6.8

1. RickB.
    Jan 12, 2005
    Why in god's name would i buy this game. I played about 9 hours of gameplay at my friends house(a die hard FF fan), and its like playing something so soul-less, its hard to think it's final fantasy. First they F**k up final fantasy X with FFX-2 and now this. A game that first of all is gonna cost you about 150, then playing online for 13 bucks a month, and get this if you wanna Why in god's name would i buy this game. I played about 9 hours of gameplay at my friends house(a die hard FF fan), and its like playing something so soul-less, its hard to think it's final fantasy. First they F**k up final fantasy X with FFX-2 and now this. A game that first of all is gonna cost you about 150, then playing online for 13 bucks a month, and get this if you wanna play with someone you have to have two acconts that will run you about 30 bucks a month(yes to play a game). Thats dollors,so i'm giving Square about 250 dollors before i even play the game, and a sh*@ game at that. Ever since final fantasy 10, the games have gone from worse to horrid. I'll really pass on this game. Expand
  2. Nov 2, 2010
    this is one of the best and worst MMO's ive ever played . there is some great things in this game with alot of bad. the good would be theres actaully a decent story in this game which for most MMO's they usualy suck. combat is actaully fun with the use of skill chains and magic burst attacks you actaully feel like you have to use some team work to kill enimys although its more like speedthis is one of the best and worst MMO's ive ever played . there is some great things in this game with alot of bad. the good would be theres actaully a decent story in this game which for most MMO's they usualy suck. combat is actaully fun with the use of skill chains and magic burst attacks you actaully feel like you have to use some team work to kill enimys although its more like speed things up for more exp . the world is huge and looks great. there are many crafts you can do to make money . the BCNM's are insanely tough and fun . every thing els pretty much sucks about this game . the party system is broken as because sqaurenix in its infinite stupidity destroyed most of the classes and favord just a few . so if you want to be that summoner and get to 75 forget it . unless you want to spend weeks looking for a party and never getting it . traveling around the worls is complete BS! it takes FOREVER to get any where miss the air ship well you gota sit and wait , miss the boat well gotta sit and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait , want a tele to some where then you sit and yell and wait , looking for a party well you put your flag up and you wait and you wait and wait and wait and wait and wait ... you get the picture . this game shouldnt be called FFXI it should be called FF online the extremely long waiting game . doing quests solo is extremely hard so guess what more waiting for people to help unless you have a very very helpful linkshell group. the econimy is a complete mess and prices fluctate so badly its beyond rediculas . the mix in with the japanese players is terrable especially if you are on a japanese driven server and they dont like to play with US players because of the communication breakdown . they should have gave you options to play in ENG, JP , or mixed servers . paying $13 a month for this game is rediculas it should be eather from free to $5 a month with up to 8 extra charicters FOR FREE!!! because why the **** am i paying $13 a month to sit around and do nothing ? Expand
  3. Yomurphy
    Jun 5, 2004
    Greatest game i ever played....period.
  4. Jul 10, 2013
    Once you get over the initial macro creation the game is boundless fun. Great class and crafting systems. Would play again if it were to ever become F2P.
  5. Sep 7, 2013
    Oh my Final Fantasy XI what can I say, it is the first MMO I truly fell in love with. As all my reviews with MMO’s start out the same as I’ve been playing MMO most all my life and they are my favorite type of game to play. As this review is being done on 9/7/2013 that’s how I’ll be looking at the game as it stands now. I’ve already done a PC review on this so check that out as for thisOh my Final Fantasy XI what can I say, it is the first MMO I truly fell in love with. As all my reviews with MMO’s start out the same as I’ve been playing MMO most all my life and they are my favorite type of game to play. As this review is being done on 9/7/2013 that’s how I’ll be looking at the game as it stands now. I’ve already done a PC review on this so check that out as for this review will be regarding the ps2 version of the game. It should be noted that you can still play on the PS2 but the latest expansion is unavailable to anyone outside of the JP market. It’s the same game that you will get on any other platform it’s available on, but with muddier graphics and longer load times. Right now if you need to play it on a console and don’t have a PC just get the XBOX 360 version of the game, it’s still fully supported and text textures are better for HDTV’s. Expand
  6. JoeG.
    Mar 29, 2004
    This game is rock-out awesome! I don't care that this is online-only and $12.95 (or more) a month to play, it rocks to no end. Given also that it comes with the HDD needed, AS WELL AS TETRA-MASTER, it rocks! If you're a fan of any RPG game, you should definitely give this a try.
  7. EricB.
    Jul 17, 2004
    This game is absloutley brilliant and I love it.....I cant stop playing it....it is just too much fun.
  8. WillyC.
    Dec 2, 2003
    AMAZING!
