Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III PC

4.7

1. May 3, 2017
    Really enjoying the game great graphics and animations. fun and interesting units. lack of 4 vs 4 and minimal maps is disappointing but I am sure that they will add more maps over time. this game is not a moba the people saying this must of never played a moba before
  2. May 2, 2017
    This game's 3 factions are very well developed and distinct, each has a number of hero units and "doctrines" (basically buffs for certain units which you may choose from) that can alter the way you play the army. The design allows for a lot of experimentation, and after 30 plus hours, I'm still excited by all the things I want to try out.

The gameplay contains base building and resource

The gameplay contains base building and resource management but it takes a back seat to control of frontline combat and this is where the game really shines. I love Starcraft but my pet peeve is that most games are won or lost with no real micro, people seek to win without engaging your army whenever possible. That is basically impossible in this game. I have had more epic battles in one weekend with this game than a month with SC2. Massive units, abilities getting thrown everywhere, frantic dodging, if that sounds good to you, this RTS is for you. It is still possible to lose quite quickly if you commit your early forces to a bad engagement and they are wiped out, this leaves your opponent with complete map control which is difficult to recover from.

There are some shortcomings with lack of customization of UI, limited map number, and game modes, hopefully, these will be addressed with patches and DLC, but even if that doesn't happen I'm comfortable saying it was well worth the purchase as I had to tell my wife we won't be doing anything next weekend either since I need to fit in another 30 hours.
  3. Apr 27, 2017
    觉得做个DoW1或者DoW2重制就能销量口碑双收的是有多天真...传统rts玩法早就被证明没有出路了,守旧等死不是现在需要的东西。
    DoW3这次主打的合作多人对战,基友开黑贼好玩
    游戏上手难度中上,主要记忆单位比较重要,操作要求比一些传统rts要求要低,手残问题也不大 游戏中后期对刚特别热血,打着打着能吼起来233 测试期开过几次黑后就再也停不下来了,就自己感受到的欢乐程度我就要给8/10+分。
    觉得做个DoW1或者DoW2重制就能销量口碑双收的是有多天真...传统rts玩法早就被证明没有出路了,守旧等死不是现在需要的东西。
    DoW3这次主打的合作多人对战,基友开黑贼好玩
    游戏上手难度中上,主要记忆单位比较重要,操作要求比一些传统rts要求要低,手残问题也不大
    游戏中后期对刚特别热血,打着打着能吼起来233
    测试期开过几次黑后就再也停不下来了,就自己感受到的欢乐程度我就要给8/10+分。
  4. 2MB
    Apr 27, 2017
    DoW1 RTS + DoW2 Action = DoW3 Great game.
    This is 2017 Best RTS Game!

This game is Unorthodox RTS. But this is game style is very trendy RTS.(Action-RTS Battle Style!!)

I'm really like it.
  5. Apr 28, 2017
    Its a good game, not revolutionary but if you love WH40K you will dig it. I don't understand all the hate. They are going to stop making WH40K games if something this solid gets panned for no good reason. Sad.
  6. Apr 27, 2017
    I have been playing RTS games since 1993 with Dune 2 and playing Dawn of War games since 2004, i played most of the huge RTS in high competitive level, and what i can say about Dawn of War 3 is that it is the most fun RTS i have EVER played! Units are responsible and the Elites give a lot of fun to the game!
  7. Apr 29, 2017
    You guys should stop your nonsense hate-train.
    Yes, there are some problems.
    Yes, towers, cores and generators are not the greatest idea ever. Dunno why didn't they just add defensive structures to workers and few relic points per map to build heroes. Domination mode would be great too. Yes, it's not what some of you (including myself) were waiting for. As for me, I was hoping to see
    You guys should stop your nonsense hate-train.
    Yes, there are some problems.
    Yes, it's not what some of you (including myself) were waiting for. As for me, I was hoping to see some modern mix of COH & DOW1.
    And yes, I hate starcraftish type of gameplay, RTS should follow "strategy>tactics>microcontrol" formula, not "micro>timing>all".
    BUT! It's still a very solid and fun to play game. Like other modern SEGA releases it will be more polished after a few months. And you must not kill potential player base with your broken dreams, tears and ****
    Modern games can change drastically from patch to patch, from expansion to expansion. So don't bury DOW3 alive.
    For now it's pure 7/10 (+3 to bring some justice against all that hate). And I hope to see future of that game with more factions, units, modes, maps, heroes, doctrines and mechanics.
  8. May 3, 2017
    The only reason I'm even bothering to write a review for this game is that, to put it blatantly, it's gotten a massively unfair reception.

Basically, this game is everything I expected from Dawn of War 3, and I enjoyed it greatly. The story is classic Dawn of War and very well written, the soundtrack is utterly amazing - the Ork theme in particular stands out, but the other two factional themes are amazing too - and the gameplay is a fun evolution of the previous games that, controversially, blends MOBA elements into the gameplay as "Elite units".

What I'm more or less saying is that anyone who's bombing this review with a review score of "0" and saying it's not true to the license or franchise hasn't actually played the game, and you really should free your mind from the bandwagon and reach your own conclusion - which will most likely be that, if you played DoW 1 or 2 or are just a fan of the 40k universe, it will be worth your time.
  9. May 3, 2017
    Don't let those people with nostalgia bring you down. This is a great on its own with a lot more content coming soon. It's fun and rewarding. Love playing 1v1 and even more 3v3
  10. Apr 27, 2017
    Ignore the haters. This game is great. It is a good mix of DoW 1 and DoW 2.

People are just living in their dreams, when they think a remaster version of DoW 1 would sell.
  11. Apr 27, 2017
    Short version: Game is great and worth its price.

Longer version: Game is surprisingly getting pretty bad reviews and being compared to MOBA games... It's still a strategy game and a really great spinoff of the genre but somehow people feel the urge to put everything into a certain basket just for the sake of it - it's like calling internet browsing a point and click adventure game
    Short version: Game is great and worth its price.

Longer version:
    Game is surprisingly getting pretty bad reviews and being compared to MOBA games... It's still a strategy game and a really great spinoff of the genre but somehow people feel the urge to put everything into a certain basket just for the sake of it - it's like calling internet browsing a point and click adventure game just because you're discovering new stuff behind hyperlinks and you're using a mouse and then writing that it's a bad game. If people expected DoW 1, 2 or Starcraft 1/2 they should stick with those games and not crave for a graphically face lifted remake - this is a new game and a really fresh and great one at that.

For now I've played only the multiplayer and from what I've seen the game is great and far better than DoW 2 and I even prefer it to DoW 1 (and Starcraft franchise - just putting it here since people like to compare it even though SC2 was a great facelift while Relic really evolves the genre). I've read some reviews that game is far easier than DoW 2 multiplayer - apparently that's a bad thing. It is easier and less chaotic due to less upgrades so I can enjoy it even without deciding to get a second (unpaid) job as a game player - I already have a day job and I play strategy games for fun so this game strikes a really great balance between being entertaining and strategically demanding.

The cover mechanics are completely revamped and I'd say it's a great change since it works better for this melee/long range combat combination - previous cover system is IMHO great for CoH shooting only franchise but for DoW franchise it wasn't as good (that's something I took away from playing DoW 2).

With hero units while they are strong they only feel overpowering if you're loosing the game and have to take down one of them with 2-3 squads that you have left so not something that is terribly wrong... In all other cases they mix up the gameplay really well and are a nice strategic addition (when should you call one of them in, should you wait for the points to accumulate and call in a stronger hero or start with the weaker one etc.). They also don't feel overpowering in fact I was surprised at one point how fast Solara fell during retreat due to lack of support units. Also when they take damage you quite often have to retreat them back to main base since they heal faster there and during that time they're out of commission so that's just one additional strategic element that's really greatly incorporated into the rest of game - hero units never stand out too much so they really feel like a core game element and not just something strapped on at the end.

Regarding the comparison to MOBA genre the game does have three heroes that you control along with the rest of your army and there are points that you have to destroy in consecutive order to win and that's really about it... Hero and consecutive objectives... And even those parts don't match up with the definition of MOBA genre as defined on Wikipedia... I've already described the hero mechanics and for the objectives they are just focus points so that you have to prioritize between attacking/defending resource points and the objective points - just another strategic element nicely incorporated into the whole.

Base building is also really great as you have to decide between placing a building more towards the main building or deeper onto the battlefield - balancing between fast reinforcement unit deployment and safety of the buildings - so the buildings are just like resource and objective points something to fight over. Spread out base building really adds to the dynamic gameplay and not just attacking one and the same spot on the map all the time.

I'd recommend this game to all people that like great innovative strategy games.

And for the nostalgic bunch please stop writing bad reviews just because you're not able to relieve your childhood feelings - that's the point of old games and this is a new game with great mechanics and gameplay so it should be judged based on that not your nostalgia.

Relic is a great company that I have allot of respect for because unlike most other companies they don't just do a facelift on an old game but always give out a fresh new game - they have the balls to experiment and take the trash that whiny entitled nostalgics dish out. For me the previous DoW 2 was not as good as I expected it to be because there were too many upgrades so multiplayer felt like work but unless they experiment we don't get great new games like the one that came out now so writing a critical review is good but just bashing because game X is not a copy-paste of game A, B or C is just messed up.

The bottom line is that this game is worth its price on its own and the cherry on top is that buying it supports a great company that really moves the RTS genre foreword so they'll be able to bring out future games that are not just a copy-paste of old titles.
  12. May 5, 2017
    Dow3 is far more competitive that dow 1 and 3 together. Hell its about time for this kind of big Step im my loved RTS genre. Thanks Relic for this great game.
  13. May 7, 2017
    Are you guys going to quit with lying? The game is not a MOBA, it doesn't sell OP heroes/elites for the real money, and you CAN play offline, just not getting XP or the in-game currency (for which you are buying new Elites). Who are these people talking straight outta their backsides, have you even sniffed the game? On Steam reviews its holding 60%, sure that the community is divided dueAre you guys going to quit with lying? The game is not a MOBA, it doesn't sell OP heroes/elites for the real money, and you CAN play offline, just not getting XP or the in-game currency (for which you are buying new Elites). Who are these people talking straight outta their backsides, have you even sniffed the game? On Steam reviews its holding 60%, sure that the community is divided due to being different than its previous instalments, but the majority is liking it. Just showing whos hating and creating bunch of bot accounts to downvote the game. Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2017
    Nice RTS, spent already 25 hours in the Beta.
    Calm down haters and put your pink glasses away!
    Everything in the Past was good, bla bla bla.
    This game deserve love :)
  15. Apr 27, 2017
    Game industry have to evolve.It is just inevitably.
    DoW3 single realy nice still 2+ hours. Cuts made with style and really atmospheric.
    Some people just forget that grimmdark isnt only a visual part - history makes grimmdark as well as visual.
    Played in OBT for 6-7 hours and really enjoy this battles.
  16. Apr 27, 2017
    I'm enjoying it a lot, mostly been playing the campaign.

Seems a bit silly everything being rated as either 10 or 0. I played DoW 1 and 2, but mostly the campaigns which I thought were good. However I feel with this game I might give multi player a go. I guess most of the bad review are due to it not being the same as the older games. So if you weren't into the older games
    I'm enjoying it a lot, mostly been playing the campaign.

Seems a bit silly everything being rated as either 10 or 0.

