5.8

1. Jun 23, 2013
    THIS GAME IS DIFFICULT. Expect to get killed a lot in your first few games. While at first this game may seem very lame, it just keeps getting better and better the more you play it!
  2. Oct 7, 2012
    Let me start of by saying that you can not give this game a bad review based on the lag! This game sold thousands, if not millions of copies since it's recent release. And it is a very PC consuming game. The lag is just the amount of people trying to get on their servers. So if you gave the game a bad review based on that, and I rarely say this, you are flat out WRONG! As an avid mount and blade player, I am used to the mechanics and I can understand that they can be difficult to adjust to. I mean it is a huge step upwards from you standard spam the left mouse button (i.e. Minecraft, Terraria, and Elder Scrolls game except Morrowind, etc.) so its gonna take a little adjusting, but wouldn't you rather have a sophisticated combat system then have everybody going around spamming left mouse button and dying left and right. Also, the mechanic where if you're too close to someone and you swing at them, you just hit them with a wooden pole, is genius. There have been so many games where I've been standing right up against something and slamming on top of it with a spear and it did significant damage. I'm whacking them with a padded handle and its cutting like a blade! Why does that make since. War of the Roses is a great step away from today's competitive games whether it be FPSs, Mobas, or Dota styles, cause lets face it, those are the only real online competitive games these days, and brings in a whole new genre (or rather builds on it) I like to call, Medieval Competitive Combat. I'd also consider Mount and Blade and Chivalry in this category. If anyone asks, I coined that term. Solid 9 out of 10. Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2012
    A great and fun experience, Try to look at this game as a whats to come instead of what we got now, this game as it stands has its issues but are easily fixed with updates, content for this game should be endless and be exciting for everyone a fan of the era, the hack and slash or just fast paced fun.
    I highly recommend this for anyone interested in a pure fun game and soon to be one of
    the best released games in a long time! Expand
  4. Oct 14, 2012
    [READ MY REVIEW] Newest as of Oct. 14, 2012 AD. Everyone checking out War of the Roses should feel pretty shocked at seeing these scores. This is an extremely underrated game and I have absolutely no idea why. I was about 2 weeks late in buying this game, but as I see most of these negative reviews are from it's original release date. There are NO bugs, I've been playing this game all day. There are a few minor issues with frame rates sometimes, but that doesn't take away from the game. Despite all these negative reviews, the player base is massive. The combat mechanics are easy to pick up, unlike Mount and Blade, which I love just as much. This game is just easier to play, than Mount and Blade. It looks better, too. It's historically accurate, so I feel like I'm learning on top of everything. There's so many perks, armors, weapons, and customization options, that there are hundreds of ways your characters stands out from every other. The sounds are sharp and music is very epic. There is no reason any fan of Mount and Blade should have a hard time picking this game up and fall in love with this new addition. Those who have never played Mount and Blade are about to experience one hell of a blast from a new style of game. It's well worth my $30, so it should be well worth yours as well. Expand
  5. Oct 27, 2012
    Noidea why the low scores, seems to be too hard for some people lol - if u can't work out the combat try keyboard attack/block much more effective then mouse attack/block.

