5.1

1. Jul 3, 2011
    All the users giving this game below a 6 are idiots,
    I have been playing this game since CBT and i have to say the improvements to this game have been staggering, I have been playing USA/German tanks and have NO issues killing Russian tanks.

Graphics- to me they are dated around 2007, however for this game it works. animations for the tanks firing smoke and sparks, demolished tanks look
    great, New updates Upgraded maps and made them look more believable.

Sounds- this is where i have issues with the game. the sounds for every tank are the same. all the guns sound the same, all the tank engines sound the same, tracks are the same and hits are the same.
    There are no good sounds for tanks getting hit in the distance, shells wizzing by or pinging.

Gameplay- the mechanics of this game are solid, with more improvements coming, i cannot review this to much. but what is here works great. Final thought- To manny people give up on this game, they get to tier 4 and get fusterated, they look at it as a grind. I have 2 tier 9 tanks 1 tier 3,5,7,8 and i play them all. every tank has its purpose yet people cant understand what a light tank is for, or why a tank destroyer cant rush in a enemy base and survive.

Tips Scouts are fast tanks used for killing Arty or scouting enemy's, do not get shot, if you see lots of enemy's don't rush them. turn back and scout another area,

TD(tank destroyers) Do not rush in the front lines, stay back a bit and snipe. a bush will do nice since your tank is so low its harder to see.

Heavy and artys don't need tips just have common sense and you can play the,. NEVER solo, stay with a few tanks and pick enemy's off.

Guys just give it a try and learn your roll for tanks,
  2. Apr 16, 2011
    Amazing game!
    Lot of fun, amazing battles! I rly love it ! You can go for USA, German and Russian tanks. Lot's of options and additional stuff to buy to own on battlefield.
  3. Oct 14, 2011
    World of tanks is a wonderful idea done wrong. I've played it for a week and then gave up. The premise of having upgradable tanks is really neat, but the devs have their heads up their arses. Battles are fought from automatically matched teams and this is the killing point. After playing for a few days and upgrading your tank you will end up being outgunned 95% of the time. It's like playing CS with only a glock. You will spend your time speccing battles you cannot possibly influence. Expand
  4. Dec 17, 2012
    Grinding is not fun. The cost of faster advancement is not cheap. You can easily spent more than $100 on this game.

You will be cycled through a pattern of being frustratingly weak and slow, until you upgrade your tank fully. You can either then try to get your crew experience if you enjoy fighting in that tier and want to stick to a tank, or move on and restart a new cycle of
    frustration and upgrading. Those who upgraded or have paid, will enjoy destroying others in your helpless state... "zomg, I killed 5+ tanks! So epic!"

I personally got fed up by Tier 3/4. I finally found a tank I liked, the German "Luchs", but the reward for the grind just wasn't very satisfying. Some have said that Tier 6 tank that my Luchs can research into, a VK2801 or something, was amazing, but I rather not play a game with so much grinding, unless it had a better social aspect.

To say the least, I really like the music.
  5. Mar 4, 2012
    All you need to know about about World of Tanks is that it will NEVER be more fun than the first 5-8 hours you put into it; in fact, you will end up chasing the novelty and fun of those first few days for the remainder of the time you remain committed to World of Tanks. Because after you have tiered up and onto battlefields where Tier V+ tanks are present, the game just begins this stifling exponential decay curve regarding fun. If you have managed to only invest time in your tanks and not any $$$ up to this point (which *is* possible if you are the glutton for punishment type) you will nearly immediately find yourself compelled not only to upgrade to a premium account but also to purchase large chunks of gold at $20-$30 at a time just to eke out a little more fun and novelty. And if you decide to rage against this machine that wargaming.net has constructed for you (not advisable), you will be rewarded with a smoldering, charred metal corpse of a tank just about every time you play. Don't be fooled, this game is eventually p2p and the reality is that by the time you are "encouraged" to pay. . . it's just not all that worth it any more. Enjoy, but be advised. Expand
  6. Mar 29, 2012
    Free to play - Pay to win. In a nutshell, that is WoT for you. Well, mind you, it's a given that F2P games somehow have to give you an "incentive" to spend some money on them, but aside of the even more horribly lopsided F2P Battlefield I've not seen anything like this in the F2P field. Let's even ignore for a moment the fact that as a F2P player you have to spend ridiculous amounts of time to actually "level up" because the amount of XP you get per battle is ridiculously low, as a "free" player you are, essentially, the target dummy for the paying community. You're not their player, you're essentially part of the product being sold, kinda-sorta like a bot with some brains, there to make those feel good that shelled out some dough for it. You get invariably dumped into games where you're on the lower end of the spectrum, which more often than not leads to you being pretty much unable to put even a dent into their armor. It gets old kinda fast if you keep shooting at an enemy from behind (where it should be "softer") countless times for exactly zero effect before he finally realizes you're there, turns his turret and blows you out of existence. More because you're an inconvenience rather than a threat. Sure, I could buy some "premium ammo" for real money, then I might get to score a hit from time to time. But you may think it's temporary, and all you have to do is to get to the next tier of tanks, then you'll be on top of the roster. You will not, because now you get tossed into a battle of the same **** combination as before, just one tier higher. But that's not even your problem. You're now again in a "stock" tank without any improvements, in other words, you're not only the runt of the litter, your crate now also sucks on top of it. So you improve it, you spend countless battles where you're little more than the target dummy for some paying player... the treadmill repeats itself until you're finally fed up and give up. I somehow wonder if there are any "free" players in the higher tiers at all... Or what do you shoot at when you spent a few hundred bucks on this game and managed to get to tier 10? Do you have to play against others who did the same? And keep spending to stay in the game? Sorry. I don't mind dropping a few bucks to a game I like, but when a F2P game starts to cost more than a premium title, without being anything close to premium, something's terribly wrong. Expand
  7. Feb 4, 2011
    You will have an awesome time with this shooter up until you start trying to work up and over tier 4 tanks. You will hit a big roadblock where things cost tens of thousands of experience points to buy but you only get 50-100 per match because your weapon cannot hurt the other tanks you will be matched up with (which is the main source of experience points in this game, dealing damage to enemy tanks.) The matchmaker is horrific. My friends and I call this game Rage of Tanks because it is difficult to get through two concurrent matches with swearing out-loud. If you have an awesome time getting mauled to death every match while you slowly build up experience points to buy the next gun upgrade or turret upgrade so that you can buy a gun upgrade to be able to get a better amount of points out of matches then you should have an awesome time playing this game and I highly recommend it. This is the most horrific grind-fest I have ever played, a game only for hardcore masochists. Expand
  8. Aug 18, 2013
    I've decided to update my review, as some changes dramatically improved the game play over the past 2 years.

First, the matchmaker spread was greatly reduced so the silly situations where you could not damage any part of enemy tank (including its rear) no longer happen for the most part. They improved the graphics and removed all pay to win advantages so that you can buy premium
    ammo/equipment with credits and all the premium tanks are much weaker than elited standard vehicles.

At this point you can only speed up your grind with money. This applies mostly to credits, as you can only convert experience between tanks (with some limits) for money, you can't directly pay money to unlock a tank. Premium Account is a must if you are serious about the game, it's 10€ per month and it's the only thing you should buy.

The major problem at this point is the player base. It's absolutely astonishing to watch this many braindead people playing this game, without grasping any concept of armor and cover whatsoever. It would literally take one day to implement a bot that would play smarter than at least 70% of players. This is mostly a problem because Wargaming refuses to implement any sort of skill-based match matching. Therefore, especially on weekends, the game turns into frustrating series of matches where you play 1 vs 29 simply because your team mates are retarded.

And while this could be easily solved, it most likely won't ever be. I'm rating it 6 mostly because of the terrible experience this game brings at times. On the other hand there isn't any competition when it comes to tank shooters, so it's most certainly worth to at least give it a try.
  9. May 29, 2011
    If you can look past the lack of any sort of story/plot/etc. and focus on the actual gameplay, World of Tanks can be quite enjoyable. Like Counter Strike, this game doesn't have an engrossing story, it's all about the hot tank on tank action. Above all else, this game is quite fun, especially if you're a World War II fan or tank fan, like I am.

The combat can be swift, tactically
    challenging and all around a blast to play. There's a wide variety of tank types to play, from the Leichtraktor (loltraktor), MS-1 and T1 Cunningham, to the awe inspiring, 200 ton Maus, the swift and deadly IS-7, the devestating T30, and almost everything in between.

The game features fairly realistic hit location specific damage. Shoot one in the engine, and the enemy tank might catch fire, burning to death. Shoot his gun and you can destroy his accuracy. Shoot his treads to knock them off and immobilize him for a bit, so your team can finish him off. It does have it's flaws, and I'll discuss those:

1) It ain't free. I have yet to play a pay for free game that was actually free, and this is no exception. As long as you're willing to pony up a few dollars to help get you started though, it will likely be worth it.

2) Russian bias. Many of the Soviet tanks are overpowered for what seems like no good reason. It's an ongoing hot topic of discussion on the forums how the developers will nerf an American/German tank sighting "balance" reasons, while buffing an already overpowered Soviet tank like the IS-4 for "historical accuracy". A great example is the Su-85 tier 5 tank destroyer. Fully upgraded, it's capable of performing better than the Jagdpanzer German tank destroyer which is a tier above it. Another example is the KV. Easily upgraded, a decent KV driver can decimate an entire team by himself. Another example is the IS vs. the Tiger. The Tiger, the most powerful tank of its era, is little more than a paperweight until fully upgraded, while the IS is a solid tank almost from the first moment you get it. The list goes on.

3) Platoons. You have to pay gold (purchased with real money) to have a premium account, and only then can you form a platoon to play with up to 2 friends. This one issue almost made me not want to play anymore. In order to play a multiplayer game with my multiplayer friends, I have to pay real money? You're kidding, right? Well, I decided I liked the game enough to try it out for a month... and here I've paid for another month of premium. This is still the biggest issue in my mind, not being able to play with the friends you make in the game seems really silly. I can see how it could cause the game community to lack cohesion and longevity over time.

4) SPGs or self propelled guns. They suck the fun right out of the game. They're capable of 1-shotting tanks even 2 tiers higher than them from across the map, and they amount to little more than a griefer mechanic. They are a good idea, but are in need of some balancing or some game mechanics retooling. If you're in a good tank brawl, blasting away at the enemy, and taking hits from them, take a deep breath, because your good fun is always just 1 SPG shot away from being ruined. Most battles quickly devolve into hiding from the SPGs more than dealing with the enemy tanks, which slows down the game tempo, destroying the flow of the game and turning it into a campfest rather than a tank vs. tank slugfest.

There are many battles I've had that have overcome the SPG issues, often times by having our SPGs take theirs out early on, our light tank scouts take them out, or the other team simply not spawning with very many SPGs (or even 0!) and these fights that occur SPG-free are almost always fun and rewarding.

The gameplay is quite fun. Tanks hide in cover behind buildings, conceal themselves in bushes, rush in wolfpacks, flank their opponents in pincer attacks, and various other maneuvers to gain the upper hand. Almost every tank has a different playstyle to learn and use effectively. Played well, even a low tier tank can have a devastating impression on the enemy. Played poorly, your high tier tanks will effectively sabotage their own team by denying them an essential element of the team's composition. Player skill accounts for as much of the effectiveness of their tank as the tank crew and equipment they have on it. Reveling in the challenge of learning the intricacies of these tanks and playing them to their fullest is what has kept me playing this game for the past couple of months, and I don't intend to stop.

World of Tanks is by no means perfect, but the developers have designed a good mixture of arcade action and WWII tank simulation that I think most WWII tank fans would find enjoyable. It's certainly worth the download, since it's free.
  10. Jul 17, 2011
    The game starts slowly and builds on solid tactics and awesome kills. Teamwork,Solo,Wallet Warrior or total free loader, it all plays the same. The first tank you are given is a one shot tin can, it is so awesome to see the difference as time goes by just how much better the tanks get. Speaking of which there are several different kinds. Heavy tanks rule the roost as far as front line gauntlets soaking damage. Medium tanks work best as hit and run grinders. Light tanks run in as close as possible to the action to spot out the tank positions. SPG's (self propelled guns) are the real firepower of the game laying out tremendous damage from across the map but they are balanced well with a firing ring and timing needs. The firing ring is essentially just a circle of dots where the shell may theoretically hit. Destroying a tank at full speed is a sight to behold. Finally Tank Destroyers are the snipers of the game so to speak, staying in cover for ambush operations. Every type has its strengths and weaknesses which make for some interesting battles to say the least. The 'lobby' is basically your hangar, which is graphically just more fancy with a premium (paid) account and with premium comes other perks such as bonus XP in battle. The game really does exhibit some depth of play and a lot of work has obviously been put into the interface/leveling system. The experience you get per battle will vary depending on your performance as well as winning or losing. As for in-game currency you have Credits with which to purchase items like tanks and modules to mount. The Gold in-game is valuable to convert your experience that you've earned into a lump sum of XP called FREE XP. That free XP can be used for upgrades on other tanks/modules and converting it with gold bought with real world money is really not an advantage other than saving time. The premium tanks bought with in-game gold are already fully equipped and seem to yield higher than normal XP/Credits per round. End-Game is just as fun as there are usually about 4 tiers of tanks in any one battle up to and including tier 10 which at the time of this review is only available for the Heavy tanks and maybe a Destroyer or two. There are also currently 3 factions, Russia (Dev's are Russian ((hint hint)) America and Germany. All can compete also in not just solo random matches but in platoons with friends of up to 3 people and companies of up to 15 people and with a Clan (guild) system as well. There is even a world map of domination gameplay where some of the larger clans battle for countries on a global scale. All in all....I cannot recommend this game highly enough. Just be prepared for some early frustration in the newbie tanks and some grinding into the upper tiers as per any MMO. Thanks for reading. Expand
  11. Sep 19, 2013
    This is an MMO-style game.
    If you have ever played any you will know that grinding is a part of gameplay unless you have a big team (in WoT's case, 15 people minimum).
    Game has 10 tiers of tanks, and as you might expect, the higher you get, the longer it takes to 'level up' (or... 'tier up'). Personally, after good 2 years of half hardcore half casual gameplay, I have just 2 Tier 10
    vehicles, mostly because top tier's are not always the most entertaining ones. On top of that I own ~20 vehicles between tiers 5 and 9, often unlocked out of curiosity.