I guess most of the bad review are due to it not being the same as the older games. So if you weren't into the older games massively you might, like me, think its a good game. If you are a massive fan of old games then maybe read the negative reviews and try and work out if the things they are saying really bother you.
  17. Apr 28, 2017
    Great Game and Good implementation. 10/9

Single and Multiplayer very dificulity
    Grafic and wolrd very good.

Bad thing Too Small Race pool
    And Map Pool.
  18. Apr 28, 2017
    This negative review flood happens every time there is a warhammer related release. This does not actually reflect the quality of the game.

This is the best competitive RTS to come out since Starcraft 2. If you have no familiarity with the 40k series and you want to play a multiplayer RTS, then buy this game. It is NOT a moba. I have played a lot of Moba. This is a ridiculous

It is NOT a moba. I have played a lot of Moba. This is a ridiculous statement. Try it for yourself and see. It is a micro intense and very rewarding skill-based RTS.

These complaints are from DoW2 fans (I was one of them!) who are mad this isn't DoW2.5. They tried something different and it definitely payed off. Half of these bad reviews are straight up trolling (like no sync kills, the game is a moba, blobbing works, no cover, etc.).

Try the game. If you like RTS for multiplayer, you will definitely like this game.
  19. Apr 28, 2017
    Dow 3 is an revolutionary game, it's getting alot of hate for nothing. People giving it 0 score for trying something new. This same thing happened with dow 2.

After finishing the singleplayer on hard, it was good 10-12 hours of playing and well it wasent perfect campaign but it wasent bad either, i'd rate the singleplayer like 7.5-8 out of 10. But dawn of war is mostly about multiplayer and that's where this game shines.
    Firstly elites are a wonderfull addition to the series, nothing beats the feeling of droppin an sneaky kommando on enemy or an imperial knight.

The cover system is getting a lot of flak from dow 1-2 players and while i didint like the change myself either but i now know why they made it. The game becomes so hectic with giant armys that cover system wouldn't get any play, and elites are powerfull in the late game so you need keep an eye on ur units to keep them alive, instead of putting them to afk in some ditch like in dow 1 .

Skillcap, is alot higher than in dow 1 and dow 2 . No lame retreat (oops made a mistake ) button that gets you out of trouble. You need to keep an eye on ur troops and keep them scattered or else an elite like wierdboy will wipe them out. This brings the skillcap to high and i like it very much.

Only issues that i have had with the game are some audio things but im sure those will get patched, now to play more multiplayer and wrek heretics. 9/10 game but im forced to give 10 to counter all those salty dow 2 players giving it 0 for having no cover or difirent graphics.

TLDR: game has minor flaws, haters giving it 0 score for sucking in the game. learn and adapt
  20. Jul 8, 2017
    Good alternative for SC2!
    Definitely the best of Dawn of war series!!!
    E-sport potential (Sync Kills, special attacks and retreat mechanic has been removed THX GOD!!!)
  21. May 9, 2017
    My background: I bought DoW soon after release, and bought DoW2 on release.

Firstly I want to say that this game is NOT always-online. The people who say that are flat out lying. You can play any of the singleplayer content offline. However, you won't earn skulls (more on that later). The game has 3 races which are more unique and varied than in the previous games, with more units
    My background: I bought DoW soon after release, and bought DoW2 on release.

The game has 3 races which are more unique and varied than in the previous games, with more units and unique mechanics. Some units still have upgrades, but most of the variety is in the fact that nearly every unit has multiple active and passive abilities. Each race also has a whole slew of doctrines (upgrades which you can pick and swap before each match) which change how units work, adding new effects and sometimes entirely new abilities. This greatly adds to the depth. In the campaign, 3 more races make cameo appearances (one is after the credits).

The base buildiing is minimal (similar to DoW1) but is a welcome addition, making the game feel like a true RTS. There has also been a return to large armies, which can get much larger than the previous games. However building placement is still important as buildings are where units reinforce, and provide other benefits like increased speed and shield regen (Eldar) or Waaagh! buffs and scrap (Orks).

DoW3 is much faster paced and units die faster than previous DoW games, though not as fast as something like Starcraft. Preserving units is still important, especially in the early game, as reinforcing an existing unit is much cheaper than building a new one. The action is truly fun and frenetic with a strong focus on unit micro. Blood, gore, dismemberment, explosions, persistent wrecks and bodies all play a part in the visual spectacle.
    The elite units are powerful and may require some balancing, but can be countered by spreading your units out to avoid AoE. Unsupported elites (especially early game elites) will die quickly. The large super units are great fun when they finally come out in the late game. There is no more fiddly directional cover from DoW2 (I can't imagine having to micro 20 squads into cover before each battle) instead there is capturable cover points which work like garrisonable buildings - these can be countered by melee units, flamers or just pure firepower.

The map selection at launch is quite small (8), though there is already a map editor available and people are already releasing new maps to download on steam workshop.

The campaign is action-packed, and you play all the races. The story is told in cool "freeze frame" cutscenes with minimal animation. But it is also quite linear similar to vanilla DOW1 or Winter Assault. You can choose different elites to play each mission, and each mission has side objectives - but there is no wargear. The story is entertaining but is definitely not award-winning writing by any means. If you are only buying for campaign, then I would wait.

The new multiplayer gamemode is a welcome addition as it prevents players (especially in team games) being rushed too early and losing a few minutes into the game, which isn't fun for anyone. However the game still encourages lots of early aggression to fight over resource points across the map or push early objectives. The reports of the game being "dumbed down" are garbage, as there is tons of strategy and nuance to be had - I can only assume these people didn't play for very long.

The game has a progression system where you earn in-game currency called Skulls. There is no micro-transactions, you cannot buy Skulls with real money. You use Skulls to unlock elites and doctrines, and in my experience the game is quite generous with handing out skulls. The campaign especially gives lots of skulls.

In addition, the elite units level up which unlocks doctrines, skins and rare paint colours. Again I found the amount of exp awarded pretty generous. It doesn't take long to level up elites to max.

BTW - the army painter feature is back, I had fun creating colour schemes for my troops.

The developers stated they intend to add a ranked multiplayer ladder system a couple of weeks after launch.

However, there are some bugs (I never encountered any gamebreaking bugs), and the menu UI could really use some work as it is unintuitive. Also the replay system is buggy and seems rushed. In addition as II said, the campaign is nothing to write home about.

The first two games were very different from each other, so Relic was never going to be able to please everyone. If you just wanted DOW1 HD, or DOW2 HD then this is not the game for you. If you just want to nit-pick tiny lore details, then is not your game.

But if you want to give a fun, action-oriented RTS a go, then you might like this game.
  22. May 10, 2017
    A great instalment in the series typical of Relic featuring solid features that were present in previous games but also introducing some new concepts. The replay-ability and strategy are deep and there si never any point in the game where i have felt there was no options for me - whilst i have had losses i know there were ways i could have won.

An excellent strategy title that continues

An excellent strategy title that continues the DoW saga. I would say many people are quite extreme in their response because relic weren't afraid to introduce a few new concepts. Ultimately this game has delivered all that i wanted from a relic title - i wasn't buying some rehash cash grab i was playing an excellent reinvention of a strategy game.

More on the game itself. Whilst balance is close this will always be tough to get perfect in a strategy game and i am familiar with relics dedication to existing titles - so i know this will need to go a little further and i expect they will support it. The game offers a tasty selection of units that you can build and some special units that you decide prior to the match to build your strategy around. Base building is key and decides the stance you will take, with some aggressive building strategies offering high risk high reward type payouts which is always appreciated in a strategy game with he aim of increasing pressure on the opponent. The battles vary from skirmishes into epic battles and often. The units can perform much more potently with a skilled hand, introducing a high skill ceiling but also act intelligently for the most part.

People state this game is MOBA like because it feature objectives to destroy, but i think those people need to remember that MOBA are a subset of strategy games, not the other way round.
  23. May 11, 2017
    Solid RTS with great potential for expansions and more of the 40k races being added to the game than ever before.

The game plays differently than any other RTS out there, and for good reason: it's not like any other RTS out there. The elite units harken back to Warcraft, the resource generation takes from Dawn of War 1, the race mechanics are unique and allow each race to play differently from each-other while still keeping a balance.

The gameplay paces itself very well, too, with Escalation phases in multiplayer that scale up aspects of the game as the game progresses. It's very difficult to rush cheesy units, because you simply can't afford them. They sort of made it so that everyone gets their natural resource expansions at the same time, but you can also deny your opponent from a large lead as well by controlling resource points.

I would rate it at 9.3 due to some bugs, but the fanboys from Dawn of War 1 and 2 and Company of Heroes 2 are dragging down these reviews to the point of inaccuracy. There are many steam reviews of people that played for 5 minutes, claiming the game is bad and is a MOBA: they are wrong.
  24. May 18, 2017
    I feel the game has been harshly criticised.
    The game is different - Yes.
    But does that mean it is a bad game? - No.

People need to look past the past and embrace innovation
  25. May 5, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pro: Single Player Campaign Story Telling and Art Wort, It's a Warhammer Game in the 40k Universe, the videos are good. Heroes like in WC3 but sadly no lvl Mechanic or skill choice at all. good fun in the campaign when you like storytelling and the MP part is fantastic, also you can expect a growing and healthy community like in the other dawn of war titles.

Contra:
    Some balance issues, some pathfinding problems.

Missing Content: Last Stand Mode, Coop Mode, Cover Mechanics, Tactics beside a bit micro.
    SP Part:
    Single Player Campaign to easy on the highest difficulty and sometimes it feels like a tutorial for MP the last missions have some challenges but overall it takes a lot of time since pop cap and limited ressourced to finish the missions savely, but you get a lot of experience for your elites and skulls. The storytelling and especially the ork part is awesome made. Sadly like in every RTS the AI in SP is not challenging or hard to come by, maybe in the last mission you need a second try. Achievement for finishing the Campaign is bugged but will be patched. Future dlcs will improve a lot also on the SP part.

MP Part:
    Right now MP has only 8 Maps. But the next patch will bring a few more, the community have already some maps out for the dow 1 fans with less core mechanic and a lot huger with more ressourced for big battles. The Modes are 3v3 2v2 and 1v1. The Game is balanced mostly atm for 3v3 next Month will come a balance patch and so overall the game will be more fun. The only Mode you can play is rush the enemy core. aka Ancient and win with turrets and shields protecting it. Early loses are hard punished by low income and lose of map control which further decrease the income so the enemy will stay ahead, and if you win the early its like a comp stomp in 90% of the matches. But thats due to all learn the game and mechanics you will soon see that the game itself is awesome and brings fun you can also make some real comebacks by countering units and enemy tactics. Splitpushing and such things. Income increase with Each Escalation Phase, and when you turtle you can actually make it back when the enemy don'T use his advantage correctly or you can finish the enemy when you have the advantage. You don't have the macro game like in SC2 with 2-5 bases and a lot of workers but that helps you actually to learn to master your micro if its is not perfect.

Game Pace/Pathfinding:
    the Pace is ok for an RTS! sadly the Pathfinding and reaction to your clicks are not always but relic will patch this soon. Sometimes your elite or normal units don't respond at all to a command or bug out, in 5% of the cases. This is heavily due to terrain issues or stuns when they channel an ability.

MP Games are decided in 60% of the matches in the first 5-10 minutes, comeback mechanic will help a lot if players get better and escalation buffs those with less units a bit more in income since you have the upkeep mechanic. You cant disband units so your eco will still be behind but with 1-2 good fights you turn the tide to your favour.

