Dark Cloud 2 PlayStation 2

9.1

1. Jun 15, 2016
    There are few experiences in my life that have left such a deep and permanent mark as when I first started playing Dark Cloud 2 all those years ago. To this day, the story, the characters, and specially the music still bring tears to my eyes every time I think back to the hundreds of hours I spent in the world of Monica and Maximilian. The game holds up incredibly well and is a true PS2There are few experiences in my life that have left such a deep and permanent mark as when I first started playing Dark Cloud 2 all those years ago. To this day, the story, the characters, and specially the music still bring tears to my eyes every time I think back to the hundreds of hours I spent in the world of Monica and Maximilian. The game holds up incredibly well and is a true PS2 classic, a must-have for any collector worth it's salt and easily my number 1 pick for the best game of it's generation. Expand
  2. May 5, 2016
    There's nothing I hate more when people always tell me that the greatest JRPGs are one of those overrated franchises (I won't say which ones) when in fact they've never really played a lost gem like this before. When it comes down to the amount of things you can do in this game, the only word to describe it is, "endless".

It's played in real-time combat, much like hack and slash, where

It's played in real-time combat, much like hack and slash, where you can battle yourself through randomly generated dungeons and proceed to the next floors. Whenever you defeat enemies you will earn ABS (absorption points), which enables you to level up your weapons instead of your characters.

You also have a city-building aspect to the game, where you will be able to rebuild towns in order to restore the past to its former glory by meeting certain requirement goals for each objective.

I would say that I have spent over 100+ hours into this game and I'm still playing it to this day.

If there are any games you want to play in the JRPG genre you should definitely play this game, it has one of the best, if not the best, replay value in any games that I have ever played. So if you haven't played this game already, please do, and please tell Level-5 to make a sequel to it.
  3. Jan 20, 2016
    One of the deepest and most rewarding RPGs I've ever played.

One of the deepest and most rewarding RPGs I've ever played.

Everything in this game lines up to make for a wonderful experience. The music, graphics and gameplay all come together in a complete package that takes Dark Cloud 2 to new heights unseen by most games that came out during the PS2 era. (Which is saying something due to it's legendary game lineup.) This is definitely a must play and well worth owning for anyone who has a PS2 and even a passing interest in RPG games.
  4. Jun 21, 2015
    Charming story, great characters and vibrant cities and locations !! Everything is so colorful and full of life. The weapons building system is fun and diversified, and it can make you really over-powered if you grind it out.

It does tend to be a little repetitive, but nothing like the first installment.
  5. Sep 12, 2014
    I love this game :D It´s so beautiful. The Cel-shading, the Battlesystem, the Feeling and last but not least the awesome Soundtrack made it to the best game ever made.
  6. Apr 17, 2014
    My real score back then would be a 8-9/10, but looking back I realized how utterly nostalgic I was for this game. It is as if there was endless content from building, dungeon crawling, golf, fishing, contests, customization, medals and more. The game is the most perfect RPG on the ps2 for me. The graphics were gorgeous and it had a great soundtrack that, in itself, sounds nostalgic. AfterMy real score back then would be a 8-9/10, but looking back I realized how utterly nostalgic I was for this game. It is as if there was endless content from building, dungeon crawling, golf, fishing, contests, customization, medals and more. The game is the most perfect RPG on the ps2 for me. The graphics were gorgeous and it had a great soundtrack that, in itself, sounds nostalgic. After downloading the ISO, I was able to finally finish the game that I was so determined to finish before my console broke before the very last boss in zelmite mines. Expand
  7. Mar 26, 2014
    I love cel-shaded Level 5 RPG games. When I play one it feels like every day is my birthday. They're like Skittles candy. This game is a birthday cake, an infinite supply of salty tears to oceans everywhere in the universe. You better believe extraterrestrials are playing this, for they made this game.
  8. Sep 11, 2013
    An almost flawless game. Graphic are gorgeous, story is engaging and deep, main characters are well developed and very likable. Gameplay is rich and varied.

