8.9

1. Oct 10, 2012
    After playing DoW: Retribution and loving it a friend told me this game was also pretty good, and quite frankly, this game exceeds Retribution, True, last stand is a great and fun game mode, but this game is so much more. While retribution's campaign is lackluster and feels like all you do is build a deathstar, this game rewards ingenuity, and each match feels like multiplayer. AnotherAfter playing DoW: Retribution and loving it a friend told me this game was also pretty good, and quite frankly, this game exceeds Retribution, True, last stand is a great and fun game mode, but this game is so much more. While retribution's campaign is lackluster and feels like all you do is build a deathstar, this game rewards ingenuity, and each match feels like multiplayer. Another great addition to campaign is AI's that fight back, something that was so lacking in retribution I was only able to complete a paltry 3 campaigns.
    In review: great game, good replay value, still has O.K. graphics despite being 6 years old
  2. Ndi
    May 14, 2013
    Probably the best DOW ever, rivaled by only the original. Excellent replayability, interesting races, and a good overall campaign and story. Last good one before adding insanely detached races like sisters of whatthatwas and ruining the experience with DOW2.

Not a 10, however, because it has some downsides: Cutscenes are lazy. Every time something interrups the speaker, you can hear the person finish the sentence and exhale, waiting for a second bfore he is "interrupted". Animations are poor in cutscenes, and they dulled the razor sharp units. Shackled creation of elite units, dulled damage. The low damage makes sharp painful combat be a long, dull, drawn out engagement, much like WC3.

Also not a 10 because they are already slacking on the factions. Necrons are beautiful, but Tau is lazy, with many units being very similar in appearance. Too long range, overpowered when in AI hands that micromanages.

But, with a nice, replayable, boss-fight campain it is one heck of a game. Too bad they didn't polish it a bit more. Better voice acting and cutscenes would have made this and incredible game. Also, they nerfed the Dreadnought. Pity.
  3. Dec 27, 2013
    what can i say about this game? it happened to be the first game i played on pc and it is really hard to describe it... it.... MAN THIS GAME WAS F*CKING AWESOME!
  4. Mar 31, 2011
    Top of the line as far as strategy games go. It works like risk where you attack once a turn, but instead of rolling dice you battle rts style. The game focuses on proper squad management over infrastructure, and you really get rewarded for great tactics instead of memorizing hotkeys. You can spend points on various upgrades like elite units or boosts similar to what you'd find in risk,Top of the line as far as strategy games go. It works like risk where you attack once a turn, but instead of rolling dice you battle rts style. The game focuses on proper squad management over infrastructure, and you really get rewarded for great tactics instead of memorizing hotkeys. You can spend points on various upgrades like elite units or boosts similar to what you'd find in risk, and while the campaign doesn't really have much story since the other factions can win or lose at any time, its certainly a fresh look at the genre. Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2011
    Excellent strategy game for those who are bored with StarCraft. This is the best Dawn of War game in my opinion and exceeds Soulstorm and the Dawn of War II series. The gameplay is unique and refreshing to say the least and the graphics are pretty damn good for a 2006 title I recommend this game to anyone that enjoys the 40k universe or RTS in general.
  6. Sep 1, 2011
    When I got Dawn of War, I was instantly hooked. I then Proceeded to get Winter Assault. Even better! But failing to find Dark Crusade, I turned to Soul Storm, which is the let down of the series. A year later I get Dark Crusade. From the second I picked it up, I noticed something. This was much better than Soul Storm, an alleged improvement. Nowadays, with Dawn of War already up to theWhen I got Dawn of War, I was instantly hooked. I then Proceeded to get Winter Assault. Even better! But failing to find Dark Crusade, I turned to Soul Storm, which is the let down of the series. A year later I get Dark Crusade. From the second I picked it up, I noticed something. This was much better than Soul Storm, an alleged improvement. Nowadays, with Dawn of War already up to the second expansion of Dawn of War 2, I STILL prefer Dark Crusade. It has a terrible balance, however, because most races are better at fighting than others, and some are just weak until WAY down the research chain (I'm looking at you IG, with your strong as paper infantry, and crazy strong tanks). Still, Dark crusade forced you to sometimes lose a province to destroy a stronghold, which has always made me double-check every move I made. In my opinion, this could never be as tedious as Retribution (It's the same map and enemies 7 times, woo hoo?). Expand
  7. Apr 12, 2012
    An excellent expansion, and a great standalone game in its own right. Dark Crusade provides a tremendous amount of content at a stellar price. The game gives one the choice of any of seven distinctive, well-balanced factions for use in a campaign on a Risk-style map. No two factions play alike; this, coupled with the fact that each faction's individual campaign is tailored to its backAn excellent expansion, and a great standalone game in its own right. Dark Crusade provides a tremendous amount of content at a stellar price. The game gives one the choice of any of seven distinctive, well-balanced factions for use in a campaign on a Risk-style map. No two factions play alike; this, coupled with the fact that each faction's individual campaign is tailored to its back story, makes successive playthroughs of the game feel like new experiences rather than stale repetitions. This gives the game immense replayability. Needless to say, the gameplay is a lot of fun as well, and the campaigns are structured such that the battles fought therein do not feel repetitive.