Bad for Competition:
    The Skull System forces new players in the future to do the SP and a lot of Mp Matches, to upgrade their "Elite" which act like heroes in WC3 without a lvl mechanic, and doctrines to even flash out 1 army to win vs people who have it. Limited balance see above. I hope this will be changed so you don't have to lvl up elited and farm skulls to unlock them and doctrines.

at the moment the game missing a lot of quality of life features like: Custom Key Binding, Better Zoom in/out, Better switch in control modes, faster scroll and a lot more.

Sega solved the DLC issue and is now mostly helpfull.

I changed my review to 9 from 10 cause i have faith in relic, they will deliver and they delivered in the past.
  26. Apr 30, 2017
    Its VERY GOOD RTS! No its awesome RTS! And YES it is Warhammer 40k! Haters is total slackers of what real good game is... I am from DOW 1 btw! And i got all dow 1 games. Belive me this game IS great!
  27. Apr 28, 2017
    DoW3 is a fun game. That's what is important. It inspires nostalgia of my teenage years playing Warcraft 3. Honestly, it has more in common with WC3 than any other game I can recall of at the moment (and don't tell me you didn't love Warcraft 3). Haters are complaining about the MOBA feel regarding heroes and specific structure points that need to be reduced. Warcraft 3 had heroes...DoW3 is a fun game. That's what is important. It inspires nostalgia of my teenage years playing Warcraft 3. Honestly, it has more in common with WC3 than any other game I can recall of at the moment (and don't tell me you didn't love Warcraft 3). Haters are complaining about the MOBA feel regarding heroes and specific structure points that need to be reduced. Warcraft 3 had heroes... Warcraft 3 pioneered MOBAs with its mods... Basically, DoW3 ripped off Warcraft 3, just 10 years later. I am okay with that because it does it very well. It's fast, it's fun, has lots of micro for the pros to show their skills, and is strategically challenging. The campaign so far hasn't been too inspiring sadly, but it still feels like a great Warhammer 40k experience all in all, which we really don't have enough of. Yes there are three races, but StarCraft has three races... and I am sure more will be released in the future, bless you Relic. All three are very well balanced though, and I would take quality over quantity any day. I have also seen hatred toward the lack of units. Well to that, the game contains the majority of the miniatures available to the hobby which is a great throw back for long time fans. I am also glad that the cover system from DoW2 has been removed. It didn't really work too well in that game; it works well in Company of Heroes, but didn't do to stellar of a job in DoW2 imo. It really is a good game though. Feels like Warcraft 3, Starcraft and DoW1 had an interracial Ménage à trois baby. A beauty of a 40k baby at that. Expand
  28. May 1, 2017
    Ignore the sheep. Spouting biased crap because they have to have something to moan about. The game is a good RTS, not perfect but certainly not worth the pathetic abuse that it has received so far. The people that claim the first Dawn of War has better graphics are either blind or have a severe case of nostalgia bias. Blah blah blah lets spam new accounts and down vote the game becauseIgnore the sheep. Spouting biased crap because they have to have something to moan about. The game is a good RTS, not perfect but certainly not worth the pathetic abuse that it has received so far. The people that claim the first Dawn of War has better graphics are either blind or have a severe case of nostalgia bias. Blah blah blah lets spam new accounts and down vote the game because my favourite youtuber doesn't like it. Expand
  29. Apr 30, 2017
    Overall I feel they did good with this game. I played a lot with DoW1, then also with DoW2. I think the latter was superior tactic wise and so I was sad about most decisions they made in DoW3, which went back to be more like the first game. Luckily the addition of hero slots and army doctrines actually make it quite nice. It is apparent to me that most people who reviewed the game soOverall I feel they did good with this game. I played a lot with DoW1, then also with DoW2. I think the latter was superior tactic wise and so I was sad about most decisions they made in DoW3, which went back to be more like the first game. Luckily the addition of hero slots and army doctrines actually make it quite nice. It is apparent to me that most people who reviewed the game so negatively did not play at all with the game. Not surprising that trolls are basing a game on the site, but it is quite ironic at times.
    Just to reflect on the few recurring **** mentioned:
    - The game IS dark.
    - Playing the single player campaign unlocks everything you need for multiplayer and more (so maybe play that first, although it's optional...)
    - The game literally has nothing to do with MOBA-s

Pros:
    - Graphics and animations are very nice
    - Customization of the strategy load-outs
    - Despite looking simple the gameplay is actually quite complex
    - Voice acting and sounds effects are cool
    - Some nostalgic characters return
    - It surprised me, but the story is actually quite nice and the campaign isn't repetitive
    - To complement the above I really dig the cinematic's style (a bit like battlefleet gothic)
    - Extremely useful UI

Cons
    - Only 3 factions
    - Despite I exclusively play with eldars not having chaos in a WH game is still heresy
    - The regular units (including huge ass tanks) die in seconds
    - It is VERY macro heavy, managing your base and every unit is quite hard, especially, because most units have their own abilities (the regular ones as well). Since the number of units fielded increased hugely and its a rock-scissor-paper style tactics you will be managing a lot of varied units at the same time not just one stack and right click. It's more complex, but sometimes I feel like an octopus with a seizure
  30. Apr 29, 2017
    I have never posted a review on Metacritic before but the childish 0 scores made me mad so i decided to post an honest, adult, opinion to hopefully balance out the bulls**t:

The game is a breath of fresh air to the series with Relic mixing up the formula once again. Having played both the first and second DoW games I was really excited to get my hands on DoW3 and thus far I have, for the most part, had a very positive experience.

Ill start with the negatives to get them out of the way:

- Lack of multiplayer modes. Don't get me wrong, I really like the mode they included which brings a nice blend of RTS with a touch of MOBA (really not as much as the kids on here would have you believe though), but on launch I would have hoped for more variety - fingers crossed this will be introduced in future DLC perhaps. Last stand would be great to have back!
    - The Elites system confused me a bit at first, the UI for the page and tutorial for it was a little hard to swallow at first but I have since figured it all out
    - This last one is just personal preference and not necessarily a negative, but I find the fact it jumps between all 3 races every time you get to the next mission a bit disjointed. The story seems to flow nicely but I guess I would personally have preferred to stick with one race for a few missions before switching.

Regardless of the above, the game has been a very enjoyable experience. It runs really nicely on high settings and looks simply gorgeous, they have done a great job at updating the game engine. The voice acting and sound track bring a huge layer of depth to the game and the story so far has kept me captivated. The multiplayer mode is a lot of fun and if you get a good team of people that work together, it can be absolute carnage (especially with the massive hero units).

There is a lot different with the 3rd instalment of the DoW series but in my opinion they have combined the best of the first 2 (large armies, base building and hero units) with some new stuff to bring a fresh approach to DoW whilst retaining the feel and enjoyment of the previous games. 8 out of 10 for me - would recommend you play if you like DoW or RTS in general.
  31. May 5, 2017
    I have played all 3 DoW games, and while all of them are pretty different, IMO all three are pretty good. Just like everything else in today's society, game reviews are so polarized. This game absolutely doesn't deserve anything less than a 6-7. I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign playing on Hard, I actually found some of it to be decently challenging. Most of the campaign missions takeI have played all 3 DoW games, and while all of them are pretty different, IMO all three are pretty good. Just like everything else in today's society, game reviews are so polarized. This game absolutely doesn't deserve anything less than a 6-7. I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign playing on Hard, I actually found some of it to be decently challenging. Most of the campaign missions take about an hour to complete and there are 17 of them.I haven't played too much multiplayer yet, i'm sure there's balancing issues (what game doesn't have balancing issues) but overall seems pretty solid.

There are some minor complaints (such as units not automatically defending when attacked) or personal preferences I wish they had kept from previous installments (like the cover system or the retreat function) but all and all, its a solid game. I would definitely purchase a 4th version of this game so I hope these extremely polarized reviews don't reflect sales. If you're a Warhammer fan, I would definitely suggest picking up this title.
  32. May 2, 2017
    lol at all the 0-3 reviews, more like big grown up kids throwing tantrums because this isn't DoW1 2.0. Solid base game with alot of potential for further modes,maps and expansions.
  33. Apr 28, 2017
    I was going to write a big review but there is no point haters will hate. In no way is this game a 0 people may as well be given a big Yes or No button if they cant take the time to grade it fairly.

It is different to previous DoW games but that's not a bad thing its simply changing with the times they said months ago what features will not be included and what will be, yet people are still on here complaining about that very same point,,,,,,

It plays well I have not found any bugs its is linear but that's a refreshing change to games like Witcher 3 and Fallout there is a low amount of maps but it comes with a map builder for the community there will be hundreds in a month!

It is not pay to win at all most of what you "Unlock" are skins which make no difference to the battle field I look at it as having more variation as you are not going to be playing the same skills / tactics every multiplayer game.

For me its a solid 8 I it slightly expensive but im not a kid and I have a job so hey no big deal.

I wrote more than I intended.
  34. Apr 28, 2017
    People are so notoriously hyper critical these days. As a long time fan of the WARHAMMER 40k franchise, I've played the table top, as well as Dawn of War to Dawn of War III, as well as many other Warhammer 40k titles. Is this different than the previous iterations? Yes. Did most people probably fall victim to the hype train and expect water to wine? Probably. If you haven't learned by now,People are so notoriously hyper critical these days. As a long time fan of the WARHAMMER 40k franchise, I've played the table top, as well as Dawn of War to Dawn of War III, as well as many other Warhammer 40k titles. Is this different than the previous iterations? Yes. Did most people probably fall victim to the hype train and expect water to wine? Probably. If you haven't learned by now, when developers make a new iteration of a game, it's likely going to be different than the previous iterations, and not just an HD remake of the previous ones.

There are things I miss (like the cover system), and this game is simpler in some ways than the previous versions. However, that doesn't mean it lacks the depth in the multiplayer arena. Having played the beta, there is some massive intensity in the multiplayer matches that I haven't captured in a long time, with the push and pull of a match that RTS's are supposed to have. The game is minimal in content currently (maps, etc) which is why the 8/10, but Relic has mentioned their development plans, and that leaves me excited for the game's future. New races, new maps, continued feature adds. Give the game more than 24 hours before you rate it.
  35. May 11, 2017
    A lot of hate for this game apparently.

It has some flaws, but it's still a good anf fun entry in the series. Pros: Good tactical fights. Elites that work in fun ways. well balanced fatcions with asymetric gameplay. The Orks Waaahg! Stable lag free multiplayer. Fun elite / doctrine builds that change how you play your desired army. Nice graphics. Nice flow of action. the
    A lot of hate for this game apparently.

It has some flaws, but it's still a good anf fun entry in the series.

Pros:
    Good tactical fights.
    Elites that work in fun ways.
    well balanced fatcions with asymetric gameplay.
    The Orks Waaahg!
    Stable lag free multiplayer.
    Fun elite / doctrine builds that change how you play your desired army.
    Nice graphics.
    Nice flow of action.

the Meh:

Meh respect for story progression and Wh 40k lore.
    Meh inplementation of some abilities requiring unnecesary micro management.
    Meh base building.
    Steep learning curve.

