7.8

1. Oct 5, 2010
    This is the best final fantasy in almost every aspect, its even artistically superior to XIII, however its not the best overall, because the story and characters plays a fundamental role in Final Fantasy and this entry fails in that department, there is a lack of side quest and minigames that not involves kill monsters, and sidequest that add pieces to the story.

The music is good but not

The music is good but not the most memorable. the battle system is great , funniest grinding ever in a final fantasy, the character customization system is good enough but could be better
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    The best game of my gamer life. Final Fantasy XII has a rich world, amazing party and beautiful graphics. Haters gonna hater but the majority liked this game. Just look at 92/100 and 77/100 on user score.
  3. Jul 14, 2012
    Another miss-score Final Fantasy XII is awesome and done the best out of all FF titles on PS2 for its epic story and FMV's which help immerse players into the game
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    By far my favorite of the "modern" (PS2/PS3) Final Fantasies. I absolutely love the Gambit system, I cannot say enough about it. The customizability of character AI is beyond anything seen before or since. Although character roles are rather genericb since any character can acquire basically any skill, individual characters are still very tailored towards certain specializations because ofBy far my favorite of the "modern" (PS2/PS3) Final Fantasies. I absolutely love the Gambit system, I cannot say enough about it. The customizability of character AI is beyond anything seen before or since. Although character roles are rather genericb since any character can acquire basically any skill, individual characters are still very tailored towards certain specializations because of base stats and early in the game their different starting positions on the License Board

I thought the story was much more mature than most Final Fantasies (and JRPGs in general). Nothing overly special but it kept me moving forward and I really enjoyed the character developtment and underlying political intrigue. Like I said it's not mind blowing but it is very well toldThe world is large with lots to do, although some areas do feel rather empty.

I can see where some wouldn't like the Gambit system. You'll love it or hate. If you like absolute control over everything your party does under absolutely any situation, you will love it. If you want the old school RPG status quo of on-your-toes turn based menu selections, this may not be for you.

Last but not least, the first 2-3 hours (as with many RPGs) are extremely slow, IMO. Once you get full party control and start acquiring Gambits and Licenses, the game absolutely shines. Do not judge this game until you are a few hours in.
  5. Sep 20, 2013
    I only played this in 2013 on a ps2 emulator (4x resolution) and it was one the best game experiences I"ve had in a long time! (and I play a sht ton of games) It truly is a beautiful RPG with a very good story, massive world and deep gameplay.
    I didn't mind at all the supposedly negative MMO influences, at the contrary it feels so natural in the context of open world mechanics. Nice new touch compared to the usual ATB/RTB battle systems and I even loved the gambit system which a lot of people seem to complain about.

Graphics are unbelievably good for a ps2 game and one of the best examples where an increased internal resolution on the emulator can make a huge difference in overall quality to the point it doesn't seem you are playing a 2006 game at all.

The music is simply perfect, I may be old style but it's hard to beat well made symphonic soundtracks. (compared to most of the electronic uninspired garbage 99% of games use today)

It may have some minor gameplay issues but overall I just love everything about this game, I don't really care if it is a "true" FF game or not, it simply is a wonderful experience and I strongly encourage anyone to give it a try on the pcsx2 emulator on pc even if you have played it 9 years ago.
  6. Jan 20, 2012
    I love the game so much. It is the the second best final fantasy game next to FF 13. Up until now. I am still playing it. I'd finished this 11 times. Still ain't boring.
  7. Feb 10, 2012
    The plot failed to attract me, and the characters were generally flat (except Balthier or Basch) but the game hooked me since the first moment. The fighting system is excellent, and I never got bored of it throughout the game.

Another positive point was the length of the game. A lot of secrets and new weapons that required long walks along the huge maps and had a proper difficulty. The

The gambits were well established, although if you abused them, that could worsen the experience of the game.