To all beginners: this game may be similar to LoL, but it's much more maths/estimation based. You have numbers: armor thickness, penetration, damage, angles weakspots etc that you have to all take into consideration when fighting against stronger enemies. It has a fairly steep learning curve, and it takes time to memorize characteristics of most common tanks in the game.
    Also, if you came here for historical battles, you will be disappointed. This game is actively balanced, meaning Tigers and even King Tigers are just Tier 7 and 8, meaning 20+ tanks can roflstomp you easily if you don't roll your armor using at least a little strategy.

Lastly, the only reason I am giving it 9 out of 10, is because I did experience the feeling you get when you keep getting vs 2-Tier-Higher-Tanks style battles (which used to be up to 5 Tier higher in early days). Which can and will be annoying until you get to know the armor you fight against
  12. May 7, 2013
    World of Tanks is a game based entirely on an RNG (Random Number Generator). Any veteran of the game will tell you, that basically, nothing matters. Every single aspect of the game boils down to the RNG and the vague boundaries that are defined in its algorithms. No-one knows exactly how it works, but what is known is that you have as good a chance at succeeding at one thing, as you do failing at it. The in game numbers listed on the weapons and tanks are almost completely irrelevant, because the actually mathematics used to determine armor penetration and damage are so convoluted and apparently outside the bounds of what is listed or logical, that its meaningless.

Wold of Tanks is a game designed to completely remove player input, decision making, and "skill" with the use of the RNG to determine everything from whether you can hit your target, to whether you can even SEE your target, and its built around a game that gives the illusion of actual action based, skill oriented gameplay. The intent of the game is to allow everyone to be able to succeed, regardless of skill level or investment. In this way, it gets significant props and can never be accused of being "pay to win" because everyone is at the mercy of the RNG and its modifiers.

The game also can manipulate individual player accounts to keep them within a certain "success metric" in order to make you want to keep playing, and keep folks from getting frustrated. Its not known the exact number, but it seems as though the sweet spot is somewhere between 48-51. That is, the game will manipulate your ingame performance behind the scenes (by performance i mean your chance to penetrate/be penetrated, damage, etc) to keep your win rate somewhere between 48% 51%. If you get above around 52.25% win rate a modifier of varying intensity gets put on your account that causes your shots to penetrate less often, and your armor to be more susceptible to penetration and damage, until your win rate drops back down to the target global ratio. The games matchmaker works brilliantly in that it lumps people together who are above or below the curve, and places them against folks at appropriate levels to balance out the regional server winrate. IE, the people on your team are most likely all either doing too poorly, or too well, and are being placed against a team that they are highly likely to either win or lose against, thus bringing both groups of players up or down in winrate as necessary to keep the golden 48-51 ratio. Its quiet an impressive algorithm, but it completely removes the competitive aspect of the game and renders everything you do meaningless. It is of course possible to go above or below the global ratio, if you are just absolutely deliberately trying to do badly or have a really good group of friends you play with that are capable of overcoming the account modifiers (this is hard to do, the game limits groups of friends called "companies" to 3 per match. each match is 15vs15 so its very, very hard for 3 people no matter how skilled to change the outcome, although its very possible if your company is skilled and coordinated).

However, rarely, you will get a match that is balanced with the Matchmaker algorithm not trying to promote or demote anyone. When this happens the game really shines, and its a shame that the game is built around the model that it is, because the game can be very fun. Unfortunately everything is designed to be very comfortable and to prevent anyone from either falling too far behind or getting too far ahead, in order to encourage spending money on the in-game real world items and "premium time" (which increases your rate of experience gain for leveling up tanks). It is obviously a very successful system, as the game has done extremely well, but after playing awhile it becomes utterly soul-less and unsatisfying and only the absolute die-hards or the folks that have spent vast amounts of real world currency hang around beyond the tier 5 or 6 vehicles (out of possible 10 tiers).
  13. Jan 18, 2012
    First of all I have to say game is fun at the times, but it is also very frustrating so you can easily forget the fun part. I'm used to grinding games, I'm grind addict. I don't mind spending hours and hours to get to the next tank. I don't think tanks should be "skipped" just to get to the last tank possible asap. Every tank you play has its strengths and weaknesses, there isn't perfect tank. I wouldn't consider this game free 2 play, its more like a demo you get to play for free. If you want to advance in the game to the end tier you will need to pay for premium account. Although I have around 4000 matches played, I'm still not bored even though game lacks game modes badly. Maps are poorly designed in my opinion, maybe a bit too small too. Most of the maps are either fully open with hardly any cover, or you get 2-3 narrow passages, then it becomes stupid lemmings train match (everyone goes to one side). But all that isn't as bad as matchmaking system which kills ALL of the fun out of the game. Seems like it gets worse with every next patch they release. Now don't get me wrong, I know each tanks' role and what it is supposed to do. I don't mind being placed in tier 8-10 match in tier 4 light tank. Let me give you example of terrible matchmaking. You drive KV-3 (tier 6), very slow (so its not scout), and it gets you into tier 8-10 matches with more than half of the team being 9-10 tier. You really stand no chance in such game. I mean you can still win if your team is good enough, but then again where is the fun playing such match? You cant really damage anything, you can just hide and hope to get that last shot on someone. There are many examples like that you will 80% of your games be thrown into unfair matches. You will be on the bottom of the list, and that's when frustration comes in. Tank companies on the other hand have tier limits which is good, and I don't see any reasons why "standard" battle mode isn't using same rules. WG devs just want to force you to buy premium account so you can get to the tier X ASAP and then forget about lower tier tanks... What's the point... I want to enjoy playing every tank not just tier X. And do you know why? Because nothing really changes at that tier, sure tanks may be looking more cool. Have more ammo and firepower, but the gameplay stays exactly the same. It never evolves to something. And all this could be easily forgiven (long grinding, poor map designs, very rude community if I may add, lot of kids etc.) if it wasn't for that terrible matchmaking system which day refuse to improve just so you can spend your money on the game. It is fail Free 2 play title. Expand
  14. Apr 15, 2011
    This is a great game! I haven't had this much fun in ages. Nothing like rolling down the battlefield as a modern day knight bringing the pain to the unsuspecting enemy tanks! =)
  15. Apr 16, 2011
    First of all, I am a freak for WW2 tanks, and armor, and because of that, when I heard for this game, I knew I had to play it. I said "No matter how bad it may suck, I am going to like it, because it is ww2 armor". Oh, how wrong was I.
    By the shallowness of the reviews of the people who gave this game high scores, you can tell what kind of people are impressed by this game. Kids. This is a
    grindfest. It is NOT free. Sure, you can play for free, but only if you are a masochistic freak, and if you want to play XXX battles with a tank, just to get to the new one and start over. Horrible.
    Next, there are no game modes except for random battles. If you pay for free you wont be able to take your friend to battle with you, so that much for multiplay, and fun with friends.
    That said, the balancer that makes these random matches sucks SO BAD, that on the loading screen, where you see the tanks, you already know what team is going to win. There are many OP tanks, idiot noobs that make you lose a game, in game credits, and prolong the already hellish grindfest.

Lastly, I played this from the time of the closed beta stage, back in 2010, and the game is the very same now, in the release version. The version is 0.6.3.10 obviously half of a game. There are supposed to be 3 nations, Germany, USSR and USA. The USA tank destroyer tree is missing, level 8 SPG are missing for all nations. Tons of bugs and imbalances are being reported all over the official forums, no one is doing ANYTHING. Calling this a free MMO is a lie. It is a single player game unless you pay for it. But dont bother. Just lots of frustration and anger here.
  16. Apr 16, 2011
    I was beta testing the game. Now it went life, with still some glitches that will be ironed out in the next few months. More goodies are promised such as new game modes and the endgame content.

The game is advertised as free to play. This is true... but when you play for free it is one of the most frustrating games you may spend your time on. Even with the premium account, you will be
    frustrated many times, but without you will really feel the pain. Bear in mind that amount of money you can spend on this game to get this extra bit of edge is nearly unlimited. Actually, when you spend *a lot* of money (say $10 for premium account and $0.05-0.5 for each battle (say you do 10 battles per hour, you spend less at the beginning) + possibly some additional $$ for experience transfers between tanks [can be substantial, depends on your style] and premium tanks), you will be in a very enjoyable game. Skill still matters, but without a premium account you will be *very* frustrated (as you will not earn enough in-game money to buy tanks you got the exp for, so you need to grind just for in-game money, you will not have spare money to put rather useful extras on your tank etc). As for the in-game money and leveling, without premium account things will take maybe two-three times as long. In the end, without premium ammo (which is significantly more powerful - often makes a difference between damaging enemy tank solidly and damaging it much, much less or not at all) you will be still frustrated from times to times, but, as relatively few players use premium ammo in normal battles, it is bearable.

The game will also give you some great experiences from time to time, but - if you are inexperienced and play for free - those will be rare when compared to times you feel frustrated.

Social play: first of all, you or your friend needs to have premium account to take part. Then, it can be great fun, even in the random battles (which are the majority of play). In a well coordinated platoon (up to 3 persons) you will have much higher chances of winning. Still, this is not common at the initial grind, and, realistically, if you don't play with friends you know before, you will have to join a clan (guild) to have a chance to play in platoons without too much troubles. There is no option in the game to easily group with other people (company battles may be, such an option, but at the moment you first need to grind to tanks high enough) - as such you need to be in a clan to realistically enjoy tactics and group play.

As for the end-game content, well, it is not released at the moment in the US. It may be good, but your clan will have to be at the very very top and competitive to get anything out of it. I did not experienced it (as it was not in beta test and is not released), but it seems to be just for few players.

I chose to not pay for the game and treat it extremely casually or quit completely. I would stay if everyone had exactly same chances for given price a month (sort of the system in beta, where we were getting same amount of gold [premium game currency] into the account as part of the test which was quite fair). As it is now, when everyone can buy as much gold as one wants for $$, the game is not fair anymore. Though, if you pay, you can enjoy it a lot... the more you pay, the more you will enjoy it... Note, however, that skill is still important and those who pay and have skill, and play in well coordinated platoons, will have no troubles to deal with players who are relatively skilled but not in platoons and thus not well coordinated. Not to mention those who are relatively unskilled, as you will be when you start playing [luckily early levels are a bit more forgiving, so you have chance to learn. Still, in beta, often it felt that, in fact, playing the lowest tier tanks is the most fun]. Hope it help.
  17. Apr 18, 2011
    This game is perfect for all types, hence the micro-transaction feature. Casuals will love jumping in from time to time to shoot around and charge headlong into death, while more serious players will pay for gold and join a clan for some real battles (i.e. teamwork!). The sheer amount of variety is incredible, with at least 6 nationalities to be represented by the end of the year. People complain about the premium features, but you get a top-notch game, which if you purchase one of the larger packages (I preordered 25000 gold for 90.00, normally 100.00: 2,500 buys premium for one month. Using gold for just subscription averages out to 10.00 a month.), it averages out to less than a WoW subscription. Last I checked, WoW didn't have tanks, tank destroyers and artillery! The lower gold amounts are also reasonable. The environments are well detailed and the tanks are accurate and gorgeous at higher graphic settings. Cover is supplied in great quantity, which is important to avoid fire and for camouflage. The development team has gone to great pains to keep these machines historically accurate for their time period and specifications, so shooting at the front plate of a Royal Tiger with an M4 Sherman just isn't going to cut it! Coordinating tactics are essential to get the most out of this game. There are some downsides. Glitches/bugs are still present and rear their ugly heads on occasion. Sometimes your radar will go blank, or tanks that shouldn't disappear do. The voice chat is horrendous, so you may find yourself using Skype or a Ventrilo server. Many times the matchmaking system will lump too many of one type together, making it difficult to achieve victory. There is a general chat; but flame throwing will quickly turn you off to that feature. Earning xp and credits (in-game currency) can be difficult if you don't upgrade; but that's just par for the course for an MMO. Upgrading is vital, and 20 mm of extra armor is worth the 5000 xp you spend for the upgrade. You may find yourself spending your gold on credits, but just be patient! However, with the release date just 6 days ago, this is a small amount of grief for a great game. Patches have been released on a regular basis, and the development team really cares about maintaining quality; they actually LISTEN to the forums! With the amount of content slated for release, and the relatively low price of a premium subscription, you should at least give this great period game a shot for a month. You've paid more for console games with a LOT less quality, and even if you don't spend the cash, there's just something so gratifying about shooting stuff from time to time. Give it try! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how much a 'freebie' has to offer! Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    World of Tanks. 0 out of 10.
    1) I started as a closed BETA tester in October of 2010. With a free chunk of game gold given to each player everyday I could afford a premium account with my friends so that we could platoon and actually get into the same battle with each other and be on the same team. At first the game was a lot of fun. Low tier battles pitting small mostly equal tanks
    against one another were fun to play and led to only minor frustration on occation. However as the game goes on the ammount of grinding required becomes laughably stupid. The highest I got to was the tier 9 (there are 10 tiers) VK 4502 German heavy tank. The ammount of xp points to get the tier 10 Maus was close to 200 thousand. Since release, players who do not pay for their game gold dont have access to a premium account meaning high tier tanks are more or less out of reach. This is because a premium account gives you a 50% increase in xp after each battle. Players without this bonus are in for a long hard grind.
    2) As I said earlier you cannot play in the same game with your friends unless you have a premium account, which after release means you pay money. This means that if you don't feel like shoveling out dough for a broken game (more on this later) you will end up in battles with random people who are more than likely team killing trolls. WoT has more trolls than any online game I have ever played. From the typical chat box troll to people who team kill on purpose to selfish players who refuse to play as a team there is certainly a wide variety of dbags to help make this already frustrating game worse.
    3)The historical accuracy is so poor my friends and I have begun to call the game World of Russian Tanks. This is because by tier 5 the Russian tanks begin to display a huge advantage over their same tier counterparts from other nations. While nearly every historian or history buff will agree that German tanks were the best tanks of the war, the WoT devs don't seem to have gotten the memo. In fact the only advice I give to new players is play Russia... you'll die less that way.
    4) The game is broken and here is why. The entire spotting system is crap. Tanks in the distance have a habit of "jumping" across the map. Meaning that you think you have fired an accurate long range shot at a target only to realize seconds after firing that the game glitched out and you were shooting at his "ghost" when in reality your enemie's tank is many meters away from where it appeared to be on the map. Not only does this add to the frustration but it basically means WoT is like a house without a foundation. This also has nothing to do with computer strength as every player experiences it. There are also issues with "cloaked" tanks. Part of the game is camo and so some tanks or TDs will be able to fire while hidden. However the effect of camo is taken to a stupid level. There have been several times that I have had to nearly ram an enemy tank before it became visible on the map.
    All in all WoT was a great idea. But between the terrible spotting system, having to pay for a broken game just to play with friends, and the gross bias in favor of Russian tanks I have to give the game a 0. Ditch this crap... there are much better games out there.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    I love this game. {Game play}

