Dark Cloud PlayStation 2

8.1

1. May 4, 2017
    Although the georama feature is incredibly fun and interesting, the vast majority of the game is dull-as-dishwater dungeon-crawling. The worst part, possibly, is the weapon degradation system. They are not the first nor the last game that utilizies this feature, however, it is so extreme in this game that you will frequently break two or three weapons within the space of ONE dungeon (whichAlthough the georama feature is incredibly fun and interesting, the vast majority of the game is dull-as-dishwater dungeon-crawling. The worst part, possibly, is the weapon degradation system. They are not the first nor the last game that utilizies this feature, however, it is so extreme in this game that you will frequently break two or three weapons within the space of ONE dungeon (which take about ~6-10 minutes each). It becomes incredibly frustrating. If you're looking for the best 'menu simulator', this is for you. Otherwise save your bucks for basically any other RPG. Expand
  2. Mar 29, 2017
    A good game that was over hyped upon release. There was not many games like it at the time and it made it some what unique. Well worth a purchase if you own the system.
  3. Aug 10, 2016
    The best dungeon crawler that you can find for PS2. However repetitive the combat might end up being, there is a certain feel about not wanting to loose your favorite weapon to a GOD DAMNED BAT!

(*clears throat*) I recommend you take a crack at this.
  4. Jul 17, 2016
    Dark Cloud is an RPG with Sandbox- and Dungeon Crawler-Elements. You can build villages and cities, find, combine and upgrade weapons, explore Dungeons and fight the Evil Genie. On the one hand it's a really good game and it's lovable but on the other hand it has many flaws. Let's start with the flaws:
    The story is mediocre. Nothing good nothing bad, just how you'd expect it from a Level 5 Game. It could've been made more interesting.
    The controls and the camera are a complete disaster. It's like they made both things differently, because they don't fit. When the character moves to the left or right, the camera moves too fast. Combine that with the manual camera, with which you can't fight against the automated camera and the thousand camerabugs, that's just really bad.
    Other than that there are some unconvenient Designchoices. For example building cities can be a pain in the 'youknowwhat' because you probably need to rebuild them and moving and destroying buildings as well as trees and roads etc. doesn't just work in one motion. Everytime you wanna remove something you have to open the menu, select remove, select the item and start all over again.

But for every flaw there are at least 3 good things. One thing that I like is the weapon system. If you forget to repair a weapon, it breaks and you lose it forever. You can equip Gems on your Weapon, to give your Weapon better Stats and when your Weapons EXP-Bar (Abs.) is full you can upgrade your weapon and make the gemchanges permanent in exchange for the gems of course. There are Legendary Weapons and they are unbreakable until you completed their task. And there's even a talking Slingshot named "Steve".
    The musical arrangements are all very good and you could listen to them for a looong time. Every song underlines the atmosphere of what's going on on screen. The citybuilding-part is really fun, too. Even though I would've wished for a little more freedom (there's a basic layout for every village that you can get a bonus for if you build it like it) it is quite fun to design your own village and walk through it.

The Dungeons are what you would expect from a Dungeon Crawler. Different Dungeontypes with randomly generated Floors, filled with treasurechests, monsters, secret Rooms and Duels (which are basically QTE-Battles). Overall I have to say it's a pretty decent game. Most of the Flaws are either minimal or easy to get used to and the positive things just overweigh the negative things.
  5. Jun 15, 2016
    A classic of the old PS2 games, Dark Cloud is a tremendous ride from start to end, with so much to see and do and, in my humble opinion, the best soundtrack of any game to have been made to that point.
  6. Apr 26, 2016
    Almost 15 years after its initial release, Dark Cloud is a game that still impresses me. Randomly generated dungeons are such a cool idea, the weapon system is unique and fun, and the soundtrack is great. The ability to re-build the world how you (and somewhat how the villagers) see fit really makes this game stand apart from other dungeon crawler games. The story is good, too, albeitAlmost 15 years after its initial release, Dark Cloud is a game that still impresses me. Randomly generated dungeons are such a cool idea, the weapon system is unique and fun, and the soundtrack is great. The ability to re-build the world how you (and somewhat how the villagers) see fit really makes this game stand apart from other dungeon crawler games. The story is good, too, albeit predictable at times.

