8.2

1. Dec 26, 2012
    Wargame: European Escalation is a very, very good RTS. It may even be the most 'realistic' one on the market, as apart from real-world units, you have to monitor things like fuel usage, ammunition, and morale. Instead of basebuilding you open and secure supply lines, and instead of harvesting resources you have to outplay your opponent. Tactics are paramount; if you don't thoroughlyWargame: European Escalation is a very, very good RTS. It may even be the most 'realistic' one on the market, as apart from real-world units, you have to monitor things like fuel usage, ammunition, and morale. Instead of basebuilding you open and secure supply lines, and instead of harvesting resources you have to outplay your opponent. Tactics are paramount; if you don't thoroughly recon a sector, an enemy hidden in the forest will eat your carefully upgraded troops for lunch. The devs have also been continually supporting the game with free DLC. Really the only things that prevent me from awarding a 10 is the overabundance of farmland maps, and a lack of air support (you have helicopters, but no jets). Expand
  2. Mar 13, 2012
    A really fun game! There's deep strategy involved, and this game is unlike any other I've played. The goal is to not lose expensive units. Even pushing an enemy all the way back to their base may result in a multiplayer loss, if you lose more command points than the enemy. This results in some matches, where the battle is still raging while the game is won by one team or the other.
  3. Feb 26, 2012
    Far far far too many units, for a start. When you hover your mouse over you get an alphnumeric codename that will leave you scratching your head, so it's very hard to remember what you're up against. Something like over 300 unit types to get your head around - I'm all for diversity but this is insane! Singe-player missions are tactical, but having limitations to the number of units you canFar far far too many units, for a start. When you hover your mouse over you get an alphnumeric codename that will leave you scratching your head, so it's very hard to remember what you're up against. Something like over 300 unit types to get your head around - I'm all for diversity but this is insane! Singe-player missions are tactical, but having limitations to the number of units you can have per game is really unfair. You get points and then you can spend them, let's say on a bunch of tanks. Now imagine they all get creamed in some well-oiled computer ambush, then tough luck you can't buy them back, you have to use some other unit type. Makes me miss the old base-building malarkey of C&C and SC2 somewhat. I also, personally don't like how you can't see any enemy units on the battlefield at all until they are in firing range. At least with RUSE you could see where the units were, even if you didn't know what they represented. So, what this means is that you have to keep sending out recon units everywhere, and of course as soon as they see a tank or something equally dangerous, it gets blown up. So effectively you mass your army and send them out completely blind 90% of the time. Ok, now for the maps - they are ok, but far too samey, I guess I would have liked to have seen more diversity. On the plus side the game runs really smoothly, and despite my criticisms it is fun to play. It's a hardcore realistic military-RTS that delivers some interesting tactical situations you wouldn't normally find elsewhere. However, I have to say that having units that run out of gas/petrol, although ultra-realistic, is just darn annoying. Expand
  4. Apr 23, 2012
    Loved this game, may be the best RTS I have ever played, like others have stated if you want fast paced matches this may not be the game for you but the detail and options at your disposal for each map is incredible.
  5. Feb 24, 2012
    I have a fairly useless reputation in my own mind when it comes to RTS games, favouring the now rare Turn Based Strategy games. Saying that, I have most RTS games in my collection including the C+C games, Warhammer series, CoH series and Starcraft amongst others. In all of those games, I have had rare forays into multiplayer which I pretty much gave up on after a few embarrassingI have a fairly useless reputation in my own mind when it comes to RTS games, favouring the now rare Turn Based Strategy games. Saying that, I have most RTS games in my collection including the C+C games, Warhammer series, CoH series and Starcraft amongst others. In all of those games, I have had rare forays into multiplayer which I pretty much gave up on after a few embarrassing defeats. So, why did I but this game? ..................................................I did a fair bit of research into this game before its release. I didn't play the beta and took my opinions from the game's website. I still wasn't convinced until on the day it released I found a link on the Steam forums to an hour long video on Youtube (The devs ought to give this guy a free copy as I'm not alone in making my judgement off the back of this guy's half dozen videos). This showed me how simple but deep the game was. How easy it was to pick up and play, yet be interesting enough for both casual and hardcore players. Also pleasing was the inclusion of a fully fleshed out single player campaign, which I am working through right now and it is not only helping me learn how to play but is giving me unlocks which I can take online in multiplayer later.................................................Graphically the game is very nice. It is simple but well detailed and has a feel of realism when fully zoomed in. Saying that, zooming in and out is flawless for me with no stuttering which is suprising considering my rig is becoming ancient (Q6600@2.9ghz; 4GB DDR2 RAM; AMD6850; W7 64BIT), it plays on maxed out settings (low HDR) @ 1920x1200, and achieves a constant 60fps with VSync on......................................................In single player, you are able to save the game pretty much whenever you like which is another rare thing in RTS games, with most only saving after each campaign map is beat. Overall I think first impressions after around 5 hours of playing are that the game is not as difficult as it first seems. Give it a chance and a few maps and you will start to click with what needs doing to win. If you are an old fart like me, you will maybe enjoy the pace of the game, although I'm fairly certain that in multiplayer it will be a bit faster paced. 8/10. Expand
  6. Feb 24, 2012
    Suprisingly fun game. Much slower paced than a game like starcraft, the game engine is awesome, i never get tired of the zooming levels. Lots of units, lots of strategy and the slow pace means an online game is more based on your tactics and choice of units, than how many clicks you can do per minute. Highly rated!
  7. Jul 6, 2013
    How hard it is to forget all strategy games you ever played? It's generally really not easy, until you spot this Wargame. Then you forget every other game during first few minutes, and you will refuse to play anything else for weeks.