Fans of Warhammer 40K will love this game. I suggest to anyone that they buy Platinum Edition (the original Dawn of War plus Winter Assault and Dark Crusade) so as to get the entire experience, but if you must choose only one of the series, Dark Crusade is your best bet. 10/10
  8. Jan 14, 2013
    This is, by far, one of the most fun RTS games on the PC. The gameplay isn't balanced for competitive play, and the graphics are getting dated, but the great 40k lore and loads of interesting units more than make up for its shortcomings. If you can find a used copy somewhere, or it happens to be on sale on steam, grab this game ASAP.
  9. Jan 18, 2014
    this is not just one of the best rts games ever made it is also one of the best all time games ever made.
    this is a must buy for warhammer 40k fans and rts fans
  10. Apr 27, 2014
    Really the best Warhammer 40k strategy game. I just like the necrons and the gameplay (espacially the multiplayer). If you like Strategy games this is a must have ...
  11. Dec 25, 2011
    I seldom give perfect scores, but Dark Crusade deserves one. It's campaign replayability value is incredible (the dialogues between army commanders shine) and there are good times to be had playing this game online with mates. A standalone expansion with 7 playable, pretty balanced races and it should be cheap as dirt right now. If you don't own it, just get it. I'm serious. All-around,I seldom give perfect scores, but Dark Crusade deserves one. It's campaign replayability value is incredible (the dialogues between army commanders shine) and there are good times to be had playing this game online with mates. A standalone expansion with 7 playable, pretty balanced races and it should be cheap as dirt right now. If you don't own it, just get it. I'm serious. All-around, it's the best DoW to date. Expand
  12. Mobius
    Nov 6, 2006
    have to say that this third game is perfect. i love how the necrons seem invicable and the fighting units are unable to capture stratagy points, this is much more a tactical game with plenty to offer.
    Jan 6, 2007
    The best RTS to come out since Starcraft. Each race is different and VERY unique which makes it interesting to play because race can be chosen by the style in which you play. I heard good things about it, got it, LOVED it.
  14. EricB.
    Aug 9, 2007
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade; such a long title, accompanied by such a great game. With seven races to play, who all play in a unique way, there's a little something for everyone in this game. Already a great RTS, Dawn of War has solidified its position at the head of the pack by delivering solid game play with massive armies trading savage blows using everything from Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade; such a long title, accompanied by such a great game. With seven races to play, who all play in a unique way, there's a little something for everyone in this game. Already a great RTS, Dawn of War has solidified its position at the head of the pack by delivering solid game play with massive armies trading savage blows using everything from pistol wielding Commisars to bombardment from outer space. With very little resource micromanagement (you simply take a strategic point or build a power supply building, then solidify it's fortifications with pretty straightforward upgrades) it's a game that is very easy to pick up and play, or to embark on a world-spanning conquest of the six other races that inhabit the world of Kronus. For owners of the original Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, this expansion pack is a MUST HAVE, and for anybody else... well this expansion pack is still a MUST HAVE, you won't be bored anytime soon with so much to do. Expand
  15. PaoloDC
    Aug 3, 2008
    Grat Game! Very funny and easy to lear. The multy is more difficult but it is fun! Only the video aspect is not perfect, all the other it is!
  16. ChrisD.
    Oct 14, 2006
    A fantastic expansion to an already fantastic game. A bargain at twice the price, it's a steal at $29.99. The addition of two complete new races and new units for the existing races is great on it's own, but the new campaign mode is superb! Plenty of variety to be had here, with seven completely different races, plenty of maps to play on, and plenty of customization. A fantastic expansion to an already fantastic game. A bargain at twice the price, it's a steal at $29.99. The addition of two complete new races and new units for the existing races is great on it's own, but the new campaign mode is superb! Plenty of variety to be had here, with seven completely different races, plenty of maps to play on, and plenty of customization. There's a lot of game to be had here. Expand
  17. PatE.
    Oct 15, 2006
    The best RTS game hands down! Go out and get your copy too!
  18. JohnD.
    Oct 20, 2006
    I wonder the one who said this game is poor. I need reason because I don't see it at all. By the way,this game is awesome.