I forgot the OST and other themes. I would stand out the boss fight theme, it was extremely EPIC.
  8. May 27, 2012
    A masterpiece game. One of my favorite final fantasies and favorite games of all time. You feel like everything happening in this world is happening in real time. You really care about your characters and the outcome of their journey!
  9. Jan 5, 2015
    My favorite of all the final fantasy games, truly a work of art, even today most new gen console games can't hold a candle to this in terms of story, character development, combat/Strategy and environment.
    If we get a HD remake I'll buy it in heart beat.
  10. Aug 25, 2012
    A game people seem to either love or hate. I loved it, loved the characters, story and more importantly gameplay and the world you explore. I disagree about the music from some comments, as i thought it was excellent and matched the zones perfectly, Feywood is a great example, plus the different weather was a great idea and how it changed areas. Lots of exploring to do and some places areA game people seem to either love or hate. I loved it, loved the characters, story and more importantly gameplay and the world you explore. I disagree about the music from some comments, as i thought it was excellent and matched the zones perfectly, Feywood is a great example, plus the different weather was a great idea and how it changed areas. Lots of exploring to do and some places are shockingly hard if you stumble upon them too soon, which makes for a challenge. The best since FFVII, and different armour and weapon bonuses. Great game. Expand
  11. Aug 26, 2012
    This is one of my favorite final fantasies, it has a rich storyline, some memorable characters (but i don´t really like Vaan, Balthier is my favorite character in the game though), the battle system is one of the best in the series, it has a good musical score, and the graphics are amazing.
  12. Apr 6, 2014
    Is there something wrong? Why do I see all the negatives? The hate? Have the other Final Fantasies turned you all haters into fanboys/fangirls? Peace friends!

For one, I love this game. It develops an imaginatory, that's right, storyline and YOU decide the story for your characters. It was time Square let people imagine, not just sit lazy and take in the video game itself. The story is full of betrayal, drama, humor (Balthier), and unpredictability... So don't your dare review FF XII without completing it!

I can assume the haters are rushing the game to simply put it, skipping plotlines and not caring to enjoy the scenery. Why? Well guaranteed you are in favor of another Final Fantasy (VII, like always...) But anyway, the story needs your imagination. That's what Square did. Really smart eh?

As for the gameplay... Gambits unlock a whole ton of options/accessibility for the players to experiment with and test with. A ton. Thousands of limitless ideas.... As for that, you can also toggle gambits off if you aren't in favor of that general idea.

The scenery and visuals, are in one word, stunning. Have you ever took the time to look at the architecture of each city? Dungeon? You should.

The soundtrack takes time to listen to and stick it to your head. Eventually, it will fit in with the theme like a puzzle piece. It is performed orchestrally unlike its predecessors instead of using computerized music which was the case for all the earlier Final Fantasy series.

I won't spoil the secondaries, but there are a TON of things to do in FF XII... Filling your bestiary/monsterpedia, obtaining all items, completing the "bounties" ( Won't spoil the name), and items to find et cetera.

The beginning starts out as a Star Wars replica like stated before, but eventually the pod blooms and the story opens up... into the Final Fantasy XII. The beginning isn't even a fun game, but that was Square's smart move. After you continue the story of FF XII the story all ties in together and oh my, the goosebumps you will get later on. After you finish the game you'll hit the climax and will really miss the game...

