8.8

1. Sep 15, 2010
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is a great platform adventure game put together with slapstick comedy. Inappropriate you say, well you'll think twice as soon as you play this. From the creators that brought you Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog) comes a new tale about a young boy named Jak and his pal Daxter who are on there way to Misty Island to meet up with Samos, master of the GreenJak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is a great platform adventure game put together with slapstick comedy. Inappropriate you say, well you'll think twice as soon as you play this. From the creators that brought you Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog) comes a new tale about a young boy named Jak and his pal Daxter who are on there way to Misty Island to meet up with Samos, master of the Green Eco. As soon as they arrive they come across two people named Gol and Maia who command an evil army of Lukers. Jak and Daxter attempt to leave but are attacked by one of the Lukers, Jak manages to destroy the creature with a barrel of Eco, but Jak gets knocked back and accidently bumps Daxter into a pool of Dark Eco which turns him into a orange ottsel (a sort of otter or weasel). Worried and frightened they finally meet up with Samos who explains that only the Sage of Dark Eco can change Daxter back. It's up to Jak and his new transformed pal Daxter to defeat the Lukers and stop Gol and Maia before they can flood the world with Dark Eco. During your journey you will be helped by Samos and his daughter Keira a mechanical engineer (and love interest of Jak) who builds machines of transport to take you to the sage of Dark Eco. Along the way she requires you to find Power Cells in order to powerup her machines. You play as Jak in the game and Daxter assists you with some hints to help you out. You can attack by pressing the square button for a power puch and the circle button for a spin, also there are Eco powers you can use as well. Blue Eco makes you speed up and jump high into the air to reach those really high ledges and Orange Eco gives you the power to shoot enemies. There are puzzles to be solved, tasks to be completed and challenges to accomplish throughout the game. In order to advance further you need to collect as many Power Cells as possible which are not easy to find. There are 101 to find in total. These are found by defeating enemies, accomplishing tasks set by friends on the islands, trading Precursor Orbs and completing puzzles. The journey is a sort of a tunnel like in the Crash series, from one Island to another but it is more free roaming and there are a number of tasks to complete. Every time you collect one Jak and Daxter will do a dance (like the Crash dance in Crash Bandicoot) which is hillarious. There are some great vehicles you ride which can run over water and lava. Jak and Daxter definitely make a great duo together and Daxter is my favourite and funniest in the game. For those who don't like games mixed with comedy and slapstick should at least give Jak and Daxter a second chance and you may think twice. There are a few problems though in the game. Jak doesn't really have a lot of attack moves and you can't defend yourself, so if there are hundreds at you at once your screwed. Jumping is a real issue at times as well, you can't jump a great leap even by double jumping. Checkpoints are rare and you don't actually know when you've reached a checkpoint until you die, if you do then you'll start back at that checkpoint and you will have to go through all what you did before. Jak is the only playable character in the game, I would have liked it more if you could also play as Daxter. Despite this Jak and Daxter is a great platform warm up for the PS2 and you will have hours of fun. Expand
  2. May 7, 2012
    Back in 2001, this was the best game created and one of the most creative games I've played. It still holds a special place in my heart and its how I got into the Jak and Daxter series. Its also one of my first PS2 games I bought. An amazing game indeed!!
  3. Sep 19, 2010
    Jak and Daxter: The Percursor Legacy is a good game. First off, the game is lovely to look at and the 3D design of the levels was definitely revolutionary at the time. The game is huge (considering it is an early PlayStation 2 game) with multiple areas to explore. You need to collect a certain amount of Power Cells which can be obtained by doing tasks (like doing jobs for the locals) orJak and Daxter: The Percursor Legacy is a good game. First off, the game is lovely to look at and the 3D design of the levels was definitely revolutionary at the time. The game is huge (considering it is an early PlayStation 2 game) with multiple areas to explore. You need to collect a certain amount of Power Cells which can be obtained by doing tasks (like doing jobs for the locals) or finding them dotted around the area which then can be used to advance to the next area. The 2 main characters, Jak and Daxter are likable although Daxter can get on my nerves sometimes (although his voice actor is awesome) and Jak doesn't talk. This game is a nice, traditional platformer with obstacles like Dark Eco crates, nicely designed enemies and pitfalls. Jak (the main character you play as) has a variety of moves to help him fight like a punch, dive and spin attack (Like Crash Bandicoot, another game made by Naughty Dog) to help him fight his enemies. He also can charge himself with a variety of powers vented from Eco Vents like Red Eco will make Jak stronger, Orange Eco can make him shoot fireballs and Blue Eco can make him operate special platforms. The bosses are simple but cool to fight. You can also ride in a zoomer which serves as some vehicle sections over lava pits which are interesting. The script can also pop out some comedy moments especially from Daxter and the voice acting for each character is spot on. The end boss is also epic. The game does become difficult due to the fact that checkpoints are spaced out and quite rare but Jak and Daxter is an enjoyable game that fans of platformers can't miss! Expand
  4. Nov 1, 2011
    A well made game to say the least. Fun and I love the miniquest system. Very innovative and original. I applaud Naughty Dog for this game. A fun game to get a series going.