Combat and directx11 graphics rock just needs more game modes which this and new content has already been announced.
  6. Nov 11, 2012
    If you read through all the reviews, you'll notice stark contrasts between what people think. This is, mostly, I feel because of the skill level required to truly play this game well. On the surface it looks simple but it is, actually quite complex.
    Many different weapons all which have a different feel along with armor types. That, along with different customization, allows one to create
    custom classes that fit ones style. That along with a very interesting attack and parry system, make for a really great combination.
    All in all, I really am enjoying this game.
    However, there are two issues I have a problem with. One is the fact that the game servers were sold out to only one company, Multiplay, with no way of setting up one's own server. This has made renting servers very expensive and some areas where no servers are located. The other is a squad spawning system that doesn't suite this game. However, this latter problem, like other issues this game has had, will probably be handled by the developers (they've already begun to change it).
    I'd highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a fun and complex medieval FPS. However, it won't appeal to the masses due to the high learning curve required to actually get good at this game.
  7. Oct 4, 2012
    Love this game! coming from Arma 2 and BF3 after COD started my career, I'm surprised how much fun this was straight out of the blocks! I was wheezing with laughter the first two days, mainly due to my own incompetence and the tragic results for my teammates! Huge scope for skill in the combats, which are perfectly resolved in my view, the animation, sound and results of my swings and jabs have been 100% pixel perfect and rock solid again since the start. The only problem for me has been server disconnects which now seem 95% fixed (two days after launch) . Can't wait to get back into the fight. Fending off multiple attacks by parrying with your shield and backing away is my favourite! Brilliant game, am sure the likers will stay satisfied with the good news about the franchise. Well done Paradox! Collapse
  8. Sep 4, 2013
    Despite floaty combat, generally average map design, and some pervasive bugs, War of the Roses provides gameplay that is just plain fun, and the skill based combat as well as the variety of weapons keeps me coming back. Its not technically a 9/10 however I rate it so because of how much fun I got out of this game, which to me is the end all of what a game should do, be immersive, challenging and fun. Expand
  9. Oct 5, 2012
    This is a very under-rated game. I wish the user score was a little closer to the critic score but I guess that's what you get when just anyone can vote. It's definitely worth it's price tag!
  10. Oct 8, 2012
    If you are looking for a great medieval multiplayer only game for a great price, then try War of the Roses. If you haven't played Mount & Blade before, it will be a learning process as this game rewards skilled players. Don't mind the negative scores on the user reviews. Many of them ripped the game because the servers struggled the first few days. With new game modes, levels, weapons, and armor coming in the first major update as announced, this game is a must-have for any pc multiplayer enthusiast! Expand
  11. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a fantastic execution of a 15th century. I closely relate it a hybrid of battlefront and battlefield. New maps, New equipment, and new game styles are still being developed by the devs. (Who i have had great response from) You will play this game finding some things missing (like saved overall stats are non-existent) THERE IS NO SINGLE-PLAYER- only single tutorial training missions. Overall I give it 9/10. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and I trust these Dev's with bringing it up to my standards. Expand
  12. Jul 27, 2013
    I have logged 10 hours of play after purchasing WOTR: Kingmaker on Steam. I did not find the learning curve to be too high, and I have never played a multiplayer medieval game like this before. The default classes are not bad and I quickly earned gold with which to purchase custom classes and equipment. Sure, I can't afford good armor yet but I am doing fine without it. The battle mechanics are great and dueling is really fun. All the weapons are realistic. If you are using an axe or spear you must hit with the top of the weapon or it will not count. Its a great feeling when you successfully decapitate someone, get a headshot with a longbow, or knock someone off their mount.

I tried Chivalry recently and found it to be basic, boring, unrealistic, and very unpolished. I went straight back to WOTR. It feels much more refined and satisfying. Its not too easy and its not too hard, and with some skill you can earn enough gold to buy new stuff very quickly. Its really a great game and I plan to log many more hours.
  13. Oct 5, 2012
    If you enjoyed mount and blade you will enjoy this game. It is much more fast pased and combat based compared to it. The individual battles take a significant amount longer to the larger amount of health that you have. They also have included a class creation system that spans from game to game which is similair to the c-rpg mod that was present on M&B Warband. Overall it's a very good game and I can't wait to see where it goes in the future. Expand
  14. Oct 4, 2012
    Brilliant game. The most fun I've had in online multiplayer in a long time and where success or failure is entirely down to the skill level of the player. Surprisingly deep and very nuanced gameplay. Highly recommended
  15. Oct 2, 2012
    This is an excellent game, with a steep learning curve. If you are more used to slower-paced games, this game will throw you off. If you are used to games that require little in terms of practice and skill, this game will throw you off. This is not your average multiplayer game, this is something unique and different.

Some claim that the controls are clunky and awkward and, you know
    what, they are. The point is that it's not something that takes away from the game; rather, it is just another element that you have to learn, adapt to and then master. We are all noobs to begin with and this game makes that painfully clear.

If you're a terribad, you're going to hate this game, because no matter what you do, others will seem to instantly kill you from miles away with a crossbow, mow you down with a horse and lance, crush your face with a hammer coming down on your helmet like the wrath of a severely irked deity... but if you decide to lift yourself above the masses and actually learn the mechanics, learn when to use the dagger, when to use the poleaxe, how the arrows drop off... then you will eventually be rewarded ten-fold, when you snipe that pesky mounted knight right off his horse at 200 yards.