Whoever reviewed this game poorly probably is suffering from a long-term headache, is a fanboy/fangirl of another Final Fantasy game, did not get into the "fun boundary", as I stated above, or simply did not complete the game. I am a laxative person and I enjoy games and dislike games, but this game is a like, or love, for me.
  13. Nov 22, 2012
    some people say this game is bad......... WHAT!? most of the things they say are opinion, like "I DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS DIFFERENT" yeah its different and its BETTER. square enix tried to give us a new battle system that actually made sense, before you were forced into a battle after taking a few steps which was ANNOYING. it wasn't too bad, but i'd say this battlesome people say this game is bad......... WHAT!? most of the things they say are opinion, like "I DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE THE BATTLE SYSTEM IS DIFFERENT" yeah its different and its BETTER. square enix tried to give us a new battle system that actually made sense, before you were forced into a battle after taking a few steps which was ANNOYING. it wasn't too bad, but i'd say this battle system is BETTER. another thing, people complain about the soundtrack saying it was not as good as previous games................ heres something you should try........... TURN UP THE VOLUME! Expand
  14. Sep 17, 2012
    One of the most controversial Final Fantasy game (for its battle system) but (probably) the best Final Fantasy game ever made and one of the best video games for PS2.
  15. Nov 19, 2012
    FFXII creates a sensational world to travel through with it's excellent music always adding to the atmosphere. Very absorbing. The combat system is fresh and gambits allow the player to customize as much or as little as desired for more complex or simple combat. The primary story and character development are subdued for a final fantasy game, but there is a surprising amount of detailFFXII creates a sensational world to travel through with it's excellent music always adding to the atmosphere. Very absorbing. The combat system is fresh and gambits allow the player to customize as much or as little as desired for more complex or simple combat. The primary story and character development are subdued for a final fantasy game, but there is a surprising amount of detail involving npcs and lots of rewarding sidequests (especially hunts), which allow you to explore the vivid and vast world of Ivalice. Expand
  16. Dec 30, 2012
    My favorite game of all time. I'm still enamored by it, and find myself replaying it every other year. Great story, graphics, gameplay. Usually the reason people don't like this game is because of previous expectations, or because final fantasy fans are pricks who enjoy arguing about which is best.
  17. Jan 8, 2013
    Final Fantasy XII is an amazing game, like all Square Enix games. This game is probably the best Final Fantasy in terms of things to do. You could spend 50 hours on the main story line, and then have content worth another 100 hours still left to do, and whats great about it is that it gives you ultimate freedom. Tired of doing the story line? You can go do mark missions, or find sideFinal Fantasy XII is an amazing game, like all Square Enix games. This game is probably the best Final Fantasy in terms of things to do. You could spend 50 hours on the main story line, and then have content worth another 100 hours still left to do, and whats great about it is that it gives you ultimate freedom. Tired of doing the story line? You can go do mark missions, or find side quests, or just explore and level up. The game has some of the best boss battles of the FF series, and wonderful areas to explore. A lot of people seem to hate the new combat system, but I for one love it and think it was a great change new change to their games up until this point. Expand
  18. Mar 24, 2013
    The FF XII storyline is one of the best and most mature FF storylines. The story isn't melodramatic or geared toward preteen girls. The dialog in the game is beautiful. The music is beautiful. The gameplay gambit system is fun enough although perhaps not interactive enough. I've played a lot of PS2 games (especially via PCSX2), but I keep coming back to this game in particular. I'dThe FF XII storyline is one of the best and most mature FF storylines. The story isn't melodramatic or geared toward preteen girls. The dialog in the game is beautiful. The music is beautiful. The gameplay gambit system is fun enough although perhaps not interactive enough. I've played a lot of PS2 games (especially via PCSX2), but I keep coming back to this game in particular. I'd have to say it's by far my favorite PS2 game. Expand
  19. May 25, 2013
    Some fans does not like FFXII because it is not like previous FF games but i think it is the best one, It does have much of what a FF game is. FF needs change to it so that it doesen´t become clones of each other like COD has.
  20. Oct 29, 2013
    This is probably the best Final Fantasy game so far, in my opinion, this great tale of deception and political war games bring true thrill to those who seek the finest in storytelling. The battle system is different from it's predecessors, but it works very well. You don't need to worry about cheesy clichés that plague your average RPG, this is a grown up Final Fantasy title and it isThis is probably the best Final Fantasy game so far, in my opinion, this great tale of deception and political war games bring true thrill to those who seek the finest in storytelling. The battle system is different from it's predecessors, but it works very well. You don't need to worry about cheesy clichés that plague your average RPG, this is a grown up Final Fantasy title and it is waiting for open minds to play it. Expand
  21. Dec 12, 2013
    Totally awesome game. Its quite a change from the turn base combat system. It feels MMO-like but you build the AI via gambits. Takes a little time to get used to the gambit system, but it become very powerful and handy for grinding exp.
  22. Mar 25, 2014
    When I started a game I was shocked with number of critics about this FF. I wanted to try it and... damn, that's a great game! At the moment I'm after hmm, around 20 hours of playing and I must admit that it's really hard to get bored with this FF. For me new battle style, leveling method etc., all this things are just perfect. For me, now, it's definitely the best FF out there. Story andWhen I started a game I was shocked with number of critics about this FF. I wanted to try it and... damn, that's a great game! At the moment I'm after hmm, around 20 hours of playing and I must admit that it's really hard to get bored with this FF. For me new battle style, leveling method etc., all this things are just perfect. For me, now, it's definitely the best FF out there. Story and characters are great too. Main char is empty and boring? Please... he's 100x better and less annoying than Tidus! He could be his father as well, in the mature of the nature meaning. Open world is great too! Generally, this is THE MUST PLAY jRPG for console. Absolutely. Expand
  23. Mar 10, 2014
    Back in the day this was one of the greatest games in the PS2 era, sadly it was bashed by a lot of hate because of the direction it took, and although the main character wasn't main at all, this game screams FF all over it.
  24. Apr 16, 2014
    People have been saying that every Final Fantasy under the Square Enix title has sucked, but with XII it is not so. With a great story, an incredibly large open world, a well designed combat system, good soundtrack, and an extremely complex but very fun gameplay. Final Fantasy 12 is definitely my favorite of all the Final Fantasy games.
  25. Nov 12, 2014
    I've played nearly every core game in the Final Fantasy, and this one has my favorite battle system. Your characters run around and fight in real time instead of having to wait through a cut scene animation for every battle.

