Ys: The Oath in Felghana PC

8.0

1. Apr 10, 2014
    An amazing game that has some core issues that prevent it from realizing its full potential:

1. The levelup system is a waste of time. When played on the default difficulty (which is what I encourage, otherwise the game is so easy its boring or so difficult it's unrewarding), you gain XP from monsters until you're on par with their level, at which point killing them becomes completely pointless. This means that you have to grind each zone just to make your character be able to survive that stage, because of this I feel pacing would've been better if you could just play from start to finish with *no* leveling system because in its current state, it does nothing but pad out game length.

2. The backtracking is annoying. I enjoy the Metroid aspect when it's done well, but in this case, most of the things you backtrack for aren't even optional unlockables for boosts, they're story-related items that you need to find in order to progress. It just feels like another way to pad game length, by making you redo areas you've already seen in order to get to the next one.

3. Bosses battles are really well designed, but insanely punishing. Whether this is an issue or not is really up to taste. You don't get to use any recovery items, when you're on-par with the level of the boss (which is only whatever's possible on the default difficulty, since "grinding" only gets you to "par"), it only takes a few hits to die. Some boss fights can go on for upwards of 5 minutes, even if you know what you're doing, and if you get hit a few times, you die, and have to start the fight from the beginning. Some of the fights are really interesting from start-to-finish, others start repeating mechanics really quickly, which makes them get boring very fast, as they become battles of tedious endurance as opposed to interesting battles.

4. There's almost too much dialogue in a game that seems to be focused on being an ARPG, and really, I didn't find myself liking any of the characters.

However, the soundtrack is absolutely stellar, is is most of the stage design. It's really just some of the old-school mechanics being too old-school for their own good, but considering this is a remake of a game that came out in the 80s (Ys 3 - 1989), that kind of explains itself, and as far as remakes go, this is one of the best that's ever been done (not as good as Resident Evil 1 on the Gamecube, however) - it took the game from 2D to pseudo-3D with much better boss encounters and stage design.

It still plays like an old PC game though, and I wouldn't recommend checking this out unless you have the time on your hands to dig through some RPG history. If nothing else, you should check out the soundtrack. This has some of the best tracks you'll find in any RPG.
  2. Aug 30, 2012
    Before playing this game, ask yourself: Am I the type of person who feels a sense of satisfaction for finally beating a platform-esque jumping puzzle after the 11th try? If your answer is yes, and the gameplay video looked cool, you will most likely like this game. As I am NOT one of those people, and being forced to repeat tediousBefore playing this game, ask yourself: Am I the type of person who feels a sense of satisfaction for finally beating a platform-esque jumping puzzle after the 11th try? If your answer is yes, and the gameplay video looked cool, you will most likely like this game. As I am NOT one of those people, and being forced to repeat tedious jump-and-make-sure-your-shadow-lines-up-with-the-tiny-spot-of-floor-beneath-you puzzles fills me with controller-twisting rage, this game is absolutely infuriating. I did have a lot of fun with the combat (which is very fast-paced and fluid), and I enjoyed the background music a lot, but unfortunately the ice cave level pissed me off, and the castle level where 95% of the floor breaks away and dumps you 2 floors down was where I dropped my controller, proclaimed "I'm #$%^ing done," and immediately clicked on "delete local content." Video games are an inherent waste of time (be honest), and while some can really draw you in with their story like a good book does, this one does not. It is a rather mindless hack-and-slash, and growling at my computer in frustration is worse than pointless. I have tons of more important things to do, as well as better video games to play. Expand
  3. Aug 23, 2014
    This is basically like the first Ys game but with improved graphics engine and animations. They also added an actual combat system with moves and such. The core of the game is the same and unchanged. You run from one dungeon to next kill the bosses and end game. Same inventory, same equip system and now you can even upgrade your equipment. Nothing really noteworthy about it.
  4. Dec 29, 2015
    Action style "JRPG" with very linear gameplay. There's actually minimum RPG elements so this game should be probably categorized as action platformer. There's also a lot of grinding if you are not playing on easiest difficulty level so the game can quickly get repetitive, since there's minimum game-changing elements to keep you in as you progress. Graphics is quite nice (in 3D) with lot ofAction style "JRPG" with very linear gameplay. There's actually minimum RPG elements so this game should be probably categorized as action platformer. There's also a lot of grinding if you are not playing on easiest difficulty level so the game can quickly get repetitive, since there's minimum game-changing elements to keep you in as you progress. Graphics is quite nice (in 3D) with lot of details (especially in the town). Camera position is fixed, but I didn't have any problem with it. Expand

1. PC Gamer UK
    May 11, 2012
    On its own merits, it's an okay hack-and-slash but one that feels as old as it is - and nothing special when there's the likes of Recettear and Fortune Summoners offering other flavours of action-JRPG in more interesting ways. [June 2012, p.100]
  2. CD-Action
    May 10, 2012
    It's been a while since I played such a challenging game – combat is fast, rewarding and so difficult that you're gonna grind your teeth to the point of breaking your fillings. The game's cruelty is constant and goes off the charts during boss fights. [June 2012, p.70]
  3. Apr 24, 2012
    Ys: The Oath in Felghana is a game that derives from the old fashion days of action RPGs.