8.6

1. JonathanR.
    Jun 2, 2002
    This game is VERY good. I hope the bad reviews this game receive won't stop the making of another King's Field title.
  2. Aug 8, 2011
    Pure awesome-ness in game form. Yes, it's slow, and yes, it's frustrating if you die. But these are good things! You're truly afraid to die, you truly feel like an adventurer exploring cursed lands, and the slower combat allows you to think (which you must do to succeed) to beat your enemies and find the plethora of hidden items and secret places.

This game is about exploration, about

This game is about exploration, about probing an ancient horrific land, and about surviving amidst large hords (impressive unit counts and NO load times, great graphics for the time) of depraved enemies. It has a very Lovecraftian vibe.
  3. HeadacheBearcub
    Jun 16, 2002
    This game is exactly what I expected from the people at AGETEC. Yes, it is slow. Yes, you will probably die from the most asanine things the first several hours you put into it...YES it's a cool game. I love the series and hope they make another one with a slightly re-vamped gaming engine...that'd rock. Otherwise, I appreciate the visuals (better than morrowind by the way) and This game is exactly what I expected from the people at AGETEC. Yes, it is slow. Yes, you will probably die from the most asanine things the first several hours you put into it...YES it's a cool game. I love the series and hope they make another one with a slightly re-vamped gaming engine...that'd rock. Otherwise, I appreciate the visuals (better than morrowind by the way) and am gonna go play it now... -PFC Neill USMC Expand
  4. Dec 26, 2016
    I find the game to be oddly charming.The games punishing difficulty makes you think of a strategy of each encounter.The environment looks beautiful for a early PS2 game but its also very dangerous with common encounters with death traps.The enemy AI is a little hit and miss sometimes the enemy can be on the dumb side but that is really my only complaint.If you are looking for a awesomeI find the game to be oddly charming.The games punishing difficulty makes you think of a strategy of each encounter.The environment looks beautiful for a early PS2 game but its also very dangerous with common encounters with death traps.The enemy AI is a little hit and miss sometimes the enemy can be on the dumb side but that is really my only complaint.If you are looking for a awesome experience than get Kings Field: The ancient city....If you can find it,It can be very rare. Expand
  5. MarkB.
    May 31, 2002
    I was sold on the first US version of King's Field, and this release was one major buying decision in favor of the PS2 over the fiXbox or Cube. That said, this is a dungeon crawl - it's lonely, eerie, and based on discovering your world. If you're an adrenaline junkie, this is not the one. If you like to explore 3D worlds, find hidden things and hack monsters, then rent it I was sold on the first US version of King's Field, and this release was one major buying decision in favor of the PS2 over the fiXbox or Cube. That said, this is a dungeon crawl - it's lonely, eerie, and based on discovering your world. If you're an adrenaline junkie, this is not the one. If you like to explore 3D worlds, find hidden things and hack monsters, then rent it (if you're new) and see if the pace is OK for you. I bought it expecting to like it - and I do! Expand

#23 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2002

1. Game Informer
    Even with these intriguing traits in place, King's Field: The Ancient City will bore approximately 99.9% of the gamers out there. Primarily because the game is so slow and burdensome. [Apr 2002, p.77]
  2. PSM Magazine
    The action is so slow and the world so depressingly medieval. [Apr 2002]
    With a better laid-out world, more cleverly hidden treasures, and a great sense of nonlinearity, The Ancient City is a nice bit of evolution for the series.