6.2

1. May 9, 2014
    My group of friends bought this game and I was skeptical of this genre due to the imperfections of chivalry and others like it. Sadly our game industry has fell to where everyone gets instant gratification. Jump in and disregard the learning curve, and trust me it took 5 hours to get this game down and im still getting the hang of it. Once you get past the clunky sword system its actuallyMy group of friends bought this game and I was skeptical of this genre due to the imperfections of chivalry and others like it. Sadly our game industry has fell to where everyone gets instant gratification. Jump in and disregard the learning curve, and trust me it took 5 hours to get this game down and im still getting the hang of it. Once you get past the clunky sword system its actually alot of fun. In my opinion the sword system forces the user to think and position oneself alot more than games such as chivalry and there is a good amount of strategy when engaging in a sword fight. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2014
    This game received a lot of bad press and reviews and hate. Honestly, I can't understand why. It had a suboptimal start with some bugs and netcode-issues, but in it's current state it's an amazing game. I'm a dedicated gamer with over 300 games on my account, I'm gaming excessively for 25 years now and I would go as far to say that this is the best multiplayer-game I ever played. TheThis game received a lot of bad press and reviews and hate. Honestly, I can't understand why. It had a suboptimal start with some bugs and netcode-issues, but in it's current state it's an amazing game. I'm a dedicated gamer with over 300 games on my account, I'm gaming excessively for 25 years now and I would go as far to say that this is the best multiplayer-game I ever played. The graphics are the most beautiful I've ever seen in a game, a true piece of art. Actually the game in motion looks much better than the screenshots. The maps are extremly well designed and detailed, setting a new standard. You can literally see the great amounts of love that the devs put into them. Also sounds and music add nicely to the atmosphere and complete the great presentation. The gameplay itself is simple in it's elements but is in result very deep and skill-based. Easy to understand, but hard to master, like it ideally should be. The combat is fast, tactical, uncomplicated and satisfying. All upgrades you can unlock are purely for prestige and visuals, which is great since it doesn't create disadvantages for new players while it's still rewarding. Only drawback of this game is the small community, which makes it difficult to find other players early in the morning and in the middle of the night, but it doesn't bother at the rest of the day. Another little issue might be the beserker-class, which rewards spamming a bit too much. The game would be better without them but I don't see it as a serious issue since berserkers have very limited potential. In conclusion I got to say it makes me really sad to see that such a beautiful game doesn't get the attention it deserves, while millions of people pay 60 bucks for CoD every year. Makes me honestly question the future of gaming, it's industry and it's consumers. I guess the low success is a combination of bad marketing and the fact that most players today get frustrated by a game which requires a few hours to develop decent skills in, compared to CoD where you just need to know how to pull a trigger. And surely this game had a tough start, but every major multiplayer-game has these days. In this case community and publisher/devs were sadly very impatient, which is disappointing. But even more I'm disappointed by the market (respectively consumers), since it apparently doesn't reward an elaborated, ambitious, well-designed game which hasn't an advertising-budget of billions and in which you will get killed many times in the beginning since it's really skill-based and requires some learning. Expand
  3. Dec 7, 2013
    It looks like it could be an interesting online battle arena, BUT, in order for them to accomplish what they set out to do they really need to tighten up hit detection, movement, latency issues... pretty much everything needs an enormous amount of polish. that being said, it is an early access view of it, so maybe that is what they will work on. As it is though, going to block an axe withIt looks like it could be an interesting online battle arena, BUT, in order for them to accomplish what they set out to do they really need to tighten up hit detection, movement, latency issues... pretty much everything needs an enormous amount of polish. that being said, it is an early access view of it, so maybe that is what they will work on. As it is though, going to block an axe with a shield, and actually getting the shield between the axe and you, only actually nets you a 50/50 chance of it not cutting your head off. so needs work. Expand
  4. Mar 30, 2014
    This games takes the hack and slash of WoTR and speeds it up so that you really feel the intensity of combat. The game is still in early access but is about to be released.The game encourages team play through squad and squad heals. However, you are not forced down the team play ally and you can do your own thing if you wish. The developers seem to really care about what the community hasThis games takes the hack and slash of WoTR and speeds it up so that you really feel the intensity of combat. The game is still in early access but is about to be released.The game encourages team play through squad and squad heals. However, you are not forced down the team play ally and you can do your own thing if you wish. The developers seem to really care about what the community has to say and has time again listened to the community when it comes to changes or suggestions.