one thing that surprised me was how deep the game play is. you really have to communicate with your team to win and try to inform your team what's happening. Ex: who you're attacking or bring they're attention to a spot on the mini map. they even give you 20 seconds to work out a plan. Ex: pure defense, spread out and make a bee line to the enemy base, or 7
    tanks defend the base while 2 groups of 4 go out to deal some damage, then 4 people from the base go to aid the groups while 3 stay behind just in case there's an enemy that the other groups didn't spot and or destroyed that is heading for your base assuming everyone gone out to attack. As you can see, this game kinda encourages strategy and communication. a team that doesn't have either will most likely lose, hence the players that like to suicide rush. there are also extremely helpful tips during the loading screen and those bits of knowledge are worth keeping in mind during battle. Ex:
    "Protect your artillery from light tanks, and they'll protect you from heavy ones."
    " A light or medium tank that believes he is a heavy tank won't last long."
    "Relocation is key to an artillery's survival"
    and you MUST wear headphones during battle, because the crew tells you everything that happens with your tank. this is key because:
    1. you don't always have time to glance down to your tank info screen in the heat of battle.
    2. so many things can happen to your tank and if the crew repairs the problem, they'll tell you what that mean to your game play. Ex:
    " the gun is knocked out!-We fixed the gun, but the accuracy will suffer."
    "The radio man is bleeding, we can't rely on him!"
    "The Engine is knocked out!-We fixed the Engine, but we can't go as fast"
    "the driver's a goner, the controls aren't responding!"
    " track hit, we're immobilized!-We fixed the track, lets go!"

{Tanks}

There are 5 classes of tanks in world of tanks.

Light tank: which excels at scouting and spotting for artillery since they are normally fast, up to 72 km/h.

Medium tanks: which excels at aiding the lights and flank missions.

Heavy tanks: which excels at pushing the team on and soaking up damage for they're team.

Tank Destroyers(TD): which excels at Defending the base and going on ambush missions.

Self Propelled Guns(Artillery): they are the primary fire power of the team. they're fire are in an arch and can cause serious damage to tanks and even one-shot lights, mediums, and tank Destroyers. The most important thing to remember is to press left shift to go in and out out hawk-eye view and once your in that view, the rest is self-explanatory.

( the problem is with SPGs and TDs is that you can't move your turret [the only tank that has a movable turret is the SU-26 SPG] and if you get attacked by the side or back, it's over)

you can research modules and guns through the experience you gain from battle, the experience you gain is the same amount of research points you get, and a bit of experience (commonly 5-20) gets converted to free experience, which you can use to research on any tank.

{Game modes}

The main game mode is standard battle that puts you in a random battle through an auto-team balancer, which can be ridicules at times, putting 6 lights on a team against on with 7 TDs. another one is training mode where you get to pick a map to play on and distribute the tanks that join ( if your the host) so you can be mean and put an entire team against one SPG. but since the matching in training mode is most likely unfair, you don't gain any experience or credits. the last one is tank company, where you can create a team through people joining or inviting friends or random people and when your team is ready to go, you press start and go through a auto-balancer to go against a team around your team level.( you don't have to have the full 15 players and if the team isn't people that know each other, it can take dozens of minutes to finally do battle.) You do get experience and credits. FYI: there is no tank limit to a team, so you can see a MS-1(starter tank) on a team with KV 3 (an elite heavy tank)

{Presentation}

the game is beautiful, the details of the land, the wind on the trees, the dust behind the tanks, the smoke from fallen tanks, the graphics are comparable to that of next gen consoles, so if you have a great computer with a powerful graphics card, prepared to be amazed. and the soundtrack , in my opinion, is the best out of any game I've played. the combat music is so intense and epic that it would make the worst campers jump into battle.

{Overall} this game to me is breath taking. I would recommend this game to anybody. there are a few bugs and stuff but it's version 0.6.3.11 so it's still in beta. NOW GO PLAY THIS GAME.
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    FPS in armored vehicles. I had mixed feelings when Ijoined up during their closed beta period in December 2010, but reckoned that it would be good enough to pass a couple of hours during the christmas holidays.

Boy was I wrong.. This game is addictive - severely. The developers have found a nice mix between pure arcade and historical simulation. The tanks are very nicely modelled
    graphically, including small details such as tool strapped to the outside, holes appearing from shell hits, and the landscape is absolutely amazing.

The game itself is easy to get into, and hard to master. Even though you can use in-game gold currency and the ingame Credits to buy items for your tank, they don't guarantee you a victory. You'll still be hit, you'll still depend on the other members of your team to win, and you'll still die. The good thing about the gold currency, is that it enables you to purchase premium status, which increases the amount of experience and credits your tank earns in battles. That allows you to progress faster through the various tanks, even though it is stil very much possible to do so without ever spending a dime on gold.

There are still some issues in the game, which the developers are working on, even if their patches isn't issued as frequently as in other games I've played. Now that the game has gone live, they will have to live up to their promises in the upcoming 0.6.4.0 patch, which should fix a whole slew of issues reported in the beta. I don't doubt they will be able to do this, since they seem very dedicated to their game. I've even met and played against some of them, and been able to beat them in a regular competion called Killed The Mods.. Got in game gold for my victory as well.

For a free to play game, World of Tanks is exceptional good value and fun. I'll be sticking to this game for quite a while, since they project it to run for at least 5 years, with content and new features added during the lifespan of the game. The next addition to the game, a global Clan Wars persistent world fighting for territories is going to be introduced this summer and sounds very interesting. Untill then I am playing with my clan mates in platoons and tank company battles, and thouroghly enjoying it.
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome! A great game with both arcade and deep RPG features. Never boring: fast-paced but strategic action with over a hundred tanks on a variety of ever-increasing maps. With Clan Wars coming soon it should prove to be quite the distraction from your otherwise tank-less life. Warning! It very addictive; if you have some sort of a tankophobia this is not the game for you.
  22. Apr 21, 2011
    Absolutely terrible game. it has officially launched and it's still a beta version. Basically all that you can do right now is start with a lowlie tier1 tank and get into 15 vs 15 PvP random battles. There is nothing more, only 15 vs 15 random battles in random maps and there are only about 12 maps). The matchmaking is extremely poor, just like in beta, as you progress you end up in battles against tanks that you can't even damage (where is the fun in that?) and they one-shot you. You can't create a group to play with your friends unless you pay a monthly premium subscription, which makes this game unable to compete with every other online multiplayer game. Tanks are completely unbalanced on all tiers, russian tanks are specially overpowered (because the developer company is Russian?). Artillery is absurdly designed and overpowered. Visibility is horrible, you often receive damage from invisible tanks, even at 10m from you. Avoid this beta game at all costs! Expand
  23. Apr 25, 2011
    Great game and very addictive. I started out playing this game with a few friends at a Lan party and still find myself playing it every night since. As it was free to play it was an easy sell to all of my friends and now i often have enough playing that I can usually form a 3 man platoon when i happen on in the evenings.

The game has just launched and there is still a lot of content
    slated for release. For me however that will all be icing on the cake as really enjoying what is already released. Expand
  24. Apr 25, 2011
    Think of this game as of Counter-Strike in tanks. Basically its all it is. So you did not find pve, quests, endgames, hundreds of maps and similar. Its old, good Counter Strike, much tactics very little brainless grinding. What's wrong with this game, then? I think it's very poor idea how to make profit at free-to-play game. To many premium items, unable to create platoon without premium account and boosting xp gain for real life cash. It's all not mandatory and is not influencing game that much. But on the other hand if so many elements is extra paid maybe it just should be a game with monthly subscription. The second thing that is annoying is amount of grinding. Advancing a tank from tier 2 to tier 3 takes around 40 games. I believe the only reason why so many games is required, is the game design. They tried to add endgame content (in this case tier 10 tanks) and such endgame should require some time spent to achieve. But on the other hand, does anyone searched endgame in Counter Strike? It was just a tactical shooter and as such WoT in my humbler opinion should stay.

Overall. Game is good, it's just not perfect and I'm not even sure if in the next 2 years it'll be here. But for now, it's kinda interesting tactical shooter. I recommend it, to give at least one shoot and try.
  25. Apr 27, 2011
    I've been playing world of tanks for about a year now. With 5000+ games in closed beta, about 1000+ since release, and way too much online time in game. At the moment its like a addictive FPS game except with upgradable Tanks, and shortly the clan-wars will be coming. That huge "Risk" type world domination map, looks "oh so sweet". So you can play casually, or play to stamp your clan logo all over the world, which ever suits your time limits and play style. Personally I cant wait for the clan-wars, Bring it on!. I don't really understand some of the negative reviews about the matchmaking, or not having the biggest tank in the game. The game is setup that you earn exp based on the level difference of the tanks. So if you happen to fall into a game where most of the tanks are bigger than you, then you earn a lot more experience for damaging them. Tanks have week spots, if you learn where to aim you can damage or kill the bigger enemy tanks and get earn a lot for it. The game does take a bit of skill and experience to get good at it, like most games, playing is easy, being good however takes more skill. Join, play, have fun, and get settled before clan-wars arrives. You wont regret it. Expand
  26. Apr 27, 2011
    Enjoyed this game since it first came out, played over 5000 battles in beta and nearly hitting 2000 in live and only a week in. I love the game and having the ability to control my tank and with teamwork control a platoon and drive around teaming our enemies. Lots of variety and with more things coming in time to come, it will be a great game now and into the future.
  27. Jun 3, 2011
    This is one of the most greedy "Free to play" games around. It's free if you wish to grind for 3 months to get to tier 8 tanks. I did in open beta, it's really boring. In the release, it's very EASY to spend 100$ a month on this game or more. The game recently introduced 2 tanks that are ~40$ each, and are ridiculously overpowered. So you either get those tanks to compete OR buy premium ammo to shoot at them at 2-4 cents per shot. Even those shots still bounce half the time. In terms of fun, the game has good moments, but those are rare. Most of the matches are predictable and newer players would have a terrible time playing low level tanks matched against 6+ month veteran ace tanks. Can you say R.A.P.E? This is what this game would feel to you, unless you spend a ton of money and buy premium account and one of the 40$ premium tanks.... Expand
  28. May 1, 2011
    A unique game among Free-to-Play games, quite varied, despite it's currently small offerings, though it still promises more. As a smaller development team, updates do take a while, encompassing major updates and bug fixes, rather than quick hot fixes and tweaks. The current vehicle selection offers a good variety of strategies, though finding ones favorite strategy and play style, and their current vehicle's play style, may be challenging. Some vehicles are very niche as well, and some of the well-known, big-name tanks may require a different mindset to use than what a player would expect. That said, with as much variety that the vehicles can have, for some, a slower-paced, team-based tank game where victory isn't achieved by simply slugging it out, may not be the best for them. This goes especially true when matchmaking is considered; players may face opponents that have be using stronger vehicles on paper, but can still be taken down by superior maneuvering and teamwork rather than relying on pure firepower and attrition. There are a few customizable parts of the interface, including icon modifications, cross hair modifications, and most commonly used, Tank skins, all made by a creative and active community. Expand
  29. May 1, 2011
    Game may be fun at first when you build up your hangar up to lvl 4 tanks, but then it gets absolutely tedious and imbalanced, with soviet models ruling the battlefield. To play past lvl 7 tanks you must donate. The most disappointing downside is that this game has only one game mode - 15v15 random deathmatch on a dozen of maps. And trust me - it gets old very very soon. And the most frustrating bug is when you cant see an artillery piece hiding in the bushes 15 meters away from you.

