7.8

1. Meli
    Jan 9, 2007
    There is nothing I can say here that hasn't already been said, but I will echo the complaints of a shoddy battle system and an extremely disappointing story that relies upon pseudo-philosophical apologetics and apologists to power the hype-wagon that has sold the game so far. Very sad, really.
  2. ChristopherF.
    Feb 7, 2007
    DO NOT buy this game if you are looking for a good/engrossing storyline, because you won't get one here, the story and characters are bland, the new battle system is good and so is the new camera system, some of the sidequests are also fun which is why I'll give it some credit but ultimately i found the game to be very disappointing, i bought it for the story, I don't think DO NOT buy this game if you are looking for a good/engrossing storyline, because you won't get one here, the story and characters are bland, the new battle system is good and so is the new camera system, some of the sidequests are also fun which is why I'll give it some credit but ultimately i found the game to be very disappointing, i bought it for the story, I don't think it was too much to expect a decent storyline from a Final Fantasy game but this one falls flat on it's face, there are no memorable characters here, no memorable scenes, the story is just boring, don't expect to be pulled by the story here because you won't be. Expand
  3. MorganW.
    Mar 4, 2008
    Haveing played most games in the ff range and a player of ff11 for the past 3 years i can safely say that ff12 would be right near the bottom of my list! As soon as i started playing my first impression was that this game seems like Kingdom Hearts 2 with the kid charcter main leads and the poor story line. Also the battle system is similar to Kingdom hearts. im shocked to see some of the Haveing played most games in the ff range and a player of ff11 for the past 3 years i can safely say that ff12 would be right near the bottom of my list! As soon as i started playing my first impression was that this game seems like Kingdom Hearts 2 with the kid charcter main leads and the poor story line. Also the battle system is similar to Kingdom hearts. im shocked to see some of the other peoples comments about this game im guessing people who have given this game 10 have had little or no experience in rpgs or perhaps are very easily entertained -_- this game lacks a decent story 1st and foremost and really doesnt allow the player to become emersed into the game unlike other ff games. i think that SE belived that by takeing the points from one of there most sucessful games of recent times, the MMORPG FFXI, it would work just as well. Im sorry to tell you this SE but it really doesnt work like that! it may be fine in FFXI to have secret chests in hard to reach locations containing rare equipment, it is also fine to have difficult to pop rare monsters! this works in a MMORPG because you have contant contact with hundreds of other players and can form big parties! However when you apply this to a normal RPG game how can this ever work??? To succesfuly complete this game you will need a guide which tells you which chests to open and what routes to take! On the other hand that said this game is really easy to complete and it insnt necessary to aquire all the items or all the best equipment! In fact this game only has about 30hours of storyline gameplay and perhaps only 1hour of that being enjoyable! Playing this game felt like a chore to me even though i completed it twice! ( the first time i completed it i thought id missed loads of the story out and perhaps my game had glitched....i wish it had) If your a huge FF fan like me then you will be dissapointed with this game it has no romance or flair just like the older titles. If your a KIngdom Hearts fan you may like it more as the game flows in a similar way. But personly i think KIngdom Hearts is a lot better than this. (p.s Dr.Avery i think you must have been playing a different game! the game you rate is not FF12 >.>) Expand
  4. ZidaneT.
    May 14, 2008
    this game was a pain to play, it was just so boring for a final fantasy which i expected to be fun. if a game is not fun then whats the point to playing? the main part of a game is that it should be fun. i felt nothing for the main characters and i never grew attached to them like i have to previous final fantasies like ff9 or ff7. there was no love story no chemistry nothing.
  5. SimonB
    Jan 24, 2010
    The only Final Fantasy I have never bothered to finish. Dull with no real story and no characters I really liked/hated. I had no reason to believe in their quest for "whatever it was they were doing". Interesting battle system and looked nice but that was it.
  6. Yoshi
    Feb 1, 2010
    To put it simply, if storyline and music is the big thing for you in a RPG, you probably won't like it. Really can't believe this is a FF. Played them all from oiginal versions of North American FF2 onwards along with square's other popular RPG titles, FF12 is the only one that fails to get me hooked. 40+ hours in and I can still switch it off and walk away with little to To put it simply, if storyline and music is the big thing for you in a RPG, you probably won't like it. Really can't believe this is a FF. Played them all from oiginal versions of North American FF2 onwards along with square's other popular RPG titles, FF12 is the only one that fails to get me hooked. 40+ hours in and I can still switch it off and walk away with little to no hesitation. Don't see why those popular sites gave it such high ratings. Maybe graphics makes up 80% of their final score. Whatever it may be, they valued battle system, graphics, and customization above storyline. Pop the disk in and you'll see a mix of in-game movie clips - that you will all see again during gameplay, and remix of classic FF themes - seemed so lazy. The intro movie was actually great, but once the game really starts with your main character, it's done. All the exceptional stuff people loved about the previous FF's - especially music, storyline, character development - nowhere to be found in this installment really. Even though each character only has 5 equipment slots, shopping for equipment will drive you crazy - A combination of mass swapping between menus and interfaces, exiting shop interface to open up menus. People that gets high over the ability to customize - like putting in a different color case for your gameboy ipod or the likes - are probably the ones loving the license idea. To me it makes every single character the same blank sheet. One is, and can be, exactly the same as the other. No uniqueness. They're all FF6 Gogo's. But to be fair, the idea of selling loots instead of picking up gil directly from monsters is interesting. Picking up special equipment by selling loot is great too. But if this thing costs more than twenty bucks... you might have more fun replaying the old FF you love instead. Coming from someone that thoroughly enjoyed every other piece of square's RPG from SNES days. Expand
  7. DawnofGriever
    Mar 4, 2010
    This was a terrible final fantasy got home after buying for 60 quid thought 2 myself the starts crap but it will pick up it never did terrible and the combat system is garbage auto running to the enemy when you even have long range weapons and summoning became pointless with the stupid quickenings bout a month later i went back to the same shop it was 20 quid square shot itself in the This was a terrible final fantasy got home after buying for 60 quid thought 2 myself the starts crap but it will pick up it never did terrible and the combat system is garbage auto running to the enemy when you even have long range weapons and summoning became pointless with the stupid quickenings bout a month later i went back to the same shop it was 20 quid square shot itself in the foot this time but i hope 13 is better. Expand
  8. MattL.
    Feb 4, 2007
    Final Fantasy has been ruined by "Change". No break screen? Final Fantasy's signature is the "Break Screen". Without that it isnt Final Fantasy. It's just a Knock off Star Wars Game with a Poor Storyline. How can people like this crap. Don't let good graphics blind your judgment.
  9. Jan 16, 2012
    Many fans of Final Fantasy will bash this game because of its dramatically different Gambit battle system. While this is definitely unlike any Final Fantasy game you have experienced, the Gambit system really is an extremely well done battle system that even went on to inspire games like Dragon Age Origins. If you take the time to learn it you will appreciate the strategic aspects ofMany fans of Final Fantasy will bash this game because of its dramatically different Gambit battle system. While this is definitely unlike any Final Fantasy game you have experienced, the Gambit system really is an extremely well done battle system that even went on to inspire games like Dragon Age Origins. If you take the time to learn it you will appreciate the strategic aspects of planning your battle commands beforehand but in the event you really do not like the battle system, Gambits can be turned off for a more traditional Final Fantasy style of gameplay. Once Gamebits have been turned off, the battle system becomes Final Fantasy except with a controllable character and seamless battles, both of which are enormous improvements to the game. I fear many people have dismissed this game far too early, and if they had taken the time to appreciate the mechanics of the game they would have been able to experience one of the most intricate stories and deep characters ever created in a Final Fantasy game. Expand
  10. Jul 21, 2011
    Pretty sweet game. So much to do, awesome battle system. Interesting characters (some are annoying but most are great). One of my faves for Playstation 2
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    I think one of the reasons people are so critical is because it is a final fantasy game. If it would be a new series then evrybody would say: ''Did you hear of this game? It's really good, you should try it out.''
    And they would be correct. The game is really good. The environments are beautiful, the characters are okay, the story is good... My problem is with the gameplay. It's boring because you control only one character instead of all of them and when an enemy appears your party members attack on their own accord and during the fight you can hardly evade the attacks of the enemies. What is the point of creating real time battles (the opposite of turn based battles in which you stand in a row and await your turn) if you can't evade. You can run away while you wait for your bar to charge but you will recieve damage of a swordslash 4 meters away from you. Another thing is the large amount of grinding before a boss battle because you aren't strong enough yet to beat him. It happens multiple times that you have to grind for 2 to 3 hours and that isn't fun. To conclude with a positve note: The instructions you can give your party members are really extensive and there is very very much to do in this game.
  12. Apr 26, 2012
    Everything about this game speaks of mediocrity. I've tried to play this game three times and it is simply impossible to do. I was a huge final fantasy fan and I picked this game up on it's release and played for a few hours before becoming disappointed and not touching it for a year. I tried again and struggled up to the Stillshrine of Merriam where I simply couldn't get any furtherEverything about this game speaks of mediocrity. I've tried to play this game three times and it is simply impossible to do. I was a huge final fantasy fan and I picked this game up on it's release and played for a few hours before becoming disappointed and not touching it for a year. I tried again and struggled up to the Stillshrine of Merriam where I simply couldn't get any further because I didn't grind. I picked it up again and March to play through because I simply wondered if I did not give this game a fair try. I spent hours grinding in the Lhusu mines and didn't struggle any longer but then of course it just became so boring. I'll try to give a run down of what I experienced in my last game.