Cons:
    New cover system is down right awfull.
    Maps are few and mostly uninspired.
    1 Multiplayer game mode aka Power core ( where wre all the rest? assasination, annihilation, king of the hill, territory control?
    Lack of customisation of standard squads an units, where are my sergants, gear upgrades, basicly where IS all my WH 40 wargear? i mean in multiplayer i can understand making things for lore sake a certain way in SP, but why can't i have assault terminator with ligthning claw wargear, or a space marrine comander with a power fist? basicly why can't i customize my elites at least? and my troops?
    eg: why can't i add a veteran sergent to my tactical marrine basic squad an give him a power sword or a melta gun? same goes for every faction.
    Really missing that fun DOW2 coop mod that let u fight horde waves with one hero and a bunch of friends.
    Where is my retreat button on my squads?
    Can't play defensively with most factions lack of defensive structures.
    Lack of visual customization of elites,
    Really an angelos with blood raven insignas when i play space wolves?
    3 lanes moba maps... if u were gunna do that u could at least add neutral creeps and stuff.
    without DLCs or patches missing a lot of factions ATM.
    No way to catch up if u screw up at very start of match making it so in 90% of cases the match outcome is decided in the first 5 to 8 minutes of the game start.
    No structures to garnison.
    Horrible implementation of flamers in this itteration of the franchise (i loved flamers and the way they worked agaisnt buildings and cover).
    Cover destructible cover and buildings and wrecks and well tactical positioning dam it and supression??? why is it gone.

Conclussion, 90% of it's current gameplay issues can be patched and new maps can be added, so there is hope, the core gameplay is really fun and the abilities of most units and elites are well done, usefull and fun to use.
    You should still get this game u'll have good fun with it despite it's current flaws.

Relic go read the reviews and forums, and get back to work, you have a beautifull product in there u nailed the core stuff dam good so take our hints and fix it, and u'll have made one of the funest, exiting RTS in years.

Thanx for your time to anyone that took the time to read this i hope it helped you:
  36. Jun 8, 2017
    I want to give it a 7.5 but lets just round it up to an 8. (And I'm a critical person of RTS)
    What do I like? Well for starters it's Micro focused, Basebuilding is very Streamlined something DoW II didn't have. So you won't spend much time doing it but it adds enough depth that really improves the gameplay. I just wish it was a little deeper as it's one of the parts of the game that took me the least amount of time to learn. Yet the Customization adds great depth and variation to every match! Not to mentio the Army painter is just a hell of a nice touch.

The dev teamand activity of balance patches and hot fixes showed me how stable this game is, it looks good and runs smooth. Nothing that will blow you away, I have not played campaign but I came for the multiplayer with my friend.

It's no doubt a good game, most players value DoW's Single player and hence such a poor reception. However it does try to stay fresh and every race has it's mechanics that makes it feel competitive even for new players (hence the turrets preventing base rushing) . Many don't like this aspect however nothing is more exciting than a Base trade but in this game it's a bit different. Which is great.

As it's a micro focused game you will have lots of opportunity for team work. Just like Dota, it reminds me of Battle for Middle Earth II Multiplayer with Hero units and the like. Just the Base building again, is lack luster. However again it's Very Streamlined and gives you little reason to hotkey your buildings. You will be busy ganking enemy elites and spacing out your space marines to really dwell on the simplicity of the buildings. They are useful for reinforcements which is a big part of the push and pull gameplay. Hence Very micro focused, and unit conservation is Key to Victory.

Drop Pods, Waaaaghs, and teleporters all make this game quite unique and a great addition to the RTS collection I have. It does enough new and Refreshing that I will play about as often as I play StarCraft. However Starcraft's gameplay does feel more timeless and tighter, but DoW does have many fun moments with elites.

So 7.5 from me as I'm pretty critical of RTS games as my standards are quite high.
    The official maps it has are quite good and while limited numbers I have no problem Replaying the maps as my tactics and stratagies will improve, it also has a map maker.

The leader boards are quite good, yet underpopulated so it's more of a ego stroking. But does not mean there are not good players and teams out there who will test your skills and knowledge of the game. Again If you like Battle for Middle Earth, you will probably enjoy this unless you expected some amazing base building.
  37. May 5, 2017
    The worst thing about the game is the "fan" base.
    I don't agree with every choice the developers made and feel it was a little over simplified as far as player customisation/options are concerned (no war gear).
    The worst thing about the game is the "fan" base.
    At the end of the day though, it's a fun game if you don't approach it with unrealistic expectations (meaning you wanted a remake of DOW1 or DOW2 or a magical blend of the bits you specifically liked from both because everyone else surely must agree with you...).
    I get the feeling those claiming it's a MOBA haven't ever played a MOBA before...
  38. May 1, 2017
    I am changing my review, I admit I knee-jerked a 0, and this game is not a 0. It is somewhat fun to play.

On my complaint of the graphics, I am realizing that the graphics being mediocre does allow HUGE battles with hundreds of units, with no slowdown. I still feel like the gameplay is sloppy, but I am also realizing that the "ultimate control" I desire when playing an RTS is

I still feel like the gameplay is sloppy, but I am also realizing that the "ultimate control" I desire when playing an RTS is unreasonable. I used to save scum DoW 1 and 2 if I ever lost a unit in DoW1 or had a team member go down in DoW 2. This game is more about war being brutal and units are dying rapidly on all sides.

Fact of the matter is, I came on here and gave a 0, got a Steam refund, but just couldn't resist buying it again and I am now having fun. It isn't the game I had hoped for, but I do encourage people to avoid a knee jerk reaction and missing out on a fun game.
  39. Apr 29, 2017
    This game is Dawn of War + Dawn of War II mashed together. It retains some qualities of both but doesn't excel in either way. Seems like a compromise to appease fans of both stlyles of games.
    It is a solid good game with an "ok" lenghty albeit heavily scripted and linear campaign.
    It adheres to the 40k lore and style and has some new mechanics that are really fitting and cool like the whaaaaaghh mechanic for the orks. it is also a fully fledged release with NO MICROTRANSACTIONS, who would have thought in this day and age! Huge props for that!
    All factions feel and play unique from eachother.
    I'd say that it is a solid but pretty avarage/good rts overall as to what you expect from such a title so I'm not listing the pros, I'm going to list some noteworthy cons and everything not on the con list is okay.

Cons:
    Limited number of multiplayer maps.

One game mode with built in rush protection. Why not let people be good at countering rushes instead of babying and on some maps potentially creating stalemates instead.

Mechanic for doctrines and elites are based on pure chance as you don't know what your opponent is using so you can't effectively plan to counter. Also the economy for unlocking these are restrictive and you need to focus on one of the factions you play to advance them, if you want to try another you are prone to having a disadvantage unless you luck out against an opponent that also plays a faction they haven't invested in.

No rebindable keys! I can't believe this huge oversight in this genre, I mean WTF where they thinking?!

The game is always played in borderless window no matter what resolution or option you choose. No bordered or true fullscreen!

The **** AA to date, not only is it a poor mans FXAA that turns the graphics to mud, it also tanks the framerate up to 50% of what you get with it off.

Some very overpowered elite units that makes the game unbalansed, especially since you can't plan properly before a game.

Attackmove does not differentiate between units and buildings or between defensive buildings and non defensive buildings. Some heavy microing required to get your units to hit the biggest threats on the field.

Summary, a decent but not great RTS not without it's flaws. There is fun to be had in the base game but even more important is it has support for the steam workshop and can potentially turn into a gem thanks to the modding community. And if the devs take the criticism into consideration the expansion that is sure to follow might be a very good rts.
  40. Apr 27, 2017
    Just enough to keep you entertained, but not much beyond that. The game at its current state is very barren and lacks depth in terms of its content instead relying on flashy activation of heroes moves to liven up the skirmishes.
    Armies take minutes to build and can be demolished in seconds giving almost no sense of urgency to the combat as you are not punished to heavily for losing troops.
    This game is confused on what lane it should stay in, RTS or MOBA. It falls short in both. I applaud relic for trying this formula but shake my head.
  41. May 21, 2017
    The game is definitely different from the other DoW games and I agree that the game lacks content to justify its price. Same couple of maps you play online and only one game mode (seriously?? why??).

I personally really like the MOBA elements combined with RTS. It makes some interesting games where both macro and micro management becomes crucial for succes. Campaign is pretty

Campaign is pretty standard from what you have seen forever in RTS games. Nothing special really.

The multiplayer games are what makes this game somewhat worth the money. They can be really intense, fun and rewarding. Seems like there are always a couple of games open to jump in to (for now).

This game had so much potential, but the severe lack of content and lack of polish makes this pretty mediocre.

I pray for some major updates or content additions.
  42. May 11, 2017
    Well, I played the game not too much by now, but I found it being very boring. The previous chapters made me eager to continue the campaign, this one gives me the feeling that it's only a confused flashing of lights on a battlefield. Maybe there's a reason why so much users vote it about 5 ...
    The campaign is split among the three factions. You jump from to another while I think it would be better to follow a single faction campaign and then try the other two to get used step by step to commands, troops and upgrades. As already said by many, buildings are limited to 5 each faction, troops are quite the same, melee, shooters, support (heavies), vehicles and Heroes. Boring, so boring...
    Now, after playing it, I feel as if I lost my time.
    I'll go back to other games.
  43. May 1, 2017
    The game is mediocre through and through. The voice acting isn’t particularly good nor bad. The music is nothing special. The levels, scenery and the cartoon art style arn’t spectacular in anyway or form. It’s Starcraftish. While I do enjoy Starcraft. This game is not Starcraft. It’s dawn of war, or was supposed to be. Removing the dynamic cover system and changing the art style was aThe game is mediocre through and through. The voice acting isn’t particularly good nor bad. The music is nothing special. The levels, scenery and the cartoon art style arn’t spectacular in anyway or form. It’s Starcraftish. While I do enjoy Starcraft. This game is not Starcraft. It’s dawn of war, or was supposed to be. Removing the dynamic cover system and changing the art style was a mistake, which changed the game from something unique, to a standard rts games with nothing special going for it.
    The graphics on max setting isn’t jaw dropping or even good. It’s just average. And that’s what this game really is, average. It doesn’t shine at any moment. It’s like relic didn’t know what they wanted to do with this game.
    This game is a five.
  44. Jun 11, 2017
    I think the game is ok, not great and not even good. Its a little different so I guess poeple are upset but really thats what relic does. We would all love Dow1 remastered or even a remake but thats not going to happen.

There actually is a ton of stratigy in this game, Im quite surprised, however; the game completely missed the grim feel of the warhammer universe and the gameplay was sub par

Buggest con, no death animations (angry)!!! Its 40k ffs!

If you like rts this is your jam... period
  45. May 9, 2017
    I really want to like this game, but goddamn they do everything that i simply cannot.
    40k is a huge universe with countless awesome stories and filled with extreme badasses.
    What is the first thing i see? Gabriel Angelos doing a huge jump in a terminator armor, because you know, it is just an armor like a tank made for a person to wear. Second. I admit i am a chaos fanboy, but even

Second. I admit i am a chaos fanboy, but even if i wouldnt be i am still offended that they until the end only made 3 races, the rest comes with dlc. Great!

Third. The only race that got something new are the orcs with their scrap, but Eldar and SM are just generic and boring to play.

Fourth. The campaign. They said they want to show the war from every side. But why force it. The campaign is just a huge tutorial and it feels off everytime you get torn out from one race and thrown to the next. It feels off.

