9.0

1. Mar 14, 2014
    I incredibly enjoyed Mercenaries due to the Open World experience only before seen in Grand Theft Auto. The thought that there are other things than the main story was mind-blowing when I first played it, having not played any Grand Theft Auto game at that time. The dynamic environment was what sealed the deal for me. The ability to blow up buildings, hijack helicopters and call inI incredibly enjoyed Mercenaries due to the Open World experience only before seen in Grand Theft Auto. The thought that there are other things than the main story was mind-blowing when I first played it, having not played any Grand Theft Auto game at that time. The dynamic environment was what sealed the deal for me. The ability to blow up buildings, hijack helicopters and call in airstrikes? This game was amazing!

The only reason this is a 9 and not 10 is because there were a few annoying Glitches I found in the game.
  2. KieranS.
    Dec 15, 2008
    I first played this great game when I was 10. Right now I am 11 and I have had the most fun in the world playing this game!! The game itself has very good graphics and great sound effects!! For any people out there who like a challenge, you have come to the right game. Although, you might not like it if you hate killing, because let me tell you: "There is a whole lot of it going on in I first played this great game when I was 10. Right now I am 11 and I have had the most fun in the world playing this game!! The game itself has very good graphics and great sound effects!! For any people out there who like a challenge, you have come to the right game. Although, you might not like it if you hate killing, because let me tell you: "There is a whole lot of it going on in this game!!" I personally don't like killing, but this is a great game. Expand
  3. AMttJ.
    Nov 29, 2008
    Perfection on PS2; it's not often people say that in 2008, but it truly is. Shame that the sequel looks like a sloppy port that I won't even consider purchasing.
  4. kieranH
    Jul 6, 2008
    A fantastic game and is a great alternative to gta, infact its better in my opinion. I spend half my time during the game just blowing up NK soldiers and cars with all sorts of weapons and t if u need help during the game use a airstrike to blow the crap out of it . Heaps of replay value. u can even hijack helicopters!!!
    Feb 26, 2007
    One of the best games ever. Sooooooooo glad they're releasing the sequel for the PS2 too. That'll be the day. See a little oil puddle under that truck full of troopers? Throw a match and blow the "living crap out of it."
  6. TheoK.
    Sep 29, 2006
    It is a fab shooting game. Best one yet!
  7. AndyM.
    Jul 31, 2006
    Do what you want. Kill who you want. Side with who you want. Steal what you want. It's like GTA only without language, blood, and as much violence. In other words, a 10-year-old-kid friendly GTA.
  8. OliverW.
    Jul 9, 2006
    ten out of ten. Its a great game flawless graphics, great gameplay. Overall very fun game buy it now!
  9. PjotrK.
    Dec 31, 2005
    Huge game. Always nice to see a very playable and enjoyable game, especially when it gives lots of missions for the money. How many games are out there that give you the task to hunt down 52 baddies and on top of that give you another 32 missions? And if that isn't enough to entice you.... don't forget that you not only can drive anything, fly the helicopters but can destroy Huge game. Always nice to see a very playable and enjoyable game, especially when it gives lots of missions for the money. How many games are out there that give you the task to hunt down 52 baddies and on top of that give you another 32 missions? And if that isn't enough to entice you.... don't forget that you not only can drive anything, fly the helicopters but can destroy anything, vehicles, buildings, bridges. Anything, except trees. I've just tried "battlefield 2: modern combat" and although it is much younger it doesn't allow that and that really detracts from the realism and enjoyment. Are their games that are more realistic? Sure. Are there games that have better graphics? Sure. Is it silly that you're character can't stand water or that the trees are undistructable. Ofcourse. But you'll be hard pressed to find any game in it's genre that give you that much enjoyment for that much time. Expand
  10. Gazcomsat
    Nov 19, 2005
    Probably my all-time favourite game. Well balanced missions combined with great animation and freedom to do anything and go anywhere makes this a truly wonderful game. This is the only game I've ever wanted to go back to and complete a second time. The explosions are some of the best I've seen in any game with debris seemingly coming right at you in 3D! Great weapons, huge Probably my all-time favourite game. Well balanced missions combined with great animation and freedom to do anything and go anywhere makes this a truly wonderful game. This is the only game I've ever wanted to go back to and complete a second time. The explosions are some of the best I've seen in any game with debris seemingly coming right at you in 3D! Great weapons, huge selection of cars, helicopters tanks etc to steal and blow up. Superb, almost flawless game that I can't recommend highly enough. Expand