The characters were indeed as bad I remembered, Vaan is in the top 10 of worst video game characters PERIOD. No one on the cast was really likable as none of them have any development. Baltheir, the character many cite as the best, is little more than a generic jerk. It's clear that Bashe was intended to be the main character at one point and when they scrapped that for Vaan they were unable to fix the dialogue and characters before releasing the game. The bad guys get multiple times more character development than the characters you use do.

The combat is BORING. You don't actually do much of anything you sit there and watch your character do all the work. There are no interesting abilities, gone are monk, dragoon and other abilities you might be familiar with and instead you get 3 abilities you need a math degree to use properly and another "dark" attack that takes health to use which is basically juts an auto attack. In fact magic is gimped in a variety of was, the biggest being you don't get the gambits you need for it until the end of the game. Because magic is gimped what you get is a "tank" a melee attacker and a healer which is quite boring. And for a game that has a "aggro" mechanic it's terrible, you have no way to control it until you get decoy which is just a spell you're going to have one of your characters spam on your tank every time it runs out which automatically makes him have all the aggro. The story seems confused and disjointed. It starts out with a good back drop but then stagnates. FFXII all but lacks the epic sceenes and emotional story twists one would come to expect from this series. It didn't help that some environments like the Sand Sea were so pointlessly huge that by the time you got to your destination you could forget why you were going there in the first place.

Grinding, why would they go back to this? I didn't play any other RPG on the PS or the PS2 that required me to grind. Why after 7, 8, 9, and 10 would they go back to the SNES era of grinding in order to progress?

I've never made it past the Stillshrine of Merriam it simply becomes impossible to care about getting further the combat is pointlessly boring, the story moves slower than a snail, and I really don't care what happens to any of these characters. This game is one of the biggest disappointments in the history of gaming, by no strech of logic can I understand how this game has such a high score. I started this review calling it mediocre and it is, but for a game so boring and pointlessly long that I can't even complete this game deserves the low score I'm giving it.
  13. TCH
    Jun 1, 2008
    I've read the reviews that claim this is amazing once you get inside, but I'm unconvinced and not inclined to bother. Very boring gameplay to begin; far, far, far too many beautiful but ultimately pointless and annoying cutscenes (skip 3 in a row, anyone?); and WTF? no option to invert the view controls. That for me is a deal breaker - it requires (I assume) virtually no effort I've read the reviews that claim this is amazing once you get inside, but I'm unconvinced and not inclined to bother. Very boring gameplay to begin; far, far, far too many beautiful but ultimately pointless and annoying cutscenes (skip 3 in a row, anyone?); and WTF? no option to invert the view controls. That for me is a deal breaker - it requires (I assume) virtually no effort on the part of developers, just a modicum of respect for the way my brain prefers to work. Can't rank it higher, no matter what others say. Expand
  14. EternalP.
    Jan 14, 2007
    This game hurts the team. Maybe not the Square team, but you know what I mean. Wasted 25 hrs to realize the game goes nowhere and is completely boring as hell. I could sit the controller down and have my dumb ai party beat the game for me without even leveling up. Old school rpg gamers, don't bother. Newbies to the genre (PS2 and up) and kids keep this crap going hard.
  15. Darkbhudda
    Mar 8, 2007
    The camera is inverted from the standard way other games use it. There is no option to change it, making this game impossible to play for me.
  16. GalvinO.
    Jun 29, 2008
    The best RPG on PS2. Anyone who says FFX is better than this likes linear interactive movies that focus too much on story over gameplay.
  17. Oct 5, 2010
    This is the best final fantasy in almost every aspect, its even artistically superior to XIII, however its not the best overall, because the story and characters plays a fundamental role in Final Fantasy and this entry fails in that department, there is a lack of side quest and minigames that not involves kill monsters, and sidequest that add pieces to the story.

The music is good but not

The music is good but not the most memorable. the battle system is great , funniest grinding ever in a final fantasy, the character customization system is good enough but could be better
  18. Oct 14, 2011
    I thought the battle system was awkward, but this is a pretty solid game. I used to play Final Fantasy XI, and honestly - Final Fantasy XII is what Final Fantasy XI should have been. I can go out and fight whenever I want, without having to seek help for a few hours. It would be fun if Square made an online game where you control a party, not a single character. I think that's where theyI thought the battle system was awkward, but this is a pretty solid game. I used to play Final Fantasy XI, and honestly - Final Fantasy XII is what Final Fantasy XI should have been. I can go out and fight whenever I want, without having to seek help for a few hours. It would be fun if Square made an online game where you control a party, not a single character. I think that's where they went wrong in their online games. Could you imagine playing any Final Fantasy, just with a 1 character party? Exactly. Onto the review. The battle system lets you basically program how your characters are to act. The skill grid is great, if you invest enough time into the game each character can obtain all the skills, except for the summons, which are one per character. They let you build your characters however you see fit. If you liked Final Fantasy XI , this is like playing that, except single player, no subscription fees, and straight out more fun. The story left me confused though, I wasn't sure exactly what I was fighting for. Still a solid score, however. Expand
  19. Jan 19, 2012
    Overall I think final fantasy XII is a good game.That being said, it has it's down points.The story is adequate but not as interesting as some of it's predecessors and the main character could be a bit more interesting. The battles are challenging, but sometimes I'd wonder if they're fair in certain areas or battles. Items are sometimes almost impossible to obtain. Likewise, side questOverall I think final fantasy XII is a good game.That being said, it has it's down points.The story is adequate but not as interesting as some of it's predecessors and the main character could be a bit more interesting. The battles are challenging, but sometimes I'd wonder if they're fair in certain areas or battles. Items are sometimes almost impossible to obtain. Likewise, side quest some enemies are almost impossible to find. To sum it up, it seems you're just a little to limited in this final fantasy. If you like challenging side quest and battles you should try this. After all, it's not a bad game. You may like it even. Expand
  20. Feb 10, 2012
    The plot failed to attract me, and the characters were generally flat (except Balthier or Basch) but the game hooked me since the first moment. The fighting system is excellent, and I never got bored of it throughout the game.

Another positive point was the length of the game. A lot of secrets and new weapons that required long walks along the huge maps and had a proper difficulty. The

The gambits were well established, although if you abused them, that could worsen the experience of the game.

I forgot the OST and other themes. I would stand out the boss fight theme, it was extremely EPIC.
  21. Jun 12, 2011
    This game is terrible; its high metacritic score is the result of the name of the game and the producer. In reality, this game is ****

The problem arises on many fronts. Firstly, the main character, Vaan, sucks. Indeed, he, along with Penelo, were shoehorned into the game late in development because they had concerns that the original main character, Basch, was too manly for the

The problem arises on many fronts.

Firstly, the main character, Vaan, sucks. Indeed, he, along with Penelo, were shoehorned into the game late in development because they had concerns that the original main character, Basch, was too manly for the Japanese. It shows. He is basically uninvolved with the story and uninteresting in general, and he basically stands back whenever story sequences occur and is completely irrelevant. He should never have been in there in the first place.

Secondly, the pacing of this game is abominable. You run for hours and hours for a fifteen minute bit of dialogue, then do it again. At one point, you go through four or six huge areas just to get to the next plot point; it is simply awful and you lose all interest in the game.

Thirdly, the gameplay is bad. The game is insanely easy and boring in its ease, and indeed, you can turn on gambits and cruise through the whole game - your input is barely required, really, and that is just bad.

Fourthly, the bonus content, such as the extra bosses, are just meaningless grind fests with millions of hit points which take hours to kill but are uninteresting in being fought; they just are an endurance challenge, as they are not particularly difficult to beat, just incredibly time consuming.

