Madden NFL 2004 PlayStation 2

8.4

1. Sep 7, 2014
    One of the best madden games I've ever played but the reason I didn't give it a ten was because the sprint is x and you cant change that in the game. The reason I gave it such a high rating was partly because you can create your own plays which are also in some other old madden games and makes it so fun. The game play is outstanding and there's not much lag in the game. This is in top 3One of the best madden games I've ever played but the reason I didn't give it a ten was because the sprint is x and you cant change that in the game. The reason I gave it such a high rating was partly because you can create your own plays which are also in some other old madden games and makes it so fun. The game play is outstanding and there's not much lag in the game. This is in top 3 madden games for me for one more reason: the game modes aren't screwed up like Madden 25 or 15 Expand
  2. Jul 5, 2012
    A peak that as of 2012 the series has yet to reach. (blame that on the lack of comptish.) The gameplay is realistic and much more fun than the current versions of Madden, and the game was well ahead of its time. Throw in the excellent owner mode and you have a game with incredible replay value. The best Madden there ever has been.
  3. Dec 4, 2011
    This review is late, but I think it means something that I am still playing this game over 8 years later. This game is one of the most addicting football games I have ever played, and I have never been bored with it. Just the fact that I still play it means this game is awesome.
  4. CecilR.
    Sep 1, 2005
    Just when you think a football game can't get any better, Madden comes out and proves me wrong! It is by FAR the best game out right now(that is if you know how to play it & play it right!)
  5. JAKEV.
    Jun 2, 2005
    Madden is the best football game out and if you dont like you dont know football and the only who dont like suck at it thats all folks.
  6. CodeyM.
    Apr 7, 2005
    The game is all you can ask for . The only people tha dont like Madden are the people that dont know the game.
  7. BrianT.
    Mar 23, 2005
    I love the game,.....the only things i do not like are the bad penalty calls, like def.pass interference,that has not happened and challenged calls that get reversed when they should not have been.
  8. JacobF.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Espn 2K4 is much better.
  9. JoshB.
    Aug 18, 2004
    This game rocks. who ever doesnt like this game ....you suck.... this game is da bomb with all those madden cards and it even has a mini camp.
  10. SeanB.
    Jul 15, 2004
    When you just hear the name 'Madden 2004' , you turn into Butthead. huhhuhuhuuhuhuh-MaddenFootball....huhuhuh. THE GREATEST!
  11. AndreB.
    May 14, 2004
    This is the best football game ever.
  12. Sam
    Apr 16, 2004
    This game is amazin, An i am an englishman who finks american football sucks!!!
  13. DJ.B.
    Mar 28, 2004
    This game is a total piece of crap.Momentum swings are ridiculous. The AI is set up to always keep the other player in the game at all times. Dropped passes are way to many. There is no defense at all.If you do not fair catch every kick you will fumble. EA has totaly ruined this years madden football game. Who needs Madden and his commentary? I can predict the outcome of every game by the This game is a total piece of crap.Momentum swings are ridiculous. The AI is set up to always keep the other player in the game at all times. Dropped passes are way to many. There is no defense at all.If you do not fair catch every kick you will fumble. EA has totaly ruined this years madden football game. Who needs Madden and his commentary? I can predict the outcome of every game by the first kick of the ball. Maybe EA should concentrate on making the gameplay more realistic instead of adding crap to it every year that doesnt work, like PLAY MAKER controlls. It will be a rental next year before it gets a chance to sit on my game shelf. WAY TO GO EA. You will lose alot of diehards if you do not fix it! Expand
  14. D.CLenchmob
    Feb 4, 2004
    I think its the best football game in the world but i think theres a few thing missing like i think you should tackle more realistic as in two people should be able two hit the person with the ball what i mean is when one person hit them you can make a nother player hit them b4 they hit the ground better catches and there too many drop passes and people stopping the unstoppable players I think its the best football game in the world but i think theres a few thing missing like i think you should tackle more realistic as in two people should be able two hit the person with the ball what i mean is when one person hit them you can make a nother player hit them b4 they hit the ground better catches and there too many drop passes and people stopping the unstoppable players like TO Moss marvin harrison cuz they never drop passes on 03 other then that i have no replaints. Expand
  15. Bean
    Jan 4, 2004
    I've been playing Madden since the early days of '93 on SNES. I've played every year since. I can say without out a doubt, this is the most complete football game. Period.