The story is a bit weak compared to other games in the series. There are amazing characters, but I don't feel like the game spent enough time developing them. That is to say, the story was still better than what you'll find in most other games, but it wasn't Final Fantasy quality. However, the battle system totally makes up for it. 10/10 for enjoyment.
  26. Aug 31, 2014
    One of the if not THE best game on PS2.
    +This game features an exceptional open world with easily the best graphics on PS2. One of the best soundtracks ever (approx 5 hours of top quality OST).
    +The combat system is the most innovative and original I have ever seen in an RPG. (the gambit system rules). It may be a bit complex at first, but you soon get used to it. +The game itself is
    One of the if not THE best game on PS2.
    +The game itself is full of content (well over 200 hours of gameplay without getting bored).
    +The characters are very likeable (balthier ftw).
    Frankly, if you have a PS2 or an emulator on your PC or just want to check this game out, don't hesitate. It deserves it's critic rating and is easily one of the best games ever made.
    You can see that the developpers made everything in detail for example when you see that weather conditions affect the usefullness of your weapons, or that some enemies will detect you based on smell, some on hearing, some on vision, and some (like the undead for example) when you have less than 40% HP.
    I think this is enough to see at what extent the developpers wanted to make the perfect game and its really not far from that.
    If there was a negative point I could come up with it's that there are some things that you can not know without going on the wiki or having a walkthrough.
    Apart from that, this game is 10++/10. Definitely a must have.
  27. Oct 19, 2014
    This game is my favorite PS2 game of all time! I know there are many people that don't like this game, but thats probably because they are used to the old style final fantasy games of turn-based and random encounters. Final Fantasy XII gets rid of that and lets you choose which enemies to fight, when to fight them, and how to fight them. The "how to fight them" part is where the gambitsThis game is my favorite PS2 game of all time! I know there are many people that don't like this game, but thats probably because they are used to the old style final fantasy games of turn-based and random encounters. Final Fantasy XII gets rid of that and lets you choose which enemies to fight, when to fight them, and how to fight them. The "how to fight them" part is where the gambits come into play. Gambits are automatic commands that excute under certain conditions and can be set up for each of the characters. For example, instead of repeatedly pressing attack when your ATB gauge fills up, you can set up a gambit to do that for you. This eliminates the repetitive and time consuming process of navigating through the menus to find the action you wish to take. Gambits are prioritized with the most important at the top of the list and the least important at the bottom. As you progress through the game however, the large diversity of gambits combined with the growing number of gambits you can set up can make the game (if done properly) play by itself without needing your input. So I recommend that you only use a few basic gambits to make sure that doesn't happen.