All in all, this game is bad, and marks the start of Final Fantasy games just not getting it.
  22. Jun 3, 2013
    positives:the game doesn't need you. just let your teams AI do the battling for you and you will win every time.
    negatives: boring to the extreme, every person in the game has no personality, they look boring with knockoff clothes from previous characters in the franchise, they even ACT boring and SOUND boring, most of the time they even sound like they only had one voice actor, its that bad and unmemorable, the maps look like flat pieces of barely painted paper, i'm not joking they literally look like flat pieces of paper. the mini map is useless, the maps feel and look barren which isn't helped by the games old school walk to encounter enemies system. the enemies themselves look very boring and generic, the shopping is a confusing mess-what happens is the enemy drops an item, you sell that item and get gold. sounds interesting? nope. you get so little gold that it would take a long time to actually buy something simple as a potion. the leveling/skills system itself is a mess- basically you upgrade via walking on a skills map, like a board game, however skills you would need, say sword for a melee character or magic for a magic user are at the other end of the AP map! and you can only move one space at a time so you can't even just select what you want. the AP requirements for the spaces on the upgrade map is also unbelievably high with most requiring high two or even three digits! this doesn't sound like a lot but you only get 1 AP per battle!for the whole game!!. the story is boring and unmemorable. its only positive point is the summons, who are all cool but brings me to my biggest downpoint, the whole games quest system for everything even the story IS A FETCH QUEST. nearly all of the missions in the game involve going to someplace or fetching something. even monkey quest(a ps1 game lauded for being a fetch quest game) did this better, this isn't some zelda like you must find this before you can advance no the game literally just tells you to go here and get that! or just go there if its feeling lazy! this wouldn't be so bad if there was some kind of transport system but save for one map there isn't! not a vehicle or chocobo in the whole game! you have to literally walk everywhere!the game itself is unfinishable as well. i don't mean unfinishable good like a free roamer, i mean unfinishable as its too long! i was playing for half a year and only got about half way through at most. with a busted gold system and busted AP leveling system this is the one and only game where i say cheating using an action replay or xploder cd or finding a glitch/bug is a requirement!and even then with it being boring to the extreme and unfinishable and not even requiring user input in battle would you even want to try playing this game? if it wasn't for the final fantasy name attached this game would get a lot more hate than it does, i mean its so bad its on par with superman 64/aquaman battle for Atlantis for title of worst game ever made.
  23. BenH
    Mar 11, 2010
    When I saw that this was the second highest rated FF on metacritic, I couldn't believe it. Its not that this game is bad (unlike the melodramatic dross that was FFX-2), it
  24. AkeemG.
    Jan 29, 2009
    This game is a disgrace to all of the other final fantasy games that came before,every thing about this game is just completly awfu! Ever since suare soft ceased to be the producer of final fantasy games and allowed Square Enix to take over every thing about Final Fantasy went straight down the F!%$@#G toilet.At first I thought that final fantasy X-2 was the worst...but I was F*&%$#@G This game is a disgrace to all of the other final fantasy games that came before,every thing about this game is just completly awfu! Ever since suare soft ceased to be the producer of final fantasy games and allowed Square Enix to take over every thing about Final Fantasy went straight down the F!%$@#G toilet.At first I thought that final fantasy X-2 was the worst...but I was F*&%$#@G wrong wasn't I.Final Fantasy X-2 was one of the worst Final Fantasy games ever made but it is still a million times better than Final Fantasy XIII.No one can ever deny that the best Final Fantasy games in the world were the ones produced by SQARE SOFT for the play station one.This game is so horrible that I am not even going to bother write a detailed review about it,all you need to know is to stay as far away from this game as possible and do not buy it because it is a waste of money. Expand
  25. BrandonN.
    Jul 23, 2008
    This game sucked and is probably the worst out of the other ones... first off turn based hello I don't wanna end up walking around and just clicking one button and watching a useless and boring combat system... SE I had high hopes for you but you created a piece of crap I hope FF13 is a huge improvement over this garbage
  26. RyanG.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Past all the nostalgia, this IS the definite Final Fantasy...or even RPG.
  27. EoghanR.
    Jan 9, 2007
    This game is best game I have ever played, it has amazing visuals. An excellent soundtrack and an utterly brilliant, well thought out story with really interesting characters and locations with the best Final Fantasy battle-system I have ever seen (I still love all Final Fantasy's though!) this has made Final Fantasy look like it should be. p.s. can't wait until Final Fantasy XIII.
  28. MatteoPais
    Feb 17, 2007
    A very revolution in Final Fantasy games.
  29. JamesN.
    Sep 6, 2007
    A definite breath of fresh air...after the drab repition of semi-futuristic Nomura worlds, FFXII brings back the exhiliration of a true adventure, much as IX did. Wonderful world, stunning visuals, very serious story (I loved it, so i wanted to see more of it! make a sequel to it SE, it could use more cut scenes!) and standout gameplay.
  30. ChristienL.
    Nov 1, 2006
    So far (about 5 hours into the game) this is an exceptional example of what an RPG can/should be on the PS2 (hell, it looks like it could belong as a launch title on the 360... the graphics are that pretty.) My main complaints all have to do with control & learning curve. The inability to change look inversion & the control for left/right is a bit irritating, especially since most other So far (about 5 hours into the game) this is an exceptional example of what an RPG can/should be on the PS2 (hell, it looks like it could belong as a launch title on the 360... the graphics are that pretty.) My main complaints all have to do with control & learning curve. The inability to change look inversion & the control for left/right is a bit irritating, especially since most other games allow this & it theoretically should have been an easy thing to put into the game. The learning curve is a bit much.. there's a lot of things to learn from licenses, gambits, "loot", etc.. just so many changes for FFX (I don't count FFX2 as a FF game.. it was that bad). Also the battles are much different. Even after all that though, a few hours in and I love it (minus the controls). The new battle system is fun & as soon as I figure out Gambits, I'm sure I'll love it even more. The only thing stopping a 10 is really the control & learning curve. Expand
  31. AntranikA.
    Nov 1, 2006
    This game is delicious! I love every moment of it thus far! Yes it takes a few moments to get used to. However, being a huge Final Fantasy fan since I was a little kid, this game is a welcome addition to the series, finally! Especially after FFX! You will NOT be dissapointed! Kefka would be proud!
  32. JohnT.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Just too much to say, the game is amazing and it is so easy to get side tracked from the main quest there is just so much to do. A must have.
  33. DanV.
    Nov 3, 2006
    So far this game is just amazing. The beginning movie was mindblowing. Everything is just sooo massive from the towns to the dungeons and the battle system is really cool once you get the hang of it. I even gotta kick out of dying. Trying attacking the T-Rex from behind when you first come across it and see what happens. I couldn't help, but crack up. (sry for the sidetracking, but So far this game is just amazing. The beginning movie was mindblowing. Everything is just sooo massive from the towns to the dungeons and the battle system is really cool once you get the hang of it. I even gotta kick out of dying. Trying attacking the T-Rex from behind when you first come across it and see what happens. I couldn't help, but crack up. (sry for the sidetracking, but it was pretty funny). so anyway get the game. you'll love it. Expand
  34. BrettF.
    Nov 6, 2006
    Square-Enix has successfully managed to create something that is far more than just a game. Final Fantasy XII is, without a doubt, a work of art, in much the same way that a painting, novel, or piece of music is a work of art. The fact that Square-Enix used a video game console as it's medium does nothing, in my opinion, to make their latest masterpiece any less than beautiful. Square-Enix has successfully managed to create something that is far more than just a game. Final Fantasy XII is, without a doubt, a work of art, in much the same way that a painting, novel, or piece of music is a work of art. The fact that Square-Enix used a video game console as it's medium does nothing, in my opinion, to make their latest masterpiece any less than beautiful. Anyone who thinks that video games can be nothing but mindless entertainment should spend some time with this game, as it is sure to convert them. Expand
  35. J.F.
    Nov 7, 2006
    About 27 hours of playtime in and I'm hooked. I can't remember the last time I was this enthralled by a console game. My poor PC is going to be lonely for a long time it seems. I'll admit I was a fan of FF X and this one puts it to shame. To shame I say! Graphically ( except maybe the cutscenes and summons) this game is far superior. The License system is like the sphere About 27 hours of playtime in and I'm hooked. I can't remember the last time I was this enthralled by a console game. My poor PC is going to be lonely for a long time it seems. I'll admit I was a fan of FF X and this one puts it to shame. To shame I say! Graphically ( except maybe the cutscenes and summons) this game is far superior. The License system is like the sphere grid but better. Exploration is open ended which is a huge advancement over many linear or "train track" style RPG's. It kind of reminds me of an offline MMORPG which is perfect. I played FFXI online and WoW and this is like having all the expansive content and immersive world without all the irritatating chatter and ninja drama. Love it! My only gripe against FFXII is probably that some of the most amazing gear ( e.g. Uber sword at beginning) is only reachable if you know secrets that could only be found in game guides. Kind of a bummer since I found out too late but that is a minor scratch on an otherwise flawless game. Sound 9/10 Graphics 9/10 Story 9/10 Battle System 10/10 ( Amazing!!!) Overall 93 % Expand
  36. AnonymousMC
    Oct 10, 2006
    i realy liked that game,it's the best game i see till now on ps2
    the graphic is fantastic and sounds too.and the story it's realy attractive,the charectares are awsome too .
    i would realy like to ask if there is a link how can i get the full story of the game, cause i wanna post it in my documents. i am realy obbsessed in video game specialy RPG game but unluckily i
    i realy liked that game,it's the best game i see till now on ps2