Many of the reviews here talk about ridiculous ping issues and server crash issues. Indeed, that was the case earlier in Early Access, but more recent updates make server crashes a thing of the past. As for ping, that is solely due to the server location and your distance from it, it is nothing to do with the game engine (eg: if you are in the US and play on a EU server you will inevitably have high ping).
  5. Apr 27, 2014
    I don't know why everyone is hating on this game I mean it isn't perfect, but if you're in the target audience then I think you will love this game (after you conquer its steep learning curve though)
  6. Nov 30, 2013
    Highly recommend War of the Vikings. It is a great continuation of the "War of" series. Well designed combat system that is vastly improved over War of the Roses. Developers are great at working with the players to ensure a quality game. In the Alpha release the game feels whole. There are a few issues with netcode but the developers have made this a top priority to be completed forHighly recommend War of the Vikings. It is a great continuation of the "War of" series. Well designed combat system that is vastly improved over War of the Roses. Developers are great at working with the players to ensure a quality game. In the Alpha release the game feels whole. There are a few issues with netcode but the developers have made this a top priority to be completed for the Beta. Considering the game is still in early access and the developers have addressed any issues the full release of the game looks to be the best in its genre. The combat system is a bit hard to learn at first and has a fairly steep learning curve, in order to address this issue the game has created special moves for melee weapons that make it easier for the newer players in the game. The beta is due to release soon with tons more extra content. If one is familiar with War of the Roses new features include (but are not limited to): Stamina, throwing weapons, doge abilities, sprinting, special moves, battle chatter, and 3 character class types (each with different armour). Highly recommend the purchase of this game, the only real problem is trying to stop playing the game is so good. Expand
  7. Jan 21, 2014
    Fast and brutal skilled based game play, that will get your adrenalin rushing through your body as arrows, javelins and throwing axes fly by your head! Outsmarting people is key to victory in this game, and you'll get fight till the bitter end! This game is one heck of a good game play experience, since most of the players are mature gamers. Comparing this game to such a title asFast and brutal skilled based game play, that will get your adrenalin rushing through your body as arrows, javelins and throwing axes fly by your head! Outsmarting people is key to victory in this game, and you'll get fight till the bitter end! This game is one heck of a good game play experience, since most of the players are mature gamers. Comparing this game to such a title as Chivalry, is like comparing chess with uno. A must for history lovers and viking-enthusiast! Personally I can't wait for the full release! Expand
  8. Mar 4, 2014
    Many negative reviews are back from december, this is now march and the game is still in Beta. I think gamers need to realise the difference between a released game and a beta game. MetaCritic is incorrect stating this game was released on Oct 1, 2013. I have now played the beta for 3+ months and all the issues mentioned in the negative reviews have been fixed and the game is so much fun.Many negative reviews are back from december, this is now march and the game is still in Beta. I think gamers need to realise the difference between a released game and a beta game. MetaCritic is incorrect stating this game was released on Oct 1, 2013. I have now played the beta for 3+ months and all the issues mentioned in the negative reviews have been fixed and the game is so much fun. Think CoD with a ton of customization gone viking raiding era. Fast paced, highly skill based, hard learning curve first hour but once you get the hang of it after that, you're an addict. So stay away if you don't wanna get addicted :)

