• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: May 28, 2003
7.3

1. BillK.
    Jun 2, 2003
    First the bad...same problems as most chess video games I've played: view isn't perfect, with the prettier boards its hard to differentiate the pieces (i.e. a pawn from a bishop)...there's no zoom in/out or "fly-by" feature, although you can rotate the board. Having said that, Chessmaster DOES offer an INFINITE amount of opponent options, online capability, a great Chess First the bad...same problems as most chess video games I've played: view isn't perfect, with the prettier boards its hard to differentiate the pieces (i.e. a pawn from a bishop)...there's no zoom in/out or "fly-by" feature, although you can rotate the board. Having said that, Chessmaster DOES offer an INFINITE amount of opponent options, online capability, a great Chess School mode (that ranges from newbie to deeply advanced strategy training), and a cool Medieval Battle mode. Chessmaster would've been a must-buy at $50, so you can't go wrong for the release price of $20. Expand
  2. HardcoreGamer
    Jun 24, 2003
    Obviously it's not action packed, but for the right type of person (someone interested in chess), this game is perfect.
  3. JeffMcCoy
    Jun 6, 2003
    Chessmaster is by far the greastest chess franchise on the face of the earth. With that said, this game continues the great franchise with varied opponents, chess tutorials, tournements out the wazoo, and online play (read unlimited replay value). The camera an be a bit wierd (NO ZOOM?!!!) But that is my only complaint. For only $20 you can't go wrong with this title.
  4. Keith1F.
    Jun 8, 2003
    Amazing game.
  5. JabareeB.
    Jan 29, 2004
    This is an excellent tutorial for chess players. It contains so much information that it will take years to learn all the techniques available.
  6. SlaidgeA.
    Apr 26, 2005
    Speaking as a tournament player - I expected to breeze through this game ... not only was I surprised by the challenge - but the overall worth of the game to an actual player was compelling. I personally love this game, so the 9 of 10 is my rating.
  7. JamesA.
    Apr 26, 2005
    Only problem - no zoom ... The A.I is near impossible to defeat ... I mean you have to be a very skilled (Tournament or advanced Club) player in order to defeat any of the players ranked over 2500 ... very challenging - A tactician's dream.
  8. NateC.
    Jun 13, 2003
    Great game for any level of chess player.

1. A full-featured chess game... But it's flawed in a lot of little ways, and these little flaws add up. [July 2003, p.93]
  2. Even given the varied gameplay in the single-player component, Chessmaster's online support is perhaps its most appealing feature, at least in theory.
    Anyone with even a slight interest in chess owes it to themselves to check out Chessmaster. There really is no better teacher, mentor, or opponent (that's not a human, of course) out there.