i would realy like to ask if there is a link how can i get the full
    story of the game, cause i wanna post it in my documents.
    i am realy obbsessed in video game specialy RPG game
    but unluckily i havent finish any RPG game befor,becasue i have no time to play the game for a long time.
    is there any solution for that u can advice me.
    thanks for reading my comments.
  37. StephenM.
    Dec 4, 2006
    While I will not claim the game to be perfect, and admit that some complaints are valid, this game is simply superb. I have been a fan of the FF series since the first NES game, and this is certainly of the 5 best FF games I have ever played. While I admit, in terms of story, FF3 can never be touched, everything else about this game is fun, fun, fun. Don't miss it. It is my belief While I will not claim the game to be perfect, and admit that some complaints are valid, this game is simply superb. I have been a fan of the FF series since the first NES game, and this is certainly of the 5 best FF games I have ever played. While I admit, in terms of story, FF3 can never be touched, everything else about this game is fun, fun, fun. Don't miss it. It is my belief that every user who complains about the battle system and the challenges of the game simply haven't played it enough, need to learn patience, and should stop playing RPG's. Expand
  38. Friky00
    Oct 31, 2006
    Incredible game, the final fantasy shines again as the best RPG series in videogame history, I feel the gameplay as a mix of Final Fantasy 6 and Knights of the the old republic, the sub quests, will keep you hooked for 100+ hours, Final Fantasy forever.
  39. AndrewC.
    Jan 10, 2007
    First off, I'd like to state something. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, especially for VI-X. The epic stories and great gameplay have always pulled me in very well. I also love it when developers mix up their series a bit. I admire that Square Enix is bold enough to do drastic new things in Final Fantasy XII. The problem is that it just isn't executed perfectly. The character First off, I'd like to state something. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, especially for VI-X. The epic stories and great gameplay have always pulled me in very well. I also love it when developers mix up their series a bit. I admire that Square Enix is bold enough to do drastic new things in Final Fantasy XII. The problem is that it just isn't executed perfectly. The character building takes too long to get into, and the gambit system is really tough to learn. Also, many of the environments are expansive and empty, aside from all the enemies. The graphics are artistic and interesting, but nothing all too special, which is a shocker when it comes to Final Fantasy. But most of all, it's just really hard to get in to. There's too many tough enemies, and it's too hard to get a hold of new equipment. Some serious tweaking and more direction to the player would have been nice. Really, though, Final Fantasy XII is still good. It just could have, and should have, been better. Expand
  40. JoeB.
    Oct 20, 2007
    This game is different to previous Final Fantasys, but amazing in its own right. Despite my worries, the gameplay is refreshing and more enjoyable overall than previous installments. The liscense and gambit systems work well. Sakimoto's music is good although not quite up to Nobuo's standards. The graphics are awesome for the PS2. The opening movie is phenomenal. The voice This game is different to previous Final Fantasys, but amazing in its own right. Despite my worries, the gameplay is refreshing and more enjoyable overall than previous installments. The liscense and gambit systems work well. Sakimoto's music is good although not quite up to Nobuo's standards. The graphics are awesome for the PS2. The opening movie is phenomenal. The voice acting is excellent as well, lending an eloquence ot Final Fantasy that has never been seen before. FFXII has sprawling environments and a fully controllable 360 degree camera which highlights the beauty of the world. However, its biggest weakness is its lack of cutscenes. The story is strong overall, with interesting political intrigue. Each character has their own motivations, and wills clash against each other in compelling ways. But there just isnt enough cutscenes to expand upon the story, which can leave you feeling as if each object is a bit pointless and that there is something missing. Its a big contrast from FFX. Persevere though and you'll find the experience rewarding. Final Fantasy XII is a regular gem of a game, which is definitely worth playing purely for its scope and replay value. Completing the game takes about 60 hours doing an average amount of sidequests. Not the best game ever, IMO (That goes to FFIX), but certainly in my top 5. Go buy it! Oh, and keep your eye out for Gilgamesh. He's a legend. Expand
  41. DavidJ.
    Jan 30, 2007
    If you look through the reviews, you'll notice that most negative ones are from people who never finished the game. Finish the game, you'll love it. It's a bit slow to pick up, but so was Final Fantasy 9, and it hardly "destroyed the Final Fantasy franchise". In the end, this is flat-out the most fun Final Fantasy to date.
  42. ArC.
    Jan 8, 2007
    This is the greatest game I ever played! I never got bored because there was so much to do all the time! The graphics were superb! I Love FF XII!! I wasn't disappointed in buying it. Even the Game Cover was nice.
  43. JimH.
    Feb 19, 2007
    This is my first FF game and I think the graphics and camera work *are* truly amazing, as is the story. I don't like the action, the 'pause and pick' aspect of this. It makes the play disjointed. But all in all this is really enjoyable to play with my young daughter. Many times we come across creatures and go "what the heck is that?!" Final Fantasy XII *is* fantastic.
  44. Mobius
    Feb 28, 2007
    I remember playing Final Fantasy VII all those years ago and remember how amazed i was back then and how I felt after completing it. After FF VII things when down hill, though good games none of the others gave me that feeling of Awe, so much so that i never felt compelled to complete FF8 & FF9, i got myself FFX and probly clocked 10 hours on it before i got bored and traded it in, i I remember playing Final Fantasy VII all those years ago and remember how amazed i was back then and how I felt after completing it. After FF VII things when down hill, though good games none of the others gave me that feeling of Awe, so much so that i never felt compelled to complete FF8 & FF9, i got myself FFX and probly clocked 10 hours on it before i got bored and traded it in, i never bothered with FFX-2. but something completed me to purchase FFXII on day of release even though I had not read anything about it or got caught up in any hype in fact the first i heard of FFXII was about a 2 weeks before its release. but upon loading up and being greeted by a impressive intro I entered the game and was very pleased with what i saw. the new combat system is great as getting into random battles every 6 steps in the previous games became very annoying, this time around I can see the enemy before I decide to fight. the graphics are fantastic with plenty of well written speech and facial expressions. For me playing FFXII is like playing FFVII for the first time all over again. I picked up the game on a Friday and by the Sunday I had already clocked up 19 hours of fun, I think this game may affect my relationship with the wife. Expand
  45. JamesB.
    Mar 16, 2007
    I have to say, this is the best FF game I've seen in a long time. I was really disappointed in FFX, and almost didn't get this game for fear it would be similar, but I'm glad I did. I love the new battle system and everything... I don't see why people say there's no strategy, though. Personally, I think this game takes more strategy than any other Final Fantasy I have to say, this is the best FF game I've seen in a long time. I was really disappointed in FFX, and almost didn't get this game for fear it would be similar, but I'm glad I did. I love the new battle system and everything... I don't see why people say there's no strategy, though. Personally, I think this game takes more strategy than any other Final Fantasy game. I can't think of a single flaw with this game. Expand
  46. LewisT.
    Apr 8, 2007
    I have not completed this game, which automatically makes my opinion less valid indeed, but I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy's 7 through X-2. Both 8 AND 10 rank in my top 5 favorite games of all time. I was almost reluctant to even purchase this game because I was frightened of this ruining such a grand and renowned series. But after such a small time in the game (around 10 I have not completed this game, which automatically makes my opinion less valid indeed, but I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy's 7 through X-2. Both 8 AND 10 rank in my top 5 favorite games of all time. I was almost reluctant to even purchase this game because I was frightened of this ruining such a grand and renowned series. But after such a small time in the game (around 10 hours) I'm as hooked as I was with all of the others. I mean, okay the character development isn't brilliant, and the story is certainly, rather baffling at times, but other than that it's more than impressive. The battle system will take any fan some time to get used to, but once you've overcome that, you can definitely appreciate it, and how important tactics are. I love the in-depth systems incorporated into the game, such as gambits and licenses. It makes the game more demanding, but more customizable, and ultimately more satisfying. The graphics as expected, rate amongst the best in the PS2 franchise, and I'm very impressed with the game thus far. And as far as I am concerned, the first few hours of the game are the most important. Expand
  47. LeroyS.
    Jun 6, 2007
    There is so much wrong with this game. The sript writers worked seperate from the the game directors.
  48. MikaL.
    Aug 20, 2007
    Awesom game indeed, FFXII: International Zodiac Job System brings more exciting stuff to already huge game. Job System, new items, new weapons and more! Best FF after FF7 and FFX.
  49. P.Starr
    Sep 2, 2007
    Mike G. had some interesting comments, until he cited VII and VIII as examples of the heights to which a game like this should aspire. VII and VIII are, to my mind, the worst examples of nonsensical plotting and incomprehensible character "development" in role-playing games around, and to suggest the writing and storyline in the vastly superior XII can be compared to those awful games and Mike G. had some interesting comments, until he cited VII and VIII as examples of the heights to which a game like this should aspire. VII and VIII are, to my mind, the worst examples of nonsensical plotting and incomprehensible character "development" in role-playing games around, and to suggest the writing and storyline in the vastly superior XII can be compared to those awful games and found lacking undermines his credibility as a gamer. These things are deeply subjective, but the reality is that I personally would have a very hard time going back to any other FF game after playing XII; I make that statement based on both the gameplay AND the story. Expand
  50. AnonymousMC
    Jan 24, 2009
    I played final fantasy tactics and no other final fantasy games. I was very impressed with this game for the first 20 hours or so, but then the monotony got to me. All you do is go to a new area, beat up everything, kill the boss and get new weapons. For all the strategies suggested online - throw them away! Just hit everything until it dies. In a word: boring.
  51. AnonymousMC
    Feb 7, 2009
    Excellent graphics, and the grid system adds a level of customization to characters. The world has very good looking and very varied looks. FFXII does a lot of things better than any JRPG before, however it is very lacking in the most important area: Story. The characters are uninteresting, unmotivated, and bizarrely uninvolved.
  52. CoryD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Well for starters I have all most every FF game out there on the market and got to say that this Is one of they best console FF games EVER. Love how there is a mix of all most all the ff's in this game, now only if you can play a Moogle knight that would ROCK Kupo. Love the moogles, thank you SQUARE ENIX I give you 2 thumbs up.
  53. JT
    Nov 13, 2006