The pacing can get a little slow at some points and the levels suffer from similar repetitiveness that the first game had. But, while these flaws are noticable they are also easily overlooked as there is enough variety in the level designs and side activities to keep you distracted.

Overall:
    Dark Cloud 2 (or Dark Chronicle) is perhaps one of my favorite PS2 games. It has everything I want in a game, if not more. For me this is a classic that I can replay over and over and every moment is a joy.
  9. Mar 6, 2013
    Dark Cloud 2 has an amazing world you can lose your self in and there's just so much to do you'll never get board.
    the RPG mechanics are a little shallow and the UI is a little tricky to navigate near end game when you have hundreds of items, other than that i love this game
  10. Nov 20, 2012
    The only drawback to this game is the voice acting, but that isn't too important. Everything else about the game is unique and refreshing and enjoyable.
  11. Jun 30, 2012
    Dark Chronicle is an RPG adventure in its own class. The surroundings are great, both the music and the visuals. They managed to create a varied, interesting and immersive world on the PS2 hardware with something that can almost be considered revolutionary graphics back in 02. The way game just grabs hold of you and keeps you playing is great.

This game joined by other great PS2

This game joined by other great PS2 adventures makes the PS2 my favorite home console to this date.
  12. Nov 20, 2010
    The joy of adventure, inventing, and saving the world are every kid's dream, by playing Dark Cloud 2, it felt as if those dreams came true for me. I love Dark Cloud 2's storyline and originality, not to mention the believable graphics and extras, no other game contains such a broad scope of things to do. Many games either focus on the battles or focus on the skill. Dark Cloud 2 containsThe joy of adventure, inventing, and saving the world are every kid's dream, by playing Dark Cloud 2, it felt as if those dreams came true for me. I love Dark Cloud 2's storyline and originality, not to mention the believable graphics and extras, no other game contains such a broad scope of things to do. Many games either focus on the battles or focus on the skill. Dark Cloud 2 contains a mixture of battles and skills and somehow it intertwines everything to the main plot of the story in a very easy to understand way. I was very sad when the game ended but was overjoyed to see that there was a "epilogue" chapter for Dark Cloud 1 fans =P I'm worried about Dark Cloud 3 though, it may not be able to pass up its predescessor since Dark Cloud 2 is just so good, especially after this long way all of us have become way too anxious. Nevertheless, this game is for anyone who loves adventure and the feel of actually being in the story! Expand
  13. DillonDabunny
    Aug 23, 2009
    Dark could 2 though its known as Dark Chronicles over here in Europe.

I see some people havent rated this game well at all, maybe they didnt complete it. I cant tell you what my score would of been an hour in, or maybe five ours in. But I probably put over 50 hours in to this game, and hands down its the best RPG I have ever played. Dont get me wrong FFVII -FFXII are incredible games,
    Dark could 2 though its known as Dark Chronicles over here in Europe.

Dont get me wrong FFVII -FFXII are incredible games, breath of fire, fallout, Dragon Quest,... persona.. all these games are so amazing. but DC2 touched me in the same was that Ico did. and for that reason alone a perfect score is the least I can give it.
    There may of been faults with the fighting system when I first played it, but after the story grabs you ...but then after youre sucked in nothing else matters. story, gameplay, playability, graphics.. all there.
    Read the reviews from the industry they dont lie, this really is one hell of a game.