  5. Nov 30, 2011
    I don't understand why people give this game anything under a perfect score. I'm not worshiping the game and not trying to sound like a game developer's pet, but Naughty Dog just knows how to create quality products. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is a mix of fun, adventure, and comic mischief. Although compared to the later titles, this game seems a tad light-hearted and strippedI don't understand why people give this game anything under a perfect score. I'm not worshiping the game and not trying to sound like a game developer's pet, but Naughty Dog just knows how to create quality products. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy is a mix of fun, adventure, and comic mischief. Although compared to the later titles, this game seems a tad light-hearted and stripped down, it is still loads of fun and gets quite difficult to beat especially if you're going for collecting every item. Overall, this is a must buy for lovers of the action platform genre; There is nothing wrong with this game. Expand
  6. Jul 11, 2012
    This Game, Is a Master Piece...I loved It the ending was good, gameplay was brilliant and the Boss battle was superb! It would be in the top 10 Greatest Games of all time!
  7. Nov 12, 2012
    Jak & Daxter is a great platform adventure game, that may lack in originality, but makes up for in charm, playability, and pure immersion. The plot is simple to follow, with two friends who, after getting themselves into trouble on Misty Island (Daxter gets turned into an ottsel), set out to find help in undoing their mess at the advice of Samos, only to uncover a conspiracy to flood theJak & Daxter is a great platform adventure game, that may lack in originality, but makes up for in charm, playability, and pure immersion. The plot is simple to follow, with two friends who, after getting themselves into trouble on Misty Island (Daxter gets turned into an ottsel), set out to find help in undoing their mess at the advice of Samos, only to uncover a conspiracy to flood the lands in Dark ego. The gameplay is simple, with the basic spin, punch, dive and jump being carried over from Naughty Dogs previous games, Crash Bandicoot, while also adding in some nice driving scenes and other side missions, like collecting scout flies. To progress through the game you need to collect power cells, similar to Super Mario's stars, which may be a turn off to some. The games biggest achievement however has to be its large, detailed world, full of places to explore, people to meet, things to collect and secrets to uncover, all without any load times. The game falls short however in some areas, mainly its length and replay value. It may take between 8 - 10 hours, depending on how avid a collector you are, and when you finish there is little else to do game play wise, except...collect...Though you can always pass the time running around taking in your surroundings, narrated by Daxter, your likeable, if somewhat annoying sidekick. At the end of the day, this game lives up the the hype built up around its release, and makes the most out of the PS2's engine, despite its lack of any real originality. Expand
  8. Feb 25, 2013
    My personal favorite of the Jak series to be honest. I loved the route they took with this game and it was a lot of fun to playthrough as a little kid. I still play it every once in a while, it's a lot of fun!
  9. Jun 20, 2015
    this game is one of my favorite games of all time i played it through in one sitting this game literally forged my childhood being one of the first games i have ever played. The visuals are so pretty and fun to look at and they aged so well! The colors are bright and playful. The gameplay is smooth and easy to get the hang of but also challenging when it gets to bosses or parkouring areas.this game is one of my favorite games of all time i played it through in one sitting this game literally forged my childhood being one of the first games i have ever played. The visuals are so pretty and fun to look at and they aged so well! The colors are bright and playful. The gameplay is smooth and easy to get the hang of but also challenging when it gets to bosses or parkouring areas. The story is filled with humor and even some slapstick comedy this is a game that knows it's light hearted and embraces it fully. Expand
  10. Nov 21, 2014
    As an (almost) launch title for the PS2, it's good. As the devs first stray away from Crash Bandicoot, it's a good successor, my only problem is the characters. I dont find them that interesting, Daxter is very annoying and not that funny, and Jak for some reason is a mute. other than this, it's fun.