    This is by far the most challenging, beautiful, and entertaining and thought provoking game I have ever experienced from any RPG manufacturer. And I have been playing video games since I was 3 years old and now am 24. I am pleased to see that they have different strategies to kill monsters by using the Gambit command, by setting up the right conifg. to kill monsters even faster. With the This is by far the most challenging, beautiful, and entertaining and thought provoking game I have ever experienced from any RPG manufacturer. And I have been playing video games since I was 3 years old and now am 24. I am pleased to see that they have different strategies to kill monsters by using the Gambit command, by setting up the right conifg. to kill monsters even faster. With the old Final Fantasies, you would just go beef up your characters and get the best of everything and not use the variety of spells, and special skills (or at least I didn't) to beat up monsters. This makes it a lot more thought provoking besides mashing X on your controller all day. The use of the FFXI battle system and the way monsters can be aggro'd to you is very challenging. I never died on FF 1~10 because of always getting the opprotunity to cure after a battle. Sometimes in this you may find yourself suprised and get clobbered by a monster linking with one that you already have on you! The maps on this game are just like FFXI, you must buy them to view the area, except in this case, if you investigate some areas without a map, it will draw it for you. Very nice so you dont get lost like in Vana'diel (FFXI) if you have no clue where to purchase one. Viewing this world is very beutiful, and give your right analog stick a whirl every now and then and look at the time and thought that they put into every detail. It is worth it just for the eye candy, even if you are in a dank dungeon, or a beutiful city. Cut scenes are once again, over the top in this game and is a nice thing to see and blends in with in game engine very well. Very long cut scenes, but as usual, the best in the business of RPG's. Why I have to give this game a 9 sadly is because of no two player control. Why is there no two player control? I thought it would of been like Secret of Mana from the old SNES console where you can hack and slash your way through enemies. I loved playing that game with friends and family because it's rare to have an RPG that two people can play. There was no sense in why it couldn't be two player and very dissapointing. I figured since it was using the FFXI battle System/engine that it would be simple enough. I guess I am deeply dissapointed in this because I won't be able to play along side my father of our favorite RPG of all time. No big deal though. We will just have to resort to who beat the game the fastest and gloating, instead of teaming up! And last but not least, times change, people change, and games change. This change was for the good of this great legacy of FF that I have been playing since Nintendo. People that don't like to read and learn about how to utilize the new structure will most likely be left in the dust and get frustrated about dying all the time and quit. Well if you don't like reading and learning, this isn't the game for you. For any open minded adventurer, this is it! This game we will look back five years ago and say "now that was ground breaking." Enjoy it as much as I have for the first 3 hours! LoL! Expand
  54. JohnO.
    Nov 2, 2006
    I can't believe how complete this game is! I'm left with no doubt that the wait was worth it. This is the first game where I actually went out of my way to explore. Not for some super weapon, or a side quest, but just because I wanted to see everything. And there is a LOT to see! Calling this game massive would be an understatement. Another improvement is of course, the battle I can't believe how complete this game is! I'm left with no doubt that the wait was worth it. This is the first game where I actually went out of my way to explore. Not for some super weapon, or a side quest, but just because I wanted to see everything. And there is a LOT to see! Calling this game massive would be an understatement. Another improvement is of course, the battle system. Now that there are no more random encounters, which made battles annoying, you are free to travel how you see fit. But the new battle system is so fun that you'll probably end up wanting to fight anything you come across. You might have heard that there is less story in this FF than in any previous. This is completely untrue. Everything you could want in an FF story is here. But now that the game is longer, the story is much more spread out. Also it's not as sentimental as previous entries. Instead the story is a lot more realistic, and mature. It's no longer about saving the world, and there isn't anymore teenage angst. The charecters are some of the most interesting to appear in a game, (especially Balthier, who's kind of a mix of Indiana jones, and James Bond. Hilarious.) Don't let the slow begginning put you off. Also don't be afraid of change. That's my only advice for enjoying this game. Expand
  55. Wookie
    Nov 6, 2006
    This game rocks. Disclaimer--I'm not done with it yet, I'm 30 hours in. The new battle system is genius. You can program character behavior to do just about anything. For example, you can set your main healer to cast Cure any time a party member drops below 70% HP. That's easy though--how about setting your secondary healer to cast Cura (area of effect group heal) when This game rocks. Disclaimer--I'm not done with it yet, I'm 30 hours in. The new battle system is genius. You can program character behavior to do just about anything. For example, you can set your main healer to cast Cure any time a party member drops below 70% HP. That's easy though--how about setting your secondary healer to cast Cura (area of effect group heal) when anyone drops below 30%? Try setting all members to prioritize killing any enemy with a critical level of HP, or make your Black Mage cast the AOE Dark spell by default. It's a micro-managing RPG player's dream. I used to be a turn-based combat diehard, but FFXII has totally changed my mind. I loved the ability to customize your turn based combat, but eventually, I began to sleepwalk through the battles. "Attack, attack, attack, cast Hastega." And again, "attack, attack, attack, cast Firaga." Now, you literally walk through battles, watching your characters carry out orders. Tweak away their performance to your heart's content--I find myself using spells and abilities in FFXII that I never used in any of the prior series. Have fun! Expand
  56. SandyY.
    Dec 5, 2006
    I have been playing the game for hours and it definitely looks like I am addicted . The game has great graphics and its hard to tell the cutscenes from the movies . Has an ultra-addictive battle system , beautiful chracters but I gave it a nine because it lacks in the character development department and you hardly feel connected. Still love it a lot.
  57. NaelMZM
    Oct 31, 2006
    what an amazing game! I can't wait to leave the work everyday to start playing & leveling up, i don't sleep much these days and you all know why, lol nice caracters, amazing beasts, lovely world, very good new game play & Great game!! thank you Square-Enix again for this & I cant wait for FF XIII.
  58. Biggles
    Oct 31, 2006
    They fixed what we thought wasn't broken and showed us how broken it really was in doing so. An absolutely fantastic game, and an epic 100+ hour adventure. Coming from a long-time fa of the series, this is a well-deserved 10/10 and a breath of fresh air for both the genre and the series.
  59. EricA.
    Oct 30, 2006
    There is something just grand to this new approach to Final Fantasy. In every way that FFX-2 failed, FFXII succeeds and more. The story is in top form, characters are detailed and interesting (yet still a little angsty for me in typical Final Fantasy tradition), and the big payoff, the Summons, are AMAZING. Restated, AAAAAMAZING! Ahem. Good stuff. Love it.
  60. GregG.
    Jan 12, 2007
    Very good game. The graphics in the cut-scenes and during gameplay are amazing. The battle system takes a little getting used to, but the change is refreshing. The only shortcoming of this game, to me at least, was that the voice acting did not match the images at all. But other than that, this game is great, even comparable to classics like FF7 or FFX.
  61. JackC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Stop whining about something you don't like, it won't make it better. To those who haven't tried it yet, do it. You may like it, you may not. It's an acquired taste.
  62. Andrew
    Feb 21, 2007
    Too many people knock this game for being just what it is - a bold, new direction for the series. As a longtime Final Fantasy fan, I was thrilled to be rid of ridiculous amounts of annoying random battles, and hopefully they are gone for good. The rest of this game is certainly worthy of being called a Final Fantasy game (epic storyline, enjoyable character, massively destructive battles). Enjoy.
  63. Barry
    Feb 26, 2007
    Best game on PS2, this year at the least. Even more so than Okami. Battle system is perfect, graphics are the best on PS2 and the size of the map is just awesomely huge. It's a different experience for FF fans. Amazing.
  64. Mithyus
    Mar 25, 2007
    Although Final Fantasy XII strays a bit off the path that has credited the series it's notoriety, it is nevertheless a great gaming experience.
  65. GDawoo
    Apr 16, 2008
    The gameplay is very boring. If you're playing the game right, how it wants you to, you're not doing anything but watching your characters. A huge dissappointment.
  66. LukeD.
    Jun 6, 2008
    This game was just terrible. Simple. There is no awesome nemesis, no interesting main character (ok, Vaan is the main character but he's just not memorable or has anything about him remotely... interesting), and no involving storyline. The rest of the final fantasy series has always been original, involving and epic, but this seemed to go for epic and ignore the rest. I must admit i This game was just terrible. Simple. There is no awesome nemesis, no interesting main character (ok, Vaan is the main character but he's just not memorable or has anything about him remotely... interesting), and no involving storyline. The rest of the final fantasy series has always been original, involving and epic, but this seemed to go for epic and ignore the rest. I must admit i gave up after about 14 hours of gameplay because it just wasn't fun. If by 14 hours your playing a game that just seems a chore, thats a pretty strong singla your wasting your time. It's got good graphics though, which is pretty much the only benefit. One more thing! You get all the characters so early, there just doesn't seem anything to work for. I don't get what Square Enix was doing making this, it was embarrasing. Expand
  67. ThomasG.W.3
    Sep 25, 2008
    Maybe now that the undeserving hype has died down, we can start seeing some realistic reviews on this crap game - I mean even the producer offered an apology for the nearly non-existent story, citing development time constraints! If a bunch of static, uninteresting characters standing around shouting their first, middle, and last names at each other repeatedly is your idea of "epic" Maybe now that the undeserving hype has died down, we can start seeing some realistic reviews on this crap game - I mean even the producer offered an apology for the nearly non-existent story, citing development time constraints! If a bunch of static, uninteresting characters standing around shouting their first, middle, and last names at each other repeatedly is your idea of "epic" writing, then FFXII is the game for you. If, however, you're not a Squeenix zombie and actually have a brain in your head, then stay far, far away from this RPG beta. Epic...right. A dead person could have written a better story. Expand
  68. RanFast
    Apr 27, 2009
    To be perfectly frank, if this WASN'T a Final Fantasy title, I wouldn't have rated it so low. Bearing the name Final Fantasy comes with a lot of responsibility... responsibilities this game just couldn't shoulder. It tried to stray too far from the classic Final Fantasy form and I felt alienated and bewildered. The story is convoluted and terrible. None of the characters, To be perfectly frank, if this WASN'T a Final Fantasy title, I wouldn't have rated it so low. Bearing the name Final Fantasy comes with a lot of responsibility... responsibilities this game just couldn't shoulder. It tried to stray too far from the classic Final Fantasy form and I felt alienated and bewildered. The story is convoluted and terrible. None of the characters, try as I might, were likable in the slightest. The battles are engaging and exciting for a time, but I felt bogged down by the gambit customizing and, 40 hours in I had already maxed my favorite characters out to the point where they were literally carbon copies of each other. The graphics, however, are absolutely incredible. Square definitely outdid themselves in that regard. But I'm glad to see that Square wised up and took XII as a lesson on what NOT to keep producing for the Final Fantasy franchise. This would have been a pretty decent game, if it weren't for the Final Fantasy title it so wrongfully holds. Expand
  69. DanV
    Nov 28, 2009
    Great first impression with great visuals and audio and a higher action combat system, but the excessive time consuming gameplay makes it somewhat of a bore. My initial play tried to take on all the side quests and other optional tasks and I seemed to have trekked all over the place. Explorer-like behavior was rewarded with treasures in urns and chests, but this brought out a glaring Great first impression with great visuals and audio and a higher action combat system, but the excessive time consuming gameplay makes it somewhat of a bore. My initial play tried to take on all the side quests and other optional tasks and I seemed to have trekked all over the place. Explorer-like behavior was rewarded with treasures in urns and chests, but this brought out a glaring peeve of mine... fixed loot tables with randomized/percentage based drop rates. OMG I hate that system so much ever since I tried WoW. Expand
  70. Oct 3, 2010
    This game starts off slow then after a while you get used to the controls and combat and for a while I was even having some fun but that doesn't last long. This game marks the first Final Fantasy I could not play to the end and I think this is a good indicator as to when SE started to lose their quality in RPG making.
  71. Jun 29, 2011
    Lots of potential, little follow through. So many missed opportunities for greatness. The problem is that this game had a great set up and the first 20 hours are packed with intrigue and excitement, then after that first 20 hours it simply falls off, and settles into this grindy MMO feel. You'll be traversing miles of game world killing random mobs with little effort for 10 hours at aLots of potential, little follow through. So many missed opportunities for greatness. The problem is that this game had a great set up and the first 20 hours are packed with intrigue and excitement, then after that first 20 hours it simply falls off, and settles into this grindy MMO feel. You'll be traversing miles of game world killing random mobs with little effort for 10 hours at a time, or so it feels. It's tedious.