40k can save a lot. But that doesnt mean it isnt hurting.
  46. May 27, 2017
    Dawn of war 2 was, and still is, one of my most loved game of all-time. I even liked Retribution (slightly less than Chaos Rising and DoW 2 Vanilla). I think the commando-type Gameplay is what hooked me, alongisde the universe. I played all campaigns in the most difficult setting possible multiple times, because I enjoyed the challenge it provided. I Played a little DoW 1 but not nearly asDawn of war 2 was, and still is, one of my most loved game of all-time. I even liked Retribution (slightly less than Chaos Rising and DoW 2 Vanilla). I think the commando-type Gameplay is what hooked me, alongisde the universe. I played all campaigns in the most difficult setting possible multiple times, because I enjoyed the challenge it provided. I Played a little DoW 1 but not nearly as much. So I had high expectations for DoW 3 but I wasn't expecting the same thing, because of this whole THQ bankrupt thing.

DoW 3 is not to be compared to DoW 2. It is a modern RTS that is very similar to Starcraft 2, far too similar imo. When I see replays or when I play against the IA, it feels like Starcraft. So DoW 3 is closer to DoW 1 than DoW 2. You liked DoW2 ? Then you might not like DoW 3.

I was bored during the campaigns. I found myself struggling to get the motivation to finish the campaign. The heroic units from DoW 2 have been switched by Elite units. The difference is that these units have no progression. No experience, no equipement. Just 2 "army" abilities to unlock, which have sometimes a meaningful impact on the experience. The idea ot have a lot of different elite units seemed great and If I had the opportunity to customize them like in DoW 2, it would have been awesome (Did I mention i loved this game ? I also played a lot of the Last Stand..).

It's not a MOBA because of its heroes, because in a moba your hero progress as the battle unfolds. Even in Warcraft 3 your hero had progression. In DoW 2 too. So actually Elite units are exactly this, units. They are not heroes, they are just powerful units you have to micromanage more. I felt very disappointed by this. Except for the Titans and some classic units (terminators, I see you), I felt most of the Elite units to be, well... useful but not really enjoyable. The main Ork Big Boss seems ridiculous to me, when you compare to other Big Bosses from the Warhammer universe. Of course, you might not even see your Elite unit depending on the game, since for some of them it's incredibly hard to get them if you're losing (which I am, often).

Actually the maps look like what you would find in a MOBA game, with lanes, turrets and power core... Maybe that's why the term has been used recently. The maps are uninteresting and very small, making for very nervous skirmishes if you're okay with that. But since objectives are fixed (Shield -> Turret -> Power core), it can be very quickly boring.

Dawn of War 3's main impact on my life is that I reinstalled Dawn of War 2 and remade all the campaigns. And even in some of the silliest Retribution campaigns I found more fun than in the entire solo experience of DoW 3.

I wished I could love this game... This it not a bad game, this is just not the game I wanted it to be.
  47. r4f
    Apr 28, 2017
    As a old Dow1 and Dow2 player and 40k sympathizer I have to say: what a huge letdown :(

There is not too much to add to the existing user comments, except that they could at least changed the title so to not link to the Dawn Of War franchise this... standardized mediocrity.
  48. Apr 28, 2017
    I am a huge biased fan of everything WH40k; loved the first RTS - DoW, and the RPG-ish DoW 2. (Also a big Moba fan, as it is relevant here).
    Sadly, I must say DoW 3 is a Huge miss here (and I worry my 4/10 rating is too much generous?).
    First off, the gameplay simply isn't there. The mix they tried to do between the two previous DoW doesnt work; it just isn't balanced and the epicness
    First off, the gameplay simply isn't there.
    The mix they tried to do between the two previous DoW doesnt work; it just isn't balanced and the epicness isn't there. The worst is the small maps which are heavily restricted (corridors) and nullify all aspect of strategy which you want in a RTS.
    While there are positive like the graphics, audio, voice acting and the overall 40k universe;
    The worst is the content. If you dont care about multiplayer, the campaign is short and dull and again, very restricted (Feels like a never ending tutorial with never any freedom to play the mission like you want).
    Only 3 races and no game mode... (I mean the potential was there, they could have made another Last Stand mode with the heroes, which was a BLAST in DoW 2!)
    You will basically pay the highest AAA price, play the 10h-ish campaign, forget its dull story and never open the game again.
  49. Apr 29, 2017
    Disappointing 3rd installment of the Dawn of War Franchise.
    The bad -
    The changed cover system makes little sense. The cartoon-like units. The Moba feel. The interwoven singleplayer campaign meaning you have to play all three factions to continue the campaign, there is no single faction only campaign, similar to warcraft III. Every unit needs to be micromanaged. It doesnt take
    Disappointing 3rd installment of the Dawn of War Franchise.
    The bad -
    The changed cover system makes little sense.
    The cartoon-like units.
    The Moba feel.
    Every unit needs to be micromanaged.
    It doesnt take itself as seriously as WH40K game should.
    It doesnt feel like WH40K.

The Good -
    Fantastic soundtrack and sound effects.
    Above average voice acting.
    Plays reasonably stable with very few dips in FPS.

Imagine if they had combined all the good elements of DoW and DoWII into DoWIII? Well, they didnt, sadly.
  50. May 8, 2017
    This game confuse me.

Its quality is below other Dawn of War games. Narrated slides instead of CGI cutscenes, less varied and downright cheap animations, questionnable designs (those Space Marines legs). The story is the first Dawn of War reharsed, minus the Chaos faction (which could, SHOULD be here) The strategy is weird, even more skill usages than in DOW 2, with no micro for
    This game confuse me.

The strategy is weird, even more skill usages than in DOW 2, with no micro for cover/flanking. With the exisitng defending structures and those bushes, you end up with more a moba-like impressions than a RTS.

In the end, it's like they wanted to make a strategy game with the same competitive elements and designs you can find in a Moba. The result is "original" in the same way peanut-butter flavored yogurt is original. It aims to attract to more people, claims to be the new sensation while being just a mix that no one wanted, will end up with its fanbase, but most people will only taste it once or twice and never eat some again.
  51. May 3, 2017
    Хуже, намного хуже чем Dawn of War. Плохо всё кроме графики и стабильности. Скучная кампания, нудный скирмиш, фракция эльдаров неинтересная, несбалансированная.
  52. May 1, 2017
    I' am so disappointed! I was waiting for this game for so long and now what do I get? Buggy, unfinished repetitive, game similar to SC. U spawn a bunch of cheap units, use ur hero and destroy enemy. The one with bigger bunch wins. No strategy needed. No morale system, no cover system (the bobbles are OP or useless, no sync kill :(, I don't feel like I'am in charge of the battle. JustI' am so disappointed! I was waiting for this game for so long and now what do I get? Buggy, unfinished repetitive, game similar to SC. U spawn a bunch of cheap units, use ur hero and destroy enemy. The one with bigger bunch wins. No strategy needed. No morale system, no cover system (the bobbles are OP or useless, no sync kill :(, I don't feel like I'am in charge of the battle. Just moving units. I'am not connected with my units. When your hero has abilities that can devastate our army in one click its so unfair from competitive stand point. There is no story behind the game. its just tutorial for the MP. It's not WH DOW. I want my money BACK! Expand
  53. May 19, 2017
    ohhh boy oh boy... I love 40k and I loved the first dawn I sort of liked the sequel dawn of war 2.... But yeah dawn of war 3 is so disappointing. The unit roster is ok, the graphics and animation is fine...
    But the gameplay is just pedantic, a snooooze fest, it's half RTS half MOBA but yeah it's not really a playable game.
    The campaign is the worst DOW campaign in the franchise and

The campaign is the worst DOW campaign in the franchise and honestly multiplayer games are just boaring (15 mission campaign to cover the 3 classes). The game is so flawed the mechanics are counterintuitive and you really need a very high APM to get things done in this game. Really not a game for the casual crowd and the multiplayer is so un-dynamic i don't see serious players getting involved either.

I love 40k but in this case I should of kept my money. The total war games are much much better is a shame I really don't know what relic was thinking.
  54. Apr 28, 2017
    How you will see the game depends on it how very much you are acquainted with the universe.
    Worst in my opinion:
    - Raping lore, even more than in previous games. - Graphical style not matching the universe generally speaking (Too polite, sterile, bright) - Simplification in terms of base construction and unit quantities - Applying some solutions from MOBA games (lines, towers,
    Worst in my opinion:
    - Raping lore, even more than in previous games.
    - Simplification in terms of base construction and unit quantities
    - Applying some solutions from MOBA games (lines, towers, "inhibitors", "nexus" and bushes)
  55. Apr 28, 2017
    I can imagine that this game may be fun for some people, but for me, its just odd. The overall design of the game makes playing through a match annoying, unrewarding and repetitive.

-For the first 1 - 5 minutes, its a desperate rush for resource points and hero point generation, slow build of army and technologies (feels like a good solid RTS) -The next 5 minutes is re-enforcing

-The next 5 minutes is re-enforcing positions and generating armies
    -Then end game when you can afford your epic unit. At this point, all the amazing design work for the buildings and minor units is forgotten. You march your epic unit down a lane and destroy their towers (ignoring everything else)

Pros:
    Voice acting for units and factions is good
    Vocal prompts for locations of skirmishes and information is useful and fun
    Animation is good. Unit design is good
    The faction specific mechanics are brilliant (scrap, warp, drop)

Cons:
    -General flow of combat and game pace
    -Epic units, because they are so game changing, it becomes a rush to get them, stopping any appreciation of the other parts of the game that look and sound awesome
    -The MOBA style objectives. Because they are placed so far out, building defenses is close to pointless. They are generic so look and feel out of place compared to the brilliant faction buildings. You know where they are each map so rushing is made super easy.
    -The maps seem like they are the forgotten beta maps from every MOBA ever. Lanes, towers, patches of grass for cover. Jungle camps have been replaced with resource generators.
    -No exp generation for units for offline skirmish maps.
    -The AI and overall game intelligence seems poor. Attack move is needed for everything, if not then your troops just end up having chats with the enemy.
    -The tutorial
    -Music is forgettable
  56. May 10, 2017
    I am having a hard time understanding this new phase in the game industry of going away with the things that work perfectly. I dislike this game. Its pretty, but it has no soul. You know what is not pretty? Dark Crusade, and its soul its still here. Its heart still beating and all of us warhammer fans still go back to it for more fun.

Why change a formula works? I would've zero problem

Why change a formula works? I would've zero problem paying the msrp price for a remastered Dark Crusade. Just imagine how amazing Dark Crusade would be with HD HDR/4k texture and added features.

A Dota style game will only sell to Dota fans. I have bought every single warhammer RTS games since the first one ( The amazing Gabriel angelos vs. Isador Akios story). I bought into the idea of warhammer two even if I did not like the lack of base building.

But this evolved warhammer 3? I played the beta for a few days and was so disappointed. If I wanted to play Dota or Heroes of the Storm I can play those cause they are best at it. there is no need for a dota style dawn of war if the old formula works and sell guys.

I did not and will not buy Dawn of War 3. A Dark Crusade with new graphics? I will pre-order now.
  57. May 13, 2017
    Risks taken on base building Real Time Strategy games doesn't save the game from its horrible controls, wonky UI, slow and unresponsive elites and frustrating animations.

I threw away money because I didn't want to believe the negative campaigning. I could see past the somewhat different take on base building and 'lanes'. It seemed like these guys were just taking a risk to finally try to bring the Dawn of War games to the limelight.

