6.8

1. Aug 29, 2013
    The game is still in beta phase and about 33% completed, there are dozens of bugs and shortcomings, Gaijin is a terrible company that won't listen to feedback and won't implement a way to turn off chat completely, even if asked by the users, with Gaijin systematically censoring any dissenting opinion found within their own forums.

Inside the game, the game masters are non existent and
    it is a fest for trolls and grievers, balance is hopelessly broken and alternative inputs other than mouse do not work well, interestingly enough, Gaijin thought the most precise aiming device, the mouse, requires aim assists, putting anybody using a controller or a joystick at a tremendous disadvantage. Expand
  2. Dec 2, 2013
    Fun game, nice graphics, well optimized but let down by expensive pay to win content (crew training, qualifications) which are a must-have in higher tier games. Good for maybe 20-50 hours, any more and you will need to choose between paying or losing. Pretty abusive community/staff too.
  3. Sep 12, 2013
    I was mislead in thinking that this game was a simulation when I read it won a 'simulation of the year' award. So I gave these people a good chunk of money thinking that it is a good simulation. It is not. It is a terrible simulation and a poor game.
    There is nothing historical about it as they claim you end up in a battle with a Spitfire MkI in the Korean war fighting Russian
    pilots and planes.
    If you like to play with a joystick don't get this game. You are outmatched by their mouse aim system, that is accurate but wobbles all over if played in Historical Battles.
    I asked the developers when they are finished with the beta and was told that War Thunder is a perpetual beta.
    The Gaijin company is a very poor company with a bad attitude towards its customers. They are rude and dictatorial. They censor the forums heavily.
    This game has or had potential. It is about 33% of what I would like to see. I therefore give it a solid 3 out of ten and the graphics are very nice. Otherwise I would give it a zero.
  4. Nov 24, 2013
    No way is this the best war flight simulator. I bought the Steam package to get access to the 2 campaigns offered there. The "campaigns" are just cut scenes from a movie. "Cut scene" before mission. Take off, "cut scene", before engaging target "cut scene". Tired of having my flight interrupted by this nonsense.

To be able to fly certain aircraft for a side such as the U.S You start
    with a lower tiered aircraft such as the P-26 Peashooter. You gain "XP" as you successfully complete mission etc, When you have enough xp
    for a level you gain a new level, unlocking a few new aircraft you can fly.

If you want to fly for the British, Japanese or Russians you have to start at level 1, just as above, and gain
    xp one level at a time until you unlock all the aircraft.

If you want to fly full real battles, be prepared for a wait.

If you want to gain xp faster, you can pay to get premium account usage which will gain xp faster for you.

When I logged on to write this, there was maybe 35 people on, mainly in the arcade battles. If you want
    arcade action this is the game for you.

Had this been a paying mmo, with all the cut scenes taken out of the campaigns, xp done away with, and all the planes opened to the player base, even keeping the arcade, historical and realistic aspects of flight,
    maybe I'd have subscribed, but I'm forever done with this frustration.
  5. Aug 24, 2013
    The keyboard/mouse flight controls are dumbed down and frustrating no matter which scheme you choose. Even trying to tweak to a custom scheme does not satisfy. Attempting to play around with the controls in tutorial mode was a no-go since the tutorials quickly restart if you do not achieve the objective within a set time. The UI is a cluttered mess. I had absolutely no fun trying to get into this. Expand
  6. Nov 18, 2013
    Pay to win, got robbed, stopped that stupid game.

For some reasons I though this one was different when free to play tries to become less pay to win and for some reasons WT decided not to listen... Like they do with their community...
  7. Sep 21, 2013
    Another Russian pay to win game just how freaking fabulous is that?

They simply copied the greedy wargaming games down to a tee business model and all even nailed the website it really is pretty hilarious and make no mistake about just because there's no gold bullets or other insane whale extravaganza this time around does not make it any less of the same old pay to win core mechanics
    to the bones so this will without doubt make the pay to win crowd a bunch of sad little whales.

The imbalance between tiers nations gold planes premium accounts is at the very best incompetent at worst it's the same old you'll get so frustrated getting owned by horrendously overpowered whales that you'll pay up in the hope that the game will even out for a while or get better sometime down the road but it wont I promise you as it is in fact broken by design as generating maximum profit is what pay to win games are all about while hiding out under false pretences.

It's quite funny how they get away branding these games as MMOs when all they are is first person shot em ups only close resemblance they ever had to any MMOs is the massive grind and the price point is straight up fairytale like now take Guild Wars 2 a real MMO that you can do for like 40 bucks which is a very fair price point while you'll have to pay infinity more for this half baked copy pay to win title if you don't like to waste double infinity time as whale fodder that is and yes you the player happen to be the actually game content remember thou it's just a money game in the end and that's no fun.

