• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Mar 25, 2003
7.3

1. Aug 14, 2014
    Released in 2002 by Capcom, Auto Modelista is Capcom's much hyped and flopped racing game. The game received a fair bit of hype because Capcom said was going to the first great online racing game on the PS2. Sadly it wasn't to be, but is it any good.

Graphics wise this game is solid. This is a racing game that still looks good today. Everything in this game has this really nice cell
    shaded comic book look to it. The cars also look pretty damn cool in the game with tons of different kinds of cars from Ford Camero to Dodge Vipers. This with the great sense of speed and excellent menus helps this game last the test of time.

Sound wise it's also pretty decent. There a decent selection of music, but nothing too spectacular. Aside from that the game is just in general very respectable audio wise.

The game play is mediocre at best. I'll be honest with you I'm not the biggest fan of simulation games like Gran Turismo, but at least in those games, I don't spin out every 30 seconds in a race. This is probably the biggest problem I have with the game. The controls are so touchy that it's hard enough to keep the car going straight as is, but it get's even harder making turns. I personally will never figure out how to get a good grip of the controls. If you can do a complete race without spinning out every 30 seconds, great for you, I'm an idiot. Probably the best things I will say that it has all the standard modes, it has early use of online play for the PS2 and some cool ways to customize your car. The problem is at the end of the day if the game doesn't play well, it all doesn't matter.
    Overall Auto Modelista is an absolute disappointment. There are some cool ideas and it's pretty cheap, it's just there are so many better racing at the time alone that you shouldn't bother.

1. The original "Ridge Racer" on PSOne had better control than Auto Modellista. The biggest problem with the game is the utter lack of traction that these cars have. [June 2003, p.28]
  2. Sure, it's got the gorgeous looks of a supermodel, and enough cool effects to keep your eyes entertained for hours. But underneath all that makeup is a deep, less-realistic simulation racer that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat.
  3. AM could've been the next great PS2 racer, if only Capcom had hired a mechanic who specialized in handling. [June 2003, p.131]