  9. Sep 15, 2011
    An other wise good game ruined by the poor handling of customers and insanity that passes for logic by its development team. This is the only company I've ever dealt with that literally refused to take my money. They stopped processing credit cards you see, so even long time customers suddenly have to work with a 3rd party billing company. But not just any company - only the small handfulAn other wise good game ruined by the poor handling of customers and insanity that passes for logic by its development team. This is the only company I've ever dealt with that literally refused to take my money. They stopped processing credit cards you see, so even long time customers suddenly have to work with a 3rd party billing company. But not just any company - only the small handful Square Enix picked. Which all SUCK. Customer support does nothing but humor the customer and try to get them off the phone or out of the chat window as soon as possible. Nothing will be resolved no matter what you were contacting them about. They will only "record this as feedback" and nothing will be done to correct the problem your having or prevent it from happening to the next guy. And "balance" to the dev team goes something like this: day 1 of new content only 3 people at a time may operate the doorway to the new battlefield. A line of 400 people has formed while more are on the way. Nothing is done for the congestion because "it will die down". A few weeks later nobody is present and the content is mostly unused. All because the engine supposedly can't handle true instancing. Expand
  10. May 14, 2014
    MMO's suck! All are a waste of human time. That's for the people who make them and the ones who play them. Paying a fee per month to play is so stupid. People have wasted hundreds of dollars on crap. Graphics leave much to be desired even WoW sucks to this day. The fighting mechanics on any mmo is slow and meant for a 5th grade level IQ. Horrible game and terrible genre of games. Play oneMMO's suck! All are a waste of human time. That's for the people who make them and the ones who play them. Paying a fee per month to play is so stupid. People have wasted hundreds of dollars on crap. Graphics leave much to be desired even WoW sucks to this day. The fighting mechanics on any mmo is slow and meant for a 5th grade level IQ. Horrible game and terrible genre of games. Play one of thousands of games that are better. Expand
  11. JonZ.
    Sep 10, 2004
    Im up to 800 hours, 3000 more to go and cant wait!!! Everyone should give this one a shot.
  12. DaveB.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Very large and interesting world with so many players you allways have someone to play with and talk to. joining a good guild can really make your gameplay much more fun.
  13. MatheusG.
    Sep 28, 2005
    If you neglect the existence of guild wars and world of warcraft then ffxi is one of the best of its kind. however, although very exciting in the beginning, it gets extremely annyoing and downright unrewarding to the point where it's hard to have any fun at all. best advice someone ever gave me in my linkshell in ffxi: try guild wars!!
  14. JoseV.
    Aug 16, 2006
    Great game with good graphic, awesome battle system for RGP genre game, though really addicting but it's a fun game.
  15. GeorgeC.
    Mar 28, 2004
    Fun and addicting, not for everyone tho, but it certainly is for me^^
  16. OmarM.
    May 4, 2004
    I don't really like this game because its not realistic. I mean in terms of graphics it realistic... But let me just ask you when you get into fights do you take turns with your enemy hitting eachother. The fighting scenes should be an all out fighting experience.
  17. RobertBoothJ.
    Jun 13, 2004
    It is brill, it is the best final fantasy ever!
    Sep 19, 2004
    This game sucks in general just because it's "ONLINE"... Final Fantasy is my favoritest or one of my favoritest games ever but it sucks that they had to make this one "ONLINE ONLY", i liked it better with just the regular plot and from what i can find on FF XI: Chains of Promathia, it's going to suck *ss to because it's "ONLINE ONLY"
  19. StevenC.
    Jul 25, 2005
    This is realy as you can get to living a vertual life. This game is so adictive that you will spend all your wakling life trying to get back on to play with your friends and take on the world of vana'dile with 100s of diffrent quest with rewards to help enhance you characters and missions to incress your rank this game is one not to miss.
  20. BryanS.
    Dec 6, 2006
    Great story and characters. Can't believe it didn't get a higher rating.
  21. JamesT.
    Apr 11, 2006
    i hate this game, you have to pay a massive amount of money every month just to get knowhere. It is nothing like the other final fantasy games and if thats what your looking for then buy final fantasy XII or XIII etc.
  22. chadcardeiro
    Jan 17, 2008
    One of the best game i ever played.
    I bought when i found out it is playable on the ps3 for only 40 bucks with all 4 expansion packs you just download a free pack from the psn store, install the game an setup your account an your ready to go.
    Well worth the 40 bucks.
  23. FredM.
    Mar 14, 2004
    I love the game, don't get me wrong, but what I really REALLLLY hate, is the god damned price you have to pay to play it. Square Enix should have put up a free server, that way, they might have sold a shit load MORE games and still would have made a bigger profit
  24. FredM.
    Mar 14, 2004
  25. Shockeye
    Dec 27, 2004
    Whoever said this was better than Everquest, never played Everquest. The graphics look like they belong on a PS2, as if making a PC version was only an after thought. The PC controls are horrible. It's a great game on the PS2. On the PC however, it's pretty terrible.

1. If FFXI gets its hooks into you, you may find yourself not buying any other games for a long time.
    For many, Final Fantasy XI will be the Holy Grail of nonlinearity: a wide-open RPG universe with Final Fantasy flair, defined by its players as much as its developers, beloved for all its flaws. Love it or hate it, there’s nothing like it on your PS2.
  3. It is so involving and addictive that perhaps Sony and Square Enix should consider putting a warning label on the box, something like “Caution: life altering game contained within”.