8.5

1. Jan 1, 2012
    If someone were to play this game, having played GTAIV and its subsequent add-ons, you would definitely see how dated and sloppy some areas of GTAIII can be. But at the time of its release, it was an absolute landmark in gaming. It set the standard for open world games as know it and introduced game-play elements that are now common ground. It can be hard to appreciate this game as much asIf someone were to play this game, having played GTAIV and its subsequent add-ons, you would definitely see how dated and sloppy some areas of GTAIII can be. But at the time of its release, it was an absolute landmark in gaming. It set the standard for open world games as know it and introduced game-play elements that are now common ground. It can be hard to appreciate this game as much as it should be appreciated, considering it is definitely outdated nowadays, but respect is still deserved for one of the greatest games ever made. Bring on GTA5! Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    play this absolutely epic truly the greatest playstation 2 game ohnestly endless fun great atmosphre. fun missions and for its time good graphics. if i had to complain it would be the character models a bit fuzzy
  3. Elmo
    Feb 2, 2002
    The game made me laugh, a lot. It's so real. It feels great and plays well. It's the little things that count and GTA3 has loads. Waiting for trains, fights between gangs, headlights in the rain, the more you make the guy run the fitter he gets. It's thing like this that make games, GTA3 is packed full of fun gore and other things your mum hates!
  4. Dennis
    Jan 10, 2002
    This game totally exceeded my expectations for playability, it never gets boring to me.
  5. AnthonyT.
    Jan 5, 2002
    Three Words - Best Game Ever. Denny D. should realize that sex and violence go together.
  6. KyleK.
    Dec 3, 2003
    This an awesome game because you can kill anyone you want drive anywhere but can't fly.This has very good missions good graphics but not as good as vice city though i gave it a 10. That's how good it is.
  7. RichieW.
    Jan 2, 2002
    Best game ever good graphics and I love the killing.
  8. BobB.
    Dec 16, 2002
    This IS quite possibly the best game on the PS2 to this date, it has unlimited freedom (almost), and its lifespan is everlasting, any time you dont know what to do you'll end up playing with this game for hours on end. It is also good for a quick shoot out when you're busy. It has a good storyline, the plot flows well, its is enormous, and above all FUN.
  9. TenzinR
    Aug 15, 2009
    One of the best game ever! Brought meaning to the term sandbox game, it didnt invent it but it perfected it. The reason I bought my ps2 plain and simple
  10. RyanM.
    Sep 21, 2002
    Could be the greatest game ever made, but if not, it's the best game for the PS2 and this decade.
  11. JoshuaK.
    Dec 14, 2001
    Best game ever!
  12. Aug 22, 2010
    Too all those people who are calling the game bad: Sure, everything about GTA III is dated. The graphics are horrible by todays standard. The AI is, too. But when GTA III first came out, it was revolutionary. It's still a great game, and fun just to run around the city and get a six star wanted level. It's still a very good game, by 2001's standards.
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    **** yeah, **** I played this when I was six and I swear to god, I saw Jesus. Maybe not literally but I saw what video games could be. I saw what every gamer should see. It's amazing.
  14. Dec 16, 2010
    Grand Theft Auto III was the revolutionary video game in 2001, but now some people say this game is dog &$#@, but not really!The 18 content is not really 18!The violence is not extreme and no sex!But Foul language is WTF.The action blazes,but with some small bugs!This review is short and this game isn't perfection like Super Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time!Those are perfect!
  15. Apr 7, 2011
    One of the very first games I ever played. I can remember many a weekend playing this game endlessly. It was fun, the cars were cool, the missions were rewarding and it had one of the most important devices in any GTA game; the idea of being able to go wherever you want, when you want and do what you want. Whether I was blasting pedestrians with a shotgun, doing an insane stunt or beingOne of the very first games I ever played. I can remember many a weekend playing this game endlessly. It was fun, the cars were cool, the missions were rewarding and it had one of the most important devices in any GTA game; the idea of being able to go wherever you want, when you want and do what you want. Whether I was blasting pedestrians with a shotgun, doing an insane stunt or being chased by the police, this game always had a special place in my heart. Only drawback was that even for 2001, the graphics looked primitive. But apart from that, the best GTA on the PS2. Expand
  16. Nov 7, 2011
    This is an infinitely replayable game that has so much to do. You are crazy if you don't like this game. It is so fun because you can do anything in this game, whether it is free roaming the Liberty City streets or playing the missions.