This game rewards skill and, unfortunately for some, skill is not an unlock.

The graphics quality is top-of-the-line and with all settings cranked to the max, it looks as good as any triple-A title on the market. It has some work to do in the optimization/performance department, but those are just details, minor cracks in an otherwise superb presentation. If you don't own a beastly machine, turn shadows off, and your framerate will skyrocket.

Overall, this game is definitely worth the
  16. Mar 3, 2013
    Alright first off, this is not a simple point and click game. And the Skill reference on the trailers is 100% true. If you got zero patience to learn how to fight, instead of blindly click well your better off not trying to play or review a game that tries to simulate combat. This game attempts to simulate the historical War of the Roses battles, so the weapons, armor, even the battle areas are hand picked out of history and get quite a bit of effort put in to feel as close to real as they can.

That being said, this is not some mindless FPS even though it may get put into its category some times by people who don't know where to put it. Armor makes you move slow, sprinting in it will have you hunched over unable to put up a fight after a min of stop and go sprints. In this type of armor with these weapons you move at a general pace. These are meant to be soldiers, so they are expected to not simply fight for 20 mins and call it a day, these men are expected to be at the read 15 hours or more out of the day. That seems to be the biggest hurdle for players, the realization the weight of the armor. A modern chain shirt using much lighter steel can weigh over 50 lbs. The default armor is a chain shirt, a coif which is about 1/4 the weight, with leather sleeves/pants, and a breast plate that weighs quite a bit. There is a big reason this armor went out of fashion after a gun was invented. It was physically demanding, expensive to make, and restricted movement.

I personally wore a bit of modern armor made out of a garage metal shop for competition fighting. This armor was lighter and actually weighed in competition to scale with the real stuff for point purposes. Fighting in it required moving slowly and adjusting everything, the simple act of swinging a sword with metal or chain armor on changes dramatically because of the weight and the restrictions it places on you.

They don't just tamper with melee combat making armor slow down sword strikes, or blocks, it messes up your reload with a ranged weapon as well. And unlike your standard FPS every time you aim your weapon it wobbles because that's how it is in real life, you either time the shot with the breath or hold it even when not looking down a scope.

Now that I got that out of the way the games combat is brilliantly fun, or annoying to the new player who would just as easily be put off by head shots. It uses a 3 S system, slash, stab, smash. Each damage type has pros and cons, and the starter kit for level 0 shows it the best, the one handed swords slash has no chance at all of doing more then scratching the paint of a set of full plate, thrusting the point in which takes more skill and practice however can actually pierce the once unstoppable plate.

It also has a very detailed hit box system, so that even in my full plate set, an archer can use painful arrows meant for soft targets by shooting me in the narrow slit in my helm, or the fave spot last night my arm pit which has cloth padding since metal there would make it impossible for me to move my arms. The catch to this is the neck is almost always got mail, cloth or nothing, and face covering helmets impar your vision enabling blind spots. A popular melee move is to use a 2 handed ax that can cut into chainmail to cut off a players head, or if your not that good at aiming like me I swing wildly at the helmet with a 2 handed sword if I see a visor up, hoping for that satisfying slash across my enemies face. With ranged shooting the neck is insane, so legs were shields cant reach or faces with no armor make tempting targets.

