• Publisher: Capcom
  • Release Date: Jan 25, 2003
6.9

1. Jan 5, 2013
    When I first played this I found the addition of a new playable character, the ability to fly, the ability to run superfast along with interesting puzzles and enemies to be a good + point for gameplay. Another thing I appreciated was the fact that you can approach a situation in two different ways since you get to play as two characters, each with their own perspectives. However, at the same time the gameplay was heavily damaged due to the slower/sluggish fighting overall as compared to Devil May Cry 1. But this is just my personal opinion as some people might prefer this type of gameplay instead. Gameplay: 8.5/10

As for the graphics, they are quite dumbed down compared to the original Devil May Cry 1 and the camera angles are EXTREMELY bad compared to the first's amazing camera angles. Still, the game does manage to do some things better like have more shiny effects and give a more detailed character model to Dante. Graphics: 7.5/10

Finally the story. The story of this game is not at all as good as the original's more personal story. Dante's story is just okay and Lucia's story is the only good and actual interesting part. Nevertheless, the introduction and the endings are just as well delivered as the first game IMO. Since this game has two stories and I actually liked Lucia's story, I'll give it a break. Story: 8.5/10
  2. Feb 24, 2013
    It may not be as good as the first Devil May Cry, but Devil May Cry 2 is still an awesome game. I had an absolute blast with this game. I loved the soundtrack, the creepy environments, and the cool boss fights. One particular cool feature DMC 2 offers is that it has two different campaigns that tie into each other. One is the Dante campaign and the other gives us a new character to play as named Lucia. It's all very cool it's just kind of disappointing that so much content is the same in both campaigns (same bosses, levels, and objectives). But still there's enough differences between the campaigns to warrant another playthrough. While the is still an awesome DMC game there are some things that are going to disappoint fans. The first being it's a short game, you can complete both campaigns in about 4-6 hours and it's a lot easier than the first was. The high replay value makes up for the short length, but the dip in difficulty is likely going to turn off most fans. The camera is also a slight issue this time around, you still don't have control over it which means it isn't always in the best position. But still even with it's flaws I had tons of fun with this game. So I do recommend this game, it's a super fun hack and slash with loads of style. Just keep in mind it's not going to be as good as the first DMC. Expand

Games this intense are rare, and DMC2's minor flaws are well worth dealing with. [Mar 2003, p.45]
  2. A solid game with plenty of action, but the original set new standards for this genre, and DMC 2 just doesn't match its level of personality or polish. [Mar 2003, p.34]
  3. It's just disappointing to see such an uninspired sequel that simply goes through the motions of being an action game rather than taking advantage of concepts introduced in its predecessor.