All those people giving it 10s - probably just played for fun for a couple of hours. You will really hate it after a month or two.
  30. May 5, 2011
    Novel idea is the main appeal of this game, but graphics look outdated and in general is looks and feel dodgy and unfinished. Tank balance is pretty bad and once you get in the higher levels it becomes even more apparent. On top fo this, their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced...even though i had a premium account they didn't give a damn and were about as helpful as a solar powered flashlight and downright rude. Expand
  31. May 11, 2011
    nice game easy come in and play
    nice people there too, easy lern
  32. May 11, 2011
    At first it's fun but then it's constant struggle and frustration. I played closed beta for 4 months then stopped. Now I started again and after two weeks I must say that it still has many flaws. Sure, it's free but playing without premium account is a pain. Additionally, developers are trying desperately to encourage players to spend some money by forcing you to fight against higher tier tanks. Believe me, after playing countless battles in which you can't damage anything you will hate this game. Some may say that it's a challenge but I think that fun factor is important and this game lacks it.
    Next con are maps. There are too few of them and some are really badly designed. Another important flaw is imbalance. Some tanks are much better then others of the same tier, eg. infamous Russian T-54. Avoid this game, not fun.
  33. May 14, 2011
    Update. We now have the situation where community feedback is not only being ignored by the DEVs but moderators of the forums are now being policed by the minute to stamp out as they call it threads that create unrest. In effect any posting discussing the failings of the game, the broken mechanics, the falling server populations is being met with a forum ban and removal of the thread. Never before in my life have I seen a community forum for a game being repressed in this way. So in short this is one to avoid. The DEVs are now only interested in scrambling as much gold sales before the game dies completely. This week has already seen a 25% drop in server population. Expand
  34. Jun 13, 2014
    This game ends up being at the top of the charts because of its base mechanics - driving the tank works, it's fun, intuitive and interesting. Yes, there are flaws; the match-making will drive you crazy and Putin (or someone else) has forced WarGaming into making some of the Russian tanks ridiculously strong and downgrade the German tanks from the strength they should have had. However, today the game is somewhat balanced and most of the time you can play a role in all battles as long as you choose the right one. It's not a free game if you want to really enjoy yourself (but games shouldn't be free) but you can't simply pay to win - that accusation is inaccurate. You can pay to have an advantage but it's not enough to replace skill.

If you like tanks or think it would be fun to drive one around and shoot at things, this is a great game to play. Whether you'll just mess around for a while and reach a casual middle tier game or if you'll work your way all the way up, hey, that's up to you. The tactical aspect and understanding of your vehicle adds for a very deep experience and even though your team will occasionally annoy you (welcome to playing online...), you'll generally enjoy yourself. Disregard stats and just focus on driving your tank, that's what the game is about.
  35. Mar 28, 2012
    Having played the game for just over four months, the only thin I can say is: unless you're ready to dish out serious amount of cash, this "free 2 play" online shooter is not worth it. Don't get me wrong, the game is tremendous fun until you get to about tier 4. Then you start being thrown into fights with tanks that can effortlessly one-shot you, while you can't even do any damage to them. This is where the fun stops, and you start a grim grind, getting ever higher tier tanks, thinking the next one will not suck so badly. But it does. And when you're up at tier 7-8 you will start losing money on battles, even if you play on a premium account. And higher tier tanks don't get any cheaper, so to keep your cash balance positive, to got to either play lower tier tanks again, or buy a money-making premium tank for 45 euro. Imagine, say, in WoW having to play several 40-50 level characters for the sole purpose of paying for the upkeep of your 85 level main character. That's a bad design right there, and the game is not fun at all when you get to that point. Sooner or later, it will become as a chore, playing just to get the daily experience bonus. I understand the company wants to make money off their game, but disguising World of Tanks as free to play just seems cheap to me. Expand
  36. May 18, 2011
    Great game and very well support from developers, a lot of patch and extra options. It have so much fresh breath that You want to play it all time, I recommend it for all, You will enjoy it a lot. II World War and tanks, what else You want?
  37. May 19, 2013
    World of Tanks is a great free2play title for several reasons:
    - Production values are great the graphics are very nice, gameplay is solid, quick reflexes are welcome bonus, yet far from necessity and you'd have to really suck at games in general not to get the hang of it during the first few matches. And you don't have to pay a dime for it.
    - You don't need to pay to win. Throwing money
    at the game will get you faster progress, less grinding. You won't get any significant advantages in combat. Only very few items that can be bought for gold (acquired for real money) cannot also be bought in some form for credits you make by playing the game. Only extra garage slots and premium tanks come to mind.
    - You are likely to throw some money at it anyway, simply because it feels like a full retail game experience that deserves to be paid for. (I may have spent around 150$ on the game over some 4 months, as far as I am concerned it was worth it. I don't really like grinding... or selling tanks I like, so, yeah a lot of garage slots were bought.)

Eventualy though, somewhere around tier 7 vehicles (out of 10) your tanks will start to make less credits than the costs of repairs and ammo refills, so you will have to either grind credits with lower tiered tanks, or pay for premium account, which gives you +50% credits/xp. So far I have just one tier 7 tank (Porshe Tiger) and unless I do at least average damage in a match, I lose credits on it.

Personally although I somewhat enjoy playing the Porshe Tiger, most of my favourite tanks are in fact tier 3 vehicles (most favourite being 38t). And you can get to tier 3 within a few hours.

What pisses me the most about WoT (besides scouting) is... the players..uhm.. expressing their discomfort with abilities of their teammates. Matchmaking if fairly random, so outside high tier battles most your team will be bad regardless of what you end up with, so stop whining about it. And then there are czechs and to some extent polish people spamming chat with their crap. (And I am czech, so I know.) That in particular however won't be a problem unless you are from europe.

Well, World of Tanks is still pretty enjoyable in the long term even if you are not into online stuff, random battles means random maps/enemies/game modes and there is always a lot of strategies you may want to try out with current setup. Various medals are attained for exceptional perfromance and usually you feel well rewarded for your efforts. It can be annoying when you end up being the worst tank in the roster, or when someone one-shots you at the first clash, or when you can't hit a thing with the artillery, but in most cases the game is still fun, you just need to find yourself the tanks you enjoy playing.

Oh and by the way I got to World of Tanks through Girls und Panzer anime. I'd reccomend to everyone getting a GuP music pack, personally I find it way more appropriate and more enjoyble than the original music. Fans may also consider using some of the voice packs (I used to use Hippo team, now I roll with the Turtle) or some other GuP related mods.

Panzer vor!
  38. Feb 23, 2012
    I honestly doesn't understand those 1s-3s scores. Does this game have a lot of flows? sure but which isn't? Does micro-payment here is a little to much 'youhaveto'? yep but devs won't feed themselves with praises and it IS free to play if you don't wanna pay - just a lot harder than. But the same is with dificulity system in other games - you can give easy and be king of the world killing everything without scratch or you can give hard or expert and die a lot. If you can't deal with this that in 30 person battle you won't be only one standing 9 out of 10 games than this game is just not for U. On average there is no more than 3 survived from a battle. Will it be always you? almost certainly not. Depending from your role you can be sometimes sure that you wont survive even in 90% of your games. It's WW II tank simulator! you're not happy that some old panzer III is no match for KV? well it's not and it wasn't when real people were driving them but they had to take those kind of battles anyway and die almost certainly. Coz they could buy time for other tanks from their squad to go around KV and destroy it. For example it was main Sherman tank tactics against Tigers -swam him, go around and pound him where he is vulnerable. Easy to say but to do that out of 5 tank sqad at least 2-3 will be destroyed by Tiger for sure. I honestly love this part of WoT - If you're driving light tank and most of others are 2 tier bigger than you have almost no chance to stay alive! but still you can be of valiue to the whole team as a scout. And you will die without even scratching one other oponent? well tough luck. Life is brutal! you have problem with that? try Sims. you have full control over there, and U won't die or lose because you were in a team with more noobs. But for me WoT is a lot more real life simulator than Sims - you will learn here that you are just one small screw that is most of time unimportant but sometimes because it;s lucky, or skilled it can do something big. Expand
  39. Dec 26, 2012
    This is a weird game to play. In the beginning you love it and you want to keep playing to get that next tank. However, the higher you go the more you realize this game makes little sense. I've literally taken the same tank as my friend and we decided to shoot one another square on (in the same location). One deflected and the other destroyed the tank (Note: we targeted same location on each others tank [Hetzer]). Other issues are extremely poor matchmaking. You can't decide which game to join on your own but are forced to play depending on some random computer generated game. One team will have great players with amazing tanks and the other will have horrible tanks with bad players. On average one team with dominate the other. I also find that I was in plenty of battles where I was a teir 4 in a tier 8 battle. I can't understand why I would have been put in those battles. Overall, this game has fun points and I'm sure to keep playing but I think it's very lopsided and isn't far when it comes to tank battles. Expand
  40. Jun 12, 2012
    It's simply unbelievable how much fan this game gives. The strongest things here are 1) gameplay 2) feeling of constant improvement of your garage with every game played 3) very well balanced free/premium gameplay (premium is really VERY nice, but you don't feel weak without it).

For me personally gameplay in WoT can be compared to... Counter-Strike :) At first glance: nothing special.
    But both games have "this thing", which just make "walking and shooting"/"driving and shooting" simply pleasant and fun, and time running waaaay too fast... :D Expand
  41. Jun 11, 2011
    I would consider it an okay game, good graphics, nice maps, and good tanks. The tanks are limited to WWII range or so and it mostly relies on money. If you happen to buy some gold and buy a special tank, you can blow up a newbie (me) with one direct shot near or direct. Not the best game because it relies on money but very fun experience!
  42. Aug 9, 2013
    Decent FTP title with an pretty unique main characters. The game itself somewhat easy to learn hard to master, but some things like random shell hits, auto balancer etc can lead to rage sometimes. Without premium it is almost impossible to drive tier 9-10 tanks, but during battle round premium customer have little advantage over freemium player. Nice game, but it can become pretty boring if played regularly.

Put in 10 just to piss all those western whiners, who think they know something about USSR and Stalin, but in reality majority of them read some pulp fiction history novels and attended history class in school a.k.a. full of propaganda.
  43. May 26, 2011
    I want to say the truth about this game. World of Tanks is awesome game! It has very nice graphics, easy controls a it is very realistic. The best WW2 game I´ve ever played. A big positive is no lags and bugs, developers are really taking care of this game and we can see the result of their work. :-)
    And now the Clan Wars came! Another very good part of the game. I
    can´t write everything here...it is a very long list of all advantages. I just love this game and it´s only one I have installed on my PC. :-) Expand
  44. May 27, 2011
    Excellent game! Perfect for all people, who want to spend their time effectively. Realistic game details in combination with faithful graphics bring real enjoyment. I play this game every day since Beta version and I´m still impressed by all those tanks. And that´s the next thing I like. A lot of tanks to play with and the next are on their way! Often a lot of patches are released and they bring more and more things to the game. Developers and Support team members are very friendly and they always help you, if you need them. One year ago I didn't know any tank of the World War II. Now I know all the tanks! Developers, thank you very much for so perfect game! Expand
  45. Nov 7, 2012
    The biggest moan about this game comes from people, who think they are good because they have nice k/d ratio in Call of Duty or Counter Strike series. Suddenly they met a game which requires some skills, but basically THINKING. And that's the reason why the score is so low for such a superb product. Never before anyone has even tried to approach ww II tanks in such a great, MMO way. The graphics after the 8.0 patch are very decent, and the added physics let's You take advantage of terrain and environment. There are good and worse maps, but I've never seen one criticized by all - there are always at least 50% positive reviews. The modules upgrade system is really expanded and the satisfaction when You kill a Tier 8 tank being a Tier 5 is just an amazing feeling which can be felt only by people who spend some time to learn basics. Matchmaking is really ok - There are battles where You play against weaker, there are battles where You are a victim, but cooperation with other team members let You get through even toughest battles. This is not a surprise that most people playing the game are lemmings and are very passive in what they do (plus there worst part is a dude in $$$ Lowe or T34 who has 300 battles and doesn't even know the map, but he MUST play on high tier because screwing up for his team satsifies him). Still surprisingly, there are people who want to cooperate and sometimes team consisting of three cooperating dudes in platoon and 12 lemmings can do a lot. To sum it up - You won't like this game if You like easy, casual playing, if You like scripts, fireworks and lasers. But if You're searching for a true MMO challenge and won't cry when You get killed - this one is definetly a title for You. Just please. Start from 1st tier. Expand
  46. May 30, 2011
    Poorly balanced, full of bugs, devs dont listen, endless grind, its a free game that ends upp costing alot of you want to get to the end game. Devs should really sort out some of the glaring issues with sight system, ghost shoots etc before they bother implementing more tanks for real money.
  47. Jun 3, 2011
    As a quite big fan of ww2 armor i quite enjoy this game, its one of those pickup and play games, no manuals, no guides that take two weeks just to get ready to click start game.. Quite fun and relaxing but with some very intense momments. Good diversity of vehicles that dont require players to grind for a month just to be able to have fun. All in all i do like this game, quite unique and interesting, 10 from me Expand
  48. Jun 3, 2011
    One of the best games that I played. Fast, dynamic with good graphics and of course this is WWII. Few types of tanks : Heavy , Medium , Light. Tank Destroyers and SPG. All this is what TIGERS :P like the most.
  49. Jun 3, 2011
    I like the idea. Killing other nations' tanks is cool. Good to improve your team-play. I played quite a lot of games with tanks in it, but it really is concentrated on the real wars circumstances.
  50. Jun 3, 2011
    Game has a good balance between realism and arcade, tactics and action. Some tanks are more laid back and easy to ;ay whilst others give you your tactical fill. All the fun of an arcade shooter, and the tactical metagame of a sim without the boring non combat realism. Games only take 10 minutes to play and a massive variety of tanks to choose from, from prewar tin cans up to the massive Maus.
  51. Jun 3, 2011
    Let me say that I have 0 previous experience with online playing. WoW and all else did not appeal to me and I got to this game pretty randomly, thanks to a tank--oriented discussion board - because of tanks and WW2. I was immediately ensnared, trapped and became an addict.
    WoT is fairly new game, with limited content (under development), some maps, and about 100 tanks so far. Many people
    would say "hey, that's not much", but... It is plenty already. You can play legends, as well as little known experimental designs. You can choose from 3 development trees, each with unique tanks, and while in some cases the balance could be better (or adherence to history), overall it is a fast-paced, enjoyable game where the main decisive factor in battle is player skill.
    Since the release, the developers also steadily add (a nd plan to add yet more) vehicles, maps and other features, like recently started Ultimate Conquest clan wars.
    All in all, it is an excellent game that promises to get yet better in the future.
  52. Jun 6, 2011
    This game got me hooked off one of the other large MMO's around (hint: same name as a storm). Please do not be thrown off by the uninspired title, it's an awesome game; think counter strike with tanks. If your the kinda person who enjoys tactics and gameplay over pure graphics then this is for you, if you want developers talking about different gameplay features instead of how they're creating some new 'awesome' engine which boasts 10x better graphics then please try a 'le look' franchise like CoD. This game has a fresh feel about it, a step back from the postmodern, homologous and uninspiring wasteland that the game industry is slowly creeping towards.