  16. jmz
    Jan 3, 2004
    This game is awsome! They need more difficulty though! And More EA tracks more rock to be exact.. but overall its awesome!!
  17. Sean
    Dec 21, 2003
    One word can describe this game. AWESOME.
  18. BobS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Greatest game I have ever played!!!
  19. Rich
    Dec 15, 2003
    Ok first of all, im not just one of those ppls that say this game is good cause other ppl say it is, i just got this game 2 days ago and it RULES. and 4 the person that gave it a one... at least be realistic. if u think its 2 fast that just means u suck at it(even if it did move 2 fasst u cant give it a 1 4 it) anyway this game is rly cool cause of the owner mode, so i can get ppl in bankrupt.
  20. leinaDZ.
    Dec 13, 2003
    Its a great game. I never get tired of it. I loved the music. Gameplay rules. NEXT: NBA Live 2004
  21. MichaelC.
    Dec 12, 2003
    Madden 2004 moves entirely too fast. The 2003 version moves more smoothly, and more realistic. When you add equiptment to a player, for example long sleeves, if the weather happens to be hot, the computer will take the long sleeves off for you. A player cannot have long sleeves and arm pads, and other combinations. The 2003 version allows the players to wear what they want, when they Madden 2004 moves entirely too fast. The 2003 version moves more smoothly, and more realistic. When you add equiptment to a player, for example long sleeves, if the weather happens to be hot, the computer will take the long sleeves off for you. A player cannot have long sleeves and arm pads, and other combinations. The 2003 version allows the players to wear what they want, when they want. Madden 2004 is a definite downgrade from 2003. I've played it once and put it away. 2003 is the best Madden ever made in my opinion. Expand
  22. STLRam
    Nov 24, 2003
    10 critics gave it 100/100 - that says everything about a quite simply magnificent game. They keep improving it every year, and if they could only do the same for 'soccer' with FIFA we wouldnt have to put up with Pro Evo's obvious flaws. Who do TotalGames.net thnk they are? "The best American Football game you can get" and they give it 69/100. What are you on?!?
  23. HolocaustBob
    Nov 17, 2003
    Madden is THE BEST SPORTS TITLE EVER CREATED!!!! this game has it all.depth,depth and more depth does not grow old keeps gettin better.now if they can put CFL teams in there it would get a 10. CFL TEAMS JOHN!!CFL!!!
  24. Jby
    Nov 16, 2003
    Good game, gets boring after a while.
  25. Jby
    Nov 16, 2003
    Good game, gets boring after a while.
  26. BillParcells
    Nov 7, 2003
    If only this was real life I already have the quaterback and running back of the future for the Cowboys. Create a player is great. Game play is excellent, and you'll never get bored with this one.
  27. Steveh.
    Nov 3, 2003
    The game is the best. in my franchise i moved the eagles to L.A. and built my brand new stadium. that was awesome to me..now only if that could really happen...
  28. Davo
    Oct 28, 2003
    You could lock me away with it for 30 franchise years, although fran mode does lose its edge once all of today's players hang up their boots.
  29. LarryA.
    Oct 27, 2003
    This game is f....n awesome!!!
  30. JutinM.
    Oct 25, 2003
    This game is great. the graphics are great. the game play is nice.this is one of the best games i played.
  31. Me
    Oct 24, 2003
    It's awesome. i renamed dallas coach to parcells and it looks awesome.