  11. Dec 10, 2014
    After naughty dog was bored with the Crash Bandicoot games from the PS1, the PS2 came out and they went with a new IP. That IP was Jak and Daxter. Jak is a silent protagonist (not really a fan of those) with anime hair and elf ears and daxter is his comic relief sidekick. They live on some made up unnamed alien world full of other elf people. They go this island with evil tribes/cultistsAfter naughty dog was bored with the Crash Bandicoot games from the PS1, the PS2 came out and they went with a new IP. That IP was Jak and Daxter. Jak is a silent protagonist (not really a fan of those) with anime hair and elf ears and daxter is his comic relief sidekick. They live on some made up unnamed alien world full of other elf people. They go this island with evil tribes/cultists named Gol and Maya who plan to do generic bad guy stuff (take over the world) bad stuff happens and daxter falls into a pool of this "evil element" called dark Eco and turns into a otter weasel hybrid called an ottsel. So Jak and Daxter adventure across the world to stop Gol and Maya from consuming the world with dark Eco and turn daxter back into a little elf guy like everyone else. They get help from Samos the green sage and his daughter Keira. The story is better than most other platformers, but still nothing amazing. That isn't a criticism as nobody plays platformers for the story anyway. The gameplay is just like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie, you run and jump around open environments, completing challenges, solving puzzles, whacking silly enemies, getting power ups, occasional vehicle levels, all for the purpose of collecting some valued item (in this case power cells) and you have to unlock a certain amount to open new areas. Nothing new, but this game does it extremely well. After all a game doesn't to be innovative to be a masterpiece. The controls are perfectly solid, but the game was surprisingly easy. There where a few tricky power cells to get, but compared to Jak II this game is a cakewalk. The challenge more often lies in figuring where the power cells are rather than actually getting them. The levels are extremely diverse and each one has it's own unique challenges to complete. The enemies are okay, there very small and only takes one or two smacks to kill. There are 3 bosses, the first 2 are good enough, but the final boss is epic, I won't spoil it. The graphics are absolutely mind blowing for a game made in 2001. It looks way better than other 2001 games like gta 3 and halo combat evolved. The environments are extremely colorful and vibrant and all the textures look very detailed. For such a big colorful and seamless open world, there's surprising lack of glitches, loading screens, texture pop in etc. So a lot of time was put into polishing the game so it works the way it should. If you like platformers than this is an easy buy, especially if you like collectathon style ones like mario 64 and banjo kazooie. It's nothing terribly original, but it does refine everything the other games do so seamlessly. I'm still waiting for Jak and Daxter 4 naughty dog. Come one your making an uncharted 4, make a Jak and Daxter 4!!! Expand
  12. Apr 5, 2016
    Jak and Daxter: The precursor Legacy is an excellent platforming game that shows why the genre is so loved amongst gamers. Naughty Dog managed to create a realistic universe, with luscious visuals, somewhat interesting characters, fun explorative gameplay and a seamless semi-open world with no load times at all.
    The plot of the game is fairly simple, your companion gets into trouble and
    The plot of the game is fairly simple, your companion gets into trouble and you are sent on an adventure to find a way to return him to normal, of course this doesn't quite go to plan and the person capable of helping your friend, instead decides to rule the world, it is, admittedly a simple set up, and most of the characters are 1-Dimensional, but it serves its purpose well and gives the player a good enough reason to set off on their adventure. And what an adventure it is. You will cross through fiery canyons, snowy mountains, jungles, underground temples and swamplands. Each of these areas are brilliantly designed with different challenges ranging from punching a pelican to navigating a snowy fort. The game has very smooth controls with each move easily flowing into another, and allowing a more experienced player to navigate the levels more efficiently, which is a nice reward for those willing to understand the games mechanics. The game adds some variety in the form of a hoverbike and a bird that Jak can ride on to navigate areas differently and completely missions which would otherwise be impossible. While these are integrated nicely into the game and control just fine, it would have been nice if they were used in more levels, for more tasks as opposed to being in restricted areas. Along with this are some absolutely beautiful visuals, while not quite as polished as the sequels, the visual variety, excellent texture work, and fantastic lighting system make each level distinguished from each other, whilst still looking natural. The soundtrack of the game is generally understated and not the most memorable unfortunately, it works well to create an ambience within the levels, but none of the music is too catchy, which is a shame. Overall this is an excellent game that is a must play for fans of the platforming genre.
  13. Jul 14, 2012
    So many colors! i love how many colors they put in this game, and how beautiful it is watching it turn from day to noon to evening to night, killin' enemies,platforming and collecting stuff. than collect stuff and sell it to get more stuff, killing enemies to unlock stuff that unlocks more stuff to get more stuff. beautiful...just...beautiful.
  14. DANTESPARDA
    Feb 26, 2002
    A little bit difficult sometimes but....Focus on the game, give it a half hour, and you'll end up playin' this game all nite until 6 am, like i did.
    A master´piece, and in contrast to the PS2'S CRASH BANDICOOT LOADING TIMES, WORTHY OF THE XV CENTURY INQUISITION'S TORTURE TECHNIQUES, JAK AND DAXTER DON'T HAVE A SINGLE LOADING TIME IN THE WHOLE GAME. SUPERB.
  15. AnonymousMC
    Jun 28, 2002
    This game is amazing- the levels are giant, the acting is actually good, and it is challenging. This game reminds me of the Spyro the Dragon series- you help someone, and in return you get want you are searching for (Like helping them so they will give you a dragon egg).