In short I love it, and I recon you will to.
  53. Aug 12, 2011
    I hate tank games. I expected this to be some boring FPS/TPS game with completely no dynamics, the tempo of it being slugger-ish and the whole thing to suck ass. But something seemed to make me play it. Beside i knew it was going to suck. But when i actually played it, i looked at the customization menu, which made my scrotum jump away and sit there staring at the screen for 30 minutes of me checking the stuff out. Its quite educational if you think about it. The tank history and information makes the game add up to like a MMO-FPS-TPS-RPG simulator with lots of facts and actual events. The whole game was surprisingly
    awesome! "Confound all this hard work put in to this game, it drives to me insomnia!"

The beta, was one of the best parts which is now unavailable. Now we get to the minuses, like the payment requied to get about 1/10th of all tanks.
    And apparentaly, by the end of the making of the game, there will be over 150+ tanks. Now there is over 60. Wow.
  54. Jun 11, 2011
    This game is highly recommended for those who are looking for an online game, that doesn't require you to spend gazillion hours to start having fun. Those who give low score, have totally different expectations of this game. This is not a tank simulation, so don't expect 100% accuracy. For me the game has the right blend between realism and fun. Some people have commented this game is grindy. Yes, it becomes a grind if you try to get to the heavy tank class as quickly as possible without enjoying the process. Think of this game as counter strike, with some progression elements. The game play is amazing, it's easy to get into, but has a lot of depth. Try reading the tactics, cause i suck so bad when I first played it. Due to the nature of the game, it's so lag tolerance, in fact i can play this game with 300ms ping and still can do well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, DON'T MISS THIS ONE. Expand
  55. Jun 12, 2011
    A very good MMO about tanks. Fun, interesting and doesn't get boring right away ( like most of the f2p MMOs nowadays ). People who take interest in WW2 should really try this game out. I think they wont be disappointed. The only thing that may ruin your game experience here - is a premium account stuff. You know - pay real money to have an advantage.
  56. Aug 5, 2013
    Grindfest of the worse possible kinds 80% of your time in game you just stare at your tink parked somewhere or broken in garge. Its not a bad game but completely lacks fun factor for free accounts because of the stupid grind
  57. Jul 7, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. I started playing about a month ago. My first impression was that the interface etc is almost completely bug free! This shouldn't be noteworthy, but given the state of most new release online multi-player games, the fact that it is bug free is awesome. Starting off in a little, weak, slow tank seemed a bit painful at first, but once you get the hang of it and skill up to higher techs, the game becomes extremely addictive and great fun. It is possible to play without spending a cent of real money, but I found that spending a minimal amount ( Expand
  58. May 10, 2013
    This game is fun at low levels but becomes a terrible grind beyond tier 5.

Also, if you don't buy premium game time or tanks, you will have to spend a lot of time grinding low level tanks to earn credits: the higher level tanks are very expensive to repair and buy ammunition.

I found this game intensely frustrating (it seems designed to frustrate you into spending real money).
  59. Oct 15, 2013
    I had a very mixed feeling when i first touched this game. I was never really into tanks, and i doubted that this game would fit me thematically, but high praise of a friend brought me to give it a try nontheless.

World of Tanks is a third- and first person shooter with tanks. If you have shooter experience already: imagine this game just like any other shooter, with the twist that
    everything is somehow slower (this is an over-simplification, but it gives you a basic idea if you never played this game). This does not make the game boring, it rather makes it highly tactical: positioning, and being at the right spot in the right time wins or looses you your games.

The game features several nations (such as Germany, UDSSR and USA). The game devs are actively adding more nations, and add new tanks to existing nations. You do not have to decide for a nation, and can have tanks of all nations if you want to. Most nations feature a wide array of vehicles, most of them are pretty distinctive from each other.

You start out with tier 1 vehicles. By playing the game, each vehicle individually gathers experience, which you can use to improve your vehicle through researching better guns and other upgrades. Once you unlocked specific upgrades and gathered enough experience, you can unlock tanks of the next tier. The starting vehicles feel very similar to each other, but as early as you reach Tier 2 (which is a matter of 1-2 hours of even less) you can already feel huge differences between the individual vehicles. The highest tier is 10, and takes lots of time to get to.

The game features 5 tank "classes".
    -Self Propelled Guns (Artillery, their task is to bombard key enemy vehicles)
    -Light Tanks (their task is to reveal enemies and hunt for Self Propelled Guns)
    -Medium Tanks (varying tasks, good allrounders)
    -Heavey Tanks (heavily armoured, heavily armed vehicle with very low maneuverability)
    -Tank Destroyers (destroying priority targets with their ability to pierce through thick armor)

Each tank has Crew members. These crew members gather experience in battle, which increases their performance. Once their performance reaches a peak, they can start to learn additional skills or perks, such as faster repair of damaged tank modules, increased camouflage, or better tank maneuverability.

The matchmaking is very balanced overall. Vehicles that feature roughly the same tier are put together in a match, and all classes are distributed among both teems in an equally balanced fashion. Some games can be frustrating if you happen to be the tank with the lowest tier in the match, but as often you can be top of the tier. Overall, the matchmaking is good and fun most of the time.

World of Tanks is free to play. By playing normal games, you earn "Credits". These Credits are used to buy new tanks or tank upgrades that have been researched. It is also used to repair damaged tanks, refill ammunition, and to buy certain "Modules" that allow you to further customize your tanks (such as camouflage-nets to hide more easily, or tank gun rammers that decrease your reload time). You can invest real money in order to purchase "Gold". Gold unlocks premium memberships (these increase your income and experience), certain Premium Tanks (which are not stronger than other tanks, but have the advantage to earn more credits) and garage slots for more tanks. Everything else can also be bought with Credits.

Even though this should result in a low buying-pressure, the opposit thing is the case. The more you play, the higher the buying pressure becomes. Unlocking more tank slots is essential if you want some variety in your played tanks. On higher tiers (tier 7 and up), the repair cost get horrendous, and it becomes really hard to earn credits without Premium Membership or Premium Tanks, while the prices of the tanks get higher and higher. This gets frustrating after some time. The prices for Premium Memberships, however, are fair and not over-the-top. Even Premium-Tanks with a high price-tag pay out due to their vast credit-earning ability.

Here have some more Pros and Cons to playing World of Tanks.

+ Controls in this game are good and responsive, providing a satisfying skill-to-power ratio
    + Huge variety of distinctive tanks
    + Varying events on a regular base (at least once a week) keep the daily playing experience fresh
    + Games last only 3-15 minutes
    + Certain "Missions" are available at all time which are completed during normal gameplay, feels very rewarding

- Buying Pressure ruins fun after some time
    - Some tanks are balanced in a very disappointing way (way too strong way too weak)
    - Playing with more than 2 other friends at a time gets complicated due to restrictions, except you play with 15 people (one team's size), then it is easy again.
    - Graphics are a little outdated.

I recommend giving this game a shot. It is pretty fun, and it takes quite a while before the buying-pressure in this otherwise free-to-play-game kicks in.
  60. Aug 19, 2011
    Theres seriously nothing like World of Tanks. It starts out slow, and starts to chime in about after an hour or two of gameplay. Overall, it's a very remarkable game. You start out with no cash, and no real tutorial and a bunch of simple controls, nothing complicated or special. The tank controls itself are nice, it remains smooth and customizable through the 'upgrade' system-- there are a bunch of combinations too for several gameplay styles or preferences. Balance wise, the game tends to be too rewarding to people who buy 'gold'. Everything from slightly better tanks, more powerful ammo and the ability to host a platoon (group/party) with more than one friend (Yeah.. seriously) costs gold. However, the in-game cash system is exceptionally fair, the amount of cash you can obtain per game tends to be a lot, there are also very helpful 'power ups' that are near priceless when in combat, these do not cost gold, but are very expensive. The game itself is very, very team dependent, 90% of games I've played I either hear people whining or not developing any form of strategy, it's very quiet and tends to be awkward. Overall, I would give it a try it's free, theres nothing to lose. If you love strategy games or just want to try something new try out World Of Tanks. Expand
  61. Aug 2, 2011
    Well, I have been reading the (above) reviews and have to admit that it is impressive how many below 3s and above 7s you find. I always think that everyone is entitled of their opinion, which I totally respect even if I disagree. To my humble opinion, the game rates low by hard core WWII fans or MMO gamers. I read above that it takes 3 months to get a tier 8 tank... Well, I play for 5 months now and only been to tier 6. I guess I am a casual gamer myself... However, I LOVED the game. I stick to the tanks I like and I am not obsessed by reaching Tier 10 anytime soon. I simply do not care. I love each and every tank I own, even created a "bond" with the crew (as you can transfer them from one tank to another)! I lose some battles, win some others, get destroyed and destroy others. I strongly believe that there is a huge research project behind its development and every single detail is thought of. Ok, you might have some balancing issues but what can you do? Enjoy the time you spend playing people! I have spent some money and I think it totally worth it... Don't get me started with all the AAA titles that I have purchased and spent 0 time with them... To my point of view, get a Tier 2 tank (it's free) stick with that alone, find your preferred tank type (Light, Medium, Heavy, Tank Destroyer or SPG) and follow each one's path slowly enjoying all the way. After all it is the journey that matters and not the destination ;-) Expand
  62. Aug 7, 2011
    first of all: this review is about the version 0.6.5 and below, so there might and will be some changes that could very well influence the rating of the game
    in this version you can choose tanks from 3 nations (USA, USSR and Germany), in 5 different categories:
    light tanks - fast and agile, but weak tanks with the purpose of scouting enemy tanks
    medium tanks - the heavier version of the
    light tank. less maneuverable but better armored and armed
    heavy tanks - mobile bunkers that are designed to crush and destroy
    tankdestroyers - usually without a turret but with thick frontal armour and huge guns. equivalent to sniper class
    SPG - "mobile" artillerie. less more than a huge gun mounted on tracks

each class has their own playstyle with their own advantages and disadvantages, leaving enough space for tacticians to make up some nice strategies
    the tanks are also divided into 10 different levels (called tier) in order to balance the game.
    sadly the balance system doesn't work too good, sometimes pitting m4 shermans against king tigers, or putting too many artilleries in the game, in which cases the match always end up in a campfest.
    the mentioned "popping up tanks" in the game can be fixed by lowering the graphic settings
    from tier 4 on, it also takes a lot of time to further advance in the tech-tree, so it's legitimate to call this game a "grinder", but if you enjoy roleplaying games, that's nothing new to you and won't stop you from having fun with this game.
    additionally you can upgrade your account to a premium account (which obviously costs money) in order to level 50% faster
    the micro-investment system is actually quite good.
    with gold you can buy:
    premium tanks (which aren't better than their free counterparts, but they're awarded with more credits and smaller repair-bills)
    premium ammunition (which are better than the "free" ammo)
    premium consumables (i.e. a big repairkit repairs all damaged modules, whil a small repairkit can only repair one)
    credits (1 gold = 400 credits)

about the tanks themself:
    all tanks are modeled realistically after their historic originals or blueprints but with some changes in order to balance the game
    for example the tiger I is a bit slower and has a weaker armour and unlike some of the real counterparts, all tanks have a radio (the early soviet tanks didn't carry radios for example)
    sometimes the developers decisions towards these changes are questionable, but generally acceptable
    the tanks also feature special hitzones, where hits from enemy fire can be devastating. i.e. hitting the viewport of the driver doesn't only cause damage, but can also kill the driver, and hitting the front of the tank is less likely to penetrate the armour than the weaker rear or flanks
    it's also possible to destroy certain modules such as the radio, the ammorack, the engine or even the gun, which will cause penalties to the tanks performance (a destroyed engine or tracks will cause immovability of the tank, until the damage is fixed)

it's sad that there are only a few maps playable and the only game-mode is "capture the base", but there are more modes planned for the future and with each major patch, the selection of maps increases

it's certainly not a perfect game, but it's fun and easy to play
    I'd recommend it especially for tank- and tech-fans that are resistant against frustration caused by grinding
  63. Aug 8, 2011
    Game is very fun in low-tier battles, but as you progress it becomes more and more static and boring. You are not allowed to make any mistakes, almost every attempt to play a hero and roll into action on full speed will be severely punished. Combat model isn't any good either, it's relies strongly on the RNG (for example, the penetration capacity of AP shells can vary from 170 to 280 mm of armor, so one shot can penetrate a very armored AFV and another will bounce from some mid-tier AFV).
    You can actually have fun in this game, but i wouldn't recommend go further than 3-4 levels.
  64. Sep 11, 2011
    WoT is not perfect but then what game is? With over 20 years experience playing video games this for me, has to be one of the most addictive games of all time. It has a simple formula that works. The game does have it's problems but they are not game breakers as other suggest. I started playing WoT during the Closed Beta and have over 7500 battles under my belt in total. For those that are finding it a constant struggle and frustration to play I will say this, this is not a FPS like COD4 or the likes but, a game that needs the use of good tactics and team work. You can't just go around running and gunning. You really need to think about how you engage the enemy and to use the equipment that you have to it's advantages whilst minimising it's disadvantages.