  17. Dec 14, 2011
    When i heard this was coming out for the PS2, i turned my nose up at it. I wasn't a GTA fan i hated the birds-eye view. After a few months of my cousin pestering me to get it off my friend, i did. I tell you now i loved it, i have NEVER EVER played a game where its ok to cruise, listen to music and kill people. This game was brilliant. The maps were huge, the missions vaired. The rise fromWhen i heard this was coming out for the PS2, i turned my nose up at it. I wasn't a GTA fan i hated the birds-eye view. After a few months of my cousin pestering me to get it off my friend, i did. I tell you now i loved it, i have NEVER EVER played a game where its ok to cruise, listen to music and kill people. This game was brilliant. The maps were huge, the missions vaired. The rise from a street punk to a top gangster was just pure brilliance. Expand
  18. Aug 22, 2012
    Clearly one of the best games ever made. This game is one of the greatest games ever created. Story is great and the main character's silent is nice too, Graphics are overall nice. Gameplay became the basis for every GTA game followed.
    Every person who will rank this game lower than 9 - he/she can go f*** himself/herself.
  19. GeoffC.
    Sep 9, 2002
    I was reading this section, when someone named"Cool Am Ivan" gave this a 3. What game is he talking about? Boggsville? Blacksmiths in Grand Theft Auto 3? Is he on something? You know, this "person" is very stupid to put a review on the wrong game. Anyway, I thought the game was great. so don't listen to that loser!!!
  20. DarrylC.
    Jul 2, 2003
    Great game the best game i have ever bought and i have 75 of them. No matter how many times you play it you just want more.
  21. Mar 27, 2012
    GTA III is a classic , Rockstar's creativity to make an open-world/sandbox game at that time was innovative. You can send hours goofing on the streets killing,destroying or crashing cars , set with an interesting story that will not be forgotten for those that payed attention. GTA III delivers enough to satisfy last generation and current/future generation alike.
  22. KyleB.
    Nov 6, 2002
    The game made to deter people from the playstation 2. This game could quite possibly be the worst game I have ever played, I have played some very bad games. The very plot of the game is both pethetic and illy prepared. The story of revenge has gotten to be one of the lamest and most predictable with a very lame plot twists. The sole fact the game is based on lust and ilegal activites. The game made to deter people from the playstation 2. This game could quite possibly be the worst game I have ever played, I have played some very bad games. The very plot of the game is both pethetic and illy prepared. The story of revenge has gotten to be one of the lamest and most predictable with a very lame plot twists. The sole fact the game is based on lust and ilegal activites. the game has got to be one of the worst looking games ever on the ps2 save for rune. The games only saving grace is the freedom of action which will be brought to a sudden end because of the swift justice brought about from Liberty Citys finest! The weapons are both unintresting and leave alot more to the immangination. This game should not be bought, possibly only to be rented, but only on a cheap night! Expand
  23. LouisM.
    Aug 20, 2006
    Mediocre. I picked it up after having much experience with GTAs 1 and 2, with high expectations. The environment is detailed, varied, interesting, and with passable interactivity. There's a wonderful variety and sufficient volume of music included. The missions, however, are abysmal. Perhaps the worst I have ever seen in a game. Almost all are incredibly formulaic, and amount to "go Mediocre. I picked it up after having much experience with GTAs 1 and 2, with high expectations. The environment is detailed, varied, interesting, and with passable interactivity. There's a wonderful variety and sufficient volume of music included. The missions, however, are abysmal. Perhaps the worst I have ever seen in a game. Almost all are incredibly formulaic, and amount to "go to these locations with this time limit". Some missions must be thoroughly scoped (i.e., memorizing the positions of all important locations you must visit) and thus retried many times before victory is even possible, which to me seems ludacrous. Also, I'm very fond of GTA2, so I think the "respect" system and choice of gang you show your allegiance to was much more effective and advanced than the mission structure of this game, which is far more linear. Also, skirmishes between gangs on the streets do not occur often enough. Having to go through enemy territory on certain missions while being shot up is incredibly frustrating, given the already often excessive difficulty. The mechanics (especially shooting) are poorly designed and frustrating. Also, the inability to simply start a mission again from the beginning with the same equipment is bizzare. It's an okay game on the whole, but was and still is incredibly overrated and overappreciated. I really don't see how such a flawed game recieved such universally high reviews. Expand