  11. SamF.
    Oct 6, 2005
    Mercenaries at first glance might look and play like the GTA games, but once you start playing you realize only the Freedom of go anywhere do anything is the same. You have the ability to call in airstrikes, Airdrops, and destroy anything you see in the envirement. this game's only flaw is the sometimes difficulty you have when in close prroximty on foot Trying to shoot. Not your Mercenaries at first glance might look and play like the GTA games, but once you start playing you realize only the Freedom of go anywhere do anything is the same. You have the ability to call in airstrikes, Airdrops, and destroy anything you see in the envirement. this game's only flaw is the sometimes difficulty you have when in close prroximty on foot Trying to shoot. Not your average game as this one really lets every possible scenerio you could imagine a reality...steal any vehicle and go about missions anyway you choose...Truly an amazing achievement! Expand
  12. FrameWork
    Aug 20, 2005
    Blow stuff up Blow it up some more hard day at the office this is the perfect tool.
  13. George
    Aug 10, 2005
    This game was awesome and has a lot to offer. The bad thing is that there is little to explore and you cannot go back to veryfying people on the deck of 52 that you already passed.
  14. ChrisT.
    Jul 22, 2005
    Is one of the best games i have ever played if it moves you can steal it or kill it. it is like Gta in korea.
  15. ThorB.
    Jun 6, 2005
    I'm playing this game right now and it is terrific. I havent gotten very far, ive only completed about 7 missions or so. But it's one of my top games right now. GTA meets the war series is what this game is and i love it.
  16. KeithL.
    Apr 12, 2005
    Outstanding Game. Nice graphics. Good game physics and game play. I'm going through a second time to see if I can catch all the cards without killing any of them. Tons of game play possibilities and experimentation. If it had a bit more plot and a tad stronger stealth element, I'd give it a ten. It deserves a ten, anyway.
  17. JoshC.
    Mar 12, 2005
    This game is incredible!!! the detail and airstrikes! its faultless!!! if you dont buy this game there is something actually wrong with you....
  18. MikeB.
    Mar 8, 2005
    This game is the best game i have ever played. It's like a cross between GTA and SOCOM. It's whole plot, and the ability to free roam are awesome!
  19. Zach
    Mar 2, 2005
    Best game i have played in a while.It is like grand theft auto but better.The plot is fairly realistic too.
  20. Marty
    Feb 27, 2005
    Amazing... Explosions, Guns, Vehicles, Gamesplay, Map... Amazing.
  21. Bigguy
    Feb 23, 2005
    Really enjoy the game. cant seem to put it down. while there are some very little flaws, i would still recommend it to anyone.
  22. RyanG.
    Feb 23, 2005
    It's one of the best games i ve played better than san-andreas.
  23. BlakeY.
    Feb 20, 2005
    Great game, lots of action. Similar qualities to GTA San Andreas in driving and theft. Huge explosions and plenty of crap to blow the hell out of.
  24. EfeB.
    Feb 20, 2005
    I usually dont believe in hype, so i was skeptical before hand. now that i have played for 2 full days in a row, i must say that mercenaries is as fun a videogame can ever be. the structure is like GTA...meaning, you can do your own thing and goto specific houses for "missions". actually, GTA san-andreas kicks mercenaries butt in terms of freedom and variety, but mercenaries is a warI usually dont believe in hype, so i was skeptical before hand. now that i have played for 2 full days in a row, i must say that mercenaries is as fun a videogame can ever be. the structure is like GTA...meaning, you can do your own thing and goto specific houses for "missions". actually, GTA san-andreas kicks mercenaries butt in terms of freedom and variety, but mercenaries is a war game...so, you know...you cannot actually call an airstrike and blow up everything you see in GTA, that is for mercenaries exlusive!. you get to control 3 "heros", yet you get to pick one only at first. there are lots of vehicles and armored military stuff to drive as well as helicopters. the controls on the helicopters could have been better since you cannot pan the camera around the vehicle...this bothers me aaah....so much. but the flight controls are good. the weather is kind of muddy all the time...when you take off with the chopper and get a medium altitude, you cannot even see whats below...its so muddy, foggy and...anyway, why can't it be sunny?...i dont know. now, another thing...i like "rag-doll" effects alot in games, such as hitman and punisher, i still havent figured out if this game uses rag doll system, sometimes it kind of looks like it does but in most times the enemy dies the same way (especially when shot with a gun). so, thats another complaint of mine...it also would have been better to go inside bulidings...am i asking too much?...well...the game HAS alot going for it though, i mean there are lots of things to do and almost all of it are fun. i love the "fugitive capture" missions, where you go and hunt down wanted people, similar to the iraq war "playing cards...ace of clubs, 8th of spades" kind of thing. cool. Expand
  25. GregS.
    Feb 17, 2005
    This game fetchin rocks. i just rented it and i havent been able to do my homework since i picked up the controller to play it. i love the missions and how much you can do with the game. it is a big interactive game and i love it. go out and buy it!