I have a few gripes with this game, though. For one, not enough new things are introduced after Wise Owl Forrest, the second dungeon. It's at this point where the player will likely have noticed the repetitiveness this game can be criticized for. Second, there's no reason to use anyone but the main character unless you absolutely have to, making the point of having more than one playable character kind of pointless.

Other than that, Dark Cloud is the game to play on a stormy day, even in 2016.
  7. Sep 11, 2013
    While I do give the game credit for trying to do something new, it is far to slow paced and repetitive to enjoy in the long run. It's starts off alright, introducing you to allot of new (at the time) gameplay mechanics. However as the game progresses you notice that each new section more or less does exactly the same thing as the section before. The narrative is also far too disjointed inWhile I do give the game credit for trying to do something new, it is far to slow paced and repetitive to enjoy in the long run. It's starts off alright, introducing you to allot of new (at the time) gameplay mechanics. However as the game progresses you notice that each new section more or less does exactly the same thing as the section before. The narrative is also far too disjointed in order to be invested. You spend too little time with each character and you really end up not caring to much what happens to them.

Overall:

A decent idea that is perhaps to rough in its overall design. With a bit more polish and development this game could have been allot better. Still worth a try, but I would recommend playing this in small doses.
  8. Aug 7, 2013
    when i was much younger, this game pretty much was my child hood. but looking back on it now it is not really as amazing as i thought.
    don't get me wrong, it's still a wonderful game with great graphics, memorable characters and an interesting story. but the writing is a bit iffy, the gameplay can become rather dull and there are some game breaking glitches that cause major problems.

while it was not as super amazing as i thought when i was little. returning to it still left a smile on my face during the experience
  9. Dec 21, 2012
    Once upon a time, this game was possibly the best I had ever played. Many fond memories of the characters, the towns, the weapon system, and even the enormously lengthly and tall Demon Shaft to get the Chronicle 2 sword(the best sword in the game). Of course I couldn't go back to it today, however I still say this was one of the best games I've played to date that could keep me entertainedOnce upon a time, this game was possibly the best I had ever played. Many fond memories of the characters, the towns, the weapon system, and even the enormously lengthly and tall Demon Shaft to get the Chronicle 2 sword(the best sword in the game). Of course I couldn't go back to it today, however I still say this was one of the best games I've played to date that could keep me entertained for such a long period of time. For the memories alone I give this game a 10/10. Dark Cloud was amazing and always will be in the hearts of those who enjoyed it.