  32. FernieL.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Madden 2004 is the best yet. I just love it. The only issue I have with it is "where is Bill Parcells?" Even with the updated patch the Dallas Cowboys coach name is listed as "Dallas Coach." What's up with that?
  33. SF49er
    Oct 8, 2003
    They couldn't have done a much better job with this game. Gameplay is excellent, they've made it more realistic. I never owned 03, but i have 02 and in 02, the player movement was just so weird, they stood straight up and when you were running the ball and tried to make them cut back, they just turned direction instead of making a move and it just looked really stupid. Also, They couldn't have done a much better job with this game. Gameplay is excellent, they've made it more realistic. I never owned 03, but i have 02 and in 02, the player movement was just so weird, they stood straight up and when you were running the ball and tried to make them cut back, they just turned direction instead of making a move and it just looked really stupid. Also, when tackling, they just dove and touched the ball carrier and he would fall and it didn't look natural. But in 04, thet tackling and catching and running and throwing animations are attractive. Also, in old games, you could never intercept a lot of passes, causes fumbles, return kicks for tds, or score defensive tds , unless maybe you cranked the computers AI down. In 04, you can do all these things enough like in the NFL, but it isn't ridiculous (you won't pick off 5 passes a game, but you won't go 5 games without an INT). The create a player, create a team, etc...all excellent. Superb. And you have summer training camp which is fun, and you can increase your player's attributes. I love that feature. My only complaint is they make the training camp too short. But this game is superb. I'd say...maybe 96, 97, 98 out of 100. But on the 10 scale, it gets a 10. Expand
  34. JacobH.
    Oct 5, 2003
    I can't say anything it is GREAT!!!!! owners mode is awesome the game is awesome the graphics are awesome the game is the best.
  35. JoeSchmoe
    Oct 5, 2003
    This is the best installment in the Madden series. There is the new owner mode and the mini camp thing, and this game is also awesome online. The graphics in this game are tight, and the gameplay is better than any other football game out there.
  36. JohnC.
    Oct 4, 2003
    Look people. I have been a Madden fan since the beginning. But for look, player control and everything "except" fran stuff, the ans is ESPN. Just rent it and become a believer.
  37. JoeB.
    Sep 28, 2003
    I didn't notice many improvements from the previous version that made a significant difference. I prefer Gameday 2004 for gameplay, play selection, running game, and the realisticness.
  38. MarshallB.
    Sep 22, 2003
    The makers of madden 2004 of far out done themselves this year. With the new owner mode and the mini camps to help imorove players faster is just awesome.
    Sep 20, 2003
    Best ever dude.
  40. Sweetdude
    Sep 20, 2003
    This is the best madden yet with all the new owner mode feaures. Building a staium has never been more fun.
  41. Richie
    Sep 15, 2003
    The Best Yet!!!!
  42. Zach
    Sep 11, 2003
    It's definitely the best sports game out there. no football game can compare to this. it Da best.
  43. JamalS.
    Sep 9, 2003
    EA Sports and TIburon football games are the only kind I play. You all out did yourselves this year great. Can't wait until next year.
  44. Joe
    Sep 8, 2003
    I think the gameplay's solid and the offseason franchise is great. But, I borrowed ESPN and found myself playing it more. It's gameplay is smoother, and it seemd a little more realistic. But I already spent money on Madden, so I won't buy ESPN. Maybe next year.
  45. MisterM.
    Sep 7, 2003
    A good game overall, although running game still has some flaws. Passing the ball still requires more control.
  46. BobG.
    Aug 31, 2003
    The best game to buy this year is madden if you dont get it you should be shot - dont get me rong its the same thing but ten times better - i love how you can chanalenget the play and also the new playmaker control is amazing.
  47. Corey:-)
    Aug 23, 2003
    Perfect 10
  48. BobR.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Best football game ever.
  49. DaleM.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Another year, another fantastic game!!! What can I say, EA Sports have their crap together. The reason for the 9 on the rating is the fact that John Madden is as irritating on the game as he is in real life. He's sounding too damned old, and Al Micheals sounds like he is having as much fun with the commentary as he is having his legs waxed by Beulah.