Here are some pros and cons to the game:

Pros:
    - excellent battle system (no random encounters; enemies are seen from a distance and battles are done in real time without switching between exploration mode and battle mode)
    - gambits make battles much more convenient
    - open world; many large areas in the game to explore (and freedom to do so)
    - many optional quests gives more gameplay value
    - boss fights are fun
    - freedom to customize characters' weapons, armor, and abilities.
    - graphics are amazing! (for PS2)
    - great diverse soundtrack
    - story is good (if understood)
    - The world of Ivalice and its history is excellently created
    - lots of optional character interaction

Cons:
    - gambits may make the game play by itself
    - story is boring and sometimes confusing
    - main characters aren't really interesting and don't go through much change througout the story
    - boss fights can be very long at times (but depending on your play-style, it can be a pro or con)

Basically, this is kind of like a single player MMO because of all the freedoms this game allows you to have. If you are a fan of MMOs and don't mind the single player aspect, this is the game for you!

A masterpiece of the PS2 era and a definite 10/10!
  28. May 3, 2015
    Final Fantasy XII is simply a masterpiece in every single aspect of the game, this work of art should be undoubtedly fully enjoyed by those more mature gamers.
  29. Sep 28, 2010
    It's a bit late to write a review for this game for I'll just hop in the wagon anyway. It's simple, it's like Final Fantasy XIII, the breaks boundaries when it comes to graphics and gameplay, but snoozes on plot and characters. The score for Final Fantasy XII is easily one of the weakest in the series, but to me gamplay is the heart of all games, and Final Fantasy shines by giving us aIt's a bit late to write a review for this game for I'll just hop in the wagon anyway. It's simple, it's like Final Fantasy XIII, the breaks boundaries when it comes to graphics and gameplay, but snoozes on plot and characters. The score for Final Fantasy XII is easily one of the weakest in the series, but to me gamplay is the heart of all games, and Final Fantasy shines by giving us a similar to MMOPRG style gameplay. I just want to say that I give props to whatever game that's willing to take risk so Square Enix, good for you. Expand
  30. Jan 16, 2012
    Many fans of Final Fantasy will bash this game because of its dramatically different Gambit battle system. While this is definitely unlike any Final Fantasy game you have experienced, the Gambit system really is an extremely well done battle system that even went on to inspire games like Dragon Age Origins. If you take the time to learn it you will appreciate the strategic aspects ofMany fans of Final Fantasy will bash this game because of its dramatically different Gambit battle system. While this is definitely unlike any Final Fantasy game you have experienced, the Gambit system really is an extremely well done battle system that even went on to inspire games like Dragon Age Origins. If you take the time to learn it you will appreciate the strategic aspects of planning your battle commands beforehand but in the event you really do not like the battle system, Gambits can be turned off for a more traditional Final Fantasy style of gameplay. Once Gamebits have been turned off, the battle system becomes Final Fantasy except with a controllable character and seamless battles, both of which are enormous improvements to the game. I fear many people have dismissed this game far too early, and if they had taken the time to appreciate the mechanics of the game they would have been able to experience one of the most intricate stories and deep characters ever created in a Final Fantasy game. Expand

1. The story soars, but not so often. The dungeons are long and meandering. The gameplay is effective, but not engrossing. It's a staggeringly well-made game that throws more at you than any other RPG on the PS2... but well-made doesn't necessarily mean "fun."
  2. This is absolutely my favorite Final Fantasy title, a claim I probably would have laughed at two years ago when rumors about the game’s battle system began to circulate.
  3. One of those rare games that can be appreciated by both hardcore and casual fans alike, Final Fantasy XII may very well be Square's last great adventure, and a fitting sendoff, for the PlayStation 2.