That is, if you are a person who likes strategic thinking.
    Do I have to say more?
  8. Apr 17, 2012
    Great strategy game, very underrated. I have not played with other people yet but fighting with your friends against the computer or fighting against your friends is awesome. After I level up a little more I'm definitely giving ranked games a try. Also single player, though not very long is quite fun.
  9. Feb 11, 2013
    No a horrible game, but I couldn't really get into it. It was very slow and had little player control. I can control where the units went, but they would just derp about and get sniped by enemy tanks in bushes. I wasn't a fan of the call off map units with some points I earned.. I'm more into the traditional RTS.. Wasn't my kind of game.
  10. Apr 19, 2012
    Its a great game but its way to hard for avarage gamers, also the hardware you need to play it is just insane. It reminds me of an awesome game world inconflict.
  11. Mar 11, 2013
    Totally worth the money, a lot of strategic thinking is required, spamming will not let you win like other games, it's the first game where I do not have to go on the forum to cry about unit imbalance!
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    my first online rts game,it is very hard to start,have a tough start,a very important reason i like it so much is it update,fix and improve even 1 year after,fix the atgm,and make tank stronger,make it playable,now only a few game can do that,COD is a counterexample,few months,then just leave it behind,make me never buy any of it for sure.this make wee has more competitive power,for now imy first online rts game,it is very hard to start,have a tough start,a very important reason i like it so much is it update,fix and improve even 1 year after,fix the atgm,and make tank stronger,make it playable,now only a few game can do that,COD is a counterexample,few months,then just leave it behind,make me never buy any of it for sure.this make wee has more competitive power,for now i know only valve and Tripwire Interactive can do so well.
    people like kick low levels,but after i play better,deep into it,i understand why,it depend too much on experience,sometimes i dont want see too low levels too,sometimes i would rather teach them,but not just win,everyone has a start,respect the new players,u was like that too,but some people like kick for no reason,these just no manner people live just to make other sick.
    another big problem is some people like escape ,when think may lose,then leave,make the whole team suffer,hope system can give these players a punish,at least a small one,the other player can make them can not connect to their game,so u will not lose anything,but can aviod them.
  13. Feb 19, 2013
    Thing that ruined the game for me was the online experience. Invested over 50 hours in this game before coming to this conclusion. Online hardly requires tactics or team work. Players simply unit spam or arty spam and camp. No cap on artillery units either. Nearly every game i played was just a mass spam of one unit. Another thing that bothers me is the vast size of the unit tree, halfThing that ruined the game for me was the online experience. Invested over 50 hours in this game before coming to this conclusion. Online hardly requires tactics or team work. Players simply unit spam or arty spam and camp. No cap on artillery units either. Nearly every game i played was just a mass spam of one unit. Another thing that bothers me is the vast size of the unit tree, half the units are so alike there is no need to add so many different variants. So complicated at times that it would confuse some of the most hardened RTS players. Maybe grab this during a Steam sale.. Expand