The game is free to play and use micro-transactions that is in no way a "pay to win" model.

Buy in game content only enhances your experience.

A person who spends money on the game has no advantage over somebody who plays for free on the battlefield. Both can kill each other just as easily.

So if you like tanks and blowing stuff up look no further than WoT.
  65. Jul 15, 2012
    Game is basically designed to frustrate you into spending money. Full of stupid mechanics (yes, I know how they work and why are they like that. 55% win rate with 1300~ rating out of 2000 games) like spotting that makes very little sense or massively overpowering artillery that basically decides every high-tier game with ability to one-shot a tank into uselessness by killing off 2-4 crew members and knocking down 1-3 modules per shot. Sure, you can take maybe 3-5 of the shots, but even one near miss drops your combat effectiveness by over 50% easily. Everything is priced very high and if you want to spend real life money you won't get much bang for your buck. Single tank costs 30-40 euros. Imagine, a single tank in a game with hundreds of them. See Tribes Ascend for F2P done correctly. Expand
  66. Sep 14, 2011
    This game is funny in the start, but after some battles you face the truth. Very unbalanced battles try to force you to buy a premium account or spend some RL money in them. Dont waste your time in this thing.
  67. Dec 12, 2013
    The game continues going from strength to strength, as the constant updates and patches continually adjust the game for the most part pretty well balanced, bar a few examples.

The whinging about WoT being Pay2Win is utter rubbish. The only things not available are Premium tanks which for the most part are worse than the normal ones, or a Premium account which just ups your XP and
    credit earning rate. Along with the new mission system gaining extra credits is fairly easy.

The game rewards skillful play, and rewards you using your tanks strengths and guarding it's weaknesses. It can take a while to learn but it can make very rewarding gameplay.
  68. Oct 1, 2011
    Judging this game as a free game is wrong, the basic concept of the game is that you grind your way to the highest tier of each type of tank to help your clan fight for provinces in their tournaments. The only way to get there is by spending money on a premium account since basicly grinding your way to the max tier without it would just take way to long. Now since we know then that this is not a free game lets review it accordingly. Gameplay : The gameplay isnt bad, its unique in the current genre with a little bit of a mmo features. However after you spend some time playing the game and grinding your way to the max tier and learning the game you can get very bored of it. To give you a small idea of how boring it might be, to get from the tier 7 to tier 8 artillery which is the highest tier artillery. You will around 330.000 experience, this is not counting the huge amount of experience points you need to get the upgrades on your tier 7. These would take around 150.000. Now since you probably get around 800-1000 experience points on average with a premium account you can then see why its considered a boring grind. The developer. The developer of this game is wargaming , a russian company which is noticed by the unbalanced russian tanks in the game. The developers in this game are basicly one of the worst you can come across, they are clearly nationalist russians which is shown by how they bend historic facts in their events they host. This alone makes me want to give them a 1 for this review, simply claiming that Stalin liberated eastern europe is just unforgiveable. Overall : The game can be fun if you dont play it to much as in 1 time a week, do this and the game can be something to kill time with. However since the game unbalancing is caused by biased developers towards russian armor the game can not become a serious online game. So if you are looking for a serious game you want to play at a high level, go look somewhere else. If you want a game you can download for free and have a few minutes of fun then go ahead and download, just make sure you dont get draged into buying premium accounts and tanks. The score im giving is a 1 as i said basicly out of protest towards the developers. Expand
  69. Sep 19, 2012
    This is the game that I have chosen to play 90% of opportunities since July 2011, totaling nearly 5,000 battles. I have reached Tier 10 in the German tank tree (E-100, E-50M and JagdPanzer E-100), 7 in the French tree, 8 in the Russian tree and 6 in the American tree. My latest high-tier tank, the E-50M is AMAZING. I have done so well and have dealt so much damage in it. Maybe it's a little too powerful, but if you don't like that, GET ONE YOURSELF! :D Almost all of the time I've played this, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. There is definitely a huge split between good days and bad days, as I've been lucky lately, having done about 25 battles in the last week in which I dealt over 4,000 damage and capturing part of the enemy base, but sometimes, the game just gets really tough on you, matching you with some "not-so-good" players and/or against a team full of Unicums (not unicorns, but top players). However, if you manage to make it through these battles, winning, there is a great feeling of triumph. It's a very high-quality strategy tank shooter that receives updates every 1-2 months - and the updates are always exciting. I have enjoyed this game so much that I have 5 Tier 8 premium tanks (well worth it for me; I love them), which are in NO WAY overpowered compared to the rest of the tier. They each have advantages over standard tanks, like higher shell penetration or armour, but they also come with disadvantages, such as a comparatively long reload time, slow top speed or long aiming time. A couple of months ago, Wargaming.net released the new Tier 10 Tank Destroyers and Medium Tanks, and at first, after playing on the test server, I was worried that they would make the game unplayable at high tiers, but my worries were for naught, as on the proper server, you won't get matched in battles with 26 tier 10s and 4 Tier 8 SPGs. Recently, I've been getting a lot of Top Gun achievements and Ace Tanker Mastery Badges, which is very pleasing when it happens, and this just makes the game more fun to play the longer you go on. Probably one of the most exciting moments in the game is when the last enemy tank, of your tier or higher, is dying quickly and it seems like there is no way you'll be able to get to them, but then their armour starts bouncing shots and extending their life. You finally come around to the last corner, blocked by some friendly tanks, irritating you that your team won't let you get the shot, then all of a sudden, everyone moves out of the way, allowing you an easy shot, which you take, getting the last kill. Aaaahhhh... how exciting. :)
    10/10. This is a fantastic online strategy game with a huge range of vehicles and maps.
  70. Oct 16, 2011
    The lack of diversity in multiplayer gaming modes makes the game more boring the longer you play. As tanks get heavier and heaver the fun is mostly removed from the game. Tanks seem unbalanced based on damage and reload for the same tiers. Once new game modes are added the game will likely be more enjoyable.
  71. Feb 10, 2012
    One thing you may have noticed is how I tend to ignore MMO's; they just don't appeal to me for some reason. "World of Tanks" sounds like another isometric 'RTS' game where the outcome of battles is resolved by showing you a bunch of numbers and classes without anything else. WoT however is a very finely crafted MMO with plenty of variety to keep you engaged. Graphics and sound are excellent for a free game and the battlefields are interesting without being too campy. However, balancing can be a real issue: with some occasions where your new vehicle is significantly weaker or slower than your previous one with one meager benefits. Premium tanks are also a bit unbalanced, as is the whole gold system. Nitpicking isn't helpful however, and I'm going to finish by saying that if you're into tanks or strategy, WoT is definately worth a look despite its inevitable balancing issues. 77%. Expand
  72. Apr 26, 2014
    I have played a number of online shooters and this is the most frustrating one of all and not a game that I will persist with any longer, despite the promise. I have tried to make this game work for over a year and 7000 matches, with a reasonable 52.2% win rate and WN7 and WN8 ratings of 'good' and tanks at all tiers and classes demonstrating that I can play this game with some competence (you will see the need to make this claim below, this being a game where stats seem to matter a lot, sadly). There are times when this game is amazing, but they are overshadowed by the frustration of this game. The game is seriously flawed in a number of ways, making it difficult to consistently enjoy this, most enjoyment deriving from taking advantage of other's mistakes and most defeats being a result of skill/own mistakes plus game mechanics, chance and the complex nature of the game leading to an element of ineptitude from many players. The game relies on significant teamwork but the game mechanics and in particular the lack of any reasonable tutorial severely limit team-work. The deliberate element of chance built into the game ref damage per shot, penetration etc and the complicated nature of differing hit zones further frustrate. Add to this the fact that despite claims to the contrary, the ability to pay for better penetrating shells, permanent camo, equipment that assists accuracy/reload etc means there is an element of play to win. Add to all of this a quite nasty community in-game and on the forums, assisted by an amusingly elitist group of modders creating XVM, WN and the like that show all of your stats in-game, leading to less able players being insulted or told that they have lost the game for the team before it starts and you have something not worth playing. The tank genre needs someone else to come along and top this, learning from what went right and the many things that are wrong. Expand
  73. Oct 15, 2013
    A great MMO-styled game. I'm not going to say much except that it is a great game since all of the reviews here seem to be extremely critical for no reason other than the fact that they have no idea how to play the game. It would seem that most of the negative reviews here have two causes:

1. Reviewer is absoloutely brain dead and can't play well in any way whatsoever

2. Supposed
    glorification of Stalin

It would seem that the majority of the negative reviews here are about the glorification of Stalin. Are you serious? At least the mindless negative reviews for Company of Heroes 2 were somehow justifiable, but giving the game a 0/10 because a few employees supposedly decided to "glorify Stalin", something that I haven't even heard of them doing? None of you should even have the right to give the game a score.

Now I'll take the time to evaluate some of the critiques of the game that I have read thus far.

First of all, I haven't spent a single cent on this game. Yet, I always consistently do well in every match and I have above average statistics. My WoT account name is ChakLong on the Asia server in case you were wondering. You say the game is pay to win? You are wrong. Stop making excuses simply because you are not good at the game. I've played all the way up to Tier 7, and soon Tier 8 without buying gold or premium, and I never will. Why would you spend money for things that are free and easily attainable (unless you are simply a horrid player)?

There are many, many strategies out there on how to play the game and do well without being "forced" to buy gold. Yes, stock tanks don't do well. They are stock tanks. Were you expecting something different? Play well and you'll be fully upgraded in only a few rounds. Save up on your free experience when you are "forced" to grind instead of wasting it on unlocking tanks, and you'll easily get the stock tank to have top modules. What, your tank gets destroyed because you are driving around in the open like an idiot and not angling your armour or side-scraping, and your stock gun can't do anything against an enemy heavy that that is angled? If you learned to pick your targets and shoot weak spots, maybe you wouldn't be complaining.

Unbalanced tanks? There are only good tanks that you have no idea how to use. Apparently British heavy tanks aren't very good according to low-level players. But they are the only tanks I drive, and my stats beg to differ. Every tank has its merits, just because you don't know how to use a tank doesn't mean that it is underpowered. What, you are facing tanks that are of a higher tier, and you are oh so helpless? Just because you lack any knowledge of game mechanics or even common sense and are unable to use your brain does not mean the game itself is bad.

Now I will also address a completely ridiculous criticism: that it takes actual time and effort to unlock higher tier tanks. Should you just start World of Warcraft with the best gear and stats? Should you start Battlefield 3 with all guns, tools, and perks unlocked?

The simple fact is that higher tier tanks do not give you an advantage. They are simply new ways to play the game. A effortless way to differentiate an idiot or an ignorant player from someone with at least a small trace of intelligence is that an idiot would play the game just to unlock higher tier tanks because they are supposed to give you an edge in battle. It would appear you have no knowledge of how matchmaking works in this game. Additionally, if you play just to get higher tier tanks, you are completely missing the point of the game. You cannot complain about the game supposedly being a grindfest when you are playing the game with the purpose of grinding. Don't be hypocritical.

Frame rate and connection issues? Just because you are using a computer from 1990 and a dial-up connection doesn't mean the game isn't good.

I can't be bothered to continue to point out the ridiculous and overly-critical reviews on Metacritic for this game, and I also don't have the liberty to continue on due to the word limit for reviews. Once again, mindless mob-mentality destroys the credibility of "democratic" voting systems. "OMG some dudes glorified Stalin! THIS GAME R SUXORS! PAY2WIN OMG I CAN'T PLAY THIS GAME FOR BALLS SO IT IS BAD! OMG I'M BEING FORCED TO PAY TO PLAY!".

Now you might ask, why 9/10? Simply because it is not a revolutionary game that completely blew my mind. Full score reviews are given out so carelessly these days that, combined with the senseless mob reviews mentioned above, makes community scores from review sites such as Metacritic absolutely worthless. This is a great game, but not a perfect game, or one that amazed me so much to the point that it changed my life.

