World in Conflict PC

8.1

1. CB
    Nov 10, 2008
    I bought this game and still I only made it through the first few missions then gave up never to bother trying it again. The free demo for Command and Conquer 3 is MUCH more fun than this although it is obviously an incomplete game. Your role in WIC is relegated to mindless point and clicking. I cannot emphasize enough how little fun this game is. Once again, I bought it based on the I bought this game and still I only made it through the first few missions then gave up never to bother trying it again. The free demo for Command and Conquer 3 is MUCH more fun than this although it is obviously an incomplete game. Your role in WIC is relegated to mindless point and clicking. I cannot emphasize enough how little fun this game is. Once again, I bought it based on the reviews and only played it for 1-2 hours before I never touched it again. Lesson is: never buy a game before trying the demo. Expand
  2. JakeK.
    Jan 19, 2008
    A triumph in symmetry and genericism. Remove the graphics from this game and you have nothing more than a generic strategy game with very bad controls, even C&C 3 is better than WIC and that's not saying much. Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy this stinker. Try the demo first as the press reviews are based purely on graphics and not game-play.
  3. Tal
    Feb 3, 2008
    Come on! Didn't symmetrical faction design die in the 90's. Was all the time spent making this game look pretty so that it would get good reviews?Seriously, this could have been so much better. What a waste.
  4. BenderJ.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Seeing the press reviews for this game really makes me laugh. If you like RTS games, it is plainly obvious how bad World in Conflict is after an hour. It was made more for people that like to click and not think. The factions are boring and even worse 99% symetrical across the board. If you are going to make a game as simple and mind numbing pointless as WIC, the developers could have Seeing the press reviews for this game really makes me laugh. If you like RTS games, it is plainly obvious how bad World in Conflict is after an hour. It was made more for people that like to click and not think. The factions are boring and even worse 99% symetrical across the board. If you are going to make a game as simple and mind numbing pointless as WIC, the developers could have atleast made three unique factions, but oh well. To truly see if this sticks for you, download the demo, play on low detail settings. If you're not board within 20 minutes, maybe wic is the game for you. Personally, I definatly won't be buying a sequel or expansion for this turd. Expand
  5. ChrisB.
    Oct 9, 2007
    Wow I thought..RTS of the Operation Flashpoint genre...symmetrical factions...click-crazy w/no real inspiration...how can you nuke a town then move right back in? To truly play you have to zoom so far out that the beauty of the detail is lost...bored by 3 go-around in multiplayer...stick w/Company of Heroes if you must RTS
  6. RaidetJ.
    Oct 25, 2007
    This had so much potential. Graphics and game engine are great. Problem is that you're dragged around from one objective to the next by the pubic hair so quickly, you never get the chance to think and employ any actual strategy. You just have to go back and replay the missions until you're satisfied with your clearance of the objectives. Because of this, it's reminiscent of This had so much potential. Graphics and game engine are great. Problem is that you're dragged around from one objective to the next by the pubic hair so quickly, you never get the chance to think and employ any actual strategy. You just have to go back and replay the missions until you're satisfied with your clearance of the objectives. Because of this, it's reminiscent of Dragon's Lair (remember that?). Do exactly what the game is trying to get you to do at exactly the right time, and you'll complete your objectives. Stray even slightly from this path and you lose. Collapse
  7. OrenthalJ.
    Dec 6, 2007
    This is probably the worst game I've played this year. Even after four patches, it's still stupidly unstable. The interface freezes a lot, and commands don't "clear". Using hotkeys to select groups of units often causes a lot of commands in the bottom left corner of the screen to be greyed out when they shouldn't be. Commands like "stop" and "hold fire". This is This is probably the worst game I've played this year. Even after four patches, it's still stupidly unstable. The interface freezes a lot, and commands don't "clear". Using hotkeys to select groups of units often causes a lot of commands in the bottom left corner of the screen to be greyed out when they shouldn't be. Commands like "stop" and "hold fire". This is probably the worst RTS I've ever played, just because it plays like an arcade game. Yes, I know, "it's an RTT". That's a great cliche and all, except for the problem that there is no such genre as that, and it's being used as a copout excuse to mask the fact that Massive failed to design a decent RTS instead of having to say, simply, "Sorry, we failed to design a decent RTS." The fact that Gamespot has given this game a 9.5 just means I'll never read Gamespot again. It's that terrible. This game was fuelled by hype, and 100% of the revenue it brings in is due to that hype. Not due to a quality game. Whatever Gamespot employee thinks this game is worth even a 5.0 should be shot. This is the "ET: The Extra Terrestrial" of the modern era. I can't even imagine how much worse the Xbox version must be. Expand
  8. DominickM.
    Sep 16, 2007
    Limited units. Lack of true diversity among the factions. Awesome graphics, but gameplay gets old fast. This is not an RTS -- its some FPS/RTS hybrid that does mediocre on both fronts. I could be biased here, but I felt the game was far less about strategy then it was about properly using your tactical aids and unit special abilities. This gives it a very arcade-ish feel. Game lacks depth.
  9. Hulk
    Sep 17, 2007
    One of the more shallow and boring strategy games I've had the chance to play in years. If you like pretty graphics and mindless strategy, this game is for you.
  10. SeanE
    Sep 19, 2007
    WIC has good graphics with simplified commands. The program is designed to be an arcade shooter with minimal strategy. What I would like to see is a turn-based Play By Email ("PBEM") game to allow more tactics and strategy. In addition, a slow paced PBEM game would allow more units in the game. As the game lacks any significant strategy it only get a four.
  11. Mike.np
    Sep 23, 2007
    There is far more strategy in burning ants with a magnifying glass than playing WIC. Play the demo before buying the game.
  12. GlowBug
    Jan 24, 2008
    A not so perfect blend of fantastic visuals and horrible gameplay. If you like games that look great, but play like a hard turd in an ice storm, World in Conflict is for you.
  13. GaboB.
    Sep 23, 2007
    What a waste of designing talent! This is a first person shooter with multiple units, No strategy at all. You are just required to create a number of unites and send them to figth. Beautifully modeled units though!

1. PC Format
    Another masterpiece from the folks at Massive, and one of the most beautiful visions of warfare you're ever likely to see. [Oct 2007, p.30]
    It’s not very often that a real-time strategy title comes along and changes the way you think about the genre. World in Conflict is one of those, not because all of the ideas are totally new, but because they’re all put together in such a successful way.
  3. PC Gamer
    With its combination of dazzling graphics and fast, tactical gameplay, I can easily see World in Conflict becoming a favorite of competitive clans and LAN parties everywhere. [Nov 2007, p.72]