Unfortunately the troubles begin pretty early. Starting up the tutorial you can already tell that the screen is really too cluttered and I can't tell exactly what style of art they were going for with the aesthetic -- it's a little murky. After you finish the tutorial, which explains basically nothing of 'doctrines' or the skull 'currency' to BUY them, you go into the first mission of the campaign.

Before I start on the campaign, I want to mention that I think it's a terrible, terrible design choice to gate your content behind ridiculous like a currency. Want to jump right into multiplayer? Nope. You better have your doctrines ready and to get them is going to take some tedious grinding.

The campaign starts you off as Space Marines, or at least as Gabriel Angelos. Sure it's pretty evident when you should use your abilities -- he is one of the easier heroes in the game. But the first mission is INCREDIBLY boring and unwelcoming for newer players of the genre. That style of play has nothing to do with what you probably bought the game for in addition to a good single player game -- the multiplayer.

Most of the game you DO NOT build any kind of bases or structures, or you're purposefully limited.

The story is mediocre, not bad -- which is one of the reasons I'm not giving this a lower score. But come on, we know the motif for these games, don't we?

After finishing the the eleventh mission of the game, I decided that I just couldn't take it. running a rat maze while one elite hits an alarm and stealths while your other two stand at a point is lazy design. There's no reason to play multiplayer at the moment without a ladder and who knows if this game is going to try to scam even more money from you. Why are doctrines gated behind this skull currency? Why couldn't I just decide to take a break and play a multiplayer game? Then again, why would I want to. Want to make changes on the fly to control groups? Nope - reselect everything you want and rebind it.

The races feel almost identical with maybe an exception to orks.

The game was rushed and every second after the first eleven missions I just wanted to play DOW1. I suggest that relic/CA whoever takes this game back like Final Fantasy fix the broken, unfinished garbage they rushed out and apologize to the fans.
  58. May 22, 2017
    Worst edition of DOW ever, I owned and played every single version/edition/dlc of this game and I enjoyed it even in different way.

Well I ordered this version as a pre-order, played the beta end part of definitive game then I asked for a refund. Maybe in the future I will buy it when it will be at a very strong discount, but at full price It is theft, really, worst, worst edition

Maybe in the future I will buy it when it will be at a very strong discount, but at full price It is theft, really, worst, worst edition ever, for almost everything, they ruined a great saga.
  59. Apr 28, 2017
    I refunded my game. This game is half ass everything it tries to be Starcraft, Warcraft and Company of heroes at the same time and the story is bad. Comeback is non-existence. Lose your first engagement> slow grind to inevitable doom, win your engagement>slow grind to victory. The story is half ass as well it's nothing more than a glorified tutorial which is a huge disappointment.
  60. Apr 28, 2017
    Glad to see that Relic have punished themselves for COH2. But, i'm quite disapointed that they ruined one of my favorite game series.

RIP Relic /// RIP Bioware
  61. May 2, 2017
    all i can say is wow its not a moba when u have to defend something saying its not a moba it normally means theres some weight to the claims it feels like a mix of rts/moba/ i was gonna say rpg but no very little customization no leveling up relic should be taken off the next dawn of war game this is just dumbed down crap blob on blob gameplay no cover system its a bubble system whoeverall i can say is wow its not a moba when u have to defend something saying its not a moba it normally means theres some weight to the claims it feels like a mix of rts/moba/ i was gonna say rpg but no very little customization no leveling up relic should be taken off the next dawn of war game this is just dumbed down crap blob on blob gameplay no cover system its a bubble system whoever thought that up should never work again in the games industry what a stupid idea one multiplayer mode a tutorial 17 missons long at least give us a proper decent campaign last relic game i ever buy dow 1 fantastic plus expansions dow 2 ok spoilt the game franchise in my opinion but this is garbage Expand
  62. Apr 27, 2017
    Tl:Dr - They dumbed the game down to make it more like a MOBA , while retaining its RTS/RTT roots. The End Result is a GAme that is a MOBA/RGP/RTS hybrid and tries to do to much and doesnt do any of it well. If they wanted a MOBA they should of went full MOBA, not forced MOBA elements into an RTS just because its the trendy thing to do.

WTAF? I have been a DOW fan long before the

WTAF? I have been a DOW fan long before the games! I Loved the first one , still occasionally play it, Its depth and customization is amazing. A Pure RTS . I wasnt a big fan of the second one at First but ended up really like the RPG and RTT elements add to it. The Hero units were much stronger then normal units but not by an insane amount.

DOW 3 however makes most the little guys useless , there feels like there is no character or depth to the other units anymore , their upgrades barely seem all that different or unique and their impact is no where near as significant as other games , they are just meat for the grinders that are the Elites . They made the game almost like all units are just these extra guys there to assist the Elites , which was never what DOW was about. Its more like a MOBA now where the game centers around an Elite and all the units are just puked out to help your Elite kill there Elite or building just a tiny bit faster.

Everything is dumbed down for normal units , their skills their actions , even the graphics and their skins , seriously compare the tactical marines in 3 to either 2 or 1 and there is no comparison , all units are like afterthoughts to the game with the bare minimal effort put it. Relic normally hits it out of the park but they were catering to much to the trendy crowd so much im half surprised they didn't try to put some sorta overwatch mechanic into the game

They removed all the depth and usefulness of regular units , the only thing i use them for it to take down buildings and to guard a Elite while he heals .

The games feels so simple and so empty and soulless and the draw of the game at least for me has always been its tactical depth and the feel that every squad was important , not only that the whole game seem so much slower.
  63. Apr 29, 2017
    This game does not know what it wants to be and ends up being a boring mess that takes a steamer on the DOW ip

Feels more like a lane game than a RTS Mechanics are fairly bland and less than previously titles (eg morale and suppression gone) Buggy Heroes are overpowered to the point that regular units are nearly worthless Recommend watching TB & Archs youtube reviews, they explain

Feels more like a lane game than a RTS
    Buggy
    Heroes are overpowered to the point that regular units are nearly worthless

Recommend watching TB & Archs youtube reviews, they explain it far better than can be said here.
  64. Apr 28, 2017
    This is a shell of an RTS at best, gutted by removing basebuilding, and silly design choices that stamp out certain strategies (good by early skirmishing/rushing) . DotA wants its gamestyle back...
    Not worth the full AAA asking price, thank god for steams refund policy....
  65. Jun 18, 2017
    I loved Dawn of War 2 and was very excited for the release of this game. I started watching gameplay videos a month or so before the release and while I had reservations, I went ahead and pre-ordered the game.

The graphics are decent and the sound is not so great. The story is terrible and you won't feel connected to the characters at all. I feel like playing this game is a chore. I have kept coming back because of the happy memories I have from dawn of war 2 and the expansions expecially Chaos Rising. This game tries to do something new and it totally fails. The strategy element is weak with gameplay that offers no real depth. Add that to the lack of compelling story or likeable characters and you have a game that is not worth your money.
  66. May 29, 2017
    Lots of people have spoken on various aspects of the game so I'm just going to talk about the fundamental component that disappoints me the most. Non-elite units are squishy as f**k...

One of the reasons I hated playing the imperial guard in DoW for the longest time was how easily your units died. You'd have these large squads spec'd out with cool laser pointers and noob tubes and then stare in despair as they all got mowed down by heavy bolters, But I came to appreciating that that was the gaurdsmen signature. Lots and lots of eager yet easily broken cannon fodder. And that was great, because it made them unique and accentuated the awesomeness of their artillery and vehicles.

In DoW 3 all your units are weak. Yes, they're necessary and have a significant impact on the game, but they die to most things in seconds. I've always been a big fan of the space marines. Their look, their weapons and their unwavering love of combat combined with fearless devotion to victory in the name of the emperor is what make them bad a$$ as f**king hell. They are pure awesome.

But in DoW 3 they are mere cannon fodder. Forget their crazy heavy armor or their genetic enhancements. They drop like flies, literally. They seemed a bit weak in DoW 1 as well, but I came to appreciate their strength in relation to what they were up against. But in DoW 3 they're plain and simply weak against everything. And this applies to any unit, of any faction that isn't an elite unit.

Vehicles were incredibly strong in the original. Dreadnoughts would tear through entire armies. Predators were tanky as f**k, which makes sense being as they're a friggen tank. And land raiders, avatars, blood thirsters and squiggoths were an insane force to be reckoned with. You were not putting those monstrosities down quickly.

In DoW 3 a predator misplaced for even a split second will explode instantly to even a couple anti-vehicle infantry squads. It'll die in a few seconds to regular infantry weapons. This applies to any non-elite vehicle. They just die incredibly fast and this is how the game has been designed. When I built my first predator playing DoW 3 I felt really excited thinking it was going to wreck all these sh1tt3r infantry units only to be disappointed to my core when it exploded in seconds to what might as well have been a couple of snow balls.

Elite units are godly and satisfying to use. But they're strong to the point of making regular units seem like mundane, mass produced, mindless creeps. 3 elite units can easily erase an entire army. And while I enjoyed using the crazy strong elites I unfortunately still had to use my sad, frail sh1t tier units instead of being able to just enjoy bashing all the side show tin foil wannabe tanks with my over 9000 hammer.

Regular tac marines are especially pathetic, to the point that they quickly become irrelevant as the game goes on. They can no longer wield rocket launchers or bolters and are frequently out ranged and out damaged by the majority of units. Against melee units they get sliced like butter. They don't even remotely compare to the guardsmen of the first DoW in their strength or damage output. And in the end they just don't feel satisfying to use, because when I use them I don't feel like I'm using incredibly strong, armored up heavy hitting super soldiers. I feel like I'm using animatronic target dummies composed of butter, paper mache, tin foil and match sticks. And that's being generous. There are no appropriate words for their air particle destructed frailty.

Also, there are army decimating super weapons. I mean sure, an orbital bombardment annihilating an entire army of anything seems perfectly plausible. In fact, it feels like the entire game was built around the strength of super weapons. But in all honesty, I'd rather weapons of that strength not even be available. So much so, that not only did I not enjoy using them, I actually felt guilty as hell when I used them on someone. The whole time I'm sitting there, sadly moving my cursor along, watching my opponent's units helplessly hovering in the air getting mushed to pulp, all I can think is, 'I'm sorry man. I'm so, so **** sorry. I am so, wholeheartedly sorry for making you watch as I slide a cursor across your screen decimating every unit you've built in seconds. I'm only doing this because I have to, and because I know you will do the same to me. Thanks to the devs, the cycle will forever continue. No unit shall be spared.'

I can appreciate the kind of gameplay the devs were aiming for, and I think they nailed their intentions, but it's not what I was expecting from a DoW game and it doesn't really line up with what I know of the Warhammer universe. Because of the unit fragility it's a very hyper micro, zero macro, heavy hero kind of game.

In a sentence, the game is no longer 'HOLD THE LINE BROTHERS FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPEROR!', but instead just, 'Man, look at allllll the space pulp on my screen right now...'
  67. May 3, 2017
    yet another game ruined by SEGA ...what a load of crap .....shallow gameplay nothing like dow 1 such a shame .........................................
  68. May 4, 2017
    Playing this game i feel more like im playing some advanced version of Cannon Fodder, then RTS. It feels more arcadey then strategy - battles are chaotic, super fast and require hell of micromanagement.

Graphically, the game is imo quite pleasant. IRL it looks better then on streams.