  14. Oct 14, 2012
    Game is confusing and unintuitive. All in all meh would be the word I would use to describe it, This game is a far cry from micro and tactics of games like starcraft, company of heroes, command and conquer, or end of nations. I guess if your a ruse or men of honor man this might appeal to you but I would rather play just about anything else.
  15. Jan 3, 2013
    Wargame has a base for greatness, but cant really get around some of the flaws in the game, the interface arent that great, the lack of teaming units like eg. in starcraft or almost any other game is really frustrating.
    The developers also seemed to be hooked on missions that is with a time limit in singleplayer, wich for me is a big turnoff. If you expect a game where you can drink your coffee, and watch a movie while you play then you will stop playing 1/3 way throug the singleplayer missions. I am glad i bought it on sale, not full prize. Would i buy it again? I am not sure, even on sale.
  16. Jan 18, 2015
    In game, there're 361 historical military units, which's possible to manupulate, with detailed specifications. What else do you need further? If you're military maniac. just don't miss it.
  17. Jan 18, 2013
    I haven't played this game much i wish i could but text is to small its good RTS game alot of fun with friends No real bad points but does take a while to understand and master but well worth the time investment if your into RTS games
  18. Oct 20, 2012
    Very difficult solo missions, just the way you feel fully satisfied when you accomplish it. Choosing how to spent the stars you earn in the previous mission to unlock new weapons (vehicles/tanks/infantry...) could be tricky because you can't undo it and have to live with it once you made a choice.
    Nice graphics if you choose to go down from the eagle view where you spend most of your time.
    Didn't try multiplayer yet, but with solo I have had much fun.
  19. Aug 7, 2014
    This game is an obvious ripoff to World in Conflict / RUSE but is needlessly slow and boring, where you have to manually adjust everything like an autistic sloth, among many other annoyances, in which I could go on about all day. This game somehow got attention through steam-hype and mysteriously gets a drastically unrealistic user rating presented here. The entire Wargame franchise isThis game is an obvious ripoff to World in Conflict / RUSE but is needlessly slow and boring, where you have to manually adjust everything like an autistic sloth, among many other annoyances, in which I could go on about all day. This game somehow got attention through steam-hype and mysteriously gets a drastically unrealistic user rating presented here. The entire Wargame franchise is quite bland, it doesn't even bring solid graphics, which would alleviate the mundane burden of control and actually make the game worth putting up with. Please keep in mind that the graphics here are not even on par with games that are 7 years older than this, but rest assured that it's the gameplay that ultimately ruins it. Although simpler and more arcade-like, World in Conflict is much more fun. More "depth" (lol) does not necessarily equal more fun, especially in the case with the Wargame series. Expand
  20. Jul 14, 2012
    Amazing RTS, very realistic and full of details, the graphic engine is pretty amazing lets you zoom in and out of combat and see the details on the terrain that's amazing