To those in 2008 and later, do keep in mind this game is very old and shouldn't be compared to what we have today.
  10. Nov 2, 2012
    Dark Cloud is an astonishing and breathtaking game, it was when it released in 2001, and it still holds up today in 2012. It would be an unorganized mess if written in just one paragraph, so this will be broken into separate points.
    -Plot
    Dark Cloud has a surprisingly fascinating story, even though it may seem simple and childish at face value. Along the way, you are introduced to some colorful characters that you must interact with and learn some of their story to satisfy their needs. The game, however, can take a dark turn at some points later in the game.
    -Graphics
    While Dark Cloud may have been a visually great game at the time, it never had the best graphics. This is not to say that the game looks bad by any means, I would not want it any other way. The game is just dated and it shows in some areas such as with draw distance, lighting water and fire effects. Every texture is well represented and looks nice in total.
    -Sound
    The game has an iffy soundtrack at times. The main theme and the Dran boss music are among the best music I have heard in video games, but some of the later bosses and some of the music for areas are a bit bland and sometimes repetitive. The sound is very well done, the sounds the characters make and the weapons or enemies make are all great, well timed and a great addition to the game.
    -Gameplay
    -Fighting
    Dark Cloud doesn't necessarily have the most complex fighting system, but it fits for this game. You press X, you attack. You hold X, you do a special attack. That's mostly it. Some enemies, like most RPGs, are a certain element and certain attributes to your weapons hurt some enemies more than others. The system is very simple and repetitive, but fun.
    -Dungeon Crawling
    This game has a unique element to exploring it's dungeons. Every time you enter a floor of the dungeon you are in, the floor is randomly generated, a gameplay mechanic that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon utilized. Some floors do, however have a set condition, whether it be forcing you to play as a certain character or having your weapon lose experience as you use it. In dungeons, there is also an area in some floors called a back floor, which is an area you can only access with a specific item that you obtain randomly in chests. These areas have stronger enemies that give you more exp. for your weapons and also have more valuable loot.
    -Weapons
    In the game, you don't exactly level up your character, you do upgrade your defense through items, but all of your attack is based off of the strength of your weapon. Along the game you will naturally come across more weapons. As you use these weapons, they gain experience and can level up, increasing stats, you can increase them further by adding attachments and gems, which speed the process up significantly. Once you get it's stats to a certain point, you can build up your weapon, making it stronger and capable of surpassing the limitations your old weapon could never break. Once you level up a weapon five times, you can break it down into a synthsphere and attach it to a different weapon, giving 60% of all of that weapon's stats to the weapon you put it to. One sidepoint is that your weapons can break, and you will need to repair them before that with repair powders. If your weapon happens to break, you will revert to the weakest weapon in your inventory that can't 'break', but once it reaches the breaking point, it might as well have broken.
    -Characters
    Throughout the game, you will encounter certain characters that will join your party and are essential to get past obstacles your character cannot. These range from three other ranged characters and two melee characters, they all come with their own set of weapons and stats, but overall are just a tool to the game as they seldom provide any additional plot or intricacy to the situation at hand, they never appear in cutscenes out of the place where you find them, either.
    -Georama & Atlamillia
    Now for the most unique part of the game, Atlamillia. As you progress through dungeons, you will find floating orbs called Atlamillia. As you collect Atla, you will come back to the town you are in and notice the Georama system. This system literally lets you rebuild the town you are in from scratch. The Atla that you collect is actually the parts that you use to create the village. You find the townsfolk and they will give you their requests on what they want in their house and how they want their village to be rebuilt. Once you satisfy them, you will obtain a great reward in return.
    -Verdict
    Overall, this game is a gem from my childhood that still stands up today, it is one of my favorite games that I will always cherish and come back to from time to time. I love this game more than it's sequel and hope there is a third sequel in the Dark Cloud franchise because this game warrants it. 10/10.
  11. Sep 26, 2012
    This game at first felt like a blatant Zelda ripoff, then I picked it up again a couple years later to try it out again. I thought I might have judged it too quickly.
    Nope. This game is just not that fun. What is the point of having my weapons break every five minutes if the game doesn't give me the availability of the repair powder? You have to find the shop in the dungeons before you can buy anything, which means no help in getting healing and repair supplies. The game is also very tedious. Why did Sony think it was a good idea to have randomly generated dungeons? Overall, very monotonous, story doesn't make much sense to me, gameplay is aggravating and the controls are awkward.