The combat system is in some ways brilliant but at other times cripples the game because it will simply play itself with little to no attention from the player. I think a difficulty overhaul would have done wonders, because the game is fun when you have to actually think about what you're doing with your Gambits and such, but for the most part it's just on auto-pilot. Sadly, the game really doesn't offer much past the first 20 hours, and I can't really recommend it to anyone. It also has one of the worst endings in Final Fantasy history, mostly because it comes out nowhere, but that could mostly be attributed to the awful storyline which never really gets you to care about anything, but that's no surprise when you're randomly running around a massive world mindlessly grinding on mobs.

A true shame really. What could have been...
  72. Sep 3, 2011
    FFXII is a step in the right direction. Its the most dynamic Final Fantasy to date, which can make it good or bad depending on how you play it. If you have to do alot of grinding then you are not using all of the tools available correctly.
  73. Oct 6, 2011
    Not necessarily a bad game, if you can ignore the fact that the game has a hard time deciding who we should care about, in terms of the story. That is to say that Vaan was dead weight. The gameplay was surprisingly addicting though. As a dungeon-crawler, it's a really enjoyable experience advancing through the many beautifully-rendered levels, battling all of these amazing creatures inNot necessarily a bad game, if you can ignore the fact that the game has a hard time deciding who we should care about, in terms of the story. That is to say that Vaan was dead weight. The gameplay was surprisingly addicting though. As a dungeon-crawler, it's a really enjoyable experience advancing through the many beautifully-rendered levels, battling all of these amazing creatures in real-time. I certainly think that on a technical level it pushed the PS2 to its limit. Technicalities aside, Final Fantasy XII is like any other Final Fantasy: a new story, battle system, music etc. It just so happens to be a "western" RPG. Not the kind of change I was expecting to see. Expand
  74. Oct 7, 2013
    EVERY single character in FF12 is bland and boring, the most important characters are actually the worst ones and the least developed. You don't really get to learn much about any character's life or history and you never really care about them. There are very few NPCs to interact with and even they don't have anything good to say. Most areas are really boring because there is nothingEVERY single character in FF12 is bland and boring, the most important characters are actually the worst ones and the least developed. You don't really get to learn much about any character's life or history and you never really care about them. There are very few NPCs to interact with and even they don't have anything good to say. Most areas are really boring because there is nothing interesting in these areas and most of the game is just fighting your way through some boring enemies and when you actually get to the point where it seems like the game might actually provide something substantial story-wise, you get dirt thrown in your face, a cut-scene where nobody says anything. When you level up, you just level up, woopdeedoo. The final boss is a piece of cake. There is zero memorable about FF12 except the lovely sun in one area and Penelo's face. Expand
  75. Mar 20, 2012
    This is not a Final Fantasy game. It´s a Star Wars game. The history is bored and slow. FFXII has good graphical, good music and the game play is entertained. As adventure, it is a great game, but as Final Fantasy not.
  76. Mar 27, 2014
    Final Fantasy XII is a rather innovative title in the long-running series, but not a very good game. There is less user involvement in battles, and the game has questionable design decisions, such as not being able to obtain the strongest weapon due to your looting random chests earlier in the game. The biggest problem with FF XII is the inconsistent pacing. At times the story moves farFinal Fantasy XII is a rather innovative title in the long-running series, but not a very good game. There is less user involvement in battles, and the game has questionable design decisions, such as not being able to obtain the strongest weapon due to your looting random chests earlier in the game. The biggest problem with FF XII is the inconsistent pacing. At times the story moves far too quickly, at times it moves like molasses. Worst, the dialogue has no depth. We're told and shown how unfortunate the characters are, but we don't really feel for any of them. Further, there are also two completely unnecessary characters on the roster, and those characters take up way too much of the story.

Commendable for changing the stale FF formula; it's a shame the game is awful.
  77. Oct 25, 2013
    I am a Final Fantasy fanboy and maybe cause of that I didn't like this game at all...
    The Combat system with the Gambit makes the game too easy. you don't even play anymore you just enter the battle and watch the fight, boss after boss, after boss. Van and Penelo is annoying characters and Square enix should have goe with thier first idéa of never creating them and having Basch as a main character along with Balthier. instead of copy-pasting the both annoying immature chars that are only in the way and trying to make the game a little "funny" for kids.
    The story is perfect. Love that I can finally come back to Ivalice and now I'm preparing for another war.
    As I started the game I really thought and hoped for playing as Basch insteand I end up with some pre-puberty, wannabe sky pirate called Vaan, who's somehow always saying wrong things at the wrong moments but still tryies to be that *I belive* hero. and sure it works but id doesen't fit in the script considering he is as I said earlier a copy-paste character.
    So if you can outstand him. I'm glad that you don't have to play him. /Thank god for that) you will enjoy the enviorment, the story and the music. that's the 3 points I give for this game.
  78. May 15, 2013
    Boring !
    Playing a game without having to fight is just frustrating The gambit system does everything, you just have to chose your path The Star Wars influence is just too important the music, the creature, ....
    Well, I don't want to play a star wars game (or I'll get one I want to play a FF game, and by play I mean PLAY Not just lead the characters
  79. Jun 26, 2013
    As someone who has played every numbered release of the final fantasy franchise I can easily say this is the worst and the only one that I truly hate. The story is ok, the cutscenes are amazing for a playstation 2 game, but the battle system makes this game unplayable. There are simply no words to describe how truly awful the battle mechanics are.
  80. Jul 18, 2013
    Simply put, this game just leaves you wanting while scratching your head at the end. Starts off great and the combat system was innovative (though annoying after awhile). Story is great in the beginning then just kinda falls flat.
  81. Sep 16, 2013
    2 hours into the game and I am scratching my head, the story has potential but the execution is seriously bad. The combat system is awful, why fix something that isn't broken
  82. Oct 30, 2014
    Well, if nothing else I thank this game for convincing me to check out of the Final Fantasy series before 13 rolled around. Not sure I could have put up with that.

First, I will say that this game finally allowed combat to happen in the same place as the real wold, so that was a major plus. As well, all of the main characters were reasonable and generally pleasant enough to have around.

It just had one major crippling problem: It made no sense for the characters to be together. Let me clarify, the characters worked in teams of two, and in that they made sense; there was the main character and his childhood friend, the pirate and his partner, and the princess and her knight. In pairs, they made sense. The only glue supposedly holding the group together though was the main character being a massive fanboy.