  50. AndrewC.
    Aug 18, 2003
    Why couldn't they make this more like NCAA? NCAA is a classic from Tiburon, but this game has horrid graphics, lacks a deep playbook with different formations, and the commentary is repetitive. The owner mode is solid, and I have no complaints there, but if EA wants to keep up with Sega, they have their work cut out for them.
  51. MaddenHater
    Aug 18, 2003
    I have played every Madden game that has ever came out. Every year they still SUCK. The new 2004 NCAA Football game is the best football game there is. Your runningbacks actually truck defenders, a created FB that stand 7 foot and weights 300 pounds cannot easily be tackled by a skinny little FS. This years madden games is not different than last years. THe only things different is the I have played every Madden game that has ever came out. Every year they still SUCK. The new 2004 NCAA Football game is the best football game there is. Your runningbacks actually truck defenders, a created FB that stand 7 foot and weights 300 pounds cannot easily be tackled by a skinny little FS. This years madden games is not different than last years. THe only things different is the Stadium and Owner mode. Which makes no sense to me cause its a football game. If you want to own and build things then play Simcity. This is a football game PERIOD. I asume the makers knew this game would suck so they added some irrelivant features to it. The point is; don't waste your 5 bucks renting it and I will go as far to say to not even waste the gas in your car to go to the store to rent it. I will stick to college games from now on. After last years game I said I will never buy another madden game again, and I made a smart choice by renting this POS first. I am glad I did, I will never rent nor play another madden game again. You'd be better off spending the money on a dog, train him to catch a fresbie then use the Madden disk to throw in place of a fresbie. Expand
  52. TravisC.
    Aug 17, 2003
    I don't know if I can even find the words. The plays, mini-camp, drafting, signing, revamping your stadium....I'm numb. The BEST football sim ever! It's too bad that I have to sleep...it's taking away important Madden time...
  53. JimmyS.
    Aug 16, 2003
    Grrreeat game. my only complaint about the game is the skin tones. how do black players end up looking like a white person who has been in a tanning parlor? with all the work that the ea team put into this game, you would think they would get the skin tones right...
  54. FrankieB.
    Aug 16, 2003
    Not realistic. Take it from an actual football player, buy ESPN NFL Football 2004. If it is anything like NFL 2K3 it will have far and away better gameplay then Madden. But if you are in it for the Franchise Mode, Madden deserves a 10/10. I will never seem to understand why EA doesn't takes ESPN NFL Football 2004 gameplay and keeps its own Franchise. Untill that happens, no football Not realistic. Take it from an actual football player, buy ESPN NFL Football 2004. If it is anything like NFL 2K3 it will have far and away better gameplay then Madden. But if you are in it for the Franchise Mode, Madden deserves a 10/10. I will never seem to understand why EA doesn't takes ESPN NFL Football 2004 gameplay and keeps its own Franchise. Untill that happens, no football game should deserve a 10. Collapse
  55. OBL
    Aug 15, 2003
    American football sucks, why do we even call it football when they dont touch the ball with their feet..thats really stupid. why do we use a slang word to describe Association Football (soccer) soccer comes from Assoc. an abreiviation of Association. personally i cant wait for fifa 2004, footsoccerball is way better than gridiron, its just extra protection rugby ahahahaha, have any of youAmerican football sucks, why do we even call it football when they dont touch the ball with their feet..thats really stupid. why do we use a slang word to describe Association Football (soccer) soccer comes from Assoc. an abreiviation of Association. personally i cant wait for fifa 2004, footsoccerball is way better than gridiron, its just extra protection rugby ahahahaha, have any of you guys seen real rugby, its so cool, no protection or nothing (apat from gumshields) and its proper brutal comapared to NFL. who would wanna play a crappy NFL game (yawn) when you could play a EXCITING soccer game. Expand
  56. GabeFenn
    Aug 15, 2003
    This just may be one of the best EA Sports games out there, or who am I kidding this is the best Football game out, for all time and will remain the same until EA can beat itself up, once again. This game is so awesome in graphics as wella s gameplay and control playing (for the PS2, atleast).
