FIFA Soccer 06 PlayStation 2

7.8

1. CxG
    Oct 13, 2005
    Let me just begin by telling you that this is the biggest letdown in the FIFA franchise (if you mostly play against the CPU). FIFA 2005 key features such as First Touch control, and Off the Ball Control, have been inexplicably scrapped. The gameplay has been terribly downgraded. For instance, in order to regain possession of the football, you'll have mark the opponent(by holding o), Let me just begin by telling you that this is the biggest letdown in the FIFA franchise (if you mostly play against the CPU). FIFA 2005 key features such as First Touch control, and Off the Ball Control, have been inexplicably scrapped. The gameplay has been terribly downgraded. For instance, in order to regain possession of the football, you'll have mark the opponent(by holding o), block (R2), and finally nick it away (press o). I mean, it takes more buttons to get something done, while it gives you the choice of exactly how to do it. EA claims to have realistic graphics. Well, let me tell you, I've never seen a wet pitch (field) as dark as the amazon green this game portrays. Additionally, EA should've emphasized on the build-up to next year's 2006 World Cup by having a [World Cup] Qualifying mode. So unless you're a die hard FIFA gamer, this version has less of the gameplay a lot of you liked from last year and only refreshed rosters and killer playlist in compensation. At the end, there are a lot of things that bug than please me in this game. Expand

#51 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#34 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. PSM Magazine
    It may only be a year or so from topping "Winning Eleven." [Nov 2005, p.92]
  2. Game Informer
    FIFA is still doomed to feel a little stiff due to its reliance on set animations to govern play, and there are plenty of frustrating AI mistakes that linger. [Oct 2005, p.128]
  3. The players move so sluggishly it feels as if the match is being played on a waterlogged, mud-treacle pitch. And what's with the ball still feeling like it's tethered to a player's feet by an invisible elastic band after all these years of the same complaint? [PSW]