on the other hand it can be confusing at the beginning but you learn to play in the 1st 2 missions, game needs a tutorial though.

I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys RTS, specially realistic RTS.
  21. Oct 22, 2013
    It's an awesome game. I had a lot of fun playing it. Amazing graphics, and they did an incredible job with the mechanics. The only reason why I don't give it a 10/10, is because it doesn't have a tutorial and I had to view video-tutorials on youtube. That's 2 points off.
  22. Feb 25, 2012
    This game is the successor to RUSE, which is quite noticeable because Eugen used Iriszoom again to create enormous battlefields. They have fixed some issues there were in RUSE, such as the placement before battle to avoid rushing. You could call the game the opposite of Starcraft: not a fast game on a small map, but a slow game on a large map, giving you a lot of time to think about yourThis game is the successor to RUSE, which is quite noticeable because Eugen used Iriszoom again to create enormous battlefields. They have fixed some issues there were in RUSE, such as the placement before battle to avoid rushing. You could call the game the opposite of Starcraft: not a fast game on a small map, but a slow game on a large map, giving you a lot of time to think about your strategies. But you still need to react fast to enemy movements and these facts are making the game almost one-of-a-kind (WIC had much smaller battlefields.) The game is maybe quite hard to learn for people who are new or average at RTS games and the multiplayer matches may be slow at some times, but the simple-but-effective campaign and the creativity of Army Deck creation make this game a must-have for RTS fans. Expand
  23. Feb 25, 2012
    Pro's: Satisfying graphics, Addictive multiplayer and great build your own customized army concept. Cons: Occasional crash and for those new to strategy, a slightly steeper learning curve.

Opinion: Definantly buy Wargame: Eurpoean Escalation. I found myself playing for hours constantly trying to upgrade and build my army to get a leg up on online opponents. I am looking foward to future DLC and even more units to incorporate into my army. Great job!
  24. Sep 1, 2012
    This is not an action oriented RTS game like Starcraft or Command & Conquer. Instead, it focuses more on the strategy elements. It has lots of units (really lots of units) and a deep strategic and tactical focus.
  25. Mar 13, 2013
    A true RTS game based within the last 30 years. Modern day units have been lacking in all rts games since C&C Generals. Though C&C is coming back they went with a cartoon looking futuristic approach. Leaving Wargame EE to take the place as the only Modern Day RTS game. And wow dos it do a perfect job. This game is not only a modern day RTS but its a Simulation RTS. It's hard to put downA true RTS game based within the last 30 years. Modern day units have been lacking in all rts games since C&C Generals. Though C&C is coming back they went with a cartoon looking futuristic approach. Leaving Wargame EE to take the place as the only Modern Day RTS game. And wow dos it do a perfect job. This game is not only a modern day RTS but its a Simulation RTS. It's hard to put down and a great online community. Expand
  26. Oct 22, 2013
    Grande gioco, ma veramente difficile!
    Questo non uno strategico per tutti...

Interfaccia non molto "user friendly", ma per il resto accurato e divertente.
  27. Feb 27, 2012
    A very good tactical game for all those who do not only want to build, rush kill, build rush kill... Finally a game where recon matters, positioning is important and you have a feeling that you are on the battlefield. A very good multiplayer helps to keep the game a alive. Multitude of units make it possible to create any army you feel like. The whole game is more real then any other RTS IA very good tactical game for all those who do not only want to build, rush kill, build rush kill... Finally a game where recon matters, positioning is important and you have a feeling that you are on the battlefield. A very good multiplayer helps to keep the game a alive. Multitude of units make it possible to create any army you feel like. The whole game is more real then any other RTS I played in a long time. One of the best RTS of the last years. Expand
  28. May 26, 2015
    Great tactical depth and huge emphasis on effective positioning and scouting.

Great tactical depth and huge emphasis on effective positioning and scouting.

Unfortunately the AI is incompetent and will happily rush into your killzones. The campaign design has (over)compensated by giving the AI a huge numerical advantage (and no difficulty options). As a result some scenarios REQUIRE replaying to learn all the AI's actions and saving/reloading when things don't go your way. I gave up after basically getting stuck in two campaigns. (In the DLC campaign the devs have for some reason disabled the save function.)

There's also just too much to do in too little time. Units pick their own targets but still need manual positioning, and positioning is all-important. An infantry unit just inside a forest will be spotted and destroyed; further in and he'll lay an effective ambush. But you don't have time to properly position so many units while managing air assets, recon, logistics, and manually targeting every artillery strike. There are no speed options and you can't do anything while paused (even look around).