  57. JoshG.
    Aug 14, 2003
    This game doesn't let down, from the music, to the overall look (I love how you can custom it so your fav. team shows up on the main screen), the mini-camp within the franchise mode is genius...except when you get to level 3 and lose all your points. :( It can't be a 10 though, because the commentary is still lacking in the game. With chopping conversations and bad voice This game doesn't let down, from the music, to the overall look (I love how you can custom it so your fav. team shows up on the main screen), the mini-camp within the franchise mode is genius...except when you get to level 3 and lose all your points. :( It can't be a 10 though, because the commentary is still lacking in the game. With chopping conversations and bad voice inflections with both Al and Madden. However, this game is so deep that this just is a minor detail that needs to be worked out for next year. Great job EA. Expand
  58. BillK.
    Aug 13, 2003
    I'm so awe-struck I don't even know what to say. So deep its almost daunting. You could skip the actual game and it would still be one of the best business sims out there. You could skip the sim part and its still the best sports game ever (with only Winning Eleven 6 being close). From Training Camp Mini Games to unlocking Hall of Famers for future drafts to building your own I'm so awe-struck I don't even know what to say. So deep its almost daunting. You could skip the actual game and it would still be one of the best business sims out there. You could skip the sim part and its still the best sports game ever (with only Winning Eleven 6 being close). From Training Camp Mini Games to unlocking Hall of Famers for future drafts to building your own stadium...Madden 2004 literally has everything you could wish for in a football game. The programmers/designers should pull their Sharpies from their socks...another TD! Expand
  59. YomiA
    Aug 13, 2003
    The best football game ever created! Salute for EA!
  60. DamonF.
    Aug 13, 2003
    There isn't and there will not be a better football game than Madden 2004. It has everything that a "real" football would want. The new playmaker option is unbelievable!! If you don't buy this game, your missing out on something special!! Highly recommend!!!
  61. Jamesthedude
    Aug 12, 2003
    Best football game ever...madden keeps getting better and better.
  62. JeffC.
    Aug 11, 2003
    Deep, thorough, badass.
  63. DerekK.
    Aug 10, 2003
    Best game ever! cant wait to get started on my stadium!
  64. JoelCamp
    Aug 9, 2003
    Real men play Espn Football. Has a couple nice new features but doesnt compare to Espn Football: It has the new 1st person football mode (how cool is that), OVER 1500 Unlockable items INCLUDING buying shi t for your football players house (the crib) like a air hockey table, and yeah, you can play against a friend on it or by youreself. So you can buy Madden now, take the easy way minus theReal men play Espn Football. Has a couple nice new features but doesnt compare to Espn Football: It has the new 1st person football mode (how cool is that), OVER 1500 Unlockable items INCLUDING buying shi t for your football players house (the crib) like a air hockey table, and yeah, you can play against a friend on it or by youreself. So you can buy Madden now, take the easy way minus the cool features, or be a man and wait til September when the rest of us get an actually decent football game. You wont find 1st person footbal, nor The Crib, but you will find the playmaker thing........cool, no really it is lol. Be smart, go ESPN. Expand
  65. AnthonyG.
  69. MikeJ.
    Jul 31, 2003
    It rocks!

#6 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003

1. It's so good, I find it humorous that ESPN uses Madden for its pre-game show.
    Knocks the chin strap up around the nose of the competition. It's simply the most realistic simulation of football available, and once again, the industry standard.
  3. Just about the only bad thing about Madden NFL 2004 is the bar that it sets. EA Sports has one hell of a challenge waiting in the wings, trying to improve on a masterful title like this.