• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Jan 25, 2003
6.8

1. MarkH.
    Apr 5, 2003
    OK so everyone says this game has a bad story line...And infact that is quite true. But you have to stop comparing this to the first one. The first one was based more upon a storyline game. Which everyone loved. (one of the best games ever) but in Dmc 1 there was alot of roaming without battle. So In dmc2 there giving you less of a story and more action,because in the first one some might OK so everyone says this game has a bad story line...And infact that is quite true. But you have to stop comparing this to the first one. The first one was based more upon a storyline game. Which everyone loved. (one of the best games ever) but in Dmc 1 there was alot of roaming without battle. So In dmc2 there giving you less of a story and more action,because in the first one some might say"oh this is boring not enough action" so dmc 2 is for them. But those who love a great story you have dmc1. You need to understand The differences between the two games. Yes i will agree the 1st was better, but 2 was nothing less than an awsome kick ass game. I hate alot of games. But dmc2 is not one of them. Expand
  2. Chris
    Apr 8, 2003
    In my opinion devil may cry 2 is graphically superb and has much better gameplay,bosses and musical scores then the original. dante is cooler and has much more of a playability factor ten the original with all the new outfits and difficulty settings and also the characters a big thumbs up.
  3. LeeK.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Graphics are one of the best I've seen. Boss battles are hard and fun. Fighting can be pretty entertaining. Although you have to be good at jumping in order to finish the level. You have to play for quite awhile before you may upgrade your guns or your swords but overall, a well built game.
  4. PhillipR.
    Feb 8, 2003
    Despite whats said above, anyone who loved the first game will certainly enjoy this game as well. I like the first DMC better, but thats just because it wuz the original, both excelent games....sometimes I think the game critics are just a tad too nit picky.
  5. ChadR.
    Apr 16, 2003
    The game play is one of the moset intresting and difficult to master but I'd have to say I'll play it for a long time yet.
  6. RobertL.
    Apr 20, 2003
    Being new to Devil may cry, I must say the first game was awsome. A week later I bought DMC2, I love it the action is just as good as the first (though I do miss thumping demons into the air and holding them there) witch is not something easily done in the second game. All in all i feel that I did not waste my money. Who missed Dantes smart mouth?! I beileve thats what made the first one Being new to Devil may cry, I must say the first game was awsome. A week later I bought DMC2, I love it the action is just as good as the first (though I do miss thumping demons into the air and holding them there) witch is not something easily done in the second game. All in all i feel that I did not waste my money. Who missed Dantes smart mouth?! I beileve thats what made the first one so much fun. Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2013
    When I first played this I found the addition of a new playable character, the ability to fly, the ability to run superfast along with interesting puzzles and enemies to be a good + point for gameplay. Another thing I appreciated was the fact that you can approach a situation in two different ways since you get to play as two characters, each with their own perspectives. However, at theWhen I first played this I found the addition of a new playable character, the ability to fly, the ability to run superfast along with interesting puzzles and enemies to be a good + point for gameplay. Another thing I appreciated was the fact that you can approach a situation in two different ways since you get to play as two characters, each with their own perspectives. However, at the same time the gameplay was heavily damaged due to the slower/sluggish fighting overall as compared to Devil May Cry 1. But this is just my personal opinion as some people might prefer this type of gameplay instead. Gameplay: 8.5/10

As for the graphics, they are quite dumbed down compared to the original Devil May Cry 1 and the camera angles are EXTREMELY bad compared to the first's amazing camera angles. Still, the game does manage to do some things better like have more shiny effects and give a more detailed character model to Dante. Graphics: 7.5/10

Finally the story. The story of this game is not at all as good as the original's more personal story. Dante's story is just okay and Lucia's story is the only good and actual interesting part. Nevertheless, the introduction and the endings are just as well delivered as the first game IMO. Since this game has two stories and I actually liked Lucia's story, I'll give it a break. Story: 8.5/10
  8. Jonh
    Feb 7, 2005
    This game is very nice but the first devil is better but if you play the devil may cry 1 i think that you'll like this 1.
  9. MarkL.
    Dec 1, 2003
    I throughly enjoyed this game even so that i have done all the modes.
  10. AssL.
    Feb 26, 2003
    Excellent game.
  11. DrakeD.
    Aug 9, 2005
    What in the f**k are you people thinking? this game is frickin` awesome it deserves a 10!
  12. OrenM.
    Apr 8, 2003
    This game is so fun, I really feel 7 years younger now playing tomb-raid 1, or even more younger playing Quake 1. What doubles the fun is the double adventure of dante and lucia. I already wait for the DMV3...
  13. AkeemG.
    Apr 3, 2008
    The two main reasons why I love Devil May Cry 2 More than part 1 and 3 is because it is the only game in the series that contains massive atmospheric levels to play in and super cool ass kicking acrobatic attacks to combat the enemy with. I also love to play this game because I love to see the way Dante uses his guns,especially when doing the rain storm attack with ebony and ivory (it is The two main reasons why I love Devil May Cry 2 More than part 1 and 3 is because it is the only game in the series that contains massive atmospheric levels to play in and super cool ass kicking acrobatic attacks to combat the enemy with. I also love to play this game because I love to see the way Dante uses his guns,especially when doing the rain storm attack with ebony and ivory (it is ten times more cooler than the Rain Storm attack in part 3). More reasons why I love Devil May cry 2 the most is because the movements of the characters when attacking and evading an enemy are more realistic and cooler than the other Devil May Cry games in my opinion and I also believe that Devil my cry 2 is one of the best games for the play station 2 because it has one of the most intense final boss battles that I I have ever experienced, The Despair Emdodied is the name of the final boss on Dante's Disc and fighting him is truly an exciting experience. Why is it that most of the original games that truly separate themselves from the rest are always receive a low rating from critics. Expand
  14. Feb 24, 2013
    It may not be as good as the first Devil May Cry, but Devil May Cry 2 is still an awesome game. I had an absolute blast with this game. I loved the soundtrack, the creepy environments, and the cool boss fights. One particular cool feature DMC 2 offers is that it has two different campaigns that tie into each other. One is the Dante campaign and the other gives us a new character to play asIt may not be as good as the first Devil May Cry, but Devil May Cry 2 is still an awesome game. I had an absolute blast with this game. I loved the soundtrack, the creepy environments, and the cool boss fights. One particular cool feature DMC 2 offers is that it has two different campaigns that tie into each other. One is the Dante campaign and the other gives us a new character to play as named Lucia. It's all very cool it's just kind of disappointing that so much content is the same in both campaigns (same bosses, levels, and objectives). But still there's enough differences between the campaigns to warrant another playthrough. While the is still an awesome DMC game there are some things that are going to disappoint fans. The first being it's a short game, you can complete both campaigns in about 4-6 hours and it's a lot easier than the first was. The high replay value makes up for the short length, but the dip in difficulty is likely going to turn off most fans. The camera is also a slight issue this time around, you still don't have control over it which means it isn't always in the best position. But still even with it's flaws I had tons of fun with this game. So I do recommend this game, it's a super fun hack and slash with loads of style. Just keep in mind it's not going to be as good as the first DMC. Expand

Games this intense are rare, and DMC2's minor flaws are well worth dealing with. [Mar 2003, p.45]
  2. A solid game with plenty of action, but the original set new standards for this genre, and DMC 2 just doesn't match its level of personality or polish. [Mar 2003, p.34]
  3. It's just disappointing to see such an uninspired sequel that simply goes through the motions of being an action game rather than taking advantage of concepts introduced in its predecessor.