Buy RUSE instead. The pace is slower and micro is less intense. The campaign is also much easier, though the AI is every bit as stupid.
  29. Mar 17, 2012
    Wargame should come with a disclaimer that says, "WARNING: NOT FOR GIRLIE MEN." This is a real time strategy game that isn't afraid to throw you to the wolves and whose missing tutorial is made up for only by a skimpy game manual and a few text pop-ups during the singleplayer missions. Early on you're given a few tanks and recon vehicles and expected to maneuver and fight your way toWargame should come with a disclaimer that says, "WARNING: NOT FOR GIRLIE MEN." This is a real time strategy game that isn't afraid to throw you to the wolves and whose missing tutorial is made up for only by a skimpy game manual and a few text pop-ups during the singleplayer missions. Early on you're given a few tanks and recon vehicles and expected to maneuver and fight your way to victory, using trees as cover and attacking the enemy with vehicles that have better range. The first few times you'll probably completely bomb and feel embarrassed, but the more you play, the more things will "click" and the better you'll feel about yourself and the game. There are many unique elements at play here. This isn't just another "Amass army of tanks -- Send them forwards -- Win" strategy game. Every unit has essential roles on the battlefield. Battle tanks are excellent versus small armored vehicles but hopeless versus attack helicopters. Recon units can spot enemies from great distances but often lack firepower and therefore require you to send in "attack dog" units to flush out and crush the revealed enemies. Infantry are excellent at performing forest ambushes and even demolishing tanks if they catch them by surprise, but out in the open they're mostly cannon fodder. To make things more interesting, units also have their own limited supplies like gasoline and ammunition. If you've never played a real time strategy game in which vehicles run out of gas and ammo, you're in for a surprise. The counter for this problem comes in the way of supply vehicles like trucks and even helicopters. If you hadn't already guessed, though, even those units have limited supplies and must resupply at forward bases. There is a lot at work in Wargame and you'll always have your hands full managing your units both in and out of combat. Like R.U.S.E. and World in Conflict before it, Wargame also throws base building and resource gathering mechanics out the window in favor of spending points earned during matches to purchase new units. Reinforcements arrive in specially designated areas of the map that are captured by sending in lone "command" units. If you want them to arrive without having to drive across Wargame's huge maps, you'll need to send a command unit to capture a zone relatively close to the major combat areas. I could go on and on about why Wargame is so captivating and unique but like most strategy games, it isn't perfect. The user interface is one of the clunkiest I've ever used and its poor designs plague even the game's numerous menus. Overall, if you're a war gamer seeking a challenge and anticipating battles consisting of hundreds of infantry, tanks, helicopters, and more across gorgeous, gigantic landscapes, Wargame: European Escalation is one that's more than worth checking out and potentially the most underrated modern war real time strategy game in a long, long time. Expand
  30. Apr 6, 2012
    I found this games to be quite hard for a casual RTS gamer such as myself, it at least took me 2 tries to get past the very first level and at least another 4 to get past just the second. I soon ended up saving at least every 3-4 mins in campaign, even at some points I came simply to the point of rage quitting, but for some reason i found the sensational urge to pick up again as if I wasI found this games to be quite hard for a casual RTS gamer such as myself, it at least took me 2 tries to get past the very first level and at least another 4 to get past just the second. I soon ended up saving at least every 3-4 mins in campaign, even at some points I came simply to the point of rage quitting, but for some reason i found the sensational urge to pick up again as if I was the equivalent of an abused spouse coming back for more. the I realized what this game was for me The Dark Souls of RTSs where the achievement of overcoming and solving some of the hardest challenges I've personally faced in this game gave me more satisfaction than most other games I've tried in the last 5 years. If you don't not have this game already I suggest picking it up on steam for the modest price of $40. Expand

1. May 20, 2012
    A solid tactical simulation of armored warfare 1975-1985 whose real value is in the multiplayer mode.
  2. May 11, 2012
    Eugen Systems put the "real" back into RTS. The result is spacious, subtle, deeply satisfying tactical gaming. [June 2012, p.84]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 25, 2012
    Over-complicated tactical-strategic RPG is way too fast and complicated for the beginner while unsatisfactory for any advanced gamer. [Apr 2012]