  12. Jul 21, 2011
    More repetitive than watching the tour de France. Serious collision detection issues, boring enemies, cheap attacks, no ability to buy items until portions of the village have been set down, no interesting characters, no continuity, poor camera, useless item breaking system, tedious town re-building, and many other things. You know that feeling when you've just leveled up that bad-assMore repetitive than watching the tour de France. Serious collision detection issues, boring enemies, cheap attacks, no ability to buy items until portions of the village have been set down, no interesting characters, no continuity, poor camera, useless item breaking system, tedious town re-building, and many other things. You know that feeling when you've just leveled up that bad-ass sword forever and it suddenly breaks in combat? That is essentially what describes the reaction I have to most of this game. Its bland, the environments are repetitive, the combat is boring and it uses those methods to elongate a game that has essentially no story line. I thought things would change up when I was about half-way though the game- but they stayed exactly the same. Although the one positive thing that happened- they made a sequel that fixed a lot of these problems that I still haven't picked up, but I will. Since what I liked in this game I did actually like a lot- its just disappointing that they made so many mistakes the first time. Expand
  13. May 3, 2011
    This is my favorite game of all time. I got back when i was a kid during the early 2000s. I still play it quite frequently to this day. This is one of the only games I've done that with! The plot, is great...but it only gets very interesting near the end. The combat isn't very complex but i find it enjoyable. The music can be great, but some songs are way too overused. The game has flaws,This is my favorite game of all time. I got back when i was a kid during the early 2000s. I still play it quite frequently to this day. This is one of the only games I've done that with! The plot, is great...but it only gets very interesting near the end. The combat isn't very complex but i find it enjoyable. The music can be great, but some songs are way too overused. The game has flaws, but it's still amazing. Expand
  14. JimC
    Jun 10, 2009
    The combat is boring and repetitive, the plot is terrible, and the soundtrack is dull. I personally find half the characters worthless, and they also add nothing to the story. The game is so empty that every main character could die a horrible death and I'd be indifferent. However, I love the weapon system and rebuilding the villages so I might just be able to finish it.
  15. AndoT.
    Apr 13, 2006
    Boring and repetitive. Definately one to steer well clear of. It's so dull that it makes Runescape look inspired.
  16. FedG.
    Oct 30, 2005
    This game is the best.
  17. MatthewI.
    Nov 12, 2004
    Can people please stop judging this game on the demo as only with the real game can you grasp the true monotony of it. The randomly created dungeon levels are dull and exactly the same as the one before it, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the ten more before that and even when you reach the bottom of the dungeons (if you have the patience to get there) bosses consist Can people please stop judging this game on the demo as only with the real game can you grasp the true monotony of it. The randomly created dungeon levels are dull and exactly the same as the one before it, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the ten more before that and even when you reach the bottom of the dungeons (if you have the patience to get there) bosses consist simply of choosing the character with the weapon that can stun the boss and then hitting it with your strongest one. The weapon system is drab and anoying, never giving you enough repair powders with which you acxn repair your swords so that you're eventually forced to sell anything good that you have in order to buy repair powders. And after putting so much work into "training" a sword for it to suddenly break and you loose everything is one of the most annoying things I've ever experinced. For some reason your character cannot go five minutes without a drink. Literally. If he doesn't have a drink he starts to loose health, meaning you either have to stock up on expensive water or constantly trek back across the levels to get to a spring. It gets two marks only for the village building part, which is also flawed. There is no storyline that I can see. Never ever ever get this game. Get Dark Cloud 2 instead. Expand
  18. NaomiM.
    Nov 4, 2004
    Its great!!! I love rebuilding the villages! I just wish they talked!
  19. Theimminent26
    Mar 21, 2003
    I give this pathetic piece of "entertainment" five merely for the georama and the deep weapon system. However every single other aspect except for the usually entertaining music is worthless and should be eternally forgotten the day this game is someones favorite is the end of the world. Plus since the combat is inept it cancels out the deep weapon system. Maybe if you enjoy going to teh I give this pathetic piece of "entertainment" five merely for the georama and the deep weapon system. However every single other aspect except for the usually entertaining music is worthless and should be eternally forgotten the day this game is someones favorite is the end of the world. Plus since the combat is inept it cancels out the deep weapon system. Maybe if you enjoy going to teh exact same dungeon over and over with different "random" floors over and over and over and over for every dungueon you might enjoy this waste of time. ANd as a last note to many characters with useless purposes......I hate this game but you are entitled to your .....opinion...i guess. Expand