Regarding campaign, i don't like constant side switching. I prefer playing one faction.
  69. May 1, 2017
    DoW3 singleplayer is below avarage at best with no coop and there is very little of it, there is no last stand and i dont get why people are claiming that there is anything from Dow2 in this game, i even feel like there is very little from DoW1.
    The astetics are questionable at best, for example has the entirety of the bloodravens made a packt with slanesh so they would look fabulous and oiled up all the time?
    This game is far away from previous Dow games and the sourcematerial.
    The movement and behavior of the models just feels off and derpy.
    Some of the animations are just insulting, overall the artstyle and thone is a downgrade from Dow2.
    This game just feels like a compleately new rts with the DoW tag just slapped on for sales!
  70. May 1, 2017
    Must say that I'm very disappointed . DOW3 came out like trendy game for those who like MOBAs and most simple RTS games. Graphics are not that bad but cartoonish style simply doesn't cut it. There is no real tactical options, mostly because regular units on all sides die so quickly that you don't have time or need to manage them. Its total chaos and meat grinder all around. Elites are onMust say that I'm very disappointed . DOW3 came out like trendy game for those who like MOBAs and most simple RTS games. Graphics are not that bad but cartoonish style simply doesn't cut it. There is no real tactical options, mostly because regular units on all sides die so quickly that you don't have time or need to manage them. Its total chaos and meat grinder all around. Elites are on one side overpowered MOBA heroes with MOBA specials, yet need to micromanage couple of them at same time makes loosing focus and momentum easy. Relic tried to make hybrid of MOBA and light RTS and that is mistake from the start. Even worst mistake was to do away with anything that makes tactical combat an option. DOW1 had cover system way better and more intuitive. In MOBAs you control one hero, mobs come by themselves and you don't have to produce them like here, chaos is expected and welcomed. In DOW game it shouldn't be so but Relic did it in worst way possible with clear idea of making a game to try to lure players of MOBAs and simplified tank rush RTS games both. Game looks lot like StarCraft in level design (space platforms/space forts look almost identical) and even some race mechanics ( elder focus, unit shielding etc.) or story bits with MOBA twist. Campaign is somewhat interesting but it is in essence training for MP and they do not even hide it. Forcing you to play each mission with different race makes patching something lot simpler in a way of story and selling it. DOW1 Winter assault even had better solution for telling a simple but effective story and Dark Crusade or Soulstorm made it with almost no story but good competitive drive. I don't even want to comment Pokémon/Power rangers like flipping Chapter masters and Terminators, or Spiderman like antics of Orc Warlords and so on. You got that but no combat animations of slashing, crushing and dashing, sure sign who was target audience. Even MP is very rudimentary, in truth just somewhat more developed hybrid of MOBA and Clash Royal (lots of Giants and Skeleton/ Minion horde stuff) . Yes it can be light fun but it simply isn't good DOW game

PS: I see that some reviewers are giving 10 to this game " to balance haters" even when they also think that lot went wrong with this one and because they expect that game will be patched and improved with DLC-s. I really honestly hope so but that's not the state of the game now and only that can be taken in account for review and scoring. Right now that's very low.
  71. Apr 29, 2017
    Extremely dissapointing.

I was A HUGE fan of warhamme 1 + all extensions and warhammer 2. This is absolutely not the same kind og game. The solo is easy, scenario is really lazy. Strategy is boring, too much units have capacity. The graphics are almost like cartoon, not at all like warhammer. Most of the animations (special mention to Angelos) are ridiculous. Colors are too
    Extremely dissapointing.

I was A HUGE fan of warhamme 1 + all extensions and warhammer 2.

This is absolutely not the same kind og game.

The solo is easy, scenario is really lazy. Strategy is boring, too much units have capacity. The graphics are almost like cartoon, not at all like warhammer. Most of the animations (special mention to Angelos) are ridiculous. Colors are too bright,
    Base construction is minimal and not interesting.
    I waited this game for years, and this is a big dissapointement. And this comes from a both of relic and warhammer.
    IDK what happened, this is just sad, sad and boring.

If at least it would have advanced the story and background of the bloodravens... but it did not even do that.

The only, little interest, is in the multiplayer, wich is acceptable. But i think most of the persons that plays dawn of war don't do it for the multiplayer. do they?

I am just sad for this game, this studio, and this license...
  72. May 29, 2017
    For a Dow fan: this is just a way back in time....thy for trashing a real good franchise....
    This is just a Star Craft or Command and Conquer styled game.

I have played Dow 1 and & 2 more than 1500hrs.....this game bores me after 50 hrs.......
  73. Apr 27, 2017
    Probably the worse game of the series...1) No Sync Kills 2) No Special Attacks 3) Not a true Cover System 4) No Suppression 5) No Morale 6) Terrible Cartoony Art Design 6) Poor Sound Design 7) Hilariously bad Animations made for children 8) MOBA Mechanics that have absolutely no business being in a RTS Game. 9) Pointless Base Building that might as well not even be there at all due to howProbably the worse game of the series...1) No Sync Kills 2) No Special Attacks 3) Not a true Cover System 4) No Suppression 5) No Morale 6) Terrible Cartoony Art Design 6) Poor Sound Design 7) Hilariously bad Animations made for children 8) MOBA Mechanics that have absolutely no business being in a RTS Game. 9) Pointless Base Building that might as well not even be there at all due to how pathetically small the maps are 10) and of course DENUVO DRM and asking 60 dollars for this trash this game is from SEGA alright. Dawn of War III was a Corporate Cash-In to try and pander to the StarCraft II fanbase and MOBA fanatics. Do not buy this game, and show Relic & SEGA that they are capable of doing better than this. Expand
  74. Jul 22, 2017
    The graphics are reasonable, the sound is OK, but that's as far as this game goes. All the wonderful aspects of DoW1 and DoW2 that made them enjoyable, albeit very different games, have been removed. As a hard core DoW and 40K fan, this game simply doesn't cut it. In the Emperor's name, this heresy of a game must not survive!
  75. May 2, 2017
    After playing this game for 4 hours, i just felt exhausted.. it was boring, no progression, ui is a mess, game seems horribly maze-like and just really oddly balanced. I got a refund through steam, since this was not at ALL what i was expecting. They really screwed this one up :(
    Being a big fan of the first game, and also (to lesser extent) the 2nd game - but this is just awful :(
    This
    This is not something a hotfix or patch can fix. The overall game design is flawed.
  76. Apr 28, 2017
    I was so looking forward to this game but so far it has been a massive disappointment. Most of the strategy is gone in favour of point and shoot with big armies.

DOW 2 was so good that I will not give up on this game but I won't be playing it again until DLC or updates make it interesting to play.
  77. Apr 28, 2017
    Why, why did you totally destroy such a beautiful game?
    The community only asked for a game like the first DOW with new and better graphic/ textures, and you released a RTS-MOBA abortion.
    Even DOW 2 is 100 times better than this.
    Dow3 is like C&C4 : an EPIC FAIL.
  78. Apr 27, 2017
    They remove everything that made Dawn of War an interesting title to try and entice a community that would never pay 60 dollars for a rts style game. I am flabbergasted at the removal of cover a bunch of unit upgrades replaced by meaningless ones and the limiting of Elite units that are suppose to be definitive of my army. Dawn of War 3 is a pitiful travesty and Relic should lose controlThey remove everything that made Dawn of War an interesting title to try and entice a community that would never pay 60 dollars for a rts style game. I am flabbergasted at the removal of cover a bunch of unit upgrades replaced by meaningless ones and the limiting of Elite units that are suppose to be definitive of my army. Dawn of War 3 is a pitiful travesty and Relic should lose control of this IP after this. Expand
  79. May 3, 2017
    I am not reviewing the campaign of this game, just multiplayer.

I am not reviewing the campaign of this game, just multiplayer.

This game is a great disappointment compared to the previous titles in the series and an even greater let down if you enjoyed any of the Company of Heroes games. It is closer to a regression to Starcraft merging with Dawn of War I than an advance on Relic's previous titles. There are few animations (and the ones there look like a cartoon), no sync-kills, a very restricted camera, poor voice acting (in comparison to the previous titles), less strategic depth, more of an arcade RTS, and general lack of immersion. They went from a work of art to a game that tries to win over the e-sports crowd and fail to deliver even there.

The game becomes boring after a few games, and as an RTS, judged apart from previous Relic games it deserves something around a 6 if you ignore the downgrade from the previous titles and that it is supposed to take place in the 40k universe.
  80. Apr 27, 2017
    Fatal Errors within the tutorial, and UX design on par with Command and Conquer ... from '95. Truly a shame.

The sad part is that this is a series with a fantastic history and a truly astounding track record when it comes to the gameplay. To see a series go to the point where there's crashes in the tutorial and unnumbered buttons for macro purposes, which means you can't even hotkey efficiently. Not sure what they were thinking releasing a year early.
  81. May 9, 2017
    “the game Warhammer 40k fans have been waiting for”
    9/10 – Gamereactor
    Sure, why not? How could relic deliver an unfinished game is really beyond me. Despite the already bad animations (see the devastator with heavy bolter please), voice actions and lines exchangeds between characters, the game is full of bugs and glitches. I could really overslook all these problems if the
    “the game Warhammer 40k fans have been waiting for”
    9/10 – Gamereactor

Sure, why not?

How could relic deliver an unfinished game is really beyond me.

I could really overslook all these problems if the campaign mode was at least "ok", since im not really into MP competitive stuff (and in that perspective, this game had a HUGE downgrade in comparison to DoW II) but the campaign was mediocre at best.

I've played some skirmishes with my friends against the AI and it is full of bugs, enemy units sometimes just stop and do nothing, or some times they keep attacking you with their mediocre ranged damage (i.e howling banshee's ranged attack).

If this game is to be something good in the future it will be because of the community doing mods and maps. Hope relic staff sees this and dont make this mistake again.
  82. Apr 30, 2017
    DoW3 is a compromise of all the values, as a player I came to trust and identify with the franchise. It neither honours the 30yr old IP of Warhammer 40K nor explores it in this iteration.
  83. May 4, 2017
    You played the series and loved it !!! Whats not to love, its the best part of COH with heroes mixed in set in the 40k universe! Now you hear the third installment is dropping holy **** its gonna be amazing.....no. no it isnt...... Its a pathetic abomination of what we loved from these games with dumbed down mechanics and vomit inducing vfx. **** THIS GAME AND EVERYTHING THEY DIDYou played the series and loved it !!! Whats not to love, its the best part of COH with heroes mixed in set in the 40k universe! Now you hear the third installment is dropping holy **** its gonna be amazing.....no. no it isnt...... Its a pathetic abomination of what we loved from these games with dumbed down mechanics and vomit inducing vfx. **** THIS GAME AND EVERYTHING THEY DID WITH IT. I dont understand how you can take a winning franchise and change its core mechanics that made it famous and **** up everything. See this is the ****ing problem with games nowadays you got some suit who pays your ****ing production telling you we need something fresh......dude if it aint broke dont fix it...just make it better. **** THIS GAME Expand
  84. May 7, 2017
    Difficult to say whether this game is worth recommending or not. Also, lots of people have been commenting on my playtime. The reason it is so low, is because I wanted to refund the game after playing the campaign, which obviously we could not do in the betas. I have collectively around 24 hours of playing if you include both closed betas as well as the open beta.
    If you're really
    If you're really passionate about W40k, and you can't stand the idea of divergence from the lore and atmosphere, then I'd say give it a pass. I'd also advise giving the game a miss if you're very much into the established gameplay from either the first or second game, as this game diverges quite a lot from its predecessors in ways which seems to have the community mostly angry about.
  85. Apr 27, 2017
    All I can say is, what happened???