I just hope DC3 lives up to expectation.
  14. NightraiderofDeath
    Sep 16, 2006
    This has got to be one of the best RPGs on the PS2. However, like all RPGs, it gets very repetitive with its dungeons and monster battles. The first time you go through a dungeon it's plenty of fun, but 10? 20? I got tired of it eventually. Luckily, the rest of the games features help distract from this one downside.
  15. DanielV.
    Aug 12, 2006
    I think this game was pretty darn good. It had amazing visuals, the charcters you meet were all very intersting, and the invention system in the game was really fun to play with. it could be kinda repetitive at points, but you can easily forgive it for the rich story offered. so yea pick it up and enjoy.
  16. LeeM.
    Mar 30, 2006
    Anyone who doesnt like this game has either 1.Not even played it 2.Played it for like 2 minutes 3.Not even tried to like it and outlined all its bad points. Yes i am talking about you mr Anonymus first reviewer! This game is beautiful. I liked the opening credits so much I got the theme on MP3. The story really kept me going. Yeah I know it can be repetitive, but not too often, and the Anyone who doesnt like this game has either 1.Not even played it 2.Played it for like 2 minutes 3.Not even tried to like it and outlined all its bad points. Yes i am talking about you mr Anonymus first reviewer! This game is beautiful. I liked the opening credits so much I got the theme on MP3. The story really kept me going. Yeah I know it can be repetitive, but not too often, and the story makes you want to defeat those dungeons. You could even do a dungeon once in a while, and wander off-theres often something else to do. This is the best RPG on the PS2. Without a doubt. Now to go and listen to "Time is Changing" again. Expand
  17. LoganD.
    Apr 29, 2005
    This game is so fun on so many levels, it has strategy, roleplaying, adventure, puzzle, as well as quests.
  18. AveryA.
    Jan 31, 2005
    This game is the best THE FREAKIN BEST, ffx sucks compared to this game it badly sucks and i love ffx just not compred to this game.
  19. BriS.
    Jan 12, 2005
    It's fun still have not beat it but i got it 05 so it is a graet game along with disgaea hour of darkness.
  20. KillerToastGuyChris
    Nov 29, 2003
    Dark Cloud 2 by far the best game ever, i thought the first one was killer, but this one is 10 times better, what more could you ask for?
  21. B.J.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Holy Crap.. need i say more...
  22. ShawnG.
    Oct 13, 2003
    I really like this game: 1 because its hard to do certian stuff 2 The graphics rock 3 during movies i dont have to read what they are saying.
  23. MicahC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    MAN! How hard does this game wanna be?! If u like Frekin' dungeons where u die every frekin' 5 minutes, get this frustrating game. So to sum up, I liked it, it was just real hard.
  24. DannyR.
    Sep 29, 2003
    This game is incredible!!!Best game of the century!!! The only problem is that after you beat the whole game, you wont be able to go to the future anymore. But overall this game is magnificant.
  25. JormaO.
    Sep 16, 2003
    A Brilliant game!
  26. ChrisM.
    Aug 6, 2003
    Davie Crew [--o--o--]
  27. RyanD.
    Aug 5, 2003
    This game is the best I've ever played I played dark cloud 1 but it didn't stand a chance against the storyline, graphics, extras, features and gameplay of dark cloud 2 keep it up level 5.
  28. Darkcloud2.5
    Aug 3, 2003
    This game is an altogether awsome game. It has action, custumization, and a bunch of possible weapons and construction options.
  29. Greenishio
    Jul 21, 2003
    It's a great game.
  30. EricM.
    Jul 13, 2003
    I give this game a 10, I think it rivals the Final Fantasy games, and that Square could learn a thing or two from Level 5. Now... if the creativity of Dark Cloud Saga could unite with the very being that is Final Fantasy... well, I'll leave that to your minds.

#7 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#4 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. Game Informer
    The complete package for RPG enthusiasts. The exhilarating heights of the story are equaled by great gameplay depth. [Mar 2003, p.80]
  2. Edge Magazine
    When the game eventually gets going, it's almost as much fun as it's predecessor. It's just that it takes several hours to kick off. Dark Cloud 2 still has merit, but it's simply not as enjoyable as the first game. [May 2003, p.95]
  3. A bitch of a game to review. But for the same reasons it's a joy of a game to play. There's just so much to it. It's a town-builder, a compelling dungeon-crawler, a fishing game, a golf game and, in short, a great RPG.