Corrections to previous reviewers, there is NO pay to win in this game as someone states, all customization is purely cosmetic and all weapons have the same "stats'. Also having played war of the roses and war of the vikings both with 200+hours each, war of the vikings is very fast paced in comparison and not slower.
  9. Dec 6, 2013
    Played during free weekend and I would say the game is half decent. The game's visuals are a step up from war of the roses and the game's combat mechanics feels smooth and nice. The problem is aiming feels really slow and attacking has a bit of a strange feel to it which makes it really hard to aim or block and you can almost never run away from an enemy because they will just trip you,Played during free weekend and I would say the game is half decent. The game's visuals are a step up from war of the roses and the game's combat mechanics feels smooth and nice. The problem is aiming feels really slow and attacking has a bit of a strange feel to it which makes it really hard to aim or block and you can almost never run away from an enemy because they will just trip you, and when you are on the ground, they will decapitate you. Yes, this game is in beta but I am sure they will not change the core elements of movement and combat. Though if you really enjoyed War of the Roses and if you are looking for a new game to play with similar mechanics, I would suggest to get this game or at least try it (If it ever comes on free weekend for steam again). Expand
  10. Oct 7, 2013
    A sequel to War of the Roses, this game features timing- and physics-based combat along the lines of Mount and Blade's classic series of games. Graphics are much improved over the engine of that game, and its armor system is slightly improved with the addition of armor based hit-zones... unlike WotR, set in the medieval times, WotV does not have any heavier armors or mounted combat,A sequel to War of the Roses, this game features timing- and physics-based combat along the lines of Mount and Blade's classic series of games. Graphics are much improved over the engine of that game, and its armor system is slightly improved with the addition of armor based hit-zones... unlike WotR, set in the medieval times, WotV does not have any heavier armors or mounted combat, instead adding beards and thrown weapons. Expand
  11. Oct 16, 2013
    Very promissing and truly wonderful game, worth every penny. Improved combat system according to War of the Roses, new classes closer to chilvalry, but taking best parts still from war of the roses. For me the best game in its class
  12. Nov 4, 2013
    Just can't get enough of this game. And it's only in Alpha early access! Still finding out new ways to fight, new tactics to try. Real competition in what feels like a real down and dirty streetfight vs Saxons or Vikings. Gorgeous maps, more on the way. Recommended.
  13. Apr 12, 2014
    this game is so much fun and challenging it makes you hyped and prepared for everything and its full of entertainment and different modes and different classes and you can make your own character also and own loadout.
  14. Nov 10, 2013
    2/10 for me at 200+ ping. Cant hit a thing. Very slow to attack, dodge, etc. Awkward controls with having to press left mouse button and a direction for the mouse at the same time, which sends your view all over the place. Looks nice though. If only it had enough players in Australia to make it worthwhile. Maybe come back in a year after official release.
  15. Dec 6, 2013
    After playing a demo for the game "War of the Roses", I thought I would never go near any of their other games. But when I heard about the "Viking" theme, temptation set in and I bought it. After spending a good amount of time with the alpha and some of the beta, I can tell you that this game is absolutely abysmal. This game relies on good mechanics and gameplay to make it what it is andAfter playing a demo for the game "War of the Roses", I thought I would never go near any of their other games. But when I heard about the "Viking" theme, temptation set in and I bought it. After spending a good amount of time with the alpha and some of the beta, I can tell you that this game is absolutely abysmal. This game relies on good mechanics and gameplay to make it what it is and yet almost every aspect is broken, makes no sense or just generally doesn't work or is very bad. It's hard to put into words how bad this game is and why because there are just so many reasons. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. BUY CHIVALRY IT'S NOT PERFECT BUT IT'S A FAR CRY FROM THIS CRAP. Expand
  16. Jan 31, 2015
    War of the Vikings is a major step back when compared to its predecessor. This game is buggy with very little customization and latency problems. It is no surprise to me that this game is dead. War of the Vikings is just a waste.
  17. Apr 17, 2014
    this game is sadly only a bad downgrade from war of the roses with much less depth, customization and content. the only "good" things are the slightly better graphics and maybe for some people the slightly faster combat. besides that the game is sadly inferior to its predecessor war of the roses and to its competition chivalry.
  18. Apr 22, 2014
    This is, after all, a dumbed-down version of War of the Roses. Not a single important problem from the predecessor or the alpha has been solved. Netcode still sucks ass, the game is laggy and freezes randomly from time to time. Do yourself a favour and watch Total Biscuits video on this game.
  19. Dec 10, 2013
    Giving this game a 0 because it does not deserve a user score greater then 4 at best! The combat system is fun and interactive but that wont save the game in the long run!

AVOID THIS GAME AT ALL COSTS. $20 is a complete rip off for this game. It is the exact same cloned game of their previous but with vikings in the title and slightly different combat animations. LOOK WHAT HAPPENED

AVOID THIS GAME AT ALL COSTS.

LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER GAME (war of the roses)
    It was all fine and dandy at the start (if you neglect all the many glitches bugs and issues with servers) but soon after, there were ridiculously pricey weapon packs and the game turned into "spend money to be the best". War of the roses died when this company neglected it and started with their new project (war of the vikings). You can download a free copy of war of the roses and see for yourself!

This game will follow the same fate as war of the roses. The company who developed this game is "fatshark".......rofl how ironic?!

Save your money and look elsewhere!
  20. Oct 16, 2013
    Have a reason for choosing this game because Viking and the name seize out it.
    There is a good game in the others to this type.
    There will be no need to choose this.
  21. May 14, 2014
    This game requires skill, patience, experience and living in a country which isn't too far from the servers.
    I say the worst thing about it is the lack of servers in some regions of the world, and the regular connection problems (which now are less frequent). I think Fatshark is working on it.

The key to this game is to parry effectively, to be able to mislead the opponent when attacking and to move wisely.
    This game is all about "reading" the opponent. Each player has favorite movements, most of the times he will attack and defend following a pattern (or a combination of favorite patterns) , that's a weakness that can be exploited, all you have to do is to remember and anticipate those patterns, so you can counter them. Your shield is only good at blocking projectiles, in combat you'll need to use your weapon in order to parry. Shields are nearly useless in hand to hand combat, don't rely on them because they don't block sword and axe blows most of the times.

To become a good WOTV player, you'll need to translate your ideas into movements flawlessly and instantly. You'll notice that movements in this game are triggered differently from most other games, since you have to click first and then move your mouse towards the desired direction. This can easily become a problem. It's very easy to move your mouse a little bit to the left or to the right when trying to move it up, or when trying to move it towards any other direction...this usually means death in War of the Vikings, so it's very important to be precise with your mouse movements.

You'll also need to make sure that your internet connection is working at maximum performance (fast connections are recommended). Your distance from the servers is also important, the farther you are from the server, the worse. I recommend to use FRAPS in order to monitor in-game fps, if your fps drop under certain conditions (too many players around), lower your video settings and resolution and turn off vertical sync (in my case, vertical sync caused important fps drops under certain conditions, so I turned it off...fps have never dropped since).

Now let's talk about what's good in War of the Vikings.

Do you like the idea of enemy squad members running away from you after you've cut down all their mates? Do you like the idea of chopping heads off using massive two handed axes and other weapons? Do you like the idea of coordinating with your team mates in order to kill enemy squads or to take control points? Do you like the idea of being able to customize your characters, their weapons, outfits, perks and shield paints? Do you like skill-based games where performance is everything?

If you like those things, you'll probably like War of the Vikings.
  22. Apr 27, 2014
    This is war of the roses .. unfortunately with the same bad netcode , without horses , one attack direction removed ( dumbed down ) .. and parry delay
  23. May 6, 2014
    It's a lot of fun if you're into the Mount and Blade-style combat system, and it is indeed a nugget of enjoyment if this period of history interests you. However, the game is still buggy; it's a clone of War of the Roses; and most importantly, good luck finding a server that's not located somewhere in the arctic circle with an elderly bearded man in a row-boat carrying information packetsIt's a lot of fun if you're into the Mount and Blade-style combat system, and it is indeed a nugget of enjoyment if this period of history interests you. However, the game is still buggy; it's a clone of War of the Roses; and most importantly, good luck finding a server that's not located somewhere in the arctic circle with an elderly bearded man in a row-boat carrying information packets inscribed in whale blubber between you and multiplayer. Because apparently that's what everyone's latency would indicate. Expand
  24. Jun 20, 2014
    A very good follow up to War of The Roses, TRY IT!! :

+ : fast paced combat, more balanced than WOTR, Arena and Pitched Battle modes are awesome, graphics/sounds are great, a unique multiplayer combat experience. Lots of choices of class and interesting gameplays since v 1.2!

- : some stabilities/optimisations issues, can be hard for newcommers, hitboxes sometimes feel weird.
  25. Apr 27, 2014
    Well it's not a perfect game but if you are in to skill-based hack 'n slash games it's actually pretty fun, I especially like that the games unlocks are purely cosmetic as this means that everyone is on the same playing field.
  26. Sep 29, 2015
    Un jeux super fun dans le quel on prend plaisir à foncé dans la bataille avec une Hache a deux mains, une épée et un bouclier... grand plaisir aussi avec les archers trouver une bonne position pour tirer sur l’ennemi à distance... vraiment super amusant ce jeux, j'espère qu'il vous plaira et que du contenue sorte pour ce magnifique jeux de simulation de bataille à l'ancienne !

1. Jul 14, 2014
    War of the Vikings provides gamers with entertaining and hectic online multiplayer combat that ultimately suffers from a slow unlock system and lack of unique gameplay features.
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Even after release, War of the Vikings is still at the Early Access level in terms of balance, variety and net-code.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 12, 2014
    War of the Vikings is faster than War of the Roses, but otherwise makes all the same mistakes. Almost fun, but if I want to stare a bunch of gauges, I play flight simulators. Copy melee from Dark Souls, please. [June 2014]