The main character left such a big impression on me I've totally forgotten his name and can't be bothered to look it up. I never used him anyway, he was totally forgettable and utterly pointless to the story. His friend had slightly more personality but was just as pointless to the story. The only reason I can think of for his existence is an "everyman" but Final Fantasy games are terrible at those, and it shows. Ashe should have been the main character; it focused mainly on her story anyway, so what was the point of splitting the focus to some kid spasticaly flailing around?

Then there was the combat. The lone gold star for keeping it in world rather than being a potential fever dream is immediately taken away by the obnoxious design and flow. Combat comes way to often, but thankfully leaves just as quickly most of the time. I never had any trouble except with a few random boss fights. The thing is, those boss fights are often on you just as quickly as the randoms, and there usually isn't time to react or coordinate actions, so you're at the mercy of the auto-battle system. That isn't as bad as it sounds most of the time, since it will handle 95% of battles better than you could, but I found many bosses wrecked my **** and I had no idea what to do since my net interaction with fights up to that point was to move the left analog stick around until the battle started, then wait, then move it some more when it was over. When I fought a damn T-Rex I lost 3 characters early on just because I'd forgotten how to pause and issue orders, which left me with the 3 back-ups I hadn't bothered to train up. That was with grinding, by the way; I had a late night job so I would go and grind while trying to fall asleep on the couch after getting home. I can't count that against the game too much, but I can complain about getting insta-killed a few times despite being over-leveled. The combat is just inconsistent, silly, mostly pointless, and way too frequent.

If you want a good JRPG, play FF 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10; give this one a pass.
  83. Dec 27, 2014
    Grewing up on games like Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana, Lufia, Suikoden, Chrono Trigger and so on, this game leaves you with sadness. Sadness in what the JRPG genre has become.

Me, and many with me, love the combat system that defined the JRPG genre, the Turn Based Combat, or later upgraded form Active Time Combat. Those 2 combatsystems gave you more control of your

Those 2 combatsystems gave you more control of your characters and gave you a more strategic combat, beeing able to counter enemies attacks and figuring out the patterns of your enemies.

FFXII started a new era that have taken the FF series in a wrong direction, it was the starting point of the more westernized hack and slash direction.

The story is very bland and uninteresting. The characters are even more about fancy clothes.
    Vaan is a bad copy of Tidus but if possible, even more uninteresting and annoying.
    Most other characters looks their taken out of any boyband.

Removing the traditional combatsystem, total lack of elements like open world, airship and minigames and uninteresting story and characters, gives this game a 3.5*
  84. AnonymousMC
    May 21, 2006
    Its a very enjoyable game, colorfull and imaginetive as final fantasy games always, the reel time combat system is prety good but also very slow and lags the tactical aspects of previus games in the series. oh and of course its very text heavy so wait for the US version unless u can understand japenese.
  85. BobbyJ.
    Feb 6, 2007
    Though the gameplay is enjoyable, I found the story the least engaging so far in the series. The main character has little involvement in the events that happen around him, and the rest of the characters' backstories are contrived and sentimental. Many rare items depend not on your ability to hunt for them, but on arbitrary probabilities. You could potentially go through the game Though the gameplay is enjoyable, I found the story the least engaging so far in the series. The main character has little involvement in the events that happen around him, and the rest of the characters' backstories are contrived and sentimental. Many rare items depend not on your ability to hunt for them, but on arbitrary probabilities. You could potentially go through the game and, because certain items appear only 5% of the time in a given treasure chest, be without any interesting weapons. Thorough completion of tasks also offers little reward. Expand
  86. MannyF.
    Mar 27, 2007
    For those of you with good taste and patience, prepare to play the best RPG ever made. To the others... don't bother, I can't stand the thought of another ignorant negative review of this game on here. THIS IS FINAL FANTASY! Period.
  87. JoeM.
    May 15, 2007
    Did I hear someone talking about a bad camera angle - did they fail to notice that the camera angle can be adjusted throughout with the right analogue stick depending on where you want to look? Even if this game did have a bad camera angle (which it doesn't) that isn't enough justification to give it a 0/10. Now i'm going to justify why it deserves 10/10 - superb graphics Did I hear someone talking about a bad camera angle - did they fail to notice that the camera angle can be adjusted throughout with the right analogue stick depending on where you want to look? Even if this game did have a bad camera angle (which it doesn't) that isn't enough justification to give it a 0/10. Now i'm going to justify why it deserves 10/10 - superb graphics with a massive expansive world, great characters and voice acting, a beautiful musical score, fun and strategic battles, loads of sidequests and a long game meaning you can spend over 100 hours on it and an immersive story. Seriously though, what more could you want from an RPG? I challenge anyone to suggest, and even if they do come up with something, Squaresoft will probably right these wrongs in thier next spellbinding installment to this deservedly long running series. In other words, yep, they've done it again. Well actually, not only that, but this is the best of the lot since number 7, and that's a big claim but it really is an outstanding game and comes with my highest reccomendation. Expand
  88. Sciros
    May 21, 2007
    An amazing game through-and-through. Visually impressive in every way. The sheer number of detailed facades, monsters, items, and characters in the game gave me a great respect for the designers and artists, who are the without question at the top of their field. The music is epic and comples, and it gives the game a unique mood. The combat system is an improved version of KOTOR's An amazing game through-and-through. Visually impressive in every way. The sheer number of detailed facades, monsters, items, and characters in the game gave me a great respect for the designers and artists, who are the without question at the top of their field. The music is epic and comples, and it gives the game a unique mood. The combat system is an improved version of KOTOR's (which was a 3-D adaptation of the Baldur's Gate system). In other words, it takes some adjustment at first but once you get the hang of it it's amazing. The Gambit system gives you the option of being as active or inactive during the battle as you prefer. The story is actually GOOD; I am not sure why people claim it has no story. Not only did the writers put effort into the plot, but the dialogue is top-notch and the voice acting (in the US release, at least) is the best I have ever heard in a game. In my mind Gideon Emery's Balthier stands out as the most perfectly executed character in games, period. Altogether, FFXII is a must-play and deserves every bit of praise. The only shortcoming: leveling takes a long time so if one wants to fully explore the entire game and all sidequests, it will take some real patience. But the fact that the game even *has* so *many* high-level sidequests is astounding, and far more than one should be used to expecting from a single game. In every way, it goes above and beyond what is typical. Expand
  89. Patrick
    Jun 24, 2007
    (This Review Subject to Change - this is initial thoughts) Beautiful game, great CG, etc. etc. etc... but WOW is there a sharp learning curve. With -so many- changes to the 'Standard FF Formula', it definitely would've been handy to have more time to actually get used to it before being thrown into the deep end of the pool so soon. I'm only 9 1/2 hours in, and (This Review Subject to Change - this is initial thoughts) Beautiful game, great CG, etc. etc. etc... but WOW is there a sharp learning curve. With -so many- changes to the 'Standard FF Formula', it definitely would've been handy to have more time to actually get used to it before being thrown into the deep end of the pool so soon. I'm only 9 1/2 hours in, and I've had to stop and reload -several- times already due to frustration, and I've been playing since VII. Vaan is also the -least- charismatic 'lead' in the franchise to date; it seems to me it would have made more sense to let Ashe actually be the Lead, she seems at this point to be the one the story is actually ABOUT. Expand
  90. Dr.Avery
    Jun 24, 2007
    In a single word? Epic. Squaresoft's flagship series has finally returned to its roots -- rejecting the insipid, childish plot and dialog which plagued IX, X and X-2. Instead of dumbing it down for the youngsters, the story and speech have been elevated to an almost shakespearian bearing. A most refreshing change of pace from the usual condescending puerile drivel we are usually fed In a single word? Epic. Squaresoft's flagship series has finally returned to its roots -- rejecting the insipid, childish plot and dialog which plagued IX, X and X-2. Instead of dumbing it down for the youngsters, the story and speech have been elevated to an almost shakespearian bearing. A most refreshing change of pace from the usual condescending puerile drivel we are usually fed as gamers. The gameplay could have been a bit more complex and customizable (as with VII or VIII), but the graphics, and overall style puts this game in a class of it's own. A class which will likely remain the sole domain of FF XII until the fourteenth installment of the series is released (the thirteenth will, no doubt, be rushed through development too quickly to be any good) The architecture is particularly noteworthy. The tombs and ancient places of this game seem to have come forth from the wildest dreams of the engineers of ancient Egypt -- What might have been built if they had an army of 1000 foot tall men to do their work. Your enjoyment of this game will depend largely on your level of education. School-age children and semi-literate adults, are likely going to struggle to keep up with the shades of meaning hidden behind some very obfuscatory and stylized language. However, those with a mastery of the English language are in for one of the best plots to be found in any media. Expand
  91. AVideoGameCritic
    Jun 5, 2007
    Unfortunately, the excellent gameplay and fantastic graphics and art direction are ruined by a horribly under-developed story and characters, an over-abundance of tedious, time-consuming dungeons, and the fact that you have to go hours between cutscenes. A gigantic step back from Final Fantasy IX and X and it's really unfortunate that we've had to wait 5 years for this disappointment.
  92. MikeG.
    Jul 17, 2007
    Let me tell you, contrary to what Mr 'Avery' says, the story is utter bilge, and in itself barely 'semi-literate'. The transparent pseudo-intellect of certain characters is particularly annoying, forced and unrealistic, and knowledge of the 'English language' (and in particular articles of LITERATURE) will only show the player how far videogames have to go Let me tell you, contrary to what Mr 'Avery' says, the story is utter bilge, and in itself barely 'semi-literate'. The transparent pseudo-intellect of certain characters is particularly annoying, forced and unrealistic, and knowledge of the 'English language' (and in particular articles of LITERATURE) will only show the player how far videogames have to go before they even approximate the quality of plot to be found in the average fairly well-written book. That said, the game is engrossing. It retains the same addictive gameplay and high production values that characterise the series, and the battle system, though initially tedious, eventually becomes second-nature. The graphics are technically excellent but not as artistically inspired as titles such as Okami, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, the PS2's artistic flagbearers. Overall the game is good but I'm starting to wonder if they'll ever come remotely close to topping VII or VIII. Expand
  93. Angelbane
    Jul 22, 2007
    Anyone who gave this game a 6 or less can go throw all their videogames out and start reading a good book. If you don't like the camera angles, the story, or the battle system I'm sorry to say, but your thought stray not far from incompetence. Simply put: Smart people made it so the stupid won't play it. Sometimes harsh words are the simplest to understand. If you really Anyone who gave this game a 6 or less can go throw all their videogames out and start reading a good book. If you don't like the camera angles, the story, or the battle system I'm sorry to say, but your thought stray not far from incompetence. Simply put: Smart people made it so the stupid won't play it. Sometimes harsh words are the simplest to understand. If you really can't keep up with the greatness of a game like this then you've seriously not been going to school or something, because to the more educated I'm sure the features were very simple. Square, please don't listen to any review thats 6 or less because honestly I think you're doing great. If Square people really are reading this don't rush into FF13 because of the hype. Make sure that the story is as solid as FF12 and just as entertaining. I could play FF12 over 100 times... You know what? I think I will. Can't wait for 13 and 14. Like I said though, there might be a problem if FF13 is rushed. Keep it real Square Enix, keep it real. Expand
  94. FFFan
    Aug 9, 2007
    I give this game a ten on pure entertainment value. I don't always have the time to play, but when I do I can play for a few hours and even though I don't get alot of gameplay done it is still great. The only beef I have with the game is the way the enemies jump up in level so fast. I have needed to spend alot of time running around leveling up to get further. Other than this, I give this game a ten on pure entertainment value. I don't always have the time to play, but when I do I can play for a few hours and even though I don't get alot of gameplay done it is still great. The only beef I have with the game is the way the enemies jump up in level so fast. I have needed to spend alot of time running around leveling up to get further. Other than this, FFXII is the greatest game that I have ever played. Graphics are awesome, surround sound for the sound is fantastic, and the story is sweet. I hope that Square will come out with a sequel that is PS2 or PS3 playable, not just Nintendo DS. Though I will buy that one too. Expand
  95. SophieB.
    Sep 22, 2007
    A very enjoyable game and with interesting new changes for the Final Fantasy series, but unfortunately I do not like the new battle system, and in my opinion neither the characters or storyline are as appealing - and I don't enjoy it as much as the others. A solid game, one of the better games of the year, breathtaking graphics and can be quite fun - but not as good as the previous A very enjoyable game and with interesting new changes for the Final Fantasy series, but unfortunately I do not like the new battle system, and in my opinion neither the characters or storyline are as appealing - and I don't enjoy it as much as the others. A solid game, one of the better games of the year, breathtaking graphics and can be quite fun - but not as good as the previous Final Fantasys. Expand
  96. DawnaV.
    Feb 29, 2008
    Despite illustrious graphics and beautifully rendered cut-scenes, this game somehow felt...empty to me. Granted, there are a choice few characters that manage to shine through the monotony of endless dungeons and complicated plot ramblings: Ashe, Fran & Balthier being the only ones I personally found significant. And true, the translation was magnificently done with words bordering on Despite illustrious graphics and beautifully rendered cut-scenes, this game somehow felt...empty to me. Granted, there are a choice few characters that manage to shine through the monotony of endless dungeons and complicated plot ramblings: Ashe, Fran & Balthier being the only ones I personally found significant. And true, the translation was magnificently done with words bordering on poetic due to one of the most well-translated RPGs yet Expand
  97. DemonC.
    Apr 15, 2008
    Good game with very nice visuals, and a great musical score. Battle system is nicely done, I prefer the old school turn based battle system though. Side quests, especially the hunts get tedious with the time, no real variety. Also prepare for long travels on foot. All in all still a very good RPG.
  98. AnonymousMC
    May 5, 2008
    The visuals were top of the line 10/10 considering the low poly count. I've never seen textures painted so well in my life.
    The score was forgettable and dissapointing, possibly because Uematsu wasn't there.

