only become more specialised after the second round of class revamps.

Below are a list classes and possible builds
    iops - Close combat damage dealers / stun tanks.
    Rogues - ranged damaged / close combat / bomb users.
    Cras - Ranged archer. (kite city!!!)
    Pandas - Drunken brawler / map manip tank / ranged aoe
    Sacriers - Meat tanks / map manip damage dealers / Berserker damage dealer.
    Fecas - Support tank / pure tank / glyph damager
    Osamodas - Dragon mode / Summoners / Combat summoners (fight alongside your summons, rare build)
    Masqueraider - Combo fighter / ranged damage + heals/ berserk AoE.
    Sadida - Doll user / poisoner / aoe / offensive heals.
    Foggernaut - Armor piercing / tank+aoe hybrid / aoe. wp theft
    Xelor - teleporter / squishy glass cannon.
    Enutrof - Item hunter / tactical aoe / mobility crowd control / Extreme mobile brawler+badgermole.
    Sram - (very weak atm, big buff in a month). Invisible Assassins / Trap user / dopplegangers.
    Eniripsa - Healer / Debuffer / Magic marks.
    Ecaflips - Gamblers / Cat fighter.

Customer support comes fast on wapac servers, active moderating team with weekly community events.

Overall a pretty good game.
  19. Mar 26, 2012

1. Apr 16, 2012
    A beautiful alternative to the standard MMO, but unlikely to draw you away from more structured questing for long. [May 2012, p.88]
  2. Apr 16, 2012
    Wakfu isn't for everyone, but it is right up your alley if you love a grid-based strategy RPG with the MMO elements we're all familiar with. It has enough charm to keep you in awe for days, and enough depth to keep you playing for weeks.
  3. Mar 23, 2012
    If you're expecting epic quests, great loot, a compelling storyline and larger than life battles, then maybe Wakfu isn't the game for you. But if you're interested in exploring a drop-dead gorgeous world without getting aggro from every single mob you come across and being able to chat freely without restrictions to all the other players in the game, then you'll probably love this game.