To conclude this game is the most fun I have had in a multiplayer only game in ages, and I own all the latest shooters, and a few other team deathmatch games. The thrill of slapping players in the face when their visors are up, or landing that lucky blow on a plate wearer's flesh or padding is far greater then any other deathmatch experience I have had to date. Even if I die to an arrow to the back of my knee, or armpit every now and then.
  17. Oct 3, 2012
    As with all good things in life this little game takes some practice. But when you master it, its quite a joy! I started as a bowman and learnt the tactics. After a couple of hours played i had money enough to costumize my medieval answer to Mr Swarznegger. But even the most well equipped soldiers in this game has its weaknesses i learnt when getting stabbed down by a peasant.
  18. Oct 2, 2012
    OUCH - the sword / mace / arrow / higher lvl player kills you outright and wtf??? - but no more than any sniper action in any other given multi - player online game. There is a certain slash..slash...slash to the game that can seem repetitive and unskilled to the initiate, but actually, on the contrary - the immediate simpleness belies the deeper subtleties within. To strike effectively each attack must be angled and aimed and each weapon (many choices) has it's own benefits or drawbacks. For example, some can pierce / break armour or weapons effectively, but are slow or ungainly to wield. Downed players can be put to death for MONDO xp, but at the risk of a nail bitingly slow cut-scene when, in my experience, your protagonist seems to randomly sprout arrows and gushes of blood from the neck / head. The resulting battlefield can feel sometimes chaotic but mostly deeply fulfilling and incredibly compelling. Expand
  19. Oct 3, 2012
    A great game with some real historical accuracy and attention to detail. The graphics are AAA quality with amazing ambient sounds that give the game real depth and makes you feel as if you are on the battlefield. Buy it and you wont be disappointed!
  20. Oct 7, 2012
    Fantastic gameplay and amazing visuals. A lot of help and support from the developers and a lot of nice features to come. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who enjoys the Mount and Blade series. Some issues with servers and gameplay. Other than that an amazing game. 9/10
  21. Nov 20, 2012
    This game has a steep learning curve and will not appeal to those who like to be good at a game without putting in any effort. However if you are able to self-coach and enjoy a challenge, the depth of the gameplay soon becomes apparent. There is a lot of customization available and all choices have involve a risk/reward balance which will depend on your own gameplay style.

The maps
    are beautiful and so big that battles are very different depending on which area of the map the players go for. The two available modes (TDM and conquest) are a lot of fun but the real prize is the pitched battle mode which is currently in open beta. Join a clan, learn to play and have fun! Expand
  22. Oct 28, 2012
    This is a brilliant game. It has it's flaws but all in all an excellent game. There are alot of naysayers to this game. But that is mainly due to it's somewhat steep learning curve for a game of this type and the amount of skill required. This requires some amount of tactics and strategy the correct balancing of your perks along with the execution in order to be successful. Which is what alot of the naysayers have failed to do! alot of the negative feedback from this come from within a days play....I have been playing this for weeks and have now only just fully understood the game and am now in full stride having ALOT fun and doing well in most games! To begin with the game can be very stressfull and definately had me swearing all sorts. But in the end, its the skill required and the challenge that kept me playing and reward you get from killing someone, It's an achievement whereas to compare it to chivalry the feeling of achievement and skill...for me is extremely low. In a few words WOTR is very skill based. Chivalry is your Call of duty, very casual. Both fun in their own merit. Pick your poison..... I'd choose War of the Roses. Every time! Expand
  23. Jun 25, 2013
    I am coming from playing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare first, due to metacritic scores. I bought the better rated game, and didn't get into it at all due to the difficulty of aiming blows. When I read that one of the faults of WotR was that the controls were worse, I steered away. I decided to give the game a go however, due to a great sale on Steam. While the game is still clunky, I think it is great fun, and the 3rd person view does a bit to give you some situational awareness. Online play is fun, and leveling up for new classes comes easy enough with just a few wins. I do disagree with the crossbow mechanic, but the longbow works great, and the sword swinging and parry system are great fun. Expand
  24. Jul 30, 2013
    Good game, I would like to see more variety of weapons and armor. But now, the game is a lot of fun. More such games about the Middle Ages.
    Developers are tried to capture the atmosphere of the time and they turned out well.
  25. Aug 3, 2013
    an excellent game .this game is much better now than it was at launch. is much more realistic than chivalry. in war of the rose there a real system of armor in chivalry you only have more life no real potrecion
  26. Oct 4, 2012

1. Dec 2, 2012
    The foundation for a sophisticated swordplayer is here, but War of the Roses misses the jugular by forgetting to include the rest. [Dec 2012, p.74]
  2. Nov 29, 2012
    An interesting medieval action game with a very good combat system (except for a rather primitive mounted combat) which is more refined than its counterpart in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. [CD-Action 13/2012, p.62]
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    A complicated game mechanics title that's obviously suited for gamers in love with medieval battles. If it is your love, you will clench your teeth and the gameplay will reward you with a fantastic atmosphere and a rich experience. The game's variations are few, so it is basically two groups of fighters slitting each others throats. Nonetheless, expanding the gameplay experience is a likelihood.