7.9

1. Nov 7, 2013
    This game was a surprise.. and what a pleasant one! After enduring the first half hour of the game (which is its worst part you have to watch the cutscenes that seemingly last forever, and don't get a chance to save the game until they are over) I realised, that I came upon a gem. I found a game, that in a genius way solves many typical rpg/jrpg issues that usually irritated me so much.This game was a surprise.. and what a pleasant one! After enduring the first half hour of the game (which is its worst part you have to watch the cutscenes that seemingly last forever, and don't get a chance to save the game until they are over) I realised, that I came upon a gem. I found a game, that in a genius way solves many typical rpg/jrpg issues that usually irritated me so much. The story was nothing special, but I did make me laugh a few times (and facepalm a few times more) theres not much to say about it. The thing that made me spent 50+ hours with this game, are without any doubt the battle system and the great battle soundtrack. The leveling up system makes grinding pointless, instead you increase your characters power by performing alchemy synthesis this is a fun feature, although it is sometimes tiring to get/make the item which is required for an item, that is required for an item... and so on. Still, it is fun overall. Since I wrote, that the selling point of this game is its battle system, let me give an example why I think so:

Take Final Fantasy X for instance although I really liked the game, team management was tiresome... If you wanted everyone to get XP from a battle, you had to switch a character into the battle, execute a single hit or heal with that character and suddenly this character would receive FULL XP points for that battle... because of this I had 3 main characters, and 3 supports that 90% of the time only went into battle for the single hit to get XP so they wouldn't drop behind.

In Mana Khemia 2 you have a maximum of 6 characters in your party, and ALL OF THEM COUNT. No choosing, you will want to, and you will use all of them. That's because of the switch in/out mechanism. When you have more than 3 characters, three are in the vanguard formation, and the rest of them act as support. During an attack or guarding from an enemy attack, you can swap characters if you have a support that is ready to be switched in. Characters that are in support regain their skill points (used for skills) with time, and can execute special actions when swapping in to battle (for example canceling an opponents attack, increasing defense of the whole party for that attack). This makes you want to change the positions of your characters frequently and strategically. It also adds dynamism to an otherwise turn-based combat, as the time for making the decision of performing support-attack and support-defense is limited so the swapping in/out actions are fast and don't slow down the battles pace.

In fact, I am honestly surprised why haven't other companies tried to "adopt" this solution to their games.

Graphically I find the battle animations great, and overall game presentation great. However, because this game is anime-stylish it may not appeal to everyone.

Sound I played many GUST games, and every single one of them had a great, fitting soundtrack. This game is no exception, and with its both battle and map themes it takes one of the top positions in my gaming OST ranking.

So to conclude honestly I would recommend this game to anyone, that isn't allergic to anime-looking games, because of its genius battle system, fun alchemy system, and an excellent soundtrack. I am really really glad I didn't skip this game.

If you like anime-stylish games this is a must have.
    If you can bear with it I suggest you try it out.
    If you are allergic to such games you'r missing out.
  2. Nov 15, 2014
    The very best Mana Khemia / Atelier Iris game EVER.

Incredible replay value with the different endings system being refined, TWO stories at the price of one game, fun and interesting side stories, interesting and fun characters, this game has it all.

And sadly, the very last GOOD Atelier Iris game, as any other for ps3 is just garbage. This is the very best JRPG for Ps2.

But all of you gamers who tend to have the same tastes I do in RPGs should not miss out on this one. It really is a ton of fun to play.
  2. The individual elements of Mana Khemia 2 are nothing special, really, though this is one game that is certainly greater than the sum of its parts. The story doesn't take itself seriously, but the gameplay here packs quite a punch.
    Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy continues the NIS tradition of solid RPG love with a quirky twist. If you enjoyed the first game then the second one will truly impress thanks to all of its improvements over the original. However, if you were not a fan then the improvements may not be enough to sway your opinion.