Combat system was a great change although I found it less "epic" than the previous style combat in past FF's also the repetitve "hacking" made the fighting look stupid.
    Storyline wasn't that interesting, and characters weren't that great or deep.

The licence board was dissapointing because it was nowhere near big enough.
    Sidequests had the typical flaw of Square, without a strategy guide or the internet you would never find out half the sidequests existed.

Although there's alot of flaws, the game is definately worth buying and is enjoyable, although I don't think I'll be replaying this game annually like I do with FF7 and 8.

jiyasa@hotmail.com
  99. ArielK
    Nov 6, 2009
    I had a terrible experience with this game. About an hour into playing, I put the controller down. I couldn't bring myself to play anymore. Did you ever read Eragon? I thought the same thing as I did when I read that book - why the hell bother? It's one of those LotR facsimiles with the bizarre name scheme that's overly reminiscent of Celtic and English folklore. It's I had a terrible experience with this game. About an hour into playing, I put the controller down. I couldn't bring myself to play anymore. Did you ever read Eragon? I thought the same thing as I did when I read that book - why the hell bother? It's one of those LotR facsimiles with the bizarre name scheme that's overly reminiscent of Celtic and English folklore. It's everything I hoped Final Fantasy would not become - a stereotype of the fantasy genre with a male stripper as the lead character. Of course, Vaan isn't really a stripper. That's just the first thing I thought of as he walked around with a few buckles for a shirt, proclaiming "Someday, I wanna be a sky pirate!" No set of characters lacked so much depth since Final Fantasy I. Yes, I played FFI. The story seems obvious from the first hour of gameplay. You are a resistance faction fighting against two warring kingdoms squashing out the little guy. No matter what you add to it, no matter what debauchery the characters engage in, the plot is that basic. No plot twists, no huge discovery that you've been fighting for the wrong cause. The overarching plot, and motive of the villains - whoever they may be - is obvious from the first level. Also, I like English people, but does every frigging government official and soldier have to have an English accent? It screams LotR ripoff. Cough cough, Eragon. Now I didn't totally hate this game. Besides its plot being about as interesting as overcooked white meat, the game does have its merits. For the first time (for a single player FF) the ATB system has been dropped in favor of an all-out melee approach. This is a welcome and refreshing new way of gameplay. Sure, it could be refined, but as a foray into a little-tested system, executes well. The graphics are gorgeous. I am honestly impressed with SE's work with the graphics. However, it's not like they outdid themselves. Final Fantasy has a history of gorgeous scenery, and if you pay attention to all the field maps, you'll realize you often are walking through a barren terrain with some features and a unique skyline. Good, but a little repetitive. The music is also repetitive - but tends to complement the game appropriately. No epic scores here, certainly nothing the likes of One Winged Angel or even Eyes on Me, but it's good enough to keep the sound on the whole time and whistle to while you gain LPs. Overall, I was disappointed by this game. It had introduced some firsts, and unique systems, but all of that just wasn't enough, for me, to overlap the absurdly lacking plot. I wish that in the future, SE writes up a fantastical, unique world like Midgar or Spira, not this bland copy of Middle Earth. Overall, 5 / 10. Expand
  100. JohnT
    Feb 23, 2009
    How did this game get such a high rating??? I saw one dude mention that this was the best game in the series; are you freakin kidding me? Look, if you're looking for a graphics intensive game then this one is "O.K.". If you're an actual RPG fan then chances are you expect a little more story line; which was total garbage. The game plays nothing like the previous games in the How did this game get such a high rating??? I saw one dude mention that this was the best game in the series; are you freakin kidding me? Look, if you're looking for a graphics intensive game then this one is "O.K.". If you're an actual RPG fan then chances are you expect a little more story line; which was total garbage. The game plays nothing like the previous games in the series. Try to imagine a MMORPG, now imagine playing it by yourself. That's the exact same experience you'll get out of this; Square Enix put so much into making this into a single player FF11(also trash!). 10 was a good game, 9 was ok(opinions vary), 8 was pretty damn good and 7 was amazing(the absolute best; hands down), Tactics was freakin great. This game; was a piece of shit. Nuff said. Expand

1. The story soars, but not so often. The dungeons are long and meandering. The gameplay is effective, but not engrossing. It's a staggeringly well-made game that throws more at you than any other RPG on the PS2... but well-made doesn't necessarily mean "fun."
  2. This is absolutely my favorite Final Fantasy title, a claim I probably would have laughed at two years ago when rumors about the game’s battle system began to circulate.
  3. One of those rare games that can be appreciated by both hardcore and casual fans alike, Final Fantasy XII may very well be Square's last great adventure, and a fitting sendoff, for the PlayStation 2.