  20. RyanM.
    Feb 22, 2003
    Masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just plain fun.
  21. ChrisM.
    Oct 12, 2002
    It's a really good game, but the battle areas, dungeons, never get much different and get boring. I like the upgrade deal that you can do with your weapons and the status break, it helps you to improve your skills and strengths. But, I don't like when you break your weapon and lose all your progress on it. All in all I give this game a rating of 9.
  22. MegV.
    Jul 29, 2002
    Got the demo in the mail. I think it is great like Zelda in the combat system. Building the towns is fun, and I like the dungeons. The whole idea of saving the world is kinda repetitive in games, if they just didn't do it so ... differently. I hope to get this game for X-mas, because its just lovely!
  23. ThomasK.
    Jul 4, 2002
    Challenging but exciting.
  24. CamK.
    Apr 9, 2002
    The gameplay was great at first, but got a little monotonous. It was still pretty fun, though, with the georama stuff and the weapon buildup options. Overall, a great game worth the money.
  25. AmyW.
    Apr 6, 2002
    I love this game. It's the best. I've played Zelda before and when I heard this was similar, I manged to get a demo. The demo is great and I'm quite sure the real game will be even better!!!
  26. Frisco
    Apr 2, 2002
    This is an excellent game, it's VERY addictive and the city building and fishing are really cool, but as much as I love this game, I've gotta chip off 1 point for repetitiveness and well...CRAPPY MUSIC! Good graphics though.
  27. BoredTodeath
    Feb 9, 2002
    I expected this would be like Zelda with a main story and multiple side quests. This was just multiple dungeons doing the same thing over and over and over and over. The Bosses were easy too, including the genie at the end. Expect to be bored to tears and to spend a lot of time as you move from place to place as the game takes forever to switch scenes. The only good thing I can say is the I expected this would be like Zelda with a main story and multiple side quests. This was just multiple dungeons doing the same thing over and over and over and over. The Bosses were easy too, including the genie at the end. Expect to be bored to tears and to spend a lot of time as you move from place to place as the game takes forever to switch scenes. The only good thing I can say is the graphics were excellent. Expand
    Jan 7, 2002
    It is one of the best games I have ever played. It is a lot like Zelda and kind of like Final Fantasy Games as far as the story.
  29. KevinL.
    Dec 30, 2001
    This game is GREAT!!!!!! The only problem with it is that me and my brother fight over who gets to play! Great graphics, and a good gaming format.
  30. DanielN.
    Dec 30, 2001
    Dark Cloud can be described in two words: IT RULES! It has pretty good sound, It's graphics are great, and I love the new weapons system. It gives a great thrill to RPG gamers. I've played Zelda, Final Fantasy IV-X, Legend of the Dragoon, etc., but none of 'em have this good graphics or gameplay. In the end Dark Cloud is one heck of an RPG!
  31. JustinJ.
    Oct 24, 2001
    This game rockz!! The weapons are great, the graphics are sweet, and instead of having all that hard rock stuff, there's just sum mellow music u can chill out to!!:)
  32. AllenP.
    Oct 10, 2001
    Great graphics and the style of play is much more realistic than Zelda.
  33. SeanM.
    Aug 29, 2001
    I was not excited one bit about Dark Cloud. I thought the game looked great from the package and heard great reviews. Sadly, I ended up trading this game because it lacked in the "fun factor." After awhile it got tiring and not as great as it was rated in top magazines. DARK CLOUD gets the McNair thumbs down!
  34. KouisG.
    Jul 23, 2001
    Great, fantastic. It's the best game I ever played. It's like Zelda and Zoe put together.
  35. BobB.
    Jul 12, 2001
    Great!, Fantastic! but a little repetitive. Overall the game has very few weak points and tons of strong points such as stunning weapons, terrific allies, village assembly, and the graphics. Its like "Dundgeons & Dragons" + "Sim City 2000." Very Cool!
    Jul 9, 2001
    It is a great role-playing game.
  37. TomJ.
    Jun 30, 2001
    I love this game because you have a variety of characters, abilities, and magic. Sometimes the game is boring like when you have to go through 18 levels in one dungeon, but its worth the score of a ten.
  38. Nov 2, 2012
    -Georama & Atlamillia
    -Verdict

#16 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#7 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. It’s a captivating run for about the first ten hours of play, then dungeon levels become too mechanical. Still, for all its shortcomings, the game also has its share of charms.
  2. Crawling through hoards of dungeons in search for more, and more pieces to your missing world never got old for me. I was always driven to go on.
  3. The game could not have survived as a dungeon crawler alone, and thankfully the many side diversions offer hours of fun by themselves.