And remember, just because you can't play a game well because you are used to running around like an idiot in Call of Duty, doesn't make a game bad. It just means you are an idiot.
  74. Nov 5, 2012
    I give this title a base score of 5 points simply for being original. Now the graphics are very well done. The audio is fantastic. The ballistics are very nice. The controls are very responsive. The maps are a great deal of fun. And lastly, you can do just fine in this game and never spend any real money. It isn't pay to win. There is some grinding to rank up to new tiers but isn't that what we do when we play anyway? Overall I give the game a 9 because there is still room for improvement. Great fun. Expand
  75. Nov 23, 2011
    I've been playing this for almost a year now, since Open Beta and have about 7000 battles in total. The current version is 0.67. I'm an absolute nut for WW2 armor, and I naturally liked the concept of WW2 armor FPS. The game is fun to play at first, and you can really pass time on the battlefields. But after a while I find that it has a couple of flaws. It lacks depth because in every battle, you get a random team. So sometimes you get a good team, and at other times complete noobs - and that really affects the outcome of your battle. There's no character or team development at all. You can't practice your tactics or improve your team, because your team mates keep changing. I find that battle after battle, it just becomes meaningless fragging. Although the game is free to play, but there are many disadvantages. Such as once you get to the higher tiers, you can't really play without a premium account. The number of battles it takes to reach tier 8 SPG, or tier 8 tanks is just ridiculous unless you have premium account. Plus, without premium account, you'd go bankrupt when playing tier 8, 9, 10 tanks because they are designed to earn you very little credits and cost expensive repairs, so that you have no choice but to use premium tanks that make a lot of credits to make up for the losses. While I don't mind that its a paid game, but just be aware that nothing is for free. The match maker also does a bad job. Sometimes you get 5 high tier arties on each team, and they are put into a pointless map for arties (Ensk). Other times you get 5 T59s stacked on one team, and you already know who has the advantage for that battle. Of course sometimes it does a decent job too. The plus side is, nicely rendered and realistic tanks/graphics. Nice battle mechanics, good strategy mix such as tank destroyer, scout, medium tank tactics, etc which are all different. Each one requires different tactics to play. I'd give this a 5 because there are good and also bad. Expand
  76. Dec 14, 2012
    This is a long review, but I've played the game for so long and I'm honest enough about the entire thing to give a useful opinion without being a fanboy or bashing the game completely, so please keep this in mind as you read.

This game is a very mixed bag. First off, the core gameplay can be entertaining if you're willing to learn how it works and operate within those boundaries.
    There's a lot of satisfaction to gain from this, which is why as a person who detests this game, I actually do still play it. The game is all about grinding. Tier 1-3 goes fast, 3-4 is a little longer, 4-5 is very long, then after that it doesn't seem to be long before tier 6, and then 7, but 8, 9 and 10 are very long grinds. I've played since June 2011 basically EVERY day and I have two tier 10 tanks unlocked, a couple of tier 9 tanks, half a dozen tier 8's, many tier 7's. So you can see it takes a long time to get tanks. I play to get one win a day in each tank I care about, never grinding because that's too tedious and it takes me this kind of time.

The game heavily rewards money spending via premium tanks that are poorly balanced and with premium shells (Though these can now be bought with in-game currency - which has caused some chaos and imbalance). The premium tanks are frequently overpowered when introduced, causing much anger among players who face them - which of course means lots of players run out and buy these tanks. They're not cheap either. The game's in-game currency is gold, you can buy 1250 gold for about $8. Most of the tier 7-8 premium tanks which are the most powerful and fun to use are about 8000-12000 gold which comes out to about $35-50. That's $35-50 for ONE tank. The next step, Wargaming nerfs the tank so the normal playerbase stops complaining, but then they buff it again and it goes on and on. All these tanks do is return more in-game credits than a normal tiered equivalent. Lots of normal tanks are poorly balanced so the problem becomes that to get a fun to use tank you may have to go through a few badly balanced and unfun tanks. Despite these tanks being unbalanced negatively, players who complain in the forums trying to get these tanks improved are ridiculed and told they're just bad at the game. Wargaming NEVER listens to player feedback, as the game is most popular in Russia and that is truly the only playerbase they care about. The Russian developers ignore American feedback, they just allow us to pretend we matter to silence us - this may sound conspiracy theorist but it really is true in this game.

The community is also one of the worst I've ever seen. Players are very bad at the game even at higher tiers, and they just keep playing which ruins the fun for a normal/good player. Battles are 15 players vs 15 players and the matchmaker is notoriously bad. Using an external mod which shows player's skill ratings and win rates during a match, I've observed the game frequently stacks one team full of very good players and the other team is full of bad players. This game is NOTORIOUS for losing streaks, worse than any game I've ever seen. You can be good (which not to brag, I am pretty good at the game) and still be shafted by bad matchmaking, poor player skills, and random number generation - which is how the game determines damage, penetration, and basically everything.

Wargaming is also probably one of the worst game companies I've had the displeasure to play a game from. They give their moderators free realm to basically do whatever they want, and their "appeals" section if you get chat banned in the game is basically for show - they never repeal bans, no matter what. This game is so terrible about censorship, that despite allowing you to disable a profanity filter I personally have been banned for calling somone a noob before. Yes, they're THAT kind of moderators. If you insult the developers, other players, in ANY fashion even calling them stupid or dumb you'll get banned for a few days. They also frequently tell people to stop spamming or stop using caps when no one is doing either action. Wargaming is a very shallow company concerned only with squeezing profit out of the game while doing as little as possible to improve long standing issues. Users make great suggestions, and they're never listened to. The also ignore all test server player feedback, they just use hard stats like win rates, average damage and other things that do not reveal the full picture to determine what's balanced and what's not.

The game can be fun when everything is alright, but too many times the game is just awful. Many maps are bad, many tanks are bad, and the community is awful, the developer/staff is terrible. There's a fun game buried underneath this mess, but it's not worth your time to find it if you ask me - I've played over 2k hours, I'd know...
  77. Dec 22, 2011
    This game is really geat addiction to my and all my freinds. Game is really interesting and fast. There is no several months of one story/battle, but only fast 15 minutes battles that give you more or less silver nad XP witch give you ability to progress to better tanks. I play this for 9 months and there is time when I am bored with game but because clan wars and team mates I come back every time :-)
    Only bad thing in game is overprised gold witch give you better progress in game.
  78. Dec 29, 2012
    Fun free to play casual game if you want to blast tanks away in 15 vs 15 battles, but like its upsides it has its downsides, such as tedious grinding past tier 6 without a premium account, unbalanced premium paid tanks, a mixed game community where you got decent folks and complete assclowns and a downright TERRIBLE forum community. I would equate the moderators on the forum to Soviet style authorities back in the USSR days, giving infractions for minor things.

If you liked WW2 and the armored warfare or just want to blow **** up, give it a try but avoid the forums at all cost. They are a nightmare!
  79. Feb 26, 2012
    Its hard to rate this game. For a casual player it is good. Action packed. For mmo veterans, it can be a massive timesink and an exercise in frustration. The endgame is split between high tier random battles and Clan Wars. The random battles at high tiers is very flawed, but the clan wars system is fun and challenging. Very hardcore.
  80. Mar 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amended review ~ Where to start with this one... I still play occasionally I have 15k+ games played, and a guild that can rub shoulders with the big boys but doesn't more often than not. Basics ~ 15 on 15 pvp matches Everyone plays a tank,spg,td or scout. Matches are near instant you click your tank ready you usually pay in 1 minute. Constant gratification It's kinda has a weird shaped enjoyment curve .. it's starts out great and then you start to get abused at tier 5-6. If you slog past this to tier 9/10 for simple love of the game and the genre you will continue to play. If not you will find better things to do with your time. It's a Russian game, which has it's pluses and minuses. Their original intent was to make WoW and they ended up with WoT. No clue how. So the bad first #1 The match maker is purposely trying to defeat you, you can change your fate through skill, teamwork and intuition, improvisation. But you will find that no one will win more than 60-65% of their matches because the match maker doesn't consider accurately the ability of various tanks, skill of the players (in and out of 3 man cell groups called platoons). And at this point with what over 100 tanks to choose from the problem is exacerbated and un-fixable, without a completely different game play design . #2 Micro-transactions ~ There isn't a less trustworthy way to to employ micro-transactions than selling power but that's EXACTLY what they do. They sell everything, it's like they read a game developers paper on what to do and what not to do and did everything anyways just because. Well a lot of games sell power, every pvp game does it, but none in the universe charge you as much as WoT will. You pay for tanks that grind experience faster, you pay to transfer experience from 1 tank to the other, you pay for bullets that will penetrate better and are more accurate, you pay to boost your tanks crew experience, you pay to paint your tank ~ everything in game has a very real dollar cost. There are a lot of givens and you don't have to pay a cent many do this ~ but you will never compete or progress at a reasonable rate unless you do. Those issues are bad enough to never ever return to a game. They are classic what not to do when making your video game mistakes of severe magnitude. #3 browser game that takes more time than a full time job, and just as involved in planning. Want and 8 hours a day job, manage a team in WoT and try to keep property. If you don't show up EVERY night of the week including holidays, and play as hard as you would and at any real life sports you'll get booted off the game map or never even make it on. That's minimum 15 players with reserves. But~ WoT is also relatable, when you play your tanks for the first time you really feel like your in a real tank. No game has delivered this ever, and for the market to completely overlook this until a Russian developer finally made a decent tank game is a shameful proof of what inbred circle proof marketing benefits the world. WoT has actually strategy, bouncing around like bugs bunny in other pvp games doesn't exist here. You THINK where you need to go you coordinate and you move tactically. Actual strategy, actual. Do you understand how completely foreign this is to video games these days that spoon feed everything to you? WoT is realistic, and you are constantly gratified. No waiting an hour for a group or even 10 minutes, jump in and play until it hurts. WoT gives you real choice, you get to decide what you want to play and how. Hundreds of tanks, hundreds of guns. Finally ~ I give WoT a 5, the gameplay is well above a 9 probably a 9.5 but the match maker and miserable micro transanction system ruin what could have been a benchmark industry changing game. Expand
  81. Feb 6, 2012
    Pay 2 win is very present in this game. Directly present with premium ammo and premium consumables. I don't encourage in any game, that if you pay more you have advantage over others. Indirectly present with free xp, credits, premium account and premium tanks which if you never buy them this game is a pain to play. It seems even with clan wars they created a system to gain money, because the clans that own a lot of lands doesn't need to invest money and the (new) clans that doesn't have lands must invest a lot to be equally equipped so it becomes a fair game. You can feel the makers of this game are greedy. The game is not to great, matchmaking is unbalanced and the game is very random with:
    Artillery, penetrations, aim from long range, the skill/tactics of your team sometimes you know you lose the game if you see lemming groups (this game is very team dependant), which map you get, engine fire, ammorack explosions... etc. These are all a gamble boxes.
  82. Dec 29, 2012
    The negative scores are just because the persons didn't understand the game.. The matchmaking is fair and it's not pay2win. Sometimes it's frustrating (if you don't understand the game and aren't willed to learn) but the game keeps your win rate about 48% (2% draws, 50% loses) if you are an average player. No one with over 1000 battles has a win rate under 42%.
    The tanks are balanced too.
    There matchmaking only puts tanks in a game if there is just 2 levels difference and a tank 2 levels lower than the other can damage it if you know where to aim.. The premium tanks which you can buy for real money aren't overpowered. They are as well as the other tanks on their level. You can buy premium ammo for ingame credits or real money. Premium players only earn more experience/credits so they aren't better than other players, they just reach the next tank/gun/tracks/... faster.
    The game is not about getting a level 10 tank (last level). The game is about having fun on your level. And sometimes it's more funny to play a level 2 tank than a level 10.
  83. Mar 7, 2012
    Good idea, terrible implementation. Let's wait till some team that has brains implement it.

The idea of an easy to use, first person shooter with a wast online audience is immensely appealing. Just this particular case sucks. First of all the game producer does not put enough money into server capacity. When you just drive around you've got decent 30-50ms ping but in the heat of the
    battle when you need your game to be responsive above all you start getting network lags and the pings becomes 100-300ms. That means 3-10 frames per second. Just imagine playing a first person shooter with a slow motion camera. Expand
  84. Mar 7, 2012
    The game is very engaging for the first 2-3 hours but then turns into grindfest. Each new tank you get comes in a "stock" configuration and needs upgrading. "Stock" means cannon fodder even for a lower level tanks. Stocks are slow, have inferior guns and very limited visibility. And you need hundreds of games to research your stock tank into "top" so beware of topping up your game account with real money. Expand
  85. Mar 7, 2012
    The game simply does not provide positive emotions. Once you pass the initial excitement and start developing your tanks you find out that unless you've been playing the game for the last couple of years you gonna be a cannon fodder on the battle map. To avoid it you'd need to put in A LOT of money (say a hundred bucks per month) and A LOT of time (say 4-5 months of everyday play) to become a decent team member. But the game needs cannon fodder so they keep flocking in :) Expand
  86. Mar 22, 2012
    World of tanks is quite nice game for casual gaming. It's free and one will get his portion of fun. Dark side of the game is when you get to grind something. Higher tiers are (intentionaly) basically unplayable on their own without either premium account or having other tanks to support expenses. I would for sure recommend giving this game a try.
  87. Feb 12, 2013
    So many reviewers complain about the fact that this game (like most games these days) uses "experience" to "unlock" equipment not to get an advantage over other players, but become even. True: You have to spend much more time IF you are not willing to spend real money on "Premium Tanks" and you have to play harder more carefully without "Premium Ammo", as you cannot penetrate an enemy with each not so well aimed shot. But it is exactly the same with Battlefield 3, where you can lay AT mines right from the start, but a "more experienced" player with more unlocks on a tank can just see them highlighted like Christmas tree with no skill at all, making AT mines redundant (but no one complains about that, right?). This game has an awesome game mechanic and decent controls, allowing you to play it like a true arcade game, while ballistics and vehicle behavior work like a true simulator. The only point really to hate about this game is the "Tier System", unlocking bigger tanks with more hit points and guns, able to deal more damage (so the balance remains WITHIN a Tier). The matchmaking, placing you above or below other players, kills that balance BAD! Nevertheless you can be a useful addition to any group, if it is scouting, flanking, drawing attention to you, etc. I'd like to see some more effort in team play development or more specialized scenarios, as random battles become very boring. PLUS better friend integration. What's the point of a filled friend list, if you can only join a battle with on friend (or two, if you have a Premium Account)? Expand
  88. May 26, 2012
    The game is fun and good. It's one of the best example of good F2P. I played it over 2 years now, and only spent like 5$ just for new slots, because i wanted to buy even more tanks). Without premium you progress faster then in ,for example, Tribes: Ascend and you'll only lack credits if you play bad/ only have top vehicles (They are not profitable even with premium acc so there would be wide range of tanks playing). Gold(paid_ shells are only used in Clan Wars, Some people just don't get that if they are not top, they should fight low tier tanks, but i think it's CoD illness that makes them think that if they are on a light tank(that used mainly as scout and point targets for arty, because it's really fast and can avoid shells) they need to somehow fight with the top tanks. Expand
  89. Apr 9, 2012
    Not a pure FPS, but combined with strategy.The game is free to play, and spending money doesnt make you better than a free player, just ur progression is fast.
    The only advantage cash gives you against free palyers is "Gold ammo", but almost never used in random battles where u use to play, but clan battles where the reward is gold is where this kind of ammo takes use.