  24. JakeH.
    Jun 3, 2004
    ok man here it goes they need better fighting styles better mini shitty game things or whatever the RC shit stuff plus whats with two stars when you kill one cop totally gay man get em to fix it I might not bust the games in half like GTA 3 and vice city peace it...
  25. Fdmint
    Nov 6, 2004
    Someone said the game is pointless ... yeah ..why doesn`t Fido just runs away with Maria ..an live happily ever after ???? ...AND MY Question : What ever happened with 8-Ball the demo-expert , "your' friend ?....and the 3 cities are very big U move very slow betwen them ...AND : I was told that there was no 4-th city !!!!!!!! or somebody was talking about that ghost city { wich is an Someone said the game is pointless ... yeah ..why doesn`t Fido just runs away with Maria ..an live happily ever after ???? ...AND MY Question : What ever happened with 8-Ball the demo-expert , "your' friend ?....and the 3 cities are very big U move very slow betwen them ...AND : I was told that there was no 4-th city !!!!!!!! or somebody was talking about that ghost city { wich is an error ? right ? } ...and I like the shot-gun..but it`s to ...i mean U can destroy a car with only 2 shots ...thats to much !!!! AND Another of my Questions : What happened with Donald Love ?? I mean in the last of his mission..that`s just a cut-seen ..he dissapears !!!..where does he go ? and why does he leave ?? Expand
  26. ApuN.
    Jan 30, 2004
    Good game, 1st city is good but got boring after. plus whats up with old grannys pulling you out of the tank:S
  27. KanameS.
    Dec 20, 2006
    This game royally sucked. This had to have been the worst game I've ever played. Aside from the fact that the game is totally overrated, there was no real plot to it and I believe that this game should be burned and never seen again. I stand with my rating.
  28. JonasW.
    Feb 4, 2002
    The game is straight up stupid and dull.
  29. CoolAmIvan
    Sep 10, 2002
    Hey ''geoff c.'' u think im stupid?? well there is a town called boggeville. its codename for the 4th city. I know the secret how to get there. and in the 4th city there is a blacksmith and u you can use swords. there is also a big fight with this dude that takes forever to load. maybe u should know what ur tokin aboot before u go tellin me that im stupid. now go play Hey ''geoff c.'' u think im stupid?? well there is a town called boggeville. its codename for the 4th city. I know the secret how to get there. and in the 4th city there is a blacksmith and u you can use swords. there is also a big fight with this dude that takes forever to load. maybe u should know what ur tokin aboot before u go tellin me that im stupid. now go play ur 3 cities loser because u will never know the secret to boggsville!!!! hahahah! !!!!! muhahaha!!!! Expand
  30. Someguy
    Mar 22, 2003
    The most horrible game ever!!! When i used the tank i already got busted and when some guy fights me i have to fight back rite?once punched him i got a wanted level like wtf is this sh*t it should be in the toliet. The graphics suk. Stay away from this game when u see it!!

1. The end-all, be-all of console action games. Period...For me GTA3 is the best action game I have ever played on a console system and I highly recommend it to adults (the intended audience of this game) who know the difference between good and evil.
  2. An insanely deep game that offers a lot to do outside of the 70+ missions. If you understand that it's just a game and that these selfsame actions are not healthy in the real world, you'll enjoy a well-developed world disguised as a deviously fun game.
  3. Adding to the frustration is the fact that your targeting system is practically useless, and the vehicle physics model is annoyingly floaty. [Jan 2002, p.78]