If you were interested in playing something similar to the original DOW titles or even DoW2, DoW3 is neither. It seems like Relic/Sega were more interested in playing League of Legends than making their own game. The game is optimized poorly, stutters & lags even in the menus. The voice acting is atrocious & somehow the graphics managed to go back
    All I can say is, what happened???

The game is optimized poorly, stutters & lags even in the menus. The voice acting is atrocious & somehow the graphics managed to go back in time a decade.

The business model is clearly setup with DLC in mind to milk the playerbase in future updates with content that should have been available on release.
  86. Apr 27, 2017
    OMG this is such a steaming pile of crap! COH2 was a bad game and that was 10 years ago, but it's better than this! Game is laggy as hell. No cover, no strategy. Ugly for this day and age. Can't change key binds. Devs ignored all feedback and just threw out a quick cash grab!
  87. May 3, 2017
    We were told repeatedly that this would be the game that takes the series back to its roots, that brings back the big battles and even better, would bring in the scale of the titan units to really shake things up. Cut to the actual game and you have a game about hero units, where basically everything revolves around them and the big battles of the past are nothing but a distant memory.We were told repeatedly that this would be the game that takes the series back to its roots, that brings back the big battles and even better, would bring in the scale of the titan units to really shake things up. Cut to the actual game and you have a game about hero units, where basically everything revolves around them and the big battles of the past are nothing but a distant memory.

This isn't fun, it doesn't look good (were they designing this ready for a smart phone port?), it has no idea what its trying to be. I loved the first two games, and for me the only thing the series was missing was the sheer scale of the overall universe this IP is set in.

If you want just another game set in the 40k universe, this is definitely that, if you want a Dawn of War game, don't bother.
  88. May 2, 2017
    No rebindable keys.
    No Fullscreen (borderless windowed by default) cause huge issues in the game, for me this is simple, i can't play at all. For other people they can't select their native resolution or they have permanent windows taskbar above the game.
    Both are mindless devs choice. Both are without any fix. Uninstall is the only one good choice, and this is my last game from
    No rebindable keys.

Both are mindless devs choice.
    Both are without any fix.

Uninstall is the only one good choice, and this is my last game from Relic.

For me, this studio are the world number one of the lazy now.

Don't buy it without fix.
    They probably go to never fix it.
  89. May 3, 2017
    This game is a massive insult to the DOW franchise.They removed the features that people loved about the first 2 games and made a crappy rts wannabe that no one wants to play.The game has only 1 multiplayer mode,it has no depth,just mindlessly throw your armies at each other with no regard for strategy.
    They removed unit upgrades and customization.Which was one of the things I loved about the dow games.The roster is smaller and you cant even play the single player campaign offline.
    Lastly don't be fooled by reviews by users like "Voenix",they have just created an account to give 10 rating to this **** game.If you value your money and time stay away for this game.
  90. Apr 27, 2017
    Nice lightning effects.
    If you like LoL or other titles like that, well good for you. You found new way to dumbing your intellect.
    For kids who like gummebears, jumping heroes, and all that childish "fun" factor. There you go.
    Bye Relic. I hope not for ever...
  91. Jul 21, 2017
    Pitiful shade of the former glory of its two predecessors. What's worse, the developer is not above using their moderator henchmen to suppress valid criticism of this mediocre product in Steam forums. Well, obviously, I don't need your forums to discuss your games to survive, however you need my money to sustain your revenue stream to survive - money you will now never get. Refunded, moving on.
  92. May 2, 2017
    Вообщем ребят нечего особо разглагольствовать,множество обзоров в стим говорят сами за себя. От себя,я очень люблю Ваху,перечитал множестов книг,пересмотрел множество настолок иииии,я был школьником когда был первый ДоВ,я пришел из армии,когда был второй ДоВ,но третьего ДоВа лучше бы и не было.Вообщем ребят нечего особо разглагольствовать,множество обзоров в стим говорят сами за себя. От себя,я очень люблю Ваху,перечитал множестов книг,пересмотрел множество настолок иииии,я был школьником когда был первый ДоВ,я пришел из армии,когда был второй ДоВ,но третьего ДоВа лучше бы и не было.
  93. Apr 28, 2017
    Disgrace to a genre, DoW series and tabletop original, not a Dawn of War game. Terrible maps, only 3 races with even less units than original DoW, cartoonish graphics and gameplay as shallow as a puddle. This game tries to mix some MOBA, C&C, Starcraft and DOW into one pot, result is a disgusting mush resembling a puke. It is not nearly as good as any of those game. For me, this a fail ofDisgrace to a genre, DoW series and tabletop original, not a Dawn of War game. Terrible maps, only 3 races with even less units than original DoW, cartoonish graphics and gameplay as shallow as a puddle. This game tries to mix some MOBA, C&C, Starcraft and DOW into one pot, result is a disgusting mush resembling a puke. It is not nearly as good as any of those game. For me, this a fail of epic proportions. Expand
  94. Jul 10, 2017
    Pile of garbage, i loved the direction the game was going in DOW2. Now it devolves to a crappy starcraft clone. Seems like they want to pander to the esports crowd as if they don't have enough crap games to circle jerk over. And I loathed to the extreme being forced to play differing factions during the campaign. Have separate campaigns for all the factions, this is lazy as **** and forcesPile of garbage, i loved the direction the game was going in DOW2. Now it devolves to a crappy starcraft clone. Seems like they want to pander to the esports crowd as if they don't have enough crap games to circle jerk over. And I loathed to the extreme being forced to play differing factions during the campaign. Have separate campaigns for all the factions, this is lazy as **** and forces me to play factions I don't really like all that much, absolutely stunningly retarded design choice. I know lets force players to play the faction they like only 1/3 of the time......ffs. Expand
  95. May 2, 2017
    This game is a piece of crap. It takes everything Dawn of war games were about and throw it away and makes a shinny **** with decent graphics, a few maps of multi, crap campaign, crap sizes. The game is broken in all aspects and costs a way too much for nothing absolute nothing. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone especially people who know the lore and played the other games. WorstThis game is a piece of crap. It takes everything Dawn of war games were about and throw it away and makes a shinny **** with decent graphics, a few maps of multi, crap campaign, crap sizes. The game is broken in all aspects and costs a way too much for nothing absolute nothing. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone especially people who know the lore and played the other games. Worst game so far by far in 2017 in terms of expectations and results. Expand
  96. Apr 27, 2017
    I am a fan of every Relic game up to now except The Outfit which I have never played. I loved Homeworld, Space Marine, Impossible Creatures, both CoH's and both DoW's even though they were very different games. Also I enjoy Warhammer, especially 40k. So this should be a game for me, no? Sadly, it is not.

Combat is not interesting and is quite mechanical, economy is outdated returnig to version before CoH1, turrets and power nodes are a blatant steal from MOBA's and completely unnecessary. Elites are badly designed, being able to kill entire armies while costing nothing (so most combats will be around Elite point in the game and whoever holds it, almost certainly wins) and are completely not customisable taking away a strategy layer.

Raiding is completely out of the picture cause of listening posts so there are only big blobs running around, and cause there is no retreat the blob which gets the first win will continue winning and return mechanics are completely not working cause instead of pop cap regulated req it is economy regulated, so if you have map control your army is gonna be bigger, period. Super weapons also cost nothing so can be spammed and whoever wipes more with his power, wins engagents without the need to strategise. Also Elites will almost certainly become micro transactions with best ones locked behind mounds of ingame currency or a couple of Euro's, so if you want to win in a tournament you better have the newest Elite (pay cash).

And I am not even touching strange art style, lore unfriendly abilities and animations and bad responsiveness ... Simply put, this game is gaming disappointment of a decade for me
  97. Apr 27, 2017
    If you are a fan of DoW 1 or 2 - avoid it. If you are looking for something 'grimdark' - look somewhere else. This game is not a RTS anymore. It is a mix of Clash Royale and a bad StarCraft clone.
  98. May 4, 2017
    ok, the graphics are nice. that's all for the good things.

the bad things now: -when i buy a game which is a sequel (furthermore for 60€) based on a marvelous and complete license than warhammer 40k, i expect to have more content than in the previous one. here you have less armies (only 3 choices), less units (take à look at the eldars, where are the guardians? or the spacemarine
    ok, the graphics are nice. that's all for the good things.

the bad things now:
    here you have less armies (only 3 choices), less units (take à look at the eldars, where are the guardians? or the spacemarine motocycles for exemple).

-it's suppose to be an rts game, which mean for me basically build a base and an army.
    here you have 5-6 buildings available depending on the army you play and which are mostly the same in each army, so much for diversity...

there are probably more defaults i don't think about right know but it's enough for saying i'm really disapointed about this game and it's not worth it the expensive price of 60 €
  99. May 10, 2017
    How did the developers manage to ruin a follow up to such a great franchise.
    Dawn of war had quite big armies and variety of units/abilities/heroes and fun multiplayer as well as campaign.
    How did the developers manage to ruin a follow up to such a great franchise.
    Dawn of war II had smaller armies and and less variety of units but much more and stronger abilities which made it much more tactical. This wouldn't have been possible to play with big armies like in DoW but was also as much fun in a quite different way. Also the Last stand mode was fun big times.

THIS is just terrible. It tries to bring big armies like in Dow but units got even blunter than in DoW(less abilities, no equipable weapons, no progress for your units)
    No buildable defensive structures. Neither Moral nor suppression system. The graphic totally switched the direction, now it became catoonish(terrible for a universe that tries to be serious). The animation of movement looks silly, which leads to an essencial part of DoW franchise:
    They removed the executions! With a terrible argument of how they couldn't balance the "make a unit take damage, or not take damage while it executes another" their lazy asses just removed them completly. The campaign of DoW II was better though it was boring as watching tar drip.
    There are only 3 factions with not enough variety to make them interesting.
    Actually considering that you could give most units on average 3 upgrades/weapons, even that had more variety.
    Some argue that the workshop appendex could improve the game through gamers over time, like skyrim was improven through mods by players BUT IT'S NOT THE JOB OF THE PLAYERS TO MAKE THE GAME PLAYABLE IF THE DEVELOPERS GET PAYED.
    I just hope that someday a miracle happens and somebody takes this over and forges DoW IV as good as ther first two. This game here is pure ****
  100. Jun 7, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was, honestly, an utterly pathetic attempt. Gameplay is over simplistic, the devs have a horrendous disregard for the fluff (terminators can't do backflips) and the campaign is dull and unimaginative. Not to mention the fact that we only get three races to play with a hint at a fourth in the end cutscene. This from a setting that has over a dozen different factions is simply not acceptable. Sadly this has fallen into the same trap that EA did with battlefront. Relic could have easily made something incredible, and instead they made something tragic. Expand

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 5, 2017
    The new Warhammer is a classic strategy in core, but simplified to MOBA elements. It combines the gameplay of the first Dawn of War with the latter, and it certainly works nice. [Issue#275]
  2. Jun 30, 2017
    DOW 3 is trying very hard to satisfy many target groups -RTS players, online competitors, mobs fans- but in the end it fails to deliver something memorable.
  3. games(TM)
    Jun 23, 2017
    The games that play out as intended - courtesy of the twists that Relic has brought into the franchise this time around - well, those will stay in your mind as some of the most intense RTS games you'll ever have. [Issue#188, p.74]