You have classes as
    many FPS and making your role properly is mandatory for a succesful win.
    In this game doesnt win the one with better ping, the one who shoots first or the one who knows the map.
    You need to know the strengths/weaknesses of your tank and focus in your targets wisely.If you are a big tank with a BIG gun, you must focus in big tanks, medium flankers and heavy defenders.
    If you are a weak(but fast) tanks, you must report enemy tanks location to bigger gun mates for sucess.
    Also you must know where to aim and the consecuences, here's where a huge part of the strategy takes part.Should I detrack a tank? direct damage? destroy its cannon?

Overall a good game.

The only true con i see is the matchmaking system.Playing vs +/- x lvls tanks sometimes makes you have no chance against the enemy or 1shot all the entire enemy army.
  90. Apr 15, 2012
    I have been playing since open beta and agree with many of the other low reviews. This game while being genuinly free to play hence i awarded 1 point :) Is quite simply not fun, after playing the same gamemode on simular maps for over 1,000 times this game tires. The ideas as said in other reviews are awesome however just dont translate into a fun game, my main problem is the system for upgrading the tank and the teiring, with for example a Ferdinand, one of the best tank destroyers of world war 2 you come up against tanks from the 1950s and many prototypes and as the starting gun on this tank means u cannot kill tanks ur level it becomes tedious and frustrating, only after about 100 battles can you unlock the best gun and it becomes playable, this is very simular with other tanks also. Matchmaking is also a contrivertial issue as the battles are oftern heavily biased to one team. My second biggest fault after enjoyment is the lack of community, I myself am in a clan and have played clanwars however the developers of the game make little attempt to communicate with players other than tedious events, on the forums the "community team" only post to remove explicit content which I think says alot about their approach to the games community. I much prefer Blizzards approach of atleast getting involved in conversations which helpes players feel more part of the game. There are many ways to make this game great however in my opinion it is likly to be another of those games which could have been awesome which is however destined to be a flop, its lack of penetration itno the European market says its all. Another word of warning is to ignore most of the critic reviews as many are simply fantasy and quite irritating. Sorry if this has dissapointed you, just trying to stop people wasting as much time as I have :) Thanks for reading Expand
  91. Dec 4, 2012
    This game is free but the way they have designed it pretty much forces you to spend lots of money to advance at all in the game. You will end up in tons of very unfair matches forcing you to have to spend real money to convert experience just to advance to the next tank. But you can always just not spend money and play a terrible tank that has a gun that won't even damage other tanks, Which is required to make a reasonable amount of experience. Avoid this game at all cost. Its just a scam. Expand
  92. Aug 16, 2013
    For a start, lets say that i played about 4000 battles, 3 months and last one was on premium. (10 eur for month). In a last couple of years i never experienced game that offers you so much frustration and anger and gives nothing in return.

Gameplay Mechanics You have one option only Random matches. 15 on 15 players, capture the flag or kill all enemy tanks. By killing or damaging
    tanks you get experience and credits. By winning match, you have bonuses on those assets. By paying premium you get those bonuses plus additional 50% more.
    With experience you can unlock new tanks or additional parts on existing tanks tracks, engine, turret, barrel etc..
    With credits you can buy unlocked parts and you can also buy new tanks, ammo, cover the repairs, buy modules like camo net, vents, binoculars, crew training etc..
    There are 10 tiers (levels) available, each one with stronger tanks than previous one. By playing matches and collecting experience you grind your way for unlocking new tanks and parts all to the final 10 level. Its very simple. In theory it should be fun. But it isn't.

Grind I have read most of comments here and i have to agree that after 4-5 tier all the fun is gone. Grind becomes abnormally long, your tanks move with 20 km/h, possessing calibres that cant damage anything and you will spend 100+ games of terrible grind fiesta just to unlock new tracks so you can grind more 100+ games for new engine, then turret, then barrel, then radio. etc..... After that you need additional 1000+ games for unlocking new tank, then again tracks, engine, turret, radio... All Stock tanks are horrible and without agonizing grind you will die in first 30 seconds, ending with 100 exp....

F2P Even if you like grind part, after tier 6, you have to pay for it. In that moment F2P falls apart and you will start noticing that something is heavily wrong with this game. As i said, after each battle you gain certain amount of credits and experience and with credits you have to pay for repairs and ammo or you cant drive that tank any more. Bad news is that tanks above level 6 don't earn much credits so they cant cover their own expenses. You have to pay for premium and gain that additional 50% of credits. I did even this, thinking that this maybe cause for lack of fun that i encountered after tier 4.

Historical part As huge WW2 armour fan i thought that they will at least cover basics. Level of disappointment in Historical view added just another level of hate and frustration from my perspective. Developer is Belarusian. All Russian tanks are op to the level that is laughable. German tanks are crap. Tiger is terrible tank with paper armour. Panther is one of the worst medium tanks in the game. 88 mm calibre is like a needle in this game. These are the facts. Russian bias is more than present and with recent Stalin add-on its more than obvious that this game spreads propaganda like plague.

Matchmaking I could easily forget about everything above Painful grind, F2P (10 Euro pre month for premium) and deformed Russian History if they didn't implemented this agonizing MM. That's something that you have to experience. People that played this game at least level 7-8 will know what im taking about. Whatever tank you are using, you are at the bottom of your team in 90% of games. If that's not enough, MM will throw you in matches with +4 tier tanks. So, if you are playing with tier 4 or 5 tank, MM will put you into tier 8-9 games. For those that didn't play this abomination, playing with Tiger or Panther you will face tanks from post war period 1950-1960. Its same as playing counter-strike limited to knife only.

I wont even write about bugs, Wargaming policies, obsolete graphics, broken beta engine etc... cause a lot of people here covered that part in details. I posted my reasons to quit this game after 3 months and 4000 battles. I found out that there is no reason to pay Arrogant Russian developer for broken game that can provide me only frustration and Stalin propaganda. Having fun in one out of 50 matches is just not enough.

Avoid this game.
  93. Apr 15, 2013
    Im giving this game a zero because it simply, pay to win, and the game is setup to basically make free to play insanely frustrating and pointless, you are literally cannon fodder for wallet warriors. I know they are a business but this is an extremely greedy money mongering business that has corrupt practices, meaning I wouldnt support it based on that alone. I wont go into speculative reasons of their wrong behavior such as, premium shells rolling higher, matchmaking being rigged, or releasing overpowered pay to win content (then nerfing it when they release new pay to win content, aka planned obsolescence), or anything else which cant be verified but is widely thought as true, I will simply state the facts which are more than enough to show you this game is not worth your time or money.

Let me give a quick summary so everyone can read this. This game is about giving people who pay money an ego boost and good time, thinking they are good. If you read the forums its painfully obvious the hordes of pay to win wallet warriors deny its pay to win when it clearly is. Its like if everyone was saying the earth is flat, its just not true, sorry. So these people who pay to win think they are good at games. All MMOs are for low skill players for the most part, thats how they make their money, but this is doubly worse because its pay to win with an illusion of fairness. Its a slow paced game with basic strategic elements so old people with real jobs (or idiots with credit cards) can pay WoT a bunch of money to make them feel like they are any good at games, but they are not. Thats why random battle doesn't have any ELO or else the pay to win wallet warriors egos would stop getting fed and they wouldnt pay to win anymore, but with this grand illusion the suckers pay in to the system to continue to feel they have any skill in a game at all. I mean $50 for a TANK in a GAME... its just shameless greed. This company makes double digit millions of profit per month on this trash.

Pay to win. There is direct pay to win, one quote of the devs goes "you should pay us money if you want to be the best", quite literally too. No that is not how competitive gameplay and clan wars works, whoever is the best skilled should win, and the best and pro scene should be getting paid for creating idols that make people want to play the game and spend money, oh but wait the game is pay to win so it could never be taken seriously. You dont HAVE to use the best items but regardless it creates an unfair playing field where money gives advantages even if both players are maxed out and equally skilled, this is NOT acceptable. Anyone who cares about competitive or fair play will automatically hate this game. Also the russian tanks are OP by the russian dev, great job.

The grind to even getting to that unfair pay to win playing field is so unfair. Basically you start with a stock tank that is absolutely horrible and cant beat anyone, and you run in and die until you get it fitted out completely, but guess what, you still lose to people who have better tanks through the unfair matchmaking where you face opponents you cannot damage. Their is an illusion of weakspots and theoretically you "could" kill those tanks, but statisically, even if you are skilled and they are not, it is extremely unlikely and they would have to be afk in order for you to kill them. But how can you target a weakspot if your aiming reticule is as big as the tank itself when you are trying to hit something the size of a dinner plate. Its like carnival games that are rigged with a bunch of flashing lights so if you pay them more money you will win eventually. Its kind of like arcade games back in the day, except at least those were fun.
    And pay to win wallet warriors will have 100% crews which have bonus skills while you have nothing and every stat you have is worse because of your crew skills.
    And you have to pay for repairs and ammo, so your xp and silver you get is reduced by a much larger percent than a premium player so you basically have to grind 5x more even though they only get 50% more experience, because that 50% more xp+silver is pure profit, that they got more kills in because they had better tanks with full 100% crews, upgraded camo, the best gear for the tank, and expensive equipment you wont be able to afford for a long time. And they can essentially buy their experience and move it to another tank, so they never have to drive stock since xp is locked per tank unless you guessed it, you pay to win it to another tank
    Again, the games random battle is not skill based matchmaking, its there so pay to win wallet warriors can kill you, you are cannon fodder, you are basically a bot with the added benefit of wallet warriors egos being satisfied.
  94. May 17, 2012
    Slow paced, unskilled, and worst of all just plain boring game play. The balance and matchmaking in the game is way off as well. The entire game has a decent core concept but they need to go back to the drawing board. They need to make the game feel more like a game and less of a driving in a parking lot simulation. The also need to find some way to encourage more team work and tank slection stratagy rather than putting everyone in a generic mold team. Expand
  95. Jun 22, 2013
    The worst thing about this game this is how it is made. Graphics "Say hello to the mid-2000th," a terrible sound, outdated special effects and other characteristics of non-professional developers. As far as I know, they're from Belarus, and it explains everything. Over the past three years, it does not develop except the introduction of new tanks, which there is already a lot. The idea of the game is good, and if she was in good hands, it would be a masterpiece. And yet it is better to play something else. Expand
  96. Sep 19, 2012
    The game walks a fine line between historical accuracy and balanced gameplay, and does so successfully for the most part. A Tiger tank -- while one of the most lethal on the battlefield in WW2 -- is 'only' a tier 7, and based on game design is primarily a sniper tank for example. Having played over 3000 matches, I can say that every tank in the game has strengths and weaknesses. Most complaints of tanks being overpowered or underpowered are based on an unwillingness to learn different styles of play, where you need to take advantage of the tank's strengths and offset their weaknesses. Are you a brawler? Sniper? Intended to scout? Fast speed for flanking actions? Heavily sloped armor so you're intended to play mostly hull down?

I've spent about $80 on the game having played almost an entire year. I purchased one 'gold' tank, where the gold tanks' main advantage is the ability to generate credit income faster than other tanks. Real $ tanks are almost exclusively inferior to experience point equivalent tiers, whcih is the primary reason why this game is not 'pay to win'. The gold tanks facilitate easier experience point and credit grinds... but offer no advantages on the battlefield. Its a brilliant design, and works well.

My experience indicates the most fun tiers to play are between tiers 5 and 8. Tiers 9 and 10 have exceedingly expensive repair bills (unless you're running as a premium account) and typically are very conservative matches due to the severity of artillery. Lower tier matches tend to be very zerg-like and usually your teammates are still learning the game. Great game, very well balanced -- a 'thinking man's FPS.
  97. Jun 25, 2012
    This game is quite nice game,even tho it seems easy its not really noob friendly ,especially after tier 7.. so most of people who wrote bad reviews are probably people who played total time of 7ish hours and made a judgement over game that require hours and hours and hoooours of practise
  98. Jul 9, 2012
    Just plain brilliant!
    It's fun, realistic and easy on matchmaking.
    Good community and I have loads of fun playing it.
    Now with the new update there are more maps and gameplay stuff to play. And for a free game they sure update it a lot making it never boring.

1. Dec 18, 2012
    Bucketloads of depth and surprisingly simple to jump into. It's free, too! [Jan 2013, p.84]
  2. Dec 12, 2012
    World of Tanks is the ultimate tank battle game, and with a price tag of 0 whatever your currency is - there really isn't anything major to complain about.
  3. Apr 10, 2012
    It combines aspects of great RPG games and first person shooters, wraps them into a package that will appeal to the historian, and tosses in a dash of addiction to combine into one great final product.