  16. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is absolutely fantastic. My personal favorite platformer ever. If you wish for a great platforming experience, this is your game. I can't explain why I really like this game, its more of a you have to play it in order to understand why its good. Expand
  17. Jessica
    Jun 30, 2002
    I thought the overall game was good but the ending sucked.
  18. JovanyG.
    Jun 22, 2004
    I tried to put 8 12 but the thing didnt let me. I gave it 8 12 because I thouht it was esay even jak 2 is esay that is -1! second once i died cuz of the camera was pointing into the rocks and i couldnt anythig but daxter then a spider bit me and i fell to the dark ecko and I started from the beginig! thats -1! then theres no swords in jak and daxter & Jak 2 so thats minus 12 but daxter is I tried to put 8 12 but the thing didnt let me. I gave it 8 12 because I thouht it was esay even jak 2 is esay that is -1! second once i died cuz of the camera was pointing into the rocks and i couldnt anythig but daxter then a spider bit me and i fell to the dark ecko and I started from the beginig! thats -1! then theres no swords in jak and daxter & Jak 2 so thats minus 12 but daxter is kinda funny with a weird fummy voise so thats +1 man i cant wait till jak 3 there beter be a sword sword and powers for it like red stone gives the sword a fire wave that you get in that desert Expand
  19. Apr 29, 2011
    A boastful platformer that gamers of all ages should experience. Pros: Fantastic graphics; excellent control, camera, and audio; visually stellar level design; funny characters. Cons: Too short; repetitive enemies; bad soundtrack; the gameplay rarely varies.
  20. Mar 24, 2011
    If you like games like Sly Cooper, and Ratchet & Clank, than you'll love this. Me, personally I loved those games so this one was pretty good too. The graphics are really good for 2001, and the voice acting is good. The best part of this one is the maps. These great, nice and green areas are really nice. Overall this game is a great one if you have a PS3 or PS2.
  21. Nov 22, 2011
    This game is graphically beautiful, and the environments reach perfection. Daxter is a very funny sidekick, and the game gave me some good laughs. Daxter will try to do CPR or something on you when you die, and he yells like you're leaving forever. Jak is interesting, with his athletic techniques. Unfortunately, I couldn't give this game a 10 because it's fairly short and leaves you wanting more.
  22. Mar 14, 2014
    Jak and Daxter is the game that do what nintendon't do with The Legend of Zelda. Just incridible, a game made with love and time, and is one of the most innovative of the generation. Congratulations to Sony.
  23. AladdinS.
    Jan 8, 2002
    The only real negative I can find with this game is a little slow down here and there. It's so awesome that there is no loading ever during gameplay. It's such a massive world. It's closely resembles Mario 64, although not quite as much of a classic.
  24. SherriMc
    May 3, 2002
    Brilliant Game!! I am no pro at video games...this is the first game I have ever been able to complete. If you love to play video games...but you're not a pro....this is the game for you!! The game is not all easy.....but the free roaming let me venture so that I never got STUCK! The only downfall to this game.....is now I am spoiled, and cannot find another platform game that lives Brilliant Game!! I am no pro at video games...this is the first game I have ever been able to complete. If you love to play video games...but you're not a pro....this is the game for you!! The game is not all easy.....but the free roaming let me venture so that I never got STUCK! The only downfall to this game.....is now I am spoiled, and cannot find another platform game that lives up to my expectations!!!!! Now all I can do is wait and hope for the next Jak and Daxter!!!! I would say I wish the game was longer...my first completion ever and I did it in about a week. ( of course I had to get some help from my hubby every now and there ..I couldn't quiet master the zoomer!) I hope that the new platform games will follow the lead of this game!!!! This game is how platform games should be!!!! Expand
  25. TarikT.
    Sep 30, 2002
    How could anybody not love this game it is sooo cool. It makes me laugh a lot. So much better than the crash games it is not even funny.
  26. VirusMan
    Nov 5, 2002
    Great game with super graphics and amazing characters. You will fall in love with Daxter. Oh I want to know when we get a sequel?
  27. OriolG.
    Jan 9, 2002
    This game is very good!!!
  28. JustinM.
    Mar 15, 2004
    great platformer, but short.
  29. LineK.
    Jan 24, 2002
    It's a great game. It's good graphic funny and also good place to run and have fun.
  30. SolidSnake
    Feb 26, 2002
    Awesome! Such a massive world to explore, and some of the cinemas are funny. Gameplay rules over all platformers.

#7 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#15 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

One of the most thrilling games to hit PS2 since its launch.
  2. From the way the game renders an entire world that you can explore from one end to the next without a single loading screen, to animation that literally trounces anything ever seen in any videogame, to game design that keeps things interesting despite being what some would call “just a fetch quest,” this is a perfect example of the next generation in videogames.
    Simply amazing.