  26. BuddyLee
    Feb 7, 2005
    I love this game. It reminds me of Grand Theft Auto, but militarily based. I love stealing vehicles and calling in drops for cars, supplies or air strikes. i just got this 2 days ago and have played it none stop.
  27. DaveA.
    Feb 5, 2005
    Mercenaries is one of the greatest games that I have played (Thus Far). It has its strengths and its weaknesses. More strengths that the alternative. Here is a list of each: Strengths: Large-Scale detailed environment Almost fully destructable environment Constant war to keep you on you toes tons of weapons and vehicles weaknesses: Not-so-good stealth system weather never changes and Mercenaries is one of the greatest games that I have played (Thus Far). It has its strengths and its weaknesses. More strengths that the alternative. Here is a list of each: Strengths: Large-Scale detailed environment Almost fully destructable environment Constant war to keep you on you toes tons of weapons and vehicles weaknesses: Not-so-good stealth system weather never changes and there is no night time (except in certain missions) Overall it is an excellent game and is 100% worth the price. Expand
  28. UberMench
    Feb 1, 2005
    Best game in the world i loved it.
  29. CoryM.
    Jan 27, 2005
    Seems like it runs off of a GTA engine, but propably not. It is a very fun game and action packed.
  30. BryanS.
    Jan 26, 2005
    I just got this game, and so far it is pretty damn good. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is so hard to aim at your enemies. Other than that, its great.
  31. PhilM.
    Jan 23, 2005
    I know it's easy to make the GTA comparisons but they don't really stick. This is much more a free-roaming extreme arcade game. Most fun I've had in ages.
  32. JoshG.
    Jan 19, 2005
    This game kicks ass. the grand theft auto thing really helped it out and the explosions are great.
  33. JohnnieL.
    Jan 17, 2005
    Awesome shooing action. If you like a game were you can just go shoot to kill this is the one for you.
  34. JamieD.
    Jan 17, 2005
    I just got this game and so far I love it. You can blow up everything. I can't give it a ten because I am not sure how long it will take to clear this game, but I can't imagine not playing it through with each of the three unique characters. My favorite part is calling in a stealth bomber attack and watching a whole group of building fall to the ground. And flying the I just got this game and so far I love it. You can blow up everything. I can't give it a ten because I am not sure how long it will take to clear this game, but I can't imagine not playing it through with each of the three unique characters. My favorite part is calling in a stealth bomber attack and watching a whole group of building fall to the ground. And flying the helicopters is fun too. You need this game for your collection if you enjoy shooter games at all. :) Expand
  35. MikeZ.
    Jan 12, 2005
    The comparison to GTA is obvious, but the game seems to be a great combination of some of the best 3rd person games. Not original, but compared to some of the other attempts, this one works. It's actually, if you pardon the references, a combo of GTA, Freedom Fighters and to a lesser extent, SOCOM. But it stands on it's own merits where the controls are almost flawless, the game The comparison to GTA is obvious, but the game seems to be a great combination of some of the best 3rd person games. Not original, but compared to some of the other attempts, this one works. It's actually, if you pardon the references, a combo of GTA, Freedom Fighters and to a lesser extent, SOCOM. But it stands on it's own merits where the controls are almost flawless, the game play is intense, the audio is incredible and the effects are stunning. To me, its greatest assets are the particle effects. When you blow something up, it doesn't look like the last explosion and it happens structurally as you would imagine it would. The HUD is well laid out and doesn Expand
  36. G.Weeks
    Jan 6, 2005
    This will revolutionize the GTA genre with things like evrything is destroyable, and there's pretty much n e thing to steal.
  37. GarettElmer
    Jan 5, 2005
    Must Buy Instantly!

1. A rare gem that surpasses expectations and stands as an extremely fun and engaging action game.
  2. In the end, a pared-down multi-player extravaganza does not a great single-player experience make. This game has a lot of good things going for it, but they exist in departments that ultimately don’t matter.
  3. One of the few games that has a lot of flaws but still manages to be a blast to play. There are numerous glitches and bugs, and the game’s pacing can be a bit slow (driving from area to area), but once you get in a big ol’ firefight, those things become distant memories.