  19. Arno
    Oct 25, 2006
    I just love this game, the addition of the Necron is just plain good.
  20. OreoJ.
    Oct 25, 2006
    If you don't like this game, go play Desperate Houswives.
  21. DakotaS.
    Oct 25, 2006
    I've never been much of an RTS fan, but this game is starting to win me over. The SP campaign lets me choose my own path, and I really dig the commander upgrades. IDidn't even have to buy the original game to play it. Best 30 dollars I ever spent.
  22. RoyJ.
    Oct 25, 2006
    One of the best games out there right now! The tau stronghold is something born from my most pleasent of dreams!
  23. Chris
    Aug 10, 2007
    This game is great fun with lots of races. although you cant play online with original races without buying the previous games, be happy that you can actually own the game without needing to but the old ones. at least this isnt an expansion pack right?also necron arent rigged just get anything good against heavy infantry. notice that necron dont have any normal infantry at all?
  24. RobS.
    Aug 8, 2007
    Absolutely amazing game, the combat is intense and the races are so different from each other despite how many races there are (I am using this game as an expansion to the first two). This game is a lot of fun but it can get a little repetative and that's the only reason I didn't give it a ten. If it expanded a bit more into the units and tech trees so that by the end of the Absolutely amazing game, the combat is intense and the races are so different from each other despite how many races there are (I am using this game as an expansion to the first two). This game is a lot of fun but it can get a little repetative and that's the only reason I didn't give it a ten. If it expanded a bit more into the units and tech trees so that by the end of the battle I hadn't done everything I could it would be better. Expand
  25. FlaviuM.
    Sep 14, 2007
    Kind of dissapointed .... in the originall dow a god of darkness escaped but they never continued that storie too bad... oh well dow dark crusade is super cool i hope they piece together some of the stories in the versions . Cheers mates.
  26. JoelS
    Jun 19, 2008
    A nice expansion to a nice game.. The two additional teams are very unique and all, (as are the other teams) and so are the new maps and units each team aquires. Unfortunately, as with the other DoW games, I have found it to get extremely repitious with time. So, I find myself turning the game away for months at a time, and upon playing it again, find it extremely enjoyable. I only wish A nice expansion to a nice game.. The two additional teams are very unique and all, (as are the other teams) and so are the new maps and units each team aquires. Unfortunately, as with the other DoW games, I have found it to get extremely repitious with time. So, I find myself turning the game away for months at a time, and upon playing it again, find it extremely enjoyable. I only wish it were so enjoyable for extended periods of time. Expand
  27. JohnV
    Apr 5, 2009
    Fantastic game. If you like Real Time Strategy games, I have no doubt that you will love this game.
  28. JonB.
    Oct 22, 2006
    One of the Best RTS since Starcraft, a must have title.
  29. JonD.
    Oct 25, 2006
    I love this game! Relic/THQ did an awesome job on the new single player "RISK" style campaign, the graphics are wicked, and it only costs $29.99 for an entirely new game! I can't get enough!
  30. MarkA.
    Oct 25, 2006
    It's hard to see how the subject matter could possibly have been brought to life any better. The new races on offer here offer interesting scope and a great new angle on things while staying true to the Dawn of War formula. The single player has been taken to the next level, the multiplayer is even closer to perfection. My only real gripes are with the fairly uninteresting vehicles It's hard to see how the subject matter could possibly have been brought to life any better. The new races on offer here offer interesting scope and a great new angle on things while staying true to the Dawn of War formula. The single player has been taken to the next level, the multiplayer is even closer to perfection. My only real gripes are with the fairly uninteresting vehicles and the ease with which Necrons can crush weaker opponents. Expand

The campaign mode is absolutely interesting and fits wonderfully within the Warhammer 40,000 universe. It's a great beginning to something that we're sure will be bigger and better in the future and provides a ton of gameplay hours and exciting moments.
  2. An enormous amount of top-drawer content for $29.99, and newcomers may rightly mistake it for a full blown sequel. Highly recommended.
    By adding more stuff for you to admire and kill, and more places and ways to do it, Dark Crusade gives the already lively Warhammer RTS universe even more life, personality, blood, and meat. It's a gory, giddy delight, with more depth and gameplay than ever.