• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Nov 18, 2003
8.8

1. May 25, 2013
    When I saw videos for it I thought it would mostly be an action platformer w/ hoverboarding levels. What you end up doing is navigating complex floating islands, jumping, hitting switches, collecting and button mashing. It even has stealth elements. While fun, I think its just too much for someone that wanted a pure action game. It could have been Mario Galaxy basically, but it doesn't have addictive pacing. Instead it sort of has quests, items, and blocked areas. With no warp menus I have to do too much walking. There are in-game tunnels, just not enough in my opinion. The production values are high, and has a lot of gameplay styles and good music. There is LOTS to see. Every corner of the game has something new, like triggers, new pathways... or many times its sometimes its just something that keeps electrocuting you. Eventually you get pretty far and die from an enemy. Sometimes you go back pretty far, sometimes not. Ineveitably there will be some backtracking for coins or items and just some places where you get lost. The money system and questing does hurt this game that could have been a good action platformer. Its surprising how great the graphics are on this one, and how much to explore, but its not something that I want to keep playing finish is all. For the market they were making this game for there is just too much going on. I really think this could have been a Mario Galaxy like game that would be a system seller, had they made it more addictive and easier to navigate. There is a lot fun going on in this game, but the slow parts hurt it too much. Expand

1. A brilliant title. The visuals are on par with "Rayman 3," the control almost as tight as "Mario," and the quests and puzzles both epic and innovative. [Holiday 2003, p.30]
    Unfortunately, Kya is a very difficult game to play as the controls are not particularly intuitive and the camera seems to delight in going haywire during delicate jumping situations.
  3. Ah... sub-"Jak & Daxter."