X: Beyond the Frontier PC

• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Jan 26, 2000
7.3

1. Apr 26, 2013
    This game, no....this entire series is a complete pile of badly programmed rubbish. I have had more trouble with what's been deemed a audio/video "codec" issue. Seriously? With all four of the titles I've installed? You would think that Egosoft (wow, not a humble bone is this crowd huh?) would have released a "patch" like every other reputable game manufacturer would have done to fix thisThis game, no....this entire series is a complete pile of badly programmed rubbish. I have had more trouble with what's been deemed a audio/video "codec" issue. Seriously? With all four of the titles I've installed? You would think that Egosoft (wow, not a humble bone is this crowd huh?) would have released a "patch" like every other reputable game manufacturer would have done to fix this issue. However this task of spending more time trying to fix a "scratchy-assed" noise through your speakers, then actually playing the game is left up to us consumers. I'll just chalk this X-turd-box series up to a loss. I personally couldn't "rate" this crap any lower than I did, so I would highly advise steering clear of this, and any other EGOSOFT software in the future. Expand

1. With a very large galaxy populated by unique aliens, an interesting non-linear storyline, lots of great visuals, and interesting gizmos to upgrade your ship with, X during the first few sessions can be a joy to play. Poor design choices, and repetitive actions, keeps X from being as memorable and fun as Elite was.
  2. A game that is jack of all trades, but master of none. It's fun to play at first, but tends to get fairly tedious when you realise it's rather limited - when you realise you can't change your ship, actually take on any missions, or do anything of any real interest.
    An admirable game that manages to do quite a lot with very little. Even so, it's doubtful that anyone besides those of you who are addicted (like me) to the trade simulator are going to find this title real competition for the big name space combat games that are already on the shelf.