One XP point granted for single player missions.
  8. Aug 30, 2013
    It is visually nice, but there are some flat out game breaking bugs that they refuse to fix. They have good ideas, But poor implementation. This game needs alot of work and has great potential if they do not get greedy. It's clearly in beta phase, perhaps only 20-30% done. I still hold out hope that this can be a great game, right now it is subpar and would not recommend it to my friends.
  9. Dec 10, 2013
    Some good elements but the fun ends quickly when you are constantly getting destroyed by your own team-mates or suddenly have your pilot knocked out without any apparent reason. Needs a lot of polish to controls, menus, and general game play.. Too often will you rage quit this game because sudden death that occurs without explanation or without any apparent warning.
  10. Dec 20, 2013
    The most negative thing about the game is it's developer's team. It seems they accidentally managed to create a really nice and interesting MMO, filled with great ideas, and then started destroying those ideas one by one.
    The bugs are being kept foe ages. New patches bring pain. No, PAIN! The planes' characteristcis are being revised all the time, and not only the flight model, but also
    the amount of money they earn you. Even the premium ones. So if you buy a plane with your money be ready, that one day it'll turn into smth completely different.
    Ah, and the community management! Zero criticism tolerance.
    Enjoy the "Wargaming products killer"!
  11. Dec 20, 2013
    This game had a lot of potential last year, but the developers have ruined it.
    +good graphics
    +different game modes
    +a lot of planes
    +really nice mouse aim
    -grind
    -pay2win
    -no end game content, just endless grind
    -grind again with new economics and progression system
    -matchmaking and balance
  12. Jan 26, 2014
    This is a game that makes me want to cry with frustration, because every fiber of my being WANTS to like this game. To get some perspective, I am a long term flight sim fan who has played everything from Air Warrior to Aces High to IL-2 Sturmovik to the old Jane's sims and more. I LOVE flight sims and at first glance this one looks to be everything I could ever want. Healthy stable of planes? Check. Wonderful physics and plane handling? With one or two low-tier examples, checkaroo. Well-detailed? Holy mother of heaven this makes IL-2 Sturmovik look like a mod of the original source engine and runs amazingly well. Mission structure? While I'm not a big fan of furballs, it does them well and I can respect how it has it set up, so call that a check. The levelling system, while in need of tweaking, is still a decent enough system that takes the general World of Tanks/Warplanes formula and makes it a little less unpleasant when an un-liked vehicle stands in the way. They had literally everything going for this game, but it slips up on one little detail but one so vital that they basically slipped and fell into a pit of poison tipped spikes: the camera.

I am utterly convinced that deck chairs have gained some semblance of sentience, because sweet mother of Heaven, there is no other explanation for how atrocious the camera was designed here. See, the issue here is that the camera was designed for a mouse and keyboard interface, which is nice and all but you need to also have a system that functions for the joystick and game pad crowds--the former of which will be HUGE groups attracted to this. So why it is that they've been given the cold shoulder BAFFLES me. Your common flight sim uses a hat-switch-based system to turn your pilot's head in each of the forward directions with the forward hat button being for up and forward and another button to act as an upward modifier and--if you really want it--another for down. This is a simple system that covers all of the appropriate directions and gives you a perfect spherical view within your cockpit, barring any obstructions that the actual plane would have had. So instead what joystick users have is a bizarre thing that tries to make a hat switch mimic a mouse, removing the entire rear-right quarter of your view, a fair chunk of the left rear, severely limiting the up-left/right views, and most criminally of all, doesn't even have a forward-up view. I sat down and compared it to IL-2 Sturmovik's camera (which eschews the direct rear just to show that it's your character looking over the shoulder) and it is missing seven head directions! Seven!

For those who are not privy to flight sims, this basically leaves you wildly open to enemy attack--you don't know where the enemy is coming from and as such can not react quickly enough when, say, an enemy is diving on you from an angle behind you. And these are COMMON situations. Hell, I have a hard time keeping track of planes that I'm chasing at times. As such, I am utterly incapable of effectively fighting because I'm always getting mulched by assorted pilots hitting me in one of my far too numerous blind spots.

There are a few other little problems, such as the sort of 'advisor' in the radio chatter being a touch grating and some of the early biplanes being a bit heavier-feeling than they should be, but all that pales in comparison to the simple fact that this game should have been glorious, and instead found itself murdered by such an easy and proven portion. All they had to do is throw in a hat-based system alongside the mouse-based one, that's it! I have nothing against mouse pilots, there are some good ones and I respect anyone that can do it, but as a game designer you need to think of all the factors! I'm not about to relearn how to fly for one game and when the people playing tell me that that's the only way to properly experience the game, then my response is that I'll find somewhere else to fly.

I hope to God that someone gets their brain in gear over at Gaijin Entertainment gets their brain in gear and fix this, but as of right now my only emotion around this game is pure exasperation and rage. This game should have been one of my favorites, instead one tiny aspect has shattered the whole thing. It is a very good thing that this game isn't a physical copy, otherwise I'd have to explain to my plumber why there's disk parts in my garbage disposal.
  13. Nov 30, 2013
    i have spent 25 minutes, just trying to get into the game. 13 minutes went to waiting for the stupid thing to download the patch. 10 minutes went to some stupid thing called an outdated video driver. 2 minutes went to being speechless.
  14. Pbs
    Dec 20, 2013
    Version 1.23 War thunder was a really promising game.
    Version 1.27 Things getting worse
    Version 1.29 Beginning of the End
    Version 1.37 Rest in peace, WT. Rest in peace...
  15. Sep 3, 2013
    VERY VERY DIFFICULT MY MIND BLEW UP IGNORE IT VERY TOUGH I GETS STUCK VERY MUCH. NOTHING LIKE TANKS PLANES NOT AS SHINY OR FUNNY AND HAPPY OR FREE I HATE FREE TO PLAY GAMES. SILLY RUBBISH VERY HARD NOPE PLEASE IM STUCK HOW DO PLANES FLY? IS IT MAGIC?
  16. czg
    Mar 10, 2014
    This game is a ripoff. Micro-transactions are actually rather 'macro'.
    If you want to get your crew a bit better you may try to gain experience, but that comes so thinly that after days of fights you may at best progress 1% towards one fully upgraded crew. And you need more than one crew to play. Then there is the experience where free XP can only be used for progression after you pay
    Golden Eagles, which can be obtained for cash only. (unless you are BFF with the developers)
    So I thought £50 would get me neatly ahead. Wrong, wrong, wrong. It was gone in a level or two; I was still stuck with crap planes. But, hell, you can get an F-86 on the end, and I'm no quitter, so I've payed again and again... and I ended up on blowing around £200 on a game that was actually a crappy flight sim.
    Okay at this point you will say that it's just because I am a crap gamer. Which could be true, however the crap community, the returning frustrations proved otherwise. After 3 months one supposed to show some progress after all, shouldn't he? But then, after getting really upset at the game I have uninstalled it. Then, after 4 months I thought I would give it a last try, I would just log in to check my account and see if anything changed for the better. And this is what put me off of this scam forever.
    My crews plane skills were gone. Basically all the planes that I purchased were suddenly non-flyable, unless I spend another £50-100 on purchasing new skills. Due to the constant modifications and 'perpetual beta' all the progress I had were annulled.
    I've learned my lesson. Coming from Hungary I know it's a well-established Eastern European ripoff. You'll end up paying thrice. The 'perpetual beta' is the perfect excuse to constantly hinder players in any progress and rip them off with the promise of better content that will never materialise.
    Do not spend a single dime on this game. It is a ripoff and a scam. Rather try Guild wars 2 or SWtOR; or buy Flight Simulator, X-Plane, or Lock-on Modern Air Combat; all of them way cheaper and better both as games and simulators.
  17. Dec 18, 2013
    Don't like this game at all. Arcade mode is poor and others are complicated for me. Interface is awful!!!!! Girls would not like this game.............
  18. Dec 24, 2013
    War Thunder started in 2012 with good intentions. Great graphics and clouds lots of clouds. I played it through 3 major upgrades(patches). Each patch version has degraded the original game. Lately they have consolidated the competition levels and increased the dollar cost of playing while nerfing plane and bomb performance. What was a fun game has suffered a greedy makeover. Players are up in arms. If you haven't already bought into this game avoid it. There will be better games soon. Expand
  19. Mar 4, 2014
    This game f-ing horrible, from the ridiculous grind (where even worse than WOT, the only way to use "free experience" is by paying), the obnoxious russian bias both in air combat and ground combat, it feels like the developers are compesating for something, with russian planes that were a piece of crap in the war being the most undertiered, over armored, best armaments, best speed,climbing and turning compared to other nations and the developers could care less, they will just ban you for stating the obious bias.What else we got, oh right, an cannon centric game where mgs are the most useless weaponry out there, 7.7 feel like BBs and 12.7 even with incendiary ammo fail to do any damage to fighters ( God forbid bombers then) while cannons tear wings and tails in one salvo at best ( unless you deal with horrible networking where all you get is sparkles from hitting an enemy).

Then we have bombers being **** carrying small loadouts ( unless american or russian), vulnerable, slow and incompetent AI that even with maxed crew can't hit a plane 100 meters behind it and don't forget that if they fire, from the constant "gunner unconcious" to reloading a mg which take more than one minute( even more than BOMBs!).Then you flight models and damage models, some planes downright suck at flying, can't turn, climb or throttle, you are easy picking while there are plenty of UFOs out there (especially russia) that also have a generous DM, granting the ability to soak ridiculous amount of bullets and sometimes cannon shots( just take a look at youtube, it is filled with evidence on it), for instance japan has piss por armor and equipment, can't dive well, can only turn fight good at low atitudes with Zeros( their fighters also suck, with exception with the first one with its UFO nature), can't take one shot from anything and have guns constantly jamming while the glorious slavs with their wooden planes can take any punishment, have miniguns that hardly jam.Another point, this game is very anti-german just like WOT, germans have horrible planes that can only BnZ if you dare try making any turn your plane loses all control( not only that but germans have horrible early tiers, if not one of the worse) while any one faction can with no problem BnZ and turn fight ( lets not count the Stuka and its paper mache tail).

There is far too many to say, but to resume, this is a scam game, you pay to progress( sometimes it is the only way to get good planes), you pay for "backup" planes( the same op plane can be used twice), you'll suffer at the frustating mechanics as g-force in every turn making your scream go black and losing your target, you'll be ramed all the time by friend and foe, but the worse part is the without a doubt the before mentioned balance, it is just so bad you'll start to see every slav( count WOT with its "Stalin was benevolent" crap) as some sort of brainwashed loony.

Do a favor, stay far away from this time consuming, frustating scheme
  20. Jan 12, 2014
    +physical model of flight and damages, +quite realistic airplanes performance [in realistic and historical mod] (specific for each plane, it makes player closer to real, historical technical specification of each plane) - some mistakes are still there, but I hope they will be solved during game progress. +graphics/sound, - bad research model (after last patch), - bad economy model - it is still beta and it seems that it will stay like that for a long, long time...

I'm giving low rate only because of research/economy model which is very annoying now.
    Anyway, it is F2P game so all of us can check it and decide if it is worth of playing and paying for premium content or not - that is positive side I guess.

21. Dec 25, 2013
    patch 1.37 destroyed a good game.

It cost over 500% more to get a new plane. It takes over 200% more time for a new plane

i had a lot of fun in the game and i paid premium account, but now they are like day time robbery
  22. Dec 26, 2013
    Recent patch has turned a once fine FTP game into an horrendous grind Broken matchmaking compressed tiering systems and very miserly reward for effort have turned it into a strictly pay to progress exercise.
    Blatant greed on the part of the developers have turned this once brilliant game into a cynical money making exercise
  23. Jan 17, 2014
    This game has nice graphics yes but the gameplay is terrible. It is so unbalanced and such a scam. Its not f2p its p2w (pay to win). Even after this its a graphically nice game but the logic and balancing is just terrible and they just make it worse. Not to mention such a waste of time. The amount of time you have to put into it, its not worth the "fun" your supposed to have...

I
    love ww2 era history but this is just a big money scam and a waste of time.

There is no ingame options to change graphical settings and not much towards any hardware configuration in game. Even for a beta phased game this is a must have instead of closing it down and changing settings on the launcher.
  24. Feb 14, 2014
    This game will forever be in "beta". Developer Gaijin relies on funding by an impossible grind where you are forced to fly certain planes in an esoteric order, and to do that you will either be stomped a lot or pay. The more they patch it, the more bugs get introduced, could have been a good game. Get Wings of Prey instead.
  25. Apr 7, 2014
    Game is decently redundant. The staff are horrendous, to the point I would not advise spending one dime on the game. Unless you want to risk losing everything you purchase if you espouse political views that differ with the Game Moderator staff. Only one of the seven staff-members responded to my questions professionally. I actually was threatened to back off of a question for "my own good". What? Now they threaten me with a blanket statement of possible harm? Ok, done with this game! Do not recommend for anyone pro-US. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    War Thunder, is a little gem on its way to become a diamond. Any aviation or second world war fan should have War Thunder on his PC or PS4.
  3. Oct 17, 2013
    Don’t be fooled: even if it's a free to play game, the qualities of War Thunder are so many that the game stands up as the new reference for flight and combat simulations.