• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Oct 22, 2002
6.6

1. DH
    May 8, 2008
    One of the worst games ever made. I appreciate the fact that they stuck to the original action-packed side scrolling genre, but none of the core values of Contra are here. You start with 3 weapons, and only have those 3 weapons throughout the entire game. There are no overhead powerups to shoot down, which was something a gamer could look forward to in the originals. There are three One of the worst games ever made. I appreciate the fact that they stuck to the original action-packed side scrolling genre, but none of the core values of Contra are here. You start with 3 weapons, and only have those 3 weapons throughout the entire game. There are no overhead powerups to shoot down, which was something a gamer could look forward to in the originals. There are three different difficulty levels, and the only thing they change are the number of continues you start with. There is no platforming except for maybe 5% of each level when you battle the "halfway" boss. All in all, this game in an utter disappointment compared to it's predecessors. This game makes me pity the Konami corporation. Expand
  2. TarikT.
    Nov 10, 2002
    Games need change, this is what Contra Shattered Soldier is missing.
  3. JimmyP.
    Jan 6, 2003
    What a waste of money! This game sucks. This game is more frustrating than fun. What was Konami thinking?
  4. PeterD.
    Nov 1, 2002
    Maybe Im so angry because I had I expectations for this game, but I was truly disapointed with everything about it. They took the original and upgraded nothing or at least what they did upgrade made it worse.The game should never sell for 50 dollars but Konami knows it will because of the name they slapped on it. Save 40 dollars and buy the original for 10. YOU WILL HAVE MORE FUN THAN Maybe Im so angry because I had I expectations for this game, but I was truly disapointed with everything about it. They took the original and upgraded nothing or at least what they did upgrade made it worse.The game should never sell for 50 dollars but Konami knows it will because of the name they slapped on it. Save 40 dollars and buy the original for 10. YOU WILL HAVE MORE FUN THAN THIS DISAPPOINTING GARBAGE!!!! Expand
  5. J.Palm
    Nov 9, 2002
    This game has to be the worst game in history. So, instead of buying this game buy a super Nintendo an get the original or buy GTA:Vice City. (I would pick vice out of both of them though.)
  6. JasonP.
    Dec 28, 2002
    Very Tough, but it was much like the origonal, well the one on SNES not really like the one on NES. in any case it was ok, I was going to get Vice city... my friend talked me into getting this. *wishes he trusted his instincts instead* -.-
  7. ImranK.
    Dec 24, 2002
    I rate this a one just because I was a huge fan of the Contra series. The graphics stay true to the original but this game is so tough it is like eating a bowl full of leather with gravel as granola. No save progress feature and two player is just as hard. What a let down!!!

1. While Contra: Shattered Soldier is a short game, fans of the original will eat it up. It’s also a game for anyone looking for a challenge.
  2. Adding lots of enemies and huge bosses only makes the game more frustrating. Expect veins to pop out of your cranium, and a few broken controllers. Although I did have a tough time getting through the missions, I did have fun.
    Make no mistake, you will die like a fly playing this game, very early and very often. But the pattern design is good enough that skill and perceptive